And So The Love Affair Begins

by HEAB on September 27, 2009

I am in love with tahini.

tahiniTahini has been a staple in my kitchen for years, but I usually just used it in my favorite raw cheeze sauce.  I’ve always loved hummus and tahini type salad dressings, but while in Colorado over the summer, I rediscovered this versatile seed butter after dining at Trinity Brewing Company.  Their tahini salad dressing was so good, and I decided right then and there that I needed to incorporate more tahini into my life.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with tahini, it is a paste made from ground sesame seeds, often used in Middle Eastern dishes.  Tahini will be the focus of this week’s posts, and I’m hoping to share a different tahini concoction with you everyday.  Should be fun…and perhaps a little weird.  Shall we begin? ;)

I present to you my first Tahini Meal of the Day

Sunday Morning Pancakes

Sunday Morning Pancakes

Growing up, my Dad used to make the most amazing breakfasts every Sunday, and since I had nothing on the agenda early this morning, I decided to make myself a little something special.  Thanks for the inspiration Papa Mac – Love you! I used Maggie’s Protein Fiber Crepes recipe but subbed 2 TBSP of Jay Robb rice protein powder for the PB2 and oat bran for the wheat bran. My toppings included 1 tsp raw honey, 1 TBSP tahini, leftover roasted butternut squash, cinnamon, and this new find…

Non-dairy, Non-soy whipped cream.  Brilliant!

Non-dairy, Non-soy whipped cream. Brilliant!

What a delicious breakfast.  Perfect pre-yoga fuel.  I hope you’ll join me for tomorrow’s Tahini Meal of the Day…quite the interesting combo if I do say so myself, and you won’t want to miss it.

Before I go to yoga, just wanted to send a special thanks out to Annabel over at Feed Me I’m Cranky for her sweet gift of Kashi and Luna bar coupons as well as a CD full of workout songs. Thanks Annabel!

Can't wait to listen to the CD!

Can't wait to listen to the CD!

Hope all of you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Maggie September 27, 2009 at 8:11 am

Rice whip?!?! Woo hoo!!

Glad you enjoyed the crepes :) I have a better recipe for “brancakes” coming soon that you will LOVE. With real maple syrup on top.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 8:15 am

Maggie,Yes, Rice Whip. Discovered it while in search of coconut milk kefir. Had to stop myself from doing a little dance in the dairy aisle. [?]

Erin September 27, 2009 at 8:16 am

I’m excited for tahini recipes! I always have it around, and clearly love hummus, but I’ve never used it alone. Crazy, now that you mention it!

Pancakes look divine. Butternut goes with everything, doesn’t it?
Happy Sunday, Heather!

Evan Thomas September 27, 2009 at 8:18 am

Hmm, and I thought tahini was only for hummus, guess I was way off. That rice whip looks like a great find! Enjoy your weekend!

Susan September 27, 2009 at 8:20 am

Ohmygosh, I love the idea of using tahini in things other than hummus AND squash on pancakes!! Clearly I need to move my tahini jar out from the back of the fridge ;)

Shelby September 27, 2009 at 8:20 am

Amazing breakfast Heather! I love how you added the squash, oh and Rice Whip?! I must find that soon!

I guess I’ll just have to buy tahini myself and see what the fuss is about.

Leah September 27, 2009 at 8:20 am

I just found out that I can buy tahini here in the UK so i’m excited to see some more recipes! I have yet to make hummus with it, haha – so I hope I can experiment with the other ones you post! Hope you had a good weekend as well Heather!

Heather September 27, 2009 at 8:21 am

I love love love tahini. Tahini salad dressings are my absolute favorite! So needless to say, I am looking forward to all of these posts. YAY!

Tabitha September 27, 2009 at 8:32 am

Oh I love tahini, I go through a jar a fortnight,a dollop of it works wonders on most things.

MelissaNibbles September 27, 2009 at 8:38 am

The rice whip looks delish! Enjoy your Sunday :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 27, 2009 at 8:53 am

Tahini…great post idea. It’s sooooo versatile, can’t wait to see what you do with it. Gosh, now that I think about it, I’m out and need some. Oh wait, the 3 kinds of PB, PB2, AB, Pumpkin Butter from TJs, Sunflower Seed butter, and various chocolate spreads that I currently have will have to suffice…for now :) I made another batch of coconut milk kefir, pics will be up later today. Your score du jour is that rice whip action. Nice score Heather!!! Have a Happy Sunday and hope your brekkie was as good as it looked :)

averie

VeggieGirl September 27, 2009 at 9:12 am

Tahini & butternut squash sounds INCREDIBLE!! And I must ask you how you roast your squash, since I seem to be burning mine lately :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 11:40 am

VeggieGirl, I cut up my butternut squash into bite size chunks, and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sometimes I make it plain, sometimes I add a little coconut oil, cinnamon, stevia, but I always roast it in a 425 degree oven for about 45 to 50 minutes. It’s weird, but I notice that it cooks faster on my newer baking sheets. Takes 10 minutes longer on my older one. Looking forward to our chat. :)

Becky September 27, 2009 at 9:28 am

yay I’m excited for the tahini recipes! With the last jar I bought, I experimented outside of the usual hummus. I put some on toasted Ezekiel bread and loved it. Can’t wait for more! :)

Tiffany S. September 27, 2009 at 9:28 am

Bring it on! Can’t wait to see what your pretty brain comes up with! Happy weekend!

fartygirl September 27, 2009 at 9:28 am

I’m not feeling hungry at all. Then I come to HEABland. See a stack of pancakes. Realize it’s been far too long since I’ve eaten a pancake.

