Alfredo Adoration

by HEAB on September 14, 2009

I grew up on Fettucine Alfredo and Spaghetti Carbonara, and for some odd reason, did not like marinara sauce at all.  My pasta had to be covered in cream and lots of it.  These days, I love my Marinutta, but sometimes, I crave that creamy dreamy goodness.  Please allow me to share with you my quest for the perfect non-dairy Alfredo Sauce…

Attempt #1

Where's the sauce?

Where's the sauce?

After discovering soy-free Earth Balance, I immediately whipped up a batch of Chocolate Covered Katie’s Three-Ingredient Alfredo Sauce and served it over steamed veggies with roasted onions. Katie’s sauce always looks rich and creamy, but mine turned out a bit too thin.  I want to try making it again because I did love the taste.

Attempt #2

MimicCream - please come to Nashville!

MimicCream - please come to Nashville!

A couple of weeks ago, I used my MimicCream samples to make the above Alfredo Sauce.  The recipe was easy as well as delicious, but alas, I cannot find MimicCream in Nashville.  It’s available online, but I already spend so much money on groceries, that I have outlawed online food purchases.  Hey Artisana & Futters Nut Butter people, that includes you. Please start selling your products at the Whole Foods in Nashville. Thank you.

Attempt #3

IMG_3134IMG_3136

Finally, my beloved Alfredo and I have been reunited.

Finally, my beloved Alfredo and I have been reunited.

I’ve had Gena’s Alfredo Sauce bookmarked forever, and why I just now tried it, I’m not sure.  Thank you Gena!  I’ve been pouring this sauce on everything, and I always top it with Marissa’s Vegan Italian Spice Parm.  Please try this combo!

Tamara of Defining Wellness is doing a Behind The Blog Series, and I was honored when she asked me to participate. Please click here to read my interview.  Thanks again Tamara.

Enjoy your Monday!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 14, 2009 at 6:38 am

Oh the creamy dreamy deliciousness :) I’m on a search for a lower-fat alfredo type sauce that isn’t full of chemicals… it’s proving to be a fairly fruitless search :(

Erica September 14, 2009 at 6:47 am

Isn’t it so funny how our tastes change as we get older? I can’t imagine you not liking marinara!! Your latest attempt at alfredo looks just awesome! Love the brussels (I haven’t had them in forever :( ) Hope you have a good week.

VeggieGirl September 14, 2009 at 6:51 am

Looks incredible!

missyrayn September 14, 2009 at 7:03 am

Looks good but I don’t like Alfredo. Something about heavy cream sitting in my stomach makes me sick. Does this feel the same in your stomach as regular Alfredo? If it is healthier all around I may give it a try.

Gena (Choosing Raw) September 14, 2009 at 7:49 am

So glad you liked it, my dear! I’m going to be posting another creamy pasta sauce soon, so stay tuned!

Leah September 14, 2009 at 8:04 am

That alfredo sauce looks so lovely! I am definitely going to have to try it soon!

Evan Thomas September 14, 2009 at 8:21 am

Wow, looks like an impressive and delicious line-up of recipes!

Brandi September 14, 2009 at 8:21 am

can I just put in a request for a TJs or WFs while we’re at it? :)

Have a great monday!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 14, 2009 at 8:32 am

Thanks for the great alfredo saucy concoctions you saucy mama, you! Just kidding :)

Online food purchases…yeah, I can totally relate, that’s just kinda gotta be outlawed. I did just buy some PB2 online (haven’t received it after a mere 14 days…yikes!) but yeah, local shopping is so much better for not only the local businesses but your wallet, too. You should just talk to your local WF about carrying the stuff you want, I know mine are flexible to an extent. Maybe worth a try? But I’m sure you’ve already bugged ‘em :)

Riss September 14, 2009 at 8:47 am

Mmmm… looks delish! I love creamy sauces, so I can’t wait to try this one out!

I promise I’ll give teff another shot. Thanks for the link – I’ll check it out and try for round two on the teff adventure!

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 14, 2009 at 9:03 am

Heather Adoration.

Oh, and I wanted to send you something and wanted it to be a surprise, but I am a dork and accidentally threw out the box with your address, so could you send it to me again?

Love,
Heather’s #1 Fan

*waves pom poms*

The Foodie Diaries September 14, 2009 at 9:24 am

Haha I was the same way when I was younger. Hated the red stuff… Glad you found a replacement!!

