Mountain Workouts

by HEAB on August 18, 2009

Wow, thank you so much for all your comments on my refueling post.  You guys brought up some great points, and I enjoyed reading the discussions.  Many of truly enjoy cardio, and I think that is awesome.  Again, I have nothing against exercise…our bodies were made to  move.  However, it makes me really sad to watch people continuously overexercise, pushing themselves to their max everyday and then filling their bodies with packaged processed crap.  Our bodies were NOT made for that.  It’s all about balance my friends and trusting our bodies.  Don’t be afraid to listen, okay?

Just wanted to share with you some of the workouts I’ve been doing while in Colorado.  There are daily walks, usually with the dogs, but I try and hit the trails when I can for some Heather time.  In Nashville, I get bored with long walks, but here? I’ll cover anywhere from 3 to 10 miles daily, and I really don’t think I could ever tire of the mountains.  Yoga is a part of my Colorado life as well, usually every other day.  Some days, I’ll do a flow of my own, but otherwise, I stick with my favorite Peanut Butter Flow or a 30 minute class from YogaDownload…the Ashtanga power one kicks my booty!  I’ve missed my time in the studio, but on Sunday, Chris and I drove down to Colorado Springs, so that I could meet up with the girls for a 60 minute hot yoga flow class at CorePower Yoga.

Sweaty Post Yoga Girls

Sweaty Post Yoga Girls

So fun to get in some girl time.  I met up with Cindy (who placed 3rd overall in the Pike’s Peak Ascent race the day before!), and Jillian.  Jillian and I met last year while CD and I were staying in Colorado, and we’ve gotten to know each other through our blogs over the past year.  The yoga class was perfect.  There was flow. There was sweat, and there were 3 or 4 teachers walking around the room doing adjustments.  Although it felt as hot as hell, I was in heaven. :)

We then met up with the guys afterwards for a little Mexican food.

CD and the boys.

CD and the boys.

My favorite Fat Old Jogger, CD, Jonathan, and Jonathan’s wife (not pictured) all joined us for a yummy dinner at The Loop in Manitou Springs.  I had the veggie fajitas with extra guac…and maybe…just maybe, a few chips. ;)

My meals have been pretty simple up at the yurt.  Since the temps. stay cool at 9,300 feet, the thought of raw salads isn’t appealing.  Mostly, I just want warm comfort food.  So, I’ve been eating a lot of oatmeal and veggie stir-fry dishes.

Veggie stir-fry with chopped avocado.

Veggie stir-fry with chopped avocado.

Love the yurt.  It’s amazing.  The mountains are right outside our door, not to mention wild elk and other wildlife.  However, the Internet situation is not so amazing.  In other words, my computer time is really limited these days, meaning little access to blogs, email, etc.  CD’s parents are also in town this week, and we’ll be spending time with them.  So, if you comment or email me with a question, please be patient.  I promise to get back to you when I can.

Stay tuned for…

• My review of Megan Telpner’s The Healthy Cookie: Unbaked, an inspiring journal that documents a life changing two years from a Crohn’s Disease diagnosis to naturally attained perfect health. Amazing story!!!!
  • CD’s Refueling Post – hoping to do this over the weekend after his long workout.

Off to hike with the in-laws. Bye for now.

Maggie August 18, 2009 at 10:58 am

Love your mountain workouts :) I haven’t been to the yoga studio in ages but I might want to make my way over there for a “real” class sometime soon.

Enjoy your hike :)

VeggieGirl August 18, 2009 at 10:58 am

Hell yes for Peanut Butter Flow!! Polly = yoga genius. But you and I already knew that ;-)

I DEFINITELY can’t wait to read your review of “The Healthy Cookie: Unbaked”!!

Erica August 18, 2009 at 10:59 am

So fun! I have still only been to hot yoga the one time. Maybe I will try and go again this Sunday! It was such a blast but soooo pricey! Love Mexican. Whenever we do get together (hopefully over thanksgiving)- we are having a meal of chips and salsa and froyo. Its going to be awesome!!! Have fun with the in laws.

