You Asked

by HEAB on July 11, 2009

More Q & A along with some random eats as of late:

Q: JB asks I’m curious as to how much sleep you get. I’ve heard tips from you about water, sugar, excess cardio, and lots of other things, but never sleep! About what time do you go to bed and wake up?  If you have sleeping tips, I’d be super grateful to hear these.

A: I’m a big fan of sleep and function best on 8 to 9 hours.  Mornings are my most productive time of the day, and I love waking up between 5 & 6 AM.  Therefore, I try to be in bed by 9, although I’m usually yawning by 8.   I’m grateful that I have no problems in the sleep department, but I will say that I have trouble sleeping if I’m hungry.  So, I always have a little carby snack before bed…that’s a lie, it’s usually a pretty big snack like a bowl of oatmeal.  OK, so it’s another meal, but it helps me sleep through the night. :) Sleep is so important you guys!  Without enough, our bodies get stressed, and stress can lead to illness and all kinds of problems.  My sleep advice is to try and go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday, limit your caffeine intake to the mornings, and eat a little something if your belly is talking to ya.

Egg salad sandwich made with eggs, mashed avocado, and hummus served in lettuce bread Polly style.

Q: Darcie asks Where do you buy your chia seeds from?  I want to get some but would rather buy them in a store than order online.

A: I order my chia seeds online from www.chiaseedsdirect.com.  However, I’ve also seen them at my local Whole Foods in the supplement section next to the ground flax seeds.  For comparison’s sake, ChiaSeedsDirect charges $35.99 for 4.5 lbs of seeds (includes shipping) while Whole Foods charges $19.99 for 1 pound.

Q: Maggie asks If you had to pick one thing to eat forever, what would it be?

A: This was a tough one, but I think the answer is tortilla chips.

I call this one Broccoli Busting Through by HEAB

I call this one Broccoli Busting Through Hummus Omelet by HEAB

Q: Susan asks What do your friends and family think of you always turning down

traditional desserts?

A: My friends and family are really cool with me not eating sugar, and they’re very encouraging of my healthy eating habits. Often, they just put me in charge of dessert. I’ll bring an all raw pie or bake up a batch of nut butter cookies, and I love coconut milk ice-cream…and yes, it’s sweetened with agave. My brother and I had lunch on Friday, and he had the following to say: I think it’s great but I’ve avoided sweets for years as well.

Me and my little brother...isn't he cute?!?

Scottie, sorry I ate the whole basket of chips...and your guac.

Q: Roxy Polly asks If you could change your name to any name, what would it

be?

A: I’ve loved the name Grey ever since reading about Lady Jane Grey in a high-school history class.  She was an incredible young woman put to death for her beliefs.  In fact, she’s one of the reasons I chose to be a history major.

Q: CD asks How did you score such a good looking husband?

A: This got nothing but a roll of the eyes. ;)

That wraps up this session of HEAB Q & A.  More to come soon.  I leave you with my FAVORITE meal of the weekend thus far:

The oat bran was good, but topping was ever better!

The oat bran was good, but the topping was ever better.

As promised, I whipped up a batch of So Delicious coconut milk kefir ABU…it’s AMAZING!

Wow, it’s way past my bedtime.  Night.

yogiclarebear July 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm

thanks for posting the QA heather, its fun to read this stuff!

ive got to have a warm oatmeal tummy before bed too.

carolinebee July 11, 2009 at 11:08 pm

good Q’s and A’s! I’ll try to think of one as I go off to get my 9 hours :D

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) July 11, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Sleeping 9 hours is definitely my best too, but 8 will do me just fine. Once I get down to the sevens, not so hot and 6….hooo-eee I am not a happy camper.
I’ve heard that you can buy chia seeds on Amazon for cheap as well, although I don’t know about the quality and the source.
Great Q & A!

Melissa July 11, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Sleep is good…but more importantly…is your brother single?!?! ;)

Maggie July 11, 2009 at 11:57 pm

I love your answer. Very unexpected!

Kyle July 12, 2009 at 12:12 am

So, we eat oat bran as a “cereal”….can we do that with other brans too?

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 12, 2009 at 12:49 am

I love the Q & A action! Here’s another question for you: describe your PERFECT day. What would you do? Who would be there? What would you eat?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, HEAB!!!

Trilby Drew July 12, 2009 at 12:58 am

Ironically, I’m reading your advice about sleep and it is already WAY past my bedtime. Yikes! It’s 11:58 pm here in Tucson! Where did the evening go?! I’m off to sleep, with visions of almond butter dancing through my head…

Lara (Thinspired) July 12, 2009 at 2:41 am

HA! When I first read CD’s question I didn’t read who asked it. I was thinking, “That’s an odd question for a reader to ask!” LOL.

coco July 12, 2009 at 5:23 am

great Q&A to get know more about you! sleep is so necessary and I think a little or big snack of carbs really helps, but the most important thing is to de-stress!!! I used to have trouble with sleep well, because I was unconsciously stressed out!

