Nashville Plan Update

by HEAB on September 10, 2009

Before we left Colorado to come back home, I posted some of my thoughts/goals for my return to Nashville.  You can read about them here.  This morning I was thinking about them and thought I’d share an update.

• Fermented Foods – I’ve already finished off a batch of oatgurt, and our fridge is stocked with miso paste and tempeh.  Check.
  • Caffeine – I’ve been drinking mostly decaf.  Every few days, I might add a scoop of regular to the pot, but I no longer feel addicted to it. Check.
  • Macrobiotics – Haven’t done much with this to be honest.  However, it still interests me.
  • Oat Bran – Duh.  First thing I ate after going to the grocery store. Check.
Fall themed oat bran: vanilla protein oats topped with apple, walnuts, & cinnamon.

• Fish – Our freezer is stocked with wild Alaskan salmon, and I’ve been thawing out individual servings for our dinner at night.  Last week, I made Faith’s Pouch Perfect Salmon. Delicious. Check.
  • IMG_3101Seaweed - So excited about this one.  I’ve been incorporating soaked arame into my dishes.  So easy!  For last night’s dinner, I soaked the arame for about 20 minutes, and then rinsed it before adding it to a bowl of quinoa, roasted veggies, roasted tempeh, Braggs, and oyster sauce.  YUM! Check.

IMG_3121

• Books – Totally bombed on this one. I did so much reading in Colorado, and I miss it.  Definitely need to work on using my time more wisely.
  • Walks – I’ve been taking walks almost everyday.  Although I miss the amazing mountain views, I’m loving spending time outside moving. Check.
  • Yoga – I’ve taken several classes since I came home, everything from Yin to hot Vinyasa classes.  Last week, I went back to 12th South Yoga, Nashville’s local Iyengar studio for a beginner’s class.  My brother scored me a free pass – thanks Scottie! The class was super basic, but I liked the focus on form. Just what I needed. Check.

Funny thing is, I hadn’t really thought much about my goals until this morning, but I actually followed through with most of them.  I think all that fresh mountain air really did me some good!

Another goal I had upon my return was meeting up with some fellow local bloggers/readers. After emailing with some of you, I was thinking dinner at Calypso Cafe on Elliston Place one night soon.  So, if you’re in the area, please email me if you’d like to join us.

I hope everyone has had a good week thus far…it’s almost Friday. :)

Erica September 10, 2009 at 9:26 am

I’ve been focusing on writing down and following through on my goals as of late! I am really enjoying it. Love that oat brean- apples and walnuts? YUM!

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 10, 2009 at 9:27 am

I LOVE love love arame!

True, I’ve only tried it in All-the-Way-Arame Salad, but it is awesome stuff.

I think I need to branch out and try it in other recipes…

Love,
Katie

Mandy A September 10, 2009 at 9:30 am

you know I’ll be there :)

missyrayn September 10, 2009 at 9:36 am

How cool that without thinking about the plan you have actually made some good strides on it. That shows you really picked things you could follow through with instead of lofty goals that had no basis in reality. That’s pretty inspirational when it comes to making my own goals.

Whats the difference between regualar yoga and Iyengar yoga? I live in a teeny tiny town and the only classes offered are Hatha, vinyasa, and yin.

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 10, 2009 at 9:37 am

I love your goals, and I think you are off to a great start. Now if you could just eat a bowl of fish oatbran with tempeh on top while walking and reading a book, you’d have it made!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 10, 2009 at 9:39 am

Oh, i wish i were local :)
I need to get back on my oatbran-for-breakfast kick. I love the stuff! Any non-sugary suggestions (besides green stuff) that are satisfying for more than an hour? I have to cut back on the white stuff.

buffmuffy September 10, 2009 at 9:40 am

i want to take mountain walks… i love walking and being outside. unfortunately i live in plain ol omaha, nebraska. lol :(
the oats look awesome!!
-muffy

Holly September 10, 2009 at 9:45 am

work it out on those goals – i need to make some of my own. however, i try to do to much, then do nothing and so sometimes, it’s best for me to take the pressure off and just keep livin’.

i like your style HEAB – especially that apple and walnut brekkie. delish!

janetha September 10, 2009 at 9:46 am

sounds like your plans are coming along nicely. and how rad to accomplish your goals without really having to think about it!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am

Good for you! That oat bran looks delicious. I’m looking forward to including more apples in my oats now that Fall is coming and apples will be the best :)

Brandi September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am

yum, i love the looks of that fall oatbran.

sounds like your goals were the right ones since it’s been so easy to do most of them!

oh, and i guess I need to move to TN so I can get in on this meet up, huh? :)

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 10, 2009 at 10:22 am

Heather – what’s your thought on decaf coffee? A lot of people say that it’s full of chemicals that come from the decaffeinating process. I’ve never really looked into it, nor do I drink decaf. Just wondering what your take is?

