Questions I Keep Asking Myself

by HEAB on August 19, 2009

• Why do I get nervous about going out to eat?  There are always vegetables available, and the chef will usually honor my request to top a plain salad with salmon if it’s on the menu.  Just be polite and smile while making your requests. Works every time.
No cheese, no croutons, topped with salmon, dressing on the side. HEAB perfection.

• Why do I keep adding frozen berries to my smoothies when all I really want is a frozen banana?  Nothing makes a smoothie better than a frozen banana…right Scott in Ohio? :)  Screw the glycemic index…just eat the banana Heather.
  • Why did I ever think I was over oat bran?  1 week without it, and I’m having major withdrawals.  However, still loving the rolled oats.
1 cup rolled oats soaked in boiling water until thick and creamy.  I love them plain.

1 cup rolled oats soaked in boiling water until thick and creamy. I love 'em plain.

• Why did I think it was a good idea to drink said berry smoothie when it’s 45 degrees outside? Brrrrr.
  • Why on earth did I not pack more Jay Robb?!?  Thankfully, Alice, the most thoughtful mother-in-law ever, came to my rescue with the next best thing…
It's no Jay, but it will do.

It's no Jay, but it will do. Thanks Alice!

• Last, but not least, why does melted Velveeta cheese taste so freaking good when mixed with a can of Rotel? Why, why, why?

Hehe…that last one made ya think, didn’t it?

For those of you planning on ordering some Jay Robb products for yourself, I promise you a promo code very soon…and no, I didn’t eat the Velveeta. ;)

greenbean August 19, 2009 at 2:51 pm

good questions! and i love you’re not afraid tell us that YOU still deal with stuff like this. i just love that.

i’m gonna work on my own list. i wonder if will lead to clarity and even some acceptance…

and ps…i learned the same thing about the banana and berry situation. there is nothing better than just a plain banana smoothie. it taste less like a smoothie and more like a milk shake. oww!

Lara (Thinspired) August 19, 2009 at 3:03 pm

How are you so awesome?

And, the real question, was that too cheesy?

Your MIL sounds like a sweetheart. I am pretty sure my MIL doesn’t even know what rice protein powder is.

Carolyn August 19, 2009 at 3:19 pm

1) For me it’s a control thing…home is easy, out to eat is potentially dangerous…and all this potential disaster pre-meal food arrives on the table from others…the Rotel and Velvetta ….and the social pressure to eat it too….instead of just what you want…I try to make the meal more about talking and less about eating… sometimes it even works!! Going out to eat with people who eat like me is good too…But i usually catch some grief in some form…

2) Social pressure to eat different things..Eat that nanner smoothie every time!!! I had three pumpkin smoothies today, all the same… and the only other thing i ate all day was about 10 ounces of avocado mashed darn it… But i won’t admit it except here…

3)Your oat bran will forgive you your midlife crisis… ;-)

4) I need to order that Presto heat dish for the winter…or i am going to have to eat my smoothie standing by the stove with all the burners on… which has happened…

And something truly frightening happened today. I turned the Vitamix past speed 7 for the first time today..OMG that thing is so loud!!!

Thank goodness for the JRObb promo coming… I cracked and bought a 24 oz regular price… but was pineing for the 5 pounder.

Marycela August 19, 2009 at 3:28 pm

lol Heather, glad you went for the banana smoothie

Lauren (Runandrejoice) August 19, 2009 at 3:28 pm

YESSSSSSSS promo code! My last post actually talks about HOW MUCH I LOVE JAY, but how $$$$ he is. I am eating sub-par protein right now and EAGERLY (and patiently, sorta) await the promo! Thanks girl!

Abby August 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I ask myself those first couple questions all the time, and then I try and remember that I always have a choice. If I’m out to eat and the only veggie option is something less than stellar, I will survive until I can get home and fill up with something else. No one can pressure me to eat gross restaurant food just because they have no problem with it themselves. I have a choice to do what makes me feel good, not what will make others happy.

I do the stupid fruit choice thing all the time. I finally just tell myself it’s ridiculous that I’m viewing something so healthy (fruit)as a possibly “bad” choice and eat the damn banana. Love em, and nothing tastes the same! I have a choice…

Meg August 19, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Why am I absolutely addicted to your blog?!

Probably because it ROCKS ;)

I love Jay Robb! I had it for the first time EVER this week, can you believe it? I added it to my oats and fell in love.

Have a wonderful day, and steer clear of that Velveeta – does some pretty strange stuff to your digestive tract, or so I hear. :P The salad, however, is beautiful – and topped with salmon? Even better.

Love,
Meg

fartygirl August 19, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Dude, I can’t thank you enough for reppin the rice protein on here. I had no idea the chocolate and vanilla were gluten free! It doesn’t say that on the packs that I get. But today, I did a little more investigation and discovered that yes, they are gluten free. Of course now that I’m hearing about your Jay Robb withdrawal, I’m tempted to check him out too.

