Upping the Cals

by HEAB on August 10, 2009

Good Monday morning to you all!  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Q & A post.  There are still some unanswered HEAB questions out there, and I hope to get to them soon.

First off, I must mention a new blog that I love: Smoothie Girl Eats Too.  Deb, aka Smoothie Girl and I have been emailing back and forth for quite some time now. She has an amazing story and some great ideas (she introduced me to xanthan and guar gums – love them.).  Click here to read.  So excited for you Deb – it’s about time my friend! :)

As you know, CD and I are staying up in the mountains of Colorado.  We are surrounded by amazing trails, and between all the yoga, dog walking, hiking and Wii Fit (more about that in another post), I have had a huge appetite.  So, I’m listening to my body and eating more.

This may shock some of you, but…I am tired of oat bran.  Can you believe it?  Y’all, I totally OD’d on the stuff, and if I see another bowl of broccoli blended oat bran, I think I might puke.  Anyway, I’m currently digging the rolled oats.  I have a secret to share.  I DO NOT LIKE stove-top oats.  They used to be my breakfast of choice before I discovered oat bran.  However, I hate that layer of glue-like starch that forms when you cook them.  Blech.  And as far as the microwave goes, I try to avoid using it. CD and I don’t have one at home (not one that works anyway), and yes, I’m one of those paranoid freaks who thinks the micro-rays are shooting into my head causing brain cancer, etc.  Well, Polly reminded me of the perfect way to prepare a delicious bowl of oatmeal.  Add hot (almost boiling water) to your oats, and allow them to absorb the water until thick and creamy.  No glue or harmful rays included. Thanks Polly!

Rolled Oat Delight

Rolled Oat Delight

My favorite breakfast lately is 1 cup dry oats (Told you I was hungry, and anything less doesn’t do it for me these days.) cooked Polly style with 1/2 scoop Jay Robb vanilla rice protein powder stirred in and topped with 1/2 frozen banana shavings and a HUGE spoonful of Maranatha crunchy almond butter. Don’t fear the bigger portions, and if you’re hungry, eat.

Then there was this filling dinner prepared for me by CD.

HEAB eats beef.

HEAB eats beef over roasted cauliflower.

Chris was probably a bit surprised when I asked him to make a little extra of his beef Marinutta stir-fry for me as I rarely eat red meat, but after covering 10 miles on Saturday, I was craving a manly meal. :)  Thanks CD – it was delicious!

Exciting news to share: For any other bloggers/readers in the Denver or surrounding areas, Melissa and Kaneil have put together a dinner meet-up, this Thursday, August 13 at WaterCourse Foods in Denver at 6 PM.  Please email me if you’d like to join us.

VeggieGirl August 10, 2009 at 8:30 am

Kudos for continuing to listen to your body!!

Thanks for that blog link!!

veganfritz August 10, 2009 at 8:34 am

Overdose on oat bran, heh. I hear ya on that gluey film.

Erica August 10, 2009 at 8:40 am

I love how you are so in tune with what your body wants/needs! I love the idea of adding super hot/boiling water to oats. I need to try this- thank you for the suggestion! Have a wonderful day- hope you continue to enjoy your trip ;)

psychoj1 August 10, 2009 at 8:41 am

Love how you listen to your body!

Your rolled oats look fantastic!
<3 jess

Michelle @ Find Your Balance August 10, 2009 at 8:46 am

I don’t dig the microwave. In fact, we recently got rid of ours and it’s not too bad…getting used to using the toaster oven more. As for oats, my favorite way to eat for breakfast is to soak whole oat groats in water overnight. In the morning I dump in the blender and a milkly oat cereal emerges 10 seconds later!

balancejoyanddelicias August 10, 2009 at 8:47 am

I can’t believe you’re tired of oat bran!!! :D But I think that’s normal for someone who devours the same grain everyday for a long time! I’m seeing that happening to me someday (not soon)! Love the POlly method of preparing oatmeal, so simple and no mess on the stove! :)

One cup? I love big portion sizes meal~~~ you’re so right about feeding enough for days that we’re especially hungry! It’s always good to remind ourselves that our body is our best friend to know what we need.

