As Promised…

by HEAB on September 18, 2009

An all raw ice-cream recipe:

Chocolate Cherry Coconut Raw Ice-Cream

Chocolate Cherry Coconut

After combining several recipes I found online, I came up with the following when CD requested another batch of homemade ice-cream.

First I made the chocolate chunks:

Stir together 2 TBSP warm coconut oil (it’s need to be in a liquid state), 2 TBSP cocoa powder (we’re running low on cocoa, and so I actually used carob), and 1 TBSP maple syrup.  Spread on a piece of parchment paper and place in the freezer while you make the ice-cream.

Next up, ice-cream.

Blend the following:

• 1 cup raw cashews soaked for 1 – 2 hours.  I skipped the soaking.
  • 4 TBSP coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup young coconut meat.  I didn’t have a coconut on hand and used 4 TBSP of Artisana raw coconut butter instead. Could probably sub unsweetened shredded coconut as well.
  • 1 cup frozen cherries
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 2 packets of stevia
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of sea salt

Pour into ice-cream maker and follow freezing instructions. About 5 minutes before the ice-cream is done, add a few more frozen cherries and the frozen chocolate/carob for chunkage factor.

This recipe was really rich and creamy…almost a bit too much.  I’m all for some healthy fats, but I’m going to try and tweak the recipe a bit…maybe try it without the coconut butter, or perhaps unraw it with the following:

The So Delicious folks have done it again!

The So Delicious peeps have done it again!

Just when I was longing for a non-dairy creamer that A) was available in my area, B) did not contain soy, and C) did not go by the name Sugar Free Vanilla Coffee-Mate, I get an email announcing a new product from the brilliant folks at Turtle Mountain, makers of the So Delicious product line.  They now make a coconut milk creamer.  I thought I’d died and gone to heaven when I opened my box of samples. Expect a review very soon.

In closing, a shout-out to my adorable little brother pictured below.

Ain't he adorable? :)

Ain't he cute?

His just launched his company, Start My Song, a web application where anyone can upload their new song demos ready for publishing. Anyone else in the world can listen to and rank the songs allowing Start My Song to create a TOP SONGS list directly on the homepage (http://startmysong.com/). All one needs to do is visit Startmysong.com to begin hearing today’s newest material from songwriters everywhere pre-filtered by the end users. The PLAY ALL button makes it even easier as one can just sit back and listen while the top songs playlist plays the newest hits in order of popularity. Be sure to check it out.  Super cool, and I’m so proud of you Scottie!!  Um, I mean Scott. ;)

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 18, 2009 at 9:05 am

Holy raw ice cream! I want to bite into my screen! You’re going to cost me a new computer now, Heather.

Thanks a lot! Grrr… ;)

VeggieGirl September 18, 2009 at 9:05 am

WOWZA that ice cream. **swoons**

Congratulations to your brother on the awesome music!!

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 18, 2009 at 9:05 am

P.S. I saw that creamer the other day but didn’t buy any because I don’t really drink coffee… but I’ll be interested to see what you think of it.

Heather (be well & take care) September 18, 2009 at 9:09 am

1. OH MY GOODNESS, I wish I had an ice cream maker. My favorite vegan ice cream is TJ’s Soy Creamy Cherry Dark Chocolate, but no soy for me anymore. Except tempeh. I don’t need another appliance right now, so maybe I’ll just come to Nashville and beg for this!

2. I’ll be keeping an eye out for that creamer! The Coconut Milk is sooo good. Can’t wait for a review!

3. Your brother sounds awesome! I’ll spread the word to my musician friends. What a great idea.

Krystina September 18, 2009 at 9:22 am

yum at the coconut milk creamer! I can’t wait to try that.

also, I hate to be a stickler, but maple syrup, stevia and run-of-the-mill cocoa powder aren’t considered raw foods. I encourage your readers to sub raw agave and cacao powder if they want to raw-ify your awesome recipe.

