Weekend Fun

by HEAB on September 9, 2009

Yesterday’s post caused some interesting feedback.  I posted late Monday night and then deleted my first sarcastic letter Tuesday morning because it sounded mean-spirited, and that is so not my style.  Sometimes I just get really worked up and passionate on certain topics if you haven’t noticed.  My diet is by no means perfect, but I’ve seen what a difference clean and pure eating can make in a person’s life.  I work for an integrative medical doctor, and some of our patients are walking miracles. It’s amazing how the human body can heal itself when given proper nutrition.  AMAZING. Anyway, thanks for all the supportive comments and emails.

Chris and I went out of town this past weekend to visit old friends and to see Chris’s family.  We had a blast, but I am ready to just chill in Nashville for a while. My eats and workouts got a little out of whack with all our travels as of late, and I’m looking forward to settling back into a routine.

Breakfast while staying at a friend’s house…

Their pantry was stocked with ypical HEAB foods.  Rolled oats, nectarine, and PB.

Their pantry was stocked with typical HEAB foods. Rolled oats, nectarine, and PB.

On Sunday afternoon, CD and I went to a major league baseball game.  I cut an avocado in half, put it back together and packed it in a Ziploc bag along with a plum to eat if I got hungry.  Ate the following instead…

My annual MLB dog.  Yes I did.

My annual MLB dog. Yes I did. Again, I by no means eat a perfect diet. PS - I love grilled onions.

On Monday morning, I awoke super early to get in a little yoga flow of my own. I did about 30 minutes or so and then ran up the stairs of our friend’s apartment building, all 34 floors.  Afterwards, I made up for the hot dog with a very tasty breakfast and some good company.

Mara of What’s For Dinner was kind enough to pick me up and take me to breakfast at Heartland Cafe.  Mara, it was so good to finally meet you in person.  You are hilarious, and I know we would hang out often if we lived in the same city.

Veggie omelet sans cheese with brown rice, salsa, and avocado on the side.

Veggie omelet sans cheese with brown rice, salsa, and avocado on the side.

Me & Mara. :)

Thanks again Mara for a wonderful morning!

In regards to the “your food looks like the diarrhea of the orphan kids I took care of for 6 months in Nepal last summer” comment yesterday, I leave you with…

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

She does make a good point. ;)

VeggieGirl September 9, 2009 at 8:09 am

Heather, love ya always! Don’t let haters make you change a thing.

Hooray for meeting up with Mara!!

BAHAHAHAHA oh CD ;)

Evan Thomas September 9, 2009 at 8:10 am

Haha, aww, I’m not sure whether to laugh at that comment or not

missyrayn September 9, 2009 at 8:13 am

Why is it that burnt ball park hotdogs just taste good even if I would never make them myself? Ahhh the mysteries of baseball.

That comment is harsh but hilarious at the same time. And I love CD’s response. So funny. :-)

Alix September 9, 2009 at 8:13 am

OMG that hotdog! Yum. I had some mean BBQ this weekend myself. I agree, grilled onions make absolutely everything taste better. They totally elevate ok food to awesome.

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 9, 2009 at 8:13 am

Ugh my hotmail account isn’t working, so I’ll email you soon (hopefully!)

Haha so cute that you raided your friend’s pantry :)

balancejoyanddelicias September 9, 2009 at 8:17 am

HEAB bowl is so pretty and yummy, as always! :)
glad you met Mara, she’s so fun to hang out with!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 9, 2009 at 8:29 am

I had SO MUCH FUN meeting you!! I really do wish that we lived closer, because I could go for fun and meals like that on a daily basis. I’m glad you had a good trip, and hopefully i can make it down to your neck of the woods sometime… maybe a road trip?

Melanie September 9, 2009 at 8:31 am

I love your writings about your food philosophy, and after living with my father, who’s had Diabetes for the last eighteen years, I can attest to the fact that the body doesn’t need added sugar at all…although it’d be nice for him to stop using artificial sugar substitutes, too. FYI, I had oatgurt failure this week (must have left it out too long), but homemade almond butter success! Hope you have a good day.

brandi September 9, 2009 at 8:44 am

CD cracks me up – too funny :)

I hope you guys get some time soon to get settled back in Nashville, and I’m so jealous you two got to meet!

love all the avocado on that plate.

