I Love Tent Life

by HEAB on August 6, 2009

CD and I left Westcliffe behind yesterday and drove up to Woodland Park, Colorado.  We’re staying in this yurt:

Pretty Wild, huh?

Hmm, I think I'm going to like it here. :)

Some information about our yurt from the owner:

Settled on 10 acres but surrounded by thousands of acres of national forest, my home is what I consider the epitome of mountain living. The pleasing circular structured yurt boasts 360 degree views and brings the outdoors in – or brings the indoors out!

The large yurt is 30′ in diameter with full kitchen, bath, dining area, living area and bedroom. It has a queen size sleep number bed and a small pullout couch which sleeps 1, maybe 2 small children. The small yurt, or the affectionately named ‘yurtlet’, is 16′ diameter and will sleep 2 more on a queen size air bed, and is connected via a deck to the large yurt.

I was a bit apprehensive about our stay here, but once I walked inside, all my worries flew right out the window plastic. Check out the kitchen:

So much for roughin it, huh?

So much for roughing it, huh?

I’m still phoneless, but I don’t think I could get a signal up here anyway as we’re at 9,200 feet with some amazing mountain views.  Thankfully, we do have wi-fi, but I’m planning on very little time in front of the computer.  The great outdoors are calling my name, and I would love for you guys to join me on a walk tomorrow morning…say 7ish? ;)

We’re only about 5 miles from town, and CD did some major grocery shopping today. So excited to have 2 things back in my life:

Hummus and Brussels sprouts.

Hummus and roasted Brussels sprouts.

The nearest hummus was an hour’s drive from Westcliffe, and once we ran out, I did not feel like making the drive again. Brussels sprouts were nowhere to be found in that town.  Gosh, I missed them! Oh, and the oat bran and almond butter have been restocked as well. Thank you CD!

So much to share with you guys over the next few days. Stay tuned for more HEAB Q & A as well as an update on my decision to go dairy free.  See ya bright and early tomorrow morning…dress warm.  It’s cold here in the AM!

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

Sounds like your readers really liked my balls.

Maggie August 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Oh my! Sounds like a lot is happening with you. That “yurt” looks awesome. I think the kitchen is nicer than mine! I haven’t had hummus or brussels in a while; I need to add them to the list :)

Shelby August 6, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Haha, that comment from CD is too funny!

What a cute little yurt! I bet I would love it too. It’s like camping but without the crappy tents that fall apart haha.

Enjoy the oatbran, AB, brussels, and hummus! Some favorites of mine as well =)

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 6, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Wow, that kitchen looks gorgeous. Definitely not what I thought the inside of a yurt would look like!

JB August 6, 2009 at 9:24 pm

CD cracks me up every time. really. he does. YAY for the return of hummus! and who knew yurts could be so pretty on the inside?? SO CUTE! i would love to blend up some yummy groats in that adorable woodsy kitchen, haha. can’t wait for the Q & A. love ya HEAB! :)

-JB

Jenna August 6, 2009 at 9:25 pm

omg i wouldn’t be complaining living there! ijust found your blog and it is great. check out my new blog and let me know what you think!
jenna

ttfn300 August 6, 2009 at 9:25 pm

hehehe, cd gets me every time! that place looks pretty awesome :) and of course i’d love to join you tomorrow morning for a walk!

Maria August 6, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Ahahaha, CD is such a guy ;)

Wow that kitchen is so awesome! Yeah, cannot do without hummus and brussel sprouts either. I need to pick up some of the latter!

Hope you enjoy your lovely walk!!!

Emily August 6, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Gorgeous kitch, 5 mi from town- that’s my kind of “roughing it”! You probably mentioned it, but how did you discover this place? Is this a regular trip for you?

Enjoy the walks and the views!

justrun August 6, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I think I’ve seen that place online. What a great kitchen! And there’s more beautiful weather on the way. Enjoy!

WholeBodyLove August 6, 2009 at 9:56 pm

I’ve never heard of a yurt. I swear HEAB is so educational for me :)

carolinebee August 6, 2009 at 10:05 pm

SO i’ve discovered I very much like saying Yurt :D Yurt yurt yurt!!!
That kitchen is awesome, and Chris- that is just inappropriate… :D

lola August 6, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Lovely “yurt” haha! and i love the hummus pic, it’s so yummy
!

lilveggiepatch August 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Gorgeous! Looks like you’re having a great time.

