A Cardio Update

by HEAB on October 5, 2009

It’s been about 10 months since I quit running, and I wanted to share an exercise update with all of you. I still get emails asking me how I maintain my weight loss with little to no cardio. My answer: I still exercise, but my workouts might look very different from what you’re doing…and that’s okay. You need to do what makes you happy. For me, it’s yoga, a walk with my dogs, maybe some sprint intervals on the stationary bike, or whatever else I feel like doing when I wake up in the morning. I no longer plan out my workouts a week in advance. I dropped my gym membership, and I no longer schedule my day around exercise. However, like Maggie, I do try and incorporate activity into my day when I can, and workouts are much more fun now. :)

Below is what I did last week…If I can remember:

• Monday: 30 minute walk with dogs + 60 minute Hot Power Fusion YogaDownload class.
  • Tuesday: 8 mile easy bike ride + Hour walk with dogs.
  • Wednesday: Hour walk with dogs + 40 minutes of Peanut Butter Flow Yoga.
  • Thursday: 6 mile hilly walk with the dogs.
  • Friday: 90 minute Vinyasa yoga class + Hour walk with dogs.
  • Saturday: I did something I’ve never done before. I went on a run with CD…and managed to keep up with him. He ran. I rode our bike. 13 miles. CD, I loved running with you. :)
  • Sunday: 90 minute hot Vinyasa yoga class.

I didn’t realize how much I walked last week, but it was so beautiful outside. Fall is my favorite season, and if the sun is out, I want to enjoy every minute of it. If it’s raining, I may ride our stationary bike, but otherwise, I’ll just do yoga. So, although I’m not spending hours in the gym, I do stay fairly active. Plus, my job (massage therapy) also has me on my feet a lot.

Here are some before/after photos. I can’t believe I’m posting these, but I thought I’d let the pictures do the talking…

HEAB in college.

Mug shot in college.

Living in London - that's me on the far right.

Living in London - that's me on the far right.

Before Photos

Post weight loss mug shot. Me and my mama. :)

Post weight loss mug shot. Me and my mama.

Post London HEAB.

Post London HEAB.

I lost most of weight with walking and simple at-home workouts, but 90% of the weight loss was due to changes in my diet. Walking eventually turned into running, and after my first 5K I was hooked. There were daily runs before work, anywhere from 3 to 10 miles, and Saturday mornings were reserved for long runs.

Back in my racing days. That's me 2nd from right.

Back in my racing days. That's me 2nd from right.

That's me on the right. First in my age group at a local 5K.

Me on the right again after winning first in my age group at a local 5K.

Looking back, I can’t believe how much my body has changed since I stopped running. Although all those hours out on the roads helped me to stay slim, I was in no way toned, even though I did strength training 2 to 3 days a week. Some like to call it Runner’s Puff, right Polly? ;) Let’s just say I was eating a lot to fuel those runs.

Nothing has done more for my body than yoga…nothing.

IMG_2934Not sure what the point of this particular post actually is. To those of you that love running, I totally get it. I used to love running, and there was nothing like knocking out a 10 miler before 8 AM. However, after 8 years of almost daily runs, I wasn’t in love with the sport anymore, and when running became a chore, I knew it was time to make some changes. My mind and my body are much happier now, but that’s me.

I guess my point is to encourage all of you to stay active. Make your workouts fun, doing activities you enjoy, and remember, you don’t have to kill yourself for hours in the gym to stay in shape. Trust me, you don’t.

OK, I’m off to walk the pooches. Happy Monday!

Abby October 5, 2009 at 6:06 am

Wow, I think I’m first today! Congratulations on your weight loss, Heather. You look amazing and obviously live a truly healthy life! It shows. As for exercise, I am allll about the walking. Nothing better for the bod and the mind! Have a super day :)

jacobc October 5, 2009 at 6:10 am

haha, my ex and I used to do the run/bicycle thing.. How many collisions did yall have? ;-p

Do what you enjoy, i’m sure the pups like the walks to ;-)

Cheers!

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 5, 2009 at 6:11 am

Well, you look absolutely gorgeous, so keep doing what you’re doing!
:) :)

M October 5, 2009 at 6:23 am

Okay, how on earth do you get your hair to look like that? I am in love with those waves!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 6:40 am

M,My hair is naturally wavy and crazy. Some days, it cooperates, and other days it’s a frizzy mess. I usually just comb some leave-in conditioner through it in the shower, and then I don’t comb or brush it again – just scrunch it up with a little mousse and let it air dry.

Yasmin October 5, 2009 at 6:28 am

What an amazing journey and look how strong and healthy you are now! Congrats!

VeggieGirl October 5, 2009 at 6:29 am

Once again, Heather, you are beautiful and wise. So glad that you’re doing what works for you :)

missyrayn October 5, 2009 at 6:39 am

I love that you are doing cardio you love. That’s what counts with sticking with it. I lost most of my weight with just walking on the TM and on hills. I didn’t start running until I was about 15 pounds away from where I wanted to be. I just wanted a new challenge because I was bored with just walking.

But I am loving yoga. The more I read you blog about the different things you do the more I love it. I just bought a Power Yoga DVD that I need to find time to try.
:-)

Jessica October 5, 2009 at 6:39 am

Your body looks incredible! So glad you are doing what works for you and not getting caught up in what everyone else says.

cookingincambridge October 5, 2009 at 6:42 am

So inspiring :)

MelissaNibbles October 5, 2009 at 6:44 am

I think the key to finding happiness in a healthy lifestyle is finding an activity that you enjoy. For some people it’s running, for some it’s the elliptical, and some like kickboxing. I think people put too much pressure on themselves to run X miles a day in order to lose weight or be fit. They aren’t going to stick with it if they aren’t enjoying it. Great post!

hypki October 5, 2009 at 6:49 am

Glad you are doing what you enjoy and that you feel great doing it and are healthy because that is by far the most important thing.
But remember, you say that people are spending hours in the gym, well, doing a 90 minute yoga class and taking and hour walk is spending 2.5 hours on exercise just the same as others who use the gym it’s just a different type of exercise.

