New Oat Topping And Crazy Weather

by HEAB on July 22, 2009

Yesterday, I tried something really odd for breakfast, but it worked…for me anyway. :)

I know, I know...what bizarre combo has HEAB tried now? :)

I know, I know...what bizarre combo has HEAB tried now?

Oat bran + vanilla rice protein powder topped with raw granola (aka raw corn) = a delicious bowl of warm oats & crunchy sweetness.  Don’t knock it till you try it.

Then, I hiked up the mountain behind our house.  The hike up wasn’t bad at all, and only took 15 minutes. The hike down was a different story altogether.  I had my obligatory fall but ended up back at the house in one piece.

See our house below?

See the house below?

Sangre de Cristo mountain range in the distance.

Sangre de Cristo mountain range in the distance.

Afterwards, I took one of our pups on a walk while I talked to VeggieGirl on the phone.  Love you VG! CD and I then decided to enjoy the sunny day and walk around the little town of Westcliffe.  It’s about 10 miles to town, and by the time we got there, the rain clouds were upon us.  We walked around for 10 minutes before we felt the first rain drops.  The temperature quickly dropped about 20 degrees, and we proceeded to drive home in the worst hail storm I have ever experienced.  It was wild.

Hale on the deck.

Hail on the deck.

Before I go, I wanted to share my new favorite stevia along with my new favorite smoothie ingredient.

Finally...a stevia with no funky aftertaste!

Finally...a stevia with no funky aftertaste!

Many thanks to the folks at NuNaturals for allowing me to sample some of their products.  I received this package right before we left Nashville, and I am so grateful I did.  The liquid clear stevia in the plastic bottle fits easily in my purse for when I need a little sweet action on the go.  I also packed the white stevia packets for our trip.  Y’all, this is seriously the best tasting powdered stevia I’ve tried.  Most brands leave a weird taste in my mouth, but I am quite pleased with the flavor of NuNaturals‘ version…great in smoothies, and I can’t wait to try the rest of the products when we get back home.  Thanks again NuNaturals!

Speaking of smoothies…

OK, want to know how to really bulk up that smoothie?

Guess that ingredient.

Frozen rhubarb.  Thanks for the recommendation reader Deb!  Frozen rhubarb really bulks things up and adds a nice boost of fiber, vitamin C, and calcium to the mix.  You may need to add a bit more sweetener of choice.  My smoothie contained 1 cup almond milk, 2 TBSP chia seeds, frozen strawberries, frozen rhubarb, Jay Robb vanilla rice protein powder, and 1 packet of NuStevia.  Topped it all off with some crunchy almond butter.  Fruity and filling.

Hail is gone, and the sun is out…bye. :)

VeggieGirl July 22, 2009 at 10:02 am

LOVE YOU TOO, HEATHER!!! :-D

Oh my, frozen rhubarb – sensational!

Erica July 22, 2009 at 10:07 am

I love oats with veggies! Its so fun that oats can go both ways (sweet or savory!) Hail- my goodness! Glad you two are having fun and getting in some fabulous time outside.

Ruby Red Vegan July 22, 2009 at 10:08 am

Raw corn, huh? My mind hasn’t quite wrapped around it yet, but if it’s like granola, then why not?!
Thanks for the frozen rhubarb tip – I almost bought it to put in a banana smoothie last summer and then someone talked me out of it and said it would be gross. You talked me back into it!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 22, 2009 at 10:10 am

You know what, I kinda love the idea of sweet corn on top of oats! I mean, grits are a breakfast food and made from corn (or at least hominy), no? Why not just put it on top? And whole too! Way to out the middleman, HEAB, as usual.

buffmuffy July 22, 2009 at 10:16 am

I bet that corn and oats tastes like a corn casserole which i love!
rhubarb.. who woulda thunk? I love it in pies with strawberries, but alas that is something to eat once a year lol.
-muffy

Linda July 22, 2009 at 10:24 am

Wow, what a beautiful hike that must have been :D

Now, that is a wierd concoction! LOL! But like you, I’ve learned not to knock it till I’ve tried it :D

Whoa on that hail…freaky I’ll bet!

