Internet Down

by HEAB on August 11, 2009

HEABers, what’s up?!?  Our Internet has been down at the Trump Tent for about 24 hours now, but that’s a good thing.  What have we been doing you ask?  Well, let’s see…

Lots of hiking.

IMG_2979IMG_2975Then last night, Jon and Lola, an extremely cool couple who own a cabin near our Yurt, had us over for dinner.  CD instantly bonded with them when he learned their son won the Heisman trophy a few years back and played for the Bears, his favorite football team.  They are retired and spend the winters in Florida and their summers up here in Woodland Park.  Their cabin has no running water or electricity, and I was in awe as I watched them prepare us the most amazing grilled halibut dinner (of which I took no pictures. :( )  After dinner, Jon took CD out on his dirt bike to show him some of the local trails.

CD in all his gear.

CD in all his gear. Check out the outhouse in the background. No indoor plumbing either!

I’ve also been rolling with some oats.

Chocolate protein chia oats in the PB jar.

Chocolate protein chia oats in the PB jar.

I’m working on perfecting my rolled oats chia method.  This batch was too gel-like.  Next bowl was betta…

Filling Fats...I wish!

Filling Fats...I wish!

For this bowl, I made The Hungry Yogini’s Coconoats.  I poured 1 1/2 cups hot water over 1 cup dry rolled oats.  After the oats had absorbed most of the water (about 10 minutes), I added 2 TBSP chia seeds and 2 TBSP regular coconut milk. The plan was to let it thicken for about 15 minutes…well, I didn’t get back to my bowl for about an hour, and by then, it was super thick.  I topped it off with 1/2 chopped avocado and enjoyed every bite.  However, I was still hungry afterwards.  What’s the deal people?  I feel like all I do here is eat.  Whatever – at least everything tastes yummy. :)

OK, off to answer some emails and then get back up to the Yurt.  I’m currently sitting at Starbucks, but I have a date with CD and the pups here in a little while. Happy Tuesday my friends, and don’t forget about the blogger/reader meet-up dinner this Thursday, August 13 at WaterCourse Foods in Denver at 6 PM.  Please email me if you’d like to join us.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) August 11, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Yay! Coconoats!! With avocado…love it. Gonna have to try it for sure!

brandi August 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

awesome, awesome views. and what a fun night with that couple with an outhouse :) sounds like some of the people that live down the road from me – no joke.

Tiffany S. August 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Wow – I bet you didn’t complain about your disfunctional internet access to those folks. I’m not a four-star hotel girl but I do like my indoor plumbing (and internet access). It is a compliment to you both that strangers had you to dinner (but who wouldn’t?).

Shelby August 11, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Mmm coconoats! Looks delish!

You are GLOWING in that picture girl!!! Love it =)

VeggieGirl August 11, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Haha love that photo of you and CD!! Looks like you’re with a Star Wars storm trooper ;-)

Maria August 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Did I mention that I was jealous of your vacation spot? ;) Once again, the view and everything is amazingly gorgeous, Heather!

Hehe, love that the oats are overflowing the Smuker’s jar. Yum yum!

MarathonVal August 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Haha, I have no idea which player you are referring to but I know whoever it is my Bears-fanatic hubby would be very excited about it! Speaking of, if you home exchangers ever want to visit Chicago we live within a stones’ throw of Soldier Field ;)

I am trying to convince the hubby of the benefits of the home exchange but he still refuses to let anyone stay at our place regardless of the sweet digs we would get in return… oh, silly men, *sigh*….

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 11, 2009 at 2:47 pm

You all look so cute in that pic! Looks like vacation is treating you well :)

Melissa G August 11, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Insatiable appetite comes from the altitude! You’ll probably get used to it right when you leave for home. Just enjoy it now and eat lots!:) … see you Thursday!

Cindy August 11, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Dirt bike riding in the mountains….

GAWD I am jealous!

I think you should trade your yoga pants for some bike pants too!

(love your flow-wy scarf tho)

maybe higher altitude =’s HUNGER?

maybe? and I LOVE the outhouse in the background!

way fun!

Erica August 11, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Girl you look SO healthy and beautiful! All that fresh air is treating you well! No electricity or running water? Itzy couldn’t handle! Love the oats in the jar!

Tricia August 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I’ve been lurking here for a while, but I just had to de-lurk to say that I went to high school with Greg Olsen from the Bears.