I get nervous going out to eat too. But like you, I’ve always been able to find stuff. And I don’t eat meat! It’s pretty amazing. Restaurants want ALL of us to come back. After a decade of waiting tables, I can assure you that we’ll always do the best we can to make everyone happy. Nobody will say anything bad about you until they are in the kitchen – and that’s the cooks, who don’t have the opportunity to see your pretty smiley face! :)

Tiffany S. August 19, 2009 at 4:28 pm

This post and your past worries have helped me be, not afraid, but more AWARE when I go out, instead of being mindless so thank you for that. We are about to leave on vacation so I’m trying not to freak about food but instead be prepared and consistently aware (we’re eating almost every meal out except snacks in the car). I will not fall into that “Hey, it’s vacation….” mindset and undo all my hard work.

LOL @ Carolyn. I hate using it on HIGH. It scares me.

But will the Vitamix come on our trip with us? Magic 8 Ball is saying highly probably (even though I’m not even sure our hotel rooms have fridges and I haven’t requested them because I’m trying to be chill).

garbanzogirl August 19, 2009 at 4:37 pm

It’s great that you’re so honest with yourself about your worries. And you give the rest of us inspiration to be aware of our worries, as well. Thanks, HEAB. :)

Tiffany S. August 19, 2009 at 4:38 pm

No pun intended.
:P

Cindy August 19, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I so hear you on the going out to eat issue!

I USED to just say HMMMMMMMMM do I feel like Mexican food? or FISH? or PASTA?

NOW it’s just like NO PLACE has just the perfect item…Chipotle is close…Sprouts Juice Bar is second

Neither are conducive for DATE night….

I think I’ll just go back to what FEEEELS good and figure it all out later!

sheez!

great post!

Claire August 19, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I used to get extremely anxious about eating out.It got worse when I was at a Mexican restaurant and asked for them to hold the cheese.(I’m lactose intolerant among other things).Our server was a little taken back and my brother(in his 20s at the time)said,”yeah,she’s weird.”Uggh!I’m in my 30s now so I’m trying to have the mentality of,”I can do what I wanna!”hehe…It’s still uncomfortable at times,though.
Promo code would be nice!I just ordered the rice protein today.I can only get the whey and egg white protein at Whole Foods here.I had been dying to try the rice on your recommendation…
Thank you for all your wonderful blogs!cc

Annie August 19, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I totally know about the banana/berry sitch. Plus, I end up adding more berries than I would banana probably equalling about the same sugar amount anyway. Also, the glycemic index is based on a banana eaten straight up plain. Mixing it with protein, fiber, etc. like you are in your smoothies lowers the glycemic drastically, slowing the release of the sugars into your bloodstream. So, go bananas :) Plus, I never heard someone say “I’m getting fat. It’s the bananas”. So I wonder why I still worry about it sometimes too…weee crazy!

VeggieGirl August 19, 2009 at 5:33 pm

When you come visit, we’ll dine out and have FUN :-)

Erica August 19, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I agree with the berries comment! A banana is VERY necessary in a smoothie, in my opinion! Glad you have a sub for the sexy muscle man!

Maria August 19, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Haha, I love this post! I often ask some of these questions to myself too–especially the banana one. I try to put berries in my green smoothies, but it just doesn’t taste as good. I’ve somewhat given up, and just add that delicious nanner in there :)

Susan August 19, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Ha, just yesterday I was asking myself why I was eating hot oats on a 104 degree day. Some questions just cannot be answered Heather! :P

JessicaR August 19, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I always worry about the eating out thing too. I freak out if I can’t look at a menu beforehand and plan exactly what I am going to request and how I am going to modify it. It’s silly, really… like you said, there always ends up being something available.

I stress out at events as well. I recently went to a baby shower and just ate a few veggies when everyone else ate a full meal. No one even questioned my choice! It just reminded me that I worry about nothing. :)

Nicole August 19, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I still need to try this frozen banana in smoothie thing. How have I lasted for so long without it?

Shelby August 19, 2009 at 6:04 pm

1. I think the only reason I get nervous to go out to eat is if I know the place cooks meat and there might be cross contamination. I don’t think I ever get worried about the food itself though.
2. I wish I could have bananas! All my green monsters turn out brown because of the berries!
3. I love my oats plain sometimes too. Maybe with a little salt. Weird, but delicious.
4. I remember eating Velveeta on grilled cheese sammiches. SO yummy!

Samantha August 19, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Just goes to show you’re human and have your own moments. :)

But referring back to your post yoga pic and the dinner with the yurt neighbors pic…you’re glowing, radiant, happy, healthy and doing the right thing!