Whit July 22, 2009 at 10:25 am

What a pretty hike! I love the smoothie combo, it makes for a gorgeous smoothie!

Graze With Me July 22, 2009 at 10:26 am

I was wondering if that storm hit you! I heard about it on the news yesterday, our normal mild Colorado weather has been completely upside down lately, we’ve even had tornadoes in Denver. VERY RARE.

That rhubarb smoothie looks AMAZING. I love rhubarb, I used to eat it plain straight from my mom’s garden when I was little…

Rose July 22, 2009 at 10:31 am

Interesting oat topping… I used lettuce yesterday and must admit it was weird for me. I think corn might be ok though :)

Jess July 22, 2009 at 10:31 am

I need to try raw corn – it seems to be the big hit in the blogosphere lately. It sounds weird but I’m sure it’s goooood! :)

I love rhubarb, I’ll have to try it in my smoothie when we see it at the grocery store again!

Maria July 22, 2009 at 10:46 am

Whoa, I would love to try rhubarb in my smoothies! What a brilliant idea and lovely color :D Maybe I should add some strawberries too? Hehe.

I’ve had trouble with stevia leaving a bad taste in my mouth–thanks for the rec Heather! I’ll look around for it.

Oooh, corn in oatmeal sounds fabulous to me actually. I love corn, and it is a sweet dessert to me sometimes, just plain. I have to try it raw too–can’t wait :)

That is some crazy hail! Hope you continue to enjoy yourself in Colorado!!!

JB July 22, 2009 at 10:47 am

such beautiful scenery! and i love raw corn. i wonder if i would like it on oat bran! i love when you make strange combinations, HEAB. have some fun in the sun today! :)

-JB

Justine July 22, 2009 at 10:49 am

Love me some frozen rhubarb. Kinda stringy though, no? That is some freaky azz weather. At least you got in a nice little hike before all the craziness. I am about to eat lunch and cant decide what to eat. I think I may go with the oats, avo, and corn. Sounds mexi but I am going for sweet :)

~Justine

ksgoodeats July 22, 2009 at 10:56 am

You never fail to impress me with your inventive eats – that’s a good thing!! I don’t think I would have ever thought of having corn in oats!

Holy Hail! That’s crazy!! Glad you survived your first day unscathed :)

Ellen (Peace in Motion) July 22, 2009 at 11:12 am

I was just trying to figure out what to do with my last rhubarb stalk… freezing it is such a good idea!!

MarathonVal July 22, 2009 at 11:22 am

I love stevia too, but I think some of their products contain erithritol (sp?) which I’m not so sure is an all-natural ingredient. How do you feel about this? I FEEL like it’s healthy, but I’m worried that they will eventualy come out and say that it’s just as bad as splenda or something…

Lara (Thinspired) July 22, 2009 at 11:22 am

Actually I bet the raw corn was really good! I’ve been putting it in my salads lately and it’s so sweet and crunchy :)
I can see how rhubarb would be a good fit for you…I read somewhere that it is technically a veggie so you can kind of get that fruity taste still ;)

polly July 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

hi honey! Hope you got my email. :D Love the idea of corn on oats?!?! How fun! Kind reminds me of the feed we fed our 4-H animals, however. hehe corn + oats = barn food. ;)

I love the idea of RHUBARB, too! I think a strawberry rhubarb bowl of oats would be amazing!!

Love you. Simple day. I have been attacking Abbi’s closet, now her drawers of clothes (Good Will here we come to donate!!) and then my closet. LOVE to clear out stuff… more closet space = more brain space.

Love you lots!! We had corn on the cob for lunch with grilled chicken and a big salads of romaine + avocado. mmm.

