What Does CD Eat in Colorado?

by HEAB on July 27, 2009

Apparently, everything but my ice-cream. ;)

CD was kind enough let me share with you a day in the life of CD from The Uniblogger Cabin.

All of these eats are from yesterday (Sunday).  The day began at 6 AM with a little work, some online reading/emailing, and a bowl of oatmeal.  CD works in finance, and is able to do his job from here as long as we have an Internet connection.

Old fashioned oats cooked in water with an apple and sunflower seed butter.

Old fashioned oats cooked in water with an apple and sunflower seed butter.

After breakfast digested, CD hit the hilly country roads for a 14 mile workout (2 mile warm-up and cool down, 12 miles at a 6:30 pace at 8,000 ft. altitude in very windy conditions I might add) and then came home to a well-deserved breakfast #2:

4 eggs scrambled with 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/2 large baked sweet potato, and topped with Parm.

4 eggs scrambled with 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 large baked sweet potato, topped with Parm.

Several hours later, it was time for lunch:

The boy gives new meaning to the Hugh Jass salad.

The boy gives new meaning to the Hugh Jass salad.

This monster of a veggie plate contained:

• 1 Head chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 Chopped carrots
  • Sugar Snap Peas
  • Mushrooms
  • 1/4 Large chopped cucumber
  • Handful grape tomatoes
  • 1 Tin of smoked oytsers
  • Topped with Parm and CD’s new favorite salad dressing (Sabra original hummus diluted with water)

Snack time:

Self-explanatory

Self-explanatory

We then ate dinner around 7 PM.  The kitchen here is relatively small, but we both managed to prepare our own dinners together.  Love cooking in the kitchen with my hubby! CD chopped 2 onions, 2 carrots, and two 8 ounce containers of mushrooms.

Pre-sauteed

Pre-sauteed

He then cooked his skillet full of veggies with 1/4 lb lean ground beef and topped it off with some sunflower seed butter Marinutta Sauce and…more Parm.

CD's Favorite Dinner

CD's Favorite Dinner

In case you’re wondering, I had a salad:

CD and I consume a lot of produce.

The HEAB household consumes a lot of produce.

My dinner consisted of:

• 1 head of romaine lettuce
  • Several handfuls of raw spinach massaged with 1/2 avocado, lemon juice and stevia
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Chopped cucumber
  • Raw corn
  • Blue tortilla chips
  • Roasted broccoli

Since I refused to share my dessert (Hehe…sorry!), Chris decided on a late night smoothie instead:

See, I'm not the only Vita-Mix lovah in the house!

See, I'm not the only Vita-Mix lovah in the house!

Into the blender went water, frozen strawberries, 1/2 frozen banana, and 1 scoop NOW vanilla whey protein powder.

That’s it – another day in the life of CD. In writing this post, I have come to several conclusions which leads us to…

Heather’s random comment(s) of the day:

• Without a Costco close by, CD and I have spent way too much money on produce here in Colorado.  Seriously, EVERYONE that eats vegetables should belong to Costco!  Well, even non-veggie eaters should join…what are you waiting for?
  • I think CD might like Parmesan cheese even more than Maggie. :)
  • It is not fair that my husband can consume this much food on a regular basis and weigh the same as me. OK, OK, so he weighs less than me. Love you anyway CD.

Marycela July 27, 2009 at 8:24 pm

lol, thank you both Heather and CD for sharing.

Marycela July 27, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Oh and I’m lol-ing about the random comments section, especially the Costco one.

Mandy A July 27, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I’m telling you.. men and their metabolisms… TOTALLY not fair!!!

So you guys think it’s totally worth the membership to costco?? It’s much further out for us than sam’s… but i definitely do not want to have a membership to sams…

runeatrepeat July 27, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, Ben can eat 37x what I eat even though he’s only 2x bigger. What the heck?

JB July 27, 2009 at 9:09 pm

i always love the random comments at the end of your posts. and your hubby can really eat! and work out! 14 miles…wow! and i think it’s so cute that he had an oatmeal concoction for his first breakfast. i need to find a boyfriend who will eat oatmeal and nut butter with me in the mornings!

by the way, i had a sweet potato with miso paste tonight (my second time trying it after getting the idea from you!) and it was scrum-diddly-umptious once again! but…OBVIOUSLY!

