Do You Millet?

by HEAB on September 25, 2009

I have discovered yet a another grain that I love.

BRM-df613e1b3f647bbd396ddc6d38c69f74According to this website, some interesting facts about millet:

• One of the oldest foods known to humans.
  • Used for porridge in Eastern Europe and in Africa as baby food or uji, a breakfast porridge.
  • Mainly used as cattle and bird feed in Western Countries…y’all know I love my horse feed for breakfast. :)
  • Gluten-free and considered to be one of the least allergenic and most digestible grains available.
  • Nearly 15% protein, high in fiber as well as B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin, the essential amino acid methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E. It is particularly high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium.
  • And according to HEAB, it’s yummy…especially when eaten out of the almond butter jar.
Cooked Millet with chocolate rice protein powder in the almond butter jar.

Cooked Millet with chocolate rice protein powder in the almond butter jar.

That was the last of my homemade almond butter from Smoothie Girl Deb.  Deb, we loved it…thank you for adding chunks. :)

I then made a batch of millet bread using a recipe sent to me from reader Jen. After soaking 2/3 cup millet overnight, I drained, rinsed, and spread the grains on a parchment lined baking sheet to dry a bit while I went to yoga. When I got home, I ground the millet into a flour using my Vita-Mix (you can use any blender or a food processor).  I then added 1/2 cup water (recipe calls for 3/4, but I got nervous.  It looked so watery), 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt, and 1/2 packet of stevia.  I poured the batter into a coconut oiled round cake pan, gave it a good stir, and baked it for 23 minutes in a 350 degree oven. So simple – easiest bread ever. Thanks Jen!

Scrambled eggs with toast, HEAB style.

Scrambled eggs with toast, HEAB style.

Breakfast of champions: 1 whole egg + 2 whites scrambled with stir-fried veggies. Served with millet bread and Nuttzo Nut Butter. Very good and very filling.

What about you? Ever tried millet?

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 25, 2009 at 8:29 am

I loved the Millet sweet potato pie at Candle Cafe :)

Ooh and I love brussels sprouts too!

Yay for grains and greens :) :)

Love,
Katie

Evan Thomas September 25, 2009 at 8:30 am

Never tried that grain. I’ll be on the lookout next time I go to a Whole Foods with a full bulk bin section; they have pretty much everything there

Maggie September 25, 2009 at 8:32 am

Mmmm Brussels. Still haven’t tried millet. You know I love horse feed, so I’m sure I’d love it :)

runeatrepeat September 25, 2009 at 8:32 am

I’ve actually never tried millet, but I have never met a grain I didn’t like :) I should check it out!

April September 25, 2009 at 8:35 am

I’ve often wondered about it as well. How is the $$ compared to regular oats?

Janna September 25, 2009 at 8:36 am

I haven’t ever tried millet actually. I’m more of a quinoa girl myself. I find something I like… I stick to it. Which is probably not a good thing. I should be more adventurous.
Okay, I WILL try other grains…. once i run out of quinoa :)

Erin September 25, 2009 at 8:37 am

Your millet jar looks soooo good!!
I made millet a few months ago and wasn’t a huge fan. I didn’t make it for breakfast though, and I think I’m going to have to dig it out for another try. Or you should make it for me, because yours is better :)
Love the HEAB take on egg and toast. I’m becoming quite obsessed with stir fried/roasted veggies.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 25, 2009 at 8:39 am

Millet, teff, buckwheat, oats groats, quinoa…girl, you and my old naturopath would love each other. He was a big GF grains guy. I am GF but not as into grains so it’s kinda like what-evahhhh for me. But you made the millet look so good. I may have to get grainy. What I am eyeing though are your brussels’s sprouts. Now those are totally up my chomp-chomp alley! TGIF to you Sweet Heather, enjoy your day and your weekend!!!!! :)

xoxo

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 25, 2009 at 8:41 am

I never tried that one. I love going down the bulk grains aisle at WF and smiling wondering which one Heather will try next. I need to use up the barley and bulgur I have before Hunni will let me buy more grains.

Jessica September 25, 2009 at 8:45 am

I have never tried Millet but I really want to! Thanks for your review. :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 25, 2009 at 8:47 am

I love millet! There is a multi-grain cereal using millet in Vegan Soul Kitchen that I trialed recently … so delish. Since all the grains have different cooking times, you have to adjust, but the recipe helped a ton.

