I Prefer Roasted & Oatgurt Details

by HEAB on September 20, 2009

I am obsessed with all things roasted.  Not too long ago, Tiffany asked me if I always eat my spiralized veggies raw.  Well I did…but not anymore. ;)

Roasted spiralized yellow squash with hummus.

Roasted spiralized yellow squash with hummus.

Usually I steam my kabocha squash…until now.

Plain and perfect.

Plain and perfectly roasted.

Fall is in the air, and I need warm comfort food.  It makes me happy.

Been meaning to try oatgurt?  Scared?  Well, you are not alone. After receiving one too many oatgurt disaster emails, I decided to share some oatgurt success stories. Scott swears by the  following method before fermenting:

• 4 cups of oat groats
  • 5-1/2 cups water
  • soaked for 24 hours in oven with light on
  • blended in 3 batches with NO, zero, nada water added

The Non-Dairy Queen wrote a whole post about her oatgurt adventures.  She fermented it next to her toaster oven.  No space heater required, and you can read all about it here.

Join me tomorrow for an exciting giveaway involving a new nut butter discovery. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Leah September 20, 2009 at 5:59 am

What did you use before you had the spiralizer tool (like that is the correct term!)?? Roasting things is yummy.

livingfreeforever September 20, 2009 at 6:00 am

Roasted vs. raw is sounding better all the time! I had a yummylicious dinner last night that ‘may’ have involved some tempeh:) Hopefully will post about it later. Have a fabulous Sunday my friend!
XOXO

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 20, 2009 at 6:07 am

I’ve always prefered roasted :)

Heather, I am so sorry I didn’t link to your oatie recipe in my old post. I didn’t know it was on your blog (sooooo glad it is!!). Check out my new post; I remedied my mistake.

Love,
Katie Kabocha ;)

VeggieGirl September 20, 2009 at 6:33 am

Roasted = divine.

Faith September 20, 2009 at 6:34 am

i LOVE roasting
i LOVE new discoveries
i LOVE givewaway…though i never win :p
i LOVE heab!!! (you know in that friend kinda way, not trying to make the moves or anything :p) have to preface in this day and age, just wanted to send some bloggin love

i don’t know if i LOVE kombocha squash though i wnat to try it because i cant find it in NC where you really cant find much odd things unless it’s an odd form of fried okra….

i dont know if i LOVE oatgurt bc i haven’t made it yet

i dont’ know if i LOVE what’s on tv today (that was my random shallow comment bc i dont have a tv and have oddly been wanting one lately :p)

-another off the wall comment by FIF *hugs*

Shelby September 20, 2009 at 6:47 am

Roasted is my favorite way to eat veggies…except when I’m in a hurry to eat and can’t wait that long!

Oatgurt is so delicious. I really need to get some more ASAP!

Kristen September 20, 2009 at 6:49 am

I have half a kabocha in my fridge that needs roasting after seeing that scrumptious pic! Do you ever eat the skin?

CaSaundra September 20, 2009 at 7:00 am

I just got a spiralizer and am so excited to start experimenting with it–yay for more kitchen gadgets that I really don’t need! :-)

Erin September 20, 2009 at 7:04 am

I’m with you on the roasting too. I’ve been roasting everything, it’s so comforting.
I tried a Buttercup squash this week from my parents’ garden and it is so delicious! Those little thing roast quickly and are very sweet.
Squash is my favorite food group.

Ellen (Peace in Motion) September 20, 2009 at 7:12 am

mmmm girl I miss that kaboucha!

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 20, 2009 at 7:47 am

Roasted veggies totally remind me of fall. They warm my innards :-)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 20, 2009 at 7:50 am

Kabocha is so on my list… i haven’t been able to find it, but I’m on a mission now. Roasted veggies are among my favorite foods!

Kiersten September 20, 2009 at 8:02 am

I always prefer my veggies roasted too, even during the warmer months.

Jules September 20, 2009 at 8:20 am

Roasted vegetables are so delicious! That kabocha looks so good. This post gave me a craving for roasted squash :)

homecookedem September 20, 2009 at 8:20 am

I love roasted veggies also!! Most of all… roasted butternut squash!!!!!

JHunt September 20, 2009 at 8:41 am

I also love all things roasted!!! Yum!

-Jessica @ http://howsweet.wordpress.com/

Gaby September 20, 2009 at 8:44 am

I’m obsessed with roasting everything! It makes it so sweet, yet crisp and perfect. Broccoli is one of my favorites, or try some brussell sprouts with balsamic vinegar, it gets all caramelized! Onions, cabbage, tomatoes….mmmmm the list could go on forever. I need to try spiralizing the veggies first! haha I feel like I’m getting way too excited over vegetables right now :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 20, 2009 at 9:16 am

Oh yeah, you can bet there will be a lot of roasting in my household this chilly season :)

Scott in Ohio September 20, 2009 at 9:21 am

We are roasting a spaghetti squash tonight to have with our eggplant parmesan. It’s that time of year!