Diana October 5, 2009 at 6:53 am

You look amazing! :)
I’ve been thinking about trying yoga. I’m not a runner because of my asthma so I’m trying to find other stuff to keep me healthy. Right now I do some cardio (and by some, I mean, really, just some minutes to warm up) and then I strength train. 3 times a week. I also go to the swimming pool at least once a week just because it’s relaxing and I’ve always loved swimming. :) I only started a couple of weeks ago so not much has changed yet but we’ll see how it goes!
Congratulations on your weight loss and maintenance. People like you are inspiring.

Rosey Rebecca October 5, 2009 at 7:01 am

Love this post!! Your posts are always so inspiring!

Grace Dickinson October 5, 2009 at 7:12 am

Wow, I can totally relate to this post… I used to be literally addicted to running, but it started to wear on me physically. The past few years I started to heavily get into yoga and even became certified as a teacher this past summer. While I still love an occasional good run, yoga makes my body feel outstandingly amazing. You’re before and after pictures are great. Everyone thinks you need to be a running Nazi to lose weight, but yoga can really do wonders for your body- such as lengthening and subtly toning the body, creating a nice, lean physique. It also makes you a lot more mindful of what you eat…nice tahini post by the way, tahini is where it’s at. Anyways, great blog. I also write a fitness blog if you’re ever interested in checking it out–

Kristen @ Simply Savor October 5, 2009 at 7:12 am

i loved this post Heather!! every person is different and sometimes it takes a lot of different tries at different activities to find what works best! it looks like you’ve found a wonderful balance! have a great day :)

charlotte October 5, 2009 at 7:15 am

As always, I’m completely fascinated by this part of your story. You are – with your non-obsessiveness and just enjoying life whilst exercising – is where I’m really struggling to get to. Thank you for providing your yoga sched.! I was curious about that but didn’t want to seem stalkerish and ask;) Are you a member at one studio or do you hop around and take classes wherever?

Right now, being taken off ALL exercise except for walking for the duration of my pregnancy I’m really struggling with finding the right balance. I did do Hatha yoga last Thursday and it felt so good! Although my chaturanga is suffering… the belly hits the floor first;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 9:48 am

Hey Charlotte, I wish I could see your belly – I bet you are gorgeous mama-to-be. :)

I’m a studio junkie – just like I was with my gym membership (I worked out at 3 different Y’s). We live near downtown and Vanderbilt University, and there are several different studios within a few miles of our house. I love visiting them all, and it keeps me from getting bored.

Hope you are feeling well – I’m amazed you even attempted a Chaturanga. Although, one of my yoga teachers recently gave birth to her first child last month and just the week before was demonstrating different ways to do headstands and handstands. I was in awe.

Megan October 5, 2009 at 7:27 am

As per usual, I am loving this post! You routinely hit the nail on the head! Keep it up!

JENNA October 5, 2009 at 7:56 am

You are so beautiful! :) I’m glad you did this post! It reminds everyone you don’t have to go to the gym and sweat/exhaust yourself for over an hour to be healthy and strong(and maintain weight). Youre absolutely right everyone has to do what works for them. And if they are not enjoying what they are doing they need to have the courage to change their routine up.

Jessie October 5, 2009 at 7:57 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I think many people become obsessed with doing cardio because they think it is the only way to lose weight. Cardio is great exercise and good for the heart, but there are so many other beneficial forms of exercise, yoga especially. I have just started to get into yoga, and it is one of the most challenging thins I have ever put my body through. I aspire to one day be able to do that pose in your picture, right now I can’t even hold my leg straight out in front of me! How long did it take before you really got flexible and were able to do some of the more advanced poses?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 9:57 am

Jessie, I’ve been doing yoga off and on for years, but I didn’t really get serious about my practice until this past winter. I began to notice changes in my strength and flexibility almost immediately. One day I was not able to do a certain pose, and the next day, bam, it came so easy. There are still plenty of poses I can’t do, but I’ll get there one day. Practice breathe practice breathe. :)

Lara October 5, 2009 at 7:59 am

Great post and couldn’t agree with you more that weight loss/maintenance is 90% (at least) about diet. I love to workout and be active in general but I have always believed that but even more so now while I am dealing with an injury that has left me unable to workout and turned my active life into a very sedentary one. Weight hasn’t changed at all due to good diet.

justine October 5, 2009 at 8:00 am

Heabers you are beautiful! How was your weekend? We need to go for a walk together soon. Let me know when you wanna get together??

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

Justine, Weekend was good – it got busy. What is your schedule like this week? Maybe a walk or hike one day?

Brandi October 5, 2009 at 8:07 am

I love that you kept up with CD on your bike :) That’s what I would have to do to keep up with Nick running at HIS pace, too!

I’m glad you’ve found what you LOVE and works for you and makes you happy. I agree that being outside in this weather is the best thing ever.

I’m planning a little doggie walk at lunch with the in-laws dog we’re watching. Can’t wait! It’s gorgeous here.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) October 5, 2009 at 8:11 am

I really love seeing all the pics and the update is so helpful. I go through so many phases as each year passes- cycling this year, mountain biking the next, then yoga, then weights, then classes, stair climbing, what ever! Then it kind of cycles through again in spurts! It’s soooo good to know that yoga and walking ARE enough to keep you in shape- if I ever get sick of the gym (it’ll happen!) then I’ve got options! :-D Thanks Heabers for sharing your journey with us.

Tiffany S. October 5, 2009 at 8:15 am

Happy Monday, Heabs!

Look at your beautiful Mama! I don’t think she’s made the blog before! Has she?

Love the post. I’m thinking of getting INTO running so I can say I’ve done it and then give it up – lol.

Way to go embracing the before pictures. I LOVE it when people honor who they were and where they are now. You’ve always been the fabulous Heather, no matter what you weighed. But, of course, you know that.

