Random Musings

by HEAB on September 24, 2009

Ever tried an orange flesh watermelon?

IMG_3190

Go find yourself one. They are good!

Many thanks to local reader, JacobC, for bestowing this baby on me and CD.  We’re still working on it Jacob and loving every bite.

Since I’m all out of frozen cherries, I added 4 big chunks of watermelon to my morning smoothie:

It was weird...I liked it.

Kind of weird...I liked it.

Yesterday, I went to a hot vinyasa class, and I was angry the whole time.  I usually love this class, but I wasn’t feeling it yesterday. I think it’s all the gloomy weather we’ve had. :(

But then, a ray of sunshine entered my day when I was reunited with my Justine. We met up for lunch at Brixx Pizza.

J, it had been way too long.  We must not let that happen again!

J, it had been way too long. We must not let that happen again!

First course…

Hummus with whole wheat pizza crust instead of pita chips.  Brilliant request Justine!

Hummus with whole wheat pizza crust instead of pita chips. Brilliant request Justine!

For  my meal, I ordered the spinach salad with salmon.  Boring and fishy tasting.  I ate it and then proceeded to help Justine finish off her pear and Gorgonzola pizza. Yes, I ate some cheese.  Yes, it was good.

Justine, sorry you didn't have any leftovers to take home. Oops.

Justine, sorry you didn't have any leftovers to take home. Oops.

It finally stopped raining today, and I was able to get some use out of our anniversary gift.

HEAB emerges from heaven with a new bike.

HEAB emerges from heaven with a new bike...so humid in Nashville right now.

CD and I bought a hybrid cruiser bike as our gift to one another.  I rode it to work today (6 miles roundtrip).  Thanks CD. I love it!

OK, so many thanks to Allie for her Vita-Mix cleaning advice:

Try running it on high with super hot water and a ton of white vinegar. After running it, then scrub gently with baking soda. Hard water makes a film on it.

Vita is looking much better these days.  Now, about my cast iron skillet…

How do I get rid of this burnt flaky yuck?

How do I get rid of this burnt flaky yuck?

I’ve been scrubbing it after each use with a little oil and some salt.  Should I re-season it in the oven.  HELP!

Love to you all.  Enjoy The Office tonight. :)

Tiffany S. September 24, 2009 at 3:55 pm

LOVE your anniversary gift! We travel everywhere with our bikes. Enjoy!

Thanks for the Vita advice. I was pitching the Vitamix hard last night at this raw “cooking” class I went to – you would have thought I was getting commission!

Methinks you’re gonna have to get a matching bike!

(A bunch of us have been angry too – is Mercury in retrograde or what?)

Sarena September 24, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I have never tried an orange watermelon…I will have to put that on my list of things to try! Looks like you had a nice meal at the pizza place. Boy does it look toasty in Nashville!

Peace and Peanutbutter September 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Wow that watermelon looks interesting! I will have to keep my eyes open for one!

Great bike, too!!

Dori September 24, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I love how you emerged from heaven with your bike!

VeggieGirl September 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Sorry about yoga :( But hooray for a lovely outing with Justine and for your “heavenly emergence” with the bike :-D

Jessica September 24, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I have never had an orange flesh watermelon and now I am curious and want one!

homecookedem September 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I wouldn’t have been able to resist pear and gorgonzola pizza either! YUMM! Love the angelic bike pic! :) What a cute gift idea!!

Melissa S. September 24, 2009 at 4:37 pm

oh, what a fun time with justine!

love the humidity photo. story of my life.

janetha September 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm

not only have i not tried that melon, i have never seen nor heard of it! your lunch dates with justine always look so yummy. brilliant to request the WW crust instead of chips. and gorgonzola is one of the best cheeses around so woohoo for that!

Balance for MEre September 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Definitely looking forward to the Office tonight!

kristina September 24, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I have never seen an orange watermelon, thats crazy, does it taste the same?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 24, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Kristina,It’s from a local farm. So fresh and very sweet. Otherwise, it taste the same.

Allie September 24, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I’ve got cast iron advice too! :) I’ve got an Alton Brown book checked out from the library…

“To clean a cast iron pan, I usually add a little fat to the still hot pan, toss in some kosher salt, and rub it with paper towels. If that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll wash it with mild detergent, warm water and a sponge. I re-cure my cast-iron pans every New Years Day.” Hope it helps! HEAB rocks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Allie!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 24, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Here’s how I clean my cast iron skillet: Heat it up REALLY hot. Pour in about 2 c. cool water and watch out, it splatters! Then, using a wooden spoon or spatula, while the water is in there, scrape the bottom and sides of the pan. The water will get nasty! THEN, carefully dump the water out, then heat the pan back up. Youc an repeat the water thing if you need to, but usually once does it. Then rub it with oil while hot, and let it cool. Should be good in the hood :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Thanks Mara – sounds easy enough.

