Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

by HEAB on October 13, 2009

Morning. :)

So, I’ve come to realization about my yoga practice.  Back in my crazy workout days, (read the last 8 to 9 years of my life), whenever I took a yoga class, it had to be the most challenging one offered.  In fact, it turns out the class that got me interested in yoga was a Level 3 Ashtanga class. I was taking it once a week in addition to all  my running and strength training.  It was intense, and I was always extremely sore the next day…of course, I often ran 30 minutes of sprint intervals on the treadmill prior to class (so unnecessary Heather!). It was a great class, but in my brain, every yoga class had to give me that intense feeling of a good calorie burn.  If I wasn’t sweating or cursing the teacher under my breath while she kept us in Chair Pose just a little too long, then it wasn’t a class for me.

Things are different now.  Back in January, I committed myself to deepening my practice, and I am truly in love with yoga. However, my mindset is completely different when it comes to my favorite classes.  In the beginning, it was all about movement and toning mixed with a lot of sweat.  I still enjoy a good challenge, but that doesn’t mean I need to be jumping all over my mat flowing from handstand into Chaturanga while a techno version of The Jeffersons theme song is blaring in the background.  Yes, I went to a class like that, and no, I don’t think George and Weezy would have approved. ;)

Now I prefer slower Vinyasa classes, and trust me, they are still a great workout! Yoga tones every muscle in your body, and all muscles are constantly working, even in Mountain Pose. (Right Pol?).  Many of you have written me saying you just don’t feel like yoga is a good workout, but it so is.  Again, I need to feel challenged, and I know many of you do as well.  Just know that doesn’t mean you always have to find the most difficult yoga class out there, okay?

I made a new recipe.  Wanna see it?

Wild Mahi Mahi with Banana Salsa

Wild Mahi Mahi with Banana Ketchup

Justine told me about this amazing dish a few weeks ago, and as soon as she posted the recipe, I made it.  I swapped wild Mahi Mahi for the tilapia and skipped the quinoa, opting for a bed of veggies instead.   CD and I both loved it, and during dinner, I was telling him that Justine is always posting the most amazing recipes from Clean Eating Magazine.  CD, when are you going to get me a subscription?

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

Why would I do that?  Just keep reading Justine’s blog. :)

Tiffany S. October 13, 2009 at 8:15 am

I just broke down and subscribed to Clean Eating – I even ordered a couple back issues. It’s ridick expensive compared to other mags but I was feeling the shopping weakness. Ahem, makes a good gift, CD!

I hear ya on the yoga – My sis-in-law is where you used to be workout-wise (she’s only had pregnancy weight to lose) and she’s doing HOT yoga like a fiend, but she’s given up weight lifting. We all have to find our own path.

I’m trying Zumba next week and will probably go back to yoga in the spring.

Banana ketchup. Wow.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 13, 2009 at 8:27 am

I really think I need to get into yoga, even if its just a little bit. I can’t really afford a studio, or even a park district class right now, but theres more than enough options on my cable or online. I’ve been finding myself stressed out and dreading a workout. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 13, 2009 at 9:28 am

I need to check out Clean Eating!!

I love what you said about your yoga practice. It’s something I really want to “hone” and I think I’m going to make it a goal in the next month or so.

I love the way yoga makes my body and mind feel and you are right, it doesn’t always have to be the hardest class. If we are engaging our muscles correctly, even the “simplest” poses can do some major work :)

Have a great day!

Lara (Thinspired) October 13, 2009 at 9:32 am

It sounds like your yoga journey has now become more about enjoyment rather than putting crazy pressure on yourself to push to the limits. I think that’s a nice way to approach these things…joy should be a component :)

I saw that dish on Justine’s blog and now seeing it twice really makes me hungry for it! I would LOVE a Clean Eating subscription! Every healthy foodie’s dream, right? :)

VeggieGirl October 13, 2009 at 10:15 am

I’ve actually been moving too fast in yoga lately… eek! Now I’m sore as hell :(

Dawn October 13, 2009 at 10:40 am

It seems to me that it’s all about intention. The
thing I love about your philosophy, HEAB, is that
you focus on sucking the marrow out of the
momentary experience. Whether we do that in yoga
or while savoring kabocha, our bodies and spirits
smile YES.

