Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer and Nuttzo Winner

by HEAB on September 23, 2009

And the Random Integer Generator picked #2:

Mara, who said:

Man, I’m #2… #2 never wins :)
Oh well, i’ll try anyway! My favorite nut by far is me
:) oh, you meant edible? Probably cashew or chestnuts… yum!

Hehe – I guess sometimes #2 does in fact win.  Congrats Mara! Please email me with your address, and your Nuttzo is on its way.  For those of you who didn’t win, you must try this nut butter as I am loving it!  Danielle, creator of Nuttzo sent me this brief description when I inquired about the ingredients:

The crunchiness comes from whole flax seeds and hazelnut pieces. There is no added sugar so the sweetness comes from the sunflower seeds and the Valencia peanuts. The Valencia peanuts, cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, ground flax seed and sea salt are ground into a delectable, thin butter.

Seriously you guys, so good!  Click here to see if it’s available in your area or to order your own online.

Before I get to my creamer review, I just wanted to thank everyone so much for all the Happy Anniversary wishes. CD and I felt so loved yesterday.  We went out to eat at Park Cafe, my favorite restaurant in Nashville, and the site of our wedding ceremony. I mentioned that we were going there somewhere in the comments of my post yesterday, and my sweet Yoga Fairy (Alice, my mother-in-law) read it, called the restaurant, and treated us to dinner all the way from Arizona.  So, again many thanks to all of you and to John and Alice for a wonderful meal!

If you're ever in Nashville, you must dine at Park Cafe!

If you're ever in Nashville, you must dine at Park Cafe!

OK, time for some coffee talk…

Heather, how about some coffee with your cream?

Heather, how about some coffee with your cream?

Please excuse the bad lighting, but that photo was taken at 5 AM.  I’ve been drinking hot water with lemon most mornings, but when my box of So Delicious Coconut Milk creamers arrived, I busted out the decaf.

IMG_3175I tried the original flavor first, and although it does contains cane juice, it was not sweet at all. However, after adding some liquid stevia drops, it was perfect. Rich, creamy, and slightly sweet.  The French vanilla creamer was great all on its own, but the hazelnut…no thanks.  It was way too sweet and tasted fake, even though it does not contain any artificial ingredients.  The contents of that mug ended up in the sink.  However, it did make for some pretty tasty Nutella ice-cream. :)

Still loving the ice-cream maker!

Still loving the ice-cream maker!

2 cups So Delicious hazlenut creamer + 2 TBSP cocoa powder. That’s it.  Lovely.

I’ve heard the creamers are available at Whole Foods, and I would highly recommend the original all well as the French vanilla flavors as far as taste goes.  The hazelnut? Yeah, not so much.  My only problem with the creamers (besides the fact that the hazelnut tasted like I was doing straight shots of amaretto) is that they all contain sugar, including the original flavor.  Even though organic coconut milk is listed as the first ingredient in the French vanilla followed by organic evaporated cane juice, 1 TBSP contains 20 calories, 0 fat, and 4 grams of sugar.  That’s a lot of sugar folks, especially for the amount of creamer I use.  I think I’ll stick with the original, 20 calories and only 1 gram of sugar per serving.  Much better.

Happy Wednesday to you all.

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 23, 2009 at 8:07 am

Nutella ICE CREAM?!

Ummmm….. go work for Baskin and Robbins NOW! I want some of that available at my local ice cream store :)

Love,
Katie

christie, honoring health September 23, 2009 at 8:09 am

*drool* @ nutella ice cream!

Jessica September 23, 2009 at 8:12 am

The ice cream sounds DIVINE!!! I want to try that creamer…but I like all things sweet. Maybe I will give it a shot anyway!

Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 23, 2009 at 8:13 am

Yay Mara!

It’s actually weird (to me) that the French Vanilla doesn’t have more calories for all that extra sugar. But that is a ton for that small amount.

MelissaNibbles September 23, 2009 at 8:14 am

I’ll have to keep my eye out for these creamers. I use fat free Coffeemate now and the label says 0g sugar, but the ingredients lists “corn syrup solids.” I’m not sure what that is.

