Time To Go Home

by HEAB on August 27, 2009

Our last few days in Colorado…

A hike with some amazing ladies in Green Mountain Falls.

DSCF2405DSCF2411

Another hot vinyasa class at CorePower Yoga with Jillian.

Jillian, I'm going to miss you...I'm still in awe of your handstand. :)

Jillian, I'm going to miss you...I'm still in awe of your handstand. :)

Post yoga sweet potato fries with curry ketchup at Trinity Brewing Company in Colorado Springs.

Best sweet potato fries ever.

Best sweet potato fries ever.

An early morning hike through Garden of the Gods.  No matter how many times I hike through here, I am blown away by the beauty.

IMG_3044

IMG_3040

Hanging out with new friends…

Jon, thank you for taking such good care of us during our stay.

Jon, a yurt neighbor, and now a good friend. Thank you for taking such good care of us.

Girls Night Out

Girls Night Out

Dani, Jillian, Jessica, I so enjoyed hanging out with all of you.  Please come run your next race in Nashville!

My last morning of deck yoga followed by some oats in the PB jar for breakfast…

IMG_3045That’s a wrap folks.  Colorado, see you next year! CD and I hit the road tomorrow, and so my next post will be from Nashville, home sweet home.

Before I go, please click here to read my interview with Katie Drummond over at True/Slant.com, Blogging For Balance. Thank you again Katie for conveying my message in such an elegant way.

The article mentions that I keep coming back to a vegetarian diet.  Although, I don’t eat a lot of animal protein, I do eat some. So, not 100% veggie by any means…but definitely a lover of all green foods. :)

P.S. – Thanks for all your tips and suggestions on my New Nashville Plan post.  I love you guys!

Jenn (eating bender) August 27, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Hey Heather dear! I am very, very behind (no, me?) but I wanted to let you know that I saw your post on Blogging for Balance. I’m such a big fan of that picture :) Your answers to her questions were so thoughtful and inspiring. I remember when we met in January that you felt food blogs were a bit weird – haha! Can you believe how many months have passed? It seems like just yesterday.

I’m looking forward to reading about this New Nashville Plan of yours. Off to check it out – but your trip to Colorado looks absolutely breathtaking. I’m glad you had such a fabulous time!!

Wishing I could see you next weekend!

Claire August 27, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I really enjoyed your Q&A.It’s so nice to hear those things coming from someone my own age(32).Thank you!

Lara (Thinspired) August 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Beautiful photos, Heather. Have a safe journey back to Nashville. Just going to check out your interview…how fabulous! :)

Lisa August 27, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Random question- are oat groats gluten free??

Maggie August 27, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Have a safe trip. What an awesome summer :)

Mandy A August 27, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I’m glad you had such an amazing trip, Heather! Can’t wait for you to get home and be able to take a yoga class or two… and we need to hit up Tasti D’Lite… I want to give it another go and see what happens :)

MarathonVal August 27, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I’m sorry your trip is almost over, but I had such a wonderful time reading about your experience in the yurt and seeing pictures… if only you had a video camera! ;)

Let me know if you get the SpiBelt once you return home!

Jillian August 27, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Love, love, loved the time we had! Thanks so much dear heart! Safe travels back…put that Fleetwood Mac on repeat! Hugs:).

Alison August 27, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Colorado is so beautiful! I wish I could be there. You were so lucky to have such a long vacation.

Daria (Summer of the CSAs) August 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Heather, your smile is just so beautiful! I find it infectious even through the computer screen. :)

VeggieGirl August 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Your trip was phenomenal – period. Love it :)

lessonstolearn August 27, 2009 at 2:26 pm

What an amazing trip you had! Thank you for sharing it with all of your readers!

That was a great interview. You have such a balanced approach to eating and exercise and are a wonderful example.

Christina August 27, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Your photos are amazing!!! What a fabulous trip. I know Ohio is not really on the way…but you’re more than welcome to stop into Columbus on your way home (We have Chipotle!! Hehe!!) We would throw some grass-fed burgers on the grill!!