Velveeta…now that is one thing I can easily resist!

Maggie August 19, 2009 at 6:12 pm

I ask myself lots of similar questions… like – “why did I not eat kabocha for over a month??” (Had it today. hooked again.)

Your MIL is so sweet. Though mine (to be) shares my love of kabocha, she probably has no idea what protein powder is :)

ksgoodeats August 19, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Haha at the last one! I often ask myself the same thing and then wonder, ‘Why was I not blessed with a stomach that likes dairy?!’ It’s just not fair ;)

monica August 19, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Hot butt I love you. Why do i always assume i’m the only one who asks myself those questions PLUS about a milliion more all of the time..:) Your not alone babe.:) Let’s eat bananas K, they’re delicious. (Ps…you got my check right? I hope all is well…and if your in the kabocha area I’d be willing to attempt another moldy try at squash trafficing bussiniss!)

Pam August 19, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Wow! You have a great mother-in-law!

hayleycepeda August 19, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I’m really glad it’s not just me! The eating-out-heebie-jeebies seems to bother me more now since going more raw/vegan than it did before. When I look at the menu of some places it’s like I realize all I can seem to have is the lettuce and any veggies they might offer. Unless I can get a side of guac and salsa on the side. :)

Mmmmm…velveeta….I don’t eat it either though. It makes me feel crappy afterwards. Probably because I OVEREAT it!

Your MIL is a saint…

hayleycepeda August 19, 2009 at 6:51 pm

P.S. – GO BANANAS!!! Makes me think of that Gwen Stefani song…”this *%!# is bananas..b-a-n-a-n-a-s…this *$!@$ is bananas..b-a-n-a..” Ok you get the point. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 19, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Oh you’re not alone on going out to eat not being fun and/or anxiety-provoking. Well, unless you live in a place with fabulous raw or vegetarian or vegan restaurants, and sadly San Diego (you’d think it would have something, right?) ain’t that place. Between avoiding gluten, soy, and dairy for health/medical reasons, and not wanting a plate of hot carbs, I mean beans and rice, times can be oh so tough, can’t they! Glad you’ve survived :) Can’t wait for the Jay promo code, BTW…you rock!!! Although I just got some Sun Warrior. The true taste test is gonna being over here, will post about it.

Brandi August 19, 2009 at 7:04 pm

awesome salad, and yay for awesome family members that help you out :)

um…that rotel dip is usually a staple for the husband during football season. but he also adds sausage! for real. it’s like a heart attack in a bowl.

balancejoyanddelicias August 19, 2009 at 7:17 pm

inspiring questions Heather! Everyone has few of these! I’m wondering which are mine! :D

justine August 19, 2009 at 7:23 pm

…But you ate the chips didn’t you? Heabers, you are so lucky to have such a sweet mother in law! I bet they have been treating you to some great meals. By the way are they staying in the yurt? haha Oh, had a dream about you and CD the other night but cannot remember it for the life of me!! Must miss you :)

Love,
~Justine

Sarah R August 19, 2009 at 7:28 pm

You crack me up! Oh velveeta…

Meredith August 19, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I make a lot of modification requests when I go out to eat too! As long as you’re nice about it, I don’t think people mind. And I totally agree with you about frozen bananas in smoothies: the best!

Evan Thomas August 19, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I know what you mean on the first one. I’m flexible enough that I’m sure there’ll be something for me wherever I eat but I still hate going to new places without studying the menu intensly

Rosey Rebecca August 19, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Oh man, chefs probably hate me! I am the pickiest person at restaurants. I ask for things that probably shouldn’t even be done!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 19, 2009 at 8:55 pm

What a great post, I ask myself these types of questions all the time!

And what a sweet mother-in-law you have!

I am dreading football season because of said rotel dip. My husband subjects me to making this concoction when we have people over for games then I get the super fun job of scraping the dried goo out of the crock pot later!! Blech.

Hope you’re still enjoying your vacay!!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 19, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Questions I Keep Asking Myself: How long is HEAB in Colorado for? Good Lord, this is one long vacation!!!

Holly August 19, 2009 at 9:51 pm

So I’m NOT the only one who asks myself crazy questions all day long? ;-)

Deb August 19, 2009 at 10:16 pm

My last comment got lost in cyberspace so here’s attempt #2!

I hear you on the eating-out nerves. Not so bad if it’s a few times a week, but I get nervous if it’s more than once in a day or over the course of DAYS (like on vacation).

I also freeze after a smoothie when it’s cold outside, but I do what I gotta do! The nanner makes it sooooo creamy but I think I must still be scared of them from my Atkins days! :-D

What is Rotel?