Peace out!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 10:00 am

Hey Tiffany, My mom has had a few cameo appearances on the blog. We’re really close, but her job has her working down in Florida through December, and I miss her! Hope you had a good weekend. P.S. – I cracked my Vita-Mix with boiling vinegar. :( No worries, a new one is on its way. Thank you 7-year warranty!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 5, 2009 at 8:19 am

Thank you for the honest post, Heather: The photos, the commentary that you werent liking running, and what your workouts look like now. I knew this (cuz I’ve been paying attention to your posts of course :) ) but it’s so awesome of you to post this. I try to keep my yoga and my short runs fresh, and I love going for long walks with my hubs and daughter. My yoga practice is now a decade old and my running practice is 2 decades old. Jeez I must be old :) And I think that challenge in fitness and in life is to keep on keepin’ on and stay inspired along the way. For me, that’s long walks with hubs/daughter and long chats to make it a bit easier :)

Good luck on the coconut milk kefir! Keep me posted how it turns out, that and the kapalabati!

xoxo
ave

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 10:02 am

Averie, I let the kefir ferment in front of my Costco HeatDish. Took a big whiff this morning, and smelled super ripe after 15 hours. So, I stuck it in the fridge. Can’t wait to make a smoothie with it. :)

Evan Thomas October 5, 2009 at 8:19 am

I think that’s a great plan and being active the way you like best is the perfect thing. I genuinely enjoy running on a treadmill with the TV in front of me, which I know a lot of people dread, but it’s what makes me feel great and I’ll keep it up. I also loves pending(a little too much)time in Whole Foods, so if that becomes an exercise so be it :-)

lora October 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

thank you for this awesome post. I think you look beautiful and i am so jealous of your strength! I want to get hooked on yoga but I just havent yet. I think its more intimidation than anything else. Hopefully I can start going to this new studio for local classes :)

xoxo
lo

justrun October 5, 2009 at 8:29 am

“…when running became a chore, I knew it was time to make some changes.” That is exactly why I dialed back my running this year. And it feels so much better do just do what I want, when I want. And to have more time for yoga. :)
And that thing about “runner’s puff” is totally true.

Amanda October 5, 2009 at 8:42 am

Hey Heather! So fun meeting you and the girls the other night!!

I love this post! I’m not much of a runner, but I am a gym/cardio junkie right now. If I ever get tired of my routine, I’ll have to make some adjustments so it’s great to know that you’re staying in shape just by doing yoga and walking… two of my favorite things!

I hope we can all get together for a walk soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 10:03 am

Amanda, Me too – let’s try and walk soon. Loving this Fall weather!

Marcia October 5, 2009 at 8:43 am

I really enjoyed this post. I am going to confess: I am a dabbler.

I am training for a 1/2 marathon right now. My first, and probably my last.

I have been a “runner” off and on. I came in 4th in my age group once. But mostly, I say “runner” because I’m short, stocky, and slow – built more like a sprinter than a distance runner. So I accept that a *GREAT* pace for a 5k for me is an 8:45 mile, and I will be pushing it to try and complete the 1/2 at a 10:00. But I’ve trained for a 10k, then stopped running for months, then come back to it. Right now I run 3x a week because it’s efficient – I have a full time job and a husband and a 3 year old.

What I really love to do is outdoor exercise. Walking and biking are my true loves. I was biking 10 miles to work 2x a week before my schedule changed (now it’s only once). The other day, I’ve added a lunch time walk (I put shoes and socks and a hat in my trunk). My MIL and her best friend were visiting a couple of weekends ago, and I was able to take SEVERAL long walks – 3.5 -5 miles with them and it was such a joy.

So, I dabble. My 39-year old body won’t let me run >3x a week. I run, I walk, I bike. I do try to do a class now and then (step, spin, I like the comraderie). I have never done yoga. I’ve thought about doing yoga. I have several yoga videos on my wish list. I have a yoga mat. Maybe someday…

(I’m a dabbler at work and in my hobbies too…jack of all trades, master of none…)

polly October 5, 2009 at 8:47 am

no more puff!! :)

… unless you are toasting a JET PUFF over a bonfire in the Fall. :D

You KNOW how precious you are to me. Amen and hallelujah and high fives and big hugs.

Love,Pols …the girl who hasn’t gotten her heart rate up unless I see my cute hubby walking my way, in years. The slower you walk, the sweeter. Oh, and chaturangas are so overrated. ;)

polly October 5, 2009 at 8:48 am

p.s. Today’s oat experiment? Bananas and pumpkin. Have you tried that, H? Holy moly it is SO yum. The banana and pumpkin have to be COLD, however and the oats must be HOT. Yes, it was bliss. XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 9:54 am

Polly, sweet Polly. :) Thank you for your awesome comment my former Puffy friend. Cold bananas and cold pumpkin, huh? I’m putting my naner in the fridge right now. Love you!!!!

polly October 5, 2009 at 8:50 am

Since I hardly comment much, thought I’d go for 3 in one day. Forgot to tell you that you are beautiful in all of your photos, as your heart is still Heather’s and THAT is beauty in any size or season. Love you.

Julia October 5, 2009 at 8:50 am

This was such a wonderful and inspiring post to read!! I’ve been lurking on your blog for quite sometime and thought I’d finally get around to posting about how much I love it. :) For me, I find that the more I run, the more I need yoga to stretch out my hamstrings and center my mind. I’ve finally found a nice balance between the two where they compliment each other in my life, instead of each fighting for more attention!!

Thank you for your lovely writings and stories Heather! :)

Erika October 5, 2009 at 8:50 am

You look amazing and I love that you have kept in shape by doing what you truly enjoy. I think the fact that you are so self aware is inspiring and that you allowed yourself to adapt.

Lisa October 5, 2009 at 8:56 am

I found this post truly beautiful, Heather. I relate to a lot of it. Right now, I’m really enjoying running and I’m doing it for myself. But I’m not a natural runner, it doesn’t come easy to me, and I’m willing to except that there will be a time for me to retire it as one of my exercise choices. So far, I’ve loved seeing myself improve, even at something that is very hard for me. But I adore other kinds of exercise too, and love all of your walks! (I’m definitely a walker–if I had the time, I’d probably spend hours just walking and listening to my iPod!

Thanks for this post!

Courtney's Concoctions October 5, 2009 at 9:13 am

I am similar to you…I was a running junkie. Then, after a yoga retreat I took for a run weekend away, I got hooked. Now I have yoga teacher’s training in a few weeks and I happily get up before sunrise for sun salutations. What is it? I like the inner and outer balance – it really feeds a whole person, without purely focusing on the physical. That is freeing!

Carolyn October 5, 2009 at 9:13 am

You’re my Obe-wan!

Fallon October 5, 2009 at 9:23 am

Great post. Thanks for sharing your story. You look wonderful!

