Musical Jars

by HEAB on July 31, 2009

Hey kiddos,

After our little lightning incident, the kind folks at apple had a new Macbook power cord shipped to me in 24 hours, but we still don’t have Internet access at the house.  Then, my cell phone decided to die, and my charger broke.  I am totally out of touch with everyone.  Yesterday, it was lovely. However, today, I was going a little crazy and drove into town to reconnect with the world. So, here I sit:

From Uniblogger to Boulevard Blogger. ;)

From Uniblogger to Boulevard Blogger. ;)

Also while in town, I thought I’d pick up some more HEAB breakfast supplies here:

IMG_2928Only kidding my friends, although, not too long ago, someone did refer to my breakfast as horse feed. ;)

Our time in Colorado has been amazing thus far.  I love spending 24/7 with CD, and it is so peaceful with nothing but amazing mountain views.  I continue to take long walks everyday, usually with the pups.  Yoga has been a part of my daily life as well.  Whether it be a little Peanut Butter Flow or YogaDownload, I’ve come to realize that I love doing 30 to 45 minutes of at-home yoga.  For anything longer, I prefer a studio environment.  I did find a community center in town that offers 90 minute yoga classes 3 days a week.  Yesterday, I joined my fellow Westcliffers for some Sun Salutations and a few Down Dogs.  It felt great, and I was the only one in the room under 50 years of age.  Those ladies were flexible and strong…very impressive and totally inspiring.  I WILL be doing yoga 30 years from now…I will!

What have I been eating you ask?  Why, oat bran in a jar of course!

Yes, I broke down and bought some $11 almond butter...CD needs his almond butter Marinutta my friends. :)

Yes, I broke down and bought the $11 almond butter...CD prefers AB in his Marinutta Sauce.

Every time we finish off a jar of nut butter, I run the jar through the dishwasher to use for future batches of homemade nut butter. Our collection keeps growing, and every morning, I dump nut butter from jar to jar and then fill one of them with oats, making sure to spread plenty of nut butter all over the sides as well as the bottom of the jar.  So fun to scrape it clean with my spoon! This morning’s jar contained PBU at the bottom (& swirled all over the sides), oat bran mixed with 1 scoop of Sun Warrior chocolate rice protein powder, and one heaping spoonful of almond butter served as my cherry on top.  Trust me, you have not lived until you’ve tried oats in a jar!

So, not much in my life has changed.  Still walking, still yogaing, still eating oats and almond butter, and still obsessing over Alexi Murdoch.

Wishing all of you a happy Friday and weekend!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 31, 2009 at 2:59 pm

You mean there’s officially no more chance of me possibly running into VeggieGirl in NYC while she’s possibly on the phone with you? Say it isn’t so!!!

The oat bran in a jar is officially genius–I was converted last week. :)

JB July 31, 2009 at 3:09 pm

i agree about oats in a jar. everyone needs to give it a try! and alexi murdoch is wonderful. i love “all my days.”

Susan July 31, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Ha, I was going to scold you for cheating by rubbing down clean jars with AB for your oats… but I guess I can’t since you invented it!!! :P Hoping technology get back on your side soon!

veganfritz July 31, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Alexi Murdoch has such a great vocal texture.

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 31, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Your time in Colorado sounds so nice… Enjoy! :)

livingfreeforever July 31, 2009 at 3:37 pm

How cool that you were able to find a place to reconnect with the ‘outside’ world AND a place to do Yoga!! I only have two more Hot Yoga classes so I have been looking for somewhere a bit closer to home to continue my ‘classroom’ practice. I have SO LOVED taking a class. I have learned more than I thought possible:) Have a GREAT weekend!
XOXO

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) July 31, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I definitely need to try oats in a jar. I eat oatmeal every day with peanut butter so I don’t have an excuse!

Glad to see that someone else saves their peanut butter jars, my boyfriend thinks I’m crazy but I use them for everything!

Maria July 31, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I find that I enjoy longer yoga sessions at classes too. I just can’t do it that long at home!

Hehe, should’ve known you would break down on that jar of AB ;)

Rosey Rebecca July 31, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE Yoga! I find it hard to get into videos though. I’d rather take a class with other people! It motivates me more!

