My Evil Sweet Tooth

by HEAB on September 1, 2009

I always have to have something sweet with every meal, and I really want to kick the habit.  Breakfast involves coffee with stevia, and although I used to eat my oats plain, I’ve gotten use to sweetening them with rice protein powder.  I usually have chocolate with lunch, and dinner is always followed by dessert.  Even if I do opt for healthier sweets, it’s a still a habit I’d like to break.  I hope to post more on this topic later, but I am not happy with my sweet tooth.  Honestly, I’d rather fill my belly with more protein and fat, but my brain always wants some sweet carby lovin.  No, I don’t think there is anything wrong with a bit of dark chocolate or a post dinner snack, etc.,  but I do think it is wrong for me to cut back on my meal portions so that I can save my calories for a dessert. The goal is to eat what I really want at mealtime and then skip the dessert unless I’m still truly hungry.  I started working on this in Colorado, especially after going out to eat more than usual.  Normally, I’ll order a low calorie dinner so that I can come home and feast on oatmeal and nut butter.  Why not just order what I really want and skip the oats? They will always be there for breakfast the next day, right?

Anyway, here are some filling meals I’ve been loving lately…

Stir-fry Extravaganza

Stir-fry Extravaganza

I roasted/steamed a ton of vegetables…like enough for 5 people, and then tossed them in the most simple sauce: 2 TBSP hummus, 1 TBSP mustard, 1/2 packet of stevia, and just a little water.  So good.  I was stuffed!

Yes, I always fan out my avocado slices. ;)

Yes, I always fan out my avocado slices. ;)

This salad was mixed greens massaged with 1/2 avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, and 1/2 packet of stevia.  I then topped my greens with 1/2 block of roasted tempeh marinated in Braggs and oyster sauce, raw almonds, and 1/2 sliced avocado. Yum…but still hungry, and so I had some dark chocolate.

A letter to the folks at Earthbound Farm Organic

IMG_3084What the hell is this?  Please stop putting it in your Spring Mix.  I HATE it.  Thank you. Sincerely, Heather :)

Deanna Riccardelli September 1, 2009 at 6:34 am

I agree completely with that lettuce like thing in the mix.
My girls love to eat it and I gladly give it to them.

veganfritz September 1, 2009 at 6:35 am

Tempeh and Bragg’s were meant to be together.

Gertrude September 1, 2009 at 6:37 am

I have an evil sweet tooth as well!! I think I need to learn to cut down on sweets slowly. Because I’ve tried a couple of times by not eating them at all for a few days. And then I go crazy and………oh well

There’s this particular veggie that I hate in the pre-packed salad mix I used to buy. It was so bitter and nasty!! I absolutely hated it. But I’d eat them all still anyway. =|

Metta September 1, 2009 at 6:42 am

That green is frisee. I worked at a natural food store in college and there was a cultish following of customers who would speak to management every time the produce department was out of it.

I’m the same way with sweets after dinner. I’ve sort of trained myself so I don’t want anything sweet after lunch, but all bets are off after dinner. Even if I’m full from dinner I’ll have a couple of squares of dark chocolate more for the mind craving, than the body craving.

Erica September 1, 2009 at 6:44 am

The veggie mixture sounds fantastic. Love that you mix in hummus. I will have to give this a try. I do like to have a little sweet with each of my meals, but I try to make it on the healthy side when possible. I.E. for lunch- I will have natural applesauce with cinnamon as my sweet. Or maybe just a hint or ending of nut butter with a meal.

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 1, 2009 at 6:45 am

Oh my gosh, I can relate to SOOOOOOOOO much in this post!

First of all, that ugly thing is frisee, and I hate it too. I can eat a whole box of EF greens in a sitting, so I def love my greens… but sadly I have no love for the aplty-named weird frizzy stuff.

And I’m right there with you on the sweet tooth, except mine would just be a chocolate tooth. I sometimes *know* I should opt for a protein source or something, but all my mouth wants to know about is CHOCOLATE! It’s the same thing with Larabars. My mind wants to try a new flavor such as pistachio… but all my stomach is saying is

CHOCOLATE!

Oh well, I say: Indulge that sweet tooth if you’re doing it with healthy treats. I think I eat (healthy) treats at least three times a day. It’s just not a fun day otherwise ;)

Love,
Katie
(who just wrote a novel… sorry!)

Alix September 1, 2009 at 6:45 am

Hey Heather,

I’ve just started reading your blog…great stuff.

Needing something sweet after dinner is something I really struggle with too. It’s a habit I’d definitely like to break. I’m not sure why I seem to think that the sweet stuff is going to disappear overnight; I can always have something tomorrow if I want it.

