Homemade Coconut Milk Kefir

by HEAB on October 7, 2009

More fun with the HeatDish:

Coconut Milk Kefir

Coconut Milk Kefir

Using Averie’s super simple recipe, I made my own coconut milk kefir.  So exciting. Thanks Averie!  The Costco HeatDish helped speed up the fermentation process, but it’s totally not necessary.  Although my kefir smelled pretty sour after fermenting overnight, I think it tastes delicious. So much coconut flavor, and I love how the coconut water sweetened it without any added sugars.

Yesterday, I used the kefir to make my morning smoothie along with another new ingredient.

POM Nectarine and POM Kiwi Juice

POM Nectarine and POM Kiwi Juice

The folks at POM Wonderful sent me their 2 newest juice flavors which I immediately froze into POM cubes for smoothies.

POM Nectarine cubes. 2 of them went straight into my belly. :)

POM Nectarine cubes. 2 of them went straight into my belly.

Then 2 more went into my smoothie:

Coconut POM Smoothie

Coconut POM Smoothie

I love the POM Nectarine cubes. The juice itself is much sweeter than the plain POM, and it makes for some great popsicles. :) It also added a nice fruity vibe to my smoothie. Into the Vita-Mix went:

• 1 cup coconut milk kefir
  • 2 TBSP chia seeds soaked overnight in the kefir
  • 1 scoop chocolate Sun Warrior rice protein powder
  • 2 POM Nectarine cubes
  • 1/2 tsp guar gum
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Although giving up dairy (for the most part) has done wonders for me, I do miss Greek yogurt. So, this morning’s breakfast was an attempt at a yogurt mess. Again, I soaked 2 TBSP chia seeds in 1 cup of coconut milk kefir overnight.  After my yoga class this morning, I blended it with 1 TBSP vanilla Jay Robb rice protein, a handful of ice cubes, and some guar and xanthan gums.  I then topped my yogurt with a chopped apple, cinnamon, and a spoonful of Deb’s homemade pecan nut butter.

Look like yogurt...

Looks like yogurt...

The consistency turned out great, thick and creamy.  However, the taste was a bit off.  Too gooey – not sure if was the chia seeds or the gums.  This one needs a little work. The pecan butter helped. :)

Have you hugged a carb yet this month?

Love me some kabocha.

Love me some kabocha.

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 7, 2009 at 8:49 am

Aw, I don’t know who’s prettier, you or the kabocha :)

And I’ve bookmarked Averie’s recipe, cuz let’s face it: That Turtle Mountain stuff is just too darn expensivo.

Happy Wednesday, girlie pie!

Love,
Katie

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 7, 2009 at 8:51 am

Woooohoooo for making my coconut kefir recipe! It’s soooo easy, isn’t it, and yeah, heat dish not required! I totally appreciate you taking the time to post about this my friend :) Oh, for me, anytime a smoothie gets a little weird, I always retrace my steps and for me, it’s usually the XG or GG that makes it too gooey or just off. Anyway though, thanks for the links and the shoutouts, & much love to you Heather :)

xoxox
averie

Jessica October 7, 2009 at 8:52 am

This is such a cool recipe. I would have never thought to do that. So creative!

The Foodie Diaries October 7, 2009 at 8:53 am

Love the POM ice cubes; those would probably taste GREAT in lemonade! Ahhh, summer…

peaceandpeanutbutter October 7, 2009 at 8:57 am

Hey Heather, can you try making your own greek yogurt with coconut milk yogurt?

Have you tried goat milk yogurt?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 9:21 am

Erika,I don’t see why not. I need to try that, and yes, I have tried goat milk yogurt. I like it, but it’s way too pricey! Hopefully, I can figure out a good recipe for homemade non-dairy/non-soy yogurt soon. :)

missyrayn October 7, 2009 at 8:57 am

I love nutbutters with fruit. This reminds me I brought back some pecan butter from Colorado that I need to try. Perhaps that will go in a wrap for lunch :-)

janetha October 7, 2009 at 9:04 am

i love that you make such good use of your heat dish. and you know what i love more? that photo of you loving up on that squash! i need to go hug a carb today!

brandi October 7, 2009 at 9:10 am

love the squash shot :) I still haven’t found kabocha here! What’s going on VA?!?

