Asian Fusion Oats

by HEAB on September 28, 2009

Over the weekend, I took cooked oatmeal to a whole new level after following this guy’s advice.  According to him, there is only one tried and true method for cooking oats, and Mr. Quaker is definitely not involved.  I was intrigued.

1. Purchase oat groats.  I buy mine from the bulk bins at Whole Foods for less than $1/lb.

IMG_32242. Grind groats in a grain mill or coffee grinder and soak in water overnight. (I used my Vita-Mix).

1/2 cup oat groats + 1 1/2 cups water.

1/2 cup oat groats + 1 1/2 cups water.

3. Pour ground oat groats + soaking water into pot on stove top and cook on medium heat until thick and creamy.

All Done.

All Done.

4. Add mix-ins…which leads us to…

HEAB’s Tahini Meal of the Day

All I have to say is "Wow!"

"Holy Trinity of Savory Oatmeal"

Into my cooked oat groats went 1 tsp raw honey, 1 tsp white miso paste, and 1 TBSP raw tahini.  I have no words…no words to describe the amazing flavor of this bowl.  Honestly, the cooked oat groats didn’t impress me much. They were good – better than rolled oats, but I still prefer oat bran. However, the combo of the honey/miso/tahini…WOW!  Are you going to try it?

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) September 28, 2009 at 8:26 am

Um YES. Being a total tahini freak I feel like this would be right up my alley…must make ASAP! Thanks for the recipe!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 28, 2009 at 8:28 am

Tahini in oats? What a lovely idea! I haven’t had oats ground like that since I was a little girl… it reminds me I have to do that and soon.

Have a great Monday!

Evan Thomas September 28, 2009 at 8:32 am

That tahini mix sounds a little too adventurous for me, but I’d love to give groats a try, and oatgurt for that matter. I try to get 2 source of probiotics a day and I just tried kefir for the first time and really liked it.

N.D. September 28, 2009 at 8:34 am

Thanks for posting about the groats – I have them and don’t know what to do with them! I am iffy about the tahini. I’ll try it soon!

Chocolate-Covered Katie September 28, 2009 at 8:34 am

You know my favorite savory oat mix in is our beloved smart balance… but your taste buds never steer me wrong, so Mr. Smart Balance will just have to take a back seat for a day so I can try your idea!
:) Super-excited!

Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn September 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

I have to be honest… it sounds weird! I love tahini also.. but in oats? With miso?? Ahh! It makes me nervous haha. Glad you’re rockin it though Heather :)

missyrayn September 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

I’m not a huge fan of miso but I would like to try the grinding my own oats thing for a change.

VeggieGirl September 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

Wowza, that tahini meal is definitely named correctly – cue the angel choir! :-D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 28, 2009 at 9:03 am

Glad to hear you say you dont love the groats. Not that they’re bad, just that they’re a no biggie. They are really hard for me to find, bran or rolled much easier. And so why go to all that extra work when the easier stuff is just as good…my sentiments at least :)

Tahini in the ole oat creations? Really good no doubt. I’d be adding cinnamon and either vanilla stevia or agave though to mine b/c I’m a sucker for sweet oats!

xoxo
averie
p.s. I got a nasty comment last night on my blog and thought of you. Was talkin to Miss Smoothie Girl and she told me you’ve gotten some doosies. I took the garbage down and moved on. It helped me knowing that (sadly) you and many others have gone thru your fair share of rude comments. Anyway my lady, love to you on this Monday morning! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 28, 2009 at 9:28 am

Averie, Sorry about the mean comment. Been there, and it is no fun. I know it’s easier to remember the bad ones, even when they’re outnumbered by supportive comments. Just try and just focus on the good ones – that’s what i do. :)

Jessica September 28, 2009 at 9:06 am

Ohmigosh that sounds interesting! I don’t know if it’s up my alley, but I’m willing to give it a try!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) September 28, 2009 at 9:12 am

Wow that is definitely new for me! I don’t know if I am that brave yet but I love the idea of trying to cook oats that way. I’m glad to hear Whole Foods has them for cheap in bulk. I do need to branch out of the oat canister ;-)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 28, 2009 at 9:12 am

Okay, okay. I’ll try the tahini blend – but I have to get my hands on some miso first; I’m all out!

glidingcalm September 28, 2009 at 9:13 am

wow! those def. look creamy!!! and I’d buy miso again, but im afraid i wouldn’t use it up!