But I guess I’m wondering- is it really so bad if we want what our bodies don’t necessarily need? Even if you just got enough calories from dinner, if you’re not completely stuffing yourself to the point of discomfort (uh, a problem I have sometimes)what’s wrong with having that little something extra? I’d say my desserts are at least 90% for my brain. I try to make sure there’s good nutrition in there for my body, too, but sometimes a girl just wants something delicious and nutritionally void. :)

I started seeing a new dietician/counselor last week and she gave me a handout on the definition of “normal eating”. It said that part of normal eating is eating something just because it gives you pleasure, leaving some cookies on the plate for tomorrow because you know they’re not going anywhere, but also sometimes choosing to eat more now because they taste so good when they’re fresh. It amazed me how validating it was to see that included in what’s normal- I really beat myself up a ton for how much I love food. I’m still going to try to move away from dessert every night, though.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded! Hope you have a great day.

-Alix

Carolyn September 1, 2009 at 6:46 am

OMG!!! I examine every box of spring mix top and bottom, to get the one with least of that crap in it…hello yuck… It does have a name and one time i saw a clamshell full of JUST it for sale… It might have even been at Whole foods… Paul, of course, loves it… so you can imagine when i divide a box into salads…his looks like that, and also the purple stuff… It’s one of the reasons i switched just to using plain baby spinach…

Groats are brewing…

Lara (Thinspired) September 1, 2009 at 6:54 am

You know I’m lovin’ that stir fry ;) I know exactly what you mean about “saving” your calories for dessert (or, more often in my case, dinner). It seems silly and not even logical from a nutritional perspective. I need to work on that, too.
Your letter to Earthbound cracks me up. Those things drive me nuts too. I’m moving away from salad blends lately and trying to make my own because I just hate the waste.
Glad you’re back safe and sound!

Whit September 1, 2009 at 6:55 am

I hate that evil curly greenish white stuff too! What is IT?

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 1, 2009 at 6:56 am

Haha, I’ve been wondering what that thing is too!

It’s refreshing for me to hear that you are struggling with the sweet tooth. I had mine under control for a while but here lately it’s been talking to me again!

balancejoyanddelicias September 1, 2009 at 6:57 am

love these salad combos! Feeling stuffed by veggies is actually a good feeling and it goes away just few hours later.
About the sweet tooth, once I thought the same and felt bad to cut my meal portions to have more dessert. But then I wonder, what if what I really want is something sweet? Of course dessert won’t cover all the nutrients that we need, but to have at least small meal we make sure it’s all covered and then go to the dessert part which is what really satisfy us. Listening to our body and eat what we really want is precisely doing that, right? I dunno… I don’t mean to criticize your thoughts, just try to see the counterpart, if you know what I mean… I think what you do is totally fine and you’re doing what you really want to eat. :)

charlotte September 1, 2009 at 6:57 am

I’m totally the same way! Except I’m a fruit junkie. I just feel like I *need* a piece of fruit after every meal or it’s just not complete. I can totally relate to ordering less at a restaurant so I can go home and eat what I really want, lol. Oh and heck yes to a piece of chocolate in the afternoon – I think I need the little caffeine pick-me-up about then;)

PS> We grew frisee (is that how you spell it??) in our garden this year ’cause I thought it would be fun to mix in with our other greens. You’re right, it’s icky. Very bitter!

MelissaNibbles September 1, 2009 at 7:00 am

I had the same battle with my sweet tooth. I found that adding fruit to more of my meals helped to decrease the sugar cravings.

I swear they put that stuff in spring mix just to take up space.

Leila September 1, 2009 at 7:09 am

Such a good point. I totally have found myself ordering a simple salad when out to dinner so I can come home and have whatever is catching my fancy at the time. It’s stupid because I’ll probably just end up having it the next day, so why not wait?

p.s. I second that letter to Earthbound. I live in Canada and we get that crap in our spring mixes too and I never eat it!

have a great day!

livingfreeforever September 1, 2009 at 7:11 am

Yuck! I HATE that stuff in the Spring mix too! I won’t even buy spring mix because of that! I LOVE roasted veggies–probably one of my all time favorite foods:)

Good luck with the sweet tooth–I can definitely relate:)

Oh, just did my first yogadownload class and I’m thinkin’–”WHY have I not done this before???!!! Buying classes online could be dangerous:)

fitforfree September 1, 2009 at 7:14 am

“What the hell is this?”

hahahaha — I can’t tell you how many times I’ve picked up a piece of purple/flowery/weird-looking/bitter green stuff out of a salad mix and thought that!

Jenna September 1, 2009 at 7:15 am

I love your blog!

I have the same feeling after dinner – I “need” to have a sweet. My girls have inherited the same sweet tooth. Last night I took some dark chocolate and dipped it into peanut butter for them, almond butter for me. It hit the spot quite nicely. Sometimes I use my whirlypop and pop some popcorn in coconut oil and sprinkle seasalt on it – that is yummy too and sometimes the saltiness and crunchiness helps with the need for sweets.

The salad looks wonderful – I am going to try the hummus and mustard dressing. Do you use regular mustard? Dijon?

