More on HEAB

by HEAB on August 8, 2009

As promised, more Q & A…

Q: Katie P: Do you count how many calories you eat each day or just ‘know’ how much you need?  How do you keep things in control – weigh yourself daily/weekly/monthly? I am just starting out on maintenance, and I am impressed by your ability to eat what you love and still keep the weight off.  Any tips would be much appreciated.

A: I would love to say that I never count my calories…that the thought doesn’t even cross my mind, but I can’t.  After years of maintaining my weight loss, I can easily rattle off the calorie content for any food item out there.  No, I don’t keep a food journal or track my intake daily, but I always have a rough estimate going in my head.  I usually average between 1800-1900 calories a day, sometimes more, but rarely less.  I won’t lie – there are still days when I freak out that I’ve eaten way too much, and I’ll log onto www.fitday.com to calculate my numbers.

As far as keeping things in control goes, I know what foods work for me, and I stick to those. I refuse to be hungry, and I love feeling satiated – otherwise, I think about food all day.  So, as long as I stick to the good stuff, I’m fine.  We do own a scale, but I try not to weigh myself.  I might jump on once a week, but the numbers are always so different, and for me, it’s not very reliable.  I have this one pair of pants that I use as my “check-in” pants.  If they fit, then I just keep chugging along.  However, if they’re feeling tight around the thighs and pinching my belly, then I back off on the calories a bit.

Click here for a post by Mizfit regarding maintaining weight loss – there are a lot of great tips in the comments as well.

Q: Several of you have asked how CD and I met.

A: We met…in a bar on April 9, 2005.  We were both at The Flying Saucer, a local bar located in downtown Nashville, attending a post road-race party. Chris ran in the race, and I had worked as a volunteer.  CD is 4 years younger than me and looks so young anyway.  He was 24 when we met but didn’t look a day over 18. He had also enjoyed one too many drinks that evening. Let’s just say it wasn’t love at first sight for me (sorry CD). Anyway, we had mutual friends and kept running into one another over the next year.  I developed a bit of a crush, but he was clueless.  I basically stalked him (It totally works ladies!), and the rest is history. Love you Chris!

Our wedding day - September 22, 2007.

Our wedding day - September 22, 2007.

Q: Hayley: How did you get into yoga and what kinds of classes would you recommend to someone who likes a good challenge?

A:  My first experience with yoga was my senior year at Auburn University.  I actually took a yoga class as an elective, but I remember nothing about it. My weight loss journey began that same year, and although I owned a few yoga videos/DVD’s, I was never really into it.  Soon after, I took up running, and from then on, it was all cardio all the time. In my mind, Yoga was nothing but a bunch of New Agey type people sitting in a room meditating.   Besides, with all the running I was doing, there wasn’t much time for anything else.  However, after reading this essay, I began to question all the cardio I was doing as I wasn’t really enjoying my workouts anymore. Slowly, running began to take a back seat to other forms of exercise, including yoga.  My local YMCA offered a Yoga Sculpt class, and I was hooked from day 1.  Later I would learn that it was actually an Ashtanga Level 3 class – in typical Heather style I never really eased into yoga with any beginner classes.  Anyway, in January 2009, I decided that I would focus more on my yoga practice, and now it’s all I do.

Here are some past posts chronicling my journey from running/cardio to yoga:

When I started doing more and more yoga, I only wanted to do classes that felt like a workout to me – Vinyasa Flow and Ashtanga classes.  However, now I’m incorporating more slower paced classes focusing on proper alignment like Anusara and restorative classes like Yin Yoga.  I’m feeling more balanced, and the gentler classes have really helped to deepen my practice – both physically and mentally.  It’s no longer about getting in a good workout, but about doing something good for my body, connecting with my breath, and being present.

Later my friends…I’ve got some mountains to hike. Have a good weekend! :)

janetha August 8, 2009 at 11:19 am

heather i love your Q&A sessions. you have so many wise words!! thanks for posting. cute story with you and CD.

VeggieGirl August 8, 2009 at 11:22 am

You and CD are so meant to be – love it!

Erica August 8, 2009 at 11:26 am

Great set of Q&A. I loved hearing about how you and CD! You guys are so cute. I love MizFits tips on maintaing. She just rocks, doesn’t she?

Maria August 8, 2009 at 11:33 am

Love this post! Great, thorough answers, Heather! Hehe, I especially enjoyed reading about how you stalked CD ;) You two are so cute!

Shelby August 8, 2009 at 11:36 am

I never thought I would say this…but that first question made me realize I never count calories anymore! I didn’t relize I stopped but now that I think about it, I never do! Crazy!

I think for a lot of people it isn’t love at first sight. I know boys at school that I never thought I would like that I have developed crushes on. But that is too funny how you stalked him! There must be a certain way to pull that off because I tried it when I was little and didn’t work out =/

psychoj1 August 8, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Love this! Thanks so much for sharing!

