We Made It

by HEAB on July 20, 2009

OK, so I really wonder why everyone doesn’t move to Colorado as it is truly such an amazing place.  After a 20 hour drive, Chris and I arrived at our final destination around midnight, having no idea what our surroundings looked like.  We woke up to this view outside of our window:

I'm in heaven.

I'm in heaven.

We spent yesterday getting all settled in and adjusting to the change in altitude.  The house we’re renting sits at about 8,000 ft.  Nashville’s elevation is a little over 300 ft.  So, quite the change, and it seems to affect the dogs more than it does us as they did not move all day after their morning walk.

We’re staying about 10 minutes outside the small town of Westcliffe, Colorado. There are a handful of shops in the quaint little town center, and we stopped by the supermarket yesterday for some groceries.  Thankfully, there is a natural foods store, but it was closed yesterday.  I can’t wait to check it out later today as CD and I have already plowed through half a jar of the Trader Joe’s almond butter I brought.

After an hour long walk with the dogs yesterday, I made myself a salad.

My favorite salad minus the miso.

My favorite salad minus the miso.

The local supermarket definitely does not stock my beloved miso, but this salad was still super yummy.  My plate consisted of chopped romaine, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, grape tomatoes, and my dressing was a big blob of spinach massaged with the other 1/2 of my avocado, lemon juice, and 1/2 packet stevia. Really guys, creamy ranch or bleu cheese is so not necessary!

I’m also experimenting with a new oatgurt method using rolled oats.  I’m anxious to see if it works.

IMG_2858I’m hoping keeping the blended oats in the oven with the light on will help them ferment.  CD was already laughing at my Jay Robb and chia seed supply that I packed, not to mention the Vita-Mix.  There was no way he was going to agree to the Costco HeatDish coming along with us. Hehe.

Speaking of Jay Robb, CD tried his first Jay Robb rice protein smoothie last night which leads us to…

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

You can tell Jay that his rice protein tastes just like chalk. Don’t worry Jay…personally, I love your chalk. :)

OK, I’m off to do some yoga…perhaps a try a little flow of my own.  Happy Monday my friends!

Special K July 20, 2009 at 9:59 am

Yoga in the morning, in CO, how divine. Soak in that Mo-jo! And my brother laughed at me packing my homemade nut butters last week and homemade power bars, but who cares? My “K Craves” are things that make me feel alive and wouldn’t want to go 2 days without…(I have them up on my site! You should comment that yours are J Robb and maybe yoga?)

I am super excited! My oat groats are “fermenting!”

Lara (Thinspired) July 20, 2009 at 10:17 am

That first photo makes me want to start singing a country song ;) How beautiful! It’s so nice that you guys have a whole house to yourselves!
If your rolled-oats experiment works, I might be able to make oatgurt after all!!

Whit July 20, 2009 at 10:18 am

Gorgeous view! Enjoy the vacay!

Erica July 20, 2009 at 10:20 am

Hey girl!!!!!!!! So glad you guys made it safe- looks like you’ll be vacationing in a GORGEOUS local! Let us know how the natural food store is.

buffmuffy July 20, 2009 at 10:21 am

HAHA about the protein powder, that is hilarious.
i love CO too, it is just so natural and beautiful. maybe too cold for me though, but even i live in NE – not my choice! LOL. wayyyyy too cold here too.
-muffy

Jess July 20, 2009 at 10:21 am

I can’t wait for Colorado in September now! We’re driving too – it’s going to be a blast.

I need to try to make Oatgurt in the oven sometime. Enjoy the vacation!

Anna July 20, 2009 at 10:25 am

holy crap that view! It reminds me of New Zealand. Gorgeous! I hope you have an incredible time in Colorado.

Maria July 20, 2009 at 10:27 am

I would love to visit Colorado some day–that picture looks amazing! Look at all that space the dogs have to run in :D

Hehe, Costco Heat Dish in Colorado during the middle of the summer? Too funny!

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 20, 2009 at 10:27 am

AMAZING! I was telling my hubby about your trip this weekend, actually. We’re so jealous.

alex July 20, 2009 at 10:28 am

wow. that view is amazing, especially as I sit here with a view of the copy room in my office. Enjoy your vacation, every last little bit of it!

Maggie July 20, 2009 at 10:31 am

I’m pretty sure I would be in heaven too. That looks amazing.

I may have to give oatgurt another try… can’t wait to see how the new experiment turns out :)

Oh, and you *must* try the avocado pizza. It was so good.

VeggieGirl July 20, 2009 at 10:37 am

SO envious of the views in the first photo – wowza!!

joelygolightly July 20, 2009 at 10:38 am

Isn’t Colorado- and the west for that matter- just gorgeous? Enjoy!!

nicole h July 20, 2009 at 10:38 am

glad that you made it safe to colorado, it looks amazing. have a great trip

kaneil July 20, 2009 at 10:41 am

yayuh! Glad you guys made it safe and sound. Melissa and I will pick a restaurant for all of us to enjoy!