Mara @ What's For Dinner/ September 1, 2009 at 7:16 am

I hate that stuff too!!! i don’t get why its in there, its just gross! I have a similar sweet tooth, and even if i satisfy it with something tiny, it goes away. Better than pigging out, right?

runeatrepeat September 1, 2009 at 7:18 am

Ha, we all hate that lettuce stuff. Maybe we’ll actually get them to stop putting it in!

JENNA September 1, 2009 at 7:25 am

thankfully i don’t have a horrid sweet tooth. But every once in awhile I crave chocolate and ice cream like nobodies business! so random considering i don’t LOVE ice cream.

I’ve been reading some of your archives and your style of eating has really inspired me to exam my own. I have the same problems you were having until you cut out milk products….I really want to cut out dairy but i LOVE cream in my coffee and greek yogurt …..and cheese every once in awhile. I just don’t know if I would beable to cut that out of my every day life. For cereal and smoothies I already use almond milk but sometimes I just need the real thing.

Nicole September 1, 2009 at 7:25 am

I am the same way with ending my meals with something sweet.

“Normally, I’ll order a low calorie dinner so that I can come home and feast on oatmeal and nut butter. Why not just order what I really want and skip the oats? They will always be there for breakfast the next day, right?”

That little part right there is exactly what I do sometimes as well, except replace oatmeal with peanut butter and jelly on an english muffin! I’ve got to kick that habit!

brandi September 1, 2009 at 7:27 am

haha, i Love your “letter” about the random piece of frisee – frisee, right?

I hear ya on the eating less at dinner to “save room” for snacks/dessert. I’ve been thinking the SAME thing lately!

missyrayn September 1, 2009 at 7:30 am

I actually like that stuff…*ducks and runs for cover*

I hear you on the sweet tooth. I try to leave room in my calories for it but sometimes I’m not full enough because I didn’t eat enough dinner. I’ve tried to limit myself to one treat a day. That helps me to know I can have something but not everything. It’s all about moderation. But no lying here because somedays my sweet tooth doesn’t give up and I have a treat with every meal.

gina (fitnessista) September 1, 2009 at 7:33 am

AMEN! i haaaaate those things! they taste like death
the stevia has my sweet tooth raring! i haven’t tried oats for dinner, but i totally need to. i have a feeling it might be the perfect dessert/snack when i get home from school and work at night
have a wonderful day heaby!

Sarah R September 1, 2009 at 7:36 am

I not a big fan of the frisee either! I think it’s even more of a texture thing than a flavor, but either way, I wish they wouldn’t include it.

Erin September 1, 2009 at 7:37 am

Ohh, what a beautiful dinner. I love roasted veggies these days. And avocado of course!
I relate to the sweet tooth thing. I don’t see anything wrong with a little chocolate either, but I think mine is more habit. Like that’s how I signify the end of a meal, even though a lot of times I don’t really crave it. I’m more of a savory girl, so I’d rather just have more veggies/protein in reality. It’s a good thing to remember!
I should have dessert when I want it, but not just out of habit.
I hate those weird things in the spring mix too. It reminds me of the tentacle things they serve with calamari. Which is probably weird.

eatingbirdfood September 1, 2009 at 7:43 am

I’m the same way with always wanting some sweet after a meal. I’ve attempted multiple times to break the habit, but it’s a hard one to break. Lately I’ve been trying to drink tea or hot water after a meal to stop the sweet tooth. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t!! I’m interested to hear more on how the habit breaking goes for you!

CaSaundra September 1, 2009 at 7:44 am

Lol that leaf thing looks like seaweed–eek!

I always like ending a meal with a sweet touch–as long as it’s not a whole cake, or 5 cookies, it’s ok with me!!

When you steam up your veggies do you use frozen bagged, or fresh..just curious :-)

Marcia September 1, 2009 at 7:53 am

I like frisee, but they do tend to be too big, so I rip them smaller for salads.

Generally, I get all my lettuce from the CSA, so I don’t remember the last time I ate it. But I like it!

Graze With Me September 1, 2009 at 8:09 am

Really? You hate that weed-like substance they call lettuce? It’s my favorite part! j/k

I’m with you on the sweet-tooth issue. I’ve seen the transition from when I started my blog at the end of last year and I have managed to break the dessert with lunch and dinner deal. I think it’s easier for me to have sweet dessert-like snacks in the morning and afternoon to keep my cravings at bay.

Jenny September 1, 2009 at 8:19 am

I am a firm believer that a meal is never complete without dessert — i blame it on my momma, the sweet tooth queen!

Justine September 1, 2009 at 8:26 am

At least you save calories for dessert!! I eat what I want and then full or not my monstrous sweet tooth takes charge and I have dessert anyway!! Not all the time of course but when it does that’s usually how it happens. Oops!! Gaw, your veggie stir fry looks amazing!! Totally having one for lunch!!