Thanks for this and all of your inspiring words.

livingfreeforever October 13, 2009 at 10:51 am

SO true about the yoga! I have realized that I am a very competitive person(with myself) and push too hard sometimes. I am trying to learn that yoga is NOT about how far I can go or how intense I ‘think’ it should feel. I went to my first Svaroopa yoga class last week and LOVED it. I realized then that I am not very good at softening and just letting my body relax–I’m always trying to WORK! UGH!

Mahi Mahi looks great!

Jessica October 13, 2009 at 11:21 am

I am trying to find that balance with my yoga practice.

I practice all of my yoga at home & I was feeling like sometimes I would not even start because I did not have a full hour to commit.

I am now deciding that even if it is just 20 minutes of yoga, I need it! It makes me happy : )

Jen October 13, 2009 at 11:38 am

After years of finally wanting to start yoga…I finally did in April 09 and I’ve lost 25 lbs and am more toned than I’ve ever been in my life. Yoga (fast and slow) has absolutely done wonders for not only my body, but my mind. Yoga is an amazing workout!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 11:59 am

Jen, I loved hearing this. Awesome!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) October 13, 2009 at 11:40 am

Love your thoughts on your yoga practice!! I had a similar experience…went for the burn, stayed for all the yumminess that yoga is =) Sometimes the most challenging classes ARE the slow ones! I’m always amazed by that! Much love to you, H.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Courtney, Have I ever told you how wise I think you are? :)

gina (fitnessista) October 13, 2009 at 11:57 am

that dish looks glorious! i love clean eating and am so happy they’re started to include more veg and fish meals in there.
as i’ve already told ya, i’m working on getting out of the “every workout has to kill you” mentality. i did a lunar flow on sun night and was so agitated when it didn’t made me sweat. i realized it was more of a metal workout than anything else and your body needs that, too!
have a wonderful day!

Jessica October 13, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Banana ketchup?? OMG I want to try!

Evan Thomas October 13, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Banana ketchup sounds so nifty!

brandi October 13, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I love Clean Eating, too – they have some of the best recipes!

I love your approach to yoga and activity, in general.

The Foodie Diaries October 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Love this post, Heather. I feel like my current approach to yoga is very similar to how you used to be; I love the sweatiness and intensity of Bikram. And I sort of feel like I don’t have the tranquility or patience to really enjoy a calmer yoga class. I’m going to try to branch out and really fall in love :)

Gina October 13, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I love yoga. One of my instructors told me that every pose in yoga is an ACTIVE pose. I try to think about that while I am practicing, until of course that final corpse pose.

I had hopes of doing yoga most days for my workout, but the class times don’t seem to be meshing with my new work schedule…unfortunate. I don’t start until next week, so I’ll have to see how it works out.

polly October 13, 2009 at 12:27 pm

hi lovie! hehe the Jeffersons… movin’ on up!! :D

Girl… I am guessing many girls are in fact afraid. I was. I was afraid to try it, to stop running, to stop relying on cardio to give “permission” to eat, to stop old thought patterns, to stop assuming that I needed to WORKOUT to be healthy when in fact life is quite the workout and moving and breathing and really paying attention to your body IS a workout. Just allowing your body to rest. Afraid to rest. Afraid to take a day off. or a WEEK off? Are you crazy? I was afraid, too. I was afraid I’d gain weight, get mushy, be depressed, and turn into a potato. Did that happen?

NOT ON YOUR LIFE.

No running? No weight? No cardio? What happened?

Got stroner, leaner, healthier, happier, SMARTER. Got more rest. got more time on my hands. Got more brain space. Got un-sore. (okay, I still get sore, but it AIN’T from moving too fast!!) Got just a tad more life experience and got…

PROOF. :)

XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Polly, You are so right. It’s such a place of fear for so many girls – to just let go and trust. I know I’ve told you this before, but your past struggles with exercise have been such an inspiration for me – how you’ve overcome that *gotta get in my hour of cardio everyday* mentality. I still have my struggles, but I’m getting there. We’ll be balance someday, right? Just keep trusting. :) Love you P!

JENNA October 13, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Yoga is so great because everyone has a different story/experience to tell. I love that you are encouraging us to slow down and enjoy it for all its worth.

