Tahini Week Wrap-Up

by HEAB on October 3, 2009

Now that I’ve plowed my way through 2 jars of tahini in one week, are all of you convinced that tahini is so much more than simply an ingredient in your hummus?

If not, a few reminders:

Many of you have shared your tahini adventures with me as well. Diana is tweeting about the greatness of Lemisoni Dressing. Marissa added some tahini to her marinara sauce…Marihini anyone? Sarah tells me that all this time, it was really the tahini…not the hummus that she truly loves. What about you? Are you lovin on some tahini yet?

Smoothie Girl Deb sure is. Click HERE to read all about her latest tahini smoothie creation. Speaking of Deb, look what she sent me and CD.

Homemade Pecan Nut Butter and Pumpkin Pie Almond Butter.

Homemade Pecan Nut Butter and Pumpkin Pie Almond Butter.

Deb, you have truly outdone yourself with this batch. Check out the ingredients in her Pumpkin Pie Almond Butter: organic almonds, pinch of olive oil, sprinkle of stevia and salt, pumpkin pie spice, maple powder. It’s perfect! Thank you so much, and it arrived just in time because…

All gone.

All gone.

I just finished the last of my tahini with a batch of Asian Fusion Oatmeal in The Jar. ;)

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 3, 2009 at 11:45 am

Just thought I’d let you know that I used our man Jay today. He went into my banana butter for some chocolatey action. Only thing better than pb and banana is CHOCOLATE, pb, and banana.

I can’t thank you enough for sharing his hotness with me.

Oh, and I also was inspired by your banana butter-kabocha picture to actually blend kabocha into banana butter! It was so good that I had to change my original banana butter post to add it in as a variation. You’re so smart, Miss Heather :)

Love ya!

VeggieGirl October 3, 2009 at 11:46 am

Awesome tahini wrap-up and package from Deb!!

The Foodie Diaries October 3, 2009 at 11:49 am

I so wish I had that jar (full, of course) in my possession right now. Because I am hangry. And suddenly I don’t think hummus is gonna cut it for my afternoon snackie. I’m feeling a bit under the weather. Do you think if I tell my dad that I’m sick and the only thing I can stomach is hummus, he’ll be a gem and pick some up? ;)

Have a great weekend!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 3, 2009 at 1:06 pm

The Foodie Diaries, I’d say it’s worth a try. :)

Maggie October 3, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Still gotta buy some tahini… I was at the store yesterday but it was so expensive! I have to get it when it’s on sale. Soon, I hope :)

Have a lovely Saturday Heather!

Shelby October 3, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Oh darn! I forgot the tahini today at the store! I’ll just have to go back :)

I love all of your ideas and can’t wait to try them out!

Pumpkin Pie AB!?!?!?!? *swoons*

Evan Thomas October 3, 2009 at 12:45 pm

That pumpkin pie almond butter sounds absolutely artisan

Lauren October 3, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I want to try concocting some pumpkin pie almond butter!

Jess October 3, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Great tahini recipes! I want to try pumpkin pie AB–sounds perfect for fall!
<3 jess
xoxo

Kristen October 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Yay for ingredients for pumpkin pie AB! Do you like walnut butter? I made some recently and I like how easily it spreads.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 3, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Kristen, Walnut butter is one of my favorites. I love making homemade walnut/almond butter. Such a good combo.

lora October 3, 2009 at 2:41 pm

um i need to seriously jump aboard the homemade almond butter train now that i see their is a pumpkin kind!!!

love it. and the tahini fallafel idea :)

xoxo
LO

Ris October 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I can’t wait to go home to my kitchen so I can get in one the tahini-lovin! And those nut butters look A-MAAAA-Zing!

Melissa October 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Don´t stop tahini week ; ) I just can´t get enough of it!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 3, 2009 at 4:07 pm

But what am I going to do with this Costco sized tub of Sabra? Chris was like, “You’re sharing that?!” as I made hummus sandwiches for the fam ;) It just tastes a little off to me now.

Melissa S. October 3, 2009 at 4:48 pm

what a week that was! i loved looking at all the new things you could do with tahini!!!

Colleen Cameron October 3, 2009 at 5:40 pm

mmmmm… Tahnini! Who knew it could be so diverse? I’m definitely going to need those tahini falafels. Yum!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 3, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Ive loved your Tahini Week! Next up should be Tahiti Week. You going to overwater bungalows and exuding their praises. Somehow you may like that even better than tahini I suspect :)

I too was the proud and thankful recipient of a Deb care package and the woman outdid herself with my nut butters too. I blogged about them a couple posts ago…soooo good. Deb if you’re reading this, thanks again :)

Heather enjoy the rest of your weekend!

xoxo

Jessica October 3, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Great wrap up! :)

Bekah October 3, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Gah. I must must must try all of these recipes.
I’m a hummus FANATIC- and you know what? Like you said, maybe its not those little chickpeas I’m digging after all.

And Heather my dear, it literally, calms me down when I hear you go through 4 T of almond butter in a day, and 2 jars of tahini in one week. I think about the 3 jars of nut butters in my fridge that are halfway gone, and goodness, DID I EAT ALL OF THAT, ALL BY MYSELF?

Reading your blog makes me feel a little bit less guilty. So keep up the jarred creamy spread craziness. After all, your names is HEAB. :)

Leah October 4, 2009 at 2:10 am

Thanks for summing up all the recipes here Heather! I’m definitely bookmarking this page!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) October 4, 2009 at 7:25 am

Thanks for the linkage love and you are soooo welcome on the goodies- I KNOW they’ve been adopted by a loving home :-)

HOW WAS the oats in the tahini jar—– dying to know! did you sweeten it??

