Headed West

by HEAB on July 17, 2009

So, CD and I leave early tomorrow morning for Colorado.  We’re staying up in the mountains for 6 weeks, and for the first 3, we’ll pretty much be in the middle of nowhere.  I won’t lie…I’m pretty excited about nowhere.

We will have Internet, and I hope to continue blogging.  However, I also hope to do lots of hiking and other outdoor activities.  My goal is to enjoy that fresh mountain air while I can and spend much less time on the computer.  Not sure what my eats will be like as the nearest grocery store is an hour away.  Where on earth will I get my almond butter, right? No worries, the Vita-Mix is coming along with us. ;)

Before we go, I wanted to share some fun eats with you:

I like radishes...who knew?

I like radishes...who knew?

Using Whole Body Love’s recipe, I made radish chips. So good!  Radishes never did much for me…until I tried them baked in chip form.  Yum!

Next up was a new protein powder:

Blueberry Brazil Nut Protein Smoothie

Blueberry Brazil Nut Protein Smoothie

This week, I made a new friend.  After emailing back and forth for a while, I met up with fellow Nashvillian Lacey, and she was kind enough to share some of her pea protein powder with me. All I have to say is watch out Jay! It contained 20 grams of protein per 160 calories, and was so delicious.  My topping of choice was some homemade Brazil nut butter. Perfect. Lacey, I really enjoyed our walk together, and I can’t wait to meet up again when I get back in town!

Then there was a good-bye lunch with two of my favorite girls, Justine and her Little One.  Justine was kind enough to invite me over to her beautiful home. Check out the spread:

I would join this girl for lunch everyday if I could.  Look at all those veggies!

I would join this girl for lunch everyday if I could. Look at all those veggies!

My plate contained a little bit of everything:

This probably would have cost me over $20 at Whole Foods.

This probably would have cost me over $20 at Whole Foods.

Justine, thank you again for allowing me to eat you out of house and home having me over yesterday.  I’m going to miss you!

Before I left, the Little One took our picture:

Justine, I think Little One's definitely has a future in photography. :)

Hilarious, no? Every time I look at this picture, I laugh. Thank you Little One!

There has been little yoga in my life lately as I was quite sore from some of last week’s classes.  I’m going to miss my studio while we’re away, but thank goodness for Polly and YogaDownload!  (Speaking of YogaDownload, you can save 40% on all classes through Monday, July 20 with the coupon code MidSummerSale).

The next 6 weeks should be very interesting.  I honestly don’t know what I’ll be eating…maybe some new food adventures await?  Personally, I think it’s time HEAB changed things up a bit.  We spent part of last summer out in Colorado, and I logged many hours running on mountain trails.  Perhaps I’ll get back out there? Who knows?

We have a long drive tomorrow with our two dogs, and so I better get going.  Much to do today.

Hope you have a wonderful Friday!

livingfreeforever July 17, 2009 at 6:17 am

OMG! Six whole weeks in the mountains! That’s my kind of vacation! I hope you have a fabulous time and find plenty of good eats. Be safe and soak up all the fresh air that you can!

LOVE the picture with no heads:)

Erica July 17, 2009 at 6:20 am

A 6 week vacation? I could not be more jealous! Enjoy every minute together! How refreshing.

VeggieGirl July 17, 2009 at 6:27 am

Hooray for meeting a new friend and for your highly-anticipated vacation time being here!! Safe travels :-)

Shelby July 17, 2009 at 6:33 am

I hope you arrive safely and have lots of fun! Enjoy nature and hopefully find some delicious oats.

xoxo

Holly July 17, 2009 at 6:42 am

Heather, I am so happy for you/jealous!! I know you love Colorado, and you definitely deserve the time out there. My sister just got back last night from Colorado (she’d never been) and I’m trying to convince her to uproot her family and we can all move out there. (No luck so far, hmmm). It is by far my favorite place in the states. I can’t wait to see your pics!

I have no doubt you’ll come up with some great eats. :-) Be careful on your drive out there!!

coco July 17, 2009 at 6:46 am

yeah~~~ going nowhere, doing nowhat is so fun!!!~~~ hope you have a blast there (which I’m sure you will)! :)

charlotte July 17, 2009 at 6:48 am

Have a great trip! I love Colorado – so much so that hubby and I hope to settle there someday. Of course it’s a long way between there and here (Minnesota) but a girl can dream, right?

Lindsey (Mrs. LC) July 17, 2009 at 6:51 am

Safe travels, and have so much fun!

