New Plan for Nashville

by HEAB on August 26, 2009

CD and I go back home to Nashville this weekend, and it’s not going to be easy to leave.  However, I am looking forward to getting back to a daily routine, my massage therapy clients, homemade nut butters, Trader Joe’s, and my own kitchen!

The time away has done my soul some good.  I feel refreshed…all that mountain air I guess. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about the way I eat.  One my goals while on this trip was to eat a more varied diet, and I feel as though I did.  CD and I ate out more than normal, and I’ve decided to make some of the foods I’ve enjoyed a bigger part of my regular diet.  There are also some foods I’ve really missed that I can’t wait to have when we get home.  Below are some thoughts/goals for Nasvhille:

• Fermented foods. I’ve missed you.  Oatgurt, miso, tempeh…I’ll be home soon.
  • Caffeine. I’m off it.  CD and I switched to decaf.  I might throw a couple of scoops of regular in the pot before one of CD’s intense workouts, but otherwise, it’s been nothing but decaf for about 2 weeks now.  It wasn’t the caffeine that I was craving, rather that warm beverage with cream every morning.  So, any good decaf brand recommendations?  I’m also excited about a new vegan non-soy coffee creamer that I’ll be reviewing soon.
  • Macrobiotics. I’ve been intrigued with this way of eating every since Maggie blogged about it several months ago, and it seems to closely mirror my own way of eating.  I want to experiment more with grains like quinoa and buckwheat.  I gave my quinoa flakes a 2nd chance this morning with vanilla rice protein powder, stevia, and a sliced peach.
Quinoa flakes...you're pretty tasty with vanilla and stevia added.

Quinoa flakes...you're pretty tasty with vanilla and stevia added.

• Oat bran.  I love you.  I miss you.  You will be my first purchase when I get home.
  • Fish.  I’ve eaten so many amazing meals with fish here in Colorado, and I want to continue eating it when I get home. What is your favorite fish, and how do you prepare it?
Fish tacos from Adam's Mountain Cafe in Manitou Springs.  Delicious!

Fish tacos from Adam's Mountain Cafe in Manitou Springs. So yummy!

• Seaweed.  Not a fan.  Nori? Blech.  Dulse flakes? Never did much for me, but I’m willing to try them again.  However, I had some arame with dinner one night, and it was delicious.  Any arame fans out there?  Please tell me more about it.  Where do I buy it, and how do I prepare it?
  • Books.  I want to get off the computer and read more.
  • Walks.  I’ve loved my morning walks in the mountains, and I hope to continue with them when I get home…minus the views of course.
  • Yoga. I cannot wait to get back to my studios in Nashville!  Also, I’m hoping to sign up for some Iyengar classes and work on my form.

That’s it.  Any input? I’d love to hear your thoughts.  Until then, I’m going to try and enjoy every last minute of our time out here in beautiful Colorado.

Oh, and a shout-out to Andy, my brother-in-law, who was selected as the play-by-play voice for Gamecock men’s basketball and baseball at the University of South Carolina: http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/genrel/082409aaa.html.  Andy, we are so very proud of you…think you could get us tickets to the South Carolina/Clemson game? ;)

Maggie August 26, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Love the plan!

Seaweed – have you tried Hijiki? It’s really cool. There’s a recipe on my blog for it. I get it at my local Asian market. It comes dried.

Books – me too!

Fish – I like monkfish. I made a yummy thing with trout the other week – just really simply cooked trout topped with fresh homemade salsa. I also like fish… cooked plain topped with butter and lemon. So simple, so good. I also love crab, but I think I’m slightly allergic to it – I always feel sick afterwards.

Caffiene – ooo you should try some herbal teas. Lupicia is a great company; they have A TON of flavors. Check out their website. I buy mine at the store in the mall, but I haven’t seen any Lupicias on the east coast.

Yay for macrobiotics :)

Loved this post, Heather. I can’t wait to hear more… :) Happy Wednesday!

