Breakfast For Dinner

by HEAB on July 21, 2009

Yesterday, I spent about 40 minutes doing my own yoga sequence while listening to the Away We Go soundtrack (anyone else obsessed with Alexi Murdoch?) outside in the warm sunshine.  The time went by so fast, and I felt so rejuvenated afterwards even though I toppled over in Standing Bow…however, I nailed Half Moon. :) After a week of no yoga, I am really feeling all those Sun Salutations today.  My hammies are screaming at me.

The local natural foods store wasn’t a total bust:

Trader Joe's...I miss you.

Trader Joe's...I miss you.

I found my unsweetened almond milk, blue tortilla chips, and red pepper hummus, but the Annie’s dressing that CD requested was covered with dust and had expired in 2008.  Gross.

Lunch was crunchy and delicious:

Sunshine Salad

Sunshine Salad

This salad warmed my heart and my belly.  I topped some romaine with grape tomatoes, chopped yellow bell pepper, raw corn, spinach massaged with lemon juice, stevia, and 1/2 avocado, hummus, and blue tortilla chips.

Dinner was very un-Heather like, but I was really craving breakfast foods…

There is not one thing green on that plate.  Who are you and what have you done with HEAB?!?

There is not one thing green on that plate. Who are you and what have you done with HEAB?!?

Two eggs, sunny-side up with some turkey bacon and a big chocolate rice protein pancake smothered in crunchy almond butter.  Darn tasty my friends.  However, as y’all know, I usually end my evening with a bowl of carbs, aka oat bran.  Well, I’m trying to back off the grains a bit as I’ve been feeling the oat bloat lately.  I’m not cutting them out completely as oat bran is one of my most favorite foods ever, but I think 2 huge bowls every day was a bit much.  Anyway, I woke up starving at 1 AM and proceeded to eat an entire bag of frozen cherries.  They tasted so good and made me really cold.  Afterwards, I curled up under the comforter and slept like a baby.  Anyone else need carbs before going to bed?

Today, I think I will attempt to hike up the little mountain behind the house where we’re staying:

Wish me luck...and pray I don't encounter a rattlesnake!

Wish me luck...and pray I don't encounter a rattlesnake!

Mandy A July 21, 2009 at 8:55 am

Woohoo!! Great finds at the store!!!

Lunch looks amazing :)

Girl, I always need the carbs… I think it’s more of a comfort thing with me… but if I don’t have a carb/protein at each meal, I feel pretty light headed! I need both in my life!

Cindy July 21, 2009 at 8:59 am

AHHHHH you’re in NATURE heaven!!!!
so so sooooooooooooooooo jealous!!! LOL

and breakfast for dinner is so gooooood for the soul sometimes!

cracks me up you are making oatgurt ! for the moment I gave up…(for the moment though)

happy times!!!

VeggieGirl July 21, 2009 at 9:02 am

Half moon = my favorite pose!! :-)

Can’t go wrong with frozen cherries – or cherries, in general.

Enjoy that hike today – you’re in the perfect setting for it!!

Daria (Summer of the CSAs) July 21, 2009 at 9:05 am

Your vacation looks so idyllic I can hardly stand it. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who can eat a whole bag of frozen cherries at once. They’re so good! :)

Erica July 21, 2009 at 9:05 am

Expired in 2008 and was still on the shelf??? That is pretty scary. Glad you found nut butter though and tortilla chips (our shared addiction!) Good luck on the hike- looks like it will be INCREDIBLE

Whit July 21, 2009 at 9:06 am

Dinner looks like a plate of yum! Good luck on that hike! The pic is fabulous.

Megan July 21, 2009 at 9:07 am

Ack, you really are out in the wilderness!! I am not much for nature when i have to be IN it, but I quite enjoy seeing all of your beautiful pictures of it :)

those protein pancakes are too good. I havent had them in weeks, I have no idea where my brain has been! Of course, now, I must have them for dinner. MUST.

I can totally empathize on the “wtf, who has possessed you!??!” meals. I havent eaten meat in 7 years and yesterday I almost went CRAZY with the desire to eat a chicken nugget! Thankfully I resisted, but our body has got a mind of its own..

hope you’re vaycay is going well so far :)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) July 21, 2009 at 9:07 am

LOVE Alexi Murdoch, LOVE breakfast for dinner and LOVE you!! Have a good one, Heather!

Kristin July 21, 2009 at 9:08 am

Haha sometimes you gotta eat what you’re craving!! Yes if I don’t eat carbs at night my tummy growls until breakfast!

Your place in CO looks beautiful…enjoy your time there!

