The Carb Hugging Continues

by HEAB on October 9, 2009

Yesterday, I entered the world of rice cooker oats.

Vanilla Protein Oats

Vanilla Protein Oats

Thanks for the directions Maggie!  My oats turned out super thick and creamy, and my entire kitchen smelled like cinnamon and vanilla. Love that.  After they were done, I stirred in some Jay Robb vanilla rice protein powder with a little hot water. Toppings were the last of Deb’s homemade pumpkin pie almond butter and a spoonful of Nuttzo.

This morning I ate something I haven’t had in many many months…

Cold Cereal

Cold Cereal

I rarely purchase cold cereal anymore.  OK, I never buy it, but I had a coupon for a box of Kashi (thanks again Annabel!), and picked up some 7 Whole Grain Cereal Puffs.  My criteria was no soy protein isolate and little to no sugar.  Puffs it was.  I ate a huge bowl (2 cups) with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, 1 scoop Sun Warrior chocolate rice protein powder, and a big scoop of Nuttzo. Alone, the cereal wouldn’t do much for me as it basically tastes like crispy air, but after adding some protein and fat, this was a surprisingly satisfying breakfast.   The crunch was a nice change.

Last but not least, I wanted some bread.  Bread is another item I rarely buy.  So, I made some.

Most simple bread recipe ever.

Most simple bread recipe ever.

Using the millet bread recipe sent to me by reader Jen, I made oat bread with raw oat groats, and it came out perfect. Recipe as follows:

• Soak 2/3 cup grains overnight.
  • In the morning, drain grains and spread on a parchment lined cookie sheet to dry a bit.
  • Place dry grains in blender or food processor and pulse/grind into a flour.
  • Add 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt, 1 stevia packet, and 3/4 cup water.
  • Blend – it will be watery.
  • Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350° and melt 1 TBSP unrefined coconut oil in a baking dish.  I used a round cake pan.
  • Pour your bread water dough into the pan and bake for 23 minutes.

This post was fairly colorless, but totally delicious.  Hmm, I think I need something green for lunch. :)

Have a good weekend!

Maggie October 9, 2009 at 10:57 am

Cool bread recipe! I will try it, but prolly with just normal oats or something. No groats right now.

Isn’t the smell amazing? I’ve taken to adding extra cinnamon and vanilla just so the smell stays longer :P

AND I’ve been enjoying cold cereal too. Nom nom. Back to oats today though. It’s getting chilly! (I had a smoothie on my menu but realized that was a lil silly since it’s so cold.)

Jessica October 9, 2009 at 11:50 am

I love cold cereal. I try not to buy it because I can devour an entire box.

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 9, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Ok, after you AND Maggie, I might jut have to get on board this rice-cooker-oat thing..

Can we say “YAY for new oat experiments!”?

*Super-excited* :)

stephaniescarborough October 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm

That bread sounds amazing! I must try it soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Stephanie, Yes, try the bread. It’s so moist, and I love the slight flavor the coconut oil adds. Super easy. I’m anxious to try it with other grains. Quinoa bread maybe? :)

brandi October 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

that nuttzo looks SO good!!!

Enjoy your weekend Heather! Hey – I’m looking into a conference for work in Nashville in November!!! :) work is still checking on the budget, but if I’ll be in your neck of the woods, I’ll let you know!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Brandi, Oh my gosh – so excited. I hope you get to come to Nashville!!!!

VeggieGirl October 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Fun recipe!!

No worries for the lack of color – beige is still a lovely shade ;)

janetha October 9, 2009 at 3:10 pm

wow what an easy recipe, thanks heather! i have never made bread but that looks so simple.

Reigne October 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Yum. Carb hugging is the best! After months of it being one of my “forbidden foods”, I’ve started to eat cereal as well, mainly because I’m so sick of oats! The problem is, that they don’t sell Kashi – or any other healthy, but yummy cereals here in Australia, so I’m stuck eating cardboard Special K. :(

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 9, 2009 at 3:23 pm

You are so adorable with your carb loving! I have a $2 off coupon for Kashi staring at me on my counter right now and we are going grocery shopping. If that damn Go Lean didn’t have soy, I’d be happier, but as I’m becoming more tolerant of all foods in general (well, not meat or dairy…let’s be honest) I’m becoming more tolerant of soy as well. And I’m pretty sure Nutzo would spice up a bowl of dirt, you know?

Love you HEAB!!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 9, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Love the “bread” recipe. I’ll have to use that to feed my boyfriend. He’s not eating yeast or sugar so no yeast and stevia is awesome!