Michal Mymo July 17, 2009 at 6:52 am

Have a wonderful trip I know you are going to have such a fun time! I cant wait to hear all about it! :)

Michal

Amy July 17, 2009 at 6:57 am

Have an amazing, refreshing, invigorating time in Colorado. I’m exciting for you! Wishing you safe travels and joyous adventures.

Emily July 17, 2009 at 7:03 am

Have a great trip! I’m looking very forward to reading about your adventures.

jacobc July 17, 2009 at 7:03 am

Have fun!
We will be lookin for some nice pics!
Cheers

kaneil July 17, 2009 at 7:22 am

hey lady! if you even come close to Denver, let me know so we can meet up! I will email you my cell # just in case the internet is shady.

have a fun and safe trip out here! yay for enjoying CO’s fresh mountain air. :)

Kaneil, balanceisbest

greenbean July 17, 2009 at 7:27 am

have a wonderful trip, Heather! 6 weeks is amazing.

i was just thinking this morning that i would love to take off for a month and go work on a farm. maybe i can save up some money and live a little.

be safe and have a ball!

CaSaundra July 17, 2009 at 7:46 am

Sounds like an awesome time–very relaxing! I love being “disconnected” from the world for awhile, but do keep us updated! Have fuuuun :-)

brandi July 17, 2009 at 7:48 am

6 weeks away in the mountains sounds like a dream :) I hope you guys have a SAFE trip and I can’t wait to see the adventures you post!

i made my first batch of homemade almond butter last night – yum.

Simone July 17, 2009 at 7:49 am

Those radish chips look so freakin good! I wanted to reach into the computer screen and just grab a handful :) ! I hope you have a great mountain vacation. Before I moved to NYC I lived in AZ and our house was literally in a mountain (too bad we ended up having to knock the house down after only 1 year due to mold issues but that is an ENTIRELY different story). But while it lasted it seriously was such a calming atmosphere and made for some great hiking experiences. Just beware and bring a large stick with you (a walking stick) when you hike because you never know when a snake will pop up out of nowhere. Sorry if I just freaked you out a little bit. It is not as bad as it seems but I just wanted to make you aware. It really isn’t a big deal if you are prepared. Ugh, I am so jealous of your trip. Have so much fun!

Kimberly July 17, 2009 at 8:00 am

Safe travels to you guys!

I would have never thought to do that with radishes, but wow!! I am going to try that! I love them raw, baking them can only make them better! :)

Scott in Ohio July 17, 2009 at 8:01 am

Have a great trip, Heather and CD!

I look forward to seeing pictures, etc.

Will CD actually do Yoga with you now?? :~)

Susan July 17, 2009 at 8:01 am

I’m so excited for you! That sounds like so much fun! I’m sure it will be 6 glorious weeks filled with fun food adventures :) Have fun!!

ttfn300 July 17, 2009 at 8:16 am

oh my gosh i love nowhere!!! have a fantastic trip my dear :) and little one sure did take an adorable picture :)

Lea July 17, 2009 at 8:17 am

oh HEABs how i love thee~

girl you eat pretty much everything that i love (i.e. daikon, jicama(!!!), kabocha, chia seeds, and now radishes).

wow 6 week vaca??? how awesome. did you know i used to live in CO? beautiful state, too bad i’m not much of an out-doorsy trail kinda gal. however, i can tots see you exploring the woods. ^___________^

Michelle hisae July 17, 2009 at 8:25 am

A six week vacation?!? Awesome!! Do it for yourself and really be one with nature. Have fun!

Jess July 17, 2009 at 8:31 am

Looks like a GREAT lunch – yum!

Enjoy your six week vacation – I can’t wait to hear all about your adventures in Colorado. We’ll be there in September!

Melissa S. July 17, 2009 at 8:38 am

that’s is going to be one rock’n vacation in the mountains! where are you going to be, cause a bunch of us will be in fort collins on the night of the 6th before our relay race!!!

psychoj1 July 17, 2009 at 8:40 am

Have fun! Sounds like you’re going to love it!
<3 jess

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 17, 2009 at 8:41 am

I love radishes; I’ll have to make radish chips. I’m all into making veggie chips these days… :)

Have a wonderful time in the mountains! But I’m a bit jealous… ;)

Graze With Me July 17, 2009 at 8:47 am

Great pic, its definitely taken from a kid’s point of view. Sounds like an awesome vacation to me, of course I’m biased, having lived in Colorado my entire life. It’s such a beautiful place in the summertime though!

eatlivelovedream July 17, 2009 at 8:48 am

That picture totally cracked me up! A for Effort on the little ones part:)
Have fun on your vacation!!! so Jealous!