Marissa August 6, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Wow! Love that kitchen!

Marissa August 6, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I also came across this recipe and thought I would pass it along to you: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beet-Salad-with-Almond-Butter-and-Gorgonzola-Bomboloni-240245

Cindy August 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Yeah….. CD’s comment today is HILARIOUS!!!

I love your YURT…how did it get that name????

I am in….7 am EASY PEASY.

Thanks for takin’ us along on your vacation…I feel kinda rested and
peaceful!

xo

buffmuffy August 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Wow that is AWESOME! I would love to stay there, that kitchen is gorg.
Yes, tell CD we all love his balls. LOL.
-muffy

Samantha August 6, 2009 at 10:47 pm

*chuckle* Boys will be boys!

luckytastebuds August 6, 2009 at 11:08 pm

ahhh that is a chef’s kitchen in a tent. It puts my crappy kitchen in a high-rise building to shame. hahaha

Brussel sprouts and hummus is a match made in heaven!! I rolled them all up in a wrap once and i can never forget it again. :P Gosh I feel so educated reading your blog…learning about things like Yurts and your balls. hehehehe

Lainie August 6, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Oooh! My in-laws stayed in those yurts I think! I’m almost positive. That kitchen is freaking amazing.

Happy for you that hummus is back in your life….

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 6, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I’m glad you have your essential food items back! It’s funny, I love Brussels sprouts now, but I used to dislike them a lot when I was little… ;)

The yurt is amazing! Enjoy your stay! And thanks for taking us along on some of your adventures… :)

Deb August 7, 2009 at 12:05 am

Tee hee giggle cd’s balls wink wink!

Kitchen is swanky. Love me a stainless steel fridge!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 7, 2009 at 12:41 am

Wow that kitchen is pimp! I think most of have spent years of our life, i.e. college, early 20s, in kitchens much lower in appeal than where you’re staying…and it’s a yurt! Wow, the best of both worlds: back to nature meets great kitchen.

I didnt know you liked Brussels’s Sprouts? I mean they are a really personal thing, I think LOL. I have a few of them in my hugh jass nightly. And broccoli. Both of which are in the brassica family. So is cabbage and bok choy which I am not nearly as into either of those, but I CRAVE broc-n-brussels. Have to have em. Call me nuts!

Have a splendid time in your yurt!
averie

joelygolightly August 7, 2009 at 2:12 am

Tent life looks pretty awesome!! Makes me want to go on camping asap!

Lara (Thinspired) August 7, 2009 at 4:31 am

Wow! That is not how I envision camping ;) If all camping was like that, I think I could handle it just fine ;)
Really looking forward to the Q&A! Glad you’re enjoying yourself, Heather!

Carolyn August 7, 2009 at 4:33 am

I think you should make some yurt-gurt!

MizFit August 7, 2009 at 4:39 am

huh
is it sad that the kitchen there totally kicks my own kitchens arse?!

so glad youre having fun doing *my* version of camping as well :)

Erica August 7, 2009 at 4:58 am

What a freaking cool vacation! I’ve never heard of a yurt before but it has a pretty sweet kitchen. Glad you got some more yummies back in your life. BRUSSELS! I hope you picked up some stinky broc too ;)

hayleycepeda August 7, 2009 at 5:02 am

I must admit when I first saw the tents from the outside I thought, “Rather Heather than me!” Now that I’ve seen the inside I take it all back! That place looks AWESOME!!! I can’t wait to see pics of the views.