-JB

Katharina July 27, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Giiirl, you’re making me hungry!!!

roseyrebecca July 27, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Mmm the late night smoothie looks yummy!! I love the random comments section at the end of your posts!! They’re so funny! All of CD’s eats look incredible!!

Linda July 27, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Oh what a great post Heather! Love all the food pictures…everything looks simply dilicious! Glad you are having such a wonderful time :D

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 27, 2009 at 9:18 pm

He eats SO well. How wonderful for you! It’s SO hard to get my husband to eat well. Lucky woman. :)

Alison July 27, 2009 at 9:27 pm

What an interesting egg concoction! I’d never have thought of coconut milk and sweet potatoes with scrambled eggs. Sounds great.

Maggie July 27, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Wowza. I miss parmesan :( :( Whyyyyy does it make my stomach bloat :( I’ve tried 2 different vegan parms and they both stink.

I like the eggs + sp idea. Might have to try that if I feel like miscombining sometime soon.

I had the coconut kefir last night – AMAZINGGGGG!

Deb July 27, 2009 at 9:52 pm

OK, I guess I need to be grateful that I don’t still weigh over 200 pounds. I would seriously crash and burn if I ate as little as he does for the amount of exercise he does. Really, it’s no wonder he’s slim!!!!

homecookedem July 27, 2009 at 9:53 pm

He eats way better than any male I know!! I wish I could get Andrew to enjoy eating the same foods as me!!!

I think the fact that he runs an insanely fast 14 miles might have something to do with him being able to eat so much… he is amazing!!

buffmuffy July 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm

ooo that strawberry banana smoothie looks amazing!!!
-muffy

organicashley July 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Well he did run 12 miles in high altitudes and well he’s male. (thats probably why he weighs less than you. haha) but who wants to be super thin anyways.
Oh and I am totally getting a costco membership after seeing what you can do with it.

michelle July 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm

boo for boys that can eat like crazy, my husband can eat whatever he wants and he doesnt take advantage of it like i would:)

organicashley July 27, 2009 at 10:06 pm

oh and i agree with homecookedem I could never I repeat never get my Chris to eat that way unless he had no other choice. The other option being starving to death.

Chloe July 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm

IF only I could get my boyfriend to eat that well. I’m lucky if he eats veggies during the day. The man subsists on fruit, peanut butter, and tortillas. And also weighs less than me. Oh, men.

Thanks for sharing. I’m jealous of your cabin away from it all – what a nice break!

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm

This was fun! I’m always perplexed how my hubby can eat SOOOOO much yet be so skinny…

Enjoy Colorado! :)

amanda @ Panda Lunch July 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I wish my husband would try even half of that stuff, that’s so cool that he eats healthy with you. I’m working on mine, it’s slow going though. BTW, after reading one of your last posts, I made ABU, wow! I can’t believe I’m just now finding out about this stuff, what a great idea! I made it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, so good!

charlotte July 27, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Your third random comment is the story of my life!! And I love CDs veggie plate – mmmm!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Danged, your man eats good! He can come cook at my house ANYTIME. The girls may or may not share their ice cream.

bibixs July 28, 2009 at 12:11 am

It’s not like “he’s so lucky, he’s got a fast metabolism and can eat a ton”, it’s more like “he ran 12 miles at a 6:30 pace, he NEEDS to eat!”
hahaha

WholeBodyLove July 28, 2009 at 12:30 am

Fun post! What a nice change of pace! I wish I could teach my significant other to ” Eat Like CD”!

balancejoyanddelicias July 28, 2009 at 3:29 am

oh…that egg scramble looks delicious! How had egg scramble last night and it was soo good that I wonder how I forgot to have such easy meals… :)

~Jessica~ July 28, 2009 at 4:13 am

He doesn’t eat that much for a guy at all! Especially with that incredible run (14 miles at altitude=running GOD)

I wish I had a guy who ate like that (well, a guy at all would be a nice start!)

Don’t be so down on yourself, though: it must be tough having a slender (and he must be ultra-slim if he weighs less than you!) partner who runs such incredible distances but try not to compare yourself negatively to him: I bet he can’t do half the amazing yoga poses you can!

