There's A New Burger In Town

by HEAB on October 12, 2009

Burger HEAB style - no bread and served atop a mound 'o veggies.

Burger HEAB style - sans bread and served atop a mound 'o veggies.

Many thanks to Kimberly for telling me about these Artichoke Burgers, and many thanks to Valerie at Five Star Foodies for sending me the following samples.

artichokeburgers_02save-a-chicken_salad_02

I was anxious to try both the burgers and the chicken salad after reading the list of ingredients. Although both contain a bit of sugar, it’s not much, and no soy! Both are gluten-free as well.

I pan fried my burger in a little coconut oil in my cast iron skillet. It came out perfect, slightly crisp on the outside, and the inside tasted like creamy artichoke dip. Seriously. Mmmm. Watch out Sunshine Burgers!

The Save A Chicken Salad is made with artichoke hearts as well, along with cashews. I’ll be honest. The calorie content freaked me out a bit as the small 6 ounce container I received contained 360 calories. However, a little goes a long way, and I spread it out over 3 servings.

Chicken salad on homemade oat bread with steamed broccoli and roasted kabocha.

Chicken salad on homemade oat bread with steamed broccoli and roasted kabocha.

Delicious. Creamy with a very strong celery taste – just like I prefer my actual chicken salad.

Thanks again to the folks at Five Star Foodies. I’m very impressed with your products, and I wish they were available in stores. However, for now they are only available online.

OK off to squeeze in a yoga class before my first client. I’m trying a new one today – Creative Flow.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!

Diana October 12, 2009 at 8:15 am

That burger looks so good!
Have a great Monday, you too. :)

Evan Thomas October 12, 2009 at 8:16 am

Artichoke and cashew seem to make a really interesting new product. I’ll keep an eye out for these now

Erica October 12, 2009 at 8:20 am

oh my gosh- artichoke burgers? I need to get these for Josh! Thank you for bringing these to my attention

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 12, 2009 at 8:26 am

I’m definitely emailing that company right now, because both of those sound awesome, and like the fiance would leave them alone! Have a great Monday HEAB-y!!!
p.s. Caught fiance with a spoon in the Nutzzo… and its gone now :(

MelissaNibbles October 12, 2009 at 8:30 am

I need those in my life. I love anything artichoke!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

Thanks for the review, and thanks to Kimberly for the heads up! I have yet to purchase Sunshine Burgers b/c the sodium content freaks me out. These look better. And seeds…well, I am that into seeds/nuts which many alternative-burgers are (the ones that aren’t soy of course). But artichokes are RIGHT up my alley!!! And no seeds! Wow, thanks. This may be worth breaking down and buying. For your own chicken-less salad, my sweet Heather, I am probably not telling you anything dear but just soak 1/2 c of almonds + 1/2 c cashews (or whatever nuts you want) for a couple hours, blend in Vita with celery, seasonings, herbs, etc and nut pate, i.e. chickenless salad is instantly born.

xoxo
averie

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 11:52 am

Thanks Averie, I’ve made some nut pates, but none with chicken salad flavoring. On my to-try list for sure! Hope you’re having a good day. Love, H.

Janna October 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

I want I want! I love artichokes. I must have some of these!

VeggieGirl October 12, 2009 at 8:32 am

What a fun product! Glad to see it’s soy-free :)

Jessica October 12, 2009 at 8:34 am

Ohmigosh I LOVE artichokes! One of the few veggies I love! I gotta try this!

Lauren October 12, 2009 at 8:48 am

I enjoy seeing all your new eats and I enjoy even more reading how you don’t eat meat but don’t fill your diet with all these crazy soy products! I eat meat but like to have a few vegetarian meals a week getting protein from beans and nuts rather than a soy burger or “chikn patty” Go Heabs!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 11:51 am

Lauren, I’m the same way. I do eat some meat, but not a lot. Love discovering soy-free vegan goodies!

Lauren October 12, 2009 at 8:50 am

P.S. I totally used to eat those and thought they were tasted good, but no more for me! ;)

hayleycepeda October 12, 2009 at 8:55 am

Looks delicious Heather!! I just bought some coconut oil the other day and I can’t wait to try it out. :)

Marisa (Trim The Fat) October 12, 2009 at 9:03 am

That burger looks so good! I love anything with artichokes!

Love the name of the “chicken” salad – LOL!

Gina October 12, 2009 at 9:23 am

Wow, both those products sound awesome! Reminds me I should buy some artichokes, haven’t had them in awhile :)

Jessie October 12, 2009 at 9:28 am

I love artichokes, so I bet I would really enjoy both of these products. They look pretty awesome, where can I find them? Love that they are vegan too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 14, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Jessie,The artichoke burgers are only available online: http://www.fivestarfoodies.com/artichokeburgers.html. They are pretty awesome. :)

Rosey Rebecca October 12, 2009 at 9:59 am

Those sound amazing!! I want to try them!

Susan October 12, 2009 at 10:00 am

I love artichokes!!! I especially like the looks of that “chicken salad.” What a great idea to use that as a base.

Marissa October 12, 2009 at 10:04 am

Those look tasty. I might have to try to make my own as there are 2 ingredients that don’t work with my wacky ways!

oh kabocha, my love!

24carrots October 12, 2009 at 10:07 am

Thanks for the review. I wish all products were available in stores – for some reason I am so averse to ordering food online. I guess I’ll have to wait…

In regards to your last post – about HEAB’s Place – I think you have a great idea for a business!