Big hugs!! Watch out for hail!!! That hike looked beautiful. Love you, Heaby Peach. XOXO Pols

Cindy July 22, 2009 at 11:45 am

Raw corn on anything is YUM!
I am so impressed at your good eats while traveling! good for you! and what wild weather!

that’s nature for you! unpredictable!

runeatrepeat July 22, 2009 at 11:50 am

I’m excited about that new stevia!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Sweet raw corn actually sounds REALLY good to me!

elise July 22, 2009 at 12:35 pm

no comment. haha

cant wait to hear about the stevia. i have only tried the stevia by the sugar in the raw company, does that one have any of those sketchy additives?

Melissa S. July 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm

corn sounds like an awesome topping!!!

Beth @ CrossBorderCravings July 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Frozen rhubarb – what a GREAT idea! I love rhubarb but have only ever really had it in jam or pies. I will be giving this a try very soon!

Alison July 22, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Corn is an odd oats topping but it makes sense. A nice texture and some sweetness. Cool breakfast!

charlotte July 22, 2009 at 1:30 pm

There is just something so addictive about raw corn! Yummy!

Marta July 22, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I like how creative you are with your breakfasts. I put peanut/almond butter on my morning omelete. People think that’s weird/gross… I think it’s heavenly!
You’re lucky to have a great hike right on your backyard!

April July 22, 2009 at 2:10 pm

If it works for you and you like it that’s all that matters :)

I’m suppose to being getting some samples of that Stevia as well! I can’t wait!

Susan July 22, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Ahh, raw corn sounds like digestion hell to me :P I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for that NuStevia stuff. I already use stevia, but I’m not really down with the funky aftertaste either.

livingfreeforever July 22, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Corn on oats?? That IS wild! I guess it would be pretty good since raw corn is sweet. That hail storm is crazy too!

Marissa July 22, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Good to know about the stevia! I have not been able to find one that I can stand, so I hope I can test that one out soon.

bakersblurbs July 22, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. I saw the picture of this post in my little “page preview” and thought “is…is that what I think it is?” And yes, it’s CORN! Hahah, Heather you have just inspired me to use up my bountiful harvest. Over the weekend we picked up some ears of corn from a local farmer, and well, now I can put them to use!

Hm… I’ve never tried that brand of Stevia before. I’m not really a fan of others, but maybe I’ll give it a go.

Marycela July 22, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Oats and veggies.. yum

Glad you make it through the storm and thanks for sharing about the NuStevia. Love the blogs.

Shelby July 22, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I have frozen rhubarb and had no idea what to do with it, I’m totally making that smoothie!

Ooo and the raw corn idea is genius! Raw corn is so sweet I don’t know why you wouldn’t put it on oats. I’m going to try that one too.

Love your ideas and love you!!!

ttfn300 July 22, 2009 at 7:00 pm

i’m diggin the corn on the oatmeal :) and rhubarb in a smoothie?? great idea! that view looks awesome… crazy weather though ;)

Olivia July 22, 2009 at 7:03 pm

heather, i came across your blog through another blog, and have been enjoying reading through your posts. i love all the amazingly wonderful ideas you provide! i look forward to reading more! enjoy your time up in the mountains-i have a bit of experience with a more isolated way of living: i am a teacher in a first nations reserve in northern ontario. life is different up there, very quiet-nearest town is about an hour south of us (hour and a half in winter), we only get dial up internet, and everyone knows what everyone is doing. i can go a little stir crazy from time to time, but ultimately, in my four years up there, i have grown to love it!

krissa July 22, 2009 at 7:30 pm

normally I drool over every picture you post. However, today is the exception. I could not do corn + oats. EVER. Probably because I ONLY like corn on the cob with lots of salt and I cannot even remember the last time I had that.