~Justine

Missy Maintains September 1, 2009 at 8:31 am

I hate those lettuce thingies too! I always toss them!

I have such a sweet tooth! I really need fruit and chocolate after lunch and dinner every day. Sometimes I don’t even save room for it but eat it anyway and make myself stuffed. I think it is okay to treat yourself but sometimes I just overdo it.

Andrea September 1, 2009 at 8:32 am

Hey Heather. Great post! And I totally agree about the tree they left in your salad bag. I HATE those!

Kristen @ Simply Savor September 1, 2009 at 8:41 am

yum that stirfry extravaganza looks ah-mazing! have a great day :)

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) September 1, 2009 at 8:46 am

that stir fry looks amazing – i can’t wait to start roasting veggies when the weather gets cooler. i also have a raging sweet tooth – i WANT something sweet after every meal. usually i just try and tell myself to wait a bit, and if i still want it, i can have it. usually i end up getting distracted, and never go back.

happy september!

Simone September 1, 2009 at 8:49 am

I am trying to do the same thing–nix the sugar/dessert habit and instead allow myself a bigger and more satisfying meal. It’s been kind of a struggle but I am working on it. As for the mixed greens, I love love love the frisse (how do you spell that?!). It is actually my favorite part, haha!

Jillian September 1, 2009 at 8:51 am

I absolutely hate that stuff that’s in the Spirng Mix…so gross! It does not taste good…and it feels weird in your mouth- boo I say!

Nicole September 1, 2009 at 8:56 am

Hey girl
I get my sweet tooth after eating veggies…especially green veggies, onions, and garlic. I had a really nice turkey sandwich with red onions for lunch yesterday and almost immediately had a major craving for something sweet. since I was out and about it was able to wait, but as soon as I got home I dug into the apple crisp I made the night before. (not a lot, just a small amount) but it was exactly what I needed.
I think it’s normal, especially because you eat so many veggies. I truly believe that we have to remember that eating is as much emotional as it is physical and we need to *enjoy* every part of eating. Fulfilling our sweet tooth is a very pleasurable part of eating as as long as we’re being smart about it, I don’t think there should be any shame or any reason to cut it out of our day. Our bodies might not NEED sugar but we also don’t NEED to feel deprived on a daily basis either.
Also, you said you’ll save room for things like a dessert or a bowl of oats–if this is what you’re craving, it makes you happy, and you know you’re going to feel good while you’re eating it and after, then there’s absolutely NO NEED to worry about eating a smaller meal before hand. If it’s what your body is craving then why cut it out? It’s not doing you any harm girlfriend! Enjoy it!!!!

janetha September 1, 2009 at 9:05 am

i have a sweet tooth too but luckily i just use a 30 calorie calcium chew as a crutch to take care of that when needed ;) laughing so hard at the lettuce thing. what the…

elise September 1, 2009 at 9:08 am

THAT is what i call “fancy lettuce” – and i agree, what am i supposed to DO with it?? certainly not eat the tumbleweed?

since im so behind and playing catch up, i wanna know how you like the rice version jay robb vs the whey? i just jumped aboard the jay robb train and like it a lot, but was curious about the rice form. also, which flavor is your fave? thx!

Ellen September 1, 2009 at 9:14 am

haha! it’s frisee. i was just thinking to myself yesterday “WHY are these in here? they’re huge and feel weird in my mouth!” and proceeded to pick them apart into little tiny pieces. defeats the purpose of baby greens to have to use a knife to cut those up if you ask me.

i was also having a talk with myself yesterday about my crazy sweet (and carb!) tooth. i ate a small dinner of veggies with a little chicken, and was totally satisfied. except my mouth wanted some dessert, so i ate 2 servings of chocolate hemp ice cream with pretzels & pb on top. delicious, and could certainly be worse, but i do that sort of thing EVERY day. i should really use those 500 calories for food that is health promoting!

Claire September 1, 2009 at 9:34 am

Haha…I hate those things in my salad mix,too.It takes up so much space in the bag where the good leaves could go.Needless to say,they don’t make it into my salad…
I’ve been trying to get better with my sweet tooth as well.By the end of the day,I just say screw it.I deserved it and so does my body.hehe…Now,if I could cut back.THAT would be really good:-0

Cindy September 1, 2009 at 9:35 am

I hear you on the sweet tooth…mine comes and goes.
I have no idea why but the higher protein meal I eat the faster I feel I need sugar.

I don’t get it.

I quit eating “gasp” candy (except dark chocolat) and so now I am not sweating it so much if I need a bite of something sweet…

why is that though?

evil indeed!

LOL

JW September 1, 2009 at 10:01 am

Can I ask you a question? This may sound stupid, but what is the purpose of drinking protein powder? Is it because you don’t eat much meat and that is a way to get in your protein? What are the benefits? I eat mostly a vegetarian diet as well. Sorry if it was a dumb question!

