Chocolate Covered Pancakes

by HEAB on October 6, 2009

Chocolate + pancakes + syrup = hello sugar overload. I know what you’re thinking…HEAB does not eat sugar.  Well, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a pancake breakfast every so often. In fact, I enjoyed this one 2 days in a row.

Make this for dinner tonight. :)

Make this for dinner tonight. :)

Who do I have to thank for this amazing recipe?  Why Chocolate Covered Katie of course.  Click here for her Brownie Batter Pancake recipe. I subbed chocolate Jay Robb rice protein for the Amazing Grass, 2 squares of a Lindt 90% chocolate bar for the chocolate chips, and my version contained applesauce, water, and stevia. Toppings included soy-free Earth Balance, a drizzle of Grade B maple syrup, and a dollop of Rice Whip. Delicious Katie! I ate them on Sunday morning and then made them again yesterday when my brother joined me for breakfast.

Scottie like them too. :)

Scottie approved. :)

Many of you asked me about the Rice Whip.  Well, it’s no real whipped cream or even Cool Whip for that matter, but it’s pretty tasty mixed with chocolate and maple syrup.  On it’s own, it’s kind of bland.

I also made Scottie a bowl of oatmeal with bananas.  One of his bananas got a bit upset…

What?  No chocolate love for me?

What? No chocolate love for me?

Check back tomorrow…I’ve been experimenting more with my HeatDish.  What’s HEAB up to now?????

Angharad October 6, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Okay you are an actual genius in the kitchen! These look so amazing and drool-worthy!
I just caught up on your cardio post too – I always love posts like that from you. You are a wise lady and I love you for it! It’s so wonderful to see someone so at home with themselves. Plus you have a rocking yoga bod!! Hot dayaaamn!

JENNA October 6, 2009 at 2:04 pm

YUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 6, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Every time I think you can’t get any sweeter, you outdo yourself, Heather. No wonder you don’t EAT sugar: if you did, you’d explode from too much sweetness in one small person! And you’re so kind to ME that I want to cry (not out of sadness!). You’re beautiful, kind, fun, an awesome writer and a creative blogger… is there anything you can’t do?
To sum it up, Heather = :) :) :) the BEST

P.S. LOL about the angry banana!

Tiffany S. October 6, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I’m DYING over the frowny banana!

peaceandpeanutbutter October 6, 2009 at 3:06 pm

HEAB has done it again! Delicious!

VeggieGirl October 6, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Another winning recipe, my friend!! You need to publish a cookbook already :-D

Maggie October 6, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Haha, silly banana!

I haven’t made Katie’s pancakes, but they do look awesome… hooray for carb month!

The Foodie Diaries October 6, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I want to lick my screen–just putting that out there…

Jessica October 6, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Wow this is amazing! So creative!! :)

keri410 October 6, 2009 at 3:51 pm

That poor nanner! He looks oh so distraught!

mmmm… chocolate pancakes=classic! I’m gonna have whip some of those up soon!

Can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with with the heat dish! I have YET to try the oat groats! Do you think you could do something like that with regular oats?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Keri, Yes, Kimberly over at Living Freemakes oatgurt with gluten free rolled oats.

Evan Thomas October 6, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Yum yum yum. Maranatha’s dark chocolate almond butter would go perfect on those

Diana October 6, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Those look amazing!

Emily October 6, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Yum! Those pancakes look amazing! Its definitely becoming full-on pancake season, for sure! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I still have not yet tried the brownie batter Katie cakes…but now I’m gonna have to! They look sooo good. And would be so chocolatey and num! I am having the hardest time finding the soyfree earth balance in Phoenix. In San Diego, regular grocers carried it as well as TJs but here I guess only WF does so a special trip but this post reminded me that I should pick some up.

I wonder what you and your heat dish will be up to :) Seriously careful with that thing though b/c it will accelerate the fermentation process and that could be why things smelled really strong. I just dont wanna be responsible for anything gone a little too fermented, i.e. maybe a bit too probiotic-ish? Don’t know if that’s possible but careful with the ole heat lamp there!
xoxo

missyrayn October 6, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I’m loving that you admit that sometimes you just want something and you enjoy it instead of putting those limits on yourself.

Erica October 6, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Fabulous! Makes me want brinner right now ;) I have to get my hands on that rice whip.

How are things? Work going well?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Erica, Things are good. Work is good too…well, kind of slow this week, but that’s okay. Hope you and Josh are doing well. :)

Jenny October 6, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I fully support chocolate for breakfast — in fact, I vote it becomes a law to have it at least once a week :)

theskinnyplate October 6, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Pancakes sound so good right now. It’s dinner time for me, but I don’t care. Pancakes it is.

Erika October 6, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Yum. If I was working from home tomorrow, I think I would be making these! :)

Heather October 6, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I want to come have breakfast with you! Those look simply amazing.

Jess October 6, 2009 at 7:34 pm

They sound fabulous!