Yasmin August 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Great Q&A especially about the part on how you met your husband.

She-Fit August 8, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for the question and answers! I really like how you stated you eat when you are hungry.. otherwise you would think about food all day long. It’s so true.

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) August 8, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Fun post!

Love your wedding picture!

polly August 8, 2009 at 12:38 pm

LOVED this post, Heabs!!! So honest and real and so YOU! That is why I love ya to pieces. Enjoy the day, with your younger dude. :D hehehe

Did you know D is younger than me? 3 months. ;) XOXO

Have a lovely, balanced, no calorie counting, sweet day my friend. Love you more than peaches. XOXO

Yes, I will start Ephesians soon!! I will tell Jenn! XOXO

JB August 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm

maybe you should post some stalking tips, because i don’t think it works for everybody! haha. and i love how you’re honest about everything, even the calorie counting. i used to count calories a lot, but don’t anymore. a lot of the time, i’m somewhat aware of how many calories are in something, but then when i start throwing things together and making a meal i don’t bother adding anything up.

have fun hiking!

-JB

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 8, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Thank you for the honest post and for sharing your reflections on how you’ve evolved on everything from food to yoga styles. Enjoy the outdoor weekend time with Chris in beautiful CO!
Averie

glidingcalm August 8, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I loved this.

You know something? Most people’s Q and A’s I cannot stand to read. I really do have the shortest attention span. I can’t even finish a movie in ONE sitting usually……rarely can get through books (even ones I enjoy!!), and even TV shows that are an hour long can be rough for me!!

BUT… everytime I come to HEAB…whether it is a lot of writing or a little, I am always reading and enjoying!! That is so rare for me Heather!!!

Aka. I love youuuuuu! And admire you! :)

Thanks for being honest. The wedding picture is so gorgeous!!

Rosey Rebecca August 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm

You picked some great questions to answer. I especially like your answer to the first one!

Whit August 8, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I love the ‘how we met’ and the wedding picture! You and CD are quite the handsome couple there!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 8, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Great questions and answers!!!

Tiffany S. August 8, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Your wedding pic just radiates happy energy.

My husband, Chris, is ALSO four years younger than me! I figure he can take care of me in my old age – hah!

Happy Hiking

fartygirl August 8, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I love the old posts! I can’t believe how much your workout and diet has changed over the last year! It’s nice to see someone else who fluctuates in their system, always learning more and changing. That’s what keeps us healthy, I think. I used to be all about the Puffins too.

btw. I thought of a question. What’s the end result of HEAB? Do you plan on trying to sell a book, or are you keeping the blog as a means of “giving back”?

Deb August 8, 2009 at 7:59 pm

So Chris is your boy-toy?! Yeah Heebie!

Btw I can agree that the boys
might need convincin’ sometimes. My hubby wasn’t feelin the love for a little while, and eventually we got together. Perseverence can pay off.

I want to go to your YMCA that offers level 3 ashtanga!! I’m always hesitant about community classes as they are so gentle (which is great) but not a workout.

Enjoy all that lovely hiking!

MarathonVal August 8, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Oh my, your wedding picture is beyond adorable. You look SO happy!!

ttfn300 August 8, 2009 at 9:23 pm

great q & a :)

Kristen August 8, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Aw, flying saucer! You make me miss Nashville! I think check-in pants are a great idea.

gina (fitnessista) August 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm

i loved this post! and what a great story about how you met christian dior :D
i’m the same way about calories.. i stopped journaling but always have a ballpark idea in my head
they have a flying saucer in little rock- what an awesome bar!
enjoy the rest of your weekend <3

yogiclarebear August 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm

thanks for your honesty. meh…numbers.

Emily August 9, 2009 at 1:46 am

Hi Heather ~
I am a relatively new reader, having found your blog a week or two ago. I just wanted to say hello and also thank you for posting links to your history with yoga. I am still at the start of my practice and they’ve given me even more inspiration.
Have a great day!
~ Emily.

Damjana August 9, 2009 at 3:30 am

such a cute story about you and cd:)

Lara (Thinspired) August 9, 2009 at 4:44 am

Thanks for these, Heather. You and CD are just so darn cute. He seems like a truly nice guy. There’s only a few left, ya know, since we nut-butter loving, tall foodies are taking them all ;)

Juicy Jessy August 9, 2009 at 5:39 am

i really want to start doing yoga too. i’m moving in january and i hope to find some yoga classes where i’ll live!