Holly September 1, 2009 at 10:10 am

I have a sweet tooth like you wouldn’t believe!! I’ve found that if I chug a ton of water (love), that seems to help a little bit. My belly gets too full and doesn’t want anything else. But if I keep going back to the sweets, I usually give in – yogurt, fruit, cinnamon puffins….I just have to have it!

Do you find that when you don’t eat sweets after every meal, it becomes easier and easier?

HealthySDLiving September 1, 2009 at 10:51 am

Your veggies look delicious!
I know what you mean–it’s so hard to not crave a sweet dessert at the end of the night. Lately I’ve been leaving a bar of dark chocolate in the freezer and at night I’ll just take a bite or 2 and so far it’s been enough to satisfy the sweet tooth!

Chelsea September 1, 2009 at 10:51 am

Argh, I hate those little “trees” too. I’ve got a terrible gum habit I’d gladly trade you for your sweet habit. It’s like I can’t think at work unless I’m chewing. Bad!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 1, 2009 at 11:03 am

ACK! Frisee is Nasty McNasterson and you are so right. Why is it always in mixed greens!? I pick it out.

And of course, I so covet your roasties, and I so sympathize with the need to end each meal with something sweet. I have definitely held back on dinner more than once in favor of a fab dessert, but the reality is that just as often I’m satisfied with just a square of dark chocolate, and that is hardly assaulting my health. It’s just the remembering that I’m fine with a tiny portion that’s the kicker!

I am a self-admitted brownie sundae lover, and that’s all there is to it. Achilles heel like whoa.

Tiffany S. September 1, 2009 at 11:11 am

Frisee is evil and needs to be eradicated, and as long as we’re talking to Earthbound – I have to add that I’m not a fan of the parsley in the Herb Mix. There, I said it.

I hear ya on the sweet thing. I’ve been having a couple spoonfuls of coconut ice cream, last night with a little sprinkling of carob chips. I can usually give up ice cream when the weather turns cold and then maybe I’ll try to do a healthy hot cocoa shot.

crossbordercravings September 1, 2009 at 11:17 am

I understand completely! I have a major sweet tooth too. What I do now (mostly) is avoid sweets in the day, then have a treat after dinner. I enjoy it tremendously because it’s my one and only treat and I don’t miss sweets during the day because I know I’ll have one waiting for me in the evening.

Good luck kicking the habit! :O)

Bethany September 1, 2009 at 11:33 am

hahah! I totally agree–you are hilarious!

Maggie September 1, 2009 at 11:33 am

For me once I start eating sweet I can’t go back, so I save it for after dinner. Recently I’ve been doing fruit after dinner (probably not the best “combination”) but it seems to work. Especially frozen bananas and other frozen fruit like melons and grapes.

I hate that nasty green too. Who likes that?? I saw a more mature version of it at my Asian market labeled “kale” and I bought it, but it tasted just as bad or worse… Oh well.

Deb September 1, 2009 at 11:35 am

Honestly Heab, why is the sweet tooth bad- as long as you are indulging healthfully and it’s not messing up your diet? Enjoy! It’s not a crime. :-)

I am no expert (and very much a work in progress) but I find that when I do satisfy my hunger (and soul) fully by really eating what I want, and enough of it, then I’m really too full for dessert. When I restricted myself and ate as few calories as possible, THEN I was DYING for dessert! Not healthy. 100 cals of egg-whites and salad, then 300 cals of popcorn and chocolate? Not healthy!

Deb

greenbean September 1, 2009 at 11:36 am

girl! i have the same problem. fortunately i’ve been able to kill my sweet tooth with some stevia sweetened tea with my meal. i can’t save it for the end of the meal because my sweet tooth likes to travel with a salty companion. if i save it for after the meal, i’ll get the urge to go grab something salty. its such a viscious cycle!

Marissa September 1, 2009 at 11:37 am

We have the same taste buds…NO LIKE THE BITTER ROUGHAGE. Keep the chicory, frisee, endive, arugula, radicchio outta my salad! They make me gag.

Also, I have been trying to cut the sweet a tad too. Not because I am overindulging (though I did eat a pint of Coconut Bliss this weekend…don’t ask…

But because I would prefer for my taste buds to *not* get addicted to the sweet. It is better all around if we don’t crave sweet, as it can lead to NEEDING it. Your buds get a little dulled, and then we add more, and more, and more…

That’s my thought anyway. Trying to cut down on the sweet habit a bit too. Not going to feel deprived, but if I can cut it down by 1 sweet thing a day, or the amount in a recipe by a little…it’s doing some good in the long run I think.

caronae September 1, 2009 at 11:47 am

It’s frisee and it’s definitely very bitter. I can only have it in very small quantities!