Have a SPLENDID week in the mountains! :)

Kaneil, balanceisbest

Amy July 20, 2009 at 10:42 am

What a breathtaking view. I can’t imagine sleeping poorly or feeling shitty in the morning with a sight light that to wake up to! Enjoy it Heather. And I hope you find all your foodie needs @ the little shop.

Have a good flow / day / evening

Emily July 20, 2009 at 10:46 am

Your view is amazing. Enjoy!

livingfreeforever July 20, 2009 at 10:46 am

I’m so glad you made it safe and sound! That view is amazing! I would be in heaven if I could go to a place like that:) Enjoy your trip to the natural food store. I love going to new stores!

Jenny July 20, 2009 at 10:49 am

yay glad you got there in one piece .. enjoy :) xo!

Shelby July 20, 2009 at 10:50 am

What a stunning view! Enjoy your vacation love!

Mmm, I just bought oat groats the other day!!! I’m so excited to make Oatgurt. I tried it with Wheatberries but it was gross so hopefully this one turns out better.

I totally agree, salad dressing is not required when you have a huge creamy avocado in the mix!

Melissa S. July 20, 2009 at 10:55 am

OMG I wish I were there with you!!! How AWESOME!

jacobc July 20, 2009 at 11:02 am

Sweet.. What a view to wake up to.. !

You sooo are going to have your house back on the market when you get back to nashvegas..ehh..

And i bet the lawns don’t grow much there either..?

I’m sure you will enjoy!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 20, 2009 at 11:14 am

Wait, do you have a direct line to Jay Robb? I’ve got a few words for him as well. Mostly “yum.” I may or may not be talking about a shake.

Erin July 20, 2009 at 11:15 am

Soooo gorgeous! So glad you made it safely.
Sounds like a wonderful place. Colorado is a place I’ve always wanted to visit but I’ve never been able to explore it. Hopefully it’s in my future.

polly July 20, 2009 at 11:23 am

Rocky mountain high… COLORADO. Let’s sing… and pop some blueberries and kick back and watch the sun go down. Hope your yoga flow was delish.

Love ya, peachy. XOXO

jenngirl July 20, 2009 at 11:31 am

Oh wow, how beautiful!! Glad you’re enjoying yourself…haha I’ve never tried Jay Robb stuff, but I would probably like it!

brandi July 20, 2009 at 11:31 am

oh it is beautiful! How have I never been to CO?

I’m glad you got there safely! I hope you two have a fabulous day :)

amy (veganissexy) July 20, 2009 at 11:47 am

Wow, such a gorgeous view! I’ve never been to CO either, but I imagine it is spectacular! I hope you are having an amazing time :)

JB July 20, 2009 at 11:52 am

um, GORGEOUS view. my god. i’m coming with you next time! the salad looks wonderful. and i can’t wait to find out if the oven with the light on allows the oats to ferment. because if it does, my lack of a heat dish won’t stop me from making oatgurt anymore! yaaahoooo! be sure to let us know! in the meantime, enjoy the beautiful haven you’re currently residing in. i’m jealous!

-JB

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 20, 2009 at 11:58 am

What an incredible getaway! Enjoy! And you can tell Mr. SexyHot that he needn’t worry – his rice protein has plenty of fans. I had some just this morning and reaffirmed my love for it. :)

keri410 July 20, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Gotta have the essentials! No shame in that! (:

Oh, and I’m totally still jealous that you get to look out your window and see that for the next few days! It’s gorgeous!

Hey, thought you might be interested in a giveaway I’m hosting over on my blog. check it out! (:
xo,
keri

keri410 July 20, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Sorry, here’s a link:

Marycela July 20, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Happy Monday!

The view looks amazing. Hope the pups have adjusted and your oatgurt turns out dandy…. my first ever batch will be ready tomorrow morning.

Johanna B July 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Glad the trip went smoothly. I love Western Colorado. The drive from Durango to Grand Junction is simply breathtaking. Of course, that’s partly because you have the mountain on one side of the road and a BIG drop on the other. I always wanted to live in Silverton. Looking forward to hearing more about your vacation.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 20, 2009 at 12:20 pm

What a beautiful view! Enjoy your stay :)

Mary July 20, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Welcome to Colorado! I have been here for 20 yrs and can’t imagine a more beautiful place to live. Enjoy your time!

Holly July 20, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I love my adopted state!! Welcome to Colorado!! Make sure to drink plenty of water- altitude sickness is no fun.

Linda July 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Wow, how lucky you are! I’m also so jealous! Glad you are safe :D

What a view!

