Happy Oatmealversary

by HEAB on August 24, 2009

Allow me to share a rather embarrassing story with you.  We rented a house last summer right up the street from the trailhead that leads to the top of Pike’s Peak.  I woke up early one morning and decided to hike half way up (6.8 miles) to Barr Camp and then run back down.  Barr Camp is used as a base camp for many hikers, and provides information as well as limited food and beverages to those hoping to climb to the top of the mountain.  After some coffee and a small bowl of oatmeal, I shoved $2 in my pocket planning to buy some water once I reached the camp.  In a little over 2 hours, I arrived at my destination feeling somewhat loopy.  No water + elevation = bad idea! Note to self: purchase Camelbak. Unfortunately, Barr Camp does not sell bottled water.  They offered to let me use their filtration system to filter my own water, but I didn’t have any sort of container to use.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  So, I used my $2 to buy a Diet Coke. I know, I know, what was I thinking?  I’ll be the first to admit that a real Coke or a banana would have been a wiser choice in this situation. Anyway, I turned around and ran the 7 miles back to the house.  The first thing CD said when he saw me was Eat something…now.  Guess I looked a little rough after 14 miles on nothing but a diet soda.

This was in the midst of my Primal Eating phase.  After gaining weight on a month or so of mostly raw foods & juice (too much fruit for my bod), I decided to try an entirely different approach to eating.  I basically went high protein, low carb and developed a fear of grains. I lost all my weight eating oatmeal almost daily, but all of a sudden, it was my enemy.  I missed it so much and was forever in search of a low carb version of my favorite breakfast. One morning, I even tried making my own with cottage cheese and flax seed.  Yeah, don’t try that.

Back to my Pike’s Peak adventure…I had eaten a small bowl of oats as I knew I would need some extra energy, and my usual breakfast of coffee and cream wasn’t going to cut it that day. When I arrived home from my hike shaking, CD told me to eat more oatmeal, but instead I started baking some chicken or something.  Two bowls of oatmeal in one day? I just couldn’t do it.  However, the thought of chicken was making me sick. So, I gave in and made a big bowl of oatmeal with vanilla protein powder and a ripe peach. Oatmeal had never tasted so good, and to this day, that bowl will go down in history as my favorite. For the past few days, I’ve been enjoying it again and again with some fresh Colorado grown peaches.

No almond butter, but still delicious.

No almond butter, but still delicious.

Shortly after I welcomed oatmeal back into my life, I gave up on Primal Eating. Many aspects of the diet seem completely reasonable, but it was not the eating plan for me. I gained weight on that one too. Again, my body seems to do best on little sugar, plenty of veggies, some protein & fat, and oatmeal…lots of oatmeal.  I’m not sure why. Maybe it does come down to calories. Maybe it’s because oatmeal satiates me more than a piece of meat. Whatever the reason, it works for me, and I will never forsake my beloved oatmeal again.

Evan Thomas August 24, 2009 at 11:21 am

I’m all for the oats!

Erica August 24, 2009 at 11:24 am

Isn’t it funny how all of our bodies react so differently to various kinds of food? Glad you found what works for you and hope you never have to through the feelings you had that day at Pike’s Peak again!

Lauren A. August 24, 2009 at 11:28 am

I don’t know what it is either, but my body is the exact same way. If I don’t have oats in the morning I’m hungry/thinking of food alllllll day. If I eat grains (other than oatmeal) and animal protein I find myself dragging and I have trouble sleeping. If I keep my diet centered around oatmeal, nut butter, leafy greens, avocado, black beans, root vegetables, and squash I feel and look a milllllliiiooonn times better! I’m glad we can relate!

missyrayn August 24, 2009 at 11:29 am

It’s funny how our bodies all react differently to foods. I’m so glad you have found what works for you. I’m still working mine out. I know I do better with less sugar but for some reason I crave it. Darn you cravings…

I’m going to Colorado Springs mid September for a work trip and I’m hoping to enjoy some yoga and walking like your pics. I’m totally excited :-)

Maria August 24, 2009 at 11:30 am

I think our bodies needs are individual, and you are lucky that your body loves oatmeal :) Oatmeal and peaches are a faaaabulous combo–mmm!

