Gettin' Krazy With Kabocha

by HEAB on October 15, 2009

Have you found kabocha squash yet?  Even Kroger, my local grocery store is now selling it ($.69 a pound – yippee!).  For those of you that don’t know, kabocha is often labeled as Buttercup Squash, and it also goes by the name Japanese Pumpkin.

EDITED TO ADD: I’ve since learned that although similar in taste and appearance, Buttercup and Kabocha squash are indeed 2 different types of squash.  Sorry for any confusion this post may have caused.

Look for me in the produce aisle. Buy me. Eat me. Then email HEAB thanking her.

Look for me in the produce aisle. Buy me. Eat me. Then email HEAB thanking her.

When I first started eating kabocha, I would cut it up into bite sized chunks, steam it, eat some, and then store the rest in the fridge for later.  I swear it starts calling my name as soon as I shut the refrigerator door…Heather, come eat me.  Just one more piece…and anothermaybe one more. Before ya know it,  I’ve eaten 5 pounds of squash. It’s that good, or maybe I’m just a pig. CD, no comment. ;)

Now that Fall is here, I am loving roasted kabocha.  I slice my little pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, and place the halves face down on a cutting board.  I then slice it into strips – about 1/2″ thick and roast on parchment lined baking sheets (usually takes 2) in a 425º oven for 40 minutes.  Comes out perfect every time, and I usually just eat it plain.

This week, I decided to try some new ways of cooking/eating kabocha.

1. Teresa was told by a farmer at her local’s farmer market that the proper way to cook a kabocha squash is to “slow cook” it whole and unpeeled at lower temps.  He said to roast it at 275º until the whole house smells wonderful.  Teresa was kind enough to pass these instructions on to me, and I tried it yesterday.

I have finally found a way to cancel out the steamed broccoli stench.

My house did smell amazing. Finally, a way to cancel out the steamed broccoli stench.

This is by far the easiest method for preparing kabocha squash.  After about 2 hours, it basically fell apart when I cut it in half.  In fact, I may have cooked it too long. The flesh basically steamed cooked, and although it was yummy,  I missed that dry roasted crisp taste.

On the advice of another reader (Hey Dawn!), I decided to doctor up my kabocha up a bit rather than eat it plain.

Sweet Savory Kabocha

Sweet & Savory Kabocha

Dawn recommended pouring unsweetened hemp milk over cooked kabocha with a touch of Celtic sea salt.  Since I didnt’ have any hemp milk on hand, I used So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer. This tasted decadent, and I highly recommend this dish for those of you seeking a healthy dessert. So sweet and so good. Thanks Dawn!

Next up…I’m sure y’all saw this one coming…

Kabocha Ice-Cream

Kabocha Ice-Cream. The green specks are the peel...I'm lazy that way.

This was good, but almost too sweet.  Into the ice-cream maker, went 3 chunks of leftover roasted squash, 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (thanks for the suggestion reader Katie!), 2 stevia packets, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and 1/2 tsp guar gum.  Too much stevia maybe?  I don’t know, but I still think my favorite way to eat kabocha is plain and roasted.

I love it.

I love it, and no, I'm not orange yet. :)

polly October 15, 2009 at 10:52 am

Hi peach!
You are a crazy girl, yep indeed. I LOVE IT. :D

Love you, hope your day is wonderful. Yes… our favorite TV night!!! We are going to DVR the Office as a friend from college is staying over at our house tonight and he’ll arrive during that time. so it will be our DATE NIGHT show tomorrow. :)

Have a spectacular day, my orange friend. :P XOXO Pols

Evan Thomas October 15, 2009 at 11:03 am

I will look out for it. At 69 cents a pound, you can’t really go wrong, right? But what if I don’t want it to cancel out that sweet steamed broccoli smell? Haha

Graze With Me October 15, 2009 at 11:04 am

I’m addicted to the wonderful flavor of roasted kabocha too. I always panic a bit when I run out and quickly run to the store to stock back up. I’m intrigued by the sweet version of it but I too prefer it plain and roasted. Maybe with a little hummus if I’m feeling frisky.

