Savory Tahini Meals For Everyone

by HEAB on October 2, 2009

This week, CD and I have been enjoying many dinners involving my beloved tahini.

CD’s favorite was the Tahini Meatloaf:

Meatloaf with a Middle Eastern kick.

Meatloaf with a Middle Eastern kick.

Click HERE for the recipe.

Next up was Tahini Baked Salmon:

IMG_3249This one was super simple. I simply topped some wild Alaskan salmon with tahini and a drizzle of raw honey before baking it in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Last but not least for all my vegan gluten-free kiddos…

Tahini Falafels with hummus.

Tahini Falafels with hummus.

A big thank you to Meghan for this delicious recipe. Using her Chickpea and Vegetable Falafel Bread recipe, I made some yummy homemade chickpea patties. I used canned chickpeas, and subbed 2 TBSP tahini for the olive oil.  For the veggies, I used 1 chopped onion, 1 orange bell pepper, 1 zucchini squash, and some leftover steamed broccoli.  Veggie packed and delicious.

Tahini week is almost over.  So happy to hear that many of you have grabbed that tahini jar from the back of your fridge and indulged in some sesame seed love. For the rest of you, what are you waiting for? ;)

VeggieGirl October 2, 2009 at 7:38 am

New blog name: Heather Eats Tahini ;)

Jessica October 2, 2009 at 7:39 am

I really want to try the salmon!!

brandi October 2, 2009 at 7:41 am

that tahini salmon sounds so good, and so simple. I guess I’ll need to buy some soon, huh? :)

Evan Thomas October 2, 2009 at 7:43 am

I could totally go for the tahini salmon. Well, I could go for any salmon, but that one sounds especially good :-)

Jordan October 2, 2009 at 7:50 am

That meatloaf is on the to-make list. Falafel too. The tahini days continue in Baltimore :)

justine October 2, 2009 at 7:57 am

YuM!! You have been cooking up a storm Heabs!! Where did you get the salmon?

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 8:00 am

Justine, Coscto. Cheapest place I can find it.

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) October 2, 2009 at 8:02 am

Those look so great. I love to bits when people take my recipes and make them amazing.

MelissaNibbles October 2, 2009 at 8:03 am

The salmon looks divine!

Erica October 2, 2009 at 8:07 am

Fun week of tahini eats! I’m glad CD enjoyed them too. Those brussels look awesome. I haven’t had some in a while…I may cook up a bag for a snack today- is that odd?

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 2, 2009 at 8:25 am

Seriously, must buy tahini! Must get to Whole Foods… having withdrawals!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 2, 2009 at 8:28 am

Wow….your salmon looks amazing. And I’m vegan :) LOL. Ya know, I craved salmon when I was pregnant and ate it all the time and ever since having the lil one 3 yrs ago I never want it but if I am ever tempted, I may just go hog wild with the honey and tahini. Nice goin’ you’ve got a vegan tempted :) LOL And the little falafel balls and brussel’s look really yum too!

The Foodie Diaries October 2, 2009 at 8:37 am

I think those falafel balls are THE new balls in town. they look glorious. can’t wait to check out meghan’s recipe

Abby October 2, 2009 at 8:55 am

Tahini Falafels.. yup, look super amazing. Props to you for finding more usses for good ol tahini besides hummus!! Great ideas :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) October 2, 2009 at 9:12 am

LOL someone said new title “heather eats tahini” love it hahahaa

that meatloaf looks great though! so creative in finding new and unique ways to use it!;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 2, 2009 at 9:15 am

I am changing your nickname from HEAB to TaHEABie.

I made the tahini dressing for dinner last night and it was FAAAAABulous! Oh man. Haven’t posted it yet, but yeah it was great and I hope to try the Asian oats soon too. The tahini addition to banana butter was a stroke of genius, I might add. I’ve made it with banana + almond pulp (from making almond milk) + cinnamon + vanilla extract, and it was great – more like a paste than a butter. But I think I know what I’ll do with my next batch of almond milk pulp!

Thanks HEAB. You know I HEAB you. I mean heart you.

Kristen October 2, 2009 at 9:22 am

Hi Heather!

I am loving your tahini week! I have been quite the tahini fan for a while. One of my fav dressings is super simple and SO good. This recipe is an estimation of what I do for my monstrous salads and roasted veggies.