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 4, 2009 at 7:33 am

Deb,CD is now loving on my kabocha. Guess who will be making numerous trips to the Asian Mkt? Last night he was dipping kabocha fries in your Pumpkin Pie almond butter. He’s my little genius. :)

Yes, I made Asian Fusion oats in the jar, and so it was sweetened with 1 tsp raw honey and there was also 1 tsp miso in the mix. Love that salty/sweet combo!

fartygirl October 4, 2009 at 7:43 am

So true about the hummus. I tried to make it without tahini once. Stupid me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 4, 2009 at 7:48 am

Farty,Trader Joe’s sells a tahini-free hummus. WHY!?! I guess it’s probably for people who are allergic to sesame seeds – poor souls. :(

Tina October 4, 2009 at 9:40 am

So jealous of that almond butter! Sounds so good.
You’ve definitely inspired me to get a jar of tahini and start experimenting!

missyrayn October 4, 2009 at 12:45 pm

The end of a good tasting jar of nut butter is bittersweet. But getting new nutbutters is awesome :-)

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 4, 2009 at 1:06 pm

YUM! That pumpkin pie almond butter looks amazing, I might just have to try and recreate that at home. What an amazing addition to oatmeal that would be!

Tahini is definitely on my shopping list, can’t wait to try out some new concoctions!

glidingcalm October 4, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Oh Mama! Your bloggy jsut brings so much inspiration and culinary creativity into my life!! I aint tryna be cheesey or extra Brown-nose either! I swear! I love the new ideas you give me!!

Hurray for a new fab ingredient!! It is always so fun to see what you create!! We’ve seen almond butter, chia seeds, jay robb, oat groats, squash, broccoli, tahini, oh the list could go on for days!! Love it all.

HAPPY SUNDAY HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Deva (voracious vorilee) October 4, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I love tahini but don’t often pick it up when I’m at the grocery – it’s really good on crackers, stirred into oats… eaten off of a spoon.. YUM!

Elina October 4, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Wow, tahini is quite versatile, isn’t it? I’ve used it in hummus (of course) and some Asian inspired sauce. I’m going to have to try all your lovely recipes. Thanks! :)
Oh and that pumpkin pie ab sounds AMAZING!!

Emma October 4, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Lovin the tahini lovin. Thanks for the inspiration, we used Tahini a lot over the weekend over the other side of the world in Oz! Thanks Heather!

Tiffany S. October 4, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I’m definitely trying the salmon topping and the falafels!

Now where am I gonna find Maple Powder? That ingredient alone could change my life!!! I feel a trip to Vancouver in the making.

Great week, Heabs!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 4, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Tahini Week was a great idea indeed. It was seriously the kick in the butt I needed to go get some! It’s been floating around my brain for the longest time as I dreamt of the tahini dressings in restaurants that I love, so I’m really glad I finally got in on it for myself. Just used up the last of my Lemonsini (Sp?) dressing tonight! That stuff is gooooooood. I made a huge bowl of raw zucchini noodles, soba, arame and tossed it all together with the dressing. Oh and I threw in roasted kabocha chunks too, just to HEAB it out a little, ya know. :D

Gena October 4, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I made an awesome tahini recipe this weekend without even knowing it was tahini week, since I’m so behind on my blogs!!! We must have ESP. It was tahini+almond butter, tons of lemon, salt, dates, and water. Simple, amazing!

Jenna October 4, 2009 at 8:50 pm

pumpkin pie almond butter…yummmmmy!
jenna

courtney October 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

Hi Heather,
I have been reading your blog for quite some time now (by way of Fitnessista, by way of OhSheGlows!) I love all of your post because I can relate to your story in so many ways. I particularly loved today’s post because I feel the same way about the “puffy” look I had before I started doing hot yoga. I am so in love with sweating it out for 90 minutes. I did a power yoga class yesterday, and the vinyasas left my arms so sore this morning! Keep up the great posts, you are a great inspiration!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

Thanks for reading Courtney. My hamstrings are super sore from my hot vinyasa class yesterday. Felt good to walk this morning…*not* run. :) Love, Heather

RunToTheFinish October 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm

what a great week for the tahini and my haven’t we all learned something fun!

Marissa October 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

There has to be something to the Marihini….it tastes soo good!

Brandi October 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Hi Heather! I’ve been reading your blog off and on over the past few months and love how you incorporate variety into your diet! I was an avid runner/weight lifter but recently started going back to school and have been running low on energy (keeping up with my hubby and son) and time (I can’t find time to sleep more than 5 hours per night). As a result, my gym time has been reduced to once per week–I was interested in yoga becasue it may help alleviate some of my stress and still help me maintain my weight loss–I really don’t want to have to diet all over again to maintain it. What is the best way to get started? I have tried one of the free downloads from yogadownload but since I am new, I am having trouble following the guide–any suggestions?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 7:19 am

Brandi, Yoga is great for weight loss maintenance and staying in shape. In fact, it has saved me this past year, and I’ve grown to love my practice. I really recommend getting into a studio if you can just to learn correct form in the beginning. Otherwise, you risk injuring yourself. I never really enjoyed yoga much until I starting taking classes in a studio from a good teacher. However, I know your time is limited, and below are some at-home options. Hope this helps, and thanks for reading my blog. :) Love, Heather

– Polly has some great videos on her *blog*– they are free, short, and she does the poses along with you. – *Here is a link to Sadie Nardini’s 4 part 30 minute power yoga serie**s *that Maggie posted. Love that one! Click *here * to view Maggie’s other links to various yoga sites. She’s got some good ones on there. – I’ve heard good things about *Yoga Today* , but I’ve never tried the site myself. They post new classes everyday, and I hear they are usually a more slow and gentle form of yoga. – – *Sara Ivahoe* * *DVD’s are great. Good instruction, especially for beginners.

{ 3 trackbacks }