Graze With Me July 21, 2009 at 9:11 am

I’m a carbaholic as well, I think about 65% of my daily intake comes from carbs. I’m trying to get more fat in there but for some reason I struggle with that some days.

You’re going to climb that? You’re kidding. Little mountain my ass…

Jenny July 21, 2009 at 9:19 am

considering i’m kind of obsessed with breakast — i’m pretty sure i could eat it every meal of the day :)

Jess July 21, 2009 at 9:20 am

That’s frustrating about some of the local natural food stores – I’ve noticed that problem at ours which is why I go to whole foods and trader joes if possible. :(

That looks like an awesome dinner and I hope you enjoy your hike! I’m so jealous of your time in Colorado!

Shelby July 21, 2009 at 9:23 am

Half-Moon is one of my very favorite poses!

So glad you found some yummy eats! Horray for almond butter!

The salad looks amazing and I’m glad you switched it up for dinner. The pancake is making me hungry!

I love cherries! I finished off a whole pint in 2 nights before bed. So delicious.

Enjoy the hike!

coco July 21, 2009 at 9:39 am

yeap~~ i would have oat bran twice a day too, it’s sooo good! Actually I’ve been having twice a day and really enjoy it.
And yes, carbs before bed is essential for a good night sleep. :)

Katharina July 21, 2009 at 9:44 am

Can’t go wrong with breakfast for dinner :)

Colorado is beautiful. I would love to go hiking on mountains everyday. My grandpa use to do that in Colombia, but then his knee started giving out. He would also go up to the mountains to practice yoga.

ksgoodeats July 21, 2009 at 9:47 am

Ew to dusty, expired dressing. That’s not good eats!

What a great dinner! I’m with you though, a girl needs her night time carbs!

Stay away from the rattlesnakes!!

fartygirl July 21, 2009 at 9:59 am

I’ve been copycatting you all this past week. I bought unsweetened baker’s chocolate. Nuked it & swirled it in a little agave sweetened soy delicious yogurt. Then threw in almond butter & brown rice. Threw that on top of a sweet potato.

It was a little indulgent. Now off to the gym!

Your abode looks lovely. Have a wonderful vaca!

btw. how much does that almond butter cost out in no man’s land? Must be sooo expensive.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 21, 2009 at 10:04 am

Snakes? EEK! Well, maybe if you make enough of a ruckus, they’ll run away before you ever have a chance to see one. Looks like the grocery leaves something to be desired, but sometimes that inspires the most creativity! I have faith in HEAB, as always.

Maria July 21, 2009 at 10:17 am

Haha, the little mountain? That is going to be quite a hike–sound fabulous :D

I’ve been eating oat bran for dinner and it makes my tummy happy, so it’s not right before bed, but close!

Mmm, all the eats look absolutely delicious though, even though the last one doesn’t have a spec of green in it :)

Linda July 21, 2009 at 10:18 am

Nothing worse then a dust covered, expired bottle of ANything..lol YUK!

Glad you were able to find some goods though.

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself tremendously already ;D

I don’t know, that “little Mountain” looks mighty BIG to me. Stay safe girly!

Meghan July 21, 2009 at 10:25 am

I LOVE having eggs for a quick and easy dinner..when the craving strikes isn’t it just the best?! haha love the frozen cherries…I alwayss need carbs before I fall asleep too..it makes my belly happy!!

jacobc July 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

I’ll be looking for some scenic pics from the top of that mountain..if we don’t get a post tommorrow i’ll assume it had something to do with a rattlesnake!! I’m guessing the pups aren’t up for a mountain climb to protect you ;-p
I always have to have some carbs before bed! Usually a couple powerbars and boiled eggs.. can’t go to sleep on an empty tummy!
Now you have me wanting breakfast for dinner tonight, sounds good to me..
Has CD found some running good running trails?
Cheers, J

Lea July 21, 2009 at 10:44 am

it’s been soooo (too) long since i’ve done yoga. i used to do it every day, but now i’m addicted to cardio. i shall get back on the yoga train soon.

haha…for a minute there i thought you posted a pic of CD’s dinner. then i was whut whut!!! heck, i’ve had fish for bfast. yup that’s how we Asians roll.

i try to avoid too much carb at night cause i tend to bloat easily. but i will always be a carb girl at heart. ^^

JB July 21, 2009 at 11:06 am

mmmm, the salad looks gooood! and i really am shocked at the greenless plate! haha. but there’s nothing wrong with a little lack of green here and there. :)

good luck on that mountain! and forget rattle snakes, i hope you don’t encounter a mountain lion or something equally as scary! but that mountain is gorgeous. i want these beautiful views you’re getting! keep enjoying the trip! and that’s gross about the salad dressing CD wanted…

