HEAB's Day Part I

by HEAB on July 15, 2009

In response to my request for HEAB questions, Diana asked for an outline of a day in the life of HEAB. Diana, this one’s for you.  :)

I feel weird sharing every detail of a typical day with you as my life is not very exciting.  Therefore, I’m going to break it up into 2 or 3 posts, so you don’t get bored.  Ready?

Every morning, I get up at 5 AM for a little quiet time and some Yoga Sun Salutations:

Namaste

Namaste

Ha, that’s a total lie.  I stumble out of bed and head straight for the coffee pot.

Sometimes, Kath joins me for my morning mug. :)

Sometimes, Kath joins me for my morning mug. :)

By the way, that is my St. Francis of Assisi robe.  It’s a Barefoot Dreams robe I won on eBay.  It’s about 5 sizes too big with a hood, and I LOVE IT!

Yesterday, after feeding the dogs, enjoying one (OK, maybe two) cup(s) of coffee, and catching up on emails, I headed to a park near our house to hike one of my favorite trails.  Sometimes I eat breakfast right away, but lately, I’m trying to wait until I’m truly hungry before my first meal of the day.  I wasn’t hungry before my hike and was good to go with just some java in my system.

The trail is a 2.5 mile loop and usually takes about 40 minutes to complete.

The trail is a 2.5 mile loop and usually takes about 40 minutes to complete.

I fell.

Ouch.

Ouch.

No worries – I always fall and have learned to travel with a first aid kit in my car. I’m a bit of a klutz. :)

After my hike, I ran up the stairs that lead up to the trailhead. Around 140 stairs in a little over 2 minutes.

View from the trailhead looking down.

View from the trailhead looking down.

Afterwards, I ran a few errands…

CD, you're totally cringing right now, aren't you?

CD, you're totally cringing right now, aren't you?

CD requested more oatgurt, and Whole Foods is the only place in town that carries raw oat groats. I also wanted to cash in on this:

Sunshine Burgers are my favorite!

Sunshine Burgers are my favorite!

Many many thanks to Jennifer and Jessica over at KeepItSimpleFoods.com for sending me some blogger love!

After Whole Foods, I drove home and whipped up the pancake breakfast I posted yesterday:

Tropical Pancakes

Tropical Pancakes

I then spent the next couple of hours baking Maple Nut Oaties for various neighbors and my boss (for his birthday), blogging and emailing before CD came home to join me for lunch.  That was my morning in a nutshell – thanks for reading.  In case you didn’t quite get your HEAB fix, stay tuned tomorrow for lunch, work, and dinner.  Can you even stand the excitment?!? ;)

3 batches of oaties.

3 batches of oaties.

By the way, I don’t drink liquids with my meals, but I probably drink 8 – 12 glasses of water

throughout my day between meals.

Oh, and let’s not forget the winner of the my Almond Butter Giveaway. Congratulations Holly! Please email me with your address.

Happy Wednesday!

polly July 15, 2009 at 12:53 pm

hi baby cakes!!

Okay… I almost had a heart attack… I saw HOLLY had won and for some reason my brain THOUGHT is said POLLY… and well… it’s okay. Yay for HOLLY!! :)

I LOVE your days. I wish I could join you on the 2.5 mile loop.

Today has been grand. I looove RUTH! Great pick, Peachy! I read chapter one today.

Okay… I am baking sunshine muffins for Jenn, she just got back from her mission trip to the Dominican Republic… can’t wait to hug her. Love you, sweet peach. Have a fun night, and your life is exciting, it’s full of joy, love, and simple pleasures. What is not to LOVE about that?

Massive hugs……………….. P

Kath July 15, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Loved the recap – esp the mug!! I need to get one myself don’t I…

VeggieGirl July 15, 2009 at 12:58 pm

This is so fun!! I’d love to spend a day with you :-D

Maria July 15, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Pancakes look gorgeous with the caramelized bananas (or are they plantains?). Yummy oaties too!!!

LOL, I need a first aid kit with me too. I am the least coordinated person ever. This is why I cannot play sports that involve a ball–it will more than likely hit me, even if I’m playing by myself ;)

Hehe, your so cute with the robe and mug! Love seeing what your usual day looks like, Heather!

Jess July 15, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I love this feature – thanks for sharing. :D I feel you on the clumsy thing – I’m always wiping out! My balance has gotten better since working out regularly though!

Shannon July 15, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I love this. Your life is interesting to everyone but you, I’m sure.

Do you still do cream in your coffee? I am looking for any excuse to get back on coffee with cream + stevia.

kaneil July 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm

yay! I wish I could walk the blvd and park with you! I miss nashville more every time you mention my favorite spots. :) It’s so weird to think about the fact that I’m SURE we have bumped into one another before. So crazy!