The Foodie Diaries September 25, 2009 at 8:49 am

I’ve never tried it, but it looks soooooo good with the brussel sprouts!

Heather September 25, 2009 at 8:54 am

Love millet! It’s especially good in a cold grain salad with veggies and protein of your choice (mine=beans/lentils). I’ve made breakfast millet before but it hasn’t been my favorite breakfast grain. That bread, however, looks super awesome and fantastic. I’m going to try it with my food processor and see how it goes. Thanks for the link!

VeggieGirl September 25, 2009 at 8:54 am

MILLET!!! One of the only gluten-free grains that sit well with me :-D

Betherann September 25, 2009 at 9:03 am

Love that bread recipe! I’m going to have to try it.

Lisa September 25, 2009 at 9:07 am

I ate millet a lot growing up because my family lived in a tropical country. And now I still buy it and eat it occasionally…but it’s been a while, so it’s definitely time to make some!

And yes, brussel sprouts are one of my favorites, especially dipped in hummus! :)

Tyler September 25, 2009 at 9:10 am

I’ve never had millet cooked like that before, but once I had a roommate whose mom was a really good cook and would bring us these amazing muffins with fresh ground ww flour, millet, and dried fruit. The millet added a cool texture, and I think those are probably the best muffins if I’ve had. I always associate millet with those muffins, but I bet millet is great right out of the almond butter jar, too :)

Susan September 25, 2009 at 9:12 am

You are the grain Queen Heather!! Leaving no grain behind :P I don’t think I’ve ever tried millet, not on purpose anyways. I will though!

Teresa September 25, 2009 at 9:17 am

My first delvings into the world of millet, began with Dreena Burton’s Amaranth Millet Porridge (in Vive Le Vegan, I think). It quickly became a once a week staple amidst my oatmeal breakfasts. I got more adventurous from there, but that was my tried and true go to. Although I’m lovin that bread you made!

Funny story- When I lived in Peru for 6 months, I brought some staples with me including, millet. The first time I made it, my mostly British roommates, who always wanted my vegan cooking, asked me “what is that?” When I told them it was millet, they looked at me and said, “wait, isn’t that bird food!” Haha hey, if bird food tastes that good and is that good for you, then I’m all about eating it!

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 25, 2009 at 9:21 am

I have not yet, but certainly should try it soon. I am newly into quinoa and like it!

Holly September 25, 2009 at 9:22 am

I have never tried millet….but I want to! Off to google recipes w/millet. :-)

Melanie September 25, 2009 at 9:42 am

Hi Heather! I love reading your blog!! I will need to try Millet – looks very good from your photos! I love the idea of trying the millet bread too!

My new favorite breakfast is Erewhon’s brown rice cream cereal. Have been eating it with blueberries or strawberries. Would terrific with almond butter too!

Have a fun on your new bike – I need to shop for one of those as well :-)

Have a great weekend!

Oh I really enjoyed your photos of CO too! Such a beautiful state!

Melanie

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 11:00 am

Melanie, Off to Google Erehwon’s brown rice cream cereal. Sounds yummy!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 25, 2009 at 9:45 am

Haven’t tried the millet, but I am riding the grain train again, so I will give it a go. I toasted my quinoa the other day before cooking and enjoyed it ever so much more, so now I have no fear when it comes to trying new grains!!!

Hope you and CD have a great weekend!

janetha September 25, 2009 at 9:58 am

you are the grain queen. whenever i pass the bob’s red mill section at the market i think of you, no lie! i have only tried oats and oat bran.. i am such a grain failure ;) have a great weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 11:07 am

Janetha, Not a grain failure. Oats and oat bran? Enough to keep anyone happy. :)

Annie September 25, 2009 at 9:59 am

Do you add any yeast or baking soda/powder to the bread??? What makes it rise? It looks delish, and I have a whole sack of millet in my house…

Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 11:06 am

Annie, You don’t add anything to the bread. I can’t believe it baked up like that as it was so liquidy when I poured it into the pan. I melted 1 TBSP coconut oil in my the pan before adding the batter. My reader tells me the recipe is from *Mother Necessity Gluten Free/ Casein Free Recipes* by Cristin Fergus, and it’s the only bread she ever eats.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 25, 2009 at 10:08 am

I absolutely LOVE millet! I haven’t had it in the longest time, but its so delicous!
have a great Friday and weekend!