Teresa October 5, 2009 at 9:39 am

Ok first- You seriously must have the most fit dogs ever! And they have the best Mama, for you to walk them so much!

I loved this post, and love that you are aware everyone has a different body and different needs in terms of exercise. And it’s great that after years of exercise, you really know what is best for you. I’m definitely still working on that myself. I have a question to ask- Have you ever done pilates, and if so, why do you prefer yoga to pilates? I’m still trying to understand what the differences are and who they are geared towards. Thanks! Awesome post!

GO CD!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 9:52 am

Hey Teresa, I have only taken a few Pilates mat classes at my local Y, but I’ve always wanted to try the Reformer classes as I hear they are amazing and super challenging. I know several women who swear that Pilates has changed their bodies, just like I swear by yoga. Gliding Calm has been doing a lot of Pilates lately, and you might want to check out her blog at http://www.glidingcalm.wordpress.com. Honestly, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Pilates, and I do hope to try out more classes in the future.

carolinebee October 5, 2009 at 9:43 am

I’m a HUGE walker/biker/dancer anything but runner! I love just moving around every day, and I think all the gorgeous different people in blogland prove that every person had diet/exercise/health that works differently for them! I’m sure your pups are verryyy excited about all the walks :D

Laura October 5, 2009 at 9:49 am

I was so needing too read some beautiful lines filled with your bright and insightfull perspectives..!
You really are one girl to admire. Anyone who reads this post will be amazed at the trip you’ve been through and what you’ve acomplished. And I’d bet it’s all just part of the real thing!

I hope I will be able to get a daily routine like yours, when I start working. You make your days sound like they’re full of endleeeess, YUMMY hours! :D

Alisa - Frugal Foodie October 5, 2009 at 10:08 am

You look wonderfully healthy in your yoga pose photo, so I think you are on the right track :)

I “outgrew” running several years ago too, and have even moved on from contact sports … I think fitness is a lifetime evolution that we have to move and flow with in order to enjoy it and enjoy feeling good.

Jenny October 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

I really really love and appreciate this post heather. I have fallen off the cardio train as well and resorted to yoga and pilates and I have never been in better shape! Thank you for dismissing the bad rep that yoga gets for “not being a real work out” pahleaseeeee. I tell these people to Hold a long ukatasana for a good minute – then we’ll talk. ;)

The Foodie Diaries October 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

I love this post, Heather! I also grew to love running but had to stop because of multiple injuries. I think I still love it–but mostly because I’m frustrated that I can’t do it. I guess that’s lust ;)

I’ve only recently discovered yoga, and I completely agree with what you wrote. I’ve never seen my body so defined without doing cardio, and I only started several weeks ago. It’s amazing.

Have a great Monday!

Kimberly@livingfreeforever October 5, 2009 at 10:23 am

Hey HEABS:)
I loved this post! I agree with Polly that you are beautiful (inside and out). It is so refreshing to see someone who KNOWS what works for her.

As you know, I have only been doing yoga for 4 months now, but I can tell SUCH a difference in my arm strength. When I was doing weights, it just didn’t seem to be doing anything except making me more fatigued than I already was. I’m amazed at how yoga is making me so much stronger and at the same time energizing me in a way I have never experienced. Still not strong enough for the wheel:), but I am learning to be patient and listen to my body. I don’t know if you saw my last post so I’ll share some exciting news with you just in case. I get to clean a house every other week in exchange for TWO yoga classes per week!!! How cool is that? Okay, I guess you can tell I’m just a LITTLE into yoga these days:) Love walking too–running, not for me!

If I get to come back to Nashville next year, hopefully I WILL be able to wheel AND headstand with no problemo! Later tator!
XOXO

fartygirl October 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

Hey Dollface! You are so right about the power of WALKING. Three or four summers ago, my mom and I were trying to lose weight. She was walking every other day for an hour. I was on the elliptical for an hour and a half at LEAST four days a week, and swimming every other day. At the end of it all, she had lost 15 pounds. I think I lost five. MAYBE five.

Keep in mind – I was NOT watching my sugar or alcohol intake AT ALL. And I wasn’t digesting food well either.

A lot of people don’t know how important it is to keep your workouts diverse too. I was killing myself at the gym for three years before I heard the term “plateau” and learned what it meant!

Anyway, thanks for spreading the truth! <3

Devan Geselle N October 5, 2009 at 10:24 am

you are beautiful heather! inside and out! and an incredible inspriration.. honestly. amazing!
i love you and your blog!! your food is delictable, and true HEAB fashion! delish and creative!

greensandjeans October 5, 2009 at 10:26 am

what a great post! congratulations on finding something that works for you and makes you happy! thank you for sharing your story.

Katie October 5, 2009 at 10:29 am

First off – I love your blog.

Secondly – you look AMAZING!

Katie

Heather Ezell October 5, 2009 at 10:34 am

Thank you so much for this post, Heather. It was honest and beautiful. You look incredible, and it’s wonderful to hear that doing what feels most intuitively right does work.

Runeatrepeat October 5, 2009 at 10:53 am

You’re a great example :) I need to incorporate yoga in my life!

Allison October 5, 2009 at 11:03 am

LOVED this post Heather – thank you so much for sharing!

I honestly can’t even believe that the “before” picture is you!

You look fabulous now! :) I know how much you love yoga (and once I hit that running “wall” – yoga is next on my list!)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 5, 2009 at 11:04 am

No one makes me want to do yoga more than you! I’m pretty comfy in my fitness routine, though I know in my heart yoga would really suit me. It’s the cash that keeps me home. Maybe if I had a REEAAALLY good recommendation on serious yoga DVDs…but I have a feeling it’d be a poor substitute for the feedback and connection you can get from a good instructor.

As for long walks, though, I love ‘em. Manhattan is a great place to do it, too, because there is so much to look at! Never a dull moment. Alas, I only get to squeeze in 30 minutes at best during the work day, but I always make sure to stretch my legs with a walk, even if it’s just to the ATM. :)

Scott in Ohio October 5, 2009 at 11:39 am

Such a truthful post. People need to hear this message.

I could not agree with you more about body transformation being 90% diet. Posts like this will go a long way to helping people understand that.