What’s up with soy protein isolate? What IS it and why is it in our food? I’m also wary of it, but not sure why and was wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks HEAB!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Chloe, Not sure how they extract the protein isolate or whatever it is from soy, but I do that is gives me horrible stomach cramps and the worst gas. Seriously, you do not want to be in a room with me if I eat it – tofu does the same thing. However, I’m okay with tempeh. Something about the fermentation process making the soy proteins easier to digest.

Baking 'n' Books June 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I’m confused about fermented foods. From what I’ve read, fermented foods are to be avoided if avoiding sugar and yeast (i.e if have Candidiasis, sugar problems). But then I read about all the “benefits” of fermented foods like tempeh and apple cider vinegars, etc….I love tempeh – but is it bad for “growing” yeast then?

Yick, that sounds icky.

(P.S I made this bread before with rice! I must try it with quinoa – so simple and no added ingredients like the gums and stuff you see added in store bought products).

missyrayn October 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I’ve been in need of a way to cook large batches of oats to reheat later. This may be my solution!

Tiffany S. October 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Mmmmm, crispy air! I can’t believe that hasn’t caught on like those darn Chia seeds!

I did oat groats in the rice cooker and they kinda came out like chewy rice. I think I need to explore oat bran instead. I’ll revisit your bran posts when I have a minute. Feel like I haven’t had a second to breathe lately!

Have a great weekend!

Gina October 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Love the bread recipe!! I have a bunch of oat groats, maybe I’ll give it a shot!!

MelissaNibbles October 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Looks delicious! I’m not a big cereal person, but I like adding it to yogurt and cottage cheese just to change the texture and give it a little crunch.

Enjoy your weekend!

Emily October 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Those oats look good. I’ve used my crock pot to make steel cut oats – I wonder if that would work in the rice cooker?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Emily, I think so. I didn’t have as much luck with the steel cut oats in my crockpot. I let them cook too long and ended up with glue.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) October 9, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Love rice cooker oat! That’s how I make mine at school. Love carbs too =)

Pure2Raw twins October 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Your bread looks so yummy I love millet. I might try making it raw… I think I should be able to figure it out… hopefully :) . Thanks for sharing.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm

This:

LOL

Generally speaking, if i am in doubt as to whether or not I can deal with something, I add agave. I think agave to me is what nut butter is to you: essential :)

Bread and cereal…wow, 2 things I havent had in 5+ yrs. Between your GF bread recipe and Gena Choosing Raw’s recent dehydrated bread recipe, I am tempted to bread it up round here.

oxox

balancejoyanddelicias October 9, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I like so much that grain bread recipe!!! I wonder can I use other grains like barley, wheat berries to make it using the same method? :)
carbs are so wonderful!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Balancejoyanddelicias, Yes, I think so. I’ve made the bread with both millet and oat groats. I love it. I’m wondering if it will work with quinoa.

Jess October 9, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Mmm, those rice cooker oats look fabulous!

Erica October 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Oats in the rice cooker? What a great idea. I went through a long period where I didn’t really eat cold cereal…but i’m faling back in love again due to lots of coupons hah

Jillian October 9, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Of course you can come be one of the girls…we would absolutely love it! :)

Totally cracked up at the ‘penis’ eggs…hilarious!
Miss you!…hugs!
Jillian

Ann October 10, 2009 at 12:25 am

I can’t lie, I love me some crispy air occasionally. Mainly for the crunch, after weeks of creamy or mushy foods. I don’t know how much the Kashi stuff costs, but my old co-op sold bags of puffed cereals like millet and kamut–it’s cheap, and like the Kashi, that’s the ONLY ingredient. I forget the brand but it’s something like Arrowhead Mills or Nature’s Path or something.

runningmind October 10, 2009 at 12:48 am

Yay! I love that you switched back to showing full posts in google reader. That Nuttzo looks delicious!!!!

Lara (Thinspired) October 10, 2009 at 2:48 am

I love the carbyness of this post :) Did you make up that bread recipe? You are so creative in getting foods to work for you. I have never made bread myself…unless a Jiffy cornbread box counts? ;)
Hope you have a great weekend, Miss Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 10, 2009 at 5:43 am

Lara, I did not make up the bread recipe. One of my readers sent it to me. It’s so easy. The coconut oil is the key as it makes the bread so moist. Eating some right now with tahini for breakfast. :)

Damjana October 10, 2009 at 5:46 am

Carb hugging month is a wonderful idea! I practiced carb eating though;)

Shelby October 10, 2009 at 6:58 am

Okay, I MUST try that slow-cooker oat recipe! It sounds so delicious and creamy. Plus it would be perfect for a quick breakfast before school.