Dee September 25, 2009 at 10:27 am

Thanks for this post, Heather.

I’ve wondered about Bob’s millet, and now I know! I’ll purchase some soon.

Devan Geselle N September 25, 2009 at 10:28 am

Heather, i love your blog!! I have been reading for quite a while. and have left some comments here and there.
You are so fabulous!! :) and creative!! I love all your grain and HEAB creations!! wooho :) I actually bought oat groats and thought of you :)
I now must try some millet. I want to make that millet bread!!! Maybe I will try it with bulger.. i have bulger right now. haha :) have you tried it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 11:03 am

Devan, Thanks so much for reading. I have tried bulgur wheat…I LOVE tabouli salad. One of my favorites!

Holly September 25, 2009 at 10:37 am

Heather, I feed millet to my bird!!! You really DO eat like a bird!… I didn’t know humans could eat it too!

Metta September 25, 2009 at 10:40 am

I love millet. Recently I discovered the perfection of amaranth & millet cooked together – equal parts amaranth and millet cooked stovetop with water. The amaranth helps keep everything creamy and moist, as leftover millet tends to get incredibly dry. The flavor is wonderful! This may sound weird, but I love the amaranth/millet just slightly warm smushed with my salad of romaine and avocado. Perfectly creamy and crunchy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 11:01 am

Metta, Your weird salad sounds amazing to me. Must find some amaranth ASAP!

Kimberly September 25, 2009 at 11:04 am

I love millet, too!! Having to eat gluten-free for the past 3.5 years has really forced me to open many new doors in my diet and I am so glad that I did. I love millet, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa, sorghum. YUM!! I have to try that bread!

balancejoyanddelicias September 25, 2009 at 11:08 am

such a fun recipe for millet! I’ve never thought using it to make bread! now, I need to try that out! ;)

Tiffany S. September 25, 2009 at 11:25 am

I had to check my questionable list of grains a blood test said I was allergic to – NOT millet! Hooray (apparently spelt and kamut though, like I run into those every day!). Will have to try!

So I thought with the refurbed Vitamixes (mixi?) we couldn’t grind flour – or did you just go for it anyway? Clearly it worked. They may have just wanted the upsell.

Have a fab weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 11:37 am

Tiffany, I went for it – no problems. I own the dry blade, but I have never once used it. The refurbed wet blade does it all in my opinion.

Jaya September 25, 2009 at 11:32 am

I’ve had millet as a breakfast (similar to yours) and I also love it in layered casseroles. I love grains – they are like chameleons!

Sina September 25, 2009 at 11:46 am

Wow, what a funny coincidence! I’m supposed to eat more millet (or iron-rich foods in general) and didn’t develop much love for this grain so far (well, the millet stir-fry I recently had was okay). Therefore, I really enjoyed reading your post about it. Thanks!

Alison September 25, 2009 at 11:47 am

I made a great recipe from Heidi Swanson with millet last year. Your post just reminded me of. A great fall dish.

Bridget September 25, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Love millet! I like to leave it in a jar with water for 24 hours before cooking, so it gets delicious and fermented. Thats the traditional African way it have it, fermented. But I must try that bread!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 25, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for the tip Bridget. You know how I love my fermented foods. [?]

fartygirl September 25, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Made my birthday cake with millet flour…http://fartygirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/yesterday-i-turned-31-today-i-ate-two.html

It makes for very sweet and soft breads. Love it!

Shelby September 25, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I loooooove millet! It’s a little plain but when you mix it up with other things, it tastes to good!

N.D. September 25, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Millet bread! I have to try this! I have been using millet for my baby Nick’s cereal and had it once like rice but bread – mmm!!!

MarathonVal September 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm

No, I’ve never tried it, but I love hearing about all of your interesting grain experiences!! I really do love tryign new foods, but those “alternative” food items tend to be more expensive which I why I usually stick to the cheaper yet boring quinoa or rice.

Thanks for the review!