VeggieGirl August 24, 2009 at 11:32 am

I’m living proof that you gotta just do what works for YOU – love ya, Heather!!

buffmuffy August 24, 2009 at 11:35 am

aw what a cute story! Well, not the part about looking haggard after you got back on a diet coke and the bad diet, lol, but the part about the reuniting! yay!
i often explode my oatmeal in the microwave. ever happen to you? lol.
-muffy

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 24, 2009 at 11:40 am

I’m glad that you’ve figured out what eating style works for your body. That’s the bottom line: you have to do the detective work and figure out what works for *your* body, and you can’t compare to anyone else’s needs or how their body reacts. I could never eat the volume of nut butters you do but I can probably eat more fruit. It’s all so individual and that’s the beauty of getting older, experimenting, and being in tune with your body so that you can get to the bottom of what works and go with that! I feel like I did not really figure it out until I was nearing my 3rd decade of life. Plus, as a woman, all those fun monthly hormonal changes, pregnancy, the aging process, you name it, can all throw monkey wrenches into the nutrition mix so yeah, it takes work to figure things out but the payoff is awesome isn’t it :)

veganfritz August 24, 2009 at 11:42 am

This is the best story ever. I’m glad you got some insight from that and came back to oatland. No oats make me very sad indeed.

Pam August 24, 2009 at 11:42 am

This is a great story! You need to listen to your body and know what works for you. It’s all individual. Thanks for reminding us!

Brandi August 24, 2009 at 11:48 am

hooray for oats or any other hot grainy breakfast :)

i’m glad you’re back to the oats – I’m not sure I would want to see pictures of that cottage cheese/flax mixture :)

Holly August 24, 2009 at 11:52 am

love it – oatmeal shall hereby never leave heab’s diet, or mine! such a good reminder: different thangs work for different people and we need to honestly listen to ourselves and nobody else. in the end, we know our bodies the best :)

i toast you with a bowl of oats my dear!

Mary August 24, 2009 at 11:53 am

I have been struggling for the past few years on finding what is best for my body. And like you, I have done the high protien, low carb thing and basically had no energy and never lost any weight! I now eat small amounts of grains, (oatmeal, granola, brown rice), lots of veggies, limited fruits (same problem as you..too much sugar) and moderate amounts of lean protien. I also discovered nuts and nut butters are not my enemies:)I’m still attempting to cut out meat and eat more vegetarian meals. I guess I’m still a work in progress. I do feel much much better in the past 6 months since changing my diet.

Love your posts!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 24, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I had oatmeal for breakfast today after two months of just fruit and juice. I don’t know why, I just wanted it. I enjoyed every single chewy little oat in my bowl. I think you are onto something…

Simone August 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I was the exact same way. I used to live on oats and had previously lost weight with a diet of oatmeal breakfasts and often oatmeal dinners and/or desserts as well. Anyways, after gaining the freshman 15, I thought that cutting out carbs would be my weight loss answer and I said good-bye to my beloved oats. Nope, I gained even more weight. I gladly welcomed oats back in my diet and wound up back to my freshman 15 weight (aka I had lost the excess weight gained in my non carb phase). Soon after I found out I had celiac disease and really thought I would never ever be able to eat my saving grace that is oatmeal. THANK GOODNESS for gluten free oats! Oatmeal is actually a very controversial thing in the GF world as normally oats are manufactured in a way that can contain gluten. However, GF oats are manufactured in a specific way that ensures a glutneless product. While these oats may taste a bit different (they have a weird aftertaste), I have found that if you soak them over night and drain and then cook them in new water, that weird taste is gone! Voila, yummy oatmeal and yes, a slimmer waistline. Since adding gf oats to my diet I have lost a few more lb’s and, fingers crossed, believe I will continue to lose weight if I keep up my oatmeal habits! the only thing I have yet to try out of nervousness is savory oats. I see fellow bloggies making them all the time but alas, I am scared that a potential funky flavor could scare me away from the love that is my oatmeal. What do you think about savory oats?!

Devan Geselle N August 24, 2009 at 12:50 pm

i LOVE this post
I am inspired!! Do whatever if right for YOU and your body!!
YAY
love! Smiles. and warm wishes!!
Devan.

gina (fitnessista) August 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm

i loved reading this story!
back in the day, when i was the lowest carb i’ve ever been, i only had one grain serving a day and it was in the morning, usually a bowl of oats. every day i looked forward to that bowl of oats more than anything and the rest of the day, i was bleh and my food was more bleh. when i started eating more grains, i felt remarkably better and didn’t gain an ounce. to think i was depriving myself of that oaty goodnes.. for shame :D just goes to show that our bodies do best on REAL food. it almost doesn’t matter what category that food falls into, as long as it’s a real and whole food.
enjoy the rest of your day my friend!

