Dressing Experiments

by HEAB on September 29, 2009

In continuing with my tahini theme, I wanted to share some homemade salad dressings with you.

First I tried keeping it very basic.

Stir-fry veggies with tahini dressing and roasted butternut squash.

Stir-fry veggies with tahini dressing and roasted butternut squash.

I simply mixed 1 TBSP tahini with the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 packet of stevia, and a little water.  It was tasty, but needed something more.

Next attempt…

Served over curried meatballs for CD.

Served over curried meatballs for CD.

Served over roasted tempeh for me.

Served over roasted tempeh for me.

For this dressing, I used my original recipe, but doubled it for 2 and added about 1/2 TBSP miso paste.  Better, but still missing something.

Then yesterday, I received an email from Jordan over at Cleaning It Up with a tahini dressing she recently made.  When I arrived home from work at 7:30 last night, I quickly whipped up Jordan’s amazing recipe:

• 2 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1 tsp rice vinegar
  • 1-2 TBSP tahini
  • 1 tsp miso paste
  • 1 tsp raw honey
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp guar gum

Stirred it all together, and by 7:45, I was in salad heaven.

Spinach, roasted tempeh, avocado, walnuts, & my new favorite salad dressing..

Spinach, roasted tempeh, avocado, walnuts, & my new favorite salad dressing.

The raw honey works so much better than the stevia, and although y’all know I’m not a big fan of added sugars, 1 tsp. is not a big deal.  Plus, the addition of toasted sesame oil and rice vinegar provides so much flavor, and I loved how just a pinch of guar gum makes the dressing nice and thick. Thanks again Jordan – this is seriously the best tasting dressing I’ve ever made.

What about you?  Do you make your own salad dressing?  If you had to use a store bought brand, which would it be? My favorite will always be Annie’s Goddess…but for now, I’ll be making my own. :)

Tomorrow’s tahini post has a dessert theme.  Any guesses?

Jessica September 29, 2009 at 9:11 am

Thanks for this! I’m always looking for new dressings because I am not a big dressing fan…especially store-bought ones.

jacobc September 29, 2009 at 9:20 am

I rarely eat any raw veggies, jake has to have his food cooked ;-)
So i don’t to salad dressings.. Plenty of toppings for cooked veggies though, honey on kabocha, cheese on anything, PB on some stuff, etc.
I guess soy sauce is the closest i get to salad dressing, goes good on broc/cauliflower/carrot mix.

I’m guessing dessert will involve some chocolate ;-p

Congrats to CD on his (yet another) win sat!

Amanda September 29, 2009 at 9:27 am

Yum! That sounds so great! My fav dressing at the moment is Ken’s Light Sweet Vidalia Onion. It’s prob not the best choice health-wise, but I am in love!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 29, 2009 at 9:27 am

100% I make my own dressings my dear. And in fact, about 4-5 days ago posted a recipe to what I called Herbalicious Dressing which in my opinion tastes very much like Annie’s Goddess dressing. I actually love sweeter dressings and so I like my agave + OJ combo’s that I whip up or my Thai-Inspired Peanut one is my current fave. All my dressings are gluten, soy, dairy, egg free (and well, vegan) b/c I can’t eat those things due to health issues. And try to find a store bought that doesnt have those? It’s nearly impossible so I make all my own and it’s better that way anyway cuz I get to tweak the flavors just how I likey them :)

Thanks for all the love and support, you’re a wonderful friend Heather :)

xoxo
averie

Jordan September 29, 2009 at 9:30 am

If you are making tahini ice cream I will drop what I’m doing and go buy an ice cream maker immediately! :)

brandi September 29, 2009 at 9:39 am

are you making tahini ice cream?!? I bet you are.

Peace and Peanutbutter September 29, 2009 at 9:42 am

Will is be Halva???

Looks great heather, thanks for the recipe!

I’m a big fan of Annie’s dressing, especially Honey Dijon. My Staples are Old Cape Cod brand Balsalmic and Wasabi Ginger :-)

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) September 29, 2009 at 9:43 am

Love me some Annie’s Goddess dressing, in fact I brought some with me to work today. I’ll have to experiment with tahini, I like the flavor but always add too much to my hummus making it a little too bitter. This homemade dressing sounds great!