Pure2Raw twins October 7, 2009 at 9:16 am

Your smoothie and yogurt sound delicious. I still need to try Averie’s recipes… they always look so good. Once I make my own coconut kefir/yogurt I will let you know how it goes. Some recipes just need that little bit of extra time to get just right! :)

MelissaNibbles October 7, 2009 at 9:26 am

I haven’t hugged a carb yet. I’m going to go love on some sweet potatoes!

VeggieGirl October 7, 2009 at 9:39 am

You and the kabocha = too cute. CD better watch out ;)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) October 7, 2009 at 9:57 am

Awww hugging a kabocha- too cute!

Hmm, if the consistency was off would have been either the gum combo with the chia (not sure about three thickeners vs two). If the flavor was off I’d look elsewhere- the pom?? The kefir?? The gums have no flavor at all. I think I mentioned to you privately that I wasn’t a huge fan of the choc. rice protein, but I think you are…need to experiment more HEABs!! :-) Tough job but someone’s gotta do it!

Thanks for the mention and glad you’re liking the nb! Pecan rocks the house.

D

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 10:09 am

Deb,The smoothie was great. It was the yogurt that needed more work, and I definitely think I overgummed. :(

Devan Geselle N October 7, 2009 at 10:02 am

coconut pom smoothie? yes please!
I absolutly need to make coconut kefir.. do you know of any vegan kefirs? or yogurt starters?

I am planning on hugging my carb very soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 10:12 am

Devan,So Delicious makes a coconut milk kefir, and you kind find it in the dairy section at Whole Foods. You can also order non-dairy starters from this Website: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/cart.html. Enjoy your carb hugging. :)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) October 7, 2009 at 10:28 am

So creative! And clean! Love it =) I am gonna need a heat lamp…

Graze With Me October 7, 2009 at 10:34 am

Just bought some kabocha – I’ll be sure to hug it when I get home and then roast it!

Evan Thomas October 7, 2009 at 10:36 am

Thats such a neat recipe/idea. I was so upset when the creamery at my farmers market today said they made a new batch of kefir but forgot it at the creamery :-(

Mary :: A Merry Life October 7, 2009 at 10:51 am

Just found your blog via Kath Eats. I love the idea of POM cubes! That’s pretty smart and I wished I had thought of it when I had some POM around the house and didn’t feel like drinking it.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 7, 2009 at 10:53 am

Aw, you are too cute hugging your squash. Or squashing your hug. Whatever.

I’m definitely interested in making my own kefir/kombucha/fermented non-dairy stuff, though I’m not convinced that making homemade coconut kefir is cheaper than Turtle Mountain’s. What do you think? I mean, a liter of coconut water alone is like $5 at my WF. However, I have heard that you could buy some store-bought kefir, reserve a bit and then use it as a starter for your own, which would eliminate the need to buy a pricey starter by itself.

DILEMMA!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 10:55 am

Diana, I only used a small box of the coconut water, and 1/4 can of full fat coconut milk diluted with 8 ounces of water. The starter was a bit pricey, but I only had to use one packet of it for 24 ounces of kefir. So, yes, I did save money in the end, and yes, you could just use the store bought kefir as your starter. Problem solved. :)

Abby October 7, 2009 at 11:21 am

Love the picture!!! Kobocha = Amazingness! I need to jump on this hug a carb thing :) Have a super day.

ps.. change of blog venues.. still Abbys Vegan Eats!

Heather October 7, 2009 at 11:32 am

I bought my first kabocha today!!! I will hug it later ;)

That’s a genius idea to do with the POM cubes. I really love the nectarine one. I still miss soda sometimes so mixing it with seltzer water is perfect.

Erica October 7, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I love all of the experimenting you do- makes me want to try new things :) This sounds very yummy- I love all things coconut flavored ;) Josh and I enjoyed the POM nectarine…not big fans of the kiwi though

charlotte October 7, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Every time you write “heat dish” I always read “hot dish” which is a regional name here for tater tot casserole. (Ewww!) So I’m always relieved when you actually post something that looks so delish! Gotta say though that I found the additional sweetness in the POM flavors cloying – apparently I’m a straight up kind of girl!