Gena (Choosing Raw) August 26, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Glad you’re getting back home — returning to my little kitchen is always a travel highlight for me :)

JENNA August 26, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I’m sort of sad to see you leave…no more gorgeous view pictures! You are so lucky to have retreated to the mountains for awhile. I love how you are setting food goals and i can’t wait to hear about your macrobiotics adventures. will be interesting.

Claire August 26, 2009 at 12:57 pm

You are definitely a trooper.I don’t know if I could be away from my home that long.The views you had there are very tempting for a visit out West,though.I gave up my beloved coffee and soda a few months ago.It was really hard because my diet soda was like an afternoon treat.hehe…I second the herbal tea comment.I love trying different one(there are sooo many).You have inspired me to REALLY get into yoga now(not just the lil dabs).At your recommendation, I may invest in Polly’s DVD.Thank you,Heather.Get home safe!!cc

Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) August 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I feel the same way about coffee – I don’t drink it for the caffeine. I just like the taste, and I enjoy a nice hot beverage in the morning.

Andrea August 26, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’m with you on the caffeine thing. Have you tried Teacino? I love it. It has no caffeine or acid and it brews like coffee. It comes in some flavors, too. I personally love the Hazelnut flavor.

Emily August 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I just read “Know it All” which was pretty fabulous. It was part memoir/part encyclopaedia.

livingfreeforever August 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I was just thinking today that I NEED some oatgurt! I haven’t dany in WEEKS! My favorite fish is flounder and I just recently tried dulse flakes and thought they were okay. I’m glad you found a way to use your quinoa flakes. I haven’t looked into Macrobiotics before, but I already eat plenty of quinoa and buckwheat.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your last days in Col.!! Have safe travels home:)

Jules August 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Good goals! I can’t give you any suggestions on the fish or the seaweed, because I’ve never liked either. I agree with you about the books, and morning walks are always good :) I would hate to leave Colorado, but it’s always nice to get home after a long vacation.

Evan Thomas August 26, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Coffee- I pretty much only drink decaf as well. When I didn’t care so much about my coffee I always went with some funky flavors. But after some life changes I’d been having trouble finding a coffee that is 1) decaf 2) flavored and 3) all natural. Finally I found Whole Foods brand hazelnut and french vanilla decafs. I just bought the hazelnut today and haven’t tried it so I can’t give an opinion, but it was well priced so I hope it’s good and a brand I can rely on.

Fish- I love salmon, a lot. Plain it’s one of the most fishiest tasting fish(which I like because that’s what I eat fish for after all). To brighten up the flavor you can squeeze a little lemon on it. I also sometimes like to serve it with brown rice and pour soyaki(soy and teryaki sauce) over it all. I’ve also heard it’s sturdy enough for steak sauce, though I’ve never tried that.

fartygirl August 26, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Kasha is yummy. I toss it into soy yogurt with walnuts and feast away. It’s got the perfect crunch that doesn’t break your teeth. I think that you were the one who blogged about eating kasha roasted… which changed my life. I had no idea you could eat it like cereal. I thought it had to be cooked with water and pureed always. Anyway, if you decide to take the creamy buckwheat route, it goes very well with peanut butter & cinnamon. Like a healthy cinnamon toast. Love it up. :)

Susan August 26, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Just make sure your decaf is done the swiss water method, some companies use a chemical process to extract the caffeine. Blech.

As for fish, salmon!! Pan-fried in curry powder and a maple syrup + balsamic vinegar sauce to top. Yummmm….

Has it been 6 weeks already?? Wow, time flies!

Pam August 26, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I have the same view on coffee. I just love the taste!! I don’t really like seaweed unless it’s in my sushi – plain i can’t do.

I’m glad your mountain vacation did you well!

Allison August 26, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Costco’s own brand of decaf coffee (Kirkland Signature, I believe) is awesome! It’s brewed by Starbucks, and you’d never know it’s decaf. I had to kick my caffeine habit a few months back per the doctor’s orders, and this coffee has been a life saver! My parents turned me on to this, and it has been a life saver!