Devan Geselle N September 1, 2009 at 11:54 am

i love fanning my avocado :)
I love putting avocado in black bean soup, with spicy salsa, and sweet potato. Delish.
I like those little funny shaped lettuces :) though the other stuff IS better. It makes for pretty garnish anyways!! haha

Lauren September 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Hahaha about the lettuce, I totally agree, it just should NOT be in there….Really, is it even edible… :)

Cindy September 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I love your blog but darn it, Heather, life is short, and God gave us chocolate. For heaven’s sake, eat it! It tastes good! It gives us pleasure–why are women so afraid of food and pleasure?
Yeah, there’s a lot of crap and junk food out there but really, eating sweets after meals isn’t going to cut your life short or cause your world to fall apart.
Eat! Enjoy! When you’re 100 years old and lying on your death bed, are you really going to regret eating chocolate after lunch? Or are you going to wish that you had let loose and eaten more?

CoconutGal September 1, 2009 at 12:31 pm

What the hell is this? Lol you crack me up. I hate that stuff too. It’s like chewing on hair of floss mixed in with your salad! We should start a petition!! xoxo I love ya! Um and hello- sweet tooth? You are talking to the queen!

Jenn September 1, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Ha! I cracked up re: that lettuce. I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s such a sad excuse for a vegetable.

Love your blog, I’ve been following it for awhile! :)

Marina September 1, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I too need a desert after my meal. I usually eat some fruit after it, watermelon works like a charm :) or some pb, something like that. I won’t eat a whole piece of cake or a cookie, I’m satisfied with something healthy and light.

Heather September 1, 2009 at 1:21 pm

All American women need to do is look to our fabulous French counterparts! They eat all the things we label as “bad”, cheese, bread, butter, chocolate, wine, yet….they are healthier, live longer and have a better, more balanced relationship with food than American women ever will. Where did we go so wrong and when did eating stop being about pleasure and happiness and start only being about nutrients!

HEAB…..LET YOURSELF EAT CAKE!

Ozlen September 1, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hey I have been meaning to tell you my own dessert idea.. I know you don t eat dairy neither do I most of the time that.

I read about this wonder at another blog that I no longer follow Anyhow. Friendship brand cottage cheese that is whipped. Whipped cottage cheese it is 2% and I LOVE to top it with AB for sweet protin (umm the cheese does not need protein really as it packs a whopping 16 rd per 1/2 c) and then top with sweet peaches, bananas, berries. Oh it is really good. I even use it on my morning oats lately. Pretty much the same way.

I will watch your blog to see a response from Earthbound farms because I wonder that as well but I eat it anyhow, yea I am cheap that way, buy it eat it :)

kim September 1, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I have an inherent sweet tooth too… it’s my major vice. Recently I’ve been digging into Rice Dream again since it’s sugar free. But when I was trying to cut back on sweets, I started by drinking a glass of lemon water with no calorie Stevia after dinner and that really did the trick. It tasted delicious, cleans out the kidneys, and kept me from wanting a “real” dessert. But honestly, when things get stressful I reach for the Rice Dream again. Sometimes I just need to tell myself I’m having a real dessert.

Faith September 1, 2009 at 3:03 pm

im going to play devil’s advocate and say you should show your sweet tooth some compassion! our body NEEDS CARBS! they aren’t bad. we can create healthy sweets, and it is okay for us to indulge once in awhile. i hate how society has made us think this is wrong! i mean, how can rice protein in your oatmeal be bad???? by denying yourself, you’re just setting yourself up! show heather some sweet love!!

Susan September 1, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Ditto on that leaf thing! I always pick them out. They always give me a bitter bite in an otherwise tasty salad.

I have a crazy sweet tooth too. Except, I satisfy it through fruit. Not always a good thing though, because I eat and crave toooons of fruit.

Jules September 1, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Haha I’ve always hated that weird salad thing, too. It’s so annoying when you’re eating a delicious salad and then all of a sudden you take a bite of whatever that thing is.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a sweet tooth, but I can see where you’re coming from. I’ve had a huge sweet tooth my whole life, and it gets a little annoying sometimes.

Samantha September 1, 2009 at 3:42 pm

LOL I hate that stuff in the spring mix too and always pluck it out as soon as I bring the container home from the store.

Looking forward to you expounding on the sweet tooth. That is my major downfall too and its ridiculous! I can easily turn down fried chicken, mac n cheese, gravy, all kinds of artery clogging, not balanced stuff, but have zero control around anything sweetish.

Lainie September 1, 2009 at 3:46 pm

That’s funny – I hate that weird lettuce in the spring mix too. It just doesn’t add anything…tastes like a weed!

I have a horrendous sweet tooth too. I know you’ve said in the past you don’t eat much fruit, but sometimes, a piece of fruit is all it takes for me.