RunToFinish July 12, 2009 at 5:47 am

fantastic information as always and how did CD get such a cute wife?

VeggieGirl July 12, 2009 at 5:53 am

Love the Q&A’s and your recent favorite meal!! Mmm…

~Jessica~ July 12, 2009 at 6:13 am

It’s fantastic that you have such a supportive family and what you had to say about sleep was so true, although I seem to function best on about five hours…I can’t think of a time when I’ve slept much longer than that other than when I was recovering from emergency surgery!

Mmm, what a delicious ‘bowl’ of oat bran. I love how you eat exactly how YOU want to and don’t get influenced by other people or food fads. Your creations are so original and it’s wonderful that you’re such an indidualist in a world populated by so many people with a ‘sheep’ mentality. Good for you!

Callinae July 12, 2009 at 7:07 am

Oh my goodness, it’s SO nice to know I’m not the only one who goes to bed at 10 or so and wakes up at 5. Seriously! I feel like as a young female, I’m completely expected to be a night owl… only once nighttime rolls around, I can’t even keep my eyes open! It’s seriously been a damper on my late-night socializing ;) But I really love mornings, so guess it’s a perfectly fine tradeoff!

Nice to know I’m not alone!

The Fit Collegiate July 12, 2009 at 7:29 am

I am SUCH a stickler about getting 8 to 9 hours…if I know I have to get up early the next morning, I try to cut my night short. I’m with you; I am such a natural morning bird and believe that morning is the best part of the day. A good deal of that could be due to the fact that mornings=oatbran!

Cecilia July 12, 2009 at 7:32 am

LOL at CD’s question. Actually, if you don’t mind – how do you and CD meet (or hook up)? HAHA … yup, I’m nosey like that! :D

Erin July 12, 2009 at 7:39 am

I loved HEAB FAQ session. I think Lady Jane Grey is soooo cool too!!! Yay for history (and English, in my case) nerds.
I wish I could get to sleep that early, mornings are my favorite too. I’ve been having more trouble sleeping these past few months. Usually, I’m out like a light.

Shelby July 12, 2009 at 7:48 am

I wonder if thats why I don’t sleep late….because I don’t snack before bed and I’m usually really hungry waking up. I always get mad that my friends can sleep until 1pm and I can’t make it past 8am! Maybe I’ll experiment.

Mmm, love tortilla chips too! I think my food would be Sweet potatoes though. Yum.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? July 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

LOVE learning more about you :) Happy Sunday!

Lara July 12, 2009 at 8:38 am

Sleep is one of the most important (and overlooked) factors of a healthy life. Just as important as healthy food and exercise!
So after reading about Chia seeds on your blog for a while I finally took the plunge and bought a small amount to try them out. Had them yesterday for the first time mixed into some Greek yogurt. I really can’t taste them but I did find I was full for so much longer. Next up will be the chia protein oat bran!

psychoj1 July 12, 2009 at 9:08 am

I usually sleep that long as well. Except I go to bed a little later than you. Love all the q&a’s. Haha to the one CD put!
<3 jess
xoxo

justine July 12, 2009 at 9:18 am

HEABS, I have a serious weakness for tortilla chips as well!!! Its evil!! Why did I eat Marble Slab last night? Why did I eat spinach dip and tortillas? Oh, Lord!! I cant balance anything!!!

~Justine

Maria July 12, 2009 at 9:35 am

Thanks for the Q&A, Heather! It was so fun to read with the pictures and the touches of humor added in :D

That sleep question is especially interesting to me. I sleep 8-9 hours too and wake up 5-6am as well. I also get tired around 8, haha!

Love the over flowing omelet and oat bran kefir :)

Erica July 12, 2009 at 9:37 am

Sleep is def an area I need to work on! I have such a tendency to get caught up in my to dos that I don’t ever seem to get enough sleep! Hahah- so with you on the tortilla chips- oh mmmmmmmmm! And CDs question was obviously hilarious

roseyrebecca July 12, 2009 at 10:02 am

I love the Q&A posts!! I agree with you that sleep is incredibly important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If I don’t get enough sleep for a couple days, it definitely effects my eating and exercise habits!

K July 12, 2009 at 10:05 am

I’m like you when it comes to having a nice bedtime snack. I, too, HAVE to have something in my tummy before going to sleep. Usually it’s a nice big bowl of oatmeal with tons of PB, some kind of fruit and milk. Yum! For me, eating before bed does not matter (in terms of weight management). I am such a happier girl with a full tummy!

polly July 12, 2009 at 10:15 am

Heabs,
LOVE you, girl! Just read your email whle enjoying a warm bowl of oatmeal with fresh picked berries. mmm. Favorite foods with my favorite HEABS. :D

I am with ya on the chips! Everything I bet thought you’d say almond butter. Nah… girl, let’s bust open a bag when we get stranded on an island and munch away. Life is short. ;)

Soooo EXCITED for your trip! Beautiful photos and hope yoga is super wonderfully yummy today. Have fun with your friend afterwards and no worries. Church today was so sweet. Timothy and lots about not being afraid, God gave us a spirit that is pretty amazing. At the end of the day, just make HIM proud. Amen.

