Refueling Part II, CD Style

by HEAB on August 23, 2009

For my views on refueling after exercise, click here.  Since I no longer run like crazy, my body does not require a carb heavy diet.  Yes, I still eat carbs (love my oats), and no, I’m not advocating a no-carb diet. However, I am advocating a diet rich in whole foods and enough exercise & movement to keep your body healthy and strong.  That being said, some of you, my husband included, truly enjoy hours of running and other forms of exercise, and for that amount of activity, you do need more carbs. Even so, you can still be an amazing athlete without Gatorade, pancakes, and bowl after bowl of pasta.  Following is how CD (a 2:32 marathoner) fuels himself.

Saturday was a workout day for CD.  He usually does 2 workouts a week and then runs 45 to 60 minutes easy on non-workout days.

Pre workout breakfast: 1/2 cup old fashioned oats cooked with water and 1/2 frozen banana + 1 cup black coffee.

IMG_3026

CD, where's the nut butter?!?

Workout: 15 miles (4 miles warm up on a trail, 4 miles at half marathon pace, 1 mile easy, 4 miles at half marathon pace, 2 miles cool down).

Post workout: Smoothie consisting of 2 cups water, 3 heaping TBSPs Nutribiotic vanilla rice protein powder, 1/2 frozen banana, frozen strawberries, frozen blackberries, and 1/4 cup coconut milk.

This glass x 3.

This glass x 3.

Lunch: Stir-fry consisting of 2 onions and 1 lb mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil & mixed with 1 lb roasted Brussels sprouts, Marinutta made with Sockarooni sauce, 2 TBSP crunchy peanut butter, and 1/3 lb 96% lean ground beef.  He ate 1/2 of this recipe.

I cannot keep enough Brussels in the house for this boy.

I cannot keep enough Brussels in the house for this boy.

Mid-afternoon snack: Roasted almonds and 1 kiwi.

IMG_3024

Dinner: We invited over to our favorite Fat Old Jogger’s house for dinner.  We brought vegetables roasted in coconut oil, and dined on grilled wild salmon and corn on the cob. Not pictured: 1 bottle of Bud Light.

Spaghetti?  Pizza? Nah.

Spaghetti? Pizza? Nah.

Evening snack: 1/2 cup old fashioned oats cooked with water, 1/2 frozen banana, and topped with crunchy peanut butter and frozen cherries.

That's better. :)

That's better. :)

CD’s perspective on diet and exercise:

I don’t believe in the traditional post-workout refueling regime of gulping sugar-laden sports drinks.  Instead, I’ll simply rely on my regular diet, as depicted above. The carbs are on the low side, so I might feel a little less frisky on my recovery runs. But by the time my next harder workout rolls around, my legs are fresh and ready to go.  I’d rather let my body replenish itself more naturally, through a good diet, than accelerate the process by hitting the sugary drinks and other high glycemic foods.  Of course, I could probably work out more often and more intensely if I followed a Michael Phelps type diet, but, for me, the health consequences are not worth it.

Heather’s Random Comment of the Day:

The only time CD uses glasses and dishes is when I photograph his food.  Otherwise, it’s either straight from the Vita-Mix or the skillet to his belly.

Another runner who refuels wisely (in my opinion) is Vegan Fritz. The boy cooks up some amazing post-run meals…click here to drool over all his eats.

**Exciting News!  The Fitnessista got a blog makeover, and her new posts are not showing up in Google Reader. So, make sure you re-subscribe.  Wouldn’t want you guys to miss out on any of Gina’s glorious posts! ;)

Cindy August 23, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Another wonderful information-full post

I am very new to running…and it did start from a bit of a neurosis to lose a few lbs….I have been re-thinking a lot of my actions lately…and have been making my jogs…a large blend of walking, fast, with inclines and slow jogging and slowly increasing my milage.

and my hunger sways like the wind. up and down. I have been trying to actually allow myself to up the carbs so I have the energy to exercise.

it’s been a great learning experience, and I very much appreciate your perspective (and CD’s too)

Thanks for this post!
I am off to go see Gina’s new look! :)

Evan Thomas August 23, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I really enjoyed this post, and can completely relate to it. My post run meal is my breakfast, and I hate the notion that it should be high sugar and simple carbs. I like my oatmeal and plain yogurt, and don’t want to compromise that because I like to run in the morning. I’ve downed a lot of carrot juice in the morning as a compromise to the people who say I need quick carbs, but I’ve come to realize that’s been completely unnecessary. Is carrot juice delicious and a nutritious way to start my day? sure, but it’s not a post-run necessity. Thanks for sharing this and an insight to your daily eats. I’m more of a grazer and have less at meals and more for snacks, but I think whatever works for a person works and that’s what they should go with.

