A Simple Sunday

by HEAB on August 2, 2009

This morning I woke up and did some deck yoga…

IMG_2934Next up was an hour long walk on the country roads with the pups.  The weather here in Colorado is absolutely glorious today, and I think I could have walked forever…but Einstein and Radley were done after about 3 miles. :)

For breakfast, I went back to the basics.

IMG_2938Ever since arriving in the mountains, I can’t seem to satiate my hunger throughout the day.  So, this morning, I cooked 1 cup dry oat bran (2 cups cooked) instead of my usual 1/2 or 3/4 cup.  My only other ingredient was a banana on top…peeled the correct way of course. :)

Sometimes, you just need a bigger breakfast, and sometimes the simple bowls taste just right.  If you’re hungry, eat my friends.  What is the fun in starving yourself all day? I used to skip breakfast, saving all  my calories for a huge dinner followed by a dessert and then go to bed feeling disgusting.  So not worth it!  I don’t fear breakfast anymore.  In fact, I think it’s my favorite meal of the day.

How about you?  Which do you look forward to the most: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

homecookedem August 2, 2009 at 11:04 am

Hey Heather! You should look at Cookie Dough Disciple’s post today! It is similar to what you brought up about eating more throughout the day so you don’t overeat in the evenings. Her link is on my blogroll if you don’t already know it… she’s super sweet too! ;)

What a gorgeous picture and the scenery isn’t too bad either!! Your arms are fabulous!!

Lara August 2, 2009 at 11:28 am

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I am always hungry for it when I wake up. Can’t imagine skipping it. I have found that if I eat bigger meals in the AM I eat less overall during the day.

Erica August 2, 2009 at 11:39 am

What a beautiful picture of you! You look SO strong- I love it ;) Hmmmm I really like a lunch packed full of veggies and protein

Shelby August 2, 2009 at 11:39 am

Breakfast is my FAVORITE meal of the day!!! I go to sleep peacefully knowing that something delicious is waiting for me in the morning. I can’t believe I used to skip it and can’t imagine missing it now!

Going with having bigger breakfasts…I had about 1/2 cup Oatgurt this morning and wasn’t satisfied..so I went back for more and was perfectly content. I agree, sometimes you just need more food!

Lori August 2, 2009 at 11:50 am

I can’t imagine how so many people skip breakfast. It is definitely my favorite meal of the day!!

Holly August 2, 2009 at 11:52 am

Heather! Great minds DO think alike!!

I have to say, reading your blog has really helped me with my new way of thinking. It felt so unnatural to eat so much more (than I was used to) during the day, but you hit the nail on the head – there is NO fun in starving yourself during the day. I’m much happier at work, and not ready to tear any heads off by the time I get home. So as cheeeesy as this sounds, thanks for being my “breakfast inspiration.” :-) Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day! Okay, won’t lie – this girl still loves a little after dinner snack, too.

You look gorgeous doing your deck yoga – and so does Colorado! Hope life is treating you well out there and you’re enjoying the fresh mountain air.

Graze With Me August 2, 2009 at 11:54 am

Breakfast! Definitely. I love being able to stuff myself silly and feel good all day long because of it! No so with big dinners, whenever I eat a large dinner I feel like crap and go to bed with a bloated tummy – not fun!

Enjoy this beautiful Colorado Sunday!

JB August 2, 2009 at 12:01 pm

breakfast is my favorite! it sets the mood for the whole day! and i agree, when we need to eat, we need to it. i’m on a weight-gain diet right now, so when i eat a lot i have to tell myself that this is what i’m SUPPOSED to be doing. it feels weird purposely trying to pack in as many calories as possible, but i know that my body needs it. we’ve got to listen to ourselves! and i’m SO jealous of your on deck yoga session. you’re in such a beautiful place!

VeggieGirl August 2, 2009 at 12:11 pm

STUNNING photo of you doing yoga, dear Heather!!

Miss you!! Call when you can xx

bibixs August 2, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day as well :)

Emily August 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day – it makes me love mornings and new starts. :)

I’m jealous of your yoga views – so amazing. Enjoy!

nicole h August 2, 2009 at 12:32 pm

wow your yoga view is gorgeous, totally jealous! yummy oarbran toally agree with your big brekkie point of view.

Maria August 2, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I usually look forward to breakfast as well, especially if I have a bowl of oats on the menu :)

Great yoga form you got there, Heather!