1-2 TBS Tahini
1 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
HOT water – to thin it out to your liking
salt
A lot of – red pepper flakes
A lot of – garlic powder

I just dump it all into a bowl and stir and taste until I have it right. I LOVE it! Let me know what you think.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for the recipe Kristen. I’ll try it tonight. :)

Chelsea October 2, 2009 at 9:35 am

We actually have a container of tahini in the back of the fridge from the last time I made hummus. We’ll definitely have to try the salmon.

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 2, 2009 at 9:51 am

Those felafels have “ME” written all over them. Thanks for the idea!

Lisa October 2, 2009 at 10:03 am

Wow, I think I was drooling looking at your tahini salmon! Amazing!

Kristen October 2, 2009 at 10:39 am

Tahini is the new almond butter! Kinda… :-D I love all these fabulous suggestions!

I’ve heard that drizzling kale with tahini and cayenne prior to baking makes a mean kale chip!

livingfreeforever October 2, 2009 at 10:42 am

Holy Falafel’s!! I made falafel balls once and loved them! I had forgotten all about them!

I think I’m going to rig up some kind of tempeh soup tonight.Keep your fingers crossed:) Maybe I’ll throw some tahini in for good measure.

I like the suggestion by Diana–TaHEABie:) CUTE!

peaceandpeanutbutter October 2, 2009 at 11:00 am

Sorry Heather, no time to comment…I’m running out to grab a jar of Tahini ;-)

fartygirl October 2, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Very creative, as usual! And Meghan T kicks ass.

fartygirl October 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Btw you can make that same chickpea bread much quickly in a pan on the stovetop. Mix the same spices with chickpea flour and a little H20. Pour like a pancake onto an oiled pan. Flip it. Scoop it out. Wrap it around some veggies. Bangin’. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 2, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Fartygirl…falafel pancakes…I love you. :)

caronae October 2, 2009 at 2:01 pm

mmm…that salmon sounds especially good!

elise October 2, 2009 at 2:53 pm

yeah im thinking VG is onto something. you should either rename your blog: heather eats tahini, or…elise eats heathers food.

Gina October 2, 2009 at 3:04 pm

My husband LOVES falafel, that sounds like an awesome way for me to break open my jar of tahini!

veggiebooty October 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Oh my. Those Falafel cakes look amazingly delicious! Well done, Heather!

Adi (oatonomy.com) October 2, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Seriously Heather, you make some crazy stuff – and crazy in a good way! You’re definitely not short on new ideas with new foods! It’s awesome.

I think my roommate has a jar of tahini in the fridge that’s about the size of my head. That could make lots of tahini meat loaf…

balanceinbites October 2, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Mmmmm, salmon! That looks fantastic. =)

Nice blog, by the way!

Becky October 2, 2009 at 6:16 pm

You are so creative! I would never have thought to incorporate tahini in all those recipes! Those falafels look so good, I must try. First I must replenish the tahini supply! Have a great weekend :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) October 2, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I love that you want to use it up and come up with such different recipes with the same ingredient. I hate buying specialty ingredients and not being able to use it all.

The Liberate Homemaker October 2, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Wow! I can’t wait to try the Falafel! Your pictures of so many brussel sprouts got me craving them this week. So, I bought a bunch and sauteed them in olive oil and garlic. Yay brussel sprouts and tahini!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 2, 2009 at 8:00 pm

OK genius idea subbing tahini for oil. I always end up saying genius on your comments section- no kidding!

Nicole October 2, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Wow! Where have I been? Whenever I think if tahini, I just think hummus. I love all your unique creations. You are freakin’ awesome! I gotta try all those – especially the falafel, my new found love. Great blog! Have a great weekend :)

Whole Body Love October 3, 2009 at 12:21 am

Confession: I have never had Tahini! Does it take on other flavors fairly well or is it dominate?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 3, 2009 at 7:22 am

Whole Body Love,The tahini flavor is pretty strong, but not naturally sweet like some other nut butters. Kind of bitter, and that’s why I always mix a little honey with it. It’s what gives hummus that kick. Many people don’t like it on its own (I do), but it adds so much to recipes. You should try it. Tahini + a little honey + Ezekiel toast or Manna bread = heaven. Try it. :)

Shelby October 3, 2009 at 5:53 am

I’m totally going to pick up some tahini today!

Tina October 3, 2009 at 8:15 am

Ah I LOVE salmon. It reminds me so much of home. I’ve never thought of putting tahini on it, but I’ll definitely need to give that a try.

MarathonVal October 3, 2009 at 9:24 am

I don’t eat fish anymore, but I have to give you props for your tahini salmon dressing! That sounds awesome!

{ 3 trackbacks }