Cindy July 31, 2009 at 3:55 pm

what great times you are having! Slowing down is so good for the soul!

I’ve been doing more and more yoga too, esp on weekends! Feels SO good on the hamstrings.

What crazy techno issues you are having!
Is mercury in retrograde???? hahaha

happy Friday!

Pam (Highway to Health) July 31, 2009 at 4:01 pm

What a great idea to reuse the the nut butter jars so that you can have oats in a jar whenever you want. I’m going start keeping my jars now!

Shelby July 31, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I totally agree, oat bran in a jar is amazing!!! I love how you have so many AB jars. I keep all of mine too!

Erica July 31, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Hooray for the free curbside internet! As I said in response to your last post- we couldn’t live without our HEAB! How is the yoga instructor out there? Any good? Mara Natha AB? YUMMMMMMMMMM

Brandi July 31, 2009 at 6:36 pm

i love that you shift nut butter around to have your “jars” for breakfast :)

i hope you two have a great weekend!

Averie July 31, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Yay for yoga! Enjoy your sun salutations. And some of the most intimidating yoga moments I ever had were when I first moved to California and in my mid 20s had a daily ashtanga-in-studio-yoga-practice for 2 hours from 7-9am. Anyway, the regulars were all ages but at least half were over 40-45, and plenty over I’d say 55. In some ways I actually felt like a clueless punk standing next to these people who’d been practicing since before I was born. So yes, yoga is lifelong my friend.

And as for Sun Warrior…I have never tried it. But I really dig Jay Robb vanilla and based on your review, never ordered Sun Warrior Vanilla. But how’s the chocolate Sun Warrior, worth $50 bucks to order it…yikes?

psychoj1 July 31, 2009 at 8:36 pm

YAY for yoga. I love seeing older people doing it. Makes me so happy!
Mmm oats in a jar. Nothing better!
<3 jess

Deb July 31, 2009 at 9:48 pm

So your best friend called you a HORSE!! Oh my!! :-D

OK, today’s stupid question: Is the attraction to oats-in-a-jar the fact that you end up getting lots more of the nut butter all over the oats? I always scrape every millimeter of the jar as I work my way down it so there wouldn’t be a whole heck of a lot to absorb on my oats?!?!!!

Amanda July 31, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I’ll definitely be trying the oats in a jar soon, as I found that oat groats are gluten free, and they are my current obsession now! LoL I can’t wait for the almond butter jar to get low enough to try it!! I have also recently turned into a jar hoarder, I wash and save most of the jars that stuff comes in I’ve found so many uses for them, like storing stuff I get from the bulk bins.

Lara (Thinspired) August 1, 2009 at 3:15 am

Oh Heather, your Musical Jars kills me because we JUST finished a jar of Nutella this morning and we threw it away!! Can you imagine Nutella-infused oats?! What was I thinking?

The Courtyard Inn looks charming indeed, I need a place like that to start making my internet time more valuable! I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay (how long are you staying?)!

missyrayn August 1, 2009 at 4:44 am

It seems like your electronics want you to enjoy your vacation a bit more and give you a break :-)

I love yoga with older people. One class I went to was like that and I was amazed. I reminded me of the amazing way yoga treats your body. I can’t get enough now.

CaSaundra August 1, 2009 at 7:35 am

So glad your having such a fun time–the area looks beyond beautiful!
Btw, I probably would have caved and spent the $11 too!

Juicy Jessy August 1, 2009 at 7:42 am

I bought my very first jar of almond butter just last week :-) so i’m gonna have to wait a while before i can eat my oats in it :-) but i’m definately gonna give it a try!!!

She-Fit August 1, 2009 at 11:54 am

I’ve never tried oats in a jar… must try ;)

Laura August 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Hey HEAB !

Just wanted to wish you some good, relaxing vacations (i know i’m a bit late for that !)
Your pictures make me so jealous! Such an amaaaazing view from the house, it must definitely inspire you to do some yoga!

Oh, you know i wish i had the option of classes… never did 90 min of yoga altogether :( it seems so difficult at home and doing it alone..