LOVE the day in the life of HEAB!

kaneil, balanceisbest

p.s…still goin on the low low sugar and feeling grrrreat.

buffmuffy July 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm

ouuuuuuch! I’m the same way though, whatever. My boyfriend is complete opposite. he gets a hangnail and starts whining. weird, since he plays football and doesn’t complain… LOL.
-muffy

Melissa July 15, 2009 at 1:07 pm

If you had to make a list of “staples” found in your fridge and pantry…what would it be?
Love the pink in the hair :)

Peace
Melissa

Rose July 15, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Love this feature and can’t wait to read more! Sorry about the crash :(

Hangry Pants July 15, 2009 at 1:19 pm

LOL – DYing when you started to say you woke up at 5 for the sun salutations, but then actually had coffee. :D I wish I could do the yoga instead too.

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 15, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Looks like a beautiful hike! Can’t wait to read more about the rest of your day… :)

Mandy A July 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Hey sweet girl!

Love this post! Sorry about that fall… ouch!!! Do you know I have never really been hiking??? What an awesome way to start our your mornings!

The Maple Nut Oaties look so yummy! I have to tell you, I made your muffins last night and got a BIG thumbs up for JR… and he’s HARD to please! Woohoo! :)

Sarah July 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I love this post! Is there any particular reason you don’t drink anything with your meals or is it just a habit?

I just started waiting until I’m hungry for breakfast too. Today I brought it to work with me, which ended up being 2 hours or so later than I usually eat it. Pretty cool.

Marissa July 15, 2009 at 1:31 pm

That hike looks great! I have been given the mission of finding a hike for the weekend that is “mountains or forest”. I can’t wait!

ttfn300 July 15, 2009 at 1:39 pm

that trail looks awesome! i’d happily spend a day in your life :)

~Jessica~ July 15, 2009 at 1:49 pm

That trail looks so beautiful ~ I wish there was something that gorgeous outside my front door.

I think the details of your day are interesting and love hearing about them! Oh, and your hair is so incredibly beautiful!

Holly July 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm

i also had a heart attack, seeing the name holly – holy crap i won something! then i saw it was actually miss cooke dough disciple herself. well, holly is still a pretty winning name.

worst joke ever.

have a good day :)

specialkphd July 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm

My favorite part is the bathrobe. You look FAB-O! The morning looks so picturesque…I’d be scared to show you my morning. Good thing Yoga was on there this am…

~Jessica~ July 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Oops, I really need another adjective don’t I? I’ll replace ‘beautiful’ with ‘stunning’ in the last sentence ; )

Holly July 15, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Oh my gosh – I am SO excited!! And just when I was thinking I’d have to sell old clothes on E-bay for more Almond Butter…. ;-) Thanks, Heather!!

I love reading about “a day in the life.” And I’m VERY glad you’re okay after your fall. A girl after my own heart! I should carry a first aid kit in my purse.

Off to dream about AB….

Jennifer July 15, 2009 at 1:52 pm

enjoy the coupon! glad you liked! i’m super jealous of your mornings-i hate going to work all day! do you have a lot of flexibility in your job so that you can work the hours you want?

Tyler July 15, 2009 at 1:53 pm

that sounds like a wonderful morning! and those pancakes look delicious. i can’t wait to see the rest of your day!

Cindy July 15, 2009 at 1:55 pm

OH what I would give to start my day with a trail hike !

This morning I jumped out of bed late…said some not so nice things and rushed out the door…forgot my walking pants for the treadmill today (but didn’t know it till I decided to change) and decided THEN to go to Sprouts to find coconut kifer or coconut milk (no luck boo) and just as I read your very cute post…. DANG…forgot more oats for oatgurt part 3.

well, you put a smile on my face on this most frustrating of days!

and still pining for a pink chunk in my hair! :)

Justine July 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I know you are bringing some of those oaties tomorrow for dessert right? hahaha :) . Ouch, I hate blood!! That trail looks great. If you ever need company while hiking it give me a ring.

~Justine

Erica July 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm

ow! I love hearing about a day in the life of HEAB! Sounds like a totally fabulous morning. I love where you hike- so beautiful :) Maybe I can join you when we’re over there for thanksgiving!!!!

Allie July 15, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Hahaha I totally fell for your 5 am yoga wake up call. Your yoga pose picture looked so convincing.

Andrea July 15, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I just noticed at lunch yesterday that Bob’s Red Mill sells Oat Groats, organic even. They have an online store – don’t know if it’s cheaper than what you’re paying at WF, but thought I would let you know!

brandi July 15, 2009 at 2:13 pm

i like your days better than mine :) mine didn’t involve hiking, baking, or a fun fall in the forest. I’m a klutz too!

brandi July 15, 2009 at 2:17 pm

oh, and congrats to Holly even though I”m super jealous she won :)

and free sunshine burgers? lucky gal. I was hoping to win those coupons! I finally saw them here, but they’re pricey.

psychoj1 July 15, 2009 at 2:33 pm

LOVE this! I don’t get bored reading about your life at all!