CD’s comment has me rolling…

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) August 7, 2009 at 5:37 am

That’s such a nice kitchen!

livingfreeforever August 7, 2009 at 5:56 am

That place is freaking AMAZING!!!!! I can’t believe the inside is so nice and up-to-date. Glad you have a kitchen though–and some yummy foods that you have been missing:) I think I may head out for a walk this morning! Can’t wait to see more:)
XOXO

Becky August 7, 2009 at 6:07 am

Wow, your “tent” looks way more fun than mine! Have a great time, enjoy the outdoors! If you are meeting up with readers/bloggers in Denver, let me know…I’m here :)

jacobc August 7, 2009 at 6:09 am

lmao! A tent with full bath and wifi? that is my idea of roughing it to! Like a cabin. So how many tents are there? Looks like you have a close neighbor.
I’m sure you have some amazing views again, so jealous- get ready for shock when you roll back into town with all the buildings!!
The good part is it is just a short walk to the grocery store ;-)

Jess August 7, 2009 at 6:17 am

I had never heard of a yurt before – thanks for sharing this experience with us! It looks like such an awesome place to stay!

Rosey Rebecca August 7, 2009 at 6:21 am

OMG that kitchen is amazing!! I don’t even really know what a yurt is. Time for google! ha

I’m glad you entered my giveaway!! Hopefully you’ll win some salsa!! YAY

Kristen August 7, 2009 at 6:35 am

Gorgeous yurtlet! Enjoy!!

Emily August 7, 2009 at 6:35 am

When I was younger, my Dad was obsessed with yurts! He wanted one so badly – I’m sure he would be super jealous of your trip. :) It looks beautiful.

Have a great walk!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 7, 2009 at 6:41 am

Ok, after seeing your pics, I seriously want to campaign the husband for a trip up there sometime in the future!

VeggieGirl August 7, 2009 at 6:42 am

Holy goodness…. I’m definitely a city girl, so more power to you for staying in the tents, hahaha ;-)

Whit August 7, 2009 at 6:42 am

Oh CD. ha.ha.ha.ha.ha.

That’s all I have to say.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 7, 2009 at 6:43 am

The word “yurt” always makes me giggle, and I’m not really sure why… but it looks amazing! Hope you’re having as much fun as it seems :)

justine August 7, 2009 at 6:50 am

CD..hahahahaha. Hes so silly!! Your yurt is beautiful (that’s sounds kinda dirty). Cant wait to see some more pics of your views there. You got me craving some bs. Haven’t had them in 4ever!!!

Love,
Justine

Pam August 7, 2009 at 6:54 am

That kitchen is about 1000 times nicer than the one in my apartment. You are definitely roughing it! Enjoy!

Michal Mymo August 7, 2009 at 6:57 am

Wow that kitchen is amazing, its way nicer than mine haha! Ive never even heard of a yurt before but your picture makes me want to go stay in one. I wonder if they have them in ohio somewhere? (:

MarathonVal August 7, 2009 at 7:07 am

Oh my gosh, you are having SUCH an amazing trip. I was just wondering how you planned your entire vacation…. did you know anyone who recommended the places you stayed? I just feel like I wouldn’t even know about the fabulous but unique places you are staying. Wanna be my travel agent? ;)

brandi August 7, 2009 at 7:13 am

can I just live in that yurt? it’s beautiful!

have so much this weekend :)

CaSaundra August 7, 2009 at 7:22 am

I am so jealous of all your “roughing it” adventures–I would love to be disconnected from everything for awhile :-)

Denise August 7, 2009 at 7:37 am

all I can say is – wow! that place looks so awesome.

polly August 7, 2009 at 7:43 am

hehehehehhehe CD you bad boy.

I love you, Heabs! I just emailed you, honey pie! Massive hugs from our house to your TENT. :D XOXO

Can’t wait to read about dairy free plans?!?!? hug hug hug

fartygirl August 7, 2009 at 7:45 am

My mom just stood over my shoulder and read your blog with me, explaining what a “yurt” is. She loves designing shows and has seen them before. I was like, Um… can I get one? How awesome would it be to live in one of those in the middle of the woods somewhere? Just like Thoreau. You lucky girl!

Brussel sprouts and hummus… Yeah, I’m totally trying that, asap.

ksgoodeats August 7, 2009 at 8:13 am

That is so cool!! It sounds like so much fun to live in (well, minus the hour drive for hummus ;) )!

Jean August 7, 2009 at 9:06 am

Some tent! If I could ‘camp’ like that, I’d be first in line to sign up!

