Vegan Creamer That Actually Tastes Good

Winners of the Jay Robb rice protein samples:

1. Rosey Rebecca
  2. Whole Body Love
  3. Garbanzo Girl
  4. Following Foodie
  5. Honey Nut Lo

Congrats winners! Please email me with your addresses, and your Sexy Hot protein powder is on its way.

My brother collected our mail while we were away, including opening any packages that arrived.  Thanks Scottie! When he told me the following samples were waiting for me, I could not wait to get home and try them.

MimicCream

MimicCream

MimicCream is a non-dairy, non-soy, gluten-free substitute for cream made with purified water, almonds, cashews, dipotassium phosphate, bicarbonate soda, rice starch, and salt. Check out the nutrition stats:

unsweetlabelNice, huh?  Y’all know my love of coffee in the mornings, and although I’ve given up most dairy products, I’m still doing cream in my coffee.  I’ve tried every substitute out there, and in my opinion, nothing tastes as good as half and half.  I woke up yesterday ready for a cup o’ joe and immediately made a pot of decaf.  My morning mug usually looks like I poured a bit of coffee into my cream, and I had to use more than 1 serving of MimicCream – maybe about 2 or 3 TBSP to get it creamy enough. I also added a few dark chocolate stevia drops.

Almost...but not quite.

Almost...but not quite.

The verdict?  Well, the MimicCream is 100 x’s better than almond milk or any other non-dairy creamer I’ve tried.  It’s no half and half, but it’s pretty darn close.  If the company’s products were available in Nashville, it would definitely be my creamer of choice…especially after yesterday’s lunch…

Creamy Dreamy Alfredo Sauce

Creamy Dreamy Alfredo Sauce

This bowl of pasta was one of the best meals I’ve made in a while, and I can’t wait to make it for CD tonight.  No worries CD – I won’t make you eat tempeh. :) Loosely following a recipe for Alfredo sauce sent with my MimicCream samples, I melted 1 TBSP soy free Earth Balance over low heat.  I then cooked 1 clove minced garlic in my butter and slowly stirred in 1/2 cup MimicCream.  To it, I added 2 TBSP of Marissa’s Vegan Italian Spice Parm (AMAZING RECIPE by the way.  Thank you Marissa!), & salt and pepper.  I topped my pasta with some roasted tempeh marinated in Bragg’s.  Wow!

After a 3 mile walk with the pups, trips to Kroger, Trader Joe’s, Target, and Whole Foods and making this lunch, I was exhausted and in need of some yoga love.  So, I opted for an evening Yin Yoga class. 90 minutes of connective tissue work. Perfect. Came home to  a light dinner and a night in front of the TV with CD. Go Bears!

Want to try some MimicCream for yourself?  Click here to find if there is a retail location near you, and if not, you can click here to order online.  Many thanks to the company for allowing me to review your product…you have a new fan. :)

VeggieGirl August 31, 2009 at 8:03 am

Sounds intriguing!! That’d be fun to use for my baking projects.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 31, 2009 at 8:03 am

Ooooh I have been waiting for this review! Thank you for posting it!! I have seen MimicCream in stores around here for awhile, but never popped for it. I think that’s about to change. Almond milk, coconut milk or any other nut milk leave my coffee just kinda blech in comparison to what half n half does. And in being dairy free, if I am going to cheat, it’s the 1 tbsp a day of 1/2 n 1/2 that will do me in. Not cheese, not butter in other foods…freakin half n half. Sooo, it’s nice to know this is a decent alternative. As I too like a little coffee with my cream. Kinda like dipping sauces, I like a little food with my sauce. Your zuke noodles and sauce look rockin’ too.

Ellen (Peace in Motion) August 31, 2009 at 8:06 am

So glad you posted this! I’ve been looking for an alternate creamer for as long as I can remember.

Chocolate-Covered Katie August 31, 2009 at 8:07 am

Oh man, Heather does that alfredo look good! I don’t have any mimicream, but I do have another one of our shared favorite fun ingredients…

Agar!

Anywhoos… I will be joining you on the Alfredo boat very shortly. Save me some sunscreen, kay?

Love ya mucho!

-Katie :)

balancejoyanddelicias August 31, 2009 at 8:12 am

sounds a nice milk/cream substitute. I’ve been wanting to go 100% dairy free but couldn’t find a good creamy thing for my morning coffee. I’ll definitely try this (if i can find it). :)

missyrayn August 31, 2009 at 8:14 am

Glad you are home safe. That looks interesting. I can’t give up a bit of cream but I might have to try that if I can find it.