VeggieGirl August 26, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Sounds super great!! :-D

Rosey Rebecca August 26, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Sounds like you learned a lot about your body and eating while you were away!! It’s always good to go home though! :-) Can’t wait to see your transition back to normal day to day life!

Erica August 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Congrats to your bro in law! That is super exciting!!

No caffine? You go girl…you know I <3 it too much…. In terms of fish- love grouper and mahi! Deliciousness

Enjoy the end of your trip!

veganfritz August 26, 2009 at 3:55 pm

I love arame. It’s good with a salad or sauteed veggies – I usually get Eden Foods seaweed @ the health foods store or WF.

Pearl August 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm

i actually love seaweed for some reason, but my boyfriend wasn’t that big of a fan. still, i was impressed that he tried it!

Chelsea August 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm

In light of your blog on the TIME article and your advocacy for low intensity exercise, I’m interested to hear your thoughts about this NYT article:

jenngirl August 26, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I find that over the past few years, vacations are where I’ve been able to stretch out and grow the most. Something about being out of your comfort zone really facilitates this process :)

I love fish (finally)!! Seared Ahi Tuna, grilled shrimp, grilled salmon…mm mmm!

Lainie August 26, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Looks like you got all sorts of good ideas and things to look forward to when you get home! I love fish – I eat it all the time. I’m kind of obsessed with it. What’s your favorite kind of fish? I’ll send you some recipes if you’re interested!

Katie August 26, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful stay! But, I would be missing oat bran and Trader Joe’s, too. Well, I don’t even live near a TJ’s, but I can understand because that store is just so amazingly wonderful! I need to be reading more too, instead of being on the computer so much…but blogging is so fun and interesting. :) I will TRY the rest of this week to limit my computer time. We will try together! Haha

Peace always,
Katie

Faith August 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm

i’m glad you’re continuing on your food exploration and you’re yacking you’re way out of that yurt! maybe u can find my friends, i miss them :p

fish-did u see my salmon papillote the other day? basically its fish done in parchment papers-super easy and super delish! fresh veggies, fish, herbs and spices, PERFECT!!!

books:i just finished wally lamb’s new one and really enjoyed it, a customer brought in julia and julia and its pretty good!!!

Maria August 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Fermented foods and fish does wonders! I have been adding lots of fermented stuff (kombucha, kefir, kimchi, miso, etc) and my tummy feels good :) I’ve been reading this book on the importance of Omega-3s, and wow I didn’t know that it was THAT important (although I did know it was really good for you). I love sablefish/black cod, salmon, regular old Alaskan cod, and tuna. Sablefish is an amazingly fatty fish with tons more omega-3s than salmon. It is the tastiest, richest fish ever (in my opinion ;) . It’s good simply anyway (salt, pepper, evoo, lemon juice, favorite herbs and spices if desired). Same with cod and salmon, especially king salmon, but make sure you don’t over cook it! I don’t know how to prepare fresh tuna though, but I’ve seen many Food Network people do it wonderfully.

I would love to read more books too. I finally got my hands on a copy of the time traveler’s wife and it is SO GOOD.

For arame info, check out Chocolate Covered Katie. I love any seaweed and grew up on it so am not help!

carolinebee August 26, 2009 at 4:41 pm

hmm i love TJ’s coffee- i wonder if they have decaf!? Sounds like a good plan for Nashville, definitely check out books by David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs if u want a laugh :) Also, She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb is rrreaaallly reaally good. Oh and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides! ha i have millions.

That’s so cool for your bro in law!! I went to USC ( as in Southern California :D ) and whenever I’m on the East Coast, people are like yaaa South Carolina!! haha oo well

Heather (be well & take care) August 26, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I think your little goals/plans sound excellent! You know, I’ve been having a few cups of coffee here and there and I’m not feeling the caffeine at all (never had much of an effect on me), so maybe I’ll look into decaf. Do you have a Fresh Market near you? They have EXCELLENT coffee, both full caf & decaf. I even like Target’s brand of Archer Farms Organic coffee. I’m not much of a coffee snob, though – big into Dunkin Donuts, but I’ve been trying to do organic so I tend to get whatever is on sale.