Question on the oatgurt method above. Does any water get added during blending? :-D

Sorry, it’s “Sarcastic Sunday” here in Ohio.

Have a great one!

Annie September 20, 2009 at 9:24 am

Okay… I got my vitamix.. and it definitely takes some experimenting.. I have learned I do not like thick smoothies.. ick.. there’s something fundamentally wrong with chewing liquid.. but I digress..

Any recommendations on the spiralizer?? there are tons out there.. what’s the easiest, fewest parts to clean – but still get the job done version??

Blog on sister.. lovin’ it!

Anne September 20, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hi Heather
I have some questions. First, how do you all roast your vegetables (yeah, I am silly in the kitchen). I LOVE brussel sprouts and could eat them everyday but usually I steam them; raw they are so hard. If they are that hard, will roasting be enough to soften them?

And about all the powders ladies? You all mention Jay Robb, Sun Warrior and Nutribiotic. Can you say which you use and why, and flavors?

Thanks gals!

The Foodie Diaries September 20, 2009 at 9:31 am

SO obsessed with roasted right now! Tis the season…

Lara (Thinspired) September 20, 2009 at 9:37 am

I think roast veggies are a universal comfort food :) I love the kabocha–sometimes I think food is actually very pretty, and that is pretty food! I know, I’m a weirdo. Another thing that makes me weird: I keep confusing kabocha with kombucha (whatever that fermented drink is!). I haven’t tried either one and I keep getting them mixed up!

Steph September 20, 2009 at 9:55 am

love me some roasted veggies. and a new nut butter?! exciting :)

Alison September 20, 2009 at 10:12 am

The roasted kabocha looks great! I love roasted and grilled veggies.

The oatgurt sounds very interesting. I don’t know if I’d end up making it but I’m very curious.

Abby @ Abby's VeGan Eats September 20, 2009 at 10:17 am

Heather.. I love your blog, I always get such great ideas for your posts! I also agree with roasting.. EVERYTHING tastes so much yummier. In fact, I’m currently roasting a big pan of carrots and beets (random, but so good). Thanks for the great tips!

Maggie September 20, 2009 at 10:22 am

Roasted usually fixes the duds (kabocha).

I’m so excited about spiralized veggies now! I actually spiraled some zucchini yesterday, but when it was time to eat I wasn’t in the mood for something raw so I just saved them and made oat bran instead. Now I know I can cook em up :)

Maria September 20, 2009 at 10:39 am

Oh yeah, roasted kabocha is so yummy! Definitely a comfort food anytime of the year, but especially in the fall :)

Graze With Me September 20, 2009 at 10:54 am

I love my kabocha roasted, so good.

Thanks for the oatgurt instructions…I’m still a little scared to do that again but I think I just might have to seeing how much you love it.

Have a good Sunday!

Meredith September 20, 2009 at 12:26 pm

That roasted squash is gorgeous! Did you add anything to it or just cook it plain?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 20, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Somehow I didnt see this post til just now, sorry mama. Anyway, the (raw) spiralized veggies have become a staple round here. And the squash…that looks freakin’ perfecto. Would you mind sharing how long you roast it for and what temp? I think I never know how long to cook things which is why raw cooking and me get along so well LOL :) My man would LOVE this. He loves roasted veggies and so do I but not as much as he does. Just evoo, salt and pepp, and roast? Super simple like that?

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Roasted is the way to go- brussel sprouts are probably the best when roasted (for Averie- you’ll NEVER go back to steaming, ever).

BTW HEABS, can you just put the oatgurt into a dehydrator????

peaceandpeanutbutter September 20, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I’m with you Heather, I’m craving yummy roasted veggies! My fav is a combo of hearty root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, etc etc) drizzled with EVOO and spices!

I’m dying to try kombocha too!

jacobc September 20, 2009 at 2:36 pm

hmmm. i always do the kabocha in the microwave.. How does it taste roasted? Do you just slice it up and put in the oven? I’ll have to try that tonight, looks good!

Just had some more of the best watermelon ever! You better go pick up that one i left with the lady at chris’s old place, you will be glad ;-)

Cheers! jacob

Julia September 20, 2009 at 4:13 pm

That roasted kabocha looks delicious! Usually around this time of year I am also CRAVING fall foods, but the weather in California is really throwing me off. I mean jeez it’s still 80+ degrees everday. The idea of soup is frightening!
Hopefully it will cool down a bit in the coming weeks…
Have a great weekend!