Exactly how cold is it? I’m headed to Yellowstone a week from tomorrow. I know that it will be COOL, as in long sleeve t-shirts & a jackets, but is that enough?

Holly August 7, 2009 at 9:08 am

if the saying “looks are only skin deep” – this is proof! the inside is GORGEOUS! enjoy your mountain adventure me lady!

Susan August 7, 2009 at 9:13 am

So happy to get an update from tent town! Although, that is the nicest looking tent I’ve ever seen. Have you ever read Harry Potter? Reminds me of the tents they stayed in at the World Cup in the fourth book…

Oh! And I was up at 7am running, so I was with you in spirit ;)

Trilby Drew August 7, 2009 at 10:08 am

Sweet! I’ve always wanted to stay in a yurt! That is so cool!

Out of curiousity, has the altitude affected your walking or CD’s running? It sounds like you guys are higher than you were in Nashville. And by “higher” I mean altitude, not you know, illicit substances or anything.

veganfritz August 7, 2009 at 10:11 am

Lol @ “Sounds like your readers really liked my balls.” I have to say I’d be pretty pumped about getting a little be Kazakh and yurtin’ it

Jordan August 7, 2009 at 10:29 am

That first picture looks like absolute HEAVEN. Those deck chairs would get lots of use. And what a nice surprise with that kitchen inside! Gorgeous. Enjoy :)

Marycela August 7, 2009 at 10:39 am

Your yurt is stylin’ lol. Glad you got some good eats, hope you and CD have fun.

Marissa August 7, 2009 at 1:10 pm

My brother and his family live in Woodland Park. If you can make a trip into the Springs to see Garden of the Gods I HIGHLY recommend it! It’s gorgeous!

jocelynsteiber August 7, 2009 at 3:17 pm

That kitchen is amazing! I want it

glidingcalm August 7, 2009 at 4:48 pm

that place is gorrrrrrrrrrgeous!!!

missyrayn August 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm

CD’s quote is soooo funny!

BTW that yurt looks better than my apartment. So much fun to live in a tent and to have all the amenities of home. :)

Kristin August 10, 2009 at 9:39 am

Wow that looks amazing. I think I want to move to Colorado after my recent visit! Hope you guys are having a blast.

That yurt thing looks pretty neat. Have you seen those earthships they make out in the dessert or mtns with old tires and concrete? Pretty cool as well.

Tiffany S. August 11, 2009 at 10:44 am

Hi HEAB – Did you find the yurt through vrbo.com? Can you shoot me the rental link so I can put it in my file of potential vacation spots?

I second going to see Garden of the Gods – I’ve only seen photos but it looks AMAZING.

Happy trails!
Tiff

Linda August 11, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Wow, how COOL!

HaHa on CD’s comment….lol

I love roasted brussel sprouts too, made them this way for the first time about a month ago and they are the best!

Scott August 17, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I am reading your blog and find out you were in Westcliffe. I have property in Westcliffe and there is a yurt next door to me. I live in CA and just dicovered your blog. Love almond butter and your blog. My place is off Verdamont Rd and I have a little cabin with no plumbing. A great outhouse and composting toliet. SDo you visit Westcliffe often?

Annie August 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I found your site by accident about a month ago. I loved it… but couldn’t save it because I wasn’t on my computer.. and didn’t think about sending myself an email.. dang it..

By the time I got home a couple of days later.. I couldn’t remember your name… only the almond butter.. I looked and googled.. and could never find it.. about every two days I tried a new search – and finally BINGO!! I found you!! YEAH ME!

Now, I read you live in a YURT!! I am so jealous… I have a YURT site saved in my favorites at work and show people when I tell them my dream/plan to buy some land and “build” a yurt. They look at me with the strangest look… and it only gets stranger when I show them the YURT.

Anyway, I am so excited about exploring your site. I love you attitude and soooo enjoy reading your blog!! WHOOPPEEEE Happy happy joy joy.

Brenna Kater, the Oceanskater September 5, 2010 at 8:33 am

I am SO jealous that you stayed in a yurt!!!

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 8:35 am

Brenna Kater,
I missed our yurt this summer – it was an amazing place to stay!

{ 11 trackbacks }