Have a good (non-orange) day!

Jessica October 15, 2009 at 11:06 am

Koboucha ice cream?? OMG! These recipes are so great…I love them because I have no clue what to do with most squash!

Dori October 15, 2009 at 11:07 am

OMG the ice cream! I need thst! I never tired kabocha but I really want to, need to get to Whole Foods at some point. Been so busy! I didn’t realize its other names — I saw Japanese pumpkin sandwich on a menu for a restaurant I am going to in 2 weeks and didn’t realize it is kabocha. Maybe I will order it!

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 15, 2009 at 11:08 am

Kabocha twin!

I’m not even reading your post today. Just drooling over the pics ;)

(Ok, so really I did read)

Love,
Katie

Metta October 15, 2009 at 11:12 am

I didn’t realize kabocha and buttercup were the same squash. I thought they look remarkably the same, but since I’ve only seen kabocha on your blog I didn’t know I’ve been eating the same thing this whole time! My grocer has it labeled buttercup, so delicious and only $0.69 here too.

JessicaR October 15, 2009 at 11:19 am

I had never heard of kabocha until I read your blog. I found some organic kabocha at Whole Foods last week and bought two. Well — I TRIED to buy two. The cashier couldn’t find the price (maybe it was listed under buttercup?), so he gave them to me FREE! I was nearly dancing out the door. I am trying the strip method tonight… I was just roasting them cut in half, but the strips look delicious.

balancejoyanddelicias October 15, 2009 at 11:20 am

hey kabocha sister! great kabocha adventures!!! :D not orange yet? you’re not eating enough then! hahahha… just kidding!

Brandi October 15, 2009 at 11:21 am

no, I haven’t found it yet!!! I’m looking every week, though.

Is it bad that I was a little scared seeing “gettin’ krazy” in your title? I didn’t know what to expect :)

Happy thursday Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 11:26 am

Ha ha Brandi. No, I think that was a perfectly normal reaction to a HEAB post. ;)

Maggie October 15, 2009 at 11:24 am

I’m waiting on the orange :P Mine is toning down a bit, but I miss my favorite squash.

Gonna try the slow cook method. Believe it or not, I actually don’t have a kabocha in the house right now. I do have a big pumpkin though. and some other random squashes. I got a hubbard that looks similar to a kabocha – I didn’t know what hubbard was and I was sad when I cut it open and it was bright orange. If I’m going to OD on beta carotene, I want it to be with kabocha!! So that guy is sitting in the fridge.

misstiffie October 15, 2009 at 11:26 am

kabocha has to be one of my fav squashes :D i just bought some, weeeeeeeeeeee :D every winter i totally od on squash :D

Erica October 15, 2009 at 11:29 am

Fun stuff! I’m really enjoying cuting my squash in half, roasting, and then stuffing with various toppings (beans, veggies, tomato sauce, etc). So delicious and such a great filling meal!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 15, 2009 at 11:30 am

Kabocha at Kroger?! YESSSS!! That’s my local store too, hehe.

The Foodie Diaries October 15, 2009 at 11:34 am

I haven’t tried Kabocha, but I have a feeling that once I do–it might develop into an addiction…

Marissa October 15, 2009 at 11:35 am

My favorite Thai place uses Kabocha in their Pumpkin Curry (which is my FAVORITE dish of course!). I asked our waitress if it was kabocha and she said Yes! She said “you know how to make it right?” and I said yes…she said “you boil it first?” and I said no….I roast it. Apparently for the curry they boil the kabocha before mixing it in with the curry sauce. I am going to try steaming it and also boiling it soon. When I make stew I don’t roast it first. You can also roast the seeds just like other squash seeds, but I haven’t had the time to do that yet. I need to! Very nutritious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Cool Marissa – I was wondering about the seeds. I’ll save them from my next squash.

jesstyler October 15, 2009 at 11:37 am

our grocery store has them too. But they just have a pile of squash and none are labeled as what they are. Frustrating! But now that I know what it looks like, I’ll be sure to pick some up!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) October 15, 2009 at 11:40 am

this looks amazing! I can’t believe you thought of this genious recipe for ICECREAM!

like jesstyler said, my whole foods just has piles and piles of squash ontop of eachother I never know what I am getting! I just got one the other day that i was told was delitica squash! I had no idea until I asked my readers what it was LOL :) can’t wait to try it though!