Graze With Me August 18, 2009 at 11:05 am

The veggie stir-fry looks great. Glad you’re enjoying our cool mountain weather. I keep seeing people complain about how it’s too hot for oats but at 6 am I completely disagree!

brandi August 18, 2009 at 11:06 am

sounds like you two are having an amazing time in the yurt – i’m glad this trip is turning out to be so restful, and those views! Breathtaking.

I totally wish I could wake up and hike there instead of going to work :)

Pam August 18, 2009 at 11:18 am

I’m going to have to try peanut butter flow! Can’t wait to hear Megan’s story!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 18, 2009 at 11:20 am

Those lightly caramelized Brussels’s sprouts in your stir fry…lookin’ good there HEABs!

And I know what you mean about needing to mix up your walking/running outdoors path or it gets stale. I don’t do gyms, only nature rain or shine 365, so I hear ya on keeping it fresh! Gorgeous scenery, enjoy your week with the inlaws. Hmmm…in certain circles that could be an oxymoron but I digress…. :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 18, 2009 at 11:21 am

I so need to try hot yoga again. It was almost unbearable during but afterwards, I felt sooo good!

Jess August 18, 2009 at 11:28 am

That veggie stirfry looks SO good!

I can’t wait to read CD’s refueling post. Enjoy your hike!

veganfritz August 18, 2009 at 11:37 am

Wow, 3rd @ pike’s peak, nice. I will certainly be staying tuned in.

Cindy August 18, 2009 at 11:42 am

you are having the most amazing time…. I could REALLY use a hike…should plan one…there’s at least a couple places nearby for a fix!

your stir fry veg’s do look amazing and I too and beginning to wane off salads and craving comfort (aka warm) foods.

Fall is near!
Looking forward to your review of Meghan’s book… I am halfway through it!

her story is AMAZING, and so is she, and you …. so much AMAZEMENT in one little blogosphere!

missyrayn August 18, 2009 at 11:48 am

I have to go to Colorado Springs mid September so I may have to check out that studio you mentioned. I’ve always wanted to do more yoga in a studio but there is only one local studio that doesn’t offer a lot of classes. Thanks for the link :-)

tracey August 18, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Hi Heather!!
I am new to commenting (but not reading your blog). I am definately enjoying it!! This comment is in regards to dairy free. My latest breakfast obsession is oatmeal egg white pancakes- recipe: 1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1/2-3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1 T flaxseed, sprinkles and dashes of cinnamon, stevia and vanilla- cooked on the griddle and topped with almond butter and joseph’s sugar free syrup (sweetened with maltitol)… problem is since the signficant increase- major GI distress, after some rigorous testing (ie removing the cottage cheese)… my husband and I have decided it is the culprit… wondered if you or any of your fun loving foodies have a healthy alternative to the cottage cheese as it seems to be the ingredient that adds the fluff and moisture (they are quite dry without it… i tried).

tracey :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 18, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I can identify with the craving for warm comfort foods. The current heat wave in NYC and my un-A/Ced apt. are conducive to my experimenting with raw food, which is great, but there is a certain space in my diet that only warm, mushy things can fill. Enter the oatmeal/bran and roasties. :)

carolinebee August 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

What a joyful trip! Isn’t it amazing how switching the scenery can totally change and amp up your walks?? I can’t wait to be in Boston- every walk is a totally new adventure i love it:D

Deb August 18, 2009 at 12:49 pm

You seem to be having an amazing time. Good to get away from the computer for a while too- your friends totally understand that, don’t we?!

Have fun with the in-laws- cool that they like to get out and move as well!

Marcia August 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Wow, I really enjoyed these last two posts. I started reading the 87 comments in the refueling post, and I found it very interesting.

I think it’s very very important to find what you love. For example: running. I *like* running. I don’t *love* running. I am thinking of training for a 1/2 marathon for the experience. But – I am not interested in running 4 or 5 days a week to train for it. I will train on 2-3 days a week. I KNOW!! REAL runners run 4-5 days a week. But something I learned from Angela at OSG is that – it’s not necessary. At 39, being short and stocky (i.e., built like a sprinter, not a distance runner), it’s stupid for me to think that my body can take that.