Have a very safe trip home!
Hugs,
Christina

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 27, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I love your interview! You are so wise, HEAB. And I think you made a good point: your age does work in your favor here, at least in my opinion. SO many food bloggers are 20-somethings (myself included!) or even younger, but that’s exactly the age range most prone to insecurities and disorders. All kinds of research shows that women in their 30s are happier, more confident, etc. and you’re a shining example, so you can go ahead and keep puttin it out there, as far as I’m concerned. :) Those of us in the 20-something masses will benefit!

Shelby August 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Have a safe trip home!!!

Brandi August 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I’m so glad you guys had such a great trip!

Have a SAFE trip back!!!

Lauren August 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Your interview was great! I’ve only been reading your blog for a few weeks and just love it-add me to the thousands of readers! Hope you have a safe trip home. I only spent a week in Washington and was incredibly sad flying away from the mountains back to Chicago. But, it always feels so good to be home!

Justine August 27, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Can wait to see you friend. Drive safe!!!

~Justine

balancejoyanddelicias August 27, 2009 at 2:46 pm

great interview! I am sure everyone new to the blog would appreciates it! :)
have a safe/nice trip to home!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 27, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I, for one, am a little happy I am not you. I would not want to return home to all that laundry and unopened mail. ;)

I’m so glad that you had a great time, got to meet so many amazing people, and got a little healthy perspective. Okay, maybe I DO want to be you.

Susan August 27, 2009 at 2:58 pm

LOVED the interview. Love your perspective on eating and activity. You know I love me my cardio, but you’ve helped me learn a lot about how it’s OKAY to slow down :) Besides, I basically owe you my life for inventing oats in a jar :P

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 27, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Great interview you gave…wow, you’re a star! Seriously HEABs, you’re famous! That must be pretty surreal. Nearly a hundred thousand readers per month. WOW!!!!! All in just a year’s time. Holy moley, you rock! As for your last days in CO and your last deck yoga…how lovely. I am so happy for you that you’ve had this time to recharge your batteries, reinvigorate your soul, do lots of head-clearing; it’s all good in the hood :) And those sweet potato fries with curry ketchup…that’s good in the hood too!

Angharad August 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Ahh I have loved hearing all about colorado and your amazing trip! I liked your plans for getting home too – there’s nothing like some time away to reassess.

garbanzogirl August 27, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I loved hearing about your trip, and I’ll miss your pictures of the beautiful mountains. Have a good trip home, and have fun going back to your beloved oat bran :)

Katie August 27, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Wow! Colorado is lovely! I am so happy for you. You seemed to have the time of your life. Those views are spectacular. I would love to go there someday. :)

Samantha August 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I’m sad FOR you to leave! LOL Great pictures…what an amazing hike…CO is definitely on my “to visit” list once we’re stateside again. Thank you for showing us your trip!

(Great article by the way…while I love reading several popular food bloggers, because you’re closer to my age and don’t kill yourself in the gym anymore, this one is the easiest to relate to)

Deb August 27, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Road trip!!!!! Sing with me now… 99 bottles of beer on the wall…

Garden of the gods looks unreal.

Can’t wait to read the article in true slant!

Safe travels my friend. Oh and one more thing…are we THERE yet?

Erica August 27, 2009 at 4:54 pm

You are GORGEOUS girl! great pictures- both the hiking and the yoga sound awesome :) I love that shirt- will run for magaritas haha how fun! I need a will run for starbucks shirt ;) Have a safe trip home

Run Sarah August 27, 2009 at 5:19 pm

The scenery is beautiful, wow!! I love your white & pink long sleeve shirt…where did you get it?

veganfritz August 27, 2009 at 5:33 pm

the hike is just astounding. simply beautiful.

RunToTheFinish August 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm

gosh colorado is just so beautiful. it’s amazing! I didn’t see rock formations like that when I was there so I clearly need to explore more

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 27, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I loved that article. Your perspective is in fact the main reason I read your blog in addition to the others. And its funny how you can influence even the traditional ones.

