I Joined The Band

by HEAB on October 1, 2009

I’ve been meaning to join Katie’s Banana Butter Band for a while now. Well Katie, I am now an official member.  Using your brilliant Banana Butter recipe, guess what I made?

Roasted kabocha dipped in Tahini Banana Butter.

Roasted kabocha dipped in Tahini Banana Butter.

So easy my friends – YOU MUST MAKE THIS.  Because my store was all out of raw tahini, I bought a jar of roasted/salted, and it added so much flavor to the Banana Butter.  Thanks Katie! :)

I did take a break from all my tahini-lovin to dine with this group of lovely girls.

Had a blast my friends.  We need to do girls night more often!

Had a blast my friends. We need to do girls night more often!

From left to right: Kim, Me, Justine, Amanda, and Mandy.  We went to Calypso Cafe, and I forgot my camera.  Oh well, food wasn’t too exciting, but it was so nice to get in some girly talk…no offense CD. ;) Afterwards, I had a run-in with a little big cup ‘o dairy. Yep, I ate frozen yogurt.  Had to test out Nashville’s newest fro-yo establishment, Tasti D’Lite.  Three words to describe my experience there: Latte, Peanut Butter Cake, Swirl.  OK, so that’s 5 words, but whatever. It was good!

Devan and Scott have both tried my Asian Fusion Oats. Still scared?  Don’t be!

In Katie style, I shall leave you with my Tahini Covered Meal of the Day:

IMG_3247Roasted veggies covered in my Favorite Tahini Dressing with a piece of Ezekiel Toast and Tahini Banana Butter.  Oh the brilliance of Katie. Love that girl!

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 1, 2009 at 8:24 am

OMG OMG OMG! Kabocha AND banana butter?! Could it get any better? Oh wait, it can: roasted veggies too! Put that all together with one of my absolute-favorite girls in the world and it seems pretty perfect to me.

It’s so funny how you’re eating my recipe and I’m eating yours :) .

In other news: I really, really should get to the store and buy some tahini so I can whip up all sorts of fun Heather-inspired creations. I also need to get my ice cream maker out before it gets too cold… Although we both know how to eat ice cream in the winter, thanks to those costco heaters, right? :)

I love you so so so much, Heather!! Have a happy Thursday. You just made mine!

Love,
Katie

Katie October 1, 2009 at 9:10 am

Wow. I’m another Katie, and not the one behind this delicious post – but that roasted veggie bowl is exactly what I must now have for dinner tonight. Looks awesome!

…And banana butter. I dunno. I’m willing to give it a shot…

balancejoyanddelicias October 1, 2009 at 9:17 am

mmmm….. so many goodies using tahini!!! I need to try all of them! :D

carolinebee October 1, 2009 at 9:21 am

*tears* i miss fro yo..but exciting that u have a tasti!!I hope the tum was as happy as u were :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 1, 2009 at 11:33 am

Caroline, Tum not happy, but worth every bite. :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 1, 2009 at 9:22 am

I hope you have shares in the Tahini business! hahaha sales must have rocketed since you’ve fallen in love.

Brandi October 1, 2009 at 9:22 am

I need to get on the banana butter train soon, too. Thanks for the reminder :)

what a fun night!

Hope you have a great day Heather!

missyrayn October 1, 2009 at 9:43 am

Oh my that looks decedant!

The Foodie Diaries October 1, 2009 at 9:54 am

That meal looks divine… I need to think up an instrument to specialize in, and then I will, too, join ze camp :)

Evan Thomas October 1, 2009 at 10:07 am

Lol I did not think you’d be able to find yet another use for tahini but I was very wrong

Jessica October 1, 2009 at 10:09 am

Ohmigoodness that spread looks amazing! Yum!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 1, 2009 at 10:16 am

I’ve still yet to find a whole kabocha at the store…maybe they’re just not here yet?
I had some in my tempura last night and it was so FANTASTIC!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 1, 2009 at 10:18 am

Looks like a rockin’ good time with the girls! I need wayyyyyy more girls nights out, or girls lunches out! Looks like such fun!