Erica August 31, 2009 at 8:15 am

ow! Glad you found a potential creamer replacement!!! I had cream in my coffee this weekend when we were at a restaurant- forgot how yummy it is ;) I usually just use skim milk. That pasta looks jammin- no CD will love his more meat filled version this afternoon. Hope you have a good Monday. I am dragggggging!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 31, 2009 at 8:32 am

That looks like interesting stuff! and yes, GO BEARS!

Ozlen August 31, 2009 at 8:34 am

Hey heather,

Can you help me? Which nustevia product would you recommend for baking and then which would you recommend to make my own hot cocoa for the winter? I think I will give thme a try but there seems so many different products hard to picl. Thanks!

Brandi August 31, 2009 at 8:43 am

that mimic cream sounds interesting. I’ll have to look for it.

seriously, we need to live closer. I was flipping between the bears and iron chef last night.

and I saw your comment on polly’s blog about Old Crowe! We love them and saw them in concert a few months ago. they’re so fun.

I hope you have a great day!

Alison August 31, 2009 at 8:54 am

Yum! That alfredo sauce sounds great! And the tempeh looks interesting too.

Missy Maintains August 31, 2009 at 9:02 am

That creamer sounds great! I am going to check it out! Love your pasta too! I am craving alfredo now!

Schyler August 31, 2009 at 9:14 am

Heather-

Do you think you could review your stay in the yurt and tell us all what you thought about it? After seeing the beautiful pictures, I’m considering renting one myself!

Cindy August 31, 2009 at 9:20 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh so nice to be home???

great car trip eats!

and I am so happy you posted about that creamer..I just saw it and didn’t get it.

I am trying to get off the creamer mate train!

THANKS!

Deb August 31, 2009 at 9:25 am

So the mimicreme is basically a cashew/almond milk with some stuff to get the right consistency? Pretty smart. Seems like it’s about 80 cals per cup for a calorie comparison.

Is it only me, or is anyone else confused about why it says: Servings per container: 63. Servings per container= 32 (creamer). I guess you use twice as much as creamer? Brain malfunction :-) Heh heh.

Hope you’re back into the swing of things at home. Missed ya.

runeatrepeat August 31, 2009 at 9:34 am

That pasta looks amazing :) Glad you’re back safe and sound.

Jenny August 31, 2009 at 10:11 am

are you seriously drinking your coffee out of an old fluff container?? just when i thought i couldn’t love you anymore…

Chloe August 31, 2009 at 11:01 am

Oh man! I just bought some Coffee Creamer this morning, full of chemicals, becuase I’m not eating dairy but I need that fatty goodness to cut the acidity of the coffee. Once my creamer is out I’m definitely trying this stuff. I like how I know what each ingredient is and the nutrition facts look great for a creamer.

Thanks HEAB!

Scott in Ohio August 31, 2009 at 11:24 am

Wow! This is a very exciting product. Great review and meal.

I’m thinking maybe “Peaches and Cream” oatgurt? :)

Maggie August 31, 2009 at 11:49 am

I gotta get this for Bobby – he loves tomato soup with cream, but it makes him sick. He would be so happy about this!!

I can’t believe my little sister is blogging and winning giveeaways. Craaazy.

Happy Monday!

Marissa August 31, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I have a quart sized mason jar FULL of my vegan parm mixture, plus 2 zucchs and I have been cooking them and smothering them with the vegan parm. but now, I have to make the alfredo sauce! mmmm plus I have some kelp noodles, maybe I could make a cold version for those (not a fan of cooked kelp noodles personally).
I have only had Mimiccreme on some blackberry cobbler. The vegan store in town ( http://www.sidecarforpigspeace.com/main/index.html ) doesn’t carry the coffee creamer version yet, but as soon as it does I will be trying it as well. I know you aren’t a fan of the So Delicious coconut milk, but that is what has worked best for me as a creamer.

So glad you enjoyed it!!!

Katharina August 31, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Is that a marshmallow fluff mug?? Where’d you get it?! :)

That creamer sounds good. Especially with almonds and cashews in it! Yuum. I like how you incorporated it in your alfredo sauce recipe. What’s your fave recipe for tempeh by the way? I bought some the other day, and I want to try new marinades for it.