VeggieGirl September 10, 2009 at 10:28 am

Awesome updates – enjoy!

kaneil September 10, 2009 at 10:34 am

love the goals – great job, HEAB! Do I have to mention how jealous I am. I want a Lucayan salad soooo baddddddly. :(

Enjoy! I will email you when the wedding gets closer. I think I’ll be in Tn on Oct 13 or 14.

take care!

Maria September 10, 2009 at 10:40 am

I love the fall themed oats! I’ll have to check out that delicious salmon recipe as well :)

Although I eat all types of seaweed, I don’t think I’ve tried arame, but I’ve been hearing so many good things about it!

MelissaNibbles September 10, 2009 at 11:47 am

I’m going on vacation tomorrow and there are a number of things I want to do when I get back. You’ve inspired me to write them down and really hold myself accountable this time. Maybe I’ll do a blog post of my own. Thanks :)

Pam September 10, 2009 at 11:50 am

Sounds like you are doing a great job keeping up with your plan! The other things will come with time!

greenbean September 10, 2009 at 11:51 am

just the thought of driving to nashville from atlanta to sit down and eat with some ladies that eat the way i do (weird, healthy foods, restrictions and all) is soooo tempting!

Evan Thomas September 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Sounds like you’re doing good with the challenges. The salmon sounds the tastiest to me

Scott in Ohio September 10, 2009 at 12:19 pm

REAL apple and cinnamon oats? You mean you they don’t always come from a pouch? (`:

Very inspiring to see someone doing so well with their goals.

Wish we were closer to N’ville…Christina and I would join you at Calypso in a heartbeat. Looks like a great place!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Hi Heather, rock on with the fermented foods! Thank you so much for swingin by my bloggie yesterday and commenting about the homemade (easy!) coconut milk kefir I groove on. I can’t do soy so miso and tempeh are out. I am going to try to re-incorporate miso and see if I become and allergenic mess (thinking I will) but gonna try it.

I love your goals. Reading and walking are both high on my list. I have more books than I have time, that is for sure!

Basic yoga classes force me to just pay attention to things I may not otherwise think about, like internal rotation of the hip flexor or something really super subtle that you just gloss over in a faster-paced class. Glad you enjoyed!

xoxo :)
averie

RunToTheFinish September 10, 2009 at 12:58 pm

ohh maybe I should make some goals for my new life in Miami…in fact yes i very much should!! thanks for the ideas

Maggie September 10, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I actually don’t know if I’ve ever had arame… I must have, but I can’t remember. I’m putting it on my list :)

Ozlen September 10, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Still waiting on that exact recipe for the oatgurt. I got my groats ready and waiting. But no rush!! :)

foodcents September 10, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Good work, Heather:)

VeggieGirl September 10, 2009 at 2:19 pm

P.S. – Dulse (seaweed variety) is a daily staple of mine – try it if you’d like :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 10, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I second VeggieGirl’s comment–love me some dulse. It does a ton for a boring salad! I love that plate you made with the arame though, especially the roastie part. :) Might have to try that myself!

Shannon, The Healthy Beach Bum September 10, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Ah, I love Fall inspired foods. That oat bran looks delicious! Have a great night HEAB :)

Samantha September 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Good job dear Heather! Sounds like you’re doing great things, without even having to try!

The apple pie-ish oat bran, ohhh yum! And that salmon looks so pretty. I’m always afraid to cook fish except on the grill. Not good with it. But will look at the recipe. I’ll live without the seawed. ;)

It’s nice to see someone so advanced in their yoga practice still get something out of going to a lower level class and taking advantage of it. My body has been in beginner mode this week, I’m lucky to not break my nose on the floor in standing splits or hold a warrior for :60!