Teresa October 12, 2009 at 10:22 am

Cool! I’ve never heard of anyone making burgers out of artichokes. I’d love to try these products. Thanks for sharing. Although I think my favorite part of this post is the Kabocha (YUM). I just bought a kabocha yesterday at the Farmer’s Market and the farmer said he finds it best to “slow cook” it whole and unpeeled at lower temps. He said to roast it at 275F until the whole house smells wonderful (his words not mine, haha), which takes longer but apparently is “totally worth it.” He actually told me to take a nice bath while I was waiting- gotta say that might be the strangest advice I’ve ever been given by a farmer at the market!

Oh and I’m just catching up on your posts. In regards to the HEAB’s Place post, you can bet that I’d be your first customer! I love the idea.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 11:49 am

Teresa, I’m going to try roasting my kabocha that way. At least it will be easier to cut open. Please tell the farmer thanks from me. :)

courtney October 12, 2009 at 10:28 am

Oh my goodness, what a great find! I have had a love affair with the green box of Sunshine burgers for quite some time, but these look awesome. Artichokes are probably my favorite meal to make with my husband! I thought I would mention last night our dinner was a bit inspired by you, ha ha! Roasted veggies and quinoa with tahini, hot mustard and agave dressing! Thanks for all of your great ideas Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 11:48 am

Courtney, Can I come over for dinner? ;)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 12, 2009 at 10:29 am

Wow, those products sound amazing! I would like to try them myself :) Thanks for the reviews.

Gena (Choosing Raw) October 12, 2009 at 11:14 am

Wow! This will be perfect for clients who are over sunshine burgers!!! Thank you Heaths!!

Shelby October 12, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I’ll have to keep my eye out for those yummy products! I love how you pan-fried it in coconut oil. My new fav way to eat everything! I’m so glad you introduced me to it :)

Liz October 12, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Heather I was curious why you avoid soy? Is it because you avoid GMO products…which I believe a lot of soy is nowadays…or is it for another health reason?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Liz,I was a vegetarian for about 5 years – no meat, no fish, and very little dairy. I always had stomach problems (read horrible gas), but I figured it was from all the veggies I ate. Then one night at a party, I went to town on a block of baked tofu…like I ate the entire thing. My stomach started gurgling that night, and I was bent over for the next three days. Misery! I added meat back into my diet, and did not touch soy products for 3 years. Recently tried incorporating them back into my diet. One week of tofu puddings and faux sausage patties was a BAD idea. So, now I try and avoid them. Even energy bars/cereals with soy protein isolate really bother me.

However, fermented soy products like miso and tempeh don’t bother me – something about the fermentation process making the proteins easier to digest.

fartygirl October 12, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I just checked their website. Is that seven dollars for ONE burger? It can’t be. Although they do look worth it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Fartygirl,I believe it’s $7 for a bag of 4. They are good, but definitely not worth $7 apiece. :)

Rose October 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Artichoke burgers! Never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the review :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie October 12, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I love veggie burger salads! It is the only way I eat them! Looking into that company now, thanks.

missyrayn October 12, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I love burger alternatives. I actually don’t even like real burgers. I might have to search these out as an alternative.

glidingcalm October 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm

oh wowie! those look yummy! I want to try!! thanks HEAB!!

N.D. October 12, 2009 at 5:36 pm

these sound great! I tried the oat groats bread and it was AWESOME! Just froze some pom cubes too. They don’t look as refreshing as yours – very deep dark – do you dilute? thanks for the recipes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 5:43 pm

N.D. So glad you liked the bread. I made it with buckwheat groats this morning. It was um, interesting. Kind of purple, and it got real rubbery. I’m going to stick with oat groats and millet! Nope, didn’t dilute the POM cubes. May have just been the lighting when I took the picture. Hope you have a good night!

Erin October 12, 2009 at 5:58 pm

SO yummy! Artichokes are my current veggie obsession. Thanks for the review and the recipe idea! :)

peaceandpeanutbutter October 12, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Gosh that burger sounds delicious!

psychoj1 October 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Mmm, the burger looks great! Love your HEAB style burger :)

<3 jess
xoxo

jacobc October 12, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Is that burger yellow? Regardless, it looks awesome, especially how you cooked it! Gonna have to get kroger to up their frozen food selections!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 12, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Jacob,Yeah, it was a yellowish brown burger. Good too!

Pure2Raw twins October 12, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing that information about those products. I have never heard of them. And I am gluten and soy free as well!

broccolihut October 12, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Love the sounds of that salad–delish!

Tiffany S. October 12, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Yum yum yum – but why must they add the sugar??? I don’t get it. I suppose they’ll have some “balancing the flavor” answer (like I do with salt) but it shows up in everything – if it’s not sugar, it’s corn and if it’s not that it’s agave!

I don’t have time to make everything from scratch. Love that there’s no soy. We’re getting closer to our perfect world! Great find Heabs!

veganfritz October 13, 2009 at 7:01 am

wow, that looks mighty fine.

Tina October 13, 2009 at 7:09 am

I looove artichokes, I want to try that burger!

Julie October 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

Artichoke burgers?! YUM. Where can I find these little gems???

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

Julie, The artichoke burgers are only available online: http://www.fivestarfoodies.com/artichokeburgers.html

Meredith October 13, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Those products look great! Artichokes are yummy for sure :)

Tabitha October 14, 2009 at 7:12 am

I’d love to try the artichoke burger. I really love the way you put food together, it’s all my favourite things, I’m just too lazy to do it.

{ 1 trackback }