I'm Completely Out of Jay Robb

by HEAB on August 15, 2009

Travesty indeed!  Between myself and CD, we have polished off 1 bag of vanilla Jay Robb and 1 canister of chocolate Sun Warrior rice protein powder since arriving in Colorado 3 weeks ago.  Yes, even CD is cutting back on dairy, avoiding whey protein powder as well as his beloved Parm.  I usually have at least 2 scoops a day of the rice stuff. Love it so much, and I was quite sad to finish it off last night. Thankfully, I had a back-up plan…

2817700159We had a small stash of single serving packets of the NutriBiotic vanilla brown rice protein.  Check out the ingredients & nutritional info:

SupFactNB159Not too shabby, huh?  I love the simple ingredient list.  The major difference between the NutriBiotic brand and other brown rice protein powders I’ve used is the absence of stevia. So, although not sweet, it added a rather pleasant vanilla flavor to my oats this morning.  I’ve tried their chocolate powder before, but I think I prefer the vanilla. I’m still Jay’s #1 fan, but the NutriBiotic products seem to be more readily available in most areas.  In fact, as far as I know, the only place you can purchase the Jay Robb rice protein is online.   Jay, come on now…it’s time to spread the rice love! :)

No picture of my oats this morning as you’ve seen it all before.  However, before I head out on my long hike, I wanted to share with you some oatgurt success!

mailScott and Christina, my Oatie loving HEAB readers used their yogurt maker to make their own delicious batch of oatgurt. Both Scott and I agree that the key to oatgurt success is keep the amount of added water to a minimum.  I’ve received so many emails recounting oatgurt disasters, and when I get home I plan to update my recipe page with exact oat groat and water measurements.  What about you?  Have you tried oatgurt yet?  I miss it so!

CD, maybe we should invest in a yogurt maker. That way, I won’t burn the house down using our Costco HeatDish. ;)

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

A yogurt maker is not an investment Heather Pie…It’s a purchase.

VeggieGirl August 15, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I have PLENTY of Sun Warrior left – want ‘em??

Heather (be well & take care) August 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm

CD’s comment of the day is perfect since he works in finance, huh? I still need to try Sun Warrior. Oh, and get more Jay Robb, for sure. I like the NutriBiotic okay but it’s a little chalky compared to the Jay Robb. I keep scouring WF for his stuff but no luck. Then again, I’m perfectly satisfied with my dirt, I mean, hemp protein.

Shelby August 15, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Bleh, I hate NutriBiotic! I have a chocolate in the cabinet just sitting there with nothing to do. I’m sorry you ran out of your beloved protein powders though! I hope you find more soon!!!

Chocolate-Covered Katie August 15, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Oh no! Jay Robb is out of your life?! Whatever will you do???? Please, Jay, visit Heather again soon!!!!!!

michelle August 15, 2009 at 3:44 pm

hi, you had answered a few questions of mine about which kind of powder you used and why, i ended up buying this one. i went with an unflavored type, they didnt have choc or vanilla. or else i would have wanted that! then i wouldnt have to flavor it so much.its kinda hard to eat…im not up to being able to drink shakes and when i bake with it, well ist still pretty bad, ill keep trying though. you had suggested the sun warrior kind, i looked that up and the nut. info was really amazing! but…. you have to get a two pound container!! eek. did you mention something about selling it? or something like that?

luckytastebuds August 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm

you and CD never cease to make me smile! :) hahaha I’m debating whether to get a yogurt maker or not, but i think it would be way more worth it for you since you can’t buy oatgurt…ANYWHERE! heheheh

I think Jay Robb should pay you for all the endorsements! Maybe put your picture on his website AND his rice protein products. hehehehe

Tiffany S. August 15, 2009 at 3:51 pm

CD gives financial advice with such love. You two are TOO cute.

I’ve already said this but when I run out of whey powder, I’m trying this: http://www.unikeyhealth.com/product/fat_flush_body_protein/smoothie_shakedown

(I have no relation to unikey except that I started ordering my whey powder from them and just stuck with it. I don’t even know if it’s expensive compared to anyone else – I’ll compare with Jay Robb now).

Carolyn August 15, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Would Scott and Christina be willing to divulge exactly which yogurt maker they have that did so well? ….she said, clutching her bag of oat groats in anticipation

and maybe the timing etc they used with it and the groats…
i want success!!