I’m so excited to see Garden of the Gods when I go out to Colorado Springs for a week in September. Our hotel is very close. I just might have to do some hiking or running there.

lola August 27, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Beautiful pics Heather!
have a beautiful, safe trip back home :)

hayleycepeda August 27, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I love the pictures – what gorgeous scenery!! You look so healthy and refreshed – there’s such a nice glow about you! I loved the interview…very well done. :) Have a safe trip back!

Pam August 27, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Wow, your pictures are breath taking. It looks like you had an amazing trip. Have a safe trip home!

WholeBodyLove August 27, 2009 at 6:15 pm

What a great get-away! I love the pic of you on the deck. You look so serene and so grounded.

carolinebee August 27, 2009 at 6:17 pm

HEAB in spandex- hot hot hot!! What a lovely trip with lovely friends..I know of two, black, furry individuals that will be VERY happy for your return ;D

charlotte August 27, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Looks like you had a simply glorious vacay!! Travel safely!

scottmunc August 27, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Great interview sis, looking forward to your return home. Safe travels.

-bro

Jess August 27, 2009 at 8:52 pm

So loved the chance to hike and spend time with you! Travel safe!

Lainie August 27, 2009 at 10:42 pm

The end of your trip looks so amazing!!! Love Garden of the Gods; I used to work in Colorado Springs, so I know the area well. Good luck on your journey home!

Tiffany S. August 27, 2009 at 11:52 pm

A million thanks again for sharing your vacation with us. If I weren’t still on vacation myself, I’d be feeling your blues (mine will hit on Sunday but I still have a lot to look forward to between now and then).

I thought of you when I found MaraNatha AB for less than $5 a jar in the Fred Meyer in the little coastal town where we’re staying. Two jars (roasted not raw this time, thought I’d try something new) are coming home with me! I did a little happy dance right there in the aisle.

Be safe, and we all look forward to the next part of your journey.

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 28, 2009 at 12:22 am

Beautiful photos! I’m glad you had such a wonderful time in Colorado! :)

Shannon August 28, 2009 at 5:37 am

gorgeous photos, and what a great time you have had! and what a GREAT interview heab–very inspiring :)

livingfreeforever August 28, 2009 at 6:20 am

What fabulous pictures!!

I really enjoyed your interview with Katie! As always, your blog is very inspiring and always reminds me of balance:)

Ali August 28, 2009 at 6:27 am

Gosh, Heather, you are truly the vision of health–and you are so pretty as well (but it seems like there is an inner beauty to you as well, and I can tell from your posts that you seem like a wonderful person). I am slightly–well maybe a lot–envious of you for the time you got to spend out in Colorado. How fortunate you are!

And those sweet potato fries look amazing!

Kristin August 28, 2009 at 6:52 am

Safe travels! I have loved reading your posts from CO. Since I visited a few weeks ago I think I have fallen in love with that state…it’s just so gorgeous!

You also have me intrigued on the yurt…

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 28, 2009 at 7:14 am

Have a safe trip back home! And what a great article :)

Brittany August 28, 2009 at 7:48 am

Hey Heather-

I read the Blogging for Balance interview yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. You were very honest and I agree, your blog is different than the traditional food blogs- in a good way! :)

I didn’t comment earlier but I wanted to say that yurt you and CD stayed in looked so cool. I love Colorado!! I’ve only visited once, but fell head over heels in love. Garden of the Gods has such amazing views.

Enjoy your last few moments.

ksgoodeats August 28, 2009 at 9:18 am

Garden of the Gods is absolutely breathtaking! I love that place. I’m glad you and CD enjoyed your time in Colorado and thank you for sharing it all with us!!

Have a safe trip home :)

Erika August 28, 2009 at 9:22 am

Awesome article! And the pitcures are just amazing. Makes me realize I need to leave Boston once in awhile. Safe trip home.