I love CD’s comment. Such a guy comment.

glidingcalm October 13, 2009 at 12:49 pm

SIGH, the learning process never really ends I guess?! Which is the hardest thing, and the most amazing thing….at the same time. Weird.

I love you HEAB!!

hurray for seafood too!!

carolinebee October 13, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Ahh so wise :D I gotta slow it down. Have a great day Heath!!

Kath October 13, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Great yoga comments HEAB :) I had to look at yoga as something other than exercise and then I started to love it more and more.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 13, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Good thoughts, HEAB! Letting go of these exercise myths is hard, but considering I haven’t gained a pound since relaxing all my self-imposed rules, I think it’s worth it! I just go about my business and stay active how I like! It’s a habit and it’s great and that’s all it is. :)

Banana ketchup is intriguing. And mahi mahi holds a special place in my heart because it was the first fish I ever worked up the balls to try and have enjoyed fish ever since!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Diana, Same with me. I hated all seafood growing up and tried mahi mahi in college. It’s been a love affair ever since. :)

Katie October 13, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Great words of encouragement! In the past, you really helped me to discover that yoga IS a great exercise and it benefits every part of our bodies. Now, I hope that more people listen to you because obviously you are living proof of how amazing it is. I have already noticed a difference in my muscles and all over energy and strength, just by doing a short session of yoga each morning after waking up. I hope to deepen my practice as soon as I can. Yoga is truly invigorating and inspiring!

24carrots October 13, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on yoga. I really love yoga and I used to devote a lot of time to my practice (including a 40 minute commute each way to my favorite studio in NYC). However, I guilt myself about it not being enough of a workout and taking so much time, so I stopped going. Your post makes me think about all the benefits of yoga including the workout aspect. Thank you.

Rebecca October 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I have tried yoga so many times but maybe I need to go to an actual studio and not the classes offered by my gym. I just don’t feel like I’m doing anything, or getting much of a work out. I have never had the experiences of “a good calorie burn” at the classes I’ve been to…

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Rebecca, Ditch the gym classes and try a studio. I know they are pricey, but I never loved yoga until I started to going to classes in a studio setting. Makes such a difference!

on the rocks October 13, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I’ve only tried yoga a handful of times, but I always got impatient and bored. Do you suggest any types/online classes?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 3:30 pm

On the Rocks Hmm, sounds like you might gravitate to the more challenging classes. Try some Ashtanga or hot vinyasa flow classes. I promise you will not get bored, and you will definitely feel it the next day. Also, if you can afford a studio, I’d recommend that over online classes. I can only do shorter online classes – usually 30 minutes max, or else every little fuzzball on my floor grabs my attention, and I cannot concentrate. However, if you prefer online classes, try this sequence that Maggie posted. I love it, and it’s a great workout: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga-sequence/

leslie October 13, 2009 at 2:01 pm

it’s funny, i just did a post on this last week, how i needed to remember to include easy yoga classes each week, or it would become just as disordered as my relationship with running became. your journey from running to yoga has really been inspirational to me. i totally agree that every class, no matter the level or speed, works every muscle in your body. i’ve been absolutely amazed at the strength i’ve built in the few months since i started seriously practicing. it’s really nice to hear your continued love of a cardio-free, yoga-heavy life – i feel like such a minority in the sea of cardio-loving bloggers. thanks for the wise words, as always!

DiningAndDishing October 13, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I absolutely HATE ketchup – but banana ketchup? I am interested!! Looks delish :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 13, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Hi Heather I think it’s great that you’ve evolved to where *you* need to be with your practice in the here and *now*. No doubt as life changes, as your body changes, as pressures, commitments, and the pattern of life changes, so does one’s yoga practice. And if we are honoring our commitment to yoga and to ourselves, then we ALLOW our practice to change and you certainly have, and that’s awesome!

That said, as a yoga teacher, I totally encourage everyone to find a style of yoga that works for them and just take it one class at a time.

I am an ashtanga devotee but that doesn’t mean I do the whole primary series every day. But I used to. Before I had a small child and had 2+ hrs a day to devote to my practice. I wouldnt trade those times for the world and look back on them fondly but life has changed and so I just grab whatever yoga I can every day…as is evidenced by whatever yoga shot I put up on my blog that day :)

Anyway thank you for honoring yourself and the practice. Om shanti shanti shanti.