Your intuition is pretty smart, eh? (~:

fitforfree October 5, 2009 at 11:52 am

Heather, you are just amazing. I hope one day I can find the balance and confidence that you have!!
I have to ask, though — do you ever miss running? I’ve gone through running phases and yoga phases and during the yoga phases, I just really miss the “forward motion” part of running . . . but then again, you get that with your doggie walks :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Fitforfree, If I ever miss running, I’ll go for a run. There was one day while we were in Colorado this summer that I ran down a mountain trail, and it was awesome. However, for the most part, I’m quite content without it in my life right now. :)

Emily October 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

Another great post! I most definitely love running, but I make an effort to balance it with other activities, like yoga. Running makes me so happy, but nothing makes me feel more confident, proud of, and comfortable in my body than yoga.

Tina October 5, 2009 at 12:01 pm

You really inspire me. It might sound absolutely stupid, but I always feel guilty that I don’t practice a sport or go to the gym everyday.
I’ve had so many issues with forcing myself to go to the gym everyday, when I know that that just doesn’t work for me.
I bike very often (like almost all people in the Netherlands, it’s kind of our main means of transportation here). I absolutely ADORE walking, but I always end up feeling that I’ve “wasted” my time because I didn’t do anything more intense…
Maybe you understand what I mean…
But thank you for this post :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Tina, Trust me, I understand, but walking IS great exercise. Can you imagine what our ancestors would think if they saw us spend an hour sweating on a machine indoors while going nowhere? They would think we’re crazy. if you’d rather be outside moving and breathing in some fresh air, then walking is perfect for YOU…me too. :)

Karri October 5, 2009 at 12:20 pm

A friend passed on your blog address to me and this post comes at a perfect time for me. I have been a gym girl for years, but have been really craving actually enjoying my exercise as opposed to crossing it off of my “to do” list each day. I’ve already talked to my gym about ending my membership and focusing on running, walking and biking at home in the great outdoors – I think this post sealed the deal for me. I totally agree with you, when you follow your heart you find a balance tha works for your mind and body. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for reading Karri. :)

RunToTheFinish October 5, 2009 at 12:47 pm

i’ve been trying to incorporate a lot of arm poses lately because well I feel like I need to work my arms since I do love running…my shoulders and everything have been sore for sure, but in a great way. I am very glad I finally learned more about yoga and have been enjoying it… what does bother me is that I love to run, but wonder if it’s teh reason I’m not losing these last few lbs. Well ok no it’s probably the cookies I baked for my dad. :) Keep on inspiring us!

Janna October 5, 2009 at 1:20 pm

There was a point earlier this year where I was obsessed with running. But like you, it started to feel like a chore.

I’d done yoga here and there but i decided to start incorporating more yoga… and wow. It really does something that other forms of exercise just can’t do. I love it. There’s nothing like the feeling you have after a yoga class.

Now I run about once or twice a week, maybe even less and I try to do yoga as often as I can. I still have a bit of “racing fever” and want to try and run a couple more races. And sometimes the feel of getting outside for a good run still calls to me.

I guess it’s all about balance, and what makes you feel the best!

Alix October 5, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Wow, what a timely post! Running has completely become a chore for me recently, and I really need to spend some time thinking about what it is I really want to be doing with my exercise time. I really enjoy running but I’m just not enjoying marathon training this go round- it’s become a slog and a huge source of stress and frustration. After talking to my therapist today, I think I’m going to switch to a half marathon instead so I don’t have to worry so much about overall mileage and have time to do more short and fast stuff and race some 5 and 10Ks, which I love.

Maybe I’ll finally go to a yoga class or two, as well! Do you recommend trying to find a beginner class, or just jumping in? I am hopelessly uncoordinated!

Thanks for the reminder that exercise should be fun!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Alix, I think the half plan sounds much more enjoyable. The half was my favorite race distance. As far as yoga goes, I would recommend a beginner’s class. If you don’t learn correct form, you risk injury later on…trust me, I’ve learned this from experience. Have a good night!

Jessica October 5, 2009 at 2:05 pm

That last photo of you doing yoga speaks volumes! AMAZING! I agree when you fall out of love with your current excercise routine, it is a sign.

This is a great post for me to read right now. I struggle with thinking that I have to be rockin’ crazy cardio or it does not count. So untrue!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 5, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I love this post. I feel like we have so much in common!

I lost most of my weight through dietary changes and walking too. And I have to say, I have seen more changes in my body come from strength training and yoga than from running.

When I started running two years ago, it was just a hobby for me since I had already lost the majority of my weight so it was just a new thing to tackle, another challenge. After doing a ton of races including a half marathon, I do still enjoy it but I think my limit is 3 miles. If that. I actually just like running a mile.

But I looooove to walk. And do yoga. And lift weights! I struggle with it sometimes because I want to go run or train for another race but I am lacking the passion that I once had. Just gonna have to go with what is fun from now on and see where it takes me :)

Thanks for sharing your life with us!

Shari B. (FitFeat) October 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Hi Heather,

What a great post! Thank you for sharing. Every time I would train for a distance race, like a half-marathon, I’d get SO SICK of running that I’d stop doing it for a long time. Now I keep my distance short so that it holds my interest (and I don’t do ‘races’ anymore). As it gets colder, I’ll be doing less running because the treadmill bores me. :) But my alltime favorite exercise is hiking the beautiful trails around here.

I SO want to love yoga… I keep trying. I feel great after I do it. I just have to get the part where I enjoy it DURING too. :) I’m sure as I continue to follow your blog, I’ll be so inspired that I’ll get better at liking it!

Thanks again, loved this post!

homecookedem October 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm

HEAB, first of all I just want you to know I think you’re amazing.

I just had to cancel my gym membership due to financial reasons. I needed to read this post today. Thank you. Also, I JUST started a challenge for October for myself. I have to do yoga or pilates every other day for the entire month and if I succeed I’m treating myself to either a facial or MASSAGE!! :)

I’m excited to see what changes I see at the end of the month. Do you ever do pilates?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Homecookedem, I love your plan to treat yourself with a massage or facial at the end of the month – that is great. I have done a few Pilates mat classes, but I’d really like to take a Reformer class – I hear they are great for the entire body, not just your core.

Holly October 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

LOVE this, HEAB! In fact, I think it inspired me to do a post about my experience, too.