Well, some interesting adventures you are having there with all those lightning strikes and storms, hm?

Hope you’re enjoying the weekend!

Oh! I’ve been experimenting with the oats too. I think i’m on the right track – they’re getting betteeer ;)

Kristen August 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Orange Sky, by Alexi Murdoch is one of my all time favorite songs. It’s gorgeous!

justine August 1, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Wanna here the craziest thing ever??? I ran into your brother last night at Whole Foods!! It was so weird. I cant believe he recognized me. So wild. I was a little tipsy so I hope he didn’t think I was wacky :) . I can totally tell you two are related. Hes a cutie :) .

Love Ya,
Justine

P.S. Call me when you get your shizzz fixed!!

mrsalley August 1, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Just wanted to say how much I adore your blog. I’m a long time reader and just started my own little blog as I hope to be more “intuitive” in how I approach food. You are such as inspiration!

Alison August 1, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for the Alexi link. I love finding new groups/singers. I’m listening to a preview of his album on Amazone now. Sounds good!

yogiclarebear August 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm

now that is a great sign, LOL!

Tiffany S. August 1, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Whew – I just finished catching up on your whole blog over a hot Seattle weekend. I think I like what you’re eating now best. I will definitely have to try the oat groats although I’m full-time dedicated to my Fat Flush shake for breakfast every morning (frozen berries, whey protein, Vitamin C powder, ground flax seed and flax oil, and now….spinach!). I’ve had the same breakfast for the last 2.5 years! Anyway, I’ll fit the AB in somewhere! Just got through my second round of Yoga for Real People so your blog continues to inspire…enjoy the rest of your trip – can’t wait to read all about it!

Tiff

glidingcalm August 1, 2009 at 11:33 pm

im craving nut butters.

that curbside sign is hilarious!!!

Holly August 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

I’m just using up my AB like a good girl so I, too, can try oats in a jar. It’s my responsibility…right??

Of course you’ll be doing yoga in 30 years – 50 years, even!!

Weight Control Help & Strategies August 2, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Hmm, the bananas and oats sound and look good. Especially for a runner like myself.

Jill August 2, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Heather,

Colorado is beautiful!! I cannot believe you are there for 6 weeks!! Amazing!! And, you, are one beautiful, toned, flexible lady…my friend. I can only wish to be able to hold my leg like yours…wow!! Also amazing.

Have a fun time on your time away from TN.

Marissa August 3, 2009 at 9:58 am

I have a bit of a jar obsession. I adore my big wide mouthed Mason Jars. I fill them up with soup, nuts, leftovers..etc. There is also nothing more satisfying than emptying a jar of nut butter and having a fresh jar for other uses ;-)
I am a weirdo.

dewtakeflight August 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I LOVE breakfast. In fact I go to bed excited about it every morning. Oatbran is really delicious. I like to cook half serving oatbran and half serving regular oatmeal (not instant kind) for a blended texture. Also soaking it overnight makes a really delicious cool summer breakfast! This morning I had oatbran/meal in an (almost) used up peanut butter jar and I realized something…ever since I began eating more almond butter I can’t handle peanut butter anymore! I’m a total convert :) .

dewtakeflight August 5, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I also love Alexi Murdoch! He’s Scottish you know :) . I’m studying in Scotland starting in September for a year..I’ll be sure to bring his music along with me and think of you!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 1, 2010 at 1:12 am

I’ve never played musical jars….never even thought about it> Now that I know how the game is played, I will definitely try it out. However my jars are medium sizes…hmmm, could be dangerous. To fill or to not fill it up all the way to the top. j/k

Thanks for this idea. You never fail Heather in giving us cool tips.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 1, 2010 at 1:15 am

Hmm…the comment above was meant for the post today 8/30/10. So weird, I don’t know how I got to his post in 2009.

It has been a long night studying…forgive me. I must have posted on a link and thought I was commenting on today’s post.

HEAB September 1, 2010 at 8:52 am

Lea,
Haha – no worries, just happy you commented. Yes, musical jars is the best game…and I say fill those jars to the top! You need the extra brain fuel for all that studying. :)

{ 6 trackbacks }