Kelly September 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Thats frisse and i love it!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 1, 2009 at 4:12 pm

There’s nothing I could say that hasn’t already said in the 72 comments before mine. See what I get not having googlereader access for 9 whole hours…Anyway, I actually kinda like frisee, I think I am in the minority though it’s lookin like from a comment scan. And your sweettooth…well here’s something coming from a mom perspective that may comfort you…when a baby nurses from mama, the milk is incredibly sweet. Tastes nothing like other milk, it tastes like it’s been sweetened with coconut and agave. Don’t ask me how I know this…anyhoo, blame your sweet tooth on your genetic need for survival. Babies crave the sweetest milk. There’s my take :) And adults, well we get to make choices and enjoy our sweets. Lord knows, I enjoy mine. Usually in moderation, but I can relate to the calorie-save up for sweets twisted logic. I’m guilty as charged. Thanks for a great post! xoxo hugs, averie.

Nabeela September 1, 2009 at 4:28 pm

That’s frisee as everybody has pointed out. I LOVE that stuff….I guess I’m the only person here with that view though, yes? ;)

Savannah Brentnall September 1, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I hate that frisee stuff, too! It’s so bitter. I gave up on the Earthbound Farms mix and switched to Trader Joe’s Baby Lettuce mix instead.

Btw, trader Joe’s has a fantastic sugar-free dark chocolate. Two squares of that after a meal satisfies all my sweet cravings.

There’s also the freeze-dried fruit that’s available now. It comes in individual foil packets kind of like potato chips. It satisfies the sweet AND the crisp carb cravings, while being completely healthy.

Pearl September 1, 2009 at 4:55 pm

that’s in my salads, too! i always have such an awkward time chewing through it (or even trying to fit it in my mouth!)

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write September 1, 2009 at 4:58 pm

OMG Sign my name to that letter. I hate that crap. Frisee or whatever. My exhusband used to call it mouse feet. I have no idea why, but it’s gross in that way lol.

Pam September 1, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I hate those trees!! I feel like I’ve been finding more and more of them in my spring mixes!!

M September 1, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I love your blog, Heather. Usually, I completely agree with your thoughts and think you’re the epitome of balance and strength.

I think you are being way too hard on yourself! I actually think it’s healthier — more balanced — to allow yourself the dark chocolate every day. Yes, every day!

M September 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Dreena Burton just posted on a similar topic, may be interesting to your readers.

Deb September 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm

OK! Virtual Dog-Pile on Kelly!

Deb September 1, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Forgot the :-D

(just so you know I’m kidding!)

Deb September 1, 2009 at 6:14 pm

And Averie and Nabeela. The anti-frisee dog-pile!

Erika September 1, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Ha! I laughed out loud at your message to the lettuce company regarding the frisee. For something that looks kind of pretty, it is just nasty filler stuff.

And I have a sweet tooth too. But not so sure I want to get rid of it! :)

Adi (oatonomy.com) September 1, 2009 at 7:08 pm

My sweet tooth is so intense I think it’s my alter ego.

I try to tell myself “don’t worry, you can always have ____ tomorrow, it will still be there” but I seem to think the Sweet Snatchers will invade in the night and steal ____, so I just eat more _____. Sigggh. Oh well! Life’s too short to get bothered by it!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) September 1, 2009 at 7:17 pm

HAHAHAHA! Someone is passionate about her lettuce!

Cinde September 1, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Lol! Your “What the hell is this?” post is hysterical! I think everyone feels that way about the strange spikey lettuce in the spring mix.

Cheers!
Cinde

Gluten Free Taste of Home

The Freebie Fairy

Contributor ~ Delight Gluten Free Magazine

psychoj1 September 1, 2009 at 7:35 pm

HAHA! Heather, you crack me up and I love that about you :) You’re straightforward, in a completely good way!! I love that stir fry!
<3 jess
xoxo

Heather (be well & take care) September 1, 2009 at 7:35 pm

FRISSEEEEEEEEEE!!! I hate it and I want it OUT of my spring mix. My brother always tells me that when I make salads for family dinners I need to hand pick all the “fuzzy pieces of lettuce” out – ha.

I am so feeling you on the sweet tooth thing. I need to cut it out but it’s so hard. Good luck dealing with it! For me, it isn’t so much about eating a piece of dark chocolate every day because that is fine, but it’s the “empty” feeling I get if I don’t have something. Having a few squares of dark chocolate is different than feeling like I NEED something at night – a brownie, albeit a healthy one, a bowl of coconut milk ice cream, a big smoothie, etc. It’s hard to find the balance between moderation and indulgence, for me.