Sarah

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 14, 2009 at 9:26 am

I do love the cashew alfredo sauce! It’s a bowl-licker, for sure. Now that marinara AND alfredo are back in your life simultaneously, why not combine? I would call this a shameless plug except it was actually really good and it sounds like you might like: http://www.soapandchocolate.com/2009/08/rawsta-la-rawdka.html

Now you’ve got me cravin’ alfredo!

Missy (Missy Maintains) September 14, 2009 at 9:36 am

The sauce looks delicious! Great replacement!!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 14, 2009 at 9:41 am

Oooh, I am going to give those a trial! I use cashews a lot for creamy.

You might like the Pesto-Inspired Creamy Pasta in my book, it is pretty rich and creamy too and nut-based. I have had a lot of good feedback on that one :)

Oh how I’ve missed reading your blog!

Teresa September 14, 2009 at 9:58 am

Heather you saucy girl! While all the sauces do look delish, it’s all those greens bursting beneath the sauces that are making me SALIVATE! Yum YUm Yum! And I must go and make Gena’s alfredo now, as I too have had it bookmarked for far too long.

Devan Geselle N September 14, 2009 at 10:56 am

i am kind of scared to eat alfredo.. even “healthified” .. my mom used to make it all the time.. and it was kind of a trigger to me in my ED.. maybe I should brave it!?

Leah September 14, 2009 at 10:58 am

Hi Heather – I was just curious (this really doesn’t have anything to do with your post but…) … do you ever get a sense of envy (for lack of a better word!) when you read blogs of runners who compete in races and things? I know that you used to be a runner, and now you stick to workouts such as yoga and walking/hiking etc – so I was just curious if you ever think you’ll go back to running or if you feel that where you are at currently with exercise is where you’ll stay?

joelygolightly September 14, 2009 at 11:14 am

Oh I love Earth Balance- it was such a great discovery at the grocery store!

Graze With Me September 14, 2009 at 11:24 am

Looks great, I’m not a huge fan of cream sauces but I bet this would be good in a tuna noodle casserole of some sort.

And thanks for reviewing teff in the last post. Definitely piqued my interest.

Marycela September 14, 2009 at 11:39 am

I agree with Erica (2nd comment) that our taste buds change as we age and thank God for that! I always come to your blog for good food inspiration- but nutritionally and as well as for the taste buds. Thanks Heather

Tammy September 14, 2009 at 11:41 am

My pleasure! Thank you for participating! It was great to interview you!

Claire September 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

I’ve stayed away from Alfredo sauce for years because of dairy.I need to get some Mimic Cream:-) cc

Marissa September 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I still haven’t tried your combo, but I must! You could probably make a little carbonara action with some bacon salt! ;-)

Oh and I MUST have some Futters nut butter now. My goodness…why oh why don’t they sell it here in Seattle? I KNOW my local co-op would love ‘em. Too bad we don’t live closer, we could go in on online ordering!

Erin September 14, 2009 at 1:08 pm

That alfredo sauce is amazing! I really need to try that parm. I miss it, but have bee really happy with the results of avoiding dairy.
I’m also feeling MUCH better. Thank you for your kind words and advice.

Tiffany S. September 14, 2009 at 1:27 pm

The lovely Amy Green of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free just posted this yummy looking Teff recipe: http://www.simplysugarandglutenfree.com/carrot-date-spice-muffins/

It looks like a keeper!

Yummy looking sauce (I love that you just keep trying – that’s such a great part of you!). I just ordered my spiral slicer so I’m about to go on a zucchini “pasta” KICK until Chris begs for whole wheat pasta again! (maybe I’ll mix the two together like you’re supposed to do with little kids!)

Great posts – as always. Sorry no employee discount for you (yet).

24carrots September 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I had an entire conversation about nut butters this morning and proclaimed MaraNatha Almond Butter Crunchy as my #1! I don’t give anything for Teff…but I do like Kamut as a snack which is kind of weird grain too. Here’s something I just made with it…vegan granola bars: http://wp.me/pAp5c-7Z

Marcia September 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm

You know, I’ve had some items that I wanted at our local grocery store. Every time I went in, I filled out a request.