Dani August 28, 2009 at 9:28 am

It was so much fun getting to spend time with you. Your joyful, fun writing voice matches the Heather in real life. Looking forward to seeing you next summer.

jenngirl August 28, 2009 at 11:49 am

Looks like an incredible trip!

jacobc August 28, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Hey Heather!
I’ll have to catch up on all the colorado happenings and awesome pictures!
I’m finally unpacked, that sux you will miss the housewarming- yall will still have to stop by sometime! All the furnature is assembled and in place so CD won’t have to worry about doing any handyman work ;-p Oh, i know CD likes M&Ms- i have 5 huge bags for tommorrow! I was going to do some kobacha squash, but i have to much already..

You know i discovered the kroger brand HAZLENUT DECAF coffee with a pack of hot chocolate rocks!

I see you are quite the celebrity-, you have a thread in you honor on the message board at runnersworld.com- click on forums, then click on “general nutrition”

I know you aren’t looking foward to the return, but i’m sure all the nashvillians and clients and of course the pups will be happy ;-)
Hope you have a safe trip back!

Liz August 28, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Colorado is an amazin place, it seems especially where you were at. I checked out your interview on True/slant. It’s really good. I love how you do what you do for you. It really is the most important thing. Have a great trip back!

Holly August 28, 2009 at 2:01 pm

such a fabulous trip – must have definitely done the soul some good. i think your nashville plan sounds fab, your eats look fabber and you are the fabbest of it all!

lotsa love,
holly

Life of Alli August 28, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Very cool! I’m heading out there in about a month, so I’m definitely adding Trinity Brewery to my list of things to do.

oc2seattle August 28, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Great interview and perspective.

Cherie August 28, 2009 at 5:47 pm

WOW….GREAT interview!! I certainly can attest to how you’ve re-inspired me with some of your’s & fellow blogger’s food choices. Some I never knew about &/or sometimes, just what to do with them! I’ll also miss the beautiful pictures from CO. My family & I almost moved there a few years ago and I enjoyed seeing it again. One of my favorite places! Well…I hope you & CD have a safe trip home!

Julia August 29, 2009 at 12:04 am

I’m going to miss all the beautiful CO pics! And I’m sorry you have to go home, if I were you I wouldn’t want to!

Annie August 29, 2009 at 6:04 am

So sad you’re leaving the yurt behind… sigh.. your yurt buddies, the yoga girls,the super good looking sweet potato fries.. looks like you guys made some great friend!

I read the balance interview… very cool… I suppose I didn’t know you’d lost THAT must weight.. dang.. I already knew I liked your outlook… precisely because it isn’t extreme.. just healthy..

Can’t wait to read about Nashville..

Blog on sister!

CaSaundra August 29, 2009 at 7:43 am

I have never had curry ketchup,but I bet I would love it because I am a ketchup addict!!

Btw, you always where such comfy looking clothes–love it!

Jenn August 29, 2009 at 8:07 am

Kudos to you, HEAB!! I loved the article, your honesty, and most of all how you stayed true to yourself and encouraged others to do the same. You’re so good at reminding us that not every BODY is the same and to be true to YOURself. Great job on coming through in the article!! Have a safe trip home to Nashville! I’m sure it will be wonderful to be at home but still a little bittersweet at the same time.
Jenn from IN!

glidingcalm August 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Hi Beautiful Mama!!! Loved this post!! Gorgeous views!! Someday I need to visit CO! (I have cousins there!!!)

Love the deck yoga and breaky. So perfect!!!!

Those sweet potato fries look insane…..I’ve actually never had them at a restaurant?! Only home-made!!

I also love that white shirt in the yoga picture!!!

Hopefully my card from FA-EVER ( :) ) ago will still be there waiting for you when you return!!

So happy you had an amazing visit!!!!!!1

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND GORGEOUS HEATHER!!!!!!!!!

ratzx31 August 30, 2009 at 1:20 am

i forgot to tell you that it was a very inspiring article. thanks for waking me up ! needed that reality check after all these crazy exercise and diet thingies going around. messes up my head a little. i love reading your blog coz i gives me a reality check and i love the simplicity of your eats :P thanks Heather!

Dottie August 30, 2009 at 6:57 am

Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound, Heather. Come back to CO SOOON!!!

Whenever a road trip is in order, that means crunchy food – airpopped popcorn and carrots. Fills the needs of munching, without being super bad for you.