Have a nice monday~

Lara (Thinspired) August 10, 2009 at 8:51 am

CD’s manly meal looks great. A girl needs a little red meat every once in a while, right?! ;)
I am checking out your friend’s blog straight after this! Just thinking about it is making me crave a smoothie!
I wish I was in Denver for the meet-up! I’ve been to Denver once and ate at a Ling & Louis. It was delicious :)

Kristin August 10, 2009 at 8:51 am

Oh hate that we missed the meet up in Denver! Just flew out of there yesterday after Wild West Relay. Looooooved Colorado!

freinetc August 10, 2009 at 9:09 am

I’d totally join you in Denver – big sigh – if there wasn’t an ocean inbetween. Reading your blog posts makes me miss CO so much… Have a great dinner!

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 10, 2009 at 9:09 am

It’s funny that you mention being a bit paranoid about using a microwave. I do use a microwave, but my parents have never owned one and totally think it does bad things to you. I have always thought they are a bit extreme when it comes to food and eating, so I didn’t listen for many years… But strangely, recently I feel really funny when I use the microwave and think I shouldn’t, so I have been using it less and less… It’s scary, I am turning into my parents after all…

Your dinner looks good. I’m sometimes totally surprised by what I feel like eating… But I find there is usually a reason, and when I listen to my body (and don’t insist on eating what I think I should eat), I feel much better.

Have fun at the dinner meet-up!

Cindy August 10, 2009 at 9:13 am

I get strangely alarmed when my body tells me to eat more… I don’t trust it…. but when it tells me to eat less…. sure, okay body!

it’s mental! I know.

I love a good beef dinner once in a blue moon…. I usually have a “bite” not a meal but some days…. dig in Mama!

Fish is my meat meal of choice these days and I am trying to learn to just EAT more of the main meal rather than have to find other items to add in!

and thank you, becasue I have finally managed to up my healthy fats! (without the mental issues) haha!

I have been eating my oats a la breakfast cookie and un cooked! I LOVE EM that way!

Marissa August 10, 2009 at 9:44 am

I don’t trust the “cancer box” either ;-)

There is one in my house but only the roommate uses it. In addition to my not thinking it is healthy, I also don’t think anything good comes out of the microwave. If I need food THAT fast I will just grab a piece of fruit and some nuts.

Have you tried steel cut oats? they’re my fave, but they take a while to cook. When I ate them everyday I would soak some overnight in some almond milk and they would be soft enough for me the next morning. MMMMMM

I just ate 2 zucchini, 2 tomatoes, and a squash plus a bunch of my vegan Parmesan…so I completely understand “large portions” ;-)

elise August 10, 2009 at 9:48 am

ive been wondering about guar and xantham gum for a while. any info will be greatly appreciated.

i def know what you mean about ODing on your fave foods. its sad when it happens bc sometimes it takes months and months for me to get that craving back…and in the meantime there arent things that adequately fill the void.

micros scare me too. my mom always told me if i have to use it, not to stand in front of it while its going. also, i only use glass in it. its not the best, but at least im (hopefully) avoiding eating plastic toxins, right? who knows…

polly August 10, 2009 at 9:56 am

yay meat and yay cup of oaty love. Love YOU, my friend!! I tell, simple is sweet. Hugs Hugs Hugs. I have all sorts of new plans for my blog (simple of course) and just wish you lived next door. Ready to move to Indiana yet? No sticky oaty film in this house.

confession: (hi Justine, I love it when she has confessions!) but mine… I heat my water in the microwave before dumping it on my oats. ;) I could do it on the stove but I admit zapping it in the micro wil almost boiling is so stinking fast.