I never buy cereal anymore but I have tried that cereal in the past. It really was just like puffed air. But good to mix in with other things.

Ooo and I love the bread recipe! I’ll have to get more oat groats soon!

CaSaundra October 10, 2009 at 7:01 am

I am the opposite of you–I am a total cold cereal freak, and very rarely eat oats or other hot grains; crazy I know! I love Nature’s Path Kamut Puffs. I usually mix em’ half n half with another flavored cereal :-)

justrun October 10, 2009 at 7:30 am

Crispy air. hahahhaha!

Tina October 10, 2009 at 9:00 am

I totally agree with the cold cereal. I always have GoLean Crunch because I put it in yogurt, but I’m always hesitant to eat it for breakfast. I think that it won’t keep me full or I’ll eat it way too fast. But sometimes if I get home late and only feel like cereal, I’ll have a big bowl of it with cinnamon and peanut butter. And it always tastes SO amazing. Something about the cold and crunchy makes it very satisfying. And adding fat is a definite must.

I wanna try that bread! I love the creations you come up with :)

Devan Geselle N October 10, 2009 at 9:05 am

i love my cold cereal!
i purchass it far to often.. i really need to venture out and try new carbs though.. its such a fear thing for me:(
but hey, i conquerd PB and AB.. why not oats and bread…? gah.. even thinking about it shakes me.

Megan October 10, 2009 at 10:38 am

mmmmm, me loves it all! i hate bread, but that looks like something I’d be willing to eat very large portions of :)

p.s. pam and jim’s wedding?!?! I cried. A LOT.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 10, 2009 at 11:27 am

Megan, Loved the wedding episode. Poor Andy – I was cracking up, and Jim & Pam are too cute. However, when did Dwight become such a turd?

Abby October 10, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I love cereal!! That bread recipe sounds super simple.. need to try it out! Sometimes the easiest “plainest” looking foods are the best! YUM :)

Megan October 10, 2009 at 1:13 pm

right?! Dwight never ceases to shock me with his idiocy…. and poor michael, he just needs someone to love him! The whole wedding i was like, is this pam & jim or heather & cd?! they’re interchangeable in my brain :)

glidingcalm October 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Mamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I miss your blog!! GAAAA school!

Sorry if you’ve answered this before- does nutzo taste just like pb2? or diff?

I love the idea of rice-cooker oats. My parents downgraded to a cute smaller rice cooker, which makes good size portions.

That millet bread also sounds really tastyyyyyyy!

And puffed cereals are a hugggggggggggggggge hit in the GC household.

Hope you have an amazing weekend HEAB!! Hugssssssss

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 6:38 am

GC,Nuttzo does not taste like PB2 at all. It contains both ground and whole flax seed, and the flax taste really cuts down on the natural sweetness of peanut butter. It contains no sugar. Just nuts, seeds, and salt. I only have one spoonful left. So sad. :(

Love you and I hope you’re having a good weekend!

Sana October 10, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Heather! I love reading your blog and I want to try the bread recipe. I have a question about the stevia. I don’t have packets, I have a bottle of it. So how many teaspoons is in 1 packet?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 6:43 am

Hey Sana,Yes, yes, try the bread. I love it. The original recipe does not call for stevia, but I like how it gives the bread more of a sweet/salty taste. 1 packet stevia = about 2 tsp. Let me know if you make it and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 10, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Funny – I rarely buy cold cereal or bread anymore either! Nothing against it, I guess I just don’t gravitate towards meals that involve it. Love the millet bread recipe though, along with its lack of ingredients! Wholesome to the max. :)

Heather October 10, 2009 at 3:38 pm

So you just substituted oats for the millet in the original bread recipe?
I can do millet, but not oats, so that would be way cool, and super easy!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 6:40 am

Heather,Yes, the original recipe calls for millet, and so you can make it gluten free. I am in love with this bread. Ate the whole pan in less than 24 hours. The coconut oil is key – makes it kind of spongy and really moist. The first time I made it, I didn’t use the entire 3/4 cup water the recipe calls for b/c it seemed so watery, but use all the water. Otherwise, the bread is a bit dry. Let me know if you try it. I’m going to try making it with quinoa soon. Hope you have a good Sunday! -Heather

Jen (eatmovelove) October 11, 2009 at 7:48 am

Love your blog Heather! And, again, thanks for taking the time to provide me with advice – you are simply a delightful person! Mmmm carbs – I’m a self-confessed carb-a-holic. I don’t eat a whole lot of cold cereal either but I do love Kashi Go Lean and Barbara’s Puffins (addicting!!! – caution don’t consume straight from the box!). I’ve always wondered how adding almond butter to cold cereal would be – do you just put in a gob of it or melt it to spread around a little?? Also, you said you don’t eat much bread – do you watch your wheat/gluten intake because of digestion/intolerance/carbs or do you just prefer other sources? Thanks! (also I see some other great blogs on here that I’m looking forward to checking out!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 7:56 am

Hey Jen,I just blob the nut butter on top of my cereal mess, but Trader Joe’s PB is great as it’s a bit more runny. It makes for more of a drizzling topper rather than a blob.