Kim July 17, 2009 at 9:00 am

hey I hope you guys have a great time.. I look forward to seeing pics of beautiful Colorado.. have fun!

Gena (Choosing Raw) July 17, 2009 at 9:02 am

Oh, Heather, I am so excited for your vacay! I hope it’s wonderful, and I’ll be thinking of you. Don’t get bogged down in blogging — enjoy the fresh air and nature and joy! xo

Linda July 17, 2009 at 9:02 am

Sounds like a dream vacation to me, wow…enjoy..you lucky girl ;)

Those radish chips look scrump-dilish! I’ll for sure be giving those a try.

Hey, I have an Einstein in my life too! My Parrot Einstein…Love the name ;)

I’ve been reading your blog and have been enjoying it immensely!

polly July 17, 2009 at 9:07 am

Heabs,
oh I am so happy you guys are soon off on your adventure into nowheres and I pray that it can be a time of rest, re-boot, and re-connect with what you truly love. No mind the bloggies… I know that life is sweetest when bloggin’ is like the cinnamon sprinkles on the cinnamon roll.. the DOUGH and the BUTTER and the FROSTING are the stuff you KNOW matters most. Really, the sprinkles are fun and can create much joy and all, but the actual ROLL… that is a gift to be eaten one bite at a time, with our eyes CLOSED (not on the sprinkles) so we can truly, completely, without question.. enjoy it. ;)

Okay… see you two in a few days for bison burgers and some late night (like 7:30pm) chatting and sitting by a campfire. :)

XOXO Pols Peachy

Kristin July 17, 2009 at 9:08 am

Oh that is so awesome! How do you get to be away from work for 6 weeks? You guys are so lucky! I will be out in Colorado August 7-8th for the Wild West Relay! I am pumped because I’ve never been to CO before…a little scared about running in the elevation + hills, but excited nonetheless. Hope you guys have a fab time and I will be checking in to see what you’re up to!

Tyler July 17, 2009 at 9:08 am

Radish chips are a great idea….I’ve never been a fan of radishes, but I’ve only tried them raw, so maybe I would like them in chip form? I’d love to try it! Have fun in Colorado!!!

elise July 17, 2009 at 9:15 am

how fun! its gonna be great to get away from everything for a while, espcially the computer! what are you going out there for?

that photo is SO funny! faces are overrated right?

Staci July 17, 2009 at 9:16 am

Hi Heather – where will you be in Colorado? Hit Colorado Springs and Manitou? Maybe I will see you – I remember chatting last summer on Ruxton Ave (by Cog) when I was with Jillian. Love the radish idea too – staci

ksgoodeats July 17, 2009 at 9:25 am

That picture is pretty funny of you and Justine – you guys look great minus the eyes ;)

Have a blast in Colorado!! I can’t wait to hear about it! Have safe travels!

Sharon July 17, 2009 at 9:34 am

Have an amazing trip! The fresh air, and outdoor adventures will be great for the soul…you will come back refreshed and healthy I’m sure.

And as much as I love your blog, take a break lady! You deserve it! =)

Maria July 17, 2009 at 9:35 am

Oooh, I’ve never tried radishes cooked before. I will try that out, thanks :)

Wow, if the pea protein is better than Jay’s than it really must be something, huh?

LOL at the picture the Little One took.

Happy Friday, Heather!!!

janetha July 17, 2009 at 9:59 am

ohhh your time in the mountains is my idea of paradise! you will have so much fun. oh and that photo is hilarious!

keri410 July 17, 2009 at 10:00 am

SUPER jealous you get to go spend a few weeks in the middle of nowhere! What I’d give to just let go of life for a few days and get out of town! Hope you have a blast!

What is in pea protein? What’s it made of? Hard to believe it’s better than the oh so glorious jays that everyone raves about!

What is it about kids that makes life so amusing?? Love it!

Xoxo,
keri

Rose July 17, 2009 at 10:10 am

Enjoy the fresh air and…. quiet!

Danielle C. July 17, 2009 at 10:13 am

Have a fun and safe journey! I can’t wait to see your adventures. :)

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

lol. The little one got the best part of you guys! Look at your bods! he he… You gotta love the little ones.

Have SO MUCH fun in CO. I’m so jealous. Enjoy every moment of it. Don’t waste a single minute missing anything, even almond butter!

Dee July 17, 2009 at 10:20 am

Heather!