Erica September 28, 2009 at 9:24 am

Very nice! Looks super creaming. Love the step by step instructions

Peace and Peanutbutter September 28, 2009 at 9:32 am

YUM! Need to grab some miso and try this out! Thanks HEAB!

balancejoyanddelicias September 28, 2009 at 9:46 am

such a nice combo! I’ll definitely try to combine raw tahini and honey. :)

Brandi September 28, 2009 at 9:51 am

i’ve never had tahini except in hummus form. I should try to find some.

this bowl of oats looks awesome!

Naomi September 28, 2009 at 9:59 am

my dad is isreali and makes homemade hummos/tahini but tahini in oats?? wow never would have thought those two could go together so nicely, but it looks great! what a unique idea! :)

Susan September 28, 2009 at 10:05 am

I have a confession to make. I bought miso after your post waaaay back on drinking it in the morning. I hoped it would help with my digestive issues. Except, I haven’t opened it yet!!! I love the idea of putting it in oats though, maybe I’ll finally crack the package open ;)

RunToTheFinish September 28, 2009 at 10:39 am

ok this one scares me a little and I don’t have miso..but I’m going to try to figure out how to make this..again gotta use this tahini!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) September 28, 2009 at 10:44 am

Mmmmmm that sounds delicious! Definitely going to have to try it =) I LOVE the saltiness of Miso, and the creaminess of Tahini…and the sweetness of honey. Can’t go wrong here!

Maggie September 28, 2009 at 10:51 am

I don’t even have tahini… But yes, I will probably try it. I don’t think I’ve had tahini in ages. I always just buy normal nut butters. My mom always had it on hand when I was growing up so I’m not sure why I never thought to buy any.

Holly September 28, 2009 at 11:10 am

you never cease to amaze me with your creative concoctions!

Devan Geselle N September 28, 2009 at 11:22 am

BRILLIANT!
i am trying this! amazing.
I think I will try this recipe with bulger..

buffmuffy September 28, 2009 at 11:26 am

great post! I was wondering how all this worked and this makes it plain as day.
what is tahini?
-muffy

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 28, 2009 at 11:55 am

Muffy, Tahini is nothing but ground sesame seeds and if often used in Middle Eastenr dishes like hummus, baba ganoush, etc.

Lisa September 28, 2009 at 11:32 am

I’ve never tried miso–I know, I need to!

But I’d definitely like to try grinding up oats groats and making the cereal that way. :) Looks great!

Liz September 28, 2009 at 11:36 am

Looks good, but I don’t know about savory oats. I like sweeter tasting things for breakfast, like bananas or almond butter.

hayleycepeda September 28, 2009 at 11:58 am

Ooooh wow…this looks different for sure.. You definitely deserve an award for creativity in the kitchen! I’m on an oat bran kick (thanks to you!) right now so I’d probably try this with the bran instead of groats. I’m thinking maybe I will have to try this…! :)

Bridget September 28, 2009 at 11:59 am

Thats the method I use for millet. Looks delicious! Honey miso tahini, yum.

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) September 28, 2009 at 12:30 pm

You inspired me to try millet (ill post about it tonight) SO I cant see why oat groats wont be next! Looks really, really good!

charlotte September 28, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I have never bought oat groats because I was never sure how to cook them! (This despite the fact that I regularly buy buckwheat groats and millet and have figured out how to cook them.) Thanks for the tutorial, Heather Eats Oats!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) September 28, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Totally on board. I have all of those items in the casa so perhaps in the next few days. Love the creativity!! :-D

runninghealthy September 28, 2009 at 1:18 pm

i love reading your blog because it really stretches me out of my comfort zone as far as food and cooking goes! i can’t imagine that combination but its definitely intriguing!

Alison September 28, 2009 at 1:36 pm

So interesting! You’re lucky to have a Vita Mix. They are amazing.

Erin September 28, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Oat bran is tough to beat. I had an extra good bowl this morning, that had me re declaring my oat bran love. I don’t think I would have tried it if it weren’t for you!
I’m still on the hunt for raw honey but I have miso now, so this recipe may get tried soon!