I am a former running machine, but haven’t ran since May. I was CONVINCED I was going to put on at least a couple of pounds. And you know what? I didn’t. In fact, I’ve been lifting more and actually feel leaner than with just running.

Thanks for your always continuing inspiration and wise words. I wish I could go back and tell my 24 year old self that I don’t need to run 35 miles a week to be happy and stay healthy. :-)

P.S. You’re so beautiful…in all the pics!

lynn October 5, 2009 at 3:27 pm

heather:) yet another inspiring, down to earth,honest post….a pleasure to read. your mom is just as lovely as you; thanks for sharing your thoughts:) p.s….I have GOT to try yoga! I am a marathon runner who is in depserate need of some flexibility–i will try it and keep you posted. hope you day is a great one:)

Melissa S. October 5, 2009 at 4:12 pm

woman, you need to become a saint or something you’re so inspiring and, just everything!!! i really look up to you and your attitude towards feeling healthy and fit…and one day hope i can grasp that mentality for good!

Shelby October 5, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Sometimes I feel bad for skipping workouts. Like I haven’t worked out in about a week. But I have to realize that if my body doesn’t have the energy to workout, then I shouldn’t be in the first place. Usually I’m so excited to workout, lately it’s been a chore, so I’ve stopped. At first I was afraid I would gain weight (not in an ED way, I just didn’t want to lose my tone and my bootay) but then I realized that my body knows what it’s doing. My appitite has decreased because I’m not working out so much, but that’s okay because I know what fuels me now. I feel at peace with my body.

Oh how I wish I could get into yoga again. I just feel like my mind is racing when everything is peaceful and quiet. Maybe I just need to jump back in again.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Shelby, I swear – you are so wise beyond your years…truly. :)

Maggie October 5, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Oo I’m jealous of your walking. My walks are kind of boring because I don’t have a trail by my house anymore.

Your story is so amazing. It’s so rare! I didn’t realize how much of a runner you were before. I have to agree though – yoga is great.

Marissa October 5, 2009 at 4:24 pm

You look fabulous, but I have told you that before! My question for you is this, since I am new to yoga and sometimes feel like I will never be able to do certain poses, how long did it take you to feel like you could really *accomplish* yoga :-) I know that sounds silly, but I mean…how long from your running days, until you were getting tones from yoga alone AND you could do poses that were difficult for you in the beginning? I do it, but sometimes feel like I will never be able to put my heels down in a downward dog.

I picked up some goodies for you at the market this past weekend, Carbzilla and I are going to put together a goodie box from the Pacific Northwest!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Marissa, Well, I practice yoga off and on for years, but never got serious about it until this past winter. After challegning myself to do nothing but yoga for 1 week, I began to notice changes in my strength and flexibility almost immediate. Poses that seemed almost impossible one day were totally easy the next. I still have my off days, and there are many poses I still can’t do, but I love that yoga challenges me everyday. I never get bored!

You and Tiffany are too sweet – thanks so much! I’ll have to send you both some Southern love. :)

Dee October 5, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Heather,

Guess what? I do five FIVE FIVE yoga classes a week! Loving it! Um, still running, but I have major Boston goals next year. Just registered for that marathon.

But I really love love yoga. Once class feels like cardio church–very spiritual and very flowing. And the theme of last week’s hot power yoga class was power lunges! My butt is three inches higher now!

Thanks for your blog.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Dee, So excited to hear you’re doing more yoga and loving it. That makes me happy, and I think you’ll rock Boston next year. Heartbreak Hill will be nothing after all those power lunges. :)

lessonstolearn October 5, 2009 at 5:31 pm

You hit the nail on the head…if something feels like a chore, it’s not the right choice for you. And sometimes something that was fun, isn’t fun anymore. That’s okay. It’s just time to move on. I love how you have listened to your body and changed your workouts to fit in with where you are in your life at the moment.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope October 5, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Great post! I wish it were cool enough here to start going on walks. Still in the 90′s and humid (gotta love Florida, right?). I hate running. Ok, I won’t say hate, but I just feel incapable of running!! I think some people just weren’t meant to be runners. I don’t have weight to lose, so maybe I don’t have much of an incentive, besides of course, cardiovascular benefits!!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 5, 2009 at 5:39 pm

You are a-maz-ing. Thank you for sharing more pictures. I think I always forget where you came from and how remarkable that is. I so feel you on the cardio. I did the whole running so I can eat thing for awhile (obviously) and my body likes me so much better now. Just because I can’t do a whole lot of high impact cardio, that doesn’t mean I can’t be fit! Preach on girl!!!

Kathryn October 5, 2009 at 6:18 pm

What a wonderful post!

I have a question for you (and all the other yoga lovers out there)…is it possible to teach yourself yoga using the internet/dvd’s, etc., or is it better to get started by taking classes?

Your blog is a total inspiration to me!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 5, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Thanks so much Kathryn, It’s definitely possible to learn a great deal from at-home yoga, but I really recommend taking a few classes at studio if possible. It’s amazing how much a simple adjustment from a teacher can help. Plus, I think it’s so important to learn correct form in the beginning. Otherwise, you could injure yourself if you continue doing poses incorrectly. Hope you have a good night! -Heather

ered October 5, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Hi Heather,
I have maybe a strange question but I think you and I started in the same place after college (regarding pounds and height and everything) and I was losing weight, almost down 60 pounds, when I got pregnant and gained 40. I’m not really bummed about that part–I know I can do it again–but the baby’s gonna be here soon and I was wondering (this is the question part) how long did it take for you to notice a difference in your skin tone? For example, I also was always heavy. I can’t remember looking like the majority of girls so I wonder how (if) my skin will bounce back. I lost the 60 pounds really slowly so I couldn’t tell how it was working out, but my pants were getting smaller and my thighs were definitely a dis-proportioned area and looking at them now I’m just not sure the skin can rebound even if what’s inside of it does. Maybe I should have sent this in a private email but there might be someone else who could benefit…I’ll appreciate any response you’re willing to give :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 7:32 am

ered, Well, losing the weight at a younger age does help. That being said, even though I lost the weight when I was 22 – 23, I had been overweight for as long as I could remember. Thankfully, my skin bounced back in most places…but not all. Let’s just say I hide it well, and that I’m very thankful for Spanx. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email me.

ratzx31 October 5, 2009 at 8:07 pm

thank you Heather for this great post! you truly are a source of inspiration..knowing that you don’t have to do running just to lose weight but there are so many other forms of exercise and i really want to try yoga and pilates. I tried running but it just isn’t my type of cardio as my knees aren’t too good for i twisted them rather badly once, hence the weak point is permenantly there.