What a great anniversary surprise. Your mother-in-law is very sweet!

Mara @ What's For Dinner September 23, 2009 at 8:14 am

OMG?! REALLY?!! I so rarely win!!! Thanks HEAB!!!
ANd nutella ice cream? reason #324 i can’t have an ice cream maker. I’ll send you an email in a little bit.

justrun September 23, 2009 at 8:19 am

Mmmm, and I just so happen to be going to Whole Foods today… and looking for a dairy-alternative creamer. WHAT A COINCIDENCE! :)
Glad you had a great anniversary dinner!

VeggieGirl September 23, 2009 at 8:25 am

HELL YES FOR MARA WINNING!!! :-D

You and CD = too cute.

The Foodie Diaries September 23, 2009 at 8:29 am

Hahah goood job putting that hazelnut to work. You know that some university has a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream making major? You should consider enrolling and minoring in healthy deliciousness.

Food Makes Fun Fuel September 23, 2009 at 8:36 am

Straight amaretto? I’m sold. haha

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 23, 2009 at 8:37 am

Nutella ice cream…now that’s a way to use up that sugar-high hazelnut creamer! I don’t love “hazelnut flavor” anything. It’s just not my scene, so I’m glad to you told me that it def. wouldn’t be my scene on this either.

Glad I chose the French Vanilla at WF the other day cuz I’ve been rockin’ that out. But sadly, my lil pint is gone. Like you, I like a boatload of creamer with a side of coffee :) I gathered that from your comment to me yesterday.

Girl I applaud you on the sugar thing. Sadly, I really dont ever pay attention to sugar grams and carb grams. Fat, fiber, and protein, yeah, but not sugar or carbs b/c my body really needs it. I am a crazy hyper yoga freak as you know :) and the sugar I guess just gets burned off when I’m busting my moves or somethin’ We could chat for hours ’bout this b/c the whole to sugar or not to sugar conundrum is a big one. Sugar has so many health implications and so I try to be mindful of it, but apparently don’t pay too close attention. Something I should work on..thanks for the reminder… :)

You rock Heather!!!! Happy Hump Day!

xoxo
averie

brandi September 23, 2009 at 8:45 am

your ice cream is killing me!

Glad you two had a nice evening :)

Lauren September 23, 2009 at 8:58 am

Happy anniversary a day late! You two look so cute and happy in that pic. That seems so fitting for you to get married on the first day of autumn. I drank a homemade chai tea latte today and just thought that might be a warm and yummy drink you’d like w/o as much caffeine.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 9:00 am

Lauren, I love chai tea. Cardamom – yum! Thanks for thinking of me. :)

buffmuffy September 23, 2009 at 9:04 am

wow what will turtle mountain come out with next?? What a great idea!!!
that is a lot of sugar. thanks for the review :)

-muffy

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 23, 2009 at 9:29 am

I am bummed I didn’t win, but 2 is my favorite number, so I think I can let it slide this time.

Thanks for the awesome review!

peaceandpeanutbutter September 23, 2009 at 9:30 am

Glad you had a great dinner with CD!

Thanks for the creamer review, I will definitely be on the lookout for this at the health food store!

lora September 23, 2009 at 9:34 am

yay for Mara winning!!!! SOrry for the lack of comments ms. heather! out of town = behind on life in general! seriously turtle mountain is like the greatest company ever.

xoxo
LO

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 10:04 am

No worries Lora. Sometimes, life just happens. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 23, 2009 at 9:44 am

Great that the hazelnut creamer got reincarnated as ice cream!

Have a great day HEABS!
D

Erica September 23, 2009 at 9:49 am

awww how sweet to be treated to din din! Glad you two had a nice night. Thanks for the reviews. I may give the vanilla a shot!

greensandjeans September 23, 2009 at 10:02 am

I think that I might have to try that vanilla! I’ve been eying those in the store for awhile, but I am going to have to take the plunge!

Chelsea September 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

Nutella ice cream sounds pretty darn good. Glad you finally found a creamer you like. I know you’ve tried just about every one out there.