Annie September 1, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Friseeeeee… it’s friseeeee.. also know as curly endive!!!…gosh i’m just shocked *I* know something about something green that you didn’t know?? flabergasted.. LOL.. I decided to google frisee and see if it had anything special in it that might change your mind (after all I’ve seen some of the weird stuff you eat and i’m sitting here thinking “and frisee freaks her out?” go figure!) Anyway, I thought you’d get a kick out of this quote from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-frisee.htm

“Frisee is a type of chicory that has exploded onto gourmet plates. The exotic plant resembles a lettuce gone horribly awry, with a pale green explosion of frizzy leaves that adds a frisky note to green salads.” Soooo… if you want to add a “frisky note” to your salad.. ROFL… this killed me..

hehehe
Annie

hayleycepeda September 1, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I’m probably just repeating everyone else, but I agree about the weird salad thing. I usually end up eating it anyway – I kind of mask the taste with salsa and avocado or hummus. :) I kind of liked what Cindy had to say though – when I’m on my death bed I’m probably going to look back and think, “Why did I freak out so much about such stupid things as indulging in dessert?” On the other hand, I was finding myself craving sweet stuff all the time when I used Splenda. I can’t stand Stevia so I just cut out all artificial sweeteners completely. Occasionally I use agave in dressings, etc, but other than that I’ve learned to just enjoy the taste of food as it is. I keep thinking about trying Stevia Nu Naturals, but honestly I don’t want to get hooked on anything else. Again though – moderation in everything…even moderation. :)

This ended up way longer than planned!

Nicole September 1, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I have a crazy sweet tooth as well which I think only developed during college, when the only “good” food I could count on was dessert. Before then I rarely ate brownies, cookies, or candy. It has taken me a year away from that seen to break my cookie habit. I definitely still feel the need to snack on something, but at least now it doesn’t have to be sweet. I’m working on breaking that habit as well, but it’s one thing at a time.

For me as long as I don’t immediately give in, as in you don’t fulfill the reward circuits, I think it’s okay. As long as for the most part you are eating a balanced diet. As you’ve said time and time again, our bodies are smart, and resilient, and they tell us what we need. It’s okay to save room for the oatmeal, you’re not going over your calorie need, and to a degree if you’re craving it, you’re brain might be asking for the carbs. While we don’t need nearly as many carbs as the average person eats, we do need them…it’s the fuel that feeds the mind. Proteins and fats are not easily converted to glucose for brain fuel.

Steph September 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm

haha, I totally agree about the spring mix. and although I embrace my inner sweet tooth, I know what you mean about holding out for dessert to often. your stir-fry looks delicious!

yogiclarebear September 1, 2009 at 9:28 pm

ditto. i hate that spikey shit.

heather, i wonder if (i know i do this) you find things wrong with yourself that really aren’t a problem, for other reasons. you feel you need to change something so you focus it on…? you eat healthy, you take care of your body, etc. why are you feeling badly about the sweet tooth? maybe it is something else manifesting in the form of a food issue. am i being totally stupid?

WholeBodyLove September 2, 2009 at 12:13 am

LOL I have found those in my spring mix so many times! What they are, I have no idea. Wierd.

Sarah September 2, 2009 at 1:02 am

Well, for those times when you DO go for the oats, I just saw this video and thought you might enjoy ;) “How to Cook & Top Oatmeal…” http://www.chow.com/stories/11620

Shelby September 2, 2009 at 4:44 am

My sweet tooth is bad too! Sometimes I just can’t control it. When I should be eating veggies…I just want a big bowl of sweet oatmeal. But whatever right, I’m going to eat what I want.

Stir-fries have been my dinner almost everynight this week! So good.

Gena (Choosing Raw) September 2, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Ooof, that is one gorg salad.

As a sweets lover, I really enjoy sweet spins on savory foods — like cinnamon and a touch of stevia in grains, or a little raw honey in salad dressings!

mandyrd September 3, 2009 at 10:54 am

I have a few ideas for you regarding the sweet tooth. Not sure if you’ll read them, but here goes…
-If you eat a salty meal, you will tend to crave sweets afterwards. Have you ever noticed how much you crave dessert after eating in a regular restaurant? I have reduced my sodium, and it has helped a lot. I also try to avoid the known salt offenders (like soup and dressings) at restaurants.
-Chew gum after meals
-Prolong the dessert after dinner. Tell yourself you’ll wait for an hour and eat something if you then truly feel like it. You could always substitute fruit.
-We usually buy a small container of ice cream or some other small treat. Once that’s gone, then we don’t have any desserts until the next week. We just don’t keep pre-made sweets around the house, not even chocolate. My husband doesn’t like sweets, which helps!
-Mandy

stacy September 4, 2009 at 11:12 am

Hi! I just started reading your blog and love it so far!
Here’s a tip that sometimes works for me: brush your teeth right after lunch and dinner, before you have time to make a dessert. If after a few hours you’re still hungry, have something else, but usually brushing my teeth is a good way to really re-evaluate and figure out if whatever I want to eat is worth going to the trouble to brush my teeth again!
Also, I hate that rough stuff in the lettuce bags, too! It’s bitter and gross and I don’t know who enjoys it!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope September 6, 2009 at 10:31 am

hahah omg, the last part of this post is cracking me up because I always end up with that funky piece of lettuce in my bags too and HATE IT!!!

fartygirl September 6, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I’ve found that sucking ginger mints after meals really helps curb the need for sweets.

{ 1 trackback }