Took a few months, but they started stocking them!

hayleycepeda September 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Gena’s raw alfredo is one of my favorites and I actually just made the same thing! I haven’t yet tried it over broccoli, but man does that sound good! So does your marinutta sauce…I need to make me some of that! :)

jesstyler September 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm

OK, gonna try this this week. Hubby is out of town, so I have no one to give me weird looks over the dinner table :)

I, too, am not a big fan of marinara sauces. For me, the ratio of sauce to pasta is always too much. Plus, I prefer my tomatoes raw. YUMMY

Jenny September 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I used to be convinced that alfredo was one recipe that could NOT be healthified.. you’ve made me a believer :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) September 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Why is it that when I make something it never comes out as nice looking or tasting as on other blogs!?!?! Grrr. Yours looks amazing.
D

Angharad (Eating for England) September 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Number three definitely looks like the winner! You’re making me crave creamy, cheesy pasta…I see a carbonara on my horizon!

allijag September 14, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Now I’m hungry! I can’t wait to get home and make dinner! :)

dewtakeflight September 14, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Those sauces look delicious! I also have had both Katie and Gena’s sauces bookmarked. Looks like I have to start blending soon! :)

I just put up a new post and would love to have your advice! If you have a chance it would mean a great deal to me if you took a look. http://Www.dewtakeflight.wordpress.com

Keep inspiring!
Talia

glidingcalm September 14, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I’ve never really been an Alfredo eater, but you make it look so delicious! And your veggie eating is so inspiring to me! You always make them look amazing.

Thanks for your never ending wonderful combos!

HAPPY TUESDAY HEAB-STER! Love youuuuuuuuu

Maggie September 14, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I just read the “behind the blog” interview! Very cool :)

I have to agree about Gena – all of her recipes are fab.

sara September 14, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Heather,
I read your blog often (found you through Polly!) but I don’t think I’ve ever commented before. Anyway, I think you are rubbing off on me. I love my veggies a ton but tonights dinner was definitely HEAB-esque. Baked sweet potato topped with broccolli, tomatoes, and garbanzoes sauted in cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. With organic ketchup for dipping of course. YUM! I’m probably the oddest college kid known to man. Forget the pizza and beer…give me sweet potatoes and kombucha please! Thanks for the great blog.

WholeBodyLove September 14, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Back when we ate out every week, Mallard and I would go to The Olive Garden and split the Fetuccine Alfredo with extra alfredo for dipping breadsticks…we never even looked at a menu! We always ordered the same thing. Now that we are more aware of our finances and I am more aware of what I put into my body, I do miss that creamy sauce. Thanks for the great recipe links!

Jules September 14, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Ooh, that alfredo sauce looks so good! I’ve been meaning to try some vegan alfredo sauce for a while. I saw a recipe on veganyumyum, but Gena’s looks so good, too! Great interview full of lots of good, inspiring advice :)

Heather (be well & take care) September 14, 2009 at 8:04 pm

All your alfredo bowls look sooo good – I think I’ll have to make one soon! Gena is a genius, for sure. Bookmarking this!

Shelby September 14, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I could eat Gena’s Raw Alfredo for the rest of my life and never get sick of it. So good.

Melissa S. September 14, 2009 at 8:54 pm

i’m the exact opposite…never one for creamy sauces but rather the tomato ones!

but yours looks delish!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 14, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I’ve been wanting to try Gena’s recipe too, but I don’t have miso. What is it? Do I have to have it? Sorry to be a pest, but I know you’ll give it to me straight. TWSS.

justine September 15, 2009 at 7:25 am

Yum heabs!! Whole Foods in Nashville is carrying Artisana but not the nut butters. What is wrong with them??? Didn’t the Fitnessista have an Alfredo sauce recipe? I am going to look back and see. I am to cheap to be buyin all those nuts!!

~Justine

CaSaundra September 15, 2009 at 7:26 am

It’s always great to find a way to have old favorites in ways that fit your new style of eating!! I love veggie burgers because they satisfy my “burger” craving even though I have not eaten red meat for 5 yrs. Looks fabulous and I don’t even like cream sauces!

Scott in Ohio September 15, 2009 at 7:28 am

Looks great with those veggies! #3 it is.

I have the same question as Sarah (LovIN My Tummy)…is miso necessary? Is there a substitute?

Christina September 15, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Um yes, we’re making this next week… YUM!

N.D. September 16, 2009 at 7:18 am

Oh yum! can’t wait to see how ice cream turns out!

тёткa November 27, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Любое искусство, особенно не совсем традиционное, всегда вызывало ожесточенные споры. Думаю, оно просто имеет право на свое существование, вот и всё!