Love and hugs! Now off to freeze all these beauties on my coutertop!!! Berries coming out our EARS over here!! XOXO

Roxy ;)

JB July 12, 2009 at 11:06 am

thanks for answering my sleep question! that jar of oat bran with coconut milk kefir ABU sounds like breakfast perfection. speaking of oat bran in a jar, i tried it for the first time this week because my AB jar was close to empty, and when i talked about it in my post today i mentioned you! :)

-JB

Simone July 12, 2009 at 11:13 am

I am so totally with you on the needing a snack before bed. Normally I have a little bit of fruit and my new favorite thing, unsweetened coconut milk warmed in the microwave for 1.5 minutes that I add a chai tea teabag to and a squeeze of agave or stevia. It reminds me of the “warm milk” my mom used to make for me when I was little on the nights I could not fall asleep (just the updated and grown-up version). It also kind of reminds me of a warm version of the chai coconut milk at Bonobos in nyc that Gena introduced me to. Crack milk I tell you, haha!

Ruth July 12, 2009 at 11:16 am

Love the questions and answers. Your pics look yummy too

veganfritz July 12, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I’m diggin’ that oat bran & kefir topping. P:

Holly July 12, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I love the Q&A, Heather!! It’s so fun to learn random things about people. And thanks, too, for the sweet comment on my blog. You are really, truly one of the sweetest people I “know.” And, no, I don’t say that to everyone! ;-)

I’m listening to the “Alexi Murdoch” station on Pandora right now. LOVE it. Thank you so much for telling me about it! I’m going to download some of the songs later. I’m JEALOUS you got to see Iron & Wine!

And thanks for the tip about chia seeds. I have yet to go to Whole Foods (the horror!) but that is definitely on my list when I hit up the place.

ttfn300 July 12, 2009 at 3:50 pm

love the q & a :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie July 12, 2009 at 4:10 pm

LOL I can’t stop laughing at CD’s comment/question. Apparently he’s not only good-looking, but very funny as well ;) . Rare find, Heather… err, Miss Lady Grey.

the dainty pig July 12, 2009 at 4:44 pm

great Q&A!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE tortilla chips….oh my, they are so good!

You are so right about the sleep. I have been all about that lately!

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!!

CaSaundra July 12, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I thought I was the only one who konks out by 9ish! I love mornings too! Definitely a morning person–early to rise, early to bed is my motto =)

Meredith July 12, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I totally agree with you about sleep! For a year and a half I only slept 4-6 hours a night because I was a full time students and worked full time (at weird hours — there were only 4 hours the coffee shop was closed each night!). I was always getting sick and most of the time I was either delirious or a cranky emotional mess. Deciding to just focus on school has been such an improvement to my overall health and life!

Katharina July 12, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Oh myyy that coconut milk kefir sounds SO AWESOME!!! :D

I like this Q&A thing you’ve got going on.

charlotte July 12, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Good golly chia seeds are pricey! Do they go a long way? How much is considered one serving? And I too love the tortilla chips and guac. In fact, I think you just gave me a craving. Thanks a lot!!
PS> I love my sleep. And I’m def. an 8-9 hrs a night girl too!

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 12, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Great Q&A! I too love guacamole & all things avocado… :)

MarathonVal July 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Hi Heather, I just recently found your blog and was wondering, are you doing the “raw diet” or just trying to eat raw once and a while – I saw you mentioned raw apple pie. JW since I am trying to transition to raw myself!

HeatherBakes July 13, 2009 at 7:16 am

THANK YOU on the 8-9 hours per night!! My hubbie is fine on 6-7 hrs and gives me a hard time about my need to snooze. Ridiculous.

Great Q&A!

leslie July 13, 2009 at 7:52 am

totally agree on sleep! i need 8-9 hours or i am very cranky.

that abu – genius!

brandi July 13, 2009 at 8:28 am

ha, i love CDs question :)

you two are too cute

glidingcalm July 13, 2009 at 10:45 am

coconut milk kefir abu?! what?!!!!! is that even legal?!

elise July 13, 2009 at 12:06 pm

haha…great Q CD!!

Susan July 13, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Love to hear that 1) you basically eat another meal before bed, and 2) you start yawning at 8pm. Two more reasons why you’re awesome HEAB! Now if only I could convince my boyfriend that my 9pm bedtime is awesome…. :P

Marta July 13, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for answering the questions and for sharing a bit more about yourself with us.
I also LOVE waking up between 5 and 6 am. Getting that early start to the day just makes me feel so energetic, so accomplished, so efficient!

Gena (Choosing Raw) July 13, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Loved this little Q & A, honey! Esp. your response to the dessert question.

{ 1 trackback }