Kristen September 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Glad to see some cast iron tips! I threw out my non-stick due to health concerns, so I’m still getting used to sticky pans and cast iron!

Yay for the Office. Who can fathom the fallout of Stanley’s scandalousness! :-D

Vintage Jim as Stanley:
“Why do you keep CC-ing me on things that have NOTHING to do with me.”

Brandi September 24, 2009 at 5:18 pm

great idea getting the ww pizza instead of pita chips! looks like you two had a good time :)

love the bike! That’s awesome that you live close enough to work that you can ride there. We’re hoping for that someday, too.

Have a great night! I can’t wait – an HOUR of The Office. It’s like they read my mind.

April September 24, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I will enjoy the office!

Okay this is gross but when I saw the hummus plate picture I saw a dead mouse…do you see it now? LOL!

Hope you enjoyed the ride!

Megan September 24, 2009 at 5:23 pm

mmmm, HUMMUS!

you KNOW I’m going to enjoy the office. Holla to Pam being pregnant! I am thinking you & CD should hop on that bandwagon….. your kids would be the most adorable little creatures EVER. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 24, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Megan, You make me laugh. CD enjoyed your comment as well. :)

Shelby September 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Watermelon in smoothies IS sort of delicious huh? I’ve tried it before with oats tossed in and it was fabulous.

The hummus sounds terrific! Love the crust idea. But that pizza! YUM! The pears on top must have been perfection!

I. WOULD. DIE. with that amount of huimidity. I think I would go crazy and chop all of my hair off. My hair hates the humid air, even for just the short walk to school!

Erica September 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm

An orange watermelon? I love it and totally want one!! Love Brixx- their hummus platter is jammin. What a fabulous anniversary gift. Enjoy it! Have a good weekend Heather

traveleatlove September 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

What a cool looking watermelon! I hope your next yoga class is better!

Erin September 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Have you tried Bar-Keepers Friend?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 24, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Erin, No, but I hear it’s great. I’ll pick some up next time I see it. Thanks!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) September 24, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I live for the Office.. it’s sad when I wake up on Thursday’s excited. We have just discovered a Brixx in our area, too. Yum.. nothing beats wood fired pizza! Have fun bikin! :)

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 24, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I had a watermelon smoothie a couple weeks ago, I wasn’t that into it :(

jacobc September 24, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Glad yall liked the watermelon, yellow flesh is the best, and even better straight out of the field!

I hope that piture link works.. the easiest way to harvest watermelons ;-)

Sweet! A new bike! Wish i lived close enough to work to bike!

cheers, Jacob

Becky September 24, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Orange watermelon?! Pear pizza?! I’m drooling :) Will definitely be watching The Office…never gets old!

hayleycepeda September 24, 2009 at 7:28 pm

I love your meet-ups with other bloggers..it’s so much fun to see both of your meals in one post. That pizza looks delicious!! Good for you for not being “afraid” to dabble in a bit of dary. :) I love the bike! We are getting that same wave of humidity – yuck!

Erin September 24, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Ah, Heather, we are meant to breakfast together! You even have breakfast out of mason jars. I have contemplated why I even have dishes lately…most things get eaten in a jar. So much better.
Sometimes I get that angry feeling. Hate that. Hope it is fleeting.

So jealous of all that hummus!! I need to remedy my hummus dry spell.
And sometimes cheese is worth it. Or ice cream.

greensandjeans September 24, 2009 at 8:09 pm

baking soda is also great for cleaning skillets!

Emily September 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm

That pizza looks amazing!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 24, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Sorry yoga was a bit of a bummer yesterday. Hey girl, it’s all about being true to yourself, your practice, and being in the moment, and not all classes are bunnies & fluffy rainbows LOL But seriously though, I hate it when that happens. On the brighter side, your lunch date with Justine looks awesome. I just wish I coulda tagged along. I need to get together with the ladies who lunch :)

xoxo

Julia September 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Those cruiser bikes are sooo cute! Everyone in Sacramento has them, and they deck them out with crazy stuff…I’m slightly jealous.
Enjoy riding!