<3 jess

Linda July 15, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Congrats Holly! You lucky duck ;)

Heather~ Ouch, that looks painful, sorry bout that :(

My hubby cringes at whole foods too, one can spend wayyyy too much mula in that place…lol

Samantha July 15, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Just out of curiosity, why no liquid with your meals?

That trail looks so beautiful! I think your day start sounds wonderful!

Graze With Me July 15, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I am a total klutz as well so I can relate. I actually giggled out loud at the “I fell”. I’m also at work so that was a little embarrassing. :)

OH and I’m making oatgurt today!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Trilby Drew July 15, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Yeah for Holly! I know how exciting it is when you win something. :)

You look like Obi Wan Kenobi in your robe! Wait, that doesn’t sound right. How about you look like a super cute Obi Wan Kenobi. Ok, maybe a super cute GIRL Obi Wan Kenobi. Sigh…I’m just digging myself in deeper now, aren’t I? By the way, I just have to say that I wish I looked that cute first thing in the morning while I’m sipping my coffee. I look a bit more gruesome after waking up!

Happy Wednesday to you, too!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 15, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I win! I win! Thanks for picking my FAQ, HEAB! And it is too exciting! See, everyone agrees. :) Sorry you wiped out – thank god for your first aid kid. Oh and I totally cracked up at your “St. Francis of Assisi” robe. Am I really nerdy that I found that hysterical? I dunno, as much as I like cute clothes, if I could spend my days in sweats and comfies I would be a happy camper. I guess that means I have to find a way for blogging to earn me 5 figures. :)

jacobc July 15, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I love that trail! Well, i love any trail!
Are you allowed to bring your 2 kiddos along to the trails, i was wondering if you fell, or if the dogs were to fast for you ;-p
Cheers, J
PS-my b-day is coming up…haha

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 15, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I want to go on your trail hike with you!!! And Whole Foods! And I’ll sample the oaties, just to make sure they turned out okay.

Can’t wait to see the rest of the day. It looks a lot like mine, minus the leg grabbers.

JB July 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm

that sounds like a great start to a day, in my opinion. i love simple living. i’m going on a hike tomorrow morning! can’t wait to hear about the rest of your day. :)

-JB

p.s. even straight out of bed with no make up on, and that HUGE robe, you look super pretty.

gina (fitnessista) July 15, 2009 at 3:53 pm

i love this day in the life segment! so cute :D
have you tried sunshine burgers yet?? they’re SO good! the breakfast, southwest and falafel flavors are my fave :)
i’m a major klutz, too!
have a great night <3

Melissa S. July 15, 2009 at 4:18 pm

what a fun morning…i love the battle scars. i came home yesterday, my dad looked at my calves and was like, “what the heck did FL do to you!?” hahaha…klutzes at heart, together. :)

ksgoodeats July 15, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Haha I love your psyche out with the yoga! Must. Have. Coffee. First.

OUCH!! Glad you’re okay! Your pancakes and oaties look delicious! I loved the first segment!

nicole July 15, 2009 at 4:43 pm

i want to make those maple nut oates! they look amazing

The Healthy Hostess July 15, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I love the recap! I don’t drink while I eat either, I thought I was the only one!!! :)

emily July 15, 2009 at 5:01 pm

hi,
i tried your oatgurt recipe and i am having trouble with the proportions of water to oats, i have to constantly add more water so im not sure if its fermenting correctly. do you have any measurements?
emily

Dee July 15, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Heather,

Your mornings seem to be quite lovely and peaceful. You’re blessed! Except for the bloody scrapes!

Marycela July 15, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Thanks for sharing! Your day seems lovely and I hope your boo-boo is okay.

Just one question: Why does CD cringe at the pic of Whole Foods? Is it cause of their prices? lol, I’m joking.

Alison July 15, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Great post! You have such beautiful scenery near your house.

Shelby July 15, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Heather you are too damn cute! I love your huge robe and pink hair =)

Yay for oaties, pancakes, and sunshine burgers! Everything sounds so delicious!!!

Dori July 15, 2009 at 6:41 pm

You’re so funny, I fully believed you about the 5 AM thing! You are so cute in your giant hooded robe. And those pancakes… I am STARVING now!