Averie August 2, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Heather your uttitha hasta padungustasana looks great! What a lovely backdrop for yoga…the vast openness of CO. Lucky girl!

I used to look forward to brunch-ish food because that’s when my daughter used to nap and I could eat and zone out. Now she naps later and so that’s the meal I savor the most: the one where she’s not jumping on me or signing her fave hits from Barney. It’s all about peaceful, quiet eating for me.

Mandy Unruh August 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Ahhh, yes. I still struggle with the “saving calories” for the end of the day, which is usually when feelings come up for me. Especially when I’m stressed. I try to have compassion for that part of me that wants to feel “full” at night but try to make sure I eat little meals that are balanced and nutritious during the day.

I think this may be a lifelong process for me!

xoxo

Carolyn August 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Breakfast time just can’t be beat…I swaer i could just eat my entire day of food for breakfast some days…

I always eat most of my food prior to about 2-3 pm…When we are meeting friends to go “out to eat” i really work it hard to make that “eat” lunch rather than a 7pm+ dinner…I am hungry mid day for sure…Not so much later… And honestly i’m not real good at delayed gradification so those “out to dinner” days i ususally eat too much for that day, just to be politically correct, once we DO go out to that 7 pm dinner..

Heather that picture is borderline torture :-) for the rest of us, back in reality… it’s so beautiful out there… If you ever plan to publish a book that is the type of cover shot you need… middle of no where, you and your yoga mat, mountains in the background…

My mom would have said you are so hungry there because of “all that fresh air”

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 2, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Love the yoga picture… :)

I never liked eating breakfast growing up, and my dad supported me in my wish not to eat anything as he said he never ate breakfast either when he was young. However, once I got older, I really started to appreciate a good breakfast. And now, I eat whatever I feel like for breakfast, which quite often turns out to be not a conventional “breakfast food.” So I would have to say breakfast has become my favorite meal! Quite shocking… ;)

Enjoy your time in beautiful Colorado!

Allison August 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm

what a beautiful view outside!

justine August 2, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Breakfast for sure my beautiful HEABS!!!! Glad the weather is good and you are getting in lots of long walks. I have been peeled to the couch all Saturday and all day today!!! Help!! I cant get my tush up!!

Love You,
Justine

psychoj1 August 2, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Breakfast by far! It’s probably the biggest meal of my day and that’s just how I like it :D

I love that pose you are doing in the pic! I just got the hang of it like a few weeks ago!
<3 jess
xoxo

Faith August 2, 2009 at 3:11 pm

i used to love breakfast when i could sit and actually enjoy it, i hate that i have to suck my monster down while i work :( i still think it’s my favorite though :) i hate dinner bc i so often eat it alone, i’m working on that.

anyway, were your ears burning today? a wonderful person and i were talking about how AWESOME YOU ARE!!!!

when do you come back, i miss thee, i want to go on cell phone walks with you :)

i think that sidewalk sign cracks me up. if u need a nut butter shipment let me know, i shall oblige. i remember being in romania with no nut butter in site!!! *hugs*

Abby August 2, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Even though I have to bring it to work with me, I can’t imagine not eating breakfast. (Actually, I can’t imagine skipping a meal at all during the day.)It sounds crazy, but sometimes breakfast is my motivation for getting up in the morning–even thought it’s just oatmeal with soymilk and fruit.

Mornings are a chance to start over, start fresh, and a filling, healthy breakfast is the best way to begin!

Susan August 2, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Dude, you’re totally more hungry from wandering in the mountains all day!!! Maybe the change in activity has stirred up your appetite? Or maybe it’s just the mountain air…(ie altitiude :P ) LOVE that picture of you yoga-ing at the top. And yes, back-to-basics oatbran is amazing sometimes. That’s actually how I eat it out of my jars. Straight up oats, in the jar. Nothin’ else :)

jessica August 2, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Breakfast or dessert!!! Since the two usually involve some type of nut butter! :)

Kristen August 2, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Umm, I look forward to whatever meal is next! :-) I think the length between dinner and breakfast makes my breakfast anticipation high…sometimes I even go to sleep thinking about breakfast! Sigh!