CaSaundra August 9, 2009 at 7:39 am

Love the Q & A and you and your hubs are so cute!

ksgoodeats August 9, 2009 at 7:59 am

I love the Q&A segment! I especially like how you and CD met – I’m a sucker for those kind of stories so I think that’s adorable :)

hayleycepeda August 9, 2009 at 9:22 am

I’m coming to realize that there are a lot of bloggers out there who married guys named Chris. It’s very strange! :) This was such a great post Heather and I really appreciate you answering my question! I can’t wait to read the essay link you posted along with your previous posts on yoga. I’d really like to get more into that and/or pilates and break away from the running a bit but I’m having a hard time. I’m not at the point where I don’t like running though…I really love it right now and I usually do 45-60 mins 4 times a week. Anyway, thank you for this!

Bailey680 August 9, 2009 at 11:11 am

Hi, Heather. You are an inspiration! I am searching for a protein mix and want to know which you prefer: Jay Robb or SunWarrior? And please be specific with flavors and kind. Is there a way to get free samples and can it only be bought online? I am not a vegan…I just what to feed and fuel my body with what it needs and I want to lose about 15 lbs.
I am a newbie and I have enjoyed your site tremendously.
Health and Happiness to You.

Marycela August 9, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Thank you for the Q&A it is really helpful and insightful. You and CD are meant to be!

Holly August 9, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I LOVED this, Heather! I absolutely love finding out people’s “How we met” stories. You two seem incredibly perfect for each other. :-)

I am the same way with calories. I think it’s just engrained in me to count, although I would love to drop that completely!

MizFit August 10, 2009 at 4:46 am

I love the Q&As as I tend to think “I totally know that blogger” and then I read these and think REALLY? I HAD NO CLUE!

elise August 10, 2009 at 9:28 am

haha – stalking works!!!!!!! i loved this post. kyles younger than i am too, and i may have stalked him a bit, too…however, being all about the pursuit, i was over it pretty quickly since he was too easily won over. poor kyle. he had a rough time convincing me that relationships were worthwhile. ah well, the rest is history.
anyways.
i feel the same way about scales being unreliable. if my clothes fit, alls good…if they are feeling tighter, then i think of ways to get back on track. i’ve (almost) gotten used to and become content knowing some days i go overboard, and thats life, and the world still goes on, and i can make up for it later…good to know we all have freak out days that brings business to fitday.com :)

justine August 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Heabers!!! Man, I am behind. Love your yoga love and you and CD look so so fab in that wedding photo. I miss you!!

~Justine

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Thanks for this post! I loved reading your older ones about the way you used to exercise. I still run occasionally but mostly just 5K’s because they are fun and give me a challenge but don’t wear me down.

For a while though, I didn’t run (after completing a half marathon and several other races) and I tried to keep eating the same way I did when I was running which meant weight gain for me.

I went back and forth for a while but thanks to you, I have finally realized that sugar wreaks havoc on my system and after two solid weeks of cutting out most sugar and watching my grain intake, I have lost a few pounds, gotten more sleep, lost my 2 p.m. slump at work, the dark circles under my eyes are fading…the whole thing is rather amazing. :)

Carolyn August 11, 2009 at 5:19 am

Just read your three noted past posts about the transition from running to… NOT….I know we’ve talked about it but I did not realize one, how recently you did it, and two, what a running and sugar/carb couple you had been vs what you have become… yoga /complex carb queen…Wow…We really do say WWHD? around here alot when it comes to meals and being creative and brave…

i was walking yesterday and someone, about my age, across the street was jogging.. not fast…we were almost going the same speed…i felt like saying… hey, check this out… and save your knees…

cute wedding picture…

Deb August 11, 2009 at 8:27 am

Wow, just read the links to your former workout attitude- I didn’t realize you were that hard core! I knew you were “a runner” but didn’t know about all the rest. What a huge step for you to take that 30 day yoga challenge for yourself to see what happened. Did you do any other kind of exercise? Walking for example?

I used to be as hard core- even more so. I’ve cut back, but still don’t consider it a workout unless it’s at least 45 but better 50 min of cardio and then 20+ of strength. Hmm, stretching? Bad bad me. I would love to incorporate more yoga, but I couldn’t do it as my main form of exercise. What you’ve achieved is truly admirable- because your body is responding and even better that you have found what you love to do!!

Linda August 11, 2009 at 9:31 pm

You made such a beautiful bride! Thanks for sharing :D

peanutbutterprerogative August 13, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Hey Heather!
I love your blog and have been reading it for a while now, though I never comment. Commenting hasn’t really been my thing until recently when I started my own blog and realized that it is nice when others give you confirmation that what you’re writing is actually reaching someone out there in cyber world! Anyway, I had to comment on your post tonight because I live in Memphis and I am a frequent visitor at the Flying Saucer here. I think it’s so cute that y’all met there! Do you spend your anniversary sharing the fire sale together each year? How romantic! Anyway, you look beautiful in your wedding picture and thanks so much for sharing your food and your amazing weight loss story. You were definitely an inspiration for me to start my own blog!

Emily