I’ve been slack, I will send out a joint email this morning to you and Terry about the asda yoga idea. Have a beautiful day/night!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 10, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Great job on kicking the caffeine! I neeeed my coffee still.

The quinoa looks good! I really wish I liked this food. I’m a weirdo and I think it’s not so good. But I may have just not cooked it right…three times… :)

Jordan September 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Here’s a link for macrobiotic info… (from the UK)

If it doesn’t give you what you are looking for, maybe it can provide some links or some ideas in the content to dig deeper on.

I really like your sensible approach to yoga, form first. Not about who can bend the farthest, etc. Ego out the door! Have a great night.

Lainie September 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm

That’s awesome that you met so many of your goals without even really thinking about it. A meet-up would be so fun…if only I lived in Nashville…

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) September 10, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Hmm, arame- a new one to try. Glad you got to the Iyengar studio and didn’t need to bring your blankie and teddie bear b/c it was so boring. I always learn something when I take a basic class despite the fact that I’ve been practicing for so long.

Soooo glad you’re achieving your goals!
D

Shelby September 10, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Those fall oats look SO GOOD. I already had oats today but after seeing that picture, I want more!

faith September 10, 2009 at 4:51 pm

good job on your goals heather! i keep trying ot make some and get overwhelmed with the present mumbo jumbo..blah!! glad you liked the fish, num num and good for the tum tum!! i’m going to be changing up some of what i’m eating as well, i may need some blended oats tutorials!! i also need to start walking in the afternoons, especially after these blasted treatments are over, so we need to hook up girl!! also…if god puts me there, i may be in nville after xmas????

Jules September 10, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Congrats on doing so well on your goals! I love it when you forget you even had goals and then you realize you were doing them anyway :)

Meredith September 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

I love your fall themed oat bran! And go you taking walks every day :)

Jess September 10, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Fabulous list of goals! I wish I read more–this is going to sound like a horrible excuse and it totally is–but I just don’t have the time! I mean I read for school. For instance we’re reading the Iliad right now! Talk about confusing! :D Haha, hooray for oat bran!

<3 jess
xoxo

Steph September 10, 2009 at 8:38 pm

all very commendable goals and I’m happy to see you’re doing well with most of them. reading is something that’s always on my to-do list as well but I never take the time…we’ll have to work on that!

Annie September 10, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Arame? Dang I learn something new all the time…. oatgurt, chia seeds, ABU.. on and on.. mmmmmmm I’ll add it to the ever growing list of new things to try!

Congrats on your subconscious leading you through your goals… wish I lived in your area would love to meet up with ya… y’all have fun! and Blog On!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch September 10, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Hey Heather!! Your food all looks delicious, love the fall themed oats! I’m definitely up for Calypso! Can’t wait to meet everyone! :)

The Foodie Diaries September 10, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Haha your oats were very similar to mine this morning!

-Sarah

The Foodie Diaries September 11, 2009 at 4:15 am

Haha your oats were very similar to mine this morning!

-Sarah
Oops…forgot to say great post! Looking forward to your next one.

Jenny September 11, 2009 at 6:19 am

Glad you’re getting back in the groove upon returning to Nashville, it always feels good to accomplish our goals ;)

Megan September 11, 2009 at 7:12 am

Yay for accomplishing goals!
I recently eliminated caffeine too and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as horrible as I was expecting it to be. :)

Nick September 11, 2009 at 7:21 am

You know, I hear so many mixed things about caffeine. Coffee is supposedly dehydrating, but I drink a ton of water so that’s fine. Caffeine can cause heart palpitations and anxiety in excess. It’s also addicting – but don’t forget delicious! But then I hear things like the recent study on coffee’s ability to significantly reduce the risk of getting alzheimers as well as reduce the effects of alzheimers if one already has it. I can only drink about 2 cups of coffee a day anyways, otherwise I get a little shaky. I’m torn, so I keep drinking.

Lauren September 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I just wish we had Sunshine Burgers in Canada! And was the new grain amaranth? Millet?

Sarena September 12, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I admire you for writing down your goals. I am the worst when it comes to that! I need to get better about it. I just finished making a batch of oatgurt and have been enjoying it the past couple of days…I do love it!