Graze With Me September 27, 2009 at 10:04 am

I never buy tahini. I’m looking forward to your recipes this week for a reason to!! I’ve always been afraid it will end up being one of those condiments that you purchase for one recipe and then they sit in the fridge for months….

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) September 27, 2009 at 10:10 am

Every time I roast butternut squash lately it seems to watery or something and never “browns” nicely. What’s your secret?? As with others, tahini always scared me and was reserved solely for hummus making! I must branch out!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 11:50 am

Abby, I just cut the butternut squash into thin bite-sized chunks and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet, sometimes plain and other times, I drizzle coconut oil on top with some cinnamon, salt, and stevia. Then roast in a 425 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end as cooking times can vary with different ovens.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) September 27, 2009 at 10:13 am

What fun- to have a “theme” for the week- great idea HEABS! Will you do a “sweet” tahini (stevia obvi) as well? Dying to hear how THAT could be. I’ve always had a tahiniphobia b/c of the cals, but it’s absolutely no different to PB or AB. We just tend to use it more liberally, hence adding 500 cals in just tahini-condiment-mania. But the taste in unparalleled and very hard to describe!

Enjoy your day. I’ll email you later.

Love,
D

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 11:42 am

Deb/Smoothie Girl – yes, expect some sweet tahini action sometime this week. :)

Jenny September 27, 2009 at 10:16 am

that rice whip looks killer killer, even better than dairy whipped cream — which I’ll be honest, didn’t think was possible.

Can’t wait to read more about your love affair with Tahini :)

missyrayn September 27, 2009 at 10:26 am

I’ve always wanted to make my own hummus but never have because I don’t want to buy a jar of Tahini and not have enough uses for it.

Needless to say I am super excited about this week’s posts so that I can finally buy my jar and make not only hummus but some great other recipes!

homecookedem September 27, 2009 at 11:00 am

The butternut squash topping is genious!! But I wouldn’t expect anything less from a HEAB breakfast!! :)

Lele September 27, 2009 at 11:26 am

Oh wow. I inhale tahini in hummus and with falafel, but pancakes? You are taking it to the next level, for sure!

hopeinpeanutbutterandoats September 27, 2009 at 11:36 am

hmm NEVER had tahini plain before, muy interested now!
hope you have a wonderful day, and take a shot of whipped “cream” for me ;)

fartygirl September 27, 2009 at 11:38 am

I, a second Miss Ryan, second what the first Miss Ryan said. I never buy tahini. But I want to, because I’ve tried to make hummus without it and it sucks! Gimme some more reasons to spend that cash, girl. <3

Jessica September 27, 2009 at 11:41 am

That Rice Whip looks neat!

N.D. September 27, 2009 at 11:49 am

I’ll have to give tahini another try – I use it for hummus but find it to be soo bitter!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 11:52 am

N.D. Try mixing tahini it with just a touch of raw honey for the most amazing spread, dip, topping. SO GOOD!

livingfreeforever September 27, 2009 at 11:52 am

Okay, tahini is going on my grocery list! Those pancakes look yummy–and non-dairy whip cream–YUM! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next:)

Julia September 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Maranatha makes Tahini! Fabulous!

Amy September 27, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I am so excited about tahini week!!! I put tahini on just about everything. I thought I was crazy. I can’t wait to see what delicious uses you have for tahini.

Liz September 27, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Quite the original breakfast. You dream up creations I would never think of!

Lisa September 27, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I like tahini but not nearly as much as almond butter and my beloved plain ole peanut butter. Even so, I should definitely try this recipe and try making some new dishes other than just hummus with it! Yours looks so good! :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 27, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Oh, I am still hesitant with tahini. Love it as an ingredient in savory dishes, but ew, that bitterness! Probably good with the honey :)

Rosey Rebecca September 27, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Your breakfast looks so yummy! Can’t wait to see what other creations you come up with.

Erica September 27, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Tahini is fabulous! I love that you can use it in so many ways! Can’t wait to see what else you’ve been using it for. Rice whip? I need to get my hands on this!!