Susan August 24, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I love this post. I also tried the high protein thing. Last winter I started a weight lifting program meant to put on the muscle and burn off the fat. Which of course, was paired with a diet where any fruit or excess carbs were the enemy (carbs were only to be consumed around workouts). Anyways, after a month of stuffing myself silly with cottage cheese, my tummy actually started to puff up instead of getting ripped like I was hoping. So I fell back into my natural eating habits. Still has lots of cottage cheese and tuna, just paired with lots of fruit and bread :)

Happy oatmealversary my dear!! :D

Oh, and my tummy has deflated and has a little ripple in the right light ;)

Justine August 24, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Gosh, why do you have to do this to me!!!!!!!! I miss oats!! Ugh! I am done with this raw/food combining shit! Not working. Making me feel to restricted and there for craving and eating other things I normally never would eat (i.e. Krysals!!) Now I just have to retrain my brain that it is ok to eat cooked, mixed food groups!! The things we do to ourselves, I swear!!

Counting down the days!!

Love,
Justine

P.S. No cell phone yet?

hayleycepeda August 24, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I’m with Gina on this one – it’s all about putting REAL food into our bodies… to me there’s not much better than a bowl of oats. Wait I take that back – a hot bowl of oats with almond butter. MMmmm….I think you’ve just decided my next meal for me. Thank you! :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I’m with you, nothing satisfies me more than a bowl of oats. I’ve even eaten it for dinner before ;-)

I have to thank you so much for sharing your diet, especially your posts on sugar. I know I’ve said it on here before but it’s made a huge difference in my life. I feel great and I’m enjoying food now more than I have in a while!

Shelby August 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Yeah, I tried that diet too. No grains = No brains. I was so tired all the time and never had any energy. I guess that’s just what works for me. I love me some oatmeal, in fact, I just finished a bowl. Yum yum.

Marissa August 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I miss oatmeal. I am right in the middle of being freaked out by all grains (oatmeal included)…though if I could get to the point where I could eat oatmeal and not gain…wow…how lovely would that be?

I appreciate the primal diet, but I am about 99% vegetarian, and I don’t even do dairy or even grocery store eggs…much less meat. I could never be totally primal.

Curious…did you change your nut butter intake and oil intake from primal to how you eat now? Or did you just cut all the massive amounts of meat and add back the oats?

I smelled some of the flaked quinoa the other day….no thank you.
;-)

Claire August 24, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I’m surprised they sold diet soda,but not bottled water.hehe…

Carolyn August 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Crazy girl…!!! Diet Coke??? I know that feeling… :-)

Angharad August 24, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I have my boy to thank for introducing me to oatmeal! I NEVER ate it growing up but when I met the boy, I realised he was obsessed (he grew up eating it daily with his daddio) and tried it. I didn’t get FULLY into it until recently (maybe the last year) and only in the last few months have I started adding anything other than brown sugar (a la the hub).
Basically, oatmeal has saved my life and I LOVE it!

Samantha August 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Even more proof that finding what works for you is the best route…eating real food, not always doing “diets.”

That’s a beautiful bowl of oats and peaches!!!

Jules August 24, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Oatmeal is the best! It’s kind of hard to believe you would ever give it up, after seeing how much you eat every day :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie August 24, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Oh no, a Diet Coke?! Don’t worry, we have all been at those moment of such conviction that the best choices aren’t always made; thanks for sharing your story.

I think you have really found a nice balance in eating. You really seem to not overdo the sugary carbohydrates (which is so easy to do). I think the Primal Diet is interesting, but good as a guideline, not always strict adherence. Plus, oatmeal is awesome!!

Ozlen August 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Hey Heather,

I just fiinished my first ever tri yesterday the IronGirl in Maryland. it was great and I thought of you because they had Clif bars, Luna bars, oreos, kettle potato chips juices etc. on the post race menu, while my kids feasted on these treats (yes they are treats as I do not think these should be consumed on a regular basis) I refueled on water, banana and this awesome quinoa salad with beans, corn etc. (the only nutritious item on the post race table) it was an amazing dish. They also had bagels etc but I am sure they all use refined flours. I did have a cup of gatorade during the run simply because I was feeling a bit light headed and I supplemented that to my water to replenish some of the sodium etc. due to sweating. Does CD drink gatorade or a similar drink during his long races marathons etc>?? 2 30 marathoner?? Wow he must be an elite athlete.

