Not One Blended Meal…

by HEAB on July 23, 2009

There were a few of you not too happy with my choice of oat topping yesterday.  Sorry about that. ;)

Hopefully, today’s breakfast will sound more appealing…if anything, it sure tasted good!

Chocolate Covered Cherry Oats

Chocolate Covered Cherry Oats

This morning’s bowl consisted of 1/2 cup oat bran cooked with 1 1/2 cups water + 1 scoop of Sun Warrior chocolate rice protein powder (loving the Sun Warrior chocolate – better than their vanilla.) + 1/2 square Baker’s unsweetened baking chocolate + frozen cherries.  No veggies included!   Those bites that included oats, melted chocolate, and a cherry…wow!

Lately, I’ve been struggling a bit with balanced eating.  When I find something that works for me, I tend to eat it again and again. Over these past few weeks, I’d grown to rely on my big bowls of veggie blended oats a bit too much. They tasted good, kept me full, and helped me maintain my weight. Problem was I was eating them everyday…sometimes twice.  So, while we’re staying out West, I made a promise to myself that I would incorporate more foods back into my diet.

Last night’s dinner…no Vita-Mix required:

IMG_2879The original plan was for a chicken fajita style dinner, but I somehow ended up with a plate of sauteed onions, green bell pepper, mushrooms, roasted broccoli, grilled chicken, and hummus.  Mexican or not, still yummy.  What is it about the onion, pepper, mushroom combo?  So good!

Dessert was…

a plain baked sweet potato. One of my favorites!

a plain baked sweet potato.

So, I’m definitely shaking things up around my eats and really enjoying some old favorites. As far as exercise goes, I’ve been doing a lot of walking.  At home, we have a fenced in yard, and our dogs go in and out as they please.  No fences here, and my days are filled with several dog walks.  Einstein and Radley both get so excited to see their leashes – so funny, and I love getting out in the sunshine with them. We’re a bit of a drive from some good hiking, but I’m hoping to get up in the mountains this weekend.  There has been some yoga here and there,  and I’m planning on a longer podcast later today.

Contador…Armstong…what do y’all think?  I’m leaning towards Contador these days.

Johanna B July 23, 2009 at 10:48 am

Cherry, chocolate oats. Yummers. I am enjoying the posts about your trip out west. That was some hail storm you had.

Cindy July 23, 2009 at 10:55 am

But if raw corn on you oats made you go MMMMM why worry about what ALL of us think?? So many of your creations have spurred such great inspiration! Don’t STOP!!!

I missed raw corn on my salad yesterday and I was sad for a long time! So I have mine today!

your cherry covered oats looks like it could also qualify as dinner, AND dessert!

OH and I finally found your coconut butter and I coated my gnocchi with it…dinner AND dessert! it was to DIE FOR!

glad you are taking the quieter days to revisit old food faves!

good for you!

Cuts and Curves July 23, 2009 at 11:01 am

Oh my word! I’d take your breakfast for lunch, dinner and dessert today! It looks incredible.

buffmuffy July 23, 2009 at 11:06 am

mmm the breakfast looks amazing!
-muffy

Emily July 23, 2009 at 11:12 am

I’m definitely cheering for Contador too! Its really exciting to watch, regardless.

Your eats look great. I can really relate to finding a food that you like and makes you feel good and possibly overdoing it a bit. Variety is definitely key.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 23, 2009 at 11:14 am

Glad you are working on incorporating some things back in. I wanted to let you know I’ve cut back a lot on sugar (including fruit and grains, which I tend to overdo) and I feel fantastic! I don’t even have that 2 p.m. slump at work anymore :)

Have fun out there!

JB July 23, 2009 at 11:14 am

oh i know…onion, pepper, and mushrooms…SO GOOD! with hummus, even better of course. and thanks again for emailing me! i’ll be sure to let you know when i make the oats! :)

-JB

p.s. when i find out that i really like something, i tend to eat it all the time too. i think everyone does!

Rose July 23, 2009 at 11:16 am

It sounds beautiful where you are. No fences? I’d live there forever :)

jacobc July 23, 2009 at 11:28 am

Now that breakfast looks a little better! ;-) I don’t think i’ve ever tried cherries on my oatmeal/cereal before though..

The pups are to funny..hehe, i wish i could see that! Funny how quick they catch on! Have they acclimated to the altitude now?

And about the tour.. it ain’t over til its over! I learned that real quick in the 5ks- it doesn’t matter if there are a dozen kids/teens in front of my at 800 yards, it is who crosses the line first!
So exciting though!
Go lance!

Ali July 23, 2009 at 11:29 am

That breakfast and dinner looks totally yummy. I end up eating the same things over and over because I like them. And then one day, I want something totally different.

Sounds fun that you can take many walks with the dogs.

Susan July 23, 2009 at 11:31 am

I approve of those oats much more ;)

I think Contador is too far ahead now for anyone to catch up in what little time there is left. Which sucks, because I’m not a huge fan. I’m happy that Andy Schleck is at least in second. Lance will have to work hard to keep that podium spot, 4-6th place are quite close to him.