Also, don’t forget to enter my giveaway to win a year’s subscription to Vegetarian Times magazine! :)

Abby @ Abby's VeGan Eats September 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Millet is the one of the few grains I have not tried. I am quite tempted to now, though!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE brussels, though. Delicious!! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 25, 2009 at 5:51 pm

HeabS! You’re so sweet to fart my name…I should give you my StatCounter password so you can check on the HEAB effect as I’m on a stat-diet :-) Seriously glad you guys enjoyed the treat.

Am I blind? I didn’t see any eggs in your omelet? Time for new glasses for grandma. Or maybe just a first pair to start with.

Millet- here’s a funny story- way back in the last century, my Dad went through a healthfood stage and he used to make millet all the time- the rumour was that it BURNS FAT (just like Peanut Butter creates cellulite=grrr). I never found it filling. Guess what, to this day I still don’t. But then again, you know that the only thing that fills me up in the AMs is smoothies. Like the taste though- and try it toasted too- just dry toast it in the pan so it gets a roasty flavor!

Have a wonderful friday my friend! :-)

livingfreeforever September 25, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I used to eat millet a lot but haven’t had any for a while since cutting back on the grains. Let me know if you try fermenting it. You know I’m right there with ya with the fermented foods:)

I just had roasted brussel sprouts for dinner last night and my hubby actually ate them too:)

Have a great weekend!
XOXO

RunToTheFinish September 25, 2009 at 7:21 pm

man all these grains I haven’t tried…how is that possible, I love my grains

PeonyJen September 25, 2009 at 8:41 pm

There’s my millet bread! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope your readers use virgin coconut oil, because the refined does the bread a great disservice. Additionally, unrefined oil is so very good for you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 26, 2009 at 9:46 am

PeonyJen, I know – CD and I love unrefined coconut oil. We use the Garden of Life brand…just ordered 2 cases. That’s 12 jars. Lots of millet bread in our future. :)

yogiclarebear September 25, 2009 at 9:02 pm

what does it taste like? i hate the taste of quinoa…is it like that?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 26, 2009 at 9:53 am

Clare, Millet doesn’t taste like quinoa, but I never did try it plain – always mixed it with my sweetened protein powder or made the bread. I loved the chew factor, and although I do like quinoa, I think I prefer millet.

psychoj1 September 25, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Millet sounds neat! Love your eggs and toast, HEAB style!
<3 jess

Jess September 26, 2009 at 1:27 am

I love millet. It’s such a versatile grain because you can cook it with less water and get a great rice-type substitute or cook it with lots of water for a more mashed potatoes-esque dish. I can’t believe I haven’t tried it in a sweet, breakfasty way before. Next up!

Allie September 26, 2009 at 6:41 am

Howdy! That recipe looks a lot like the super simple flatbread that I adore from Mark Bittman (http://www.markbittman.com/recipes/easy-whole-grain-flatbread). I use chickpea flour or a chickpea/fava blend. It makes a great pizza crust too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 26, 2009 at 9:48 am

Thanks Allie, I was wondering how the millet bread would work as a pizza crust. I’ll check out the Mark Bittman link.

CaSaundra September 26, 2009 at 7:18 am

You are a grain gal for sure! I have heard of millet, but never tried it.

Nicole September 26, 2009 at 9:34 am

Thanks for the millet review! I found a recipe for pumpkin bread that calls for millet and I was afraid to use it because I don’t want it to taste TOO different than the normal bread because then Dennis won’t eat it. picky boys.
I have to try making that millet bread too…

eatingbirdfood September 26, 2009 at 11:36 am

I’ve never had millet before- at least from what I can remember. But I’m totally up for eating horse and bird like food so I think I should give it a go.

Did you like it just as much as oats/oatbran??

Have a great weekend Heather.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 26, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Nothing will EVER replace oats/oatbran, but the millet was a nice change. Loved the chewy texture – reminded me of steel cut oats. Hope you have a good weekend as well Brittany!

Julia September 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Millet, hmmm. I’ve never tried it, but you make it look pretty tasty!

WholeBodyLove September 26, 2009 at 9:19 pm

15% protein, that’s awesome! I wish I would have read this post before grocery shopping today!

yogiclarebear September 26, 2009 at 9:21 pm

oh there is a chew factor? i love chews…will look for a small amount in bulk to try soon. thanks heather!

Marissa September 26, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I need to try millet!