I have made Katie’s nanna brulee but not her nanna butter. I need to get on that, pronto!

So when you made your tahini butter was it just a banana and tahini or did you include the AB, banana, and tahini? I’m gathering it was AB, too. And knowing you, duh, it had to have had the AB in it. I think I answered my own question :)

xoox
ave

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 1, 2009 at 11:34 am

Averie, Nope, no AB. Just tahini and naner.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 1, 2009 at 10:19 am

I need to find some tahini…it is on my to buy list that just keeps growing :)

VeggieGirl October 1, 2009 at 10:19 am

Love Katie’s recipes!

Maria October 1, 2009 at 10:23 am

Roasted kabocha dipped into banana butter??? You are a genius, Heather :D

Diana October 1, 2009 at 10:44 am

Omg, that looks really really good! :)

Runeatrepeat October 1, 2009 at 11:01 am

Wow! I hadn’t even heard of that. Looks so good!

veganminded October 1, 2009 at 11:35 am

Wow, this looks great!I love tahini, but I would have never thought to mix it with banana. Can’t wait to try this =)

Marissa October 1, 2009 at 11:41 am

You inspired me last night! I got in late and wanted something hot and filling. I steamed some broccoli & cauliflower. Sauteed some zucchini, shallots, and leftover marinara sauce…and added TAHINI. Topped it with the vegan parm and it was SO SATISFYING!

Tahini makes everything better ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 1, 2009 at 11:44 am

Marissa, That sounds like a perfect dinner to me. Marahini. :)

Erica October 1, 2009 at 12:13 pm

banana butter? What a fabulous idea- I want to try it. Cute pic of you and the ladies. AH! I can’t wait for that awesome froyo

Naomi (onefitfoodie) October 1, 2009 at 12:40 pm

first of all banana butter sounds amazing and mixin it with tahini!! wowwza…now THAT sounds double amazing :)

love the pic, you are so pretty!!

Devan Geselle N October 1, 2009 at 12:57 pm

i just had a toung-tahini-gasm
i need to hop on the banana band wagon…
hmmm , maybe apple sauce and tahini? with sweet P..

oh my minds a whirlin!

Melissa October 1, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Oh my- that looks divine! What a great idea! Thanks for inspiration : )

runningmind October 1, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Mmm…sounds good. I just finished off a banana (or two) drizzled with tahini mixed up with agave, vanilla, and a dash of salt. I’m glad to see other people are loving the tahini too. I thought I was crazy for eating it on everything!

Meghann October 1, 2009 at 1:57 pm

noooooo… you switched to the shorten post format in google reader! Go back! Go back!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 1, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Meghann, I was wondering it that would annoy people. Thanks for the feedback – I might switch back. Waiting to see how it goes.

Maggie October 1, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Yay for froyo! I hope your tum was okay with it :)

I haven’t ever eaten kabocha with banana butter, but.. holy yum.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) October 1, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I am loving tahini more and more thanks to your posts this week. As you know (puff puff) I made something A-Maz-Ing with tahini today that shall be revealed this weekend. OMG why didn’t you apread the sweet sesame sermon sooner sister? Sheesh that’s a lot of S’sssss! :-)

Have a wonderful Thursday!

Shelby October 1, 2009 at 2:54 pm

That butter looks AMAZING!!!! I must “join the band” as well!

Tracy October 1, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Looks so good! Guess what I had for lunch today? Roasted kabocha dipped in banana butter!! Only difference: I used walnut butter, not tahini, but I must try tahini soon. I’ve only ever had tahini in hummus which I love dearly!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 1, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Tracy, Great minds think alike. :)

Shannon October 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm

now i really need to bust my jar of tahini that hides in my fridge…

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl October 1, 2009 at 6:54 pm

That banana butter sounds fantabulous! YUM! I’ll HAVE to try that soon! :-D

Jess October 1, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Oh my goodness that sounds delicious! How do you prepare your butternut squash?
<3 jess
xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 1, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Jess, The squash pictured is kabocha which I prefer to butternut. However, I prepare them both the same way. I cut in half and scoop out seeds. Then place face down on a cutting board and cut into strips – maybe 1/2 to 1 inch thick. I then place the squash strips on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast in a 425 degree oven, usually plain. Sometimes, I drizzle coconut oil, cinnamon, & stevia on top. The kabocha takes about 40 minutes. Butternut takes longer – 45 to 55 minutes, sometimes even an hour. Love my squash! :)

Samantha October 1, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I’m going to make the banana butter tonight! Our AWARE Kids group has a beach clean up on Sunday…I’m taking super charge me cookies and the banana butter sounds perfect to take for dipping them in!