Christina October 15, 2009 at 11:43 am

We tried kabocha last night (I’m sure Scott will blog about it!) We used a sweet and spicy rub on it and then roasted it. Two thumbs up over here! Hope you’re having a great week :)
XO

Lindsey @ Sound Eats October 15, 2009 at 11:43 am

Sigh. Still searching for Kabocha/ Buttercup squash. I think whenever I find some in a store by me I just may jump up and down and shriek in the store. But that’s normal with fun foodie finds, yes? ;)

Anne P October 15, 2009 at 11:51 am

Yum, I haven’t seen that in the store, but I did have it at a restaurant a couple months ago. Tasty! Do you eat the outer skin?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Anne P,Yes, I eat the outer skin. I never peel my potatoes or squash.

Andrea October 15, 2009 at 11:54 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and your kabocha experiences made me want to try it. Unfortunately there are no asian markets near where I live… so I tried searching my local grocery store to no avail :( . But one day I decided to give a try at a supermarket near my school which has a huge asian population… and I nearly squealed with joy when I found a whole bunch sitting near the acorn squash. I quickly grabbed a small 3 pounder to give it a try. I cut it in wedges and roasted it just like you do…. oh. my. GOD. I FELL IN LOVE. I couldn’t believe the deliciousness that was entering my mouth. I am SO incredibly addicted!!!!! I nearly ate the whole thing in one sitting…. How can a squash be so delicious?!?!?! THANK YOU, HEAB. You may have completed my life by introducing me to kabocha. haha :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Andrea,So glad you found the squash, and I feel the same way. How can it be so delicious? I’ve put away 3 lbs in one sitting several times. You’re not alone. :)

greenbean October 15, 2009 at 11:58 am

Don’t joke about turning orange, you just might :) I did. This summer. Too many carrots and sweet potatoes. My friend looked at my palms and said, “why are you so orange!” I hadn’t noticed both my hands and feet were incredibly orange. Doctor said my beta carotene was through the roof. I’m still supposed to lay off the stuff, but I think I might just need to try one Kabocha. One won’t hurt, right?

Oh, and Anne Burrell made a Kabocha bread pudding this past weekend on food tv and of course I thought of you! AND…I had my first Sunshine Burger last night. TO DIE!!! So.Can’t.Wait.For.Dinner.Tonight!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Greenbean,I once turned orange from one too many sweet potatoes, and stopped eating them so often. I really hope not to turn orange again as I would hate to stop eating kabocha. Sunshine Burgers – so good, no?

Erika October 15, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Anne P. asked the same thing, but do you eat the skin? I need to find some of this stuff soon. Too many good reviews all over the blogs.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Erika,Yes, I eat the squash skin and all.

carolinebee October 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Gooooood to know! I always thought butterCUP squash was a typo :D Then I found the butternut squash next to it and was just alltogether confused..

Carolyn October 15, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I was a little confused as my WFd’s has buttercup squash with the little extra bump on top (i call it a hat) in one pile and then the kobocha, with no bump, in another… so i googled it to see if i could figure out what needed to understand ..

This blog article had me laughing by the end. Great information and pictures but….I am really not going to know what i am seeing now!!