It’s comforting to know that whatever you do, no matter how you do it, it still counts if you make the effort! :) Thank you again!!!

Julia October 5, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for sharing about your workouts, I definitely need to do more yoga!

Steph October 5, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I love how you promote exercising for fun and to feel good. So many of us just weren’t built to be runners. Yoga is a great way to gain inner and outer strength and the picture you posted against the mountain backdrop is beautiful!

Whole Body Love October 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm

What an eye-opening post. Just like food, we have to do what’s right for us not someone else. Just because someone else is a runner, cyclist or yogi does not mean that is the workout for us. Our bodies need different things.

lola October 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Heather you look amazing!!!
I think i may have fallen into a trap of my own making :S today i went to the doctor and im 3 kilograms heavier than 2 months ago (that’s like… amm 6 pounds or something), and it’s so frustrating because i’ve never exercised harder in my entire life !!! the doc says it’s all new muscle mass and stuff.. but i feel heavier and i don’t like it… im thinking about turning into yoga at least 3 times a week… what do you think?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 7:35 am

Lola, That was me. It seems the more running/lifting I did, the heavier I got. But for me, it’s b/c I was eating more – mine was not muscle mass. It was nothing but sugar puff. I say give yoga a try. Why not? :)

Mandy October 5, 2009 at 11:49 pm

SO with you, Heather! Thanks for the great post. I used to think working oout to exhaustion was “good”. 5am step class, no problem. Running in the dark when it’s 15 degrees out, sure.

Today the goal is to move my body every day in a way that feels nurturing. Sometimes it’s yoga, sometimes it’s a jog (that can morph into a walk at any point with zero guilt) or a little weight training, the occasional spin class…but it must feel good to my body and it must not be torture.

The kicker is, my body is the same, if not leaner than it was when I was starving and punishing it. Amazing.

Here’s to listening and loving!

xo

Balance for MEre October 6, 2009 at 4:20 am

Those pictures are amazing. You have done so much to change your life. You are inspiring.

Holly October 6, 2009 at 4:30 am

such an inspiration! i think you are so right: you are never going to stick to exercise if you don’t make it something you enjoy and feasible for your life. i just finished my first marathon, but towards the end, running did become a chore. i think i am going to back off for awhile, pump up the yoga and hit up a new class at the gym.

love your blog!

the dainty pig October 6, 2009 at 6:52 am

You look amazing Heather, and the honesty and understanding you have of your body that just seems to radiate from you is sure proof that you don’t need to spend hours in the gym! I am totally on a walking kick these days too…and throw in yoga when I can. Have you ever heard of mindful walking? I am usually a speed-demon race walker whenever I go anywhere, but once in awhile it doesn’t hurt to stop and actually smell the flowers, look at the grass, etc. Kind of a random thought I just threw in, but I thought it might be an interesting addition to your yoga and walking routine. I know when I practice mindful walking I have a totally different experience :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 7:33 am

Dainty Pig, I’ve never heard of mindful walking, but I think it’s something I’ve probably been doing. I like to take slow days on the hiking trails and just breathe it all in. Great way to start the day. :)

CaSaundra October 6, 2009 at 7:13 am

I so admire your willingness to be open & honest on your blog with all aspects of your life!! It makes it all the more real! :-) I don’t believe in having to strenous exercise to make a difference–I have never been one to run or “work out”. I would rather walk, dance, or do fun activities, and I seem to be doing just fine :-)

veggiebooty October 6, 2009 at 7:34 am

I think this goes without saying, but you are absolutely beautiful, at any weight. And, you get to pair that with a beautiful blog about being true to yourself. You’re an inspiration for all of us. Thank you for always sharing :-)

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 6, 2009 at 8:22 am

Thank you so much for this post! I’ve been feeling a little discouraged lately because I’ve never been a runner…I’ve tried but I never enjoyed it. Because I don’t run I feel like I need to go to the extreme with everything else I do and sometimes I get exhausted or just dread working out. I definitely need to remember to take it easy and do what makes me happy!!

Tina October 6, 2009 at 9:36 am

Thank you for this post! I was worried when I came to school that I wouldn’t have time to go to the gym and get in my time on the cardio machines. Yeah, I definitely don’t have the time to do that as much as I would like! However, walking is a lifesaver! My campus is huge, and I’m walking around it all day. I think people underestimate the workout that walking can give.

And yoga is another underestimated exercise! I’m actually planning on going to a yoga class tonight at my rec center and can’t wait :)

molly October 6, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Wow – congratulations. It takes real courage to take charge of your life and send yourself in the direction of your dreams. I am very impressed.

hmmason October 6, 2009 at 1:53 pm

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! I am so so happy for you! I can see the joy of a healthy life style radiate off of your “after” photos! You’re stunning… always were but now you’ve got the confidence to go along with it! Thanks for sharing your journey!

DiningAndDishing October 6, 2009 at 2:19 pm

great post heather! you have really inspired me to drop the gym the last few months and just do the workouts i enjoy…running, walking, swimming etc. i am sooo glad to be free of cardio machines and my weight hasn’t gone up at all. thanks :O)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 3:16 pm

DiningAndDishing, You’re welcome. :)

Hannah October 6, 2009 at 2:49 pm

How do you fit the time in to do 6 mile walks and 90 minutes of yoga?!? It seems like you still do a lot of exercise, just in different ways.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Hannah, I usually get up pretty early, between 5 and 6 AM, and my work hours (I’m a massage therapist) are not typical. My workday doesn’t usually being until 3 PM. Last week, I did a lot more walking than usual as it was super nice outside. Today, it was pouring rain, and all I did was 30 minutes on our stationary bike. No walking, no yoga – too much going on today. -Heather

Samantha October 6, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I’m still very in awe of your power of motivating and the changes you’ve made. I know plenty of people who have completely turned around all their habits to become healthier but you are the ONLY one who has been able to keep slim and fit without being a gymhound lifting heavy all the time, or pounding yourself into the ground with endless cardio.