Lara (Thinspired) September 9, 2009 at 8:45 am

Hi Heather! Oh, that hot dog looks so good, good for you for enjoying it :) And honestly, of all the blogger meet-ups I’ve read about, I would have LOVED to have been at that one. What a fun pair you guys must have been. The food looks good, too ;)

I have a post up that I would love to get your thoughts on when you get a chance. Or actually, maybe more on my follow-up post, when you have time.

xox

Carolyn September 9, 2009 at 8:49 am

…i’m def making that breakfast for me and PB, as best i can duplicate it, from your Hartland Cafe visit … great looking combo…!!

MelissaNibbles September 9, 2009 at 8:49 am

Meh. As long as it didn’t taste like vomit, who cares?

I’ve yet to try a peach in my oats. I guess I better do it before they’re out of season!

Rose September 9, 2009 at 8:50 am

So glad you got to meet Mara! She’s a doll :)

Meghan September 9, 2009 at 8:50 am

The true measure of success in blogging is when you’re popular enough to get trolls. :)

JENNA September 9, 2009 at 8:52 am

diarrhea Must appeal to me!! I think your food always looks super good and so healthy!!! :) I’m glad you had a great weekend!

Pam (Highway to Health) September 9, 2009 at 8:53 am

I eat a ball park hot dog once a year too! There is just something about them.

Don’t let the mean spirited get you down!

Claire September 9, 2009 at 8:54 am

I feel an obligaton to eat a yummy Nathan’s dog at a game.My brother and I went to a Yankke game last year and it definitely needed to be part of the experience.hehe…

foodcents September 9, 2009 at 9:27 am

Who gives a damn what it looks like, rather how it tastes and how it nourishes your body.

No need to be perfect when it comes to eating, you do a good job, HEAB’s and a hotdog once a year is just fine:)

Erica September 9, 2009 at 9:28 am

hahahhahahahah the CD comment of the day rocks. Whatever! Commenters can be crazy and brutally honest, can’t they? I loveeeeeeeee grilled onions too. They are seriously so delicious. Glad you had fun with Mara- cute pic of you two :)

Marissa September 9, 2009 at 9:48 am

The interwebz are so easy to be obnoxious on because you can say things as a nony mouse ;-)

I bet your innards look a lot better than the innards of the woman who commented on what you eat.

Lori September 9, 2009 at 9:52 am

That comment really made me laugh because when I blended up my kabocha my kids said it looked like baby poop. They were right too! :) Funny how some things that don’t look very appetizing taste amazing and they are good for us also!

Tasha September 9, 2009 at 9:54 am

Hi there! I’m new to your blog, and just wanted to say hi! I love your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your posts..although I still have more to go :) I’m trying hard to get healthy and took alot of advice from your blog so thanks for sharing. I loved seeing in one of your posts, that your feeding your dogs a yam/sweet potato!! LOVE IT. I make natural dog food for a living and people don’t understand what true nutrition for their animals mean. It was wonderful to see! Everyone thinks I’m nuts that my dogs snack on banana’s and snap pea’s!! LOL Anyway just thought I’d say hi =)

Tasha

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 9, 2009 at 10:12 am

Your oat bowl looks so happy and sunny with the yellow nectarines. I am thinking you were in Chicago. I am from Chicago (well Minneapolis) and it’s such a great city…but so chilly and not really my scene to be that cold. I need it hot, baby! Don’t apologize for your previous post, btw girlfriend. Your blog, your rules, your posts…nuff said :)

Trilby Drew September 9, 2009 at 10:41 am

Ohhhhh man! Is that Wrigley Dog?! I LOVE grilled onions with a passion that cannot be contained. If by some chance, that isn’t a Wrigley Dog, you MUST try one at Wrigley Field the next time you and CD are in Chicago. Hmmmm… Wrigley Dog… (makes Homer Simpson drooling noises)

jacobc September 9, 2009 at 10:46 am

OMG, you did not. CD, is this true? ;-p You are right about the onions though!

That omlet looks good- and colorful! I’m going to have to get more creative and find something in addition to my mushrooms, onion, and ham..

You better patent kobacha baby food asap, and sell it to gerber, i know the babies would love it! Hey, they have sweet potatoes and yellow squash baby food, why not?