Erica July 28, 2009 at 5:01 am

Great eats CD! I would say that second breakfast was beyond deserved after such a kick butt workout! Heather- I feel the same way. Josh can really house some food.

ttfn300 July 28, 2009 at 5:03 am

i agree about costco and produce… i just wish i got there more :) or wait, no i don’t… i get too much food for one person :)

Carolyn July 28, 2009 at 5:30 am

…I want to have CD’s favorite dinner for MY dinner!!!….that one looked really good…and his lunch salad…omgosh.. but there are not enough miles to walk that would keep that from settling in the wrong places on me…so hey avocado toast and broccoli pasta it is!

Luckily my Paul will eat, try and love anything i pack up and send in to the office with him…as long as i tell him it’s good for him… and thinks Amazing Meal with water only tastes great :-( …But alas he won’t get in the kitchen and cook, yet… But he does read this blog so it was a VERY good post…thanks!

…have a fun day… enjoy that big sky…

livingfreeforever July 28, 2009 at 5:39 am

Man, with all that running–that boy can out away some food!!! I bet food for him alone cost and arm and a leg:) He eats really healthy which is cool:) My hubby is all for the SAD. Who knows, maybe he’ll get it one of these days:)
Have a great day!
XOXO

livingfreeforever July 28, 2009 at 5:40 am

That was supposed to say–PUT away some food!!! Spelling errors drive me bananas:)

psychoj1 July 28, 2009 at 5:44 am

Haha love this post! I think it’s so cool how he’s into food like you are, minus the broccoli oats though ;)
Hope you continue to have fun in the mountains!!
<3 jess

VeggieGirl July 28, 2009 at 6:00 am

Love CD’s (and yours, Heather!!) tastes!! :-D

veganfritz July 28, 2009 at 6:14 am

Nice w/o. Hittin’ some good turnover @ altitude, what a phenom.

Jess July 28, 2009 at 6:22 am

He eats so healthy – if only my hubs would eat that healthy! :)

Shelby July 28, 2009 at 6:30 am

I always get so jealoud of guys who can eat that much…like my older brother. For lunch everyday he would have a huge salad (with GOBS of ranch dressing), a box of macaroni and cheese, and a whole pizza. It was so unfair!

Must. Try. Sunflower Seed Butter!

Mmm and that scramble sounds yummy! Coconut milk and sweet potatoes? Yes please!

I really need to get my butt to Costco!

Susan July 28, 2009 at 6:44 am

I think all of his eats look super tasty!! I’m especially eyeing that salad with the smoked oysters ;) I have a question, did you and CD start running together back in the day, or is it something one of you got into first? Just general curiousity I guess. My Chris is a hardcore cyclist, has been since a kid. He’s 100% responsible for getting me into road biking, and now I’ve completely caught the cycling bug!

hayleycepeda July 28, 2009 at 6:46 am

I guess if you’re running 14 miles in one day (12 of those being a 6:30 pace!!) you probably need a lot of fuel to keep the engine going! At least it’s all healthy! You both eat very well…and you’re beautiful so no need to worry about anything. Not that you were. :) What does it mean to massage a salad?

Metta July 28, 2009 at 6:47 am

His dinner is huge – I think he needs a bigger plate. I love seeing how healthy he eats. It is a wonderful reminder that men can be healthy eaters too.

Jenn (eating bender) July 28, 2009 at 7:36 am

I love you and CD so much :) Although you’re spending more on produce than you may like, I’m glad that you are enjoying such great eats! I’ve been getting my avocados from Costco – what a great deal.

CD eats very well! Gotta love Parm. Colorado sounds like such a gorgeous place. Can you believe I’ve never been there? I really want to take a trip there in the winter and go skiing.

So I think I’m going to be in Arizona over Labor Day weekend :( This makes me both happy and sad – obviously, I am happy about seeing my family but sad about not being able to see you. I will definitely catch up with you both in AZ over Christmas, though. I’m excited to see what you end up doing here in the Chi.

Miss you, Heather! We should catch up sometime soon.

CaSaundra July 28, 2009 at 7:42 am

It’s not fair that guys can eat SO much and nothing sticks–grr!

Whit July 28, 2009 at 7:43 am

haha, that last comment made me laugh. Love ya, HEAB!