Love you and hi to CD!!!! D and I watched Marley and Me last night… I want a puppy now. :D

Brandi August 10, 2009 at 10:12 am

i love rolled oats, too but don’t have time to cook them on the stove. i should try the boiling water….

Susan August 10, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’ve been exploring the wonders of red meat lately too. Don’t think I could eat it everyday, but it makes for a wonderfully filling and energizing treat!! Boiling water over oats is quite genius. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of that…

Ellen (Peace in Motion) August 10, 2009 at 10:29 am

mmm the bowl of oats looks yummy. Good for you for listening to what your body is telling you. It’s so hard to just give in and listen to it sometimes.

runeatrepeat August 10, 2009 at 10:38 am

Thanks for leading by example on your healthy eats & increasing when your body tells you :)

Rosey Rebecca August 10, 2009 at 10:51 am

I think it’s so amazing that you’re still on vacation! I love it! Your eats look fabulous!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 10, 2009 at 10:57 am

I don’t mind at all that you ate some of your man’s meat. You go girl ;)

Maria August 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

I’d like to hear more about this Wii fit that you’re doing! Kudos to you for upping those calories when there are so many activities going on :)

glidingcalm August 10, 2009 at 11:39 am

Sometimes I just crave meat…. so I listen to my body and have some!!! The only way my body is satisfied is by lots of fat and protein!!

hilar about oat bran. But I totally have food trends. At one moment I will eat it everyday for 2 weeks. Then I won’t touch it for a couple months. (See SEAWEED SALAD…so sick of my homemade kind! ha!)

justrun August 10, 2009 at 11:45 am

That is exactly how I make my oatmeal… every stinkin’ day. :)

I don’t think I’ll be able to make it up to Denver on Thursday (poo) but since you’re so close, we should still try to meet up if you’d like. I’m doing the PP Ascent this Saturday but otherwise I’ll be in town all month.

Lesley

Laura August 10, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Heather, i must say you and CD are quite perfect on the where-are-we-going-to-spend-our-holidays challenge. I so looove the yurt you are staying in! And that walk the other morning? So sad I missed it!
But i WOULD fly all the way there if you promise me some oats “a la HEAB mode” as a treat ;)
oatbran, rolled oats, wtv, you have the power!

Great post with the Q&A aswell. You are always so genuine and sincere, it really makes me feel like you have such a kind heart!

I love the way you understand your body. I think I need that so much :( And upping the calls with no regrets? Amaziing! You do deserve it with that much activity. I’m in need for some of that confidence too.
I’ve been feeling so bad latelly because i’m lacking some yoga time in my day :( Working at my father’s restaurant in this season gets me tired and although i say to myself that’s no excuse, sometimes i just can’t resist giving up that yoga time – that often really makes me feel better and re-energized!
I know, i’m a mess..! And talking way too much already for a simple comment !

Well HEAB, keep us tunned, because I start dreaming of some lovelly walks and big breaths of fresh air everytime I open your page :)

JB August 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm

i never use a microwave either. i have absolutely no need for one! nothing i make ever requires microwave usage. my roommate and i aren’t going to have one in our new apartment. have a happy monday, HEAB!

-JB

Anna August 10, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I hear ya! I haven’t touched oatmeal or oatbran in over a month. It just doesn’t feel right when it’s 90 degrees out! And, it takes me waaaay to long to digest. I’m sure I’ll come back to it eventually.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm

You seem really successful at eating intuitively! What a great way to be. I can totally identify with wanting a “manly meal” every once in a while. Though I crave meat less and less each day (not really on purpose), when the craving for meat does come along, I usually want red meat…I guess for its being nutrient-dense and all. After a wee dose, though, I’m back to my old roastie-lovin tricks! Just a happy veggie eater most of the time, but I agree with you that one should eat when hungry–and eat what it is your body wants too!

Alison August 10, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I wonder if you needed iron when you craved meat. I think that our cravings often (not always) match our nutritional needs. One time my roommate craved smoked salmon. Very odd.