Had to make a WFd’s trip for whey protein myself today! Dangerously low… (and you’re right, no rice protein in store…)

Tracy August 15, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Hi Heather!

Looks like you and CD are having a great time in CO.! The Yurts look so cool!

My fav protein powder chocolate Ultramet made by Champion Nutrition. Unfortunately, it contains whey, and I’m trying to lower my dairy consumption. I’ve switched to Nutribiotic vanilla brown rice protein powder. I like it okay, but iIt doesn’t compare to Ultramet.

I was curious to try Jay Robb rice protein, so I contacted them and they sent me some samples. How nice of Jay! I loved it, it’s just not in the budget at the moment. :( I’ve seen Jay Robb products at Kroger and Whole Foods.

Tracy

Maria August 15, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I tried making oatgurt with great success :) But unfortunately, my parents are afraid of th Costco Heat Dish for the same reasons as you are! I shall invest in a yogurt maker too, hehe!

Jay should definitely spread the rice protein :)

Gina G August 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

hey heather! im sorry i havent introduced myself before! my name is gina and i am 17, and i love your blog. i have been reading it for a real good while now! I also wanted you to know that i have seen mr. jay rob at kroger =)

Katie August 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I am so happy for you and CD! Both going dairy free…good for you! :)

livingfreeforever August 15, 2009 at 5:31 pm

I have taken a break from oatgurt but may need to have some ASAP:) You KNOW I LOVE IT! I have wondered about making it in a yogurt maker but haven’t tried it. I have also used the rice protein powder, but I think I prefer the chocolate:)Have a great weekend!
XOXO

Lainie August 15, 2009 at 5:58 pm

No more Jay Robb? Sad!!! I mentioned putting Jay Robb in a smoothie and my mom wrote asking me who “Jay Robbie” is – lol. I’ve yet to try oatgurt…I want to…put I’m kind of afraid!!! One of these days I will though :)

glidingcalm August 15, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I gotta get more Jay Robb. Only have had product samples before!!

Is that brand cheaper than Jay Robb??

I love your foodie trends. I wouldn’t call them “ruts” because that would put a negative ring on things….but I like that you are a creature of habit like me!!!

LOVE YOU HEAB. Have a great rest of your weekend!!

Metta August 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Love CD’s comment. It gave me a nice laugh out loud chuckle. :D

Deb August 15, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Really? 55cals for the prot? Must be a tiny tiny envelope!? Hmm a yogurt maker?remember how cd nearly died when u bought the vitamix but ended up loving it! Perhaps same could happen w/ a yogurt machine?

Have a great night!
Deb

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 15, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I have the NutriBiotic Plain. Not recommended! It’s one of my first blog posts, actually. I still have this ginormous gallon size of it and the plain flavor is so….plain. And I can’t get it to dissolve very well. I guess the vanilla Nurtibiotic would have been the way to go. Duh, shoulda bought that instead.

Anyway, Jay Robb is sold at various musclehead and supplement shops here in San Diego (Jay’s office is just 15 mins north of San Diego though so maybe that’s why) but even here locally, it’s more common to see the whey or even egg, the brown rice vanilla sells out of retail stores fast. In fact today I was gonna grab a bag at this local vitamin store and the clerk said he just sold his last bag of Jay vanilla brown rice 20 mins prior…darn I missed it. Good thing I am not completely out. And I also ordered some chocolate Sun Warrior (broke down and spent the cash on it) so we shall see how that stacks up to Jay. I’m happy the vanilla nutribiotic works for you…good to know!
Averie

Erica August 15, 2009 at 8:48 pm

oh no! Time for a trip to the store! Can’t live without Jay Robb’s huge muscles!!!! ;) Glad you had some back up though. Have a good night :)

Scott in Ohio August 15, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Hey Heather! Thanks for the oatgurt picture shout-out! Too cool.

Carolyn, the yogurt maker we have is a Yogourmet 2 quart maker. We bought it from Amazon a year or so ago and love it.

As to the timing, etc., I pretty much followed Heather’s recipe to the letter. The groats were soaked overnight and then blended, blended, blended, the next morning. Water was added to the blender in tablespoon increments just to keep the groats spinning.

As I recall, the oatgurt fermented from Saturday morning to breakfast early on Monday morning. Awesome breakfast with some AB, cinnamon, and chopped up apple!