I’m a little bummed my Columbia boys are pretty much done for. I had high hopes for Cavendish and George!

Whit July 23, 2009 at 11:36 am

I thought the raw corn was ingenious…but chocolate cherry covered oats. I know what I’m having for bfast tomorrow!

Melissa S. July 23, 2009 at 11:38 am

i thought the corn was awesome. no hate!

hae fun w/ the puppies!

Shelby July 23, 2009 at 11:48 am

Well I personally loved the corn idea and people will be seeing it on my blog sometime soon!

Sweet Potatoes are good as breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert! The best food ever? Maybe…

Mmm, I’ve had my share of Chocolate Cherry Oats, to-die-for!

nicole h July 23, 2009 at 11:51 am

awesome brekkie, although i did like your raw corn addition yesterday. sweet potatoes are fabulous i love he with peanut butter

Erica July 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

WOW your bfast looks fab today. Fruit and chocolate? How can you go wrong. Love that you’re mixing up the dinner- its nice to do that every once in a while (I always get stuck in ruts too…but they’re tasty ruts ;) .

VeggieGirl July 23, 2009 at 12:22 pm

The chocolate and sweet potato = oh yes, please.

JB July 23, 2009 at 12:29 pm

aren’t i just the most annoying blogger ever? i hate to ask…but i have ONE more question for you! what temperature and for how long do you bake your sweet potatoes for? because that one looks like PERFECTION. i have a really big one at home right now, and i usually buy medium-small sized ones, so i’m not sure how long i should bake it for.

fartygirl July 23, 2009 at 12:32 pm

sweet potato & almond butter are addicting. that baker’s choc is pretty good too. i didn’t even miss the shug. :)

veganfritz July 23, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I tend to fall into food ruts & yeah, Contador is enduring the pressure from Armstrong, eh? Showin’ he’s the best.

^JB- On my sweet po’ I go 60 min. @ 400 degrees. However, I’ll give a precautionary check @ 50 min depending on size.

gina (fitnessista) July 23, 2009 at 12:44 pm

hahah today’s oats look MUCH better over here :D
i totally agree about the onion, mushroom, pepper combo.. why is it so delicious?
our puppies love their walks, too! i look forward to them as well- super peaceful and then the puppies are sane the rest of the day
have a wonderful day!

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 23, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I love cherries. What could be better than oats + cherries + chocolate?? Awesome… :)

Katharina July 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Variety is important :) Different foods offer different benefits and they also taste wonderfully different too. Can I use that word anymore? Frozen cherries are one of my favorites!

Meredith July 23, 2009 at 1:20 pm

That is one fabulous oat topping!

Deb July 23, 2009 at 1:33 pm

You go sister! Shake things up! So good for you to step out of that comfort zone. LOVE the choc/cherry combo- brilliant!

foodnfit July 23, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I definitely have a habit of doing that as well–the more I like something the more I’ll eat it. I need to work on changing it up a bit for sure!

hayleycepeda July 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Rats!! I had a nice post all typed out and my cat stepped on the “delete” key and somehow erased the whole thing. I was agreeing with Cindy on that if you like eating raw corn and oats then go for it and post it! I say we can’t knock it ’til we’ve tried it. :) The cherry chocolate oats combo looks soooo good!! I imagine it tastes similar to cherry pie? I’m an oats girl, too.

I was curious to know whether or not you can use the vitamix to make your nut butters? I keep reading stuff about not using it for grains. Are they saying not to blend oats and guinoa and that kind of stuff in it? Nuts, too?

Metta July 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around frozen cherries – corn I can handle. My teeth hurt just thinking about it.

I have a tendency to get into a rut too. If I like something it can be in my diet for years.

livingfreeforever July 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Your breakfast was right up my ally!!! I have been blending frozen cherries,coconut milk, oatgurt and chocolate hemp protein powder(since I can’t have chocolate any other way). That is my favorite at the moment.

Mandy A July 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I love your breakfast!!!!!!! I may do that one this weekend myself! YUM!

And love the chicken! Onions,peppers and mushrooms are my absolute fav combo, too!!!

I hear ya on the balanced eating… I am WAY out of whack here. I don’t know what’s up. I don’t even know who this chick is at the moment!

I’m so glad you’re enjoying yourself! Miss you!

polly July 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm

hi heabs honey!
I love all your food… the barn food included. :D

We watched a little of the race last night… I don’t know a single thing about biking, except it makes me nervous that they ride with those clippy shoes and I would totally freak out and fall over if I thought my feet were attatched. I can barely stay on two wheels riding my fat tire bike around the neighborhood. :)

I am not a Lance Armstrong fan. Not sure why, don’t mean to judge. He is just I dont’ know… seems sorta into LANCE. But I don’t know the guys, and he does have some killer calf muscles, so you know. :P

Love you, and enjoy every drop of CO! XOXO

Marissa July 23, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Oh my goodness….cherries and chocolate…*swoon* one of my favorites!