I have The Hip Chick’s Guide to Macrobiotics – do you have that? I’ve read through it and don’t really need it on my shelf, so if you’d be interested, let me know & I’ll throw it into your package!

I definitely want to read more/computer less, more walks & yoga as well. You will be my inspiration! And so excited to read about this vegan non-soy creamer! I’ve been using almond or hemp milk in my coffee but really miss my soy creamer, though my stomach does not.

Longest comment ever? I think so. Have a great night! xo

reginarae August 26, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Whoopsie! Somehow I thought I was writing on this post, not the previous. I got confused at the bottom of the post. OH lord. I’m technologically inept!! Sorry ’bout that Heather. Although I read that last post yesterday and it also put a big smile on my face – what a view!!!

Kimberly August 26, 2009 at 5:18 pm

For decaf I use Peet’s or Caribou. They both use the water method instead of chemicals to decaffeinate the coffee. I love that warm bev in the AM with my vanilla almond milk. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 26, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for comin’ by my bloggie this morning, made my day!

As for your decaf/warm beverage thing…I think that may be mine, too. I am going to be reviewing some Fair Trade decaf soon and perhaps that’s all I really need. DO TELL! about the vegan non-soy creamer. Almond milk just really doesnt quite cut it, but sigh…

Yoga, your own kitchen, less computer time and more book time, hip hip hooray!

I’m not a fan of dulse, makes me retain water. All salty foods do. It’s just my chemisty, so can’t help you. When I ate fish, salmon of course at home. In restaurants, more unique fish like chilean sea bass or wahoo were faves.

Fermented foods + probiotics = so important. Gut health comprises about 80% of our immune system so if your gut aint’ healthy, you’re gonna be gettin sick alot. All those good bacteria wards things off as you know. I am going to blog about no-cook countertop coconut water & milk kefir with dairy-free starters….soon. So easy.

Big hug! :)

thedallasceliac August 26, 2009 at 5:38 pm

My favorite fish is chilean sea bass, roasted. So good.

I admire your caffeine-free lifestyle but I couldn’t do it. I consume more coffee than most people consume water.

Ellen August 26, 2009 at 5:46 pm

no recommendations for the decaf, but that’s something i’ve been thinking about doing for a while. coffee and i have a love/hate relationship ;) i NEED it but my body doesn’t. even decaf is so acidifying, but i think that’s the next step for me.

macrobiotics fit pretty well with how i need to eat to feel my best too, BUT i can’t do the soy thing. soy does NOT like my stomach. i am confused about the no stevia/honey thing. i use stevia in drinks regularly, and put a bit of raw honey on my oats everyday. not sure why brown rice syrup is better.

for fish, try to make sure it is wild caught (farmed fish doesn’t have the same health benefits, and has additives like coloring). also make sure it is a sustainable choice by checking out the seafood watch: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_whatsnew.aspx

i’ve been meaning to try this recipe: http://achowlife.blogspot.com/2009/06/use-skewer.html
looks delightful, light, simple and perfect for summer. halibut is one of my favorites!

Carolyn August 26, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Give up coffee all together if you can!!! I just did and OMG i can’t tell you how much better i feel… And all i drank was decaf…But then i wandered over to caff and it got out of contol. Just stopped totally a couple weeks ago. I never knew how much liquid i drank in that stuff until i stopped. Now i drink water or….this stuff.. Warning… artifical sweetener… but i am into it..

Getting caffeine in Lipton Diet Green Tea w/Citrus and same thing Diet lemon flavor…

I fear the winter cold but i used to just drink mugs of real hot water…So maybe

I’ve been eating Lean Cuisines and spelt toast with SF jam for days…And handful after handful of almonds…! Not an avocado or salad in site. I wonder if it’s the coming fall or something..I need warmth

Brandi August 26, 2009 at 6:38 pm

congrats to your brother in law! that’s exciting!

great reflections, Heather. and I would be so sad to be leaving those views too!