I guess my question to you Heather is do you ever buy the one with the “cap” on top, as Kobocha? Do you substitute that one and have it taste the same? That pricey little WFd’s is $.99lb

Either way, i am roasting that stinker on my counter tomorrow… Saw some snow fly today… it’s just wrong so early… but a perfect excuse to eat an entire roasted squash ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Carolyn,Confusing. I usually buy the common-in-Japan Seiyou kabocha (C.Maxima). My squash from Kroger is wearing the little hat, but the kabocha I buy from the Asian Mkt. do not. However, they are both labeled Buttercup. Weird. Whatever you bought, I can’t wait to hear how you like it. :)

VeggieGirl October 15, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Still can’t freaking (yes “freaking,” since it’s not Friday the 13th ;) ) find kabocha! Grr.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 15, 2009 at 12:28 pm

YEEAAH boyeeee! Roasted kicks every other cooking method’s ass every time. Period.

I’ve only tried kabocha steamed, roasted and steamed-then-roasted. Obviously roasted trumps all! The steamed-then-roasted method was actually very convenient–I had leftover steamed kabocha and then just broiled it for like 5-10 minutes when I wanted to eat it. Perfect finisher!

gina (fitnessista) October 15, 2009 at 12:29 pm

kabocha ice cream?! outta control
i still haven’t tried it, but it’s only because i still can’t find it anywhere!
hope you have a great day <3

Jessica October 15, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I love mine rosted and plain too! I’ve tried it many other ways but keep going back to the old stand-by! :)

Claire October 15, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I finally bought some last week…addicted.After roasting it with a lil salt ,I eat it with ketchup.I think I’m going to try a little garlic with the salt .YUM! cc

Dawn October 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I microwave it whole for 20 minutes or so. It
is faster than the slow cook, but the slow cook
is better! Yesterday’s treat was 1 TBSP coconut oil and
some sea salt. YUM. We love HEATHER!

charlotte October 15, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Will def. be checking out the squash bin at the store today! I hope I find one! Thanks for all the ideas.

nic - the auspicious squirrel October 15, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I have a kabocha, I was going to just cut it in half, remove the seeds and bake it face down… but I like the idea of the dry roasted crisp method. Thank you for a great idea!

Erin October 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Perfect timing with this post, Heather! I actually purchased a kabocha (based on your great description/photos!) on my Whole Foods road trip this past Friday. It’s been sitting on my counter while I try to figure out what to do with it. Now, I can’t wait to bake that whole thing up!!!

Here’s to you,
Erin

Janna October 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

You know I love me some Kabocha! I’ve only tried it steamed so far. But I will give roasted a try soon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

This:
kabocha is often labeled as Buttercup Squash

Ok then I am a pro at cooking these things! Seriously, it’s like nooch = nutritional yeast (I always write it out on my blog b/c otherwise I get a million emails being like nooch, huh?) with the terminology in different parts of the country is different!

Make a honey or dijon mustard + brown sugar (or maple syrup or agave) + evoo + ginger, cumin, cinnamon whatever you want “relish”. Make about 1/2 -3/4 c worth. Fill the hole with that. Slow bake and cover with foil for part of the time b/c the sugar in the mixture will burn.

Glad you got your package! I was hoping it arrived in one piece :)

Jennifer October 15, 2009 at 1:48 pm

hilarious post! you are too funny girl. i’m gonna have to try this.

Rebecca October 15, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I haven’t seen it in any of the grocery stores where I live yet, which is kind of surprising. Once I do I’ll make sure to snatch it up and roast that baby! :) (It kind of looks like acorn squash btw)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Rebecca, Yes, kabocha does have the same coloring as acorn, but much sweeter!

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I found kabocha at WF on Sunday, but it was a $1.99/lb. The smallest one I could find weighed over 4 lbs. and I didn’t have the heart to tell Chris I was going to pay over $8 for squash :) Looks like it’s time for a trip to the old Wing Wa.

jacobc October 15, 2009 at 2:05 pm

mmm, i’ll be trying that 2 hour slow roast soon!! I have a kabocha sitting on the counter waiting to be eaten right now..
I haven’t found anything better than honey for a topping though.

Totally not fair, my kroger never has them! I went shopping yesterday.. and got my weekly “holding breath 5 minutes while running through asian market” workout.