Teresa September 23, 2009 at 10:26 am

Congrats to Mara. And HUGE Congratulations to you and CD, a day late. How special your relationship is!

I bought the original creamer, and am really enjoying it so far- although I don’t drink coffee so I’ve only used it in caf free chai tea and a coconut rum tea (Zhenas). Yeah I don’t think I could get myself to buy the french vanilla or hazelnut flavors simply based on the sugar content. I’m all for the creamers being evap can juice free! Let us sweeten it if we want to with our preferred sweetener. Whew!

foodcents September 23, 2009 at 10:31 am

You and CD are so cute, Heather:) Happy belated anniversary from CO!!!!

Maria September 23, 2009 at 10:40 am

Oh yum, that nutella ice cream sounds amazing! Thanks for the reviews, Heather, I’ll have to pick those up on my next trip to Whole Foods (which is hopefully in the near future!) :D

missyrayn September 23, 2009 at 10:48 am

That’s really creative for Nutella Ice Cream…sounds delicious!

glidingcalm September 23, 2009 at 11:21 am

oh my lordy! does that ice cream look good!!!

so happy you had a wonderful Anni!! you two are one of my most fav. couples!!!

i also need to try that creamer because WE KNOW GC be guzzling her caffeine at least 4 times a day!! :)

Becky September 23, 2009 at 11:21 am

Ok now I’m drooling over the nutella ice cream :) Looks so yummy. Thanks for the report. I’ve been off the coffee train for awhile and have been drinking green teas :)

hypki September 23, 2009 at 11:24 am

Glad you had a lovely anniversary! Yeah for free dinners!!

Kind of a random question for you, but I saw somewhere that the Trader Joes in Nashville does not carry wine…is that true? The hubs and I are coming through on a road trip next month and I wanted to get some since we’ll probably visit the store for supplies.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Hypki, It’s true. Tennessee has some funky laws regarding alcohol sales, one of them being that merchants cannot sell both wine and beer in the same store. So, our Trader Joe’s only sells beer. No 2 buck chuck. :(

Tiffany S. September 23, 2009 at 11:27 am

Sooooo sweet of your mother-in-law to do that for you two! You certainly deserve it! Here’s to love!

amy (veganissexy) September 23, 2009 at 11:57 am

Ooooh you know I want to get my little coffee warmed hands on those creamers! I’ll have to request them at my local natural food store. I hate the silk creamers and just use some regular soy milk at work and almond milk at home. I need something better! I can’t wait to try these when they are available around my area. Thanks for the review :)

Angelie September 23, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I LOVE the French Vanilla coconut milk creamer! I gotta try that Nutella ice cream idea. I already made some mean muffins with the Hazelnut flavor.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 23, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for the reviews, I will have to check them out when they come out (or if they have already). I’m a big French vanilla fan and I only use 1 tbsp so I think I can live with 4g but you are right, original has much better stats.

Nutella ice cream?! SIGN ME UP!

Glad you had a nice anniversary :)

JillyB September 23, 2009 at 12:58 pm

You have the most wonderful inlaws! I wish Alice taught classes for other women on how to make a daughter-in-law feel like a treasured part of the family instead of the bitch who stole my baby boy. I would register my MIL and pack her a healthy little lunch every day. :)

lola September 23, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Congratulations on the anniversary :)
and that nutella ice cream looks D-E-L-I-S-H!

Alison September 23, 2009 at 1:49 pm

What a cool idea for ice cream. I want to try it! You just mixed the ingredients and put them in an ice cream maker?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Alison,Yep – so easy!

hayleycepeda September 23, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I am following the link to Nuttzo right now – It sounds similar to “Naturally More.” Have you ever tried that? Except that I dont think NM has hazelnuts in it. YUM!!! :)

Happy Anniversary again! Glad you and CD had a nice dinner. Thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog…I really appreciate it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Hayley,I have tried Naturally More. I liked it at first, but after a while, it started tasting too sweet, and I did not like crunching down on the little sugar crystals. Plus, I’m a crunchy girl at heart, and I love the huge hazelnut chunks in Nutzzo. You should so order some. I love it!