Didn’t you just get back from a 6 week vacation in colorado, and already another vacation?! I guess you better start planning your vacation for next month.. Hey, we get interesting stories and great pics, so i won’t complain ;-)

Cheers, Jacob

glidingcalm September 9, 2009 at 10:47 am

AH MARAAAAAAA! i love herrrrrrrrrrr

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 9, 2009 at 10:50 am

Your omelet looks delicious. It has inspired some thoughts about the frittata I’m making for dinner tonight. mmmmmmmmm

Scott in Ohio September 9, 2009 at 11:03 am

Hot dogs always taste best in Chicago. Even better at a ballgame.

Did you wash it down with an Old Style beer? (~:

Maria September 9, 2009 at 11:33 am

LOL at CD, as always! You must laugh all the time because of him ;)

It’s so good to hear that you splurge on treats like hot dogs too. Although I must say that omelet looks delicious as well!

Enjoy yourself at home =)

buffmuffy September 9, 2009 at 11:49 am

oo i had no idea that was your job. it sounds really amazing and inspiring!
i didn’t see your letter- have been busy… nothing wrong with expressing yourself though :)
lol that is quite a funny comment you got. esp since the omelet… oh nvm :) haha!
still looks appetizing though :D
-muffy

Liz September 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Wow, you got some very strong opinionated comments from your post yesterday. I read through some of them and was just like “woah!” But I guess that’s what happens when you put yourself out there…but you really shouldn’t stop saying your opinions, I agree with them and enjoy reading your blog! :)

psychoj1 September 9, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Awesome meet up with great food! Love that you had that hot dog! You’re such an inspiring person! Such amazing balance. In terms of both food and yoga ;)
<3 jess

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 9, 2009 at 2:08 pm

SHUT UP! Someone actually wrote that in the comments? HAHAHAHA, I’m going to have to go back and read through.

What is perfection, anyway? Whatever it is, I think you do way better in the health department than the majority of Americans. But sometimes you gotta let your freak flag fly, and if that means a ball park hot dog to you, then there ya go. It means pizza to me, and I’ve pretty much decided that that’s going to have to be ok. :)

livingfreeforever September 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

LOL! Someone told me yesterday that my smoothie looked like something you would see in a babies diaper! Oh well:)

Erin September 9, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I love you Heather. We are so similar. Grilled onions are delicious.
Every day reminds me I stink with moderation too. I’ve been making my life less sweet, and have a happy belly for it.
And I completely agree with your analysis of that nutritionist.
Have fun getting back into routine. I feel like I’m still learning mine, it makes me happier to have one.

Lainie September 9, 2009 at 4:24 pm

GO YOU for eating that hot dog! Looks delish.

Melissa S. September 9, 2009 at 4:47 pm

grilled onions are the best thing ever. they go on everything!

Heather (be well & take care) September 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Haven’t commented on the first post yet because I’ve been behind, but I agree with it 100%. I get that everyone has an opinion and that’s all fine and dandy. Some people can do sugar in moderation. Would I prefer to sweeten something with brown rice syrup or agave nectar instead of white cane sugar? Yes. But it’s still the same, in terms of numbers, but I’d prefer it came from a purer state. With that said, that’s MY personal opinion – I know that I will never give up sugar 100% but I know that soda and candy are not necessary and make me feel ill. A homemade granola bar made with honey or agave is never going to leave my diet, but it is definitely not an everyday thing. You’ve definitely helped me accept certain things about my diet and made me question others through your personal experiences. If people don’t like what you have to say, then they shouldn’t read it. I’m personally all about your brutal honesty! Love it.

Also: OMG, Chicago! Love it and miss it. Glad you had a great time.

jenngirl September 9, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I think have a hot dog at the ball park every once in a while is a VERY healthy habit! Keeps us well rounded :)

Getting back into the routine after a trip is always fun too.

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) September 9, 2009 at 5:57 pm

SO much fun to meet blog people in real life.

Sarena September 9, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I think your food looks good! Glad you had a great time!

traveleatlove September 9, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Nom that hot dog looks good. I love toppings!

Samantha September 9, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Pretty is as pretty does. ;)

That breakfast looks just beautiful and yay for meeting new people!

I rather enjoyed the sarcasm in your first letter. More people could benefit from having some passion.

Jules September 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I’ll laugh at CD’s comment but the other one was mean :(
Your oats always look so good. Every time I see them I want my oats to look as delicious.