The banana ketchup looks great too. I told Justine that when she posted it a few days back. Yum!

xoxo
namaste :)
averie

Justine October 13, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Heabers!! Thanks for the love dahlin!

You are such a wise YOUNG lady. I just love how you are so cool, calm and mellow about things. Your the ying to my yang :) hahaha

Need me some HEABS time!! We need to do that walk before it gets to cold.

LoVe YoU!!
Justine

Shelby October 13, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I need to get going on the yoga again, I’ve fallen so out of touch! But I really do prefer a fast, hard workout. Maybe I’ll try hot yoga or something harder. I need a challenge!

missyrayn October 13, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I’ve come to learn this lately too. I used to think that I had to go full force or it wasn’t really a workout. Yesterday I just decided I needed to get to the gym and do something even if it wasn’t training my brains out. I actually enjoyed it! And I enjoyed just a nice 30 minutes of sun salutations the other day too. SOmetimes it’s just better to enjoy it instead of cursing the instructor :-)

RunToTheFinish October 13, 2009 at 3:26 pm

It is so true that the slow yoga poses also work you out! Now that I’ve moved (ha unpacked no) I am working on getting yoa in to my day. It was the perfect 15 minute break today while working from home.

Chelsea D. October 13, 2009 at 3:35 pm

OMG. I’ve made the banana ketchup before, it is heaven!

justrun October 13, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Oh, you are so right on about this. Just yesterday I went to a noon class at my studio that was recently changed from a “power” class to just a Vinyasa I. People were so upset, and then one woman just spoke up and said “you know, you can make a ‘one’ as hard as you want it to be.” How right she is, and I’m so glad to hear other people say it. I’ve learned so much in the last four months about myself through yoga and on days when I can do absolutely nothing as “well” as I usually can, I will somehow grow in a pose that I couldn’t even attempt a week ago. It’s a strange, wonderful thing. And I never worry about the calories after feeling so victorious on what would have otherwise been a very boring 60 or 90 minutes.

Whew! Sorry to babble! :)

Marcia October 13, 2009 at 4:16 pm

You inspired me to try yoga last week, and I loved it. It’s a RussaYog class (yoga with a rope). So it’s challenging, but had a lot of relaxing parts in-between (it’s not a hardcore hour).

I feel so relaxed when I come out of there, and it’s helping stretch me out for my runs. I am even going to get my spouse to try it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Marcia,I’ve heard of the yoga rope classes have yet to try one. I think there is a studio in town that offers them. I’ll have to look into it. So happy to hear you tried it.

Bekah October 13, 2009 at 4:18 pm

These were just more positive words I needed to hear in relation to my yoga practice! Thanks Heab!

Also, might I add your “CD Random Comment of the Day” never fails to make me chuckle. Imagining you guys at your dining room table always puts a smile on my face.

Samantha October 13, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Ohh that dish sounds interesting! I rarely cook my own fish but might have to try. LOVE Clean Eating…it’s a great mag. I don’t subscribe anymore because it gets to the NEX long before my house in the mail, even if it costs more. But I buy it faithfully and have found many go to meals there.

Thanks for sharing about your practice. I think to grow and deepen their practice, one MUST take time to restore and turn inward some, not just sweat and quiver. :) And with that…I’m off to yoga!

the dainty pig October 13, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Music to my ears, dear Heather!
Such true advice!

charlotte October 13, 2009 at 4:47 pm

So you just described me to a tee. Even pregnant I have refused to scale back to “just” the hatha class, insisting on doing the regular power yoga classes I’ve always done. But you are right (“so unnecessary!”). I really needed to read this.

Nicole October 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I’ve been having issues about yoga but it’s not that I don’t think it is a good enough workout–I know how amazing yoga is. My problem is … well, slowing down. There’s something about stopping to do a yoga DVD, download, or class that intimidates me. maybe part of it is because I can’t clear my head long enough to move from one pose to the next bc Im’ so worried about my form, and then the next thing you know I’m stressing about not knowing the next pose and how much of a fool I must look like to everyone else. Why the hell do I even care? It’s not a competition! (although sometimes I feel like it is–some of the people I’ve been in classes with seem to be there to be “seen” or just to say they were at a yoga class) I want to be able to enjoy it and for some reason I end up either worrying or laughing at some of the noises people make. (sorry lol..) but it’s all because I can’t let myself GO. Uptight? yes. I would love to be able to add yoga in my life regularly but I’ve built up some kind of anxiety about it…it really sucks too. UGH!