There’s still hope yet!

Although I have to say one of the things that is really unique and inspiring about your situation is the fact you’re married to a competitive runner, but he supports you being healthy in whatever way you choose. It almost seems like it would be natural for you to just keep running.

Keep doing what works and keep smiling!

Sarena October 6, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I do love my early morning workouts. I actually feel like I have a better day when I start off that way! I have slacked off of my yoga and I think mentally…I miss it the most! I do my cardio and weights religiously, but I need to bring the yoga back! Great post for letting us know more about you!

Lori October 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Great post! I am sure you have already heard that. :) I am a runner and cardio freak… though I am really getting into yoga and even considering dropping my gym membership!! Which is crazy for me because I have never done that before… yoga is really starting to help change me which I love. You look amazing and I can’t wait for my journey with yoga to begin!

organicashley October 6, 2009 at 7:15 pm

People probably don’t realize this but you are most likely burning the same amount of calories everyday but now you’re doing it in a way that is easy on your body and is more enjoyable. It just takes longer.
I am sure it is nice not to be so puffy anymore either. I totally now what runners puff looks and feels like. ;)

Jess October 6, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Heather, I just love this! You really don’t have to spend hours at the gym six days a week. It’s just not necessary! Although I still love my gym, I’m not there everyday and I try to be flexible with when I go because when you think about it, when we try and revolve our day around workouts they become more chaotic and stressful.

Love your mentality!
<3 jess
xoxo

gina (fitnessista) October 6, 2009 at 8:36 pm

just now FINALLY catching up on the blog world and i absolutely love this post
i hope you know how many people look up to you, myself included… you are amazing, heaby
being at school made me realize what a toll teaching so many aerobics classes on top of intense running has done to my body. taking down the cardio and doing a lot more yoga felt so good, and i didn’t gain an ounce. definitely made me re-evaluate my cardio situation!
xoxo

N.D. October 7, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I kind of want to quit running at some point. Right now I enjoy it. But I’m kind of afraid that if I stop, I’m going to gain weight. I wish I was in the comfortable/happy place you are! Do you think your calories are kind of on the lower side?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 6:51 pm

N.D.My appetite definitely decreased when I stop running. I never counted when I was running, but looking back, I was probably taking in 2200-2400 calories a day if not more. Now, I’m good with 1800 to 2000. You won’t gain weight if you stay active and honor your hunger…I promise. It takes letting go, and lots of trust, but if I can do it, anyone can!

Lara (Thinspired) October 8, 2009 at 6:24 am

I love this post! It’s so neat to see what exercise you do day-to-day. I love how active you are without beeing too intense (or so it seems. I’m sure the yoga is intense but I guess I mean like, aeorobically intense). You really are the best “commercial” for yoga I have ever seen, Miss Heather!

Trilby Drew October 8, 2009 at 7:00 am

Ok, so first things first: even in college, you were adorable. And you are still adorable now! Just a healthier (happier?) version of Adorable Heather.

Looking at your before pictures… it’s like looking at myself when I was in college. I, however, never let anyone take my picture back then if I could help it. So I will just have to adopt your “before pictures” as my own. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 8, 2009 at 7:03 am

TB, Miss you were when you’re away. You gotta stop doing that. :) We’ll be in AZ Dec. 22 – 30. Would love to see ya!

veggiebooty October 9, 2009 at 7:46 am

Two stories for you:

1) Adam looked at this picture of you doing yoga and said, “Wow, where was that taken?” I responded, “Ummm, I *think* that might have been in Colorado, babe.” “Really? Well, why don’t we live THERE?” Fort Collins is just not that pretty!

2) This morning, my mom and I went to her gym together (whenever I’m in NJ, she loves to bring me to show off to all her gym buddies). My mom is an avid weight lifter and does a fair share of cardio as well; however, she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is now restricted to walking at 3.3mph on the treadmill at a 0% incline. She’s super-bummed because she doesn’t want to lose her muscle or gain weight. While we were walking, I started telling her allll about you and your blog, and how toned you are from yoga and walking, and encouraged her to ask her doctor if she is allowed to do yoga (how could she not be?). When we got home, I showed her these pictures and her eyes lit up. So, I guess I just wanted to share that story and thank you for being such a fantastic inspiration! And yeah, I think you may have a new loyal reader in my mama ;-)

Thank you again, as always, for sharing your story!

Emma

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 10:01 am

Emma, 1) We were in Westcliffe, Colorado for the deck yoga picture.

2) Please tell your mom that she has nothing to fear. Walking and yoga can do amazing things for the body. The truth is in the photos. I only *gained*muscle tone with yoga – no loss.

Thanks for sharing my blog. Love, Heather

Melanie October 9, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for this post. I’ve gone back and read it a hundred times, I think. I’m definitely going to give yoga a shot. Reading so many of these fitness/food blogs, I always feel so guilty because I don’t like running. I just don’t like it. When I hit the gym, I usually kill myself on the elliptical for an hour, and I think that I eat more because “I worked out hard, so I deserve a little more.” I definitely want to try yoga, and I think I’m going to just focus on hill walking at the gym right now. And I totally meant to tell you earlier that your arms look KILLER in the yoga pic from CO. That was a big difference I noticed from your running pics and your yoga pic. Kudos to you for being so transparent about these things on your blog. It helps us all so much.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for you comment Melanie, and never feel guilty if you don’t like running. It’s definitely not for everyone, and neither is yoga for that matter. Just do what you love. As long as you stay active, that is all that matters. :)

Brandi B. October 11, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Heather,
I just tried hot yoga–I love it! Is Polly’s yoga video intense enough to do it as a replacement as well or is it more for beginners?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Brandi, Glad you enjoyed your hot yoga class. Polly’s yoga DVD is very unique. I love her style, and although it’s not as intense as hot yoga, it will work your muscles. She starts out with Firefly and does not do one single Downward Dog until the very end. Great hamstring workout as mine are usually sore the next day,and I like that the first sequence is 35 minutes – not too short and not too long. I would say it’s for beginners as well as intermediate level yoginis.

{ 4 trackbacks }