I love fish, but don’t make it much myself either. I also cant’ wait to see this new creamer review.

Books!!! Reading more is one of my goals, too. I love anything and everything by Francine Rivers, the O’Malley Series (and others) by Dee Henderson, Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is one I just finished and loved, too.

I’ll be emailing soon with some questions for YOU so we can chat :)

Shelby August 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Fabuloud ideas to ponder when you get home. And def. get that Oat Bran ASAP!!! I’ve always been interested in Macrobiotic eats as well. It would be cool to learn some new things if you decide to check that out.

justrun August 26, 2009 at 7:44 pm

So glad you got this (and I’m sure so much more) out of your time in CO. Also, so sad we never got to be in the same place at the same time. :( But I come to Nashville, and I’m sure you’ll be back here so there’s always hope!

I am the same way, I love having coffee in the morning and don’t need the caffeine. It’s really strange how much I look forward to it, actually. I find myself going to bed just so I can wake up. Anyway, I recently picked up some Peets decaf on a trip to San Diego and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’m not sure I’d regularly order it online, but possibly once in a while.

And, finally, quinoa– love that stuff! It’s really versatile, I bet you’ll figure out some new recipes before you know it!

P.S. Isn’t Adam’s great?!

Have a safe trip home!

missyrayn August 26, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Sounds like you had an AMAZING time in Colorado. Its good to think about incorporating all the stuff you loved back home.

I love quinoa with some olive oil and lime juice. Then I add black beans, roasted red peppers, and roasted corn with some scallions and cilantro. Such good dish and I can eat it as a great lunch.

Enjoy the rest of your time and have a great trip back to Nashville :-)

balancejoyanddelicias August 26, 2009 at 7:54 pm

a great plan! I’ll have to make one next week.

coffe – i love it so much that I’m not thinking about giving it up although maybe i should, so if you find a good decaf brand, let me know.

fish – I love salmon and recently since I’m in argentina I fell in love again with octopus, the best seafood ever.

seaweed – sesame oil, brown sugar and soy sauce make any kind of seaweed salad delicious.

yoga – I miss it sooooooo much!!!
:D

Ozlen August 26, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I made cookies using the quinoa flakes subbed for oatmeal. Worked fine. I do not think I want to consume quinoa flakes.

However, the quinoa salad I had the other day was delicious. It was re quinoa cooked, tossed with adzuki beans (small black beans) corn, chopped green peppers, parsley with some light olive oil lemony dressing. It was yummy. I totally want to re create that….

I get salmon from sams club (they use beta carotene to color it orange which I dont care for but that does not change the taste) and marinate it in leman juice olive oil salt and pepper all day and bake 30 minutes or so in 350- 375. Yummy. Have fun!

Lauren August 26, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Hi Heather! Have you heard of Jillian Michael’s book “Mastering Your Metabolism?” I just checked it out from my library and it is all about how your hormones, weight, health etc. are all inter-connected. I’m only 1/4 of the way through, and a lot of it may seem like a lifestyle you already follow, but she really explains all these different hormones, what they do, how they get out of whack, how to rebalance, etc. I just thought you might be interested as you embark on more book reading! :) Enjoy the rest of your time in CO!

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) August 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I LOVE teeccino, an herbal coffee that has no caffeine and tastes amazing! http://www.teeccino.com/

Hope the transition back home goes well! :)

Joy Winner-or-Whiner August 26, 2009 at 8:24 pm

The plate was so colorful. That is key!

Samantha August 26, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Looking forward to continuing to read about your experiments and changes. I, like you, tend to crave the coffee, not the caffeine. I really Teccino’s herbal coffee line. My favorite is the decaf chocolate mint.

Enjoy your last little stint!

Kristie August 26, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I only like coffee because of the rich and comforting coffee taste. I don’t really care about the caffeine much. I never really feel much of an effect from it anyway. Maybe I should consider investing in a good batch of decaf too!