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 10, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I hear ya on sometimes just needing to eat more. I usually indicate this by saying, “I want MOAR!” heh. You dinner looks delightful, too :)

Adi (oatonomy.com) August 10, 2009 at 3:31 pm

So that sludgey layer on stove top oats you don’t like? Umm, I love that part about it! Haha! :)

I’ll have to try the Polly version of oat-cooking though, because my interested is peaked… hmm…

Abby August 10, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Finally someone else who eats more than 1/3 cup of oats :) . I know everyone is different, but if I have oats for breakfast I require a cup of oats (with soymilk and fruit or AB or something)to help sustain me in the morning. Sometimes I worry it’s too much, but have to listen to my body and remember we’re all different!

I was totally sick of “normal” oats and took a break from them for a bit, returning after finding the “overnight oats” craze. WAY good and a great change. Completely different taste, and I was hooked again.

Melissa S. August 10, 2009 at 3:58 pm

oh i hate stove top oats too. always microwave…or using the bowling water method.

dinner looks fab too. :)

missyrayn August 10, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I hear you on the some days you just have to eat more. It doesn’t do the body any good to ignore it as long as you aren’t stuffing it with junk.

I do the oats in the microwave to save time but I hear you on the film with stovetop oats. I might have to try the hot water method sometime.

ksgoodeats August 10, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Haha – I’m the total opposite for two reasons. 1. I love when my oats glue together and 2. I LOVE utilizing the microwave :)

Glad you’re listening to your body and honoring your hunger!

The Fit Collegiate August 10, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Lots of fresh air always makes me ravenous, too. Hope your vacation is still going well!

I try to alternate oatmeal/oatbran so as not to tire of either (although truthfully, oatbran is my favorite). Just take an oatbran hiatus for a week and soon enough you’ll be craving the stuff again!

Maggie August 10, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Tired of oat bran?? I’ve been on a 3/4 cup + protein powder kick.

I’ve been digging the ground beef recently. It can be quite delicious. Bobby is always surprised/happy when I eat meat.

How much water do you add to the oats when you “cook” them that way? And they’re just regular rolled oats, not instant?

Lainie August 10, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I can’t believe you are sick of oatbran! I envy your relationship with your body; truly, I mean that! It’s amazing how in-tune you seem to be with it, and more importantly, it’s amazing that you actually listen to it. I think I could learn a few things from you!

kathleen August 10, 2009 at 5:34 pm

i am so jealous of the yurt! i am in denver and would love to meet up with everyone on thursday…let me know the details.

livingfreeforever August 10, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Man ,I would love to meet up with you guys for dinner but Virginia is a little too far away:( Enjoy though! CD’s dinner looks so yummy! You are blessed to have a hubby that cooks. Mine does some and it is SO helpful.

lola August 10, 2009 at 6:24 pm

hi heather!
So how long do you keep those oats soaking in the water?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 10, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I try not to use my microwave either but I’m a mom and sometimes dinner veggies need to be lightly steamed for a 2 yr olds palate and there is no quicker way. Or whatever needs to be done quickly, so yeah I use it. I wish I didn’t but I do. Hopefully the waves won’t kill too many brain cells! Thanks for the oatmeal tip, too. I make husband oatmeal on weekend mornings, will try this next weekend. Well, I should actually thank Polly! Enjoy your Manly Beef meals while hiking the back 40 out there in mountain country (although I did a triple take when I saw that picture on my screen!) :)
Averie

justine August 10, 2009 at 7:18 pm

HEABS? Tired of oat bran? Is that really you over there? I feel you on that front though :) . Your bowl of regular oats does look yummy. As does CD’s dinner. Whats in that mix? Love you HEABS. Need you in my life :)

~Justine

Emily August 10, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Glad you and CD are having a fun time in the wilderness! I actually got a little sick of oats, and it is so hot here, I can’t fathom eating them unless they are in the form of a breakfast cookie.