I’m guessing you go to the green hills k?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Jacob, You crack me up. I always bundle up whenever I to go K & S b/c it’s freezing, run through the produce section, grab my squash, and run back out. They know me as *that crazy squash girl who wears fleece jackets when it’s 90 degrees outside. *Yep, Green Hills Kroger.

Liz October 15, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I think you’ve convinced me that I need to try this squash. Especially with fall in full swing!

N.D. October 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm

yum!! :)

Rose October 15, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Y’know, you can make a steamed custard right inside the kabocha — I discovered this in Chinatown, and apparently it’s done in both Thai and Japanese cuisines. It’s easy to make, too — this is a decent guideline: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10396

When I do it, I often sub almond milk for the coconut, use less/different sweetener and fewer eggs. Still works fine; I bet non-egg thickeners would work too. A Japanese friend told me once you can do a savory version (rice milk, dashi, ginger, maybe?), but I haven’t tried it. Cutting into the whole squash and seeing the custard inside is always impressive!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Rose, Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing. I bet I could make some kind of tapioca pudding and steam it in the squash. Can’t wait to experiment. Thanks for the link!

Shelby October 15, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I’ve barely eaten any orange foods and I’m already turning orange! It’s ridiculous!

Love all of the kabocha ideas though…I will have to find some soon!

Susan October 15, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Whoa whoa wait. Kabocha is buttercup squash!?!? I eat that ALL the time!! Here I am scouring Asian markets when it’s in my grocery store. (or often, in my tummy) Jeeeeeez! :P

elleneatsbeats October 15, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Lady I wish I could find kabocha around me, OR that I had an oven to cook it in. The closest I’m getting is pumpkin :(

Erin October 15, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I never knew Buttercup was the same!!
I have tons and tons from our garden! And I thought I couldn’t find kabocha. How cool!

Tracy October 15, 2009 at 4:22 pm

YUM! That’s all I have to say, Heather!

My fav way is roasted and plain, too. Sometimes with a little raw almond butta!

Chloe October 15, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I just saw some kabocha the other day and wondered how to cook it – now I know! Love squash and everything to do with it, so I will definitely be trying out some recipes this weekend!

Amy October 15, 2009 at 4:46 pm

I made this pumpkin bread recipe with kabocha a few days ago:
Sooo good!

Made the following changes: spelt flour instead of whole wheat, applesauce instead of apple butter, agave instead of maple syrup, upped the allspice and nutmeg to about 1/2tsp, added about 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp ginger powder.

It’ll make the whole house smell like autumn, and it’s super yummy and moist!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Amy, That bread recipe sounds so good. I’m bookmarking it, and I want to make it just so I can smell it. ;) Thanks for the link!

Tiffany S. October 15, 2009 at 5:12 pm

We had SO much leftover (will post Thai soup recipe soon, I promise) that I had a roasted Kabocha smoothie this morning with all my regular smoothie culprits plus a squirt of sugar-free maple syrup. Even the whey powder doesn’t have the power to fluff up Kabocha but it was still YUMMY and filling (just kinda tough to pry outta the Vita!).

OrganicAshley October 15, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Oh man… I love me some Kabocha its my fav by far. I love to cut it in half and put it face down in a pan with a little water to help it steam. I think you would get the same texture as steaming it whole but its faster. I am a super creamy girl myself so I like it steamed over roasted. I hadnt thought of making it in a smoothie I will definitely do that though. Yum!!
oh and I been reading alicia silverstone’s new book the kind diet and totally loving it. I knew I would love it because she talks about kabocha being her favorite food in it. Hmmm… I think us healthy girls are on to something.

Tara October 15, 2009 at 6:33 pm

That kabocha looks really good! I have to get my hands on one soon. How does almond milk fair when used in ice cream? I haven’t tried it, but i’m curious about the results.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 15, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Tara,I didn’t think the almond milk would freeze, but it worked. Wasn’t icy at all either, but the guar gum might have helped.