Annie August 23, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I learn something new everytime I read your blog… today? sockarooni?? I would have never guessed it was a tomato sauce.. who’d a thunk? and I can’t believe I’m admitting this.. but I still haven’t tried almond butter in my oats.. but then again I’m a fair weather oat eater (cold weather that is) and I just can’t swing it in this 100 degree weather. Thanks Heather!

Katharina August 23, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Frozen cherries are my favorite!! I just ran out today actually.

caronae August 23, 2009 at 8:41 pm

All of that food does sound like great, whole workout fuel, but just to clarify, a smoothie like that, while MUCH better for you and less processed than gatorade, is still basically just carbs. Fruit carbs can add up very quickly (I know this because I’m insulin resistant), and while healthier and more nutrient-rich than pasta, are still just a form of sugar.

Maria August 23, 2009 at 9:03 pm

CD definitely has a great attitude towards health. In the long run, it is definitely better to eat whole foods rather than a ton of sugar and gatorade! Plus, all the meals look absolutely delicious! Oatmeal + frozen cherries sound like an awesome combo!

Matt Pulle August 23, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I don’t have anything interesting or insightful to share. I just wanted to say I loved reading this post.

janetha August 23, 2009 at 9:11 pm

thanks for sharing CD’s perspective on refueling!

carolinebee August 23, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Nice work CD! I love how everything is whole and natural, that’s awesome. I encounter the problem, though, where if I work out super hard- I have that little devil voice in my head that says I earned the huge meal or tasty dessert ;D Damn that voice!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 23, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Wow it’s like feeding a high school boy with feeding your Mr. Marathoner, CD! Actually though considering how many calories he’s burning, he doesn’t eat that much, and it’s definitely all healthy and whole foods. The eats look great, and I totally agree to refuel healthy style not on sugar and crap. Thanks for the post. And for the veganfritz link.

Brooke August 23, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I am confused as to why you say you don’t do much cardio. I would say taking 8 mile walks is cardio! Do you only consider it to be cardio if you are running?

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) August 23, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Wow, I eat more than your man, and exercise half as much, if that! No wonder he’s as slim as he is. From yesterday’s eats he consumes very few “carbs” and any that he does are quite low glycemic. He’s amazing with his workouts.

Very gorgeous and drool-worthy stirfry! Really two whole onions?! Wow- there’s the quercitin boost! (it is quercitin in onions right?! :-) )

Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Really, that sounds like my meal plan for the day, only twice as big! Lots of fuel needed for those distance runs.

I wish my husband like brussel sprouts; they sound good right now.

Lainie August 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Your hub has a wonderful attitude towards health! Wonderful post – great information. Love hearing things from a guys perspective!

Maggie August 23, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I love this. It seems so intuitive and healthy. I might want to show a day of Bobby’s eats some day… he doesn’t always eat what I would call healthy food (but far from crappy), but somehow he seems to moderate himself without trying at all, and he always ends up eating just the right amount.

Anything I don’t take a picture of I eat straight from whatever it was made in :) Definitely understand that.

Thanks for the veganfritz link too.

Have a great night Heather!

Lara (Thinspired) August 24, 2009 at 4:11 am

Hi Heather! Does CD fuel up with anything *during* his runs? I ask because Matthew is training for his half and has started using the PowerBar gels, etc., which freak me out a bit. Does CD have any alternatives that might be more natural? Thanks :)
Hope you guys are still having an awesome time! I made a blended breakfast today and thought of you ;)

Lara (Thinspired) August 24, 2009 at 4:12 am

…it was dairy though (cottage cheese), but I was still thinking in the HEAB-mindset ;)

Shelby August 24, 2009 at 4:31 am

I certainly haven’t been running any marathons but I’ve been downing the carbs like crazy!! I have no idea what is going on and why I am eating so much. Oh well, at least I’m not stuffing myself when I’m not hungry…just when I am hungry ;)

CD has such a great perspective on health. I like that he lets his body repair naturally. Great advice!

Samantha August 24, 2009 at 4:34 am

It’s great to see so much WHOLE NATURAL food in a runner’s diet…especially a runner of CD’s caliber. It proves what so many don’t get, you don’t have to go heavy on processed recovery consumables. Thank you Heather and CD for this post!