Question – my boyfriend can’t have any sugar so the honey is out, but do you think the stevia would be an ok subsitute? Thanks HEAB!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 11:00 am

Chloe, Not quite as good as honey, but the stevia will work. :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

YUM!!! Thanks for the recipe :)
BTW, the nutzzo is AWESOME!!!

Erica September 29, 2009 at 9:50 am

Fabulous! Glad you found a combo that works. So I don’t think I can get over the tempeh texture…I’m totally bummed.

You know I’m a salsa=salad dressing kind of lover :)

missyrayn September 29, 2009 at 9:52 am

I love making my own dressing with hummus, rice vinegar, avocado and some olive oil. So delicious. It coats everything and I love it. In fact I’m putting it on some spinach with a chicken burger and veggies this afternoon for lunch.

If I buy dressing (very rare) I like the Annie’s goddess too. I haven’t bought dressing in a long time. I also like the roasted red pepper dressing at WF but I’ve never bought any to take home. I only put it on my salad creations at the salad bar.

I’m thinking some sort of truffles with Tahini.

Evan Thomas September 29, 2009 at 10:02 am

That does sound like a great dressing. I like making yogurt based ones myself when I’m in the mood. I once mixed about 2 tbsp yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon agave, lemon zest, salt, and garlic, and it went nice over a raspberry goat cheese salad

Tiffany S. September 29, 2009 at 10:08 am

I just usually make Flax oil with apple cider vinegar and herbs.

I learned the hard way that if you leave a bottle of tahini in your pantry for like 8 months, it becomes fetid wall spackle. Doesn’t sound like that’s gonna happen in your house.

I was gonna guess pudding but since you’ve been on an ice cream rampage I think those are good guesses. Tahini “butter” pecan ice cream? Tahini cheesecake with mandarin oranges arranged like little pinwheels on top?

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) September 29, 2009 at 10:14 am

Ah yes, Guar gum appears again! Love that stuff.

My homemade dressing is a variation each time. Garlic, shallots, white balsamic and EVOO. That’s one. My asian one is garlic, ginger, sesame oil (my favvve) and unsweetened rice wine vinegar.

yours looks so yummy- I will make that some day for sure! Thanks Heabers!
D

maren September 29, 2009 at 10:51 am

i looveeee tahini lately too!! annie’s goddess dressing is good, but annie’s woodstock is another tahini based one that is delicious as well!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 29, 2009 at 11:05 am

I think I already told you this, and I’m sure its in my FB note, but still obsessed with Dreena’s Sesame Tahini Dressing. OBSESSED. I haven’t had hummus in days. It’s THAT serious.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 11:11 am

Sarah, No hummus in days?!? I’ll be your best friend if you’ll send me the recipe. :) Love, H.

Scott in Ohio September 29, 2009 at 11:08 am

Awesome homemade dressing…so much better than store-bought.

For dessert…I’m going to guess some sort of ice cream :-)

Devan Geselle N September 29, 2009 at 11:11 am

gah! i love all these tahini/miso flavors you are whipping up!!

i made your asian oats, using bulger. AMAZING!! <3 thanks heather :)

Meredith September 29, 2009 at 11:40 am

I love tahini! Keep us posted on your dressing experiments :)

Naomi September 29, 2009 at 11:54 am

hmm tahini icecream?? i bet taht would be good!!

you are so creative anything you come up with will be awesome!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) September 29, 2009 at 12:28 pm

PERFECT TIMING! Tahini has been on my mind like fo-evah it seems, and I don’t know why I haven’t picked any up yet, but I keep ordering tahini-flavored dressings at restaurants and it’s just the best thing ever. So of course I get to thinking I need to make some at home, and HEAB comes through with a recipe for me. Now THAT’s service. ;)

This sounds great! I’m loving the tahini theme – since my brain is fixated on it, I will take advantage of all your tahini usages!

glidingcalm September 29, 2009 at 1:02 pm

OOO NICE! i gotta make me some of that and suck-up that dont-wana-buy-miso-cause-it-wont-get-eaten thing.

love you heaaaaaaaaaaab!
HERE WE GO TEMPEH HERE WE GO! rah rah!