Annie September 9, 2009 at 9:11 pm

eheh…I have SO thought the baby poop thing before… very funny… I’ve also been in a bit of awe at just how much you can eat rolled oats and not get sick to death of them.. amazing! Glad you had a super weekend… and glad you BLOG ON!!

kendra little September 9, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Oh, wow, the heartland cafe!!! I used to live in Rogers Park years ago and I loved eating there. I miss that place so much! They really seem to have something for everyone, including my every mood. Thanks for posting the link

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm

You are passionate about your beliefs and that brings out some haters- screw’em!

So proud for you nixing the avocado and opting for the HOT DOG!! YESSS!

BTW, Diarrhea is my favorite food group!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 9, 2009 at 9:36 pm

forgot to mention how jealous I am that you had 30+ flights of stairs to climb :-D

broccolihut September 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Ah, it’s been far too long since I had some good peach oatmeal.
Love me some grilled onions too!

WholeBodyLove September 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I’m actually eating some oats with hemp protein powder, yogurt, banana soft serve and bluberries as I read your blog. Now that I take a good look at my meals…maybe she IS right

organicashley September 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm

you know I love you Heather but you don’t need to make up for the hot dog. Once in a great while is fine.

Rosey Rebecca September 10, 2009 at 4:54 am

Your veggie omelet looks awesome! I love CD’s comment!

Hanna M. September 10, 2009 at 6:43 am

I love how you (and CD) just make the nasty comment into something silly, instead of letting it get to you. Way to go! Glad you enjoyed the hot dog :) :)

Abby September 10, 2009 at 6:59 am

Now let me preface this by saying that I have NO problem with what anyone else does and I don’t want anyone to get mad at me for saying this (as bloggers are quite defensive of their favorite bloggers). Heather–I envy the way you eat and wish I could afford to live as you do. Much love to ya.

However, I do find it ironic that of all the things you splurge on, it’s a hot dog made of mystery meat parts from a ballpark vendor.

There is nothing wrong with this, but considering your post on the evils of sugar and how one piece of fruit or a slice of birthday cake isn’t acceptable for most people, I just found it ironic. Being a vegetarian, the occasional hot dog is much more unappetizing to me than the occasional fruit sorbet or piece of chocolate (not much of a sweet tooth here, but just for example).

If you had never posted the “letter” post, I would have thought nothing of this and thought it was great that you let yourself splurge once in awhile. However, considering the strength of your stance, I did find it interesting.

CaSaundra September 10, 2009 at 7:30 am

Yum! That dog looks mighty dandy & delish ha! :-)

Cherie September 10, 2009 at 8:45 am

If the poor orphans in Nepal had diarrhea for 6 months, maybe she shouldn’t be taking care of them.

Tiffany S. September 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

Glad Abby got that off her chest. What a hot dog has to do with sugar is beyond me.

Anyhoo – good on you HEABS!

CD is the huzbomb!

Abby September 10, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Hi Tiffany,
I knew someone would get defensive.
All I meant was that for some people, their “hot dog” treat might be a piece of cake or something else “forbidden” by Heather and many others. How is a hot dog full of nitrates and mixed meat parts any better than a piece of cake? How can she come down so hard on people who might like a sugary treat once in awhile (not me, by the way) when the majority of the country is fat from fast food meats and hot dogs?

That was my point. We all have our things and it was just interesting to me that the recent post was so harsh about ANY sugar, yet nitrates and hot dogs could be consumed without worry.

I obviously don’t think sugar and hot dogs are related nutritionally speaking and I had no problem with your HEABs.

Glad you got that off your chest.

M September 10, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Honestly, when a dissenting opinion is actually courteous and civil (like Abby’s), I think it should be treated as respectfully as everyone else’s. The orphan post was heinous, but Abby’s raised a fair point without name calling and hostility.

Shelby September 10, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Classic HEAB oats, I love it. I haven’t had PB in so long…I usually buy AB, but now I’m craving the good ol’ stuff.

I don’t know if I should laugh at that comment or not. I’m giggling right now, only because if they knew how good the food tastes, they would totally change their mind!

Jenn (eating bender) September 10, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Oh my gosh. I just now went back and read that diarrhea comment. CD is hilarious :) Of course, I’m not giggling at the fact that someone actually wrote that on your post. That’s just ridiculous. Agree or disagree, that comment was uncalled for. I think you should stand tall in your convictions and the fact that you left the comments open for discussion shows that you have an open mind and are willing to talk about these issues. That’s what counts.

Gotta love Mara! Ugh, it breaks my heart a little bit that I wasn’t able to be here with you ladies. Next time!! And I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can see you in December!

{ 2 trackbacks }