I do love your outdoor photos though. It is beautiful there!!!

gina (fitnessista) July 22, 2009 at 7:49 pm

heaby, you know i love you, but when i saw this post, i threw up a little. i HATE corn. haaaaaaate it… unless it’s in chip, tortilla of tamale form ;)
the smoothie and stevia fairy made me feel better :D i got those nunaturals goodies too and can’t wait to play with them!
continue enjoying your beautiful vacation!

hayleycepeda July 22, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Corn on oats..that is definitely a new one!! I love how you try all these new combinations – I don’t know if anyone else would come up with such interestingly creative meals. I have been hearing/reading so much about the Stevia Nu Naturals and if it doesn’t have the nasty aftertaste I’m all for it. I haven’t been able to swallow Stevia because it tastes so bitter. How awesome that they sent those to you!!

psychoj1 July 22, 2009 at 8:15 pm

What an interesting idea. That actually sounds really enticing. Hmm!
Enjoy the cabin!
<3 jess

glidingcalm July 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm

awww im sorry you took a topple!! raw corn sounds goooooooood

yogiclarebear July 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm

you you got all my yums today! i love rhubarb and strawberries in oats. kindof like a strawberry rhubarb pie!

i tried that Nu Stevia brand last week, it was good! NOW foods also makes a great non-bitter stevia powder and liquid.

enjoying your adventures heather… :)

WholeBodyLove July 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm

That is one interesting breakfast…this is why I must visit HEAB everyday!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 23, 2009 at 1:20 am

Is it weird that I’m feeling the corn oats? I totally see where you were going with that one. Not saying I’m going to do it, but I feel you nonetheless.

JENNA July 23, 2009 at 6:23 am

I wish I was on vacay with you!! It just looks so beautiful there! I’ve been wanting to try stevia forever!!

Michal Mymo July 23, 2009 at 6:51 am

The view looks so pretty, and i think the idea of corn on a tasty bowl of oats sounds crazy enough to work. :) the rhubarb smoothie looks tasty too! Oh i made that almond butter and it took me forever, i thought my poor food processor was going to die out on me. I ended up only getting a little bit out of it so I think im just going to turn it into some ABU

Michal (lilearthmuffin)

CaSaundra July 23, 2009 at 7:23 am

Corn is actually a surprisingly great addition to dishes! Have you tried freeze-dried corn?! It’s super sweet and crunchy–perfect for all kinds of stuff

Erin July 23, 2009 at 8:10 am

I just recently tried raw corn, and I have to say, I bet those were good oats! I just want to eat raw corn all the time. It’s soooo good. No idea why I’ve only ever been given it cooked!
I can’t get over those mountains, so different from what I’m used to, but so amazing looking!
I’m intrigued by that stevia. All liquid stevia I’ve had has a funky aftertaste. I don’t mind it too much, but without would certainly be preferable.
Keep enjoying your time in Colorado, my dear!

Mary July 23, 2009 at 9:28 am

Interesting breakfast..I need to give the raw corn a try.

I finally tried the Amazing Grass and I have to agree with you on your earlier post about this stuff. To grassy or earthy for this girl too:)

Enjoy your time in Colorado. The photos are awesome!

kim July 23, 2009 at 9:41 am

I’m definitely writing down the Nu Stevia and Jay Robb vanilla rice protein. Thanks so much for sharing the tips with all of us! And the frozen rhubarb! I’m adding this to my when-I-get-a-blender list for sure.

Jess July 23, 2009 at 9:54 am

how weird!!
you live in a beautiful area!

meeses July 23, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Hey there! Is your frozen rhubarb also raw? Thanks, and those pics look yummy!

Mariam July 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I think SweetLeaf stevia is awesome- SteviaPlus is my favorite. I haven’t tried NuNaturals, but I looked at their packet’s ingredients and they use maltodextrin (which has a higher glycemic index than sugar itself) as a filler! SweetLeaf, on the other hand, uses a beneficial prebiotic fiber derived from chicory root as it’s filler. A much healthier choice.

Deb July 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm

LOVE the corn- in any form on any thing. The tastiest thing at the cafe when I was in elementary school was the canned corn- yes, I even like it canned. So that was sheer genius to put it on oats! :-)

{ 1 trackback }