Tina October 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Hugged your carb! OMG that HAS to be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! *Goes over and hugs a pumpkin right away*

I’ve always been deadly afraid of fermenting things, I always think I”ll poison myself or something :S

Shelby October 7, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I’m bookmarking that recipe ASAP!

Steph October 7, 2009 at 3:43 pm

wonderful shot of you and your kabocha! it’s great that you’re so open to trying different recipes/ideas, even if they don’t turn out perfect every time :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) October 7, 2009 at 5:21 pm

omg what a pic of you and the kabocha! you need to blow that up and put it in your kitchen!! its amazing!

the cocnut kefir sounds so interesting!

i think I will be hugging and enjoyin my speghetti squash tonight :)

chasingblue October 7, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I love your carb huggin’ picture. LOL

I love reading your blog and seeing all of the cool stuff you eat!

Any ideas for what to do with beets? I have a TON of them and already made carrot beet salad and beet brownies!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 6:49 pm

ChasingBlue,Well, do not put beets in your oats. Bad idea. I do love beet juice, and so they might be good in a smoothie. I also love tossing beets into my salads. Here you go – 412 beet recipes just for you: http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/inxbet.html. Let me know if you try any of them. I’m intrigued at the thought of beet chips.

Julz October 7, 2009 at 6:24 pm

omg. you are so presh in that last picture! I adore kabocha so much! it’s like my fave veggie everrrrr now <333

i am back to posting hebs, so check em out if you get the chance! and i am back to reading my fave blogs, too! yayay! love you so!

fartygirl October 7, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I can’t tell if there’s kefir splatter on that POM or if it’s just the light making weird patterns on it. Funny either way. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 7, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Fartygirl,Some of the packing peanuts stuck to the POM bottle. :)

Meredith October 7, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I love that pic of you with the kabocha!

Ellen (Peace in Motion) October 7, 2009 at 7:14 pm

kabocha love! The ‘yogurt’ mess looks delish. I’ve been craving greek yogurt ever since I got to Australia, and I finally found some the other day! can you say loveee

Emily October 7, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I love the Pom cubes.
I went to this cafe on vacation in New Hampshire where they had fresh lemonade or limade and you could choose different flavors of ice cubes to put in. Yum.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 7, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I LOOOOVE kefir…I need to get some grains and ferment them myself! I’ve never tried coconut milk kefir but I betcha I’d love it!

Trilby Drew October 8, 2009 at 6:50 am

No way! Homemade coconut milk kefir?! Be still, my beating heart! Considering that the MCFAs in coconut milk are believed to help boost immunity, I think I’ll be doubling up on my coconut milk consumption this cold and flu season. As if I needed another reason to indulge my love of all things coconut… :)

Justine October 8, 2009 at 7:02 am

UGH!! If I do this Candida thing I am going to have to wave buh-bye to carbs!!! Just don’t know if this is the best time of year to do it. Anniversary, Halloween, birthday, Thanksgiving, X-Mas all coming up and that diet seems impossible to stick to through all this!!

I love Greek Yogurt. Just finished some actually with lots of dark choc. cocoa powder mixed in. MMMmmmm.

We need to get together Heabs.

Love Ya,
Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 8, 2009 at 7:04 am

Come down to Nashville for a yoga class or a hike.

Tina October 8, 2009 at 8:41 am

Need to try kabocha asap!!!

maggie October 8, 2009 at 5:08 pm

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE kabocha!!

Maggie

MYBREAKMASTBLOG.COM

Jenna October 8, 2009 at 8:57 pm

POM smoothie looks great! and so does you “yogurt”!
jenna

elise October 9, 2009 at 10:02 am

POM cubes! brilliant!!!

CaSaundra October 10, 2009 at 7:03 am

You seriously need to start a HEAB science/bio class featuring all your food experiments/concoctions :o )

{ 6 trackbacks }