Thanks for the amazing information you provide. You rock!
Ozlen

Lainie August 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Oh dear, I’ve done many things like that in my day! Sometimes I look back at my life and I ask myself, “were you serious?!” Ahh, the decisions we make. The peaches in your oatmeal look delicious. Glad you eat carbs and a balanced diet now! :)

Rosey Rebecca August 24, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I used to hate oatmeal and now I dream about it at night!!

justrun August 24, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Yay for oatmeal! My mother tells me there was a time in my childhood when I didn’t like oatmeal. I don’t believe her. :)

Also, I cannot believe you did that hike and made it all the way down on that bit of fuel. But at least you only did it once!

Maggie August 24, 2009 at 6:10 pm

You hit the nail on the head. We need to do what’s right for our own individual bodies. No diet plan is perfect for more than one person. Everyone has to find exactly what their body needs. I’m like you – I need the oats. And I like them at night. I’m not big on meat, but if I crave it… I’ll eat it.

The only thing I don’t understand is why I love fruit so much when all it does is give me trouble. Even though I’m trying to avoid it I just can’t!

Alison August 24, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Gotta love the oatmeal. Sounds like that could have been a scary story. I’ve heard too many reports of hikers having to be helivacced off of Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. Glad you were okay.

elizabeth August 24, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Hi Heather–Cant’t find you email…Would LOVE to learn more about your adventures with raw foods. I met with Gena of Choosing Raw and have been eating mostly raw for a few months but think I’m eating too much fruit which is leading to weight gain…which seems ridiculous when I’m eating so healthily but would love to hear more–Elizabeth

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 24, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Great story, Heather, thanks for sharing, I think we’ve all made some questionable choices along our journeys, it’s kinda fun to read about someone else’s :) I am ashamed to admit I tried the master cleanse… twice! Never again!

psychoj1 August 24, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Really love this story! Love the message. It’s so true that we need to be in tune with our bodies. Yum to that bowl of oats!!
<3 jess

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) August 24, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Once again, oats save the day. No wonder they are so special in your heart!

I have been a carbo-phobe for much of my adult dieting/Atkins-loving life…thankfully that is in the past and I’m embracing more whole- carbs than before. I wish oats filled me up like the rest of the blogosphere, but I do have them as an indulgent treat when I’m not super starved. (uh, how often is that!?)

Thanks for sharing that great story!

Gina August 24, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Yum! Keep enjoying your oatmeal Heather!! Clearly it does your body good :)

RunToFinish August 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm

ok i was just wondering about this the other day… it seems like since I have increased my fruit intake my weight is staying stable…but even when I know I’m burning more calories I”m not losing weight. I was thinking it might be a sugar issue

Kath August 24, 2009 at 8:14 pm

World’s. Most. Perfect. Food.

charlotte August 24, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I have done some crazystupid exercise stunts like that – although I hope to never repeat those mistakes! I’m glad you made it through fine and your peach oatmeal sounds divine. In fact, now I’m craving some of those luscious colorado peaches.

lola August 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Yayyyy oatmeal!!!
Heather, sinceyou don’t drink milk, i think there’s a mexican beverage you could really enjoy! it’s called “horchata” and it’s basically rice milk with vanilla and cinnamon! you’ve got to try it, it’s delicious :)

WholeBodyLove August 24, 2009 at 10:40 pm

My fiance falls into a low-carb diet about every 4-5 months. He loses and then gains it back. I know better and I share my knowledge of nutrition. But, he says he has lost weight with low-carb in the past so he knows that it works. However, he fails to recognize that he always gains the weight again. I have also found that a diet of whole grains, healthy fats, and lots of produce is what my body thrives on.

Mandy Unruh August 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm

You’re a great writer, Miss Heather! Love reading about your journey.

livingfreeforever August 25, 2009 at 5:53 am

That is such a cute story about your beloved oats:) I don’t think–no, I KNOW, I would not have made it back on that run! Wow! Enjoy your oats today!

lessonstolearn August 25, 2009 at 6:01 am

I love oatmeal! It is my go-to food. I get a lot of belly aches, and when my stomach can’t tolerate anything else, oatmeal works. the funny thing is, I hated it as a kid. Go figure!

Annie August 25, 2009 at 6:23 am

I’m not sure the government has it right in the food pyramid with 6-11 servings of grains.. but I’m not sure Primal Eating has it right with no grains – ever – bad bad bad approach.. for the first time in my life I’m avoiding sugar, white flour and processed foods… eating more veggies, some fruit, protein and fat.. closer to the earth.. completely guilt free.. and I cannot believe the difference! It’s amazing.. now if I could just kick my splenda habit I’d be good as gold!