Jillian September 24, 2009 at 10:46 pm

H-

Dude…Audrey Hannah’s photo’s are sick! I totally smiled at the chalk board photos too…very clever!

Glad you got a laugh out of my non-filtered gma:).

Sorry you were grouchy in your yogatanza class…that is no fun:(. Hope it’s better tomorrow. Your bike is awesome FYI!

Did i tell you that i am taking the nutrition workshop at core power yoga in a few weeks. Monika is leading it…i’m super excited!

Hugs to you dear heart:)
J

WholeBodyLove September 25, 2009 at 12:01 am

I’ve never tried an orange watermelon! I like mine pretty sweet so it may not be “my forte” ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 6:38 am

WholeBodyLove, The orange watermelon tasted even sweeter than the regular ones. Honestly, it was best watermelon I’ve ever had.

Maggie September 25, 2009 at 1:07 am

I agree with Allie for the pan. I usually heat mine up and add some oil, then kind of stir the oil around while it’s on a low heat for maybe 5-10 minutes. I take it off the burner and let it cool, and once it’s cool enough I rub it with paper towels.

Do NOT do what Mara said! That could crack or ruin the pan!! Sorry Mara!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 6:40 am

K, Thanks Maggie!

fruitsveggieslife September 25, 2009 at 1:30 am

An orange watermelon! Looks delish! And I’m glad to hear about the Vita. :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) September 25, 2009 at 3:36 am

thats one crazy lookin’ watermelon…i wonder if it is as sweet as the pink kind??

that app looks great! what is the stuff next to the hummos?? it looks a bit darker in color? could that be babaganoush?? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 6:39 am

Naomi, The orange flesh watermelon tasted sweeter than the pink kind to me. It was from a local farm – so fresh and good. The darker colored hummus was black bean hummus. Yum!

JENNA September 25, 2009 at 6:22 am

i LOVE your new bike!!!!!!! soooooooo cool!!

livingfreeforever September 25, 2009 at 7:54 am

I have never seen an orange fleshed watermelon–but I HAVE been to a yoga class where I was angry the WHOLE time!! It was actually pretty weird. It was when I was doing Hot Yoga and the teacher played different(very nerve wracking) music and it did NOT relax me.

Glad you enjoyed some hummus! I have been eating a little of that myself the last few days to see how I do with it. (New eating plan working like a dream:)

Oh, and VERY cool bike! I tried biking with my son last summer and I thought I was going to DIE! Where we live is nothing but hills and curves. Talk about jello legs:)

Gena (Choosing Raw) September 25, 2009 at 8:18 am

Unfortunately, watermelon is one of my least favorite foods, EVER! Just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies.

I’ll think about you, friend, instead :)

glidingcalm September 25, 2009 at 8:59 am

my dad wont let me touch the cast-iron, so im not sure what to do!? ill ask him though! he only has specific things he will let me cook in there…like mochi lol!

hurray for a new bike and a fabulous date with Justine!!!

watermelon sounds interesting too!

LOVE YOU HEAB

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 9:55 am

Gliding Calm, Love you too. Congrats on your shout-out in Fitness Magazine! [?]

Rose September 25, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’ve never seen such a watermelon! I love it!

Tina September 25, 2009 at 11:12 am

Dang, that pizza looks good! And the pizza crust instead of pita chips is a great idea. Last time I made pizza I put hummus on one section instead of sauce to try it out. Brilliant!

Marissa September 25, 2009 at 12:35 pm

My Cast Iron skillet is my BABY. I never ever ever put cold water in ANY hot pan. That will warp some, and destroy others in other ways(if you put something cold in a hot cast iron it could crack on you).

I do different things depending on what is on it. Sometimes I do the kosher salt trick, but that takes a lot of elbow grease. Often you can put water in the pan, heat it up and let it simmer for a few, and that will loosen things up. Scrum the gunk off, then put it back on the hot stove. Add some oil (I use the virgin coconut oil most of the time), and turn the heat off but let it soak in a bit.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Thanks Marissa!

Jenna September 25, 2009 at 5:29 pm

wow millet looks yummy!
jenna

CaSaundra September 26, 2009 at 7:19 am

I don’t like watermelon :-( , but that still looks interesting ha!

For my cast iron skillet I mix 1 cup water with 1/4 baking soda, mix, and let sit overnight.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 26, 2009 at 9:43 am

Thanks CaSaundra, I’ll try that.