Nicole August 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Phew! You got me with the Velveeta!
Honestly I love that you asked yourself those questions. I have issues with eating out too. And I laughed at the berries when all you want is a frozen banana because I too feel like I eat too many bananas (when really I only eat one every day in my oatmeal–sometimes two if I want a PB and banana snack) it got to the point where I started buying super small bananas so I didn’t feel like I was overdoing it by eating a whole one. My boyfriend finally asked me why our bananas keep getting smaller and I had to laugh at how silly it was.
Why do I feel guilty for eating something that I was really craving? Like tonight I had a few saltine crackers with PB. It hit the spot but I felt so bad afterward because I’ve been working on giving up crackers. We just have to stop being so hard on ourselves…especially since we work so hard to be the best we can be about 98% of the time..right?? lol
Oh and 45 degrees???? I was pissed that most of month of June was in the 60s here in Boston, but you’re there by choice!! hahahaha

broccolihut August 19, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Totally agree on the smoothie issue–frozen banana is king in the world of blended beverages.

Danielle August 19, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Answer (to most if not all of the questions): You’re human… event though I sometimes consider the fact that you may be way too cool to be a mere mortal :)

WholeBodyLove August 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm

My issues with eating out: it costs more money than I want to spend, I would rather make a nutritious, healthy meal at home sometimes. When I make my special requests the server always seems to have to hide the fact that he/she is annoyed.

livingfreeforever August 20, 2009 at 5:44 am

I don’t go out to eat very often, but when I do I just know the waiter is asking himself what the heck is up with my diet!! I am always having to say ‘no this, no that’. It’s usually just easier to eat at home. Although, getting to eat something I didn’t have to work for is pretty cool:) Speaking of cool, 45% is FREEZING in my book!

livingfreeforever August 20, 2009 at 5:45 am

Oops, I meant 45 degrees, NOT percent!! Hate errors:)

Hanna M. August 20, 2009 at 5:52 am

Sometimes I want just berries, somtimes blueberries and banana, sometimes just banana…. and that’s fine. No guilt, k Heather? :)

Gina August 20, 2009 at 6:03 am

I kind of get a kick out of going out to eat now. My husband still feels uncomfortable ordering off the menu, but I almost always end up making up my own stuff. Its kind of fun.

Glad you got some more protein! I can’t say that brand is my fav, but it is definitely okay in a pinch. Funny, my MIL gave it to me too!

Tasty Health Food August 20, 2009 at 6:37 am

I just don’t like eating out because one, it’s expensive, and two, I actually like the way my own food tastes a lot better. ^^

runeatrepeat August 20, 2009 at 7:18 am

Eating something like Velveeta cheese every once in a while wouldn’t be the end of the world though. Life is short and your eats are super clean >95% of the time.

CaSaundra August 20, 2009 at 7:43 am

I feel the same about your first question–I always feel bad changing up the restaraunt dish so much, but hey, I’m paying for it, so I am gonna get it like I want it, right?! :-)

Megan August 20, 2009 at 7:45 am

Hi Heather, I’m an R.D. and am so pleased to have stumbled upon your blog. It’s great stuff! Thanks!

rose August 20, 2009 at 7:47 am

I hear you on the first one, maybe cause I’m an eating disorder survivor — I’ve been at a healthy weight for years, but eating out still makes me nervous. Especially when traveling, for sure. There’s that old disordered part of my brain that screams, “But I can only eat ‘safe’ foods like the ones in my own pantry, where I control ingredients and calories!”

Yet I know that a big part of enjoying a healthy relationship with food is the ability to be flexible and to share meals with other people, that social aspect of eating that can be just as fulfilling as the food itself. What has REALLY helped is reminding myself that “it’s just one meal.” I try to picture this one meal in the context of, like, my entire life… all the healthy stuff I make at home… vs. this one white-bread sandwich/oily salad/stirfry I didn’t make myself. Heck, in the end it’ll work out to 0.0000000001% of my total lifetime eats.

‘Cause with all my veggies and yoga, I plan to live to be 100, at least :)

Scott in Ohio August 20, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Funny, I kept asking myself the question “are there NO bananas in Colorado?”! (~:

GeenyBeeny August 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Can I tell you something else that’s awesome with the Ro-tel? For the most divine chip dip ever, mix up Ro-tel, sour cream and bacon. OMG, it’s so good and I haven’t had it in sooooooooo long. Hubby will definitely want this again for football season. Clean eats won’t cut it when his friends are over for the game!

Annie August 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm

hehehe.. love these kind of questions.. do it all the time… the other day I was wondering do I flush and then pull up, zip and tuck in or do I pull up, zip up, tuck in and THEN flush. After I asked myself, I asked all my friends. They looked at me odd. mmmmmmmmmmm

glidingcalm August 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm

We have very similar questions. At least the first 2. I’m not sure about the Velveeta. Never tried that. :)

I love you, esp. for our similarities. I can relate to you so much!!!

happy Sunday love!