<3 jess
xoxo

P.S I received some amazing grass samples–and I have to say that so far, I am in agreement with you! Ick! I'm scared to try anymore haha. I much prefer a bowl of green oats with almond butter. :)

<3 jess
xoxo

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 6, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Jess, So good to know I’m not the only one who did not like the Amazing products. Ick indeed!

Deva (voracious vorilee) October 6, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Those pancakes look DIVINE!I love the angry looking banana – it looks like it needs some chocolate, stat!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) October 6, 2009 at 8:27 pm

OK the banana cracks me up- it’s like when people see Jesus in their piece of toast!!

And your brothuh is a CUTIE!! Have I said that before? Do you think that CD and your bro look alike a little? I do, but that might be too weird for you to think about :-D

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 4:39 am

Deb, Ha ha – what’s even more weird is that CD and I often get mistaken for brother and sister rather than husband and wife.

fartygirl October 6, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I love that you indulge every once in a while! You look awesome. You can afford to.

Oh yeah, and your brother is hot. :)

Scott McIntosh October 6, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for the pancakes sis, they were amazing! And the old fashion oats on stovetop with walnuts, pumkin pie almond butter, and angry bananas!

@Deb, thanks, I’m single ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 4:40 am

Too late bro, Deb is married. Too bad cause she’s the one that made that amazing Pumpkin Pie almond butter. ;)

Shelby October 7, 2009 at 4:53 am

Mmm yummy pancakes! I can’t even remember the last time I had pancakes! I must make some more soon :)

Heck yes for Lindt 90%!! My favorite!

CaSaundra October 7, 2009 at 6:46 am

I love pancakes every once n awhile! I love your addition of applesauce too, I bet that gave them a stunning texture.

Tina October 7, 2009 at 8:01 am

I was SO disappointed when I tried the Soyatoo rice whip… :( … it was so bad and I was attempting to show some of my friends that vegan whipped cream was just as good as regular. Boy did I fail!

But your right, when you mix it in with chocolate it’s damn tasty!

The pancakes look delicious :D
xx

P.S. Your brother is cute (hmm, I wonder how many comments mentioned that?)

brandi October 7, 2009 at 8:33 am

ooh, i love the addition of the dark chocolate! glad they’re brother tested and HEAB approved :)

Tina October 7, 2009 at 9:11 am

I can’t even remember the last time I had pancakes! Maybe some weekend I’ll be able to do it. Someone gave me a mix before I left for school, and they’re actually meant to add cottage cheese to. Very interesting!

Vicki October 7, 2009 at 9:30 am

The banana face is sooooooo funny! Thanks for making me chuckle!!!!

Jaya October 7, 2009 at 9:47 am

Heather, I loved this post! First off, I am all for “legalizing and de-stigmatizing” all food so that when I do enjoy a treat (healthy or rich version) I just enjoy it with you stipulations. In fact, I made the vegan PB swirl pancakes last week from OhSheGlows and they were awesome! My only guilt was for not making more of them!

As to your comments about running, walking, yoga, cardio, etc. This is really resonating with me right now as I am about to hang up my shoes from my competitive sports career after 12 years. I am really at the height of my athleticism and competing at an elite level is incredibly rewarding, but all my body seems to want is stillness. I recovered from a stress fracture this summer by just (attempts at) swimming and doing yoga and I discovered a peace and happiness in my body that I simply cannot derive from impact training. Your experience really led me to believe that my instinct to let go of my sport and move toward a greater stillness (and amazingly, my body seemed to deflate from the decreased training as well) and explore well-being in new ways. You are such in inspiration and I am super grateful for the timing and reflection in your post.

Jaya :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 9:55 am

Jaya,What an amazing comment. Hanging up your shoes after 12 years? Wow, I know that won’t be easy, but it sounds like you are looking at it in a very positive way. It also sounds like your body is thanking you already. Yay for less puff. :) Anyway, thank you for your encouraging words. I’m now off to see about some PB swirl pancakes. Hope you have a good week. Love, Heather

Jaya October 7, 2009 at 9:49 am

Oops, that should be with OUT stipulations!

Nicole October 8, 2009 at 7:26 am

I’m so glad I saw this. I’ve been becoming a little bit obsessed with the “no sugar” thing….

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 8, 2009 at 7:28 am

Nicole,A tsp of maple syrup and some 90% dark chocolate isn’t so bad. :)

Emily October 8, 2009 at 7:03 pm

umm, those pancakes look amazing, heather. way to enjoy your pancake breakfast! :-)

glad your brother approved of oatmeal. i have yet to convince my little bro that he would enjoy it. he always says things when i’m home like, “that smells…..healthy.”

Jenna October 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm

yummyyy pancakes!
jenna

fitforfree October 15, 2009 at 10:23 am

What an incredibly delicious looking breakfast. And CUTEST BANANA EVER. (Your brother is pretty cute too :-) )

Naomi (onefitfoodie) October 19, 2009 at 6:18 am

what a good sis cooking for your bro! those look INCREDIBLE i cannot even take it! I am just about to eat breakfast and I certainly want some of those!!

{ 1 trackback }