I find that I eat the same thing over and over and over again for a while. I just CRAVE it. I assume my body *needs* something from it, and then one day…poof! it’s gone!

Right now I want some almond butter ;-)

Gina July 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm

As much as I would like to see Lance win…I think Contador is going to. If I were a betting kind of girl, I’d put money on it.

I’m glad you are enjoying your time in Colorado!!

cottchz July 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm

i do the exact same thing too heather, you’re not alone. many people eat the exact same breakfast every day :p i’ve had so many problems with my digestive system, this is the first time in years i havent been on 8 meds for it and i’ve been doing shakes all day until dinner and its working great! soemtimes you just gotta do what works for you and your body! however, the red flag comes into play if it is ruling your life, glad you’re trying some new stuff out there though :) texture and chewing is good, keeps our jaw muscles in tact!

so my really good friends just moved to nashville, i might just get out there sooner or later :p

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 23, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Don’t let the corn haters get to ya. You heat that salmon butt girl!

Hope you are enjoying your trip oh so much!!!

Michal Mymo July 23, 2009 at 6:15 pm

The corn idea sounded pretty tasty to me – those people dont know what there talking about! Your oats looks so yummy cherries and chocolate wow! :)

Michal (lilearthmuffin)

Marycela July 23, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Diversity is always a good thing, but I always say why mess with a good thing.

That sweet potato looks yummy and hot!

kristin f. July 23, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Those oats look wonderful- I wish I didn’t have a sensitivity to chocolate. I love that you made a reference to the Tour… I’m still bummed about Leipheimer’s wrist!

psychoj1 July 23, 2009 at 7:22 pm

That breakfast sounds fantastic. LOVE dark chocolate and cherry. One of the best combos EVER!
<3 jess

roseyrebecca July 23, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I agree with everyone else!! Eat corn on your oats if you want to!! The melted chocolate cherry oats look amazing too though!!

Rebecca

missyrayn July 23, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I’ve had similar oatmeal with blueberries and chocolate. It’s a nice sweet treat.

I’m not a huge fan of veggies in my oats but I’m always intrigued at the combos you come up with. One day I may actually get brave enough to try one.

broccolihut July 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Way to go on shaking up your eating patterns a bit. Sometimes I think I should give up my nightly smoothie habit…but then I come to my senses;)

WholeBodyLove July 23, 2009 at 11:15 pm

It is so hard to deviate from a food combo that you have found to work with your body. I get stuck in a rut with my food choices pretty often as well. Changing it up is fun though! I would LOVE some new HEAB recipes ;)

joelygolightly July 24, 2009 at 12:25 am

Lance all the way!!

Oh, I definitely understand the whole eating your favorite foods over and over again. I always get into those cycles when I discover a new fav, as we’ve talked about. (I am still on my sweet potato kick!) Always good to spice it up though.

Looks like you’re enjoying CO– gotta love the west coast! :)

Jess July 24, 2009 at 1:21 am

I unfortunately am still working on liking peppers but I’ve often said that I could eat sauteed mushrooms and onions for DAYS. I love them madly. That dinner looks lovely just as it is.

Is it weird that I have a fear of eating frozen cherries? It makes me think of gnawing on ice cubes. I’ll have to give in soon so I can try that gorgeous breakfast of yours, though.

Stephanie July 24, 2009 at 6:10 am

Ahhhhhh!!!! Other people who follow the tour!! I thought I was the only one. :-)

Contador for sure. He is too far ahead of anyone else. 4 minutes?? Might as well be an eternity. Contador is also arguably the best climber in the tour and that will come in handy for the last mountain stage on Saturday. I think Lance will get a podium spot but whether it is in 2nd or 3rd remains to be seen. This has been a great year though

Carolyn July 24, 2009 at 8:12 am

Now you have me addicted to the Vitamix, the spiralizer, and an avacado every day…and you go all regular food??? Haha… Have fun…you are on vacation… If it gets too bad Jay Robb and i will drive over and we will do an intervention…

Personally if i could find a way to incorportate my pumpkin blueberry smoothie with the avacado toast i am addicted to… and make it into a dish i could eat just ONE thing all the time lately…instead of two…But i am in a pretty repetitive meal cycle at the moment..It’s all good…

(i like that sweet potato for dessert thing…and FF blue cheese on turkey burgers for lunch for me today!)

Devan Geselle Newman July 24, 2009 at 12:47 pm

your oats look awesome!
I love pairing coconut, blueberries, and dark chocolate!! You should try! The taste is amazing :) Comforting! and delicious!!

Your hemp salad in the above post looks wicked! I must try!

Love your blog by the way :)
xx

Maggie July 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I liked your topping!!

I think mixing it up is great. You’re off to a fab start :) I want your dinner :D

Gena (Choosing Raw) July 25, 2009 at 8:55 am

You know I love me some yams for dessert :)