Whole Body Love October 1, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I am so jealous of your new Tasty D’Lite! I wish we had one here!

Steph October 1, 2009 at 9:32 pm

latte and peanut butter cake in the same bowl? sounds good to me :)

Emily October 1, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Aww, love Katie and her banana butter! You are so creative, Heather. I need to try these tahini creations of yours. I especially love the roasted veggie idea with tahini on top. Sounds like a dinner plan to me!

Samantha October 1, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Update: I DID make it…added in some carob powder, cinnamon, and a tiny dash of cayenne. YUM!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 4:42 am

Sam, I love your additions. I’ve got to try that – like Mexican Chocolate Banana Butter. Brilliant!

Tina October 1, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Hmmm.. banana butter… gotta try that… Looks great with kaboocha! And I’m glad you had fun with your girlfriends. It’s funny how even though the “food wasn’t that exciting”, you still had a blast. It just goes to show that sometimes even the most mediocre things can be turned great if in good company ;)

Reigne October 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

I still haven’t managed to buy a jar of Tahini, yet (oh, the shame!) but I did try the original banana butter today. Oh. My. Gosh. I can not describe how good this was….

Latte, peanut butter cake, swirl? Is that all in one flavour? If so, it sounds like the king of all fro-yos.

I’ve spent months trying to find a Kabocha squash… With no luck. Today I found out that it’s called Japanese pumpkin, in Australia, not Kabocha . How stupid am I?

Expect for me to start some Kabocha/Japanese pumpkin lovin’ some time soon!

- Reigne. (The baby health nut.)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 4:44 am

Reigne, The latte and peanut butter cake were 2 different flavors, but I ate them swirled together. Delicious combo.

Yes, Kabocha also goes by Japanese Pumpkin and Buttercup Squash. No worries – most people don’t know that. I should mention it in a post one day. Can’t wait to hear how you like it. :)

lessonstolearn October 2, 2009 at 4:11 am

I need to jump on the band wagon and buy some tahini! I also need to find a kombucha! I love my butternut squash, but I may need to break down and broaden tastes…

livingfreeforever October 2, 2009 at 5:48 am

Oh, I wanna join the band!! I still haven’t made it to the health food store for some tahini. Going TODAY!! Now I have all your lovely recipes to catch up on.

Guess what? My ND said I could start having some pecans!! You know I’m doing the happy dance:) I’m thinking some raw pecan butter sounds just divine!(maybe with some tahini:)
XOXO–Have a fabulous Friday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 6:04 am

Kimberly,I love pecan butter. Never had it raw though. Just roasted – divine. Enjoy. :)

Tina October 2, 2009 at 7:08 am

Mmmm I LOOVE tahini! I may have to pick some up–all your recipes are making me crave it!!

Banana butter? Looks incredible :)

CaSaundra October 2, 2009 at 7:48 am

Yay for joining the band–I need to join ASAP because everytime I see it, I drool :-)

Tracy October 2, 2009 at 8:35 am

Hi Heather, it’s Tracy again! I thought you’d be interested in a change I made to my “walnut banana butter” I had with kabocha yesterday. I halved the amount of banana and replaced it with canned pumpkin. Super-creamy and yummy good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 8:40 am

Tracy,Yes, I’m interested…now if only I could find some canned pumpkin around here! :)

Tracy October 2, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Pumpkin has been hard to find! I just finally found some orgainc pumpkin at Whole Foods this week. Good luck!

Jess October 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Banana Butter. I cannot think of two things better swirled together. In my oatmeal, especially. Thanks for the yummy tip! Hope all is well in TN!