April September 20, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I’ve been roasting my broccoli sprinkled with stevia since I found the recipe on carrots n cake and OMG! I will never have it any other way!

Teresa September 20, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I’ve just getting caught up on your last few posts since I just returned from a short trip. And can I say I’m loving the return of Kabocha! I just bought about 4 butternut squash, 1 kabocha and about 5 little sweet potatoes all for myself. ANd I’m definitely going to be roasting some of it after seeing your awesomely delicious picture!

Keep the squash coming!

Emily September 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Thanks for the oatgurt tips. I still haven’t tried it yet!

A nut butter discovery that is new to you?! I can’t wait to find out about this :)

N.D. September 20, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Mmm those look so good (the first picture)

Erica September 20, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Ow- a new nut butter? I can’t wait! I love roasted veggies- they are seriously delicious and perfect for fall (as you noted). So Josh’s mom and sister want to meet you at thanksgiving as well! What do you do on black friday?

hayleycepeda September 20, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Ooooh…never thought about roasting my zucchini/squash noodles!! Do you do it in the oven with some olive oil or something? Looks delicious! I’m staying away from oat groats only because I can’t stand the taste of sourdough bread and I think I remember you or someone saying that it was a similar taste.. ??

Holly September 20, 2009 at 7:04 pm

there is NOTHING better in the fall that roasted veggies! i am swooning over that kabocha. for reals.

Jen (Running With Cake) September 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Coconut creamer sounds so lovely! I wonder how it would taste in a pina colada – still trying to hang onto summer!

glidingcalm September 20, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Your veggie loving ALWAYS inspires me. Thank you so much. Never stop posting about them!! You always help me to eat better!! I love my veggies, and 8 out of 10 times I’m happy to eat them……but sometimes, I just neat that HEAB inspiration.

glidingcalm September 20, 2009 at 9:05 pm

by neat I mean need*****

Tiffany S. September 21, 2009 at 8:09 am

Thanks for the linky, girlfriend!

I sauteed the zucchini “noodles” the other night in a little bit of coconut oil with a little garlic powder, and they were delish. Chris wanted more!

I have groats waiting for use right now – will have to find 24 hours to leave the light on.

My Kombucha was a failure so I’ll stick with Kabocha. Once you have a moldy drink experiment in your kitchen, you’ll never confuse it with a beautiful melon again!

Happy Monday!

Diana (Soap & chocolate) September 21, 2009 at 8:34 am

I think we’ve already established what I think about roasted vegetables. :)

Brandi September 21, 2009 at 8:49 am

ooh, can’t wait to see the new nut butter!

i need to find some kabocha. I love roasted winter squash.

RunToTheFinish September 21, 2009 at 12:46 pm

mmm i loved cooked veggies..I think that’s why I was having so much trouble trying to really do all raw veggies. I like my carrots steamed they just make me smile

Marissa September 21, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I am goofy for the roasted veg. There is just something so satisfying about the browned edges. I think tonight I might roast my stripetti squash!

Vicki September 22, 2009 at 8:53 am

Question about oat groats: are these the same as steel cut oats? I looked at Bulk Barn and my local grocery store but can’t find oat groats. Perhaps I need to go to a natural food store?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 22, 2009 at 8:59 am

Nope Vicki,Oats groats are totally different. You can see a picture of them in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/06/17/oatgurt-tutorial/. You should be able to find them at your natural food store. -Heather

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 22, 2009 at 9:07 am

Nope Vicki,Oats groats are totally different. You can see a picture of them in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/06/17/oatgurt-tutorial/. You should be able to find them at your natural food store. -Heatehr

Vicki September 22, 2009 at 11:45 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Phew, glad I didn’t buy the steel cut oats then. Good excuse to hit up the natural food store here in Ottawa, ON. (Rainbow Foods). I’ll post up on my site http://victoriasisland.typepad.com when I have a solid batch of oatgurt to share with my readers. Really enjoy your site.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 22, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Vicki! If you don’t mind, please let me know when your oatgurt post is up as I’d love to read it.Enjoy the rest of your day! -Heather

Shannon September 22, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Do you blend the oat groats before fermenting (or even blend them at all)? I bought some oat groats today and want to try making my first batch of oatgurt right now.

I am really enjoying your blog.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 8:13 am

Hey Shannon, Yes, I do blend the oat groats before fermenting, and you can read my exact directions for oatgurt here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/oatgurt/. Let me know if you have any other questions, and thank so much for reading my blog. :) Love, Heather

Sarena September 23, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for the mention Heather! I am sad to say that I am out of oatgurt right now! I think I am going to have to remedy that in about 2 minutes!!! I have actually never had the kabocha. I am going to have to give it a go! Yours looks delicious! Now…I am off to soak my groats!