Reigne September 26, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Hi Heather.
Thanks for the millet inspiration! Their is currently a bag of it sitting in my pantry, along with a bag of quinoa, a bag of barley and three varieties of oats (instant, rolled and bran.) Which is probably why my mum forbids me from buying anymore grains…

I definately have to try out that bread. I have a big soft spot for Indian/African foods, especially naan, and roti bread!

Oh, and also… Do you mind if I add you to my blog roll? I’m not sure if it’s acceptable to just add a blog without asking, so I thought I’d ask just to be on the safe side.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 6:39 am

Reigne,First off, yes, of course you can add me to your blogroll. Thank you so much. What is your blog’s URL? I’d love to stop by. :)

And secondly, can I raid your pantry? :)

Reigne September 27, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Thanks!

The url is babyhealthnut.wordpress.com . Please excuse the… lack of posts and messiness, as I’ve only just started blogging, and am having a errm… little… bit of trouble working my way around the wordpress blogging tools.

Hopefully I’ll be able to add another post and make it slightly more organised later on today.

As for raiding my pantry – go ahead! :D Heck. You could probably live in there.

hayleycepeda September 27, 2009 at 6:53 pm

I used to watch this British show with Gillian McKeith on BBC called, “You Are What You Eat,” and she was ALWAYS talking about how good millet is for you. I almost bought it one time until a very health-conscious veggie friend of mine told me it tasted like bird seed. I haven’t tried it since she said that! Looks like most other grains though so I’m not sure how it could be that bad!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hayley,I loved millet, but I’m a bird seed kind of gal. ;)

Mike September 29, 2009 at 1:22 am

Thanks for the good info on the Millet. I have been eating gluten free and have been making quinoa and love it, but am always up for trying new foods. Keep up the good work.

Shari B. (FitFeat) September 29, 2009 at 5:21 am

Hi Heather! Gosh I feel like I’ve missed so much on your blog. I just got back from a 12-day visit with my family and was in serious blog withdrawal!

I tried millet about 4 months ago for the first time and LOVE it. I made it for a stuffed green pepper recipe. After cooking the millet, I added things like cumin, black beans, and tomatoes. It was so tasty!

Great post!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 5:46 am

Shari B, Welcome back. :)

PeonyJen September 30, 2009 at 8:27 pm

How much does 12 jars of coconut oil cost? Just curious, because I go through a jar a week.

DouglasH October 2, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Hmm, All those years passing those fields of Millet going back home to Ill, and I don’t think I ever had millet in any form.

Looks to be GF (Gluten Free) So will look into adding into my diet.

Recently read a interesting fact on Miso soup. for the Vegetarians out there it is an excellent source of B12, Now If I can just find Miso without having to drive 20 miles out of my way to Whole foods:) Not a strict Vegetarian (I Like Fish and I am not going to give it up without a fight)

Love Brussels sprouts so will have to try that scrambled eggs recipe some time.

hmm just thinking millet should sprout good also, and can ferment hmm milletgurt anyone??

BTW made my first batch of oatgurt the other day.

While searching on millet and gf came across this site. http://www.bodyecology.com/index.php

Some of it salesy but the parts about fermented foods, and good probiotics and prebiotics I agree with.

hope you have a good weekend.

Douglas

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 3, 2009 at 7:26 am

Douglas,Love my fish too. Don’t ever give it up. :)

I had another reader tell me she soaks her millet for 24 hours so that it will ferment before cooking. I need to do some research and give it a try. First, I need to buy more millet as I’m all out, and I really want to make that bread again.

Off to check out the link you sent me. Thanks and have a good weekend. Oh, and go buy some miso…it’s totally worth the drive as a big container will last you forever. It’s a necessity in my kitchen as it makes the best homemade dressings.

-Heather

yogiclarebear October 3, 2009 at 9:29 pm

ok millet! this has been my hot cereal grain for the past few days. i like the taste and the texture! the bad news is, i haven’t pooped in 2 days. :( im not sure if this is the culprit but it is the only change in my diet. ill keep trying to mix it with oat bran and stuff. anyways, thanks for the millet info and ideas heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 4, 2009 at 7:24 am

Clare,That is no good. Add some chia seeds. I usually have 2 to 4 TBSP a day…definitely help keep ya regular.