Justine September 28, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Eating oats? I have never had miso. I want it so bad but always forget to pick it up when I out that way!! That bowl looks very interesting…cant say that I will be trying it any time soon…haha!

~Justine

Shelby September 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I will defintely be trying that bowl of oats! YUM!

Reigne September 28, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Tahini and honey is a pretty classic combo, but tahini, honey and miso? That, I have to try. I’ve always been a little reluctant to try savoury or blended oats but Heather, I think you have won me over… I’m just wondering… would tahini, honey and maybe banana make a good icecream combo?

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Reigne, Tahini, honey, and banana ice-cream? YES, trust me, it’s good. :)

Tyler September 28, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I don’t know Heather…I love tahini in hummus, but on pancakes? in oatmeal? and to your response above, on banana ice cream?! You’re killing me! I’ll admit that I am skeptical, but your excitement for adventurous meals is contagious and makes me want to step out of my flavor comfort zone and try something crazy! I’m going to read the rest of your tahini week posts, and then maybe I’ll give this a try ;)

Tina September 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I can’t have tahini in my house, same thing as peanutbutter… it’s dangerous = I eat it like from the jar :P

But it sure is good stuff!

I would have never thought to make oats savoury actually, but the asian-fusion oats thing sounds pretty appealing :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope September 28, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Hi Heather,
I’ve been a reader for awhile, but not much of a commenter! Love your blog:)
I know you’re really into yoga, so I thought you might be interested in reading about my 31-day yoga challenge starting October 1st!

eatingmachine September 28, 2009 at 5:20 pm

i keep staring at the tahini in our fridge thinking it could probably go in things besides hummus… keep up with these ideas! i’ve got a whole jar :-)

psychoj1 September 28, 2009 at 6:26 pm

That definitely sounds different! But I would still try it! I trust you :D
<3 jess

Erika September 28, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I would have never thought of that combination in oats, but always try something at least once, right? The oat groats look interesting!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels September 28, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Heather – you are very experimental, I’m a scaredy cat!

Erin September 28, 2009 at 7:10 pm

MMMM looks glorious Heather. I love the idea of investing a good amount of time to prep a meal. You know?
P.S. Try dipping dried fruit in tahini. Esp figs. Ooh whee!

Michal September 28, 2009 at 7:19 pm

mmm sounds tasty! i make a similar recipe which i adore : )
hope you had a great monday

Ozlen September 28, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 5:45 am

Ozlen, OK, so no tahini in your oats, but did you ever try the oatgurt?

Julia September 28, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Tahini in oats…who woulda thunk it?

WholeBodyLove September 29, 2009 at 12:21 am

Honestly, I have little patience for grains that require long cooking times. So, I will probably stick with my old-fashoned and steel cut oats ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 5:44 am

WholeBodyLove, The oat groats only took about 5 minutes to cook on the stove-top…not long at all.

Lori September 29, 2009 at 6:28 am

I have not tried tahini in oats… sounds intriguing. I do love my tahini though. I love it as salad dressings. Yeah I was not too impress with oat groats. Though I stay away from all oats due to gluten sensitives. I bet it would with quinoa though.

Scott in Ohio September 29, 2009 at 11:10 am

H,

Had “Asian Fusion” oatgurt this morning!

I was a little hesitant with the miso but went for it and actually wound up putting 2 tsp in the bowl.

Fantastic!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 11:13 am

Scott, So glad you tried it. I was floored by how good it was. I think the thought of miso in oats scared a lot of folks, but the miso-honey-tahini combo is really delicious.

Jess October 2, 2009 at 2:21 am

I love miso, so this was easy for me. I loved the oats technique, it had the creaminess of oat bran with a little bit of grittiness that I loved. I’m still not huge on tahini by itself though. I always find it rather bitter? Still, fabulous bowl of oats. I’m already craving another.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 4:40 am

Jess, So glad you tried it. I love this combo!

Hanna M. October 2, 2009 at 6:58 am

Did you mix the holy tahini trinity into the oats or was it a topping? ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 7:01 am

Hanna,I mixed the honey and miso in, and topped with the tahini. Let me know what you think if you try it.

{ 5 trackbacks }