Good luck!

buffmuffy August 15, 2009 at 9:22 pm

haha not an investment. lol.
i think i have seen the jay robb protein powder at whole foods in the rice version, but i may have been mistaken.
ah well, glad youre having a blast still in CO!
-muffy

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 15, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Would you believe I haven’t tried the brown rice protein yet? The stats on Nutribiotic are phenomenal, though. I am adding “yogurt maker” to my prospective investments, next to Vita Mix, dehydrator and Hudson jeans. At least I have my priorities straight :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, HEAB!

fartygirl August 15, 2009 at 10:03 pm

That’s the rice protein I use! Glad to see that it’s satisfying other mouths as well. :)

WholeBodyLove August 15, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I have been living in the dark ages! I had no idea yogurt makers even existed. But, CD, it would be an investment in your health… I feel the same about yoga studio fees :)

Ozlen August 15, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Quick question Heather.. I fully intend to make my oatgurt. But I do not own a heat dish Costco or other brand. I also do not own a yogurt maker.. Do you think there may be hope for me? I do not plan to purchase either. But I was thinking of wrapping the bowl in blanket and placing in the oven where it is dark and warm. That is where I raise my pizza and bread dough when I make it. Do you that may work??

Also.. I am intterested in purchasing a vitamix.. I know you love yours but do not see you using it much. what do you use it for mostly?? Thanks!

Carolyn August 16, 2009 at 6:13 am

Thanks Scott (in Ohio) !!! The Yogourmet is now Yo-ordered… ;-) Carolyn (in Michigan)

Faith August 16, 2009 at 6:45 am

ARE WE ON THE SAME WAVE LENGTH?? i ran out yesterday too and was looking for it EVERYWHERE!!!!!! i need a JR 911 hotline :)

Jessica August 16, 2009 at 9:13 am

Haha I love CD’s comment. And I love the nutrition info for the NutriBiotic protein powder you mentioned! I’ll admit I’m a complete Spirutein Vanilla fan, but it has every vitamin known to mankind packed in it and about twelve billion ingredients so the label always overwhelms me haha.

I guess I got lucky not making an oatgurt disaster. Thanks again for the recipe! :)

Linda August 16, 2009 at 10:10 am

I’m waiting on bated breath to read your exact measurments and instructions on how to make oatgurt, cause I’m dying to try it!

I’ve seen Jay rob Brown rice powder at Sprouts, do you have one in your area?

psychoj1 August 16, 2009 at 11:31 am

Love CD’S comment! Sorry you ran out, but glad you had a substitute!
<3 jess

Samantha August 16, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I got hooked on Jay Robb when we lived in Ann Arbor, Whole Foods there kept a good variety stocked. Still searching for a rice based protein here on island that doesn’t make me gag!

Never even seen a yogurt maker…something else to check out!

Justine August 17, 2009 at 7:32 am

Man a hike sounds great right now. You know this momma loves some oatgurt. I always used a lot of water because I would heat mine in the mic. and it would absorb it all. Heabs, I have not been on the computer all weekend! Can you believe it?

CD, get your sweet, sweet woman a yogurt maker and subscription to Clean Eating!!! If you were my wife I totally would get you both :)

Heabers, can you believe I haven’t had oats in like weeks?? Crazy!!

Love You,
Justine

MizFit August 17, 2009 at 9:23 am

I love the jay robb.

however I think I loved him MORE before I saw the Robb on twitter.

sometimes it’s better not to know the man behind the brand :)

Marissa August 17, 2009 at 11:12 am

I was a Parmesan addict until I went dairy free. This is not the same as Parm, but I am not addicted to it…and I use it JUST like I did the Parm!

Christina, Scott's wife, (in Ohio) - lol) August 17, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Marissa! That parm recipe looks soooooo good. I’m going to try it on our next batch of pasta (brown rice pasta, of course!)

Thanks for the link!

Hugs to you, HEAB :)

broccolihut August 17, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Hmm I wasn’t a fan of the NutriBiotic chocolate, but maybe I should give the vanilla a try?

Kaysie August 18, 2009 at 7:31 am

Yes I tried the oatgurt and loved it! With frozen banana, almond butter, and homemade almond milk… it was delicious and very filling!

{ 1 trackback }