Depending on how high up you are, your body could be reacting to the cooler temperatures than its used to by trying to store some fat to keep you warm (or burning more fuel to keep you warm). You look beautiful though.

psychoj1 August 11, 2009 at 3:06 pm

That Yurt is so cool! You look gorgeous in that picture girl!
<3 jess

Jess August 11, 2009 at 3:10 pm

You look so good! I think your body is just agreeing with Colorado and all the fresh air in the altitude!

It looks like an amazing time and I hope you’re having a blast! :D

veganfritz August 11, 2009 at 3:16 pm

dirt biking, that’s straight up yurtin’ it eh?

missyrayn August 11, 2009 at 3:33 pm

An entire summer with no running water…that’s brave. As a kid my grandparent’s beach cottage had no water and an outhouse. I did everything I could to stay at the beach all day and not to have to use the outhouse. But it was fun memories with family.

Tell me more about chocolate oats… I have added chocolate powder to oats before but your’s look different.

Deb August 11, 2009 at 3:36 pm

You look great in that photo and so does Darth Vader.

Sweet of those people to invite you over for dinner! How gracious!

The oats in the jar was droolicious looking. Bummer that the other one didn’t fill you up, but honestly Heabs, you are burning crazy cals so I’m sure that’s why you’re hungrier. I often find too, that when I’m on vacation my stomach is a bottomless pit aka the Bermuda triangle. Trips stress me out for that reason, and yet I love to travel- catch 22!

I’m having MA-JOR internet woes too- perhaps the cord-chewing gremlin that’s invaded my house has a distant and evil cousin who’s invading your Bucks!

Keep on enjoying!

Deb

JB August 11, 2009 at 3:38 pm

i finally bought some chia seeds! i made holiday chia pudding with them, and now i have to make chia oats someday soon! so excited! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 11, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Wow what a view! Soo pretty. Your lunch (snack?) sounds great!

carolinebee August 11, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Boo Heather, I’m in Boston not Denva! :D CD looks very badass in all that gear, that’s so awesome that u guys have cool Yurt-neighbors!

Pam (Highway to Health) August 11, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Your pictures are gorgeous! It’s always nice to meet new friends. Glad you are having a good time.

Samantha August 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Great pic…I love CD’s gear! And you look just radiant dear!

What interesting people to meet along the way. Such a memory filled trip!

buffmuffy August 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Gosh the scenery looks so amazing!
my bf saw your oats and was like ew … then he saw it was in a pb jar LOL … he is like “okay that actually sounds good since its the kind of pb i use!” lol boys.
-muffy

fartygirl August 11, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for the chia recipe! I’m a rolled oatie as well, and have wanted to know how to eat the chia with them so they get all thick. So far my attempts have been crappy. I think I was adding too much water. Anyway, thanks!

Holly August 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Heather! I can’t find your email address, but tentatively put me down for Thursday!! WaterCourse is actually a block away from the house I just moved out of a week ago! I will be there unless something comes up. I already know what I want. :) Looking forward to it!! Holly

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 11, 2009 at 5:12 pm

My husband would have been in HOG heaven if he ran into a guy who was a Bears fan (that is my hub’s only “thing” he does anymore that I think is lame…watch football, and if that’s the worst, I’ve got it good:) but the father of a Bear who won a Heisman…oh it would have been a dream come true.

Your hair looks super cute. It looks so blonde and flowey and pretty. CO is agreeing with your skin and hair! You look awesome!

Oh and thx for posting the chia seed link again, I am gonna order soon.
averie

Marycela August 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm

CD looks funny in the pic lol, glad you are enjoying the outdoors.
PS your coconoats look delish.

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I love the pictures! I love hiking while being surrounded by beautiful nature… My hikes around here are okay, but nothing compared to your scenery….

Enjoy your Internet-free time! ;)

polly August 11, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Heab peach, you are the CUTEST thing ever in that picture!! Seriously, the description of cuteness!!!

I gotta try the avocado on top oats. I am just so attatched to my peach toppings at the moment. Love you and hope you got my email from early today. You are my sister pie, ya know.

Halibut sounds yum, maybe I’ll make some just for the Hal-i-but. ;)

XOXOXOXOXOOXXOXOXO

p.s. Yes girl, I understand about oats not filling you up! I am happy when they carry me for 3 hours! I love to leave them sit on the counter soaking up while I take a shower. I used 1.75 cups water today and let them sit for like 20 minutes. They were still warm and peeeeerfect.

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 11, 2009 at 5:50 pm

GuacamOATle? Hmmm…

I find it so funny that you are “eating the whole time” but yet you just didn’t get back to your oat bowl for an hour. An abandoned bowl of oats would definitely have met someone’s tummy in my house after an hour…but maybe not if I put avocado on it. Genius!!!