Lainie August 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm

You’re so pretty – what a gorgeous picture of you doing yoga! Are you in Colorado right now? As for which meal I look forward to…well…probably all of them, ha :) I’m honestly usually really hungry for every meal I eat, making each one feel like it’s the best thing ever.

veganfritz August 2, 2009 at 4:28 pm

what!? that’s how simian primates open bananas then, eh? I never knew that…

Metta August 2, 2009 at 4:35 pm

You are a yoga goddess; those arms are fab!

I love breakfast, never could understand why people skip it. I look forward most to dinner (and dessert :) ). That’s the meal that I switch up most often, and keep it pretty simple for breakfast and lunch.

Jess August 2, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I look forward to breakfast – I love the basics in the morning that set the tone for the whole day!

livingfreeforever August 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm

AWESOME Yoga pose ya got goin’ there!! It must be glorious to be able to practice outside in the mountains:) Happy Sunday my friend!!

Pam August 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I’m so impressed with your yoga pose!

I noticed having a bigger breakfast keeps me from over eating later in the day. That’s fine by me because breakfast is my favorite!

She-Fit August 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Deck yoga sounds so fun and relaxing! Love the pose :)

Hayley H August 2, 2009 at 5:35 pm

that picture of you is GORGEOUS!! you go girl! now i’m excited for my next yoga sesh.

I think breakfast would have to be my favorite too. It’s usually my most relaxed meal since I’ve just woken up and haven’t had too much time to be stressed about my day yet- that’s for AFTER breakfast!

carolinebee August 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm

That view!!! I hope all your techie troubles are now solved :D I’m a fan of the big dinner, but I love eating early so I wake up hungry for a big breakfast! I find it so funny to meet ppl who *still* don’t eat breakfast, or never have, just because in my world (aka blogworld :) EVERYONE eats breakfast…and it ain’t just corn flakes :D

Angharad August 2, 2009 at 5:44 pm

You are such a hotty! Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day – I literally couldn’t function without it. Oats, toast, eggs, cereal, yogurt, fruit….all my fave foods!

organicashley August 2, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I LOVE breakfast!! I could not live without it. Although I am trying to wait until I am truly hungry to eat breakfast but I always get out bed thinking can I eat now. hehe

Sharon August 2, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I like breakfast the best. I usually start things off with a smoothie that is why! btw, i tried the dryer lint smoothie…it was DELICIOUS! I had it for breakfast yesterday and today! hehe

Hayley August 2, 2009 at 6:51 pm

You have some serious muscles going on Heather!! Your body looks amazing. I’d have to agree with you about breakfast – man do I love me some oats! I used to do exactly the same thing – avoid breakfast all day (sometimes even lunch) and overdo it at dinner. Perhaps that’s why breakfast is now my favorite meal of the day. I spent too many years depriving myself!

The weather there looks glorious!

Peace and Peanutbutter August 2, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Hey Heather,

I agree, Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal! I look forward to my breakfast even before I go to sleep!

Thanks for the reminder to FEED OUR BODIES WHEN WE’RE HUNGRY!

So glad you’re enjoying CO!

~Erika

traveleatlove August 2, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I love lunch and snacks. Though I have found that I HAVE to eat all day long to keep myself going. Sudden shaking and sweats are not fun, and thats what happens when I don’t eat every 2 hours or so.

Whit August 2, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I pretty much love breakfast. I want to marry it. I also am amazed at your awesome yoga skillz + views. Incred!

Mandy A August 2, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Gorgeous view, HEABS!!! Wow!

I have to say, breakfast is probably the meal I look forward to the most every day ;)

fartygirl August 2, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Favorite meal? For me, it’s always whatever meal that I can eat the most! My digestion is so temperamental. Since discovering almond butter and PBU, I eat a lot more calories at breakfast, which gives me a lot more energy through the day.

You’ve inspired me to do Yoga, as well. You look incredible in this pic! A testament to the institution. ;)

krissa August 2, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Wow. We are all breakfast people. I especially love breakfast since finding these foodie blogs. I never thought of oats/berries/and BARNEY BUTTER! I look forward to my next breakfast as soon I finish one :)

You look so pretty in that photo.

michelle August 2, 2009 at 8:15 pm

hi, is the sun warrior protein powder vegan? and why do you use it.i have been thinking of upping my protein intake but want to learn more about it and what ppl feel like when they use it, thanks

eatingbirdfood August 2, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I love that picture of you Heather!

Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day. I could eat breakfast foods for every meal. :)

holly the healthy everythingtarian August 2, 2009 at 8:53 pm

breakfast is DEF my fave meal of the day.

i want to do deck yoga to – can i join?!?!

Katharina August 2, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Wow! Colorado seems like such a tranquil place and I love how you took your yoga practice outside. You can really look out into the distance in warrior 2, huh?

Breakfast is hands down my favorite meal of the day. I didn’t even have to think about that one haha!

Cindy August 2, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I can do that pose…..just before I EAT IT!
HA

GREAT POSE and I agree…. great view of the mountains. Could Yoga get ANY better?

I agree too… if your body says EAT…THAN EAT
eating WHAT your bod is telling you is good too!

missyrayn August 2, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I used to skip breakfast for the same reasons. I never liked the way I felt but always thought that if I ate breakfast I would be even hungrier. Now I love it and it helps me to eat moderately throughout the day.

Usually I most look forward to dinner because I try out new recipes. Breakfast is usually my standard oatmeal with a few varieties of toppings. But lunch lately has been more fun because I’m trying out new salad toppings. Overall I just like to eat :-)

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 2, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Call me creepy, but I am in LOVE with that picture of you. I want to find a good yoga class and make as big of a bowl of oatbran as I want. It all evens out, right? Love you girl. You are an inspiration.

broccolihut August 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I am a breakfast girl, through and through. It gives me something to think about during my morning runs:)

WholeBodyLove August 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Wow, Heather, you hit home with me today! I started my day with yoga as well. I was in a studio and although I enjoyed my practice today, my tummy was rumbling through my sun salutations! I definitely need to be more aware of how hungry I am when I wake up. Sometimes we forget that our bodies may need more or less nourishment one morning than it did the morning before.

amanda @ Panda Lunch August 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm

What a great yoga pic!!

Breakfast is by far my most favorite meal of the day. I usually have one big breakfast or two small ones, I eat a ton in the morning, then taper off throughout the day. I used to do the calorie banking thing too, but I’ve found if I’ll go ahead and eat a HUGE breakfast, I’m not as hungry the rest of the day. Every night, I’m like a little kid on Christmas eve, I can’t wait to go to sleep because it just gets me closer to breakfast time! LOL

Deb August 2, 2009 at 11:09 pm

You are ripped and shredded! Shows that you don’t have to do hours and hours of cardio to be toned and fit. Healthy eating and yoga is what seems to work for you! Keep enjoying!

buffmuffy August 2, 2009 at 11:16 pm

you look so strong doing yoga. way to go girly!
-muffy

MizFit August 3, 2009 at 4:44 am

I adore that photo of you, Heather.

I said repeatedly “after BlogHer Im so getting back into yoga”

it’s after blogher.

thanks for the reminder.

Lara (Thinspired) August 3, 2009 at 5:05 am

Heather, you look so serene and peaceful! You are beautiful.
I have to say that I look foward to dinner the most. For me, it’s the most social, fun meal of the day, and I tend to like “dinner foods” best anyway :)

Nicole August 3, 2009 at 6:41 am

Hi!
I’ve been reading for a while but this, I believe, is my first time posting. I have to agree with you about breakfast–it’s the one meal I actually look forward to and honestly enjoy the most. Sometimes when I have a nice dinner planned I will look forward to it, but nothing makes me feel better than my morning eats.
Your yoga picture is awesome–the mountain view behind you is amazing! Enjoy your day :)

gina (fitnessista) August 3, 2009 at 7:38 am

oh heaby, you are so beautiful :D is that birds of paradise???
you’re totally right about just eating when you’re hungry. i find that when i don’t, it just sets me up to overindulge and feel nasty later on.
i always look forward to lunch– a big salad beast is the most refreshing and satisfying meal
have a great day <3

Brandi August 3, 2009 at 7:59 am

beautiful picture, Heather. Breakfast is my favorite for sure! I don’t know what it is, but the first meal is always my favorite. I wish every meal felt like breakfast.

CaSaundra August 3, 2009 at 8:03 am

That could totally go in a yoga magazine–the background is gorg! I am def a breakfast lover; the sunrise, quiet of the morning, and breakfast food is just the best!