The extent of my fish prepping is canned tuna or throwing some shrimp or scallops into a stir fry. I don’t know WHY I don’t try to make fish dishes more, they are SO good.

Read more – That’s one that I’ve been wanting to do for ages now. But I just don’t have the patience. I think the multitasking abilites of the computer have driven my attention span down to zero. So sad.

Enjoy the last bits of Colorado!

Jill August 26, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Hi Heather!
I’m a new fan of your blog (because I just found it a couple of weeks ago). I wanted to comment about arame- the trick is to soak it first for about 20 mins or 30 mins, rinse and repeat. I use a pretty basic salad recipe that can be found on my very new blog:
Enjoy! And thanks for all the foodspiration!
Jill

WholeBodyLove August 26, 2009 at 9:07 pm

The breakfast with Quinoa flakes really sounds like a natural, comforting meal. I must try quinoa flakes! I can’t imagine how much warm grain I will be eating when the weather chills out! I eat oats for dinner sometimes (with lots of mix ins of course). But, there are so many other options for warm grain with mix ins that will be fun to experiment with.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) August 26, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Chilean Seabass is like eating a stick of butter…in a good way. It goes on and off the endangered list, so I don’t know where it is now. Frankly, I can’t keep up with that list, and that fish is so cracklicious that I eat it anyway.

Enjoy your last days! :-D

Linda August 26, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Hey Heather! Oh, I can only imagine how serene life in the mountains has been these past 6 weeks for you and CD.

I forgot you were from Nashville..my Brother in Law lives in Galatin outside of Nashville. Next time we visit him, I want to meet up with you and Justine for sure!

I’m also trying to limit my time on my computer and reach for more books.

Oh yea, wanted to tell you that I finally tried Oat bran and made your famous Oats in a jar this morning. Party in my mouth girl….absolutely loved it! I took pics :D

Tiffany S. August 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Safe travels you two!

We’re on vacay now so I’ve been channeling your motivation. I went to a “Yin Yoga” class at the resort where we were staying (Sunriver, OR) and it was very similar to my Viniyoga at home. I realized that that was the first time I’ve been to an exercise class while on vacation anywhere besides a weight loss spa. I knew you’d be so proud (besides the 15+ miles of bike riding we did, walking, and canoeing – whew! Though I did call some nap time!)

You can’t fail with a plan! I love it! Can’t wait to hear how you settle back into home.

We’re eating fine but I vowed not to eat any candy on vacation – I’m surprised how hard it is! I didn’t realize how vacation = candy treats for me. Salt water taffy – you are dead to me!

Books wise – I finished Food Matters, which is nothing you haven’t heard, and I’m now reading The End of Overeating. SUPER scary stuff about the food industry. Just reading parts of it out loud made my husband choose salad over fries at lunch today.

PS. I packed the Vitamix! Hooray for breakfast smoothies!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 26, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Yay for returning to Nashville! I know you’ll be sad to leave Colorado, but it’s always good to get back home. It sounds like you’re totally refreshed and ready to get back at it! Great plans! I cut out coffee for a few months and felt AMAZING! And sadly I have fallen off the wagon and now am addicted again, maybe this post will inspire me to quit and do decaf too. I think my whole thing is just the taste too, not the caffeine.

Can’t wait for a Nashville blogger meetup sometime in the near future!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch August 27, 2009 at 4:06 am

Can’t wait for a Nashville blogger meetup sometime in the near future!
P.S. – Sorry, forgot to tell you great post!

Shannon August 27, 2009 at 5:59 am

sounds like this has been a great trip for you :) i just tried swordfish this summer and fell in love–but haven’t cooked it myself yet. My fav salmon is up on my website… but it is stuffed with goat cheese ;) enjoy your last few days!

Scott in Ohio August 27, 2009 at 6:16 am

It’s fantastic the way you have learned to listen to AND trust your body. Very inspiring!

When you get home to “The Ultra Simple Diet” book you will find many recipes with fish (or as we say here in Ohio…”feesh”). Try them all. They’re delicious.