Susan August 11, 2009 at 6:17 pm

oh my gosh…that oats in a jar photo should be illegal. Too delicious looking!!!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) August 11, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Counting the moments until I am back in the woods. Looks gorgeous, as do you! Amazing how radiant the healthy peeps always look.

runeatrepeat August 11, 2009 at 7:28 pm

I love the pics, beautiful!

HIRun August 11, 2009 at 8:12 pm

The Yurt looks awesome. Is there a website where I can find out more info about the Yurt and maybe make reservations for a future trip.

WholeBodyLove August 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I have yet to try your new method for oats…I’m so inpatient! It sounds like you met a lovely couple! I love meeting people that are interesting and vivacious!

Melissa S. August 11, 2009 at 9:17 pm

CD looks awesome!

Linda August 11, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Hi there Heather!

Aww man, love your scenery pics….you are never gonna want to leave and I wouldn’t blame you!

You are so pretty! That is a great pic of you and CD… :D

Coconuts look cocoamazing! Thanks for sharing how you made them.

Becky August 11, 2009 at 9:21 pm

The hikes look beautiful! Isn’t it fun meeting random, really nice people when you’re on vacation? Halibut-yummmm :) Cute pic of you and CD. You look so good for camping in the wilderness. :)

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Loving the meals as usual, they all look amazing! Awesome pic of you and CD, you guys are too cute. CD looks a little intimidating in that gear though LoL.

yogiclarebear August 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm

DA BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin August 12, 2009 at 3:14 am

Thank god the internet was down!
CD looks hilarious :)
You have the best hair!

Meghann August 12, 2009 at 6:55 am

LOVE your outfit in that picture!! Looks like something I would throw together and you hair looks lovely as well.

Holly August 12, 2009 at 7:00 am

You look so beautiful!!! And I love your outfit. You look gorgeous in nature, while I look….harsh. :-)

Mmmm, I’m LOVIN’ avocados these days – seriously! I’ve never tried it in oats, though. And I’m sure the hunger has to do with all of those intense hikes. Hey, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do to feel satisfied…ya know??

Metta August 12, 2009 at 7:16 am

I don’t know much about high altitude (I live in FL), but maybe since your body is acclimating to the higher altitude it is burning more calories than when you are in Nashville. You might level out the longer you are in Colorado.

Rose August 12, 2009 at 8:37 am

Can I just say that I love your style. You always look really comfortable, and that’s the key to style in my book :)

Lainie August 12, 2009 at 9:33 am

What lovely views – and an adorable picture of you and your hub. You’re beautiful! Avocado and oats sounds…interesting! I’m sure I would probably like (I like almost anything), but I admit, it sounds very different! Hope you’re having a blast in good ol Colorado…

fitforfree August 12, 2009 at 10:36 am

CD’s eyes behind that helmet are the funniest thing ever . . .

Glad you’re meeting fun people, going on hikes, eating good food, and enjoying vac.!!

Angharad August 12, 2009 at 11:00 am

Just been catching up with your posts after being out of town this weekend and now I feel satisfied and warm in my tummy :)
Loved reading your FAQs on weight maintenance and how you and CD met – completely adorable!
I can’t believe how balling your yurt looks – not what I was expecting! Ha ha.

hayleycepeda August 12, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Have I ever told you how much I love the way you dress? You always look so put-together in a funky, eclectic sort of way. Do you highlight your hair or is that natural? It looks SO good!! Sorry to hear your ‘net is down…hope it’s back soon! :)

Allison August 12, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Can we ask the name of the Heisman winner?? I’m a huge college football fan and can’t figure out who it could be!

Therese August 12, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I have know, was the player Rashawn Salaam? My husband is a die hard Bears fan so I had to quiz his knowledge! He said Rashawn was the last Heisman winner to play for the Bears and he also went to Colorado :)

I’m more partial to TIm Tebow of the Gators lol.

That oatmeal looks awesome…must try the oats in PB jar!

amyjogo August 12, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Hey! I’ve been reading your blog now for a few months and love it. I lived in Woodland Park for a few months several years ago. It’s a beautiful community! If you get the chance, I recommend you guys visit Manitou Springs where they have lots of small shops, a penny arcade and eateries.

Enjoy your visit,
~amy

bobbi August 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm

love the view, and love your outfit, you always look so cute Heather!!!

ttfn300 August 13, 2009 at 5:58 am

why have i still not tried chia seeds?? ~sigh~ love the hiking photos!

Carolyn August 14, 2009 at 8:07 pm

LERVE the outfit!…Yours HEABS (but yours is cute too Chris)…cute green top especially

{ 1 trackback }