I watch my wheat/gluten intake for some hormone imbalances I have, and I try to avoid any foods that might cause inflammation. Other than that, wheat doesn’t seem to bother me. Thank goodness b/c warm pita bread is my downfall. :)

Naomi October 11, 2009 at 8:15 am

LOOOVE cereal but I too, tend to eat an entire box in a day (welt not really but WAY more than I probably should be eating) there is no breakfast that fills me up like oatmeal! BUT I do love cold cereal esp kashi!! your bowl looks delish! :)

enjoy your day heather!

N.D. October 11, 2009 at 11:10 am

You still have nuttzo – this means I have a real problem! AHh.
Can’t wait to try the oat recipe.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 1:21 pm

N.D. I only have a little Nuttzo left. I’ll be so sad when it’s all gone. If it makes you feel any better, since my Nuttzo arrived, I’ve gone through 2 jars of tahini and half a jar of almond butter. So, no you don’t have a problem. :)

Samantha October 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Does Deb have the recipe for her pumpkin pie almond butter posted?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 11, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Sam, No, but here are the ingredients:organic almonds, pinch of olive oil, sprinkle of stevia and salt, pumpkin pie spice, maple powder. I’m sure you could replicate it. So good!

Marianne October 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Made the oat groat bread. Loved it!!! Got to make a new batch soon…oh so easy! Hubby said it tasted like church bread but I was okay with that…more for me! I will have to try with millet as well.

Thanks!
Marianne in Auburn land!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Marianne, So glad you like it. I can’t believe how easy it is. Just make sure and stick with oat groats or millet. I tried it with raw buckwheat groats, and it turned into purple rubber. I ate two pieces and gave the rest to the dogs. They loved it. :)

Mandy October 16, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Love your blog, Heather! The bread recipe is great. I’ve been making it with millet and cinnamon instead of stevia. It still has a nice sweet taste, but I imagine some savory options too. I threw in a dash of cayenne to see what that would be like. Good, but doesn’t complement the coconut oil so well;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Mandy, I know – I love this bread. I need to try cinnamon. Made it with quinoa today, and so good. I was pleasantly surprised as my last batch with buckwheat turned out kind of nasty. Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a good weekend. Love, Heather

Sana October 16, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Hey Heather! So I made the bread and it didn’t really come out that great. I think 1 TBSP was too much coconut oil for me…it came out really oily. Also, the stevia gave it a really weird taste. I wonder what I did wrong, i followed your recipe to the T. The only thing I changed was that I used a square pan instead of a round one. But yours seems to have a different texture in the picture than mine :/ I wonder if I can try using some Agave instead to make the bread.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Sana,What type of grain did you use? The original recipe does not call for stevia, but when I made it without, I thought it needed a little sweetness. Nix the stevia and try it with agave or honey. Sorry it didn’t turn out – did you grind the grain into a flour first and then add the water? Hmm, I hope your next batch is better – maybe use less oil?

Sana October 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Hey Heather!! Thanks for replying to quickly :D I used oatgroats and I did grind them. I guess maybe they were not ground into flour? Maybe I should try putting them in the coffee grinder after I soak and dry them? I’ll try again tomorrow and let you know! I need a good quick bread recipe to replace all the expensive ezekiel bread i buy for sandwiches to take to school!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 17, 2009 at 5:59 am

Sana, I’ve got another batch of quinoa in the oven right now. Didn’t soak and was much easier to grind. Plus, I noticed I never use a TBSP to measure out my coconut oil – just a regular spoon, and I probably only use 1/2 to 3/4 TBSP. I hear ya on the Ezekiel thing. Do you live near a Trader Joe’s? Their sprouted grain bread is much cheaper. Enjoy your weekend! Love, H.

Becky October 17, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Hey Heather,
I was wondering if there would be a substitute for the coconut oil? I don’t have any….but really want to make this! Not sure if olive oil would taste that good in it…. Thanks in advance!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 17, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Becky, Hmm, olive oil would probably make a really good savory version, and I bet it would be great dipped in marinara or spread with pesto. The coconut oil makes it kind of sweet. Let me know if you try it.