-JB

elise July 21, 2009 at 11:22 am

thanks for the email. thats so cool that you guys can get away for a bit. in terms of flexible jobs, it sounds like you both are very fortunate, and props for taking advantage. ill try to make up for the lack of green on your plate while youre away, although i too have been craving weird, un-elise things lately…anyways, have fun hiking and yoga-ing, and stay away from snakes.

ps wise choice avoiding the dusty bottle circa 2008…

polly July 21, 2009 at 11:29 am

hi lovie!!!!

oooh Trader Joe should make a road trip out there, eh?? ;) Oh that hike looks YUMMY… have a wonderful time! I love your dinner… girl, GREEN foods are overrated. hehe Just kiddin. Sorta. :P

How are the pups? Are they doing okay, I remember you saying they took a whle to adjust. How is CD liking his runs? That boy is OLYMPICS bound, I just feel it. If he does go, can I come along as the personal yoga trainer? I want to meet Matt Lauer when he wins his medal!! hehe

Love you, sweet friend. So love hearing about your stay! Today a friend from Nashville named BJ visited my yoga class, and I was able to say I have some friends in Nashville… you being one of them! I didn’t even hesitate… my heabs is part of the fam. :)

Love you bunches, like bananas. XOXO PolPeach

The Fit Collegiate July 21, 2009 at 11:29 am

Sounds like Colorado is going wonderfully!

That salad looks delicious! And so does your very uncharacteristic dinner…breakfast is the best meal of the day, why not celebrate it at all times??

jacobc July 21, 2009 at 11:33 am

hmm.. so 8000 ft isn’t enough elevation.? You have to go climb the mountain? ;-p

jenngirl July 21, 2009 at 11:34 am

I have no doubt you’ll get your greens in sometime!! That dinner looks delicious, I need to learn how to do eggs sunnyside up, I think I would like them a lot!

Brandi July 21, 2009 at 11:46 am

i love your bfast for dinner – right up my alley.

have so much fun today!!!

Ali July 21, 2009 at 11:57 am

It sounds like you are having such a nice time. I am a little jealous of you (well actually a lot jealous). Reading about your life makes me want to go live in the country with dogs (which I do not have) and a husband (which I do not have). I would come into civilization twice a week to spend time with friends and to go to the library and such, but I would love to live out in the country, writing, reading, hiking, and spending time with that husband I don’t have. Odd that I am writing this because this was never my fantasy, but seeing it lived out by you–well it has become my fantasy. Maybe one day I can do that. I just would need a writing job that would provide health care.

Keep enjoying your stay out in Colorado.

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 21, 2009 at 11:57 am

Your supper looked yummy. I love eggs. Enjoy your hike. Looks SO fun.

snackpak July 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Beautiful plates of food, yes even the second one. And beautiful place to vacay!
I agree with the having to not be hungry if wanting a full night of sleep..nothing like a satisfied tummy to help induce you into an 8-hour food coma.

MarathonVal July 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Gross, dust covered AND expired?!?!? Haha at least you found a health food store! :)

Angharad July 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm

So long as I’m not starving hungry I much prefer to go to sleep with less in my belly. I can’t have food still disgesting – hate that feeling! While I do zonk out quickly if I’m full (and feel warmer!) I also feel really uncomfortable in the tum. Weird! Plus I fall asleep on my belly and that doesn’t really work if it’s full up :)

I can’t believe you are staying in that house by that mountain. Wow.

livingfreeforever July 21, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I love standing bow and half moon!:) I missed hot yoga last night due to car trouble and I was really bummed. Came home and did a little on my own.

The house you are staying at is so pretty with that mountain behind it. Have fun hiking! oh, and your dinner made my mouth water!

I’m glad we still get to hear from you while you are away:)

nicole h July 21, 2009 at 2:16 pm

sounds like a great beautiful trip! glad to hear your natural food trip went well.

Gina July 21, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Nothing wrong with breakfast for dinner!! It sounds so beautiful there. My best friend’s sister and friend moved out there recently, so she’s been going every few months, and I’m totally jealous :)

Marycela July 21, 2009 at 3:18 pm

ooooh the climb looks like a lot of fun, good luck and hope you don’t encounter any snakes at all.

Hope the pups are doing better and boo to the health store for carrying expired food. When did yall find out it was expired? Hope yall didn’t have to taste it to find out.