Enjoy your trip back home.

Justine August 27, 2009 at 6:19 am

Love your food goals Heabs. Wanna go try sushi and wine with me? I am slowly learning that life is to short not to enjoy the things you love (healthy things of course). Found me some muscadine wine yesterday and cant wait to crack it open :)

Love,
Justine

Jennifer August 27, 2009 at 7:26 am

heather, def give macrobiotics a try! i know how to make a few macro meals that I learned from a friend in college. one is a delicious black bean soup so let me know if you are interested!
i don’t know that much about it, but my understanding it that the diet restricts intake of animal products (including meat and dairy of course) and also focuses on eating certain types of fruits and veggies that are most beneficial to your health. i think there are also some who recommend eating only products from your region to boost the immune system. interesting idea!

CaSaundra August 27, 2009 at 7:36 am

I am so jealous of your time!!! It looks like it was beyond gorgeous, fun, and yummy! I may need a trip like that mid-semester :-)

Lara (Thinspired) August 27, 2009 at 7:40 am

Miss Heather, I have so many of your posts to catch up on, but I really enjoyed this CO recap. I have noticed the small changes since you have been there, and I hope this doesn’t sound condescending or patronising, but I am really proud of you for going out to eat more and incorporating more varied foods :) That is awesome.
Sometimes you just need a vaction from the vacation, you know? I bet it will be so nice to be back in your own space again :) Safe travels if we don’t speak :)

hayleycepeda August 27, 2009 at 8:23 am

I love all the things you learned while out there and I’m sure your soul is VERY refreshed! Your thoughts helped me reflect a bit since I’ve been at the beach for a couple of days…thanks for the inspiration! :)

As for fish, I LOVE halibut and cod would be my second favorite. When it comes to preparing it, however, it is not the most healthy but to me it’s not like frying it and it still tastes good. I dip it in egg whites (regular eggs for Chris), then bread crumbs (I’m going to try Panko next time) then cook it on a frying pan in some olive oil. SOOO yummy – INMO.

I drink black tea – never coffee – but I drink caffeinated during the day and decaf at night. Sorry I don’t have any recommendations! I’ve heard Green tea is the best. Have a safe trip back!

hayleycepeda August 27, 2009 at 8:24 am

I meant that the way I cook fish is not like deep fying it in batter. I still fry it obviously..

Danielle August 27, 2009 at 8:39 am

You’ve been away for so long! I hope you got everything you could have out of your trip :) it sounds like you had an amazing time.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I wish I had the courage to make oatgurt.

Congrats on the coffee, I never got addicted because I never drink it in the morning really and only a cup every now and again throughout the day but I know many people that are hooked. And it’s very difficult, and painful to ween yourself of it

You’re right, the macrobiotic is extremely similar to the way you already eat. I feel like learning more about it will only expand your dietary repertoire and keep you happy and healthy. Enjoy!

You take your oat bran, I’ll enjoy my steel-cut oats ;)

My favorite fish is salmon (exciting, I know) and I prefer it pan-seared on the raw-er side. Sometimes simple is best.

I love seaweed salalds! How about trying hijiki like some others?

Enjoy your books, yoga, and walks. We all deserve a little TLC.

Have a safe trip home my dear!

Holly August 27, 2009 at 8:39 am

Wow, your time in Colorado has flown by! (So says the girl who will miss the pics of those gorgeous mountains). :-) Have a safe trip back home this weekend. I know it’s a little sad to leave, but you have so many wonderful things to go home to. (ummm….oat bran!)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 27, 2009 at 9:43 am

Dulse is actually a new favorite of mine! Apart from the seaweed used to roll sushi, I was kind of a seaweed virgin until I tried dulse, but now I’m kind of obsessed! I was advised (by VeggieGirl, in fact) not to get dulse flakes but rather go for straight dulse. I just snip it into smaller pieces before putting it on salad or whatever.

I haven’t tried arame myself but I know that (Chocolate Covered) Katie has a super tasty sounding arame salad recipe on her blog. I intend to try it soon!