Heather (be well & take care) July 15, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I fell and scratched my leg on the EXACT SAME SPOT a few weeks ago. Now I have an awesome scar! You’re a bit of a badass running up those stairs :) I like this daily thing! Not boring at all. Coffee, hiking, Whole Foods…some of my favorite things. My only complaint is that the morning did not contain enough almond butter.

veganfritz July 15, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Namaste, just want to say I’m diggin’ the trail. Way to man up on the flesh-wound.

eatlivelovedream July 15, 2009 at 7:44 pm

That trail looks so nice and peaceful! Do you walk that every morning?

Katharina July 15, 2009 at 8:06 pm

you look so content in the first picture. Lol FOOLED ME! Just kidding ;) That oversized robe looks soooooo comfy and goes perfect with a cup of joe. mm I would to have one on those chilly mornings. I wait till I’m hungry.. but that’s always at the same time! 9 am.. but lately it’s been earlier. Hmmm?

The trail you go walking on looks so nice. I’m always looking for places that are just me and nature to go walking in. I always feel like an explorer and I love admiring everything that’s around me. It keeps my mind occupied in a calm way.

Tropical pancakes are lookin’ good! Let me know if you try that kabocha recipe I sent ya. Have a lovely evening Heather.

Namaste :)

Gena (Choosing Raw) July 15, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Love you. Love Diana. Love Diana’s questions.

MarathonVal July 15, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Heather, I was wondering why you dont drink with your meals – I know some raw foodists advise against that, do you follow the same reasoning?

I’m sooo jealous of your nearby trail! I would be there every day :)

glidingcalm July 15, 2009 at 9:44 pm

i love hearing about one of my most fav. people!!!!!! (HEABERZZZZZ)

Erin July 15, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I enjoyed the glimpse into the life of HEAB!
I’d love to be centered in the mornings and go straight for yoga, but waking up with email and coffee wins more often than not.
Your injury reminds me of myself a whole lot. I fall down all the time. I sort of keep track of events by my scars. I hardly notice when I’m bleeding anymore…
Oh, and so jealous of the sunshine burgers. They are my favorite, but I can’t find them here. It’s lovely here, but I certainly miss grocery stores with options!

Deb July 15, 2009 at 9:52 pm

OK I’m drooling over the stairs. I love a good hike, but I’m a stairs junkie and I would have to spend an hour walking or jogging up and down them for pure joy!! :-) Serious sweat action!! I love your life as you’ve told it so far. makes mine look like a rave party!

Deb July 15, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Whooops, what I meant was that YOUR life looks like a RAVE PARTY compared to mine :-D Doh!! :-)

Vicki July 15, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Wow, Heather! You can do coffee on an empty stomach? Never could. I’d be escaping to one of the nearby bushes with a rumbling and upset tummy! :D

Amy July 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I love you even more now. The photo of you in the big bear rug robe + kerf coffee…you’re the best!

WholeBodyLove July 16, 2009 at 12:20 am

I’m going to HAVE to try your Maple Nut Oatie recipe soon! I have been looking for a good healthy cookie recipe for Snuffy! Mallard cringes just HEARING that I’m going to WF…and I go every week. It’s inevitable with Snuff and I. But, as you already know, a girl can be mindful of her money in there. It’s just hard when I see something I haven’t tried before. One thing I like about Trader Joes (when I can make the 20 min trip to go there) is that if you don’t like something, they will refund you with your receipt!! How cool is that?

The Novice Berker July 16, 2009 at 12:21 am

Ouchhhh, what a trooper you are. I’m a klutz too. :( The oaties look SO good; I wish I had enough maple syrup (the good, proper stuff) to make a huge batch (um… to share… maybe).

Oh, Heather. When I have arm muscles (they are currently nowhere to be seen), I hope they’re half as awesome as yours. Muahaha. :)

MizFit July 16, 2009 at 4:25 am

LOVE the recap.
and the robe.
and want to remind you should you ever have a lull in your day the Toddler Tornado and I are always looking for playmates :)

come on over!

Jules July 16, 2009 at 7:05 am

When I was on vacation, I fell on three different trails and got a bad ass looking scratch on my calf :) I can definitely sympathize with you on the falling thing.

Cherie July 16, 2009 at 8:52 am

Why do you not drink liquid with your meals?

2 minutes up that hill at Percy Warner is quite impressive. Do you run the whole thing? I get about 3/4 of the way up and I’m about to die. I end up walking the last bit.

Kristen July 16, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I recognize that trailhead. :-P I see I’m not the only one! Hope you are having a wonderful week!

roseyrebecca July 17, 2009 at 9:18 pm

That stinks that you fell! I hope your leg is ok! It looks like a fun hike! The tropical pancakes look yummy also :-)

carolinebee July 18, 2009 at 8:34 am

Ummm are you just obsessed with where you live….

Because i totally am!!! Those endless stairs look like a monastery or something :D

{ 1 trackback }