I like to switch things up. I get cardio in 5-6 days a week. This would be: 2 days running, 2 days riding my bike to work (45 mins), 1 day at the gym walking hills on the treadmill or doing stepmill and lifting, and one day of walking. I *love* walking. I’ve done 3 breast cancer 3-day walks. I can never find walking to be boring.

I have a good friend who runs…and she runs, so that she can eat more. But then she got injured. And gained a bunch of weight. So she’s trying to run again to trim back down. I’ve had the discussion with her about controlling food intake. I won’t do that again. She doesn’t really like walking (but did do it while she had her running injury).

Man, if I had the time to be anal about my diet and exercise, I could lose those last five baby pounds (my baby is 3.5…maybe those are actually vacation pounds from 2 years ago…). But you know what? I’m healthy (haven’t been sick in a year), I look pretty good for a 39-year old mom, and I feel great.

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 18, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Your mountain workouts and mountain life sound awesome… Have fun with the in-laws!

Fat Old Jogger August 18, 2009 at 2:36 pm

You didn’t mention that Cindy’s 47 years old. You would never know if you didn’t see her with me.

CoconutGal August 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Love ya lady :-D

ksgoodeats August 18, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Stir fries and oats are definitely the way to go! They sound delicious!!

I would be a walking machine if I were in Colorado! My neighbor is nice and all but you can’t beat the views out there :)

Chelsea August 18, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I didn’t get the chance to comment on your last post!

Just yesterday I was at the doctor’s. The nurse took my blood pressure and exclaimed, “Impressive! You must exercise a lot.” Later, the doctor listened to my heart beat and said “You have a runner’s heart. Are you a runner?” (I do and I am!)

It’s not what running does to your outside that matters – but what it does to your INSIDES! Don’t be afraid to break a sweat and push your body – you are much stronger than you think :)

Samantha August 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Really looking forward to CD’s post…will be interesting to hear his take too.

Love the post yoga pic! ;) Speaking of yoga, I sent Polly a check last week, cannot WAIT to get it! Your mountain workout/clearout time sounds wonderful!

Hope the time with the fam is wonderful.

Maria August 18, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for the previous post, Heather. I just read it and found it incredible. Ironically, I went to the doctor’s office and skimmed through the entire article (he was running late–typical ;) ) . I tend to overdo the exercise sometimes and get guilty if I miss a workout because of other things, I get sick, etc. I have to do it for enjoyment and health benefits–not to lose weight!

The hot yoga, meeting the boys, and veggie stir-fries sound incredible. Not to mention the amazing Colorado mountains. When I’m on vacay I could walk for hours, but dislike walking around my boring suburban neighborhood. Wish I was with you :)

Susan August 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm

If I was in a mountain yurt, I’d be ditching the cardio for long hikes as well!! It sounds absolutely glorious! Unfortunately I’m in a Canadian heatwave, and doing hot yoga in my living room! :P

Shelby August 18, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Mmm, your food always sounds so amazing. I love it all! I wish I could come up to the yurt and visit! =)

Carolyn August 18, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I think your next blogger contest should be for an all expenses paid week for two in the Trump Tent or the Uniblogger Cabin… with the use of the Vitamix thrown in…WE ALL WANT TO BE THERE!!!!

psychoj1 August 18, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Glad you’re continuing to enjoy the mountains! Yay for yoga!
<3 jess

Alison August 18, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I’m definitely not a hiker, but I love the idea of nice, easy walks in the mountains. So beautiful!

Lauren August 18, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Heather,

Wow, thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with everyone.
This is so true and I am so touched by your words.

I struggle way too much with the “all or nothing” mentality when it comes to working out.

Sometimes, all I want to do is take a walk, but I feel that this will not meet up to my harsh expectations of getting in a sucessful workout.

Seriously, exercise is so much more than burning a ton of calories. It’s also about freeing your mind, body and soul and somedays, a peaceful walk or a hike is just what our bodies need.

Thank you for reminding me of this. I am so moved and grateful by your inspiring words of wisdom.