CaSaundra August 25, 2009 at 7:30 am

Glad you are finding what works for you! Isn’t it cool how the blog-world can even open you up to many more ideas and lifestyles–love it!

Dottie August 25, 2009 at 8:53 am

That altitude will really make one loopy, huh?

How great have the peaches been this year and oh so cheap, as well. They are heavenly!!!!

Happy oat eatin’ to ya’, HEABS!!!

CoconutGal August 25, 2009 at 9:08 am

Live and learn my friend. Thanks for sharing your mistakes, we all learn from sharing too!! 3 cheers for oats. They. Are. The. Best.
Duh :)

kim August 25, 2009 at 9:18 am

Hi Heather,
I used to love oatmeal, but I’ve been avoiding it for the past year because I have to follow a yeast-free diet. But I just found out this week that I can have oat bran! I immediately thought of you and all the amazing looking dishes you make with oats. I still don’t completely understand the difference between oat bran and oat meal, but I’ve read that you love oat bran and I can’t wait to try some of the amazing combinations you make with it!

And I also don’t eat a lot of fruit because of the sugar content, but I just might have to try that peach combo as a treat… it looks delicious.

Lena August 25, 2009 at 10:19 am

Hi Heather,

I simply love oatmeal but i feel like when i use only half cup, i don’t really feel full, i was wondering how much oatmeal do you use to fill you up long enough?

and thanks for the constant reminder of wholesome great food like oatmeal!!! :)

Laura August 25, 2009 at 10:21 am

Just how i started eating them! The ripe peach is perfect and I usually don’t give up my (PROUDLY) homemade AB ;)
I must say I’m so thankfull to you for having ‘introduced’ me to oatmeal!

Question: I don’t know if you’ve already adressed the issue but I’m curious, what’s your opinion on raw foods?

As always, an amazing story for you to share. I get so much from your posts every single time!

Marina August 25, 2009 at 10:25 am

I love oatmeal, but it doesn’t make me full for a long time. Maybe because I’m always afraid of calories, and I cut down on oats, banana and pb. But I love that breakfast, and I don’t want to change it. I read about primal eating, but I don’t want to try it. I adore my carbs, and I just can’t stomach too much protein in my diet, so I’ll stick to what I do now.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 25, 2009 at 10:49 am

Kudos for following your body! It’s so true that diets are not onesizefitsall. You gained weight on raw food and fruit, while my experience with it so far has left me feeling my best (and minus a pound or two!). The things I love and crave are absolutely not for everyone, and I kinda love that! To each their own–that’s why we have so much great (whole food-based) cuisine in this world.

Graze With Me August 25, 2009 at 11:06 am

Diet Coke??? Shame on them for having that but not water! I’d be pretty pissed. That story really speaks volumes though, I remember one time my family and I took a bike ride through Switzerland and Austria. It was a long trip and I was 18 and not in any sort of shape. I remember we found this little house along the road that sold food straight from their kitchen. I had fresh bread, cheese and fruit and it was possibly the best meal EVER.

I think I am similar to you when it comes to carbs but not so with fruit. I eat 4-7 servings of fruit per day and it seems to work fine for me. I am trying to eat more vegetables in place of some fruit but it can be hard to find that balance. Good for you for finding yours!

Anna August 25, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Here’s to many more bowls!

Cherie August 25, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Enjoyed the story as always! Makes me miss the Georgia peaches we use to get. I’ve been doing the low-carb for 7yrs total, but the last three years I had to revise to Candida & gluten free. I’ve really missed my oats so much. I have to try the gluten-free oats to see if I can tolerate them…I really hope so!! Thanks Simone for the tip on how to prepare the gluten-free oats! I also agree with you guys about listening to our bodies to see what works for each of us. Cheers to oats!!!

Lara (Thinspired) August 27, 2009 at 7:49 am

This is such a sweet post, Heather. I recently abandoned my oatmeal mornings for some inexplicable reason, and actually just had some oat bran this morning for the first time in a while. I have you to thank for introducing it into my life! I think it really does help me stay on “track” for the day–I can load it up and then eat a small-medium lunch and still have room for a satisfying dinner without overdoing it :)

Erika July 23, 2010 at 8:48 am

Great story! 14 miles – I hope I will be able to run that long some day! :-D

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Erika, If I can run that distance, trust me, anyone can. :)

Mindfully Emily July 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Wow I am so glad you linked to this post! It spoke to me and places I’ve been in my journey. Although I am not 100% happy with where I am right now, I will never go back to a place where I fear eating more than 1 bowl of oats a day and deny my body when it is truly craving the real nutrients it needs. Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Emily, You’re welcome…I really should come back and read that post more often myself!