Marycela August 10, 2009 at 8:12 pm

haha I never quite knew what to call that film. Also, thanks for sharing the link to the new blog, I’m enjoying it myself as well.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 10, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Haha, well I’m glad you are listening to yourself and no eating things you are sick of!

I did stove top oats for a while but I got tired of those so I’m back to microwaving them. But I got tired of bananas, so tomorrow I’m starting with blueberries and I also have some apples to chop up to put in my oats this week. It’s the only time I eat fruit really throughout the day so I’m needing some variety ;-)

Have a great week!

Carolyn August 10, 2009 at 8:51 pm

..ok i’ll say it.. i love my microwave and could not live easily without it… BUT i do have a little square plastic thing sitting on top of it, by the door, about as big as a book of matches… If you put it inside the micro while it is running it lights up like a blinking christmas bulb… and supposedly if it’s leaking that blinking will start when the waves hit it outide… So i feel somewhat protected…

Travel Channel last night late… program about “Wild China’… rustice mongolian horse guys living in the wild… guess what they whipped out and set up? A Yurt… i must have fallen aleep because i missed the part where they wheeled in a full size fridge and stuff… like yours… :-)

Becky August 10, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Yay for listening to your body!! :) The regular oats look yummy and I see CD is quite the cook! Glad you are having a good time in Colorado! I would love to meet up here in Denver, but I am actually leaving Thurs. night for a long weekend of hiking 14-ers in the Crestone Peaks area. Single tear :(
Have a great rest of your vacation!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 10, 2009 at 9:14 pm

That dinner looks amazing. I don’t eat red meat very often either, but every once in a while I just want a good steak or some bison!! I love BIG filling meals after a good workout! So well deserved!

Ozlen August 10, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Soo what is the verdict on the nustevia?? Please do shae sometime. I like chia bran but I think the seeds work just fine. My fav. combo oat bran chia seeds or bran for the moment and ABU… YUMM..

Thanks!

Deb August 10, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Genius with shaved frozen nanners! Good for you eating meat when it’s what you crave- and handing you caloric destiny over to you spouse takes some guts- I know it all too well. But it feels good too. Can your oats that are just combined with hot water be those big ol’ fat old fashioned kind?very interesting!

yogiclarebear August 10, 2009 at 10:45 pm

can i suggest cornmeal? i did cornmeal, oats, and oat bran with cherries and…fresh shucked corn! so delish.

Shelby August 10, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Great job for listening to your body and upping the cals! My body has been the total opposite lately. I haven’t been able to eat more that a few bits of anything. And forget almond butter (GASP) that stuff makes me feel so sick now!

I do love me some rolled oats though!

Samantha August 11, 2009 at 5:36 am

Oohh another blog to check out!

That dish looks so amazing, 2nds are understandable and your body earned it and then some.

ttfn300 August 11, 2009 at 6:06 am

way to listen to your body, it’s no wonder it’s still hungry after all the exploring you’ve been doing :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) August 11, 2009 at 9:14 am

1 c. of oats? Sounds *perfect.* :D

RunToFinish August 11, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I enjoyed the q&a as always, it’s fun and helpful to hear more from healthy folks!!

Pam August 11, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I can’t believe you are tired of oat bran! Congrats on listening to your body. It can be so hard sometimes.

Erin August 11, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Wow. How fun to up the cals! Jealous! :) Isn’t it crazy how we can instantly be so sick of something we love? Sad!

Deb August 13, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I tried your HEABified/Polly-fied hot-water soaked oats today- super yummy!! I agree…better than the carby-film that forms. Plus it seemed to fluff up a lot (good for volume!) I did also take a note from you and add a bit of cauli. Yum.

Also, I wanted to thank you soooo much for the link-in to my little blogette. In the past couple of days I’ve had some nice folks stop by- you are a huge inspiration and I’m grateful to have you as a “mentor” :-)

Keep on enjoying. I’m still having internet woes- I don’t know about you!

{ 3 trackbacks }