Claire August 31, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I’m going to check into that creamer if just for the purpose
of cooking…looks yummy!Is the Dark Chocolate from Nustevia? I saw those products a Whole Foods,but they didn’t have that…

Rosey Rebecca August 31, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Oh man! I am so excited Emailing you right now! That cream looks awesome! I need to visit their website!

Jules August 31, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Sounds yummy! I should get some, I haven’t tried any non-dairy creamers before but I’ve been wanting to. Thanks so much for hosting the giveaway, and I can’t wait to try those rice protein samples :)

Justine August 31, 2009 at 1:19 pm

That sauce looks fab CCK has a sauce kinda like that that I have been dying to try. Need to get on that asap! Glad your back!

~Justine

Pam August 31, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Hmm I will have to try that creamer! I’m excited that it’s non-soy!

Your fluff mug is so cute!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 31, 2009 at 2:46 pm

OOOH good to know about MimicCream! I am a fan of 1/2 & 1/2 as well and non-dairy milks tend to be pretty blah. However, I’ve been enjoying hemp milk in my coffee–it’s the only non-dairy milk that seems hefty enough to lighten coffee and take away any sharpness. Still, if there’s something closer to the 1/2 & 1/2 I’m intrigued!

Welcome home, HEAB. :)

Maria August 31, 2009 at 2:51 pm

MimicCream sounds awesome. I’m glad you found something that works for you :D The creamy alfredo sauce looks awesome too!

Lainie August 31, 2009 at 3:05 pm

That cream definitely sounds interesting!!!! I would definitely give it a try…

Annie August 31, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Alrighty then… must look up tempeh… wondering why you don’t do dairy but I’m sure as I continue to read “back issues” I’ll figure it out… wondering why you eat “soy free” stuff.. again.. I’ll keep reading and figure it out! uhhh gotta google Yin yoga.. and that’s all my homework for tonight! LOL

I really do enjoy your blog!

misti August 31, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I agree with you on the creamer thing. I went non-dairy about a year ago and half and half is still a mainstay in my diet. Soy…meh, but I can’t imagine almond milk. Ick. I’ll have to look for this stuff.

Liz August 31, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Hmm…non-dairy creamer. I never knew such a thing existed. That “alfredo” sauce with it looks amazing! I think I may have said this before, but you are soo creative with food. I truly enjoy seeing what you come up with day to day.

Shelby August 31, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I would love to try that stuff out! Sounds creamy and delicious. I bet it would be good in oatbran too!

Jess August 31, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Your day sounds wonderful! Love that yoga! :)

Mmm that meal sounds great!
<3 jess
xoxo

N.D. August 31, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Wow – that lunch looks amazing!! yum!!

Steph August 31, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I can’t tell you how good the alfredo with tempeh looks!

Erika August 31, 2009 at 7:38 pm

The alfredo looks so yummy! And I do agree, nothing beats cream in coffee.

Pearl August 31, 2009 at 8:22 pm

oh my gosh – i gotta find this for my mother! she loves creamer in her coffee but doesn’t like things like coffeemate for health reasons. i’ll try to find them!

yogiclarebear August 31, 2009 at 9:48 pm

DA BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia August 31, 2009 at 9:56 pm

What an interesting creamer substitute. That’s great that you were able to cook successfully with it!

Whole Body Love August 31, 2009 at 10:21 pm

What an awesome lunch! I need a spiralizer!

Tiffany S. September 1, 2009 at 11:17 am

I was reading it as Mimi Cream – duh. I’m gonna just keep calling it that (unless I’m asking the Whole Foods guy if they carry it).

Thanks for the shout out to Marissa! She’s my friend IRL, and she’s amazing! I’ll have to try the Alfredo and Parm pronto!

Protein Girl September 14, 2009 at 7:52 am

Oh my goodness! I’ve been using unsweetened almond milk in my coffee. I cannot WAIT to try this!

Becca C. December 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Is this like half-and-half? I’m looking for a non-dairy, non-soy half-and-half alternative and your blog popped up.

HEAB December 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Becca, it’s been a while since I tried MimicCream, and from what I remember, it was decent. No half and half but pretty good. Have you tried the So Delicious coconut milk creamers? Those are the best non-dairy/non-soy creamers in my opinion. Whole Foods and most other health food stores sell them. Hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

{ 2 trackbacks }