Pure2Raw Twins October 15, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I love Kabocha squash…i love all fall squashes actually : ) I like roasting it as well, but also grilling it is amazing too! I like to toss it in olive oil with some cinnamon…and maple a drizzle of maple syrup when it is done…yum!

Devan Geselle N October 15, 2009 at 8:24 pm

DELICIOUS! i love finding out new ways to cook and prepare food! i cant wait to eat my squashes :D

findingtrueserenity October 15, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I sure wish I could find me some Kabocha! Totally envious!!! I may need to acquire some seeds to plant in my garden next year! :)

I, too, ran across a recipe that baked a custard on the inside of a Kabocha and it made me think of you, but I can’t find the thai recipe for the life of me… :)

Hope you have a beautiful day!

MarathonVal October 15, 2009 at 9:16 pm

You kill me Heather…. I STILL haven’t found kabocha, anywhere!! Not even my Whole Foods. Although, part of the problem is that I have no idea how to pronounce it so I’m scared to ask the clerks at the grocery store hence they laugh at me… kaBOWcha? kaBAHcha? Enlighten me, please! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 8:50 am

Val,I pronounce it Ka-BOH-cha. Don’t feel bad, CD still refers to it as Kombucha everyday.

yogiclarebear October 15, 2009 at 9:42 pm

gosh i wish i wasnt orange for heaven’s sake! im totally nuclear, lol!

heather, are you sure that buttercup is the same as kabocha? here in MN they are different, although they look VERY similar. buttercup has the “cup” on the top, the indent, as far as i understand…??

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 8:58 am

Clare,No, I’m not 100% sure they are the same, but all I know is that kabocha squash I bought pictured was labeled with stickers that said “Buttercup squash”. I’ve seen the one with the cups as well. Totally confused.

Whole Body Love October 15, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Why did I not connect the Buttercup Squash name with Kabocha until I read this? My goodness I need to be more observant! I saw them at WF and thought, “Hmmm, buttercup squash. That’s cute. I wonder what that’s similar to.”

CaSaundra October 16, 2009 at 6:41 am

For some reason, all the grocery stores here always have Kabocha & I never have a hard time finding it–yay for me!!

My fav way to prepare it, it microwave the halves till soft, scoop out pulp, place in food processor with a dash of maple syrup, spoonful of canned cream corn(really adds a nice sweet touch!), and some cinnamon. Whirl it good, then put back in the shell and eat! Almost like squash dessert–try it please!! :o )

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

CaSaundra,Corn, huh? I bet that does taste really good. Thanks for sharing. :)

Emily October 16, 2009 at 6:51 am

I admit I’ve never tried Kabocha, but you’re awfully convincing… When you just roast it your favorite way, how long do you cook it for? What temp? Do you cut it in strips like that before the oven (that part sounds like a lot of work…)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

Emily,I slice my little pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, and place the halves face down on a cutting board. I then slice it into strips – about 1/2″ thick and roast on parchment lined baking sheets (usually takes 2) in a 425º oven for 40 minutes. Comes out perfect every time, and I usually just eat it plain.

Justine October 16, 2009 at 7:43 am

You crack me up HEABS!!! Thats a shit ton of kabocha!! I read somewhere that it keeps for up to 3 months. I have stocked up as well. There are a bunch of varieties of it. The orange was sweeter to me which I liked but when I tried to roast it like fries the texture was to soft for me. Not as dense or thick as the green (which is the reason I love the green). I bet the orange would be better suited for dessert.

What kind of ice cream maker do you have? I need one of those babies. I might go buy one today. Sounds like a fun mission for the day :) . Do you ever calculate the cals for your ice cream concoctions?

LOVE YOU!
Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 8:55 am

Justine,Haven’t tried the orange yet, but I’m like you – I don’t like it when it’s soft and mushy. I just posted a recipe for kabocha butter, and I bet the orange variety would be perfect.

Justine, my ice-cream maker is a Cuisinart, similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20-Automatic-2-Quart-Ice-Cream