Chelsea September 18, 2009 at 9:23 am

This ice cream looks way tastier than the butternut squash ice cream (although I’d probably be tempted to try sweet potato ice cream so I shouldn’t hate too hard on the squash). Congrats to your brother. I’ll have to check out the site.

Marissa September 18, 2009 at 9:24 am

Oh my GOD! I really wish I had an ice cream maker now!!!

Do they even make ice cream makers where you don’t have to freeze the bowl? I’d have to eat through a lot of food to make room for a bowl in mine.

Sheesh lady! I am drooling all over my keyboard!

On my to to list today:
Order some Stevia (is the NOW brand the best tasting?)
Buy a new knife (My Ikea knives are too dangerous now)
Make more Cashew butter

And your brother is VERY cute! I bet he makes all the ladies swoon ;-)

brandi September 18, 2009 at 9:28 am

that ice cream sounds like my dream flavor.

congrats to your brother!

and coconut milk creamer?!? yum. I hope they sell that here sometime.

veganfritz September 18, 2009 at 9:41 am

…StartMySong? ready, set, bookmark.

The Foodie Diaries September 18, 2009 at 9:43 am

Coconut creamer? Ooooh my

Lauren September 18, 2009 at 9:57 am

That website is awesome! Congrats to your bro! I’m listening to the Top Songs and it’s good stuff!

Jordan September 18, 2009 at 10:14 am

day-um! or da-YUM! That looks incredible. Ice cream maker may be getting added to the birthday wish list.

Congrats and good luck to your brother with the website.

Tiffany S. September 18, 2009 at 10:14 am

Oh my Goodness! My Coconut Bliss Cherry Amaretto is gonna be SO jealous!

I’ll have to check out the creamer!

Awesome photo of your brother (but maybe he doesn’t take a bad pic. I’m beginning to think no one in your family does). I’m not much of a music girl but my brother-in-law is a musician so I will send it along!

Have a GREAT weekend!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 18, 2009 at 10:22 am

See, this is why I can’t get an ice cream maker. I’d be making stuff like that ALL the time!!
VERY cool about your bro :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 18, 2009 at 10:26 am

Looks good, but yeah, I think you could skip the double dose of coconut for sure. The cashews add so much richness to the mix already.

Let me know how that So Delicious creamer compares to the other options, I want to update with it if good, but I am not a coffee drinker myself and like my tea straight-up!

Evan Thomas September 18, 2009 at 10:34 am

hazelnut creamer? Yum! I’m looking for that from now on

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 18, 2009 at 10:53 am

OMG, I must get my hands on that creamer!!!

JENNA September 18, 2009 at 10:54 am

this whole post was filled with awesome-ness!!! :) I can’t wait to try that raw ice cream!!!! I’ve been wanting a non-dairy creamer that is actually ‘creamy’…i can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it. That is so cool your little brother started startmysong.com!!

JHunt September 18, 2009 at 11:22 am

Wow that ice cream looks incredible. I have got to get an ice cream maker and got to try this!!!!
-Jessica @ http://howsweet.wordpress.com/

Maggie September 18, 2009 at 11:28 am

Your brother’s company looks cool! I’m sending it to Bobby. I think he’d really like it. And Bobby’s sister, who writes her own songs too.

Mmm… carob.

veggiebooty September 18, 2009 at 11:43 am

I laughed out loud when I read “I mean, Scott.” A few years ago, my brother stopped responding when I called him “Jordie,” telling me that his name is Jord-AN. I argued that I’m his big sister and should be allowed to call him that; I lost.

After seeing this post, I may NEED to add “ice-cream maker” to my birthday wish list. Yum-my!

veggiebooty September 18, 2009 at 11:44 am

Oh, and P.S. Your brother’s website sounds awesome – what a cool idea! I can’t wait to check it out.

balanceinbites September 18, 2009 at 11:54 am

YUM! Nice ice cream, there! I was thinking of making some strawberry sorbet soon…. mmmm.