DiningAndDishing September 23, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Awww, happy belated anniversary!! Glad you guys had a good one :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

veggiebooty September 23, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Heather, you have clearly made a mistake by not giving more attention to the NUTELLA ICE CREAM!! Holy Yum!! Back in college, when I paid zero attention to what went into my body, I used to make Nutella “sandwiches” out of Nutella and potato bread. I love the stuff!

Emily September 23, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Wow! I can’t wait to go home for christmas…..find that creamer….and make that ice cream!! :D

Shelby September 23, 2009 at 5:06 pm

NUTELLA ICE CREAM?!?! I’m coming over right now!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 23, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Shelby, I’ve got a bowl with your name on it! :)

Rosey Rebecca September 23, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Happy Belated Anniversary! (I can’t remember if I commented!) Your mother in law is so sweet! I’ll have to try those creamers. Right now, I use either vanilla soy milk or chocolate almond milk in my coffee

Justine September 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm

I am buying a damn ice cream maker or either I am coming over soon after dinner. Watch out CD!! Trying to up load those pics now but my camera or computer is being really unruly!! Cant quite figure out what the deal is. Anyway, had a great time today. Next time dont over book so we can take a nice loooonnnngggggggg walk :)

~Justine

snackface September 23, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Aren’t those creamers intense? I love them! We got to test them over the summer when I worked at VegNews (they didn’t even have that nice packaging yet!). With the hazelnut you need, like, one drop and you’re good. And the vanilla totes tastes like ice cream. YUM!

joelygolightly September 23, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Happy Wednesday! I am going to have to stop at Whole Foods and try that creamer for myself- that sounds like a God send! PS. If you want a laugh about oatbran, check out my blog post today- my bowl sort of attacked me this morning. ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 24, 2009 at 4:30 am

Joely, What is your blog’s URL – it doesn’t come up when you comment, and I can’t remember it exactly. Sorry! I must read about this bowl of oat bran that attacked you. :)

Samantha September 24, 2009 at 12:09 am

Thanks for all the great reviews, really helps when wanting to try new products, or not. ;) I was so excited to find mimiccreme yesterday after having read your posts on it. I’d like to toy with more “ice cream” type recipes.

WholeBodyLove September 24, 2009 at 1:07 am

Coconut Milk Creamer?! I am beyond ecstatic!

Lara (Thinspired) September 24, 2009 at 8:13 am

Heather, you are so disciplined. Hot water and lemon in the mornings? You are a saint :)
This looks like a good alternative to my CoffeeMate habit when I’m in the US :) I like that they have no artificial ingredients. And Nutella ice cream?! Okay, so you are a saint AND a genius.

Natalie September 24, 2009 at 9:31 am

That ice cream looks awesome. you are so disiplined good for you. I know it makes me feel better when I’m on track. love reading!

kirsten September 24, 2009 at 11:38 am

Oh how I LOVE nutella! It reminds me od Europe, great idea

Naomi (onefitfoodie) September 24, 2009 at 2:35 pm

nutella…icecream…thas a marriage made in heaven! sounds incred! that creamer looks great too! i just picked up the SILK creamer, and when thats out, im off to the coconut creamer ;)

Jess September 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Congrats to the winner! Mmm, that ice cream sounds wonderful!
<3 jess

Shannon September 27, 2009 at 10:36 pm

How in the world do you get to try all these wonderful products? I don’t live close to a Whole Foods, so I tried looking at Turtle Mountain to see if you could order their products directly, and you can’t…so I was curious as to how you do it! Thanks! I love getting ideas from your blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 28, 2009 at 4:25 am

Hey Shannon, Oh, I’m so sorry you don’t live close to a Whole Foods. Do you live close to another health store? They might be willing to order the products for you if you request them. Turtle Mountain is kind enough to send me samples whenever they come out with a new product. Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a good week! Sincerely, Heather

Shannon September 28, 2009 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, we do have local health food store that is very good, in fact. I am going to ask them if they would order some, like you suggested. I really want to try these products!! We have recently begun making changes in our eating habits…and I am so encouraged by your blog! I found it while googling almond butter!! Thanks again for the info…have a good week too!

{ 1 trackback }