Kelli September 29, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Thanks for the Tahini recipies! About two weeks ago I bought some because I finally located it at the store. But then I got lazy and have yet to lookup any recipes. Thanks again!

Shelby September 29, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I love these recipes! I’m so excited to buy tahini now :)

My favorite dressing was Annie’s Goddess too, but for some odd reason it made me break out so I stopped using it.

Reigne September 29, 2009 at 3:16 pm

That’s it Heather. I’m breaking out of the house and to go buy myself some tahini right now! (As if.) :s

Those salads look delish! How do you roast the tempeh? What does it taste like? (Is the texture “meaty”?)

Oh, and my favourite dressing is usually just hummus diluted down with olive oil, and some spices added (cumin, tumeric, curry powder, coriander….) Very yummy, and goes with almost anything.

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Reigne, I love love love tempeh – so much better than tofu in my opinion. It’s chewy and kind of nutty tasting. I like to cover mine in Braggs and roast it in a 400 degree oven for 20 or so minutes. Try it. :)

Simply Life September 29, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Oooh those sound great!

buffmuffy September 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm

argh i keep saying how i need to try tempeh and tofu … but i just forget and don’t! i go to the store and attempt to look at it, but all i ever see is big white blocks. any suggestions? lol.
-muffy

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 29, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Muffy, I don’t eat tofu as it bothers my stomach, but tempeh does not bother me – something about it being fermented. Makes the proteins easier to digest. Anyway, I love tempeh, and I think it tastes so much better than tofu. It’s not mushy – chewy & kind of nutty tasting. Just marinate it in your favorite herbs/spices/sauces and roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Delicious!

Lori September 29, 2009 at 5:57 pm

You are just like me when experimenting with dressings. I like to keep them simple as well. I have done a few really good salad dressings though I never seem to write them done. Though I am working on that and when I do create some good ones I will share with you. I typically always make my own – I haven’t bought one from the store in so long so I can’t recommend any. Sorry.

Bekah September 29, 2009 at 5:59 pm

olive oil, lemon juice, dijon, and raw honey.
perfection in its most simple form. (i usually use this when i’m making tuna salad, just mix it all up with the tuna, instead of normal mayo. blech.)

great post heab! love me some tahini (yeah, hummus obsessor over here too.)

Jenny September 29, 2009 at 6:04 pm

pleaseeee tell me your making tahini ice cream :) that’ll make the happiest chick everr!

Melissa S. September 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I love annies dressings…and i’ve always been afraid to make my own! eep!

runningmind September 29, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I have a current obsession with a mixing tahini, balsamic vinegar, a few dashes of hot sauce, and a dash of sea salt and pepper. Simple.Delicious…On.Everything.

I can’t wait to see what your tahini dessert is. Could it be tahini raisin run ice cream? Or possibly oatmeal raisin tahini cookies? For some reason raisins and tahini just seem like they were made for each other.

Dara September 29, 2009 at 8:55 pm

halva?! if so, watch when you boil the sugar!!!!!! i ruined my stove trying to make halva:(

I love love love making salad dressings!! it is a creative passion of mine! Annie’s is for sure a fav of mine! Also, i love buying raw dressings at my local raw food cafe:)

broccolihut September 29, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Ooh! You’ve got my creative tahini juices flowing. Must experiment ASAP.
Could the dessert be something along the lines of banana soft serve with tahini?

Becky September 29, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Yum thanks for sharing! I put some tahini on my toast tonight, thinking of you (not in a creepy way!) and it was way good. :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels September 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm

You salad pic reminds me I haven’t eaten avacado lately, silly me!

WholeBodyLove September 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm

I like Bolthouse Farms Organic Dressings. They are made from a yogurt base and I love their creamy texture!

MizFit September 30, 2009 at 4:57 am

I laugh that people think its a health thing (it isnt. life long) but I can not stand salad dressings.