Gena (Choosing Raw) August 3, 2009 at 8:48 am

I envy you that beautiful outdoor morning yoga, Ms. Heather!!! Enjoy it, and enjoy your travels :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 3, 2009 at 9:13 am

I used to skip breakfast or grab something out of the vending machine (donuts, pop tarts) and a soda when I got to work, eek, ugh, gross!

Now I eat breakfast everyday and it’s always very healthy and filling and energizing! It is my favorite meal of the day as well :) I sometimes eat it for dinner too, haha.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

Meh, I just like to eat! Haha! I’m also obsessed with peeling bananas the right way now too–I think it really is easier! Honestly, how dumb did you feel watching that video clip, realizing you’d been peeling bananas the mangling way your whole life?! I’m so humbled. ;)

foodnfit August 3, 2009 at 9:39 am

That’s such a great picture–I love the view! :)
The meal I probably look forward to the most is breakfast–I’m always starving first thing in the AM

Marissa August 3, 2009 at 9:42 am

I made a HUGE salad for dinner last night. I had to leave a few bites because I made it too big ;-)

jennieinwonderland August 3, 2009 at 11:16 am

I’m not sure which meal I prefer!! Since I’ve started drinking my breakfast, in the form of Green Monsters, I look forward to it – and honestly feel ‘off’ if I haven’t had it. But I love nice, simple dinners – a big salad, maybe or a small bowl of hemp pasta with fresh tomato sauce, mmmm. And of course a glass of red vino!!

I do tend to eat most of my calories during the day – after all, what’s the point of fueling energy in the evening? I don’t need it to sleep!!

Johanna B August 3, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I love my breakfast. A nice clean breakfast sets me up for a day of healthy choices. I agree with you about “eat when you’re hungry”. I’ve found that if I let myself get too hungry then I make poor choices and then berate myself for not having the right amount of “Willpower”. I’ve even started stashing snacks around for those times.

elise August 3, 2009 at 12:47 pm

dinner! im not sure if its just bc im SO not a morning person, but i seem to eat my biggest, bestest, most badass meal in the PM. i guess an entire day of brainstorming can produce that?

what a gorgeous photo. you, background, pose, etc.

polly August 3, 2009 at 1:48 pm

hi love muffin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had to check in with my heabs!! Even in Disney World! That pic of you is AWESOME… girl you are go-juss! Yoga yumminess is that pose!

Okay, gotta skoot…. just to make you smile… I had a CUP of oats in the middle of Typhoon Lagoon today and it was yummoooooo! Tonight it’s chicken, taters, baked beans, and down home cookin!

Love you tons, my sweet peach!! We are all well and happy and loving every minute. My belly is even being wonderful since I decided to give up eating green veggies… heehee. :P XOXO

Stacy August 3, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I agree! Breakfast is by faaaaaaaar my favorite meal especially on weekends, when I can really dedicate time to getting it ready!

ttfn300 August 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm

breakfast for sure!!! you’ve been so active i’m not surprised you’re hungry :)

Judy August 3, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I love breakfast, and I can never, ever skip it, but at one time I did. Like you, I was ‘saving’ my calories for later. I’m so glad to have learned the truth about breakfast, because I am a lot happier (and energized) this way!!

earthybrit August 3, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I used to ignore my body and tell it it wasn’t really hungry, big no no. I try to eat when I am hungry, and what I am craving. If I eat alot one day it’s prob because my body needs it. Like today, I have been a bottomless pit, our bodies our machines that don’t come with extra parts, so fuel up and go, live and be happy.

Julia August 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

That is so one of the poses that I had a really hard time with when I first started yoga, and now I love because it’s such a symbol of the progression you go through in yoga. Deck yoga looks like a dream :-) .

Erin August 4, 2009 at 12:00 am

You look amazing :) Strong and happy. I love that picture!
My favorite meal is dinner. It’s the only time I eat with my honey bun.

glidingcalm August 5, 2009 at 11:01 am

you are a yoga rock star!

dewtakeflight August 5, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I LOVE breakfast. In fact I go to bed excited about it every morning. Oatbran is really delicious. I like to cook half serving oatbran and half serving regular oatmeal (not instant kind) for a blended texture. Also soaking it overnight makes a really delicious cool summer breakfast! This morning I had oatbran/meal in an (almost) used up peanut butter jar and I realized something…ever since I began eating more almond butter I can’t handle peanut butter anymore! I’m a total convert .