Okay have fun on the rest of your trip, let us know how the hike/climb goes.

Maggie July 21, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Your lunch is so well combined :) Now I notice combining every time I read blogs.

You have to try oat bran with avocado and honey – I just had it for lunch and it was awesome. (Lots of honey)

I like breakfast for dinner too. Especially waffles. I’m going to have to come up with a well-combined waffle recipe now.

Susan July 21, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Don’t worry Heather, I think you’ve eaten enough greens to last you a lifetime ;) I notice you have Kettle almond butter – I’ve only ever seen their chips before. I didn’t even know they expanded into other products. Don’t quite know how “nut butter” fits into kettle cooking though…

Cottage cheese or yogurt seem to be the best bedtime foods for me. Don’t know why, they just sit in my belly well throughout the night (and don’t wake me up at an ungodly hour with a hungry and pissed off tummy!)

I’m SO jealous of your scenery!! Hope your mountain climbing attempt went okay!! :)

traveleatlove July 21, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Gorgeous view!!!

Mandy Unruh July 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm

So glad you got to Colorado safely. It looks gorgeous! Thanks for bringing us along. I made husband breakfast for dinner yesterday, too! Great minds…xoxo

justrun July 21, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I’m more of a protein before bed person. Carbs do the trick, too, but I don’t really like the after effects. Or, rather, my gut doesn’t.
Hope you enjoyed that hill! :)

Michal Mymo July 21, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I hope you enjoyed your hike!
Those pancakes do look delish and im glad that you got alot of tasty goodies at the health food store :)

Michal

psychoj1 July 21, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Oh my gosh that cabin and around land is beautiful! Glad you enjoyed yoga and love breakfast for dinner :D
<3 jess
xoxo

buffmuffy July 21, 2009 at 7:48 pm

well today was my second attempt at zucchini chips. i can’t seem to get them a chip consistency… either too soft or burnt lol. any suggestions? i followed your instructions .. :(
-muffy

eatlivelovedream July 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

That view looks AMAZING!!!! hope your hike went well!

Ruby Red Vegan July 21, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Oh, the oat bloat! During the early days of my oat bran obsession, I also got a little excited and started having a few large bowls a day. The problem was, spring was beginning and it was way too warm outside to carry around a tummy full of slowly-digesting oats twice a day! :) Hehe. Oh, and I am loving the massaged greens (well, kale) with lemon, salt, and avocado…sooo yum!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 22, 2009 at 12:35 am

I hope you wrestled those rattlesnakes to the ground, sister! You could totally take them after your manly meal. And that is a compliment, to your meal…you are a soft and delicate flower. ;)

WholeBodyLove July 22, 2009 at 2:23 am

I almost always end up eating some sort of oats and yogurt or fruit before bed. Yum!

Erin July 22, 2009 at 5:16 am

Breakfast for dinner always makes me so happy. I feel like a little kid…I thought getting pancakes for dinner was the best thing ever then. It is still pretty darn good!
That mountain looks awesome!!!!!! And hard, I hope it went well!
I’ve never seen mountains like that…it’s so impressive looking.

Jessica July 22, 2009 at 6:35 am

Looks fantastic out there! Good luck on your hike!

HeatherBakes July 22, 2009 at 6:45 am

Oh man, I love love LOVE the Away We Go soundtrack! We saw the movie and I came home and immediately downloaded the soundtrack. It’s so pretty and mellow.

CaSaundra July 22, 2009 at 7:33 am

I always need some kind of carb-y snack before bed! Popcorn and an apple with cinn usually does the trick.

Rattlesnakes–eek!

Justine July 22, 2009 at 9:05 am

HEABS!! I miss you. Wow, look at that dinner. I miss eggs badly. I so wish you were here. Kim and I went to Mad Donnas last night and I know if you were here you would have been with us :( . Hope you and CD are getting some nice alone time *wink* *wink*. I bought some corn last night with Kim so I am all up for some experimenting.

Love Ya!!
Justine

missyrayn July 22, 2009 at 9:35 am

I’m still working on my half-moon. I always fall out of it. I think my back and abs aren’t strong enough yet post surgery. It’s a personal goal of mine to do it soon.

I love doing my own yoga flows. Don’t get me wrong I love classes, DVD’s and FitTV but sometimes I just like the stretch of my favorite poses. Other times I don’t have access to the above but still love my yoga because it makes my hips and back feel a MILLION times better.

Jess July 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

I don’t have any of those foods in Belgium :-( I keep reading all your great meals but I can never try most of them!
Keep up the great work, I want to do yoga too but I don’t know where to start!