And yes, your brother IS a cutie! ^.^

balanceinbites September 18, 2009 at 11:55 am

Oops – I forgot to include my website >.< It's http://www.balanceinbites.com !

-Allison

Fallon September 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I love the So Delicious coconut milk line! Thank you for sharing there new creamers. Now this gives me an excuse to find a good decaf coffee to use this new creamer. I hope my Wholefoods will carry it! The perfect treat to the cooler days ahead of us.

Heather Ezell September 18, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I’m SO making this today!

Gena September 18, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Hooray for raw ice cream! It’s a world I have yet to explore, but having a sore throat right now is good motivation.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm

When I was living in San Diego about 2 months ago I went on a field trip to a local ice cream purveyor that does have some regional west coast distribution at WF, HFS’s, etc. Called Tomberlie’s. Anyway, they are raw vegan ice cream that gets made one batch at time in their Blendtec, serious. Anyway all they use are raw coconut meat, cashews, and agave. And maybe a dash of water from the coconut meat bin they have it sitting in. That’s it. So you’re onto something. And all of Matthew and Sarma’s books pretty much just say coco meat and cashews. But yeah, holy rich n decadent :)

Do you find the Artisana coconut butter to be a different taste/flavor combo that say straight up unrefined coconut oil (which always tastes too strong for me like I am eating a pina colada despite buying really good quality coconut oil). I’d love to try coconut butter (artisana but dont wanna waste $ if it’s too coconutty).

And the So Delicious creamers….freakin’ heaven on earth. OMG I cannot wait to try them. This stokes me even more than Mimic Cream!!!! Woooooohooooo!!!!!!

glidingcalm September 18, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Congrats to Scott! That site sounds so cool, and that is really cool picture of him!

You are a genius with recipes!! Love the ice cream action. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

HAPPY FRIDAY BEAUTIFUL HEAB!

Alison September 18, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Wow…that recipe sounds great. And I love the idea of using coconut butter instead of coconut meat.

Scott in Ohio September 18, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Great ice cream recipe. From the ingredient list, it sounds incredibly thick. No?

I’ll be passing your brother’s site on to many people. What a cool concept!

Have a fantastic weekend!

homecookedem September 18, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Awesome job Scottie! ;)

You really need to make a HEAB cookbook filled with all of your genius ideas. Seriously. I’d be buyin’ it!

Happy Friday!! :)

N.D. September 18, 2009 at 3:51 pm

um, delicious!! yum! I want an ice cream maker bad!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 18, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Oh gosh that looks frightfully good.

I love your bro’s website. I’m listening to Memories (not the one you think of) and it’s GOOD!

Funny b/c I did a post on my blog on my little brother too- for Flashback Fridays that Janetha does!

I really need to get an ice cream maker.

Have a great night!
Deb

Jules September 18, 2009 at 4:42 pm

That ice cream looks awesome! Good luck to your bro :)

Jenna September 18, 2009 at 5:42 pm

wow, the raw ice cream looks great :)
jenna

The Liberate Homemaker September 18, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Wow! This looks sooo good. I’ll have to try it, but right now the Butternut Ice Cream recipe is about to go into the ice cream maker. Thank you for your foodie risks!

RunToTheFinish September 18, 2009 at 7:05 pm

what a great project your brother started! it’s a fantastic idea

the ice cream sounds too rich for me, which says a lot from this sweet tooth

Jillian September 18, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hello dear Heather! :)

Your ice cream looks absolutely delish! I wish I could create this stuff. Wait, how did you leave CO without me (selfishly) begging for you to fix me one of your famous dishes? Oh well, guess it’s yet another reason for me (and the girls too) to come visit you in Nashville! :)

I was in Boston all week visiting New Balance, so amazing…and am slowly adjusting to real life. A perfect time for John to leave for vacation, which he did today. :)

Hugs to you…hope all is well and you are happy:)

Julia September 18, 2009 at 8:38 pm

All raw ice cream! NO WAY!

psychoj1 September 18, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I want to eat the ice cream off the page right now! YUM!
That’s amazing of your brother! What a fabulous idea!
<3 jess

WholeBodyLove September 18, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Congrats to your lil brother! That ice cream looks as good as Cold Stone Creamery’s.