I have eaten it one time.

In africa.

In a person’s home whom I would never have wanted to offend.

gagged that stuff lovingly and respectfully down :)

fartygirl September 30, 2009 at 5:30 am

Annie’s Woodstock dressing clotheslines the Goddess any day… it’s tomato and tahini, so you should lurve it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 30, 2009 at 6:01 am

Anney, I do love the Woodstock, but I haven’t had it in so long. Thanks for the reminder!

VeggieGirl September 30, 2009 at 6:06 am

Incredible dressing creations and dishes!!

Will the dessert today be butternut-tahini ice cream?? :-D

livingfreeforever September 30, 2009 at 6:45 am

I have been on the look-out for a good dressing recipe AND, I just bought more tempeh yesterday! Hmmm, wonder what I’ll be having for dinner?:)

CaSaundra September 30, 2009 at 6:51 am

Isn’t it great how just a few ingredients can make something soo good?! I have experimented w/homemade dressings and will make them for holidays and such, but for just me, I am a bottled salad dressing girl :-) Light Italian please!

Heather September 30, 2009 at 7:06 am

Tahini dressings are my favorite. Annie’s/TJ’s goddess is the only bottled dressing I will ever use, but try to make my own to save on cost. I’ll have to try that one ASAP. I normally make my own and just throw some tahini, water, lemon juice, green onion, salt and roasted garlic together for a whizz and make a super garlicky dressing. I think I might copy that salad and have one for lunch or dinner because it looks oh so good.

hayleycepeda September 30, 2009 at 7:10 am

So far this morning I’ve read Gena’s blog, Diana’s, and yours and already I have 3 new recipes saved. This look aaaawesome!!! I am seriously contemplating trying your tahini oats today. I’ll let you know! :)

Hmmm…tahini ice cream??

Nicole September 30, 2009 at 7:26 am

Frozen banana ice cream with a hint of tahini…? If you haven’t tried it.. you should… AMAZING!! That used to be my go-to… you can make raw choc. chip cookie dough using raw caccao nibs, ground golden flax and tahini mixed together with a touch of vanilla extract, agave and sea salt… stevia tastes a little gross… (i’ve tried it). I love your tahini recipes by the way!! Thanks Heather = )

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 30, 2009 at 9:33 am

Nicole,I just posted a tahini ice-cream with bananas on top, but next time, I’ll make banana ice-cream with tahini on top. :) The raw cookie dough sounds amazing. I’m so making that tonight as I have all the ingredients. I’m thinking raw cookie dough chunks IN my banana ice-cream with a touch of tahini. Thanks for the idea!

justine September 30, 2009 at 8:49 am

Heabers, you must remind me to pick up some miso next time I am out that way!! Had fun last night! Did CD like his gift?

Love,
Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 30, 2009 at 9:37 am

Justine,CD was so happy about his gift. In fact, I just went to Whole Foods to get his kombucha. It’s on sale right now for $3. I should have stocked up, but I just got the one. I was a good girl, and stuck to my list. :)

Melissa September 30, 2009 at 8:51 am

Since I trevel so much…it’s hard to stick with just one dressing (store bought) or homemade as the ingredients and taste vary so much fro country to country…so in an effort to make things SIMPLE and fun b/c it always tastes al ittle bit different…I take a local store bought hummus, asdd lemon juice to thin it out for dressing, al ttle stevia and (if you prefer, a little garlic for a kick). It is soooooooooooo easy and lowfat and tasty and can be replicated ANYWHERE!!!!
(Most hummus has tahini in it already so there ya go :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter September 30, 2009 at 9:35 am

Melissa,I do that exact same thing with hummus, but I add a dollop of mustard. So good tossed with stir-fry veggies. I posted about it here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/09/01/my-evil-sweet-tooth/. Great minds think alike. ;)

elise September 30, 2009 at 8:19 pm

man oh man. i need to get me a huge new jar of tahini yum yum…dare i say it may just replace my hummus obsesh. no no no…lets not get carried away ;)

{ 4 trackbacks }