Reigne September 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Ooh Tahini. That reminds me, I have to buy some more of the stuff. Have you tried Gena’s raw zucchini hummus yet? You have to… It’s amazing! I found it a little too bitter, so I added a little sugar + salt to even out the flavour… Then proceeded to devour half a batch of the stuff. Nom nom nom.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Reigne, Never met a Gena recipe I didn’t like. I shall try her hummus soon. :)

lola September 27, 2009 at 6:04 pm

wooow tahini on pancakes? i always had the idea that tahini was salty-savory but i’m guessing it’s neutral then?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Lola, In my opinion, tahini works great in salty/savory dishes like hummus or salad dressings, but it’s amazing mixed with a little honey and used as a sweet topping. YUM!

Ellen (Peace in Motion) September 27, 2009 at 6:30 pm

RICE WHIP. that is amazinggggggggg. I can not wait to find it on my shelves.

hayleycepeda September 27, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I love tahini, too!! It always makes me think of my mom’s home made hummus when we lived in Saudi Arabia. I remember her buying it from the store in a plain jar…there wasn’t even a label on it. I look forward to seeing more tahini posts! :)

RunToTheFinish September 27, 2009 at 7:00 pm

oh I have a whole jar of tahini to use or toss before moving, can’t wait for more ideas!!

Emily September 27, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I’ve only used tahini in hummus, so I’m excited to see all your creative meals. :-)

How is that rice whip? Does it taste close to the fake stuff? :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Emily,In all honesty, the Rice Whip kind of got lost in the strong flavors of the tahini and raw honey. It was good – not too sweet. Much better than soy whip anyway. Guess I’ll just have to try it again…darn. I’ll blog about more sometime this week. :)

Morgan (lifeafterbagels) September 27, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Heather – will you have to change the name of your blog H E T ?!?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 27, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Morgan,No, never. Almond butter will always be #1 on my list!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 27, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Ah, MaraNatha can do no wrong. I just wish I could find more of their products near me. It made me an almond butter convert! :)

I would love to try some rice whip. I fell in love with rice milk recently so I can only imagine that is good too ;-)

I love seeing your product reviews because they are what I am looking for. Thank you!

Jaya September 27, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Heather, I can’t wait to see what tahini tricks you have up your sleeve! I love the stuff and use it as a binder in my granola bars, spread it in falafel sandwiches or combine it with a few squeezes of lemon, yogurt, cumin and tamarind chutney for a great salad dressing or drizzle over steamed veggies. I love your sense of adventure and variety…inspiring!

runninghealthy September 27, 2009 at 8:39 pm

i love tahini and can’t wait to see what you do with it! there is an tahini/eggplant salad that i can’t remember the name of right now, but it is amazing. your pancakes look absolutely delicious!

baba gunush… that’s the name of the salad. like i said… amazing!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 28, 2009 at 4:26 am

Krista, I love Baba Ganoush. So yummy!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I kid you not, I bought Maranatha Tahini last night and made a sauce out of it from Vive Le Vegan and have already finished the whole batch: on salad, stirfried veggies, burritos, you name it. I have no idea how I didn’t know my love for tahini. All along I thought it was just hummus instead of getting to the root of the action, you know?!

Annabel @ www.FeedMeImCranky.com September 28, 2009 at 2:48 am

Your dish looks amazing! I love how creative you are! I look forward to seeing your different tahini concoction every day this week :D

I have never bought tahini before but have wanted to try it. There was actually a tahini-based cookie recipe on the Whole Foods website I hadn’t wanted to try.

Thanks for the shout out! I hope you enjoy the music! :D

Gina September 28, 2009 at 4:41 am

Right now, tahini is definitely not a fav of mine, but I am curious to see what you will do with it this week!!

Gena (Choosing Raw) September 28, 2009 at 7:50 am

Tahini is pretty godly. I prefer it to nut butter!!

Megan September 28, 2009 at 7:57 am

Yay! I love tahini!

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Marissa September 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I love tahini! This reminds me that I need to use it more.

and I MUST get that rice whip. Matt has been after me to find a good soy and dairy free whip cream replacement.

CaSaundra September 28, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I have actually seen Rice Whip, but haven’t bought it..yet. How do you think it compares to its dairy counterpart?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 28, 2009 at 5:29 pm

CaSaundra, The rice whip was good, but I couldn’t really taste it when mixed when the strong flavors of the tahini and honey. I’m going to try it again soon, and will post about it. Definitely better than the soy whip, but I don’t think anything can ever top real dairy whipped cream!

broccolihut September 28, 2009 at 9:23 pm

LOVE tahini, not just because I am obsessed with homemade hummus. I highly recommend it in combination with agave nectar on toast for a quick brekkie.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 5:48 am

Broccolihut, I am loving it with raw honey. Yes, so good on toast! Have you ever tried it on Manna Bread? Fruit and nut Manna Bread + tahini + honey. Amazing.

Rebecca September 29, 2009 at 8:55 pm

PERFECT! I just bought some tahini about a week ago, loved it , and didn’t know what to use it for other than hummus and the usual. Thanks!

Sarena September 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Oh those pancakes look delicious! I wish I had them now…I love pancakes for dinner!

Pam (Highway to Health) October 1, 2009 at 10:34 am

I need to find that rice whip!!! It looks awesome

{ 2 trackbacks }