I like fish ok, but wish I loved seafood more in general (hence my late-in-life love for seaweed). The fishy/oceany taste is hard for me to deal with. Generally, I go for salmon or mild white fish. Pan-seared is easiest when making it myself, though baking works well too. Mostly I just get it in restaurants though!

Safe travels home!

Michelle August 27, 2009 at 10:25 am

I love fish! Salmon, tuna, shrimp, scallops, tilapia, halibut . . . it’s all so good. It’s all fantastic grilled, baked, or steamed. I also love sushi–so delicious!

So sad to hear you’re leaving CO . . . I know how tough it is . . . just remember that’s it’s just until next time . . . at least that’s what I tell myself when I see those mountains in my rear view mirror. Just until next time! :)

Megan August 27, 2009 at 10:26 am

all good changes, heather-poo(i’ve decided to call you that, as that is what i call you in my head and it fits!)!! I switched to decaf too (still a little bitter about it…) and I really like Boca Java. I think you can only get it online though– my mom gets automatic shipment of 2 new coffees each month. It’s yum and can come as whole bean or ground, and they have flavors if you’re into that!

books&walks– 2 things i think everyone should make a regular habit! it’s sad to think that they are sort of indulgences, as i never have time to do either, but when you get the chance… it’s so worth it!!!

Tiffany S. August 27, 2009 at 10:29 am

Here’s a link to one of the best links to find out what seafood is “best” for you and the planet: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx

You know, if you’re into that kind of thing.:)

Lara August 27, 2009 at 10:49 am

Sounds like a great plan and I am happy to hear that you have been enjoying more variety of foods and plan to continue.

I LOVE fish and eat some almost every day. Favorites are wild salmon, halibut, black cod/sablefish and turbot. I also love shellfish–shrimp, scallops, and crab. Costco sells some ginormous frozen wild sea scallops that are really tasty and a good deal.

Rose August 27, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Looks like a good list of things you discovered. Glad you had time away to enjoy so much :)

Kristin August 28, 2009 at 6:55 am

It’s funny you’ve eaten a lot of fish in CO, of all places! I also love fish and don’t think I could ever give that up.

Great to have a new plan for when you come home. It’s awesome to have vacays and time away but sometimes the familiarity and routine of home are just so inviting and welcoming!

I’m interested to hear about your journey with macrobiotics, that’s something I have been interested in as well.

Mary August 28, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Heather,
Love the post. I live in Colorado and it always blows my mind how beautiful it is!

Sounds like you have a great plan going forward. I am an avid reader of all kinds of books. I just finished “Eat Pray Love”.

I still have not tried any of the fermented foods. Is there some sort of nutritional reason for eating these fooods or do you just like them?

glidingcalm August 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm

1) CONGRATS to your bro in law
2) I love seaweed, but only buy it at asian markets (cheapest!)
3) Books- totally with you..I’ve been commenting less, and need to read WAY MORE. Esp the news. I’m right with ya on that one!!!
4) Fermented foods- A MUST!
5) You really do have the most beautiful breakfasts EVER. They always look so warm and comforting!!! :)
6) Fish is amazing, and feels SO GOOD to eat. I love salmon, tilapia, halibut (expensive), and other kinds of shellfish! Mama GC bakes her salmon with an olive oil rub and it’s so EASY and amazinggggg.

love you HEAB!

Shelby May 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed Colorado (: I’m a native and I can’t imagine living anywhere else. I’m happy to see that you toured Manitou some and ate at Adam’s. Love your blog <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

Thanks Shelby. Oh my gosh…Adam’s! One of my most favorite restaurants ever! Love love love your home state. Please breathe in some of that fresh mountain air for me. :)

nicole August 13, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Hi Heather, I was checking out some older posts and I saw you mentioned a vegan non-soy creamer. Is it mentioned in another post somewhere? Thank you. Have a safe trip home from MI. Nicole :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 14, 2010 at 8:32 am