Mandy Unruh September 18, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I miss the rain! Living in Southern California, we gets none. We just get bright, piercing sun (I know, boo hoo). But this Midwest girl with Irish skin could use a cloud or two.

xoxo

Scottie September 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Scottie is fine sis :)

thanks for the shout out on Start My Song and thanks to everyone for the positive feedback!!!!

-baby bro

CaSaundra September 19, 2009 at 7:06 am

Ooo what a neat recipe! I love anything coconut flav & being healthy is a bonus of course!

I like the concept of your brother’s site–neat! :-)

livingfreeforever September 19, 2009 at 9:14 am

Ice cream looks yummy! You know I love coconut and cherry:) I am loving my coconut milk kefir I got at Whole Foods. I went to eat at Whole Foods one last time before leaving Nashville and my salad weighed in at a little over $11.00:) It was YUM!

I haven’t even been able to post about our girly day yet. I have been having technical difficulties and just now got it fixed!

I wanted to also ask you how you cook your tempeh. I’m going to give it another shot but need to know how to make it taste better:) Thanks!

justrun September 19, 2009 at 10:15 am

I must have some dull moments in my life because reading “coconut milk creamer” made my morning! ;)

That is an awesome website your brother’s got there. Seriously exciting and what a cool community that could turn into!

Shelby September 19, 2009 at 10:56 am

That ice cream sounds like HEAVEN! I need to get some coconut ASAP! I love chocolate + cherries + coconut. It’s one of my favorite food combos. :)

Congratulations to Scott!!! I’m going to go check out the website right now.

missyrayn September 19, 2009 at 10:57 am

So interesting. I’m not really into the whole raw movement but I love the interesting things people come up with to mimic what we eat now in raw form.

Emily September 19, 2009 at 11:17 am

Your ice cream looks delish, and I LOVE how it features so much coconut goodness (you know how I’m all for that)! I definitely would love to try it; let us know when you’ve perfected the recipe.

Congrats to your brother on his new site. It looks awesome, and it’s a very cool concept.

Tina September 19, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I’ve been seeing your blog on many blogrolls… now I understand why :P …will add to mine too!

Your brother is very cute indeed :$ and his company’s concept is genius!

Samantha September 19, 2009 at 3:49 pm

That is some amazing sounding ice cream for sure…WOWZA! Luckily, that brand is sometimes found here so I’m keeping my eyes peeled…well, whenever our trips out of the house aren’t dictated by emergency rooms and pharmacies that is. ;)

Congrats to your brother…what an awesome concept to bring to the masses. I have it bookmarked as I love to discover new music of all kinds. Best of luck to him!

Erin September 19, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Your brother is a total dish!
Are you serious? DAAAMMMMMNNN!
I wish I could make that glorious recipe but alas, I’m a total wuss with the young coconuts!
Hope your wknd is as gorgeous as you my love!

hayleycepeda September 19, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Wow you can seriously market that flavor!! Looks like something out of a Ben & Jerry’s carton – but soooo much better and SO much better for you! :) It must be a day to honor brothers – I just got finished reading Deb’s (SmoothieGirl) flashback post on her bro!

gina (fitnessista) September 20, 2009 at 11:22 am

that raw ice cream is one of my faves
don’t tell the pilot, but your bro is a stud :D
have a happy sunday my friend!

Jenn (eating bender) September 21, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Way to go, Scott! I’m so happy for him – best of luck with this new venture :)

So glad to see that there is now a dairy- and soy-free creamer! I can’t wait to look for it next time I’m at Whole Foods.

Love you, Heather!