Anyway…your dinner looks fabulous. Banana ketchup? Yes please! And I loved CD’s comment of the day. Priceless (he has a point though ;) )

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Nicole,I do not like those classes that feel really competitive. One of my teachers once told me there is no competition in yoga – I have to remind myself of that often.

I sent you a text today – did you get it? I got some weird response on my phone when I sent it about it going to a landline. Did I enter you number right in my phone?

Just been thinking about ya. Hope all is well. -Heather

Simone @ P:T October 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Oh CD, that crazy fellow, Hah! That recipe looks SO delish, I might just try it this weekend when I actually have time to cook. Yum yum.
PS: I am right there with you when it comes to yoga. I actually think I get a BETTER workout form yoga than running, etc. Plus I feel so refreshed and amazing afterwords. Yoga high!

Becky October 13, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Hi Heather – I love your blog! I feel as though I have similar philosophies on food in regards to what foods my body responds better too. I also can easily gain weight off of fruit, which stinks because I love it…. but I have to watch my sugars. I was wondering if you watch the “sugars” in veggies – I usually eat massive amounts of vegetables – they make up the bulk of my diet. I am wondering if I am getting too much sugar from the veggies? The only “high carb” veggie I eat a ton of is butternut squash, other than that – broc, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, zucchini. What is your experience?
Thanks so much for all of the thoughts you share with us every day! Keep up the good work.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 13, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Hey Becky, I never worry about carbs in veggies. I lost all my weight while eating 1 to 2 sweet potatoes everyday. Carrots, sweet potatoes, kabocha, butternut – I eat them all. Are you trying to lose weight? If veggies are your only source of carbs, then I wouldn’t think that would be a problem. That being said, one large sweet potato can have between 300 and 400 calories. Calorie counting websites usually have them listed as 180 calories, but the ones I buy are usally much bigger. Just something to think about.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for reading. :)

Amanda October 13, 2009 at 8:13 pm

LOVE to hear wise words like this from both you and Polly. As much as I love yoga, I am still afraid to cut back too much on the cardio. I know in the back of my mind that it’s kindof crazy that I think this way, so I am just going to keep on reading what you both say and hopefully my subconscious will finally get it soon!!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope October 13, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I love this entry!

joelygolightly October 13, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I must agree with you on yoga.. I always thought it would be far too slow and boring for me- not the challenging workout I always looked forward to. Granted I only really do hot yoga, but it has definitely changed not only my body, but also (and more importantly?) my outlook on working out, fitness, etc.

peaceloverunning October 14, 2009 at 2:32 am

im going to my frist yoga class tomorrow afternoon and im excited!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 14, 2009 at 7:14 am

Peaceloverunning, Exciting. Please let me know how it goes.

marla October 14, 2009 at 7:07 am

I love that you have such a following! The clean, healthy, yummy meals that you prepare are right in line with the way I cook. It is so fun to read your recipes, they are so inspirational!

I come from a very ambitious fitness background as well. In the past I always had to push it to the max in every activity I participated in. These days I am trying to find a more appropriate balance. When I eat right, I don’t need to exercise as hard. When you truly listen to your body you can achieve so much by using a greater focus. I agree with your Yoga thoughts. I used to get bugged by Mountain Pose and now I reap all the benefits!

Jaya October 14, 2009 at 7:48 am

Dear Heather,
Were we sisters in a past life? Well, you were definitely the wiser half! I loved this post and yes, as type A people, it can be especially difficult to be process-oriented when there is always the temptation to seek certain outcomes (kcal burn, sweat, soreness, etc). I really admire your flexibility and sense of self awareness. To be able to recognize when you need change and what change you need takes a really strong sense of intuition!
I began yoga in the first place to get comfortable looking in the mirror and to learn to respect my body through an injury. This relationship with yoga was really a proxy for developing a better love of self and it worked! Now that I’ve scaled back to only doing yoga once or twice per week (usually Polly’s videos in my study!) because of the demands of my sport, I remember that the best aspects of yoga (for me) are the ones that travel with me long after I’ve rolled up the mat.
This is such a great post, and such a meaningful shout out to all women and men who are working toward a greater sense of value for all that is slow and gentle in life.
Jaya :)