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) July 28, 2009 at 8:40 am

damn those skinny running boys who could eat friggin’ swedish gain weight bars and still not gain weight, right?

i’m loving his food (almost as much as yours) – i love a good pink smoothie, a hugh jass and coconut sweet potato eggs – i MUST try that! yay for vacay with the mcd’s – keep on enjoying :)

kaneil July 28, 2009 at 8:43 am

such a fun post! I’m thinking the AB fairy may pay a visit to our meet-up. Just sayin!

Hope you’re enjoying the mountains full of crazy weather!

Kaneil, balanceisbest.wordpress.com

missyrayn July 28, 2009 at 8:50 am

Holy Vegetables Batman! I’m envious of all those veggies. That’s the majority of Hunni and my grocery bill. We buy as much as possible at BJ’s and the local veggie mart to keep the bill down but it’s still big.

Cindy July 28, 2009 at 8:54 am

Nice eats CD!!!

and We also are more and more amazed at not only the amount of produce (mostly I ) eat but at how pricey it is! JEEZ at first I thought these changes would save us $$$

we too LIVE at Costco and laugh at our produce runs! (it used to be just for diapers, OR DVD’s)

Costco, Sprouts and Trader Joe’s….couldn’t live without em!

another pretty smoothie too! Mine are almost GREEN…unless it’s dryer lint!

Have a great day in Co!

ksgoodeats July 28, 2009 at 10:08 am

Woah CD! That’s a great run!! Impressive :) PS. Could I have your metabolism? Everything looks delicious!

polly July 28, 2009 at 10:47 am

CD is a ROCK STAR. :D

That makes Heabs a cutest groupie who snagged the star!! Way to go, Heabs!!!! hehehehe

Seriously, CD eats so amazingly healthy! I really don’t think he eats that much, honestly!! and Heather Pie… you GO JUSS!!! Perfect and beautiful and keep feeding your man and your self so stinking delish and healthy…. no wonder you two are ADORABLE. :) Inside and out. Massive hugs. and yes…. real men eat OATMEAL for breakfast. CD and Dan… we got ourselves some keepers. ;) XOXO

nicolegodiva July 28, 2009 at 10:58 am

How can he eat that much!! Craziness!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 28, 2009 at 11:01 am

Hmm, I think I have done that dressing trick myself! Diluting Sabra hummus, that is. It made a delicious asian dressing when diluted with water AND PB2! Maybe you could lend him some AB/PBU for mixing purposes? It’s the least you can do if you’re not going to share dessert, right? ;)

Marissa July 28, 2009 at 11:19 am

CD and I eat Salads of a similar caliber ;-)

Melissa S. July 28, 2009 at 11:37 am

i think most girls are jealous of how boys eat…brad pushed through huge jars of pb a week…and can eat as much sweets/chocolate he wants. jealousy…

Holly July 28, 2009 at 11:51 am

You two are both so adorable! I love how you both cook together, even though you have different meals.

Sigh…silly men and their monster metabolisms. But, hey – we have the longer life expectancy, so I guess that’s a fair trade? ;-)

Emily July 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Holy cow can CD eat! Sounds like he is a crazy runner, though, so I totally understand. :-) You guys do eat a lot of produce, and I’m sure you make your Costco membership well worth it! It’s so great that you can both eat healthily together and care about investing in your health through nutrition. :-)

Justine July 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Damn, that’s a lot of mushrooms!!! CD, the grocery bill is obviously not all Heatherpie!! hehe. Hope you two are having an awesome time together!!

~Justine

Heather (be well & take care) July 28, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Has CD always been such a healthier eater, or did you have something to do with it? I love that his concoctions are just as fun and unique as yours.

My dude can eat 5x the amount of food that I do and never gain a pound. Not fair at ALL.

Also, that run? Pretty amazing. Go CD!

RunToFinish July 28, 2009 at 9:30 pm

holy cow that’s a massive amount of food.. I’m not sure my body would even accept those quantities of fruits and veggies…or at least I know where I would be spending sometime after digestion

Lara (Thinspired) July 29, 2009 at 4:57 am

I am so impressed with CD’s diet and crazy exercise! I am sending this post to my hubby ;) And I completely agree with your Costco sentiments. We used to go there bi-weekly and now are almost going once a week. Oddly enough, that coincides with my juicer purchase ;) Thanks for sharing a day in the life of CD eats!

krissa July 29, 2009 at 7:18 am

Wow. I am very impressed by his speed. That is amazing. He rocks.

{ 1 trackback }