Hee, Hee! Love that photo!

I’ll have to try radish chips now! And I’ve been drinking blueberry smoothies all week!

Have a great time in CO.

buffmuffy July 17, 2009 at 10:22 am

Whoa, now those are something I’m going to have to try out! Did you put anything on em or just baked the little suckers?
Have a great day! Cute pic, LOL.
-Muffy

cottchz July 17, 2009 at 10:29 am

all those veggies make me want to go crunch munch munch!!!
mantra makeover 2 is up, love to hear your thoughts and spread the word!! have a safe trip!

Julia July 17, 2009 at 10:32 am

Six weeks in the mountains sounds like HEAVEN to me! I love the mountains and the relaxation and activity that I always find in them! Have fun with your eats, and I hope you get to run some sweet trails!

Kristen July 17, 2009 at 10:35 am

Safe travels, Heather!!! I just got back from the honeymoon and time away just seems to make coming home that much nicer! Enjoy every day out there! It’ll be gorgeous. :-D

Maggie July 17, 2009 at 11:14 am

WOW! Have fun!! Thank you so much for your sweet comment this morning. I must have felt it in my sleep because I slept through the night for the first time in a long time.

I’m going to have to try the radish idea. I love radishes anyway. I also want to try it with zucchini!

Chloe July 17, 2009 at 11:52 am

Going out into the woods for 6 weeks and living in the mountain air sounds grand. Have a great time!

P.S. I love that you’re bringing the Vita Mix with you – too cute!

Sandy July 17, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I love Colorado. What part of the state will you be in?

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 17, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Oh my gosh, have a great time! I can’t wait to see what all you end up doing ;-)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 17, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Oh my goodness, 6 weeks in CO?? You lucky (downward facing) dog! Amazing. Don’t let blogging get in the way, though I will look forward to any updates you do post! HAVE FUN! Safe travels, too. :)

WholeBodyLove July 17, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the radish chips! They are definitely NOT pretty! But, they are tasty! I never liked raw radishes either.

Erin July 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

A trip to nowhere actually sounds pretty fabulous. I hope you have a wonderful, amazing time! It’s great you’re going into it with an open mind to just see what happens. Enjoy the fresh air and I hope you can come back completely refreshed. Save travels, my dear!

Stacy July 17, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Hope you have a great trip!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 17, 2009 at 1:01 pm

What a fun idea! Radish chips! Your veggie platter looks great, too!

Alison July 17, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Radish chips sound great!
Have a fabulous trip! It’s funny how much more appealing the idea of hanging out relaxing in the middle of nowhere is to me now than it would have been when I was younger.

Julie July 17, 2009 at 2:16 pm

hey Heather!
Never commented before, but curious where in CO you’re traveling. I live in the southwest corner of the state… small town of Pagosa Springs. Any chance you’re coming this way?
Love reading your posts! Have an awesome 6 weeks!

Meredith July 17, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Have fun in Colorado!

the dainty pig July 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm

have a great great great time away! you definitely deserve a nice long outdoorsey vacation!!!
delicious looking eats, and thanks for the radish idea!!!

travel safe and have lots of fun!!

JB July 17, 2009 at 3:14 pm

sounds like an adventure! i can’t wait to hear about what you eat! if worst comes to worst, you can always live off AB for 6 months. (the word “worst” does NOT belong in that sentence!) i hope you have tons of nature-filled fun. i just talked a little bit about nature in my last post. it’s so nice and refreshing to get out there in the clean air. i’ve never been to colorado but i know that it’s beautiful. safe travels! :)

-JB

Angharad July 17, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Wow, six week vacation? I could not be more jealous if I tried! That sounds like pure heaven to me. Lucky you! Have an amazing time – time away in a new environment is definitely time to try new eats as well – can’t wait to see them!

Samantha July 17, 2009 at 3:55 pm

6 weeks?! Awesome! Can’t wait to hear the stories!

The smoothie looks great, I keep forgetting I have a frozen bag I need to use. Maybe this weekend.

Love the picture of you and Justine! A kids angle can be very cute.

Deva July 17, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Love the pic without heads – your personalities shine through your smiles and it is great :)

Emily July 17, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Whoa…how were those radishes cooked?

Love the pic that the little one took! haha!

justrun July 17, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Safe travels and enjoy/welcome to CO! It’s beautiful here right now!

justrun July 17, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Safe travels and enjoy/welcome back to CO! It’s beautiful here right now!

The Fit Collegiate July 17, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Have a safe flight! I can’t wait to hear all about Colorado.