Felicia October 14, 2009 at 8:53 am

I’m going to make a long story about myself short in saying that finding your blog (along with others- yoga is yummy, love veggies yoga and chocolate, and more) have helped me change my mentality for the better. I was on a path to destruction to say the least (with a vicious eating cycle and horrible mentality of obsessing over workouts) and reading about your journey to weight loss made me realize that okay, I don’t have to run X amount of miles and be drenched in sweat everyday in order to stay skinny and healthy. I’ve started a new routine full of yoga, weight lifting, biking and walking, and I actually enjoy every moment of it. I’m not coming out of my workouts exhausted and starving, but feeling strong and seeing amazing changes in my body for the better. I feel myself get stronger each time I do yoga which is a great feeling. I also have becoming seriously good at push ups and can’t believe how such a silly little exercise can make my arms, chest, shoulders and back look!
I just wanted to let you know that although this is just a blog and so many come across it and I don’t comment much, you have truly helped me change my way of thinking about food and exercise. I have always been a health nut, but I needed to change some destructive habits I had that have been drilled into my head for so long. It is great to read about others who find their way through other sources of exercise and not the typical hours in the gym. I think diet plays a massive part in how we look and feel about ourselves, and as much as one will workout in a gym or run for miles on end, if your not putting clean, natural foods into your body your not doing yourself any good. Okay so now I’m blabbing, but with a crazy work schedule as an RN doing night shifts and taking care of a family, it is more important than ever to take care of my body and stay happy through stressful times.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that. You’ve helped a young woman hundreds of miles away and you didn’t even know :) Have a great day, I’m always looking forward to what you have up your sleeve!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 14, 2009 at 9:30 am

Felicia,Wow, you are awesome. This email just totally made my day. Your support means a lot – it really does. Very inspiring – thanks for reminding me why I blog. :) Much Love, Heather

courtney October 14, 2009 at 9:46 am

Hi Heather,
I think yoga is the one thing that saved me from over doing the exercise. Granted I still struggle with the feeling that if I am not sweating, I am not burning calories. I did take a slower class and lo and behold, my shoulders and quads were sore the next day. Anyone who feels a little obsessive about exercise should really give yoga a try, it truly quiets the mind.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 14, 2009 at 9:52 am

So true Courtney. I hope others read your comment. :)

Tina October 14, 2009 at 11:02 am

I went to yoga last night and was soo happy to get back to it. Although it is hard for me to accept a workout where I’m not sweating profusely as a workout, I know that yoga definitely does wonders!

Samantha October 14, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I love Polly’s response. I too, was one that kept doing it partially out of fear. Sadly, my fears became reality and I DID pack on the lbs I lose. But even though I’m heavier now, my life has more balance and I am HAPPIER so the extra weight will just have to stay.

Grace October 14, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I went through this same transformation with yoga…The biggest step is getting yourself to relax and realizing that exercise doesn’t have to mean pushing your self to the “n”th degree. Yoga is soo rejuvenating, and you really feel best when it’s done right.
Have you tried hatha yoga? That’s the style I predominantly do and teach. It really works with tuning into the body and letting it be the guide in telling you went to stop pushing yourself too hard.

-Grace

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 14, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Grace, I’ve take one or two Hatha yoga classes, but I would love take more. Just got home from a restorative class. Just what I needed tonight. :)

Erin October 14, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Love this blog, Heather, and LOVE the responses too. It’s amazing how people can have such similar yet such varied experiences with yoga/exercise – physically, mentally, and emotionally! I have also had such a change in my mentality when it comes to exercise, and mainly, food. Much of that change is due to blogs, creating my own (and actually writing about my feelings instead of eating! that was my “so unnecessary!”), picking up running – but also in large part to yoga and the philosophy behind it. I’m letting the fear go in so many ways!

Pure2Raw Twins October 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm

It used to be hard for me to think of yoga as a workout, but lately my mind has changed. I love Vinyasa!! Michelle introduce it to me when I went to visit her in OKC. It was an intense one..I was sore the next day, so to me when you are sore that means you got a good workout!! I feel yoga helps me run better!

CaSaundra October 15, 2009 at 7:01 am

Sounds like a stunning combo!