Can’t wait to hear how your “experiment” goes.

ksgoodeats July 20, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Glad you guys made it! That first picture is stunning!! You guys better restock on your AB – an empty jar is a terrifying thought :)

the dainty pig July 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm

gorgeous!!!!!
wow, that view is amazing.
enjoy your yoga, walks, new natural foods store, and OUTDOOR air!!!! yipee!!!
xoxo

Alison July 20, 2009 at 1:24 pm

beautiful scenery! I feel relaxed just looking at that picture.

good luck with the rolled oatgurt.

roseyrebecca July 20, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Amazing view! I’d love to visit Colorado! I’m glad they have a natural food store!! Your salad looks yummy!

veganfritz July 20, 2009 at 1:56 pm

hahah tastes just like chalk, that’s funny. Colorado looks spectacular. Have fun

Samantha July 20, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Oh my gosh…that view is just breathtaking! I’m not so much a mountains person, I’ll take the beach any day, but that I certainly wouldn’t complain about! Easy to see why you want to get away there for a bit!

Hope you enjoy your flow, I’m sure your body will thank you after such a long drive.

That salad looks so simple, colorful and divine!

Susan July 20, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Minus the whole miso thing, sounds like you’re in paradise!! High elevations always affect me, hopefully the new oatgurt helps ;)

D July 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Glad you all made it safe. I tend to think CO is one of the best states around, hence never being able to stay away for long.

Enjoy the beauty around you. Up your water intake, it is super important and helps in the long run.

leslie July 20, 2009 at 5:09 pm

glad you’re enjoying yourself out there! totally agree on the blue cheese statement – i would so much rather top my salad with some smushed avocado!

Becky July 20, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Yay, you’re here in Colorado! There is great hiking around where you are if I remember correctly. Have fun :)

P.S. I’m totally going to try your avocado salad dressing!

Jules July 20, 2009 at 5:50 pm

That’s such a beautiful view! You’re so lucky to be in such an incredible state. The hiking should be awesome. I hope you have an awesome time :)

Michal Mymo July 20, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Im glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound. The view looks so pretty. Have a totally amazing time :)

soniaxox July 20, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Hi Heather! I just wanted to say I love your blog, the concoctions you have made up are great and I’m looking forward to trying them! I just recently tried the avocado & banana sandwich and it was SO GOOD. So Thank you for introducing him into my life :) hahah
im glad your trip went well! everyone I know who’s lived in colorado loved it there.

ttfn300 July 20, 2009 at 8:00 pm

hello gorgeous!! i wish i was there ;)

Kath July 20, 2009 at 8:07 pm

TOTALLY GORG!!!! Can’t wait to see some more photos :)

ProteinGirl July 20, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I’ve been meaning to suggest using poppy seeds in your recipes (lemon poppy seed, or in any vegan dessert/smoothie/salad/oatbran/bakery item) is FANTASTIC! Also, instead of kobacha…. have you ever tried Calabaza squashes? It’s known as the west indian pumpkin and it is sweet!
2. The MAMEY SAPOTE: It’s been described as a mix between sweet potato, avocado and honey!! Some ppl say there is a hint of marzipan.
White Sapote has been described as ‘creamy smooth’ with a orange sherbert, blend of mango, coconut, caramel/vanilla taste. Black Sapote (aka persimmon) tastes kind of like chocolate pudding.
3.Sweet Dumpling squash or the Honey Boat Delicata squash. So sweet!

These are well worth trying if you can find them! Let me know what you think!!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) July 20, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Let me know how the oven light fermentation method works for you. It might make me give oat-gurt another try.

Tiffany S. July 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm

First time poster – love your blog! Anyway, just drink plenty of water to combat any altitude problems. The headaches can be bad but maybe you’ll be fine.

I, too, LOVE my Vitamix and made my own Almond Butter yesterday. Do you ever make your own?

Have a great time!

yogiclarebear July 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm

oh what a view! glad you made it, im really looking forward to your blog posts flowing with this getaway and the changes.

broccolihut July 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I always wonder the same thing every time I visit my aunt in Colorado–why don’t I live here?!

WholeBodyLove July 20, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Wow, Heather, that is one breathtaking place! I love that you are making oatgurt even while traveling :)

JENNA July 21, 2009 at 6:14 am

How gorgeous!!! :) I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Melanie July 21, 2009 at 7:06 am

Absolutely stunning! The world is a beautiful place!! Enjoy every minute of it :)

CaSaundra July 21, 2009 at 7:32 am

Ohh how I would love to be there!! Hope your enjoying yourself :0)

MarathonVal July 21, 2009 at 7:53 am

I’m soooo jealous you are in Colorado. Please keep posting pix!!

Melissa G July 21, 2009 at 8:44 am

Glad you are loving our beautiful state! Sometimes I do forget how awesome it is. Can’t wait to meet you soon :) )
Melissa

Tom July 25, 2009 at 10:26 am

Hey Heather, if you can’t find almond butter in Westcliffe, at least you know where to find it online! ;-) Have a great time in the Rockies! Love ya, Tom

{ 2 trackbacks }