Those radish chips look fabulous…I love radishes!

Melissa G July 17, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Hey Heather- Let me know if you do a reader meet up. I love your blog and would love to meet you! (I also know and live right by Kaneil so we can all get together :) )

roseyrebecca July 17, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Wow! 6 weeks in the Mountains! I’d love to spend that at a beach! Have fun! I’ve never been to Colorado. Love the headless picture!! :-)

broccolihut July 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Ha! Love that you’re bringing the VitaMix on vacay. I am SO using you as justification when I bring my blender on my next trip.

Amanda (Panda) July 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Wow, 6 weeks in the mountains sounds amazing!!! I hope you have a great time!

When you get back, we should all do a Nashville blogger meet up somewhere fun!

Also, I am definitely trying those radish chips!

traveleatlove July 18, 2009 at 8:14 am

Oh lucky! I would love to go nowhere for even a couple of days! Enjoy and recharge!

MarathonVal July 18, 2009 at 8:30 am

I’m sooo excited to hear about your mountain adventure!! That sounds right up my alley. Have a great time!

cottchz July 18, 2009 at 11:11 am

hey heather-
i finally found this pledge that i have been looking for forever, if you can, give it a shout out, im hoping to get as many ppl on board as possible, have a great trip!!!

Jillian July 18, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Yay!!! I get to see you soon! Where will you be exactly? Big hugs!

Jenny July 18, 2009 at 5:04 pm

safe travels miss HEAB :)

Ashley July 19, 2009 at 4:24 am

Enjoy your six weeks away Heather! The lovely mountain air and the ‘nowhere-ness’ sounds absolutely fabulous. I had to smile about you taking the Vita-Mix! I can absolutely understand why – apart from oat gurt, I am missing my almond nut butter the most while away (I’m in Warsaw, Poland right now!) I’ve been to several supermarkets trying to find some…

Have a fabulous time and embrace the new eats. We all need to challenge ourselves occasionally :-)

missyrayn July 19, 2009 at 7:25 am

6 weeks!!! I’m so jealous. I’m lucky if I get to have 5 uninterupted days with my job. Enjoy all the fun and out-west-ness. It sounds like you have a great trip planned.

I wanted to let you know I was inspired by all your homemade nut butters. I had a lot of leftover raw almonds so I toasted them up and put them in the food processor with some oil and honey. BEST STUFF EVER!! I’m glad I can make this in small batches because my husband and I would devour it in a second. I can’t wait to try it with different nuts and different things added.

gina (fitnessista) July 19, 2009 at 8:38 am

have a wonderful time with christian dior!
how i would LOVE to have 6 weeks with my hubby!
take care and can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to :D

Kristie July 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I actually have radishes sitting in my fridge right now. And we NEVER get radishes. Seems like the perfectly random opportunity for some radish chips I’d say!

The little one is quite the photographer. That is too cute hehe.

Have fun in Colorado! I’m excited to see what adventures it holds for you for the next while. :)

Melanie July 19, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Have fun in Colorado, I’m jealous lol. 6 weeks sure does make my 1 night in Colorado in September sound like a flash in time. Me and my mom are flying to Denver/Colorado Springs for 1 night when I fly to Vegas to visit my mom over Labor Day.

Have a great time and enjoy the outdoors :)

cottchz July 19, 2009 at 5:06 pm

i am so glad to know i’m not the only one who makes room in her suitcase for the blender!!! have a wonderful trip, try rock climbing and white water rafting!!! have fun in simplicity!

Tina July 20, 2009 at 4:40 am

Vacations are always so much fun food-wise because it allows you to try new things and maybe even challenge yourself a bit. I had such a wonderful experience during my recent vacation in France (my surf trip) because I lived with a group of people and we all made meals together, I felt so inspired and had so much great food and felt so good. For once I didn’t have to feel anxious about food!

healthy ashley July 20, 2009 at 6:32 am

I hope your trip is going well, Heather :) It sounds exhilirating and relaxing at the same time!

Holly July 20, 2009 at 8:38 am

have a wonderful 6-week vacay – that is AMAZING!

as long as vita is along, i have a feeling things will go fabulously! can’t wait to see what kind of mountain vacay concoctions you will make :)

Katharina July 20, 2009 at 9:21 am

Radish chips sound awesome!

Colorado sounds so beautiful. That’s one place I want to go for sure :) Take plenty of pictures so I can vicariously live through you hehe.

Jules July 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm

6 weeks in Colorado? I’m jealous. I’ve always wanted to go there.