Take care!

amyjogo August 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Woodland Park. *sigh* I miss it. It’s nice to read about someone else who enjoys the natural beauty there. I should pull out all of my pictures. If you get the chance, go visit Templed Hills Camp and Retreat. They have several hiking trails back there that are great! I don’t recommend the hike to the cave rocks though…I fell off the mountain there! LOL Beautiful hiking and mountain climbing though!

Steph August 18, 2009 at 7:40 pm

it sounds like your having such an amazing vacation. keep enjoying the great outdoors :)

Hannah August 18, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Hey Heather!

I love your inspiring and encouraging posts. I still struggle, after having to stop running due to anemia, to see people run on the road. I’ve been walking, and I actually am growing to like it a lot. However, I don’t have the time or the challenging hilly environment to hike for 3 to 10 miles like you are in Colorado. What do you suggest for those of us who want to fit in low-impact cardio in busy lifestyles (i.e. not on vacation). Have a great stay in Colorado and again thanks so much!

Hannah

Angharad August 18, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I long to be doing what you’re doing so much – being away from everyday life and up in the mountains sounds like PURE HEAVEN. Have you noticed I’m just slightly jealous?! But also really pleased that someone as appreciative as you is doing it. I know you’re making the most of your amazing experience with the yurt, hiking, dog walking, yoga-ing and relaxing. Lovely!

Lauren August 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Heather, thanks for your comment on my baby blog! I saw it when my sister was over and was like “I got a comment from Heather from Heather Eats Almond Butter!” Haha I’m a total nerd!! I guess you’re like a blogging celebrity :) That veggie stir fry looks so yummy-it will need to be a meal this week with so much produce from my parents’ garden. Anyways, love what you’re doing! Thanks for including me in the blogging world!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 18, 2009 at 11:14 pm

It looks like you are finding that “balance” you speak of. I loved your last post and hadn’t gotten a chance to comment.

As you know, injuries have hampered my exercise. If I was an animal in the wild, would I be making myself run if I had an injured paw? Probably not. Should I make myself run/ellipticize like a hamster on a wheel to burn “X” # of calories so I can eat something I might otherwise feel guilty about? Certainly not.

Preach on, Sister HEAB, preach on.

livingfreeforever August 19, 2009 at 5:43 am

Yay for hot yoga, time with friends and good eats!! I love getting outside for a walk–I think I just like the outdoors more than really trying to burn calories:)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) August 19, 2009 at 6:00 am

Yurts are magic! I lived in win for a too short time in Ojai. Seriously- amazing things happen in them.

Jules August 19, 2009 at 6:53 am

I’m jealous of you and your yurt :)
Here in NJ the tallest mountain we have is only about 1,800 feet…
It’s so cool how you can just go outside and be in the mountains. It’s nice to just get away from everything and go outdoors.

ttfn300 August 19, 2009 at 8:07 am

i finally went to a yoga class! actually now i’ve been to two :) started slow, but i think i like it ;) have a great hike!

caronae August 19, 2009 at 9:50 am

I agree about being able to walk.run endlessly in the mountains! I’m in California right now, and have no problem covering 10-15 miles a day because it is just so beautiful,but at home, I get soooo bored.

hayleycepeda August 19, 2009 at 11:23 am

I love that you’re showing us your workouts and the picturesque lands! What an awesome vacation you’re having…I’m so glad you brought us along with you! It’s great that you were able to get together and workout with some friends, too. :)

Shannon August 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Hi Heather. I’ve never commented before, but since I’ve gotten up the nerve to try a blog of my own, I figured it was time to comment too! Your posts on healthy exercise, moderation, and nutritious refueling really strike a cord with me. I definitely fight the voice that says I should run X amount of time because of what I ate or, the voice that says a long walk isn’t vigorous enough. Clearly, there are many of us who fight that battle given the many comments you have received. Your reminders are very helpful…and knowing that it comes from your own personal experience makes your words that much more powerful. Good for you for achieving such a healthy mindset. I will be continuing to read!

Gena January 7, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Totally gorgeous stir fry!