PS…LOVE Sockarooni! ;)

Erica August 24, 2009 at 4:35 am

haha- I love the note that CD ” runs 45 to 60 minutes easy on non-workout days”. I love how he eats a very clean/healthy diet! Great job CD. Especially like all the veggies (brussels!!!!!!!)

lessonstolearn August 24, 2009 at 4:42 am

Wow! I had the same reaction as the poster before me…. those “non-workout” days are pretty good workouts! What an athlete he is. Thanks for sharing both of your strategies.

Ali August 24, 2009 at 6:28 am

I am just amazed that your husband can run a marathon that fast. That is very fast from what I know about running. You got yourself a major athlete there! But he looks super nice and pretty cute too!

veganfritz August 24, 2009 at 6:32 am

Oh Heather, Heather, Heather. Thanks for the shout there. 2:32 is very respectable, CD’s a superstar. I like the half mary pick-ups. I might hit that out on Thursday. Maybe 3X2 HM w/ half-match easy.

K August 24, 2009 at 6:42 am

Thanks for posting this Heather! I actually, like a couple other people who commented, eat twice as much and workout about half as much as CD! Interesting how we’re all so very different and have different energy needs!

gina (fitnessista) August 24, 2009 at 7:06 am

i loved reading about how christian dior re-fuels.. it’s proof that you can be a hardcore athlete and still properly fuel while eating healthy foods instead of junk
my pilot is the same way– dishes usually only happen if i’m taking a picture ;)
thank you for the shout out and for helping me get the word out about re-subscribing. it’s been quite a blog headache and i appreciate your help so much! love you heaby!

MelissaNibbles August 24, 2009 at 7:56 am

Great post. I agree with CD about the sugary drinks. I used to drink those and found that I felt more dehydrated after drinking them than I would if I had just drank regular water.
What an impressive training schedule!

Justine August 24, 2009 at 8:05 am

Gosh I love brussel sprouts!!! MMmmmmmm. Think I will make some for lunch :) . CD your food looks great!

~Justine

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 24, 2009 at 8:14 am

I love this! It’s so refreshing to see. I have a friend of a friend who is currently experiencing lots of health issues because as a runner, all he eats is carbs and water and not much else. I’m hoping to convince him to change his thinking and eventually his diet!

Brandi August 24, 2009 at 8:31 am

i love seeing his meals, too. so different, yet sometimes so similar to yours :) except with a little less nut butter.

i hope you two have a great Monday!

Susan August 24, 2009 at 9:33 am

Aww, I can just picture you two eating your bedtime bowls of oats together :) Yay for fuelling with REAL food! I had a hankerin’ to whip up some marinutta sauce the other day, but couldn’t find any pasta sauce in my cupboards. It’s on the list though!

ksgoodeats August 24, 2009 at 9:56 am

I love seeing how the other side eats! I always wonder if bloggers significant others eat like they do or not. Thanks for posting this CD :)

buffmuffy August 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm

oh my word this smoothie looks absolutely amazing!
-muffy

Edith August 24, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for passing on the fitnessista news. I’m an addict (of you and her!), and I had no idea :-)

Scott in Ohio August 24, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Great post! With all the junk that gets consumed in this country, it’s great reading about you two eating so well!

Huge sigh of relief from me when I read that CD rarely uses a dish. I thought I was the only one! The blender makes a perfectly fine drinking utensil, don’t you think?

Marissa August 24, 2009 at 3:46 pm

CD’s portions are a lot like mine.

If he is a fan of brussels sprouts and butternut squash, last year my favorite Autumn dish was roasted Brussels + Butternut squash cubes + shallots + Balsamic Vinegar, roast for about 20 minutes, then add some cranberries and roast for another 20…*drool*

~Jessica~ August 25, 2009 at 9:46 am

Great post! Although all of the carb-hating made me feel quite sad :( You are still really active, despite not running, and it seems like you don’t feel you ‘deserve’ carbs because you’re not as human dynamo-esque as CD. Comparing yourself to him isn’t constructive, because he’s all but an elite athlete and more active than 99.9999% of the rest of the population.

Also, I don’t know where some people are coming from with the ‘he eats SOOOOO much’ comments, because he ran 15 miles first thing in the morning!!! He hardly eats anything for a guy doing that much activity. Jeez, all of the guys I knew at Uni ate way more than that and all they did was weight train every other day…plus they existed on less than healthy food. What planet are you all on? Does it look as though he eats a lot?

Sorry if I’m way off with this, but I know you’ve struggled with eating patterns in the past and the last two posts seem a bit perfectionistic and, as I say, carb-phobic outside of the allotted oat ration.

Shannon August 25, 2009 at 8:30 pm

what a great post! and who would actually want to eat a michael phelps diet??

{ 1 trackback }