Katie July 23, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Yay Colorado!! I grew up just a few minutes from the base of Pikes Peak – just reading this brought back so many memories. My mom used to run the Pikes Peak Marathon every year, and my dad and I would camp out at Barr Camp and wait to see her…I love that place! Glad it helped bring you back around to some oatmeal love, too. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Katie, One of my most favorite places in the whole world – what a cool place to grow up…CD and I hope to go back next summer!

Nicole July 24, 2010 at 8:52 am

I remember reading this story last year…I remember seeing that bowl of oats n’ peaches and going straight to the kitchen and making one for myself. And every time I make it, it reminds me of you. Seriously!!!
Hope you’re having a great time with your family!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Nicole, That makes me feel so loved. :)

Leah August 7, 2010 at 10:02 am

I love this post!
Lately I have been curious about the lowcarb/primal diet & am so glad I found this post in your blog Archives. When I lost 25 lbs I did so by counting calories but got so tired of tracking my food intake. So I thought “oh low carb/primal might be the diet for me”? I can not stick to a low carb diet! I love whole grains way too much! Plus after a few days of eating low carb I feel very very irritable & cranky! I need healthy carbs!

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:16 am

I love that post too Leah, and I am the same way – my body needs some carbs. I’m never giving up oats again! As much as the Primal way of eating seems to make so much sense, I honestly just don’t think it’s for everyone, myself included. :)

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs July 18, 2011 at 8:32 am

When I first saw Food Matters I immediately went high raw and could not stop craving soup. It lasted 3 months. Then recently I’ve read SO MUCH about paleo and feel guilty every time I eat oatmeal or quinoa. It’s all about balance but sometimes it’s hard to get that through a sensationalist mind!!

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Katherina,
Sounds like we could swap dietary stories. A wise soul once told me that guilt is nothing but wasted energy. If you love oatmeal and quinoa, then eat it. Enjoy every bite – life is too short not to in my opinion. :)

Becky January 16, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thank you for this post! I have been attempting Primal for awhile now but I think my body has been begging for some oatbran again (I’m a nursing Mom). I think getting off sugar will be much more effective than giving up a daily bowl of oatbran. Ugh…I don’t know how you did it for three years! I keep going on again and off again…it is so stinkin’ addictive. Anyways, thanks for the great recipes and your balanced approach to life. My story is similar to yours in many ways. Still on the journey to finding what really works for my body. I celebrate with you that you have found what works for you (and I’m a tinge envious!). Enjoy that oatbran!! :)

HEAB January 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Hi Becky,
You’re so welcome, and YES you need some carbs. Making all that milk requires a lot of energy, and I remember pumping a good bit more after a big bowl of oats. Sometimes, I’m not quite sure how I gave up sugar for three years either. Ha! I do eat it here and there now, but back then I was super stubborn. That being said, I do feel a lot better when eating low sugar. Just makes me feel gross, but oat bran makes me feel good. So, I say we stick with our favorite wholesome grains. And you will find what works for you. Just be patient and keep listening. :)

Jasmin @ inspired by intuition January 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm

well, we have a lot in common when it comes to food experiences and weight gain/loss :) I gained weight on a raw vegan fruitarian diet and then went primal at some point (also because of deficiencies) and of course I then decided that carbs and grains esp gluten are eeeeviiiiil ;) I really love your attitude! :)

HEAB January 29, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hi Jasmin,
So good to hear from others who can relate. Evil grains indeed…says the girl who ate oat bran for dinner last night and crackers at breakfast this morning. ;)

Lunaed April 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I can entirely relate to this! I’ve never felt better than I do currently, as a student awaiting the next installment of my loan: masses of oats, cinnamon, apple puree, black coffee, almonds, liquorice tea and soup made from vegetables that are always a smidgen beyond their best. It is a complete revelation! I don’t think I will change when I get more money, even.

HEAB April 15, 2013 at 7:28 am

Lunaed,
Haha, well here’s to many massive bowls of oats post graduation. :)

{ 3 trackbacks }