Sarah October 18, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Hi Heather,
I’m a foodie blog lurker (not having a blog of my own) and tried out my version of your oat groat bread last night. Let’s just say: FAIL. It was my first time ever using oat groats and I didn’t want to turn the oven on, so I used a personal-size skillet thinking I could cover it up and let it “bake” for a while. I added raw carob powder, crushed vanilla bean, and too much sea salt to season. Basically it came out as an under-cooked, odd-tasting pancake. Unfortunately, my tummy wasn’t too happy with me all night. Maybe too much going on?

Anyway, enough about my poor improvising skills… I actually wanted to ask about cooking with coconut oil. This was only the second time I’ve cooked with it. The first time I did, I was starting up some garlic and onions for a soup and definitely burned the garlic. When cooking with coconut oil, do you notice that it tends to cook things much faster than, say, olive oil? Also, any suggestions for making this bread in a toaster oven? Being a poor college student I try to save energy when I can and thus try to avoid turning on the oven for small things.

Thanks!!
Sarah

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 19, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Hey Sarah,Thanks for delurking.

Under-cooked odd tasting pancake, huh? So sorry as all the ingredients you used sounded great. If you try it again, soak the grains, but don’t worry about drying them too much. I noticed that when they are less dry the bread turns out better.

As far as cooking with coconut oil goes, I’ve been using it for so long that I don’t remember it if cooks faster than olive oil. Both oils are good for high heat cooking – might have something to do with the different smoking point temps. I say stick with the coconut oil…just keep in mind that your veggies will cook faster. Yay, you can eat sooner. :)

Toaster oven bread…I don’t see why not. Can you fit a little glass dish in your toaster oven? That should work – just melt the coconut oil in there first and then add bread mixture and bake. Hope it works! Hope you have a good week Sarah. Love, Heather

Sarah October 18, 2009 at 9:49 pm

P.S. – You said you didn’t soak the quinoa? If I wanted to try it, I would just throw some dry quinoa in my coffee/spice grinder? Hmm…

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 19, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Sarah,Yeah, don’t do that. The bread turned out really dry & rubbery. :(

julia September 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm

yeah, got this recipe from my brother (who has been one of your blog lurkers since he heard about us making our own nut butters with our magic bullet. pistaccio—MMMMMMM! best ever.) i knew last night i wanted to make this in the morning, but didn’t chance to look at the recipe (it’s only millet right, how much prep could it need?). anyway, then it was morning & made the executive decision to make the bread w/o soaking the millet (even though we had boiled water for tea and could have tried a quick-soak). dry and rubbery it was! though still pretty tasty. using 1 Tbsp of honey instead of stevia, olive instead of coconut, and adding some fresh sage just b/c we have a lot of it (& i love sweet/savory w sage)–cooking it in our new pretty casserole dish. we said, “well maybe you do have to soak the millet”, decided to read comments (looking for rice-cooker oat recipe–oatmeal is my usual breakfast) and at the very end i found the confirmation i needed. will definitely try soaking the millet! + maybe doubling the recipe?

p.s. if you care to say more about your hormone-balancing, i am interested. my email address is doula.julia@gmail.com

julia September 5, 2010 at 1:21 pm

p.p.s. we decided at brunch that the twisted version we made could not be called bread. so we brainstormed and went through: baked millet (boring), millet pie (for the shape of the pieces), the mullet (rubbery millet pulverized in our magic bullet). and settled on “millet patty-cake” :) better bread next time!

HEAB September 5, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Julia,
Millet patty-cake…I love it! So sorry your first attempt was a bit rubbery, but I loved your savory take on the bread. Yes, you must soak and add all the water even though it seems like it will be way too much. I haven’t made the bread in forever, but it’s so good with the coconut oil. However, I don’t think I would want to double the batch as I’ve found it’s best to eat it fresh from the oven…although I’ve never tried freezing it. That may work better that just keeping it in the fridge.

As far as balancing hormones go, I’m all for eating a diet higher in fat, including saturated fats and little to no sugar. At least that is what seems to work best for my body. Never hesitate to email me if you have questions and thanks so much for reading HEAB – well, thanks to your brother I guess I should say. ;)

P.S. I got the millet bread recipe from a reader, but it’s originally from the cookbook, Mother Necessity Gluten Free/ Casein Free Recipes by Cristin Fergus. I’ve been meaning to try and find the book myself…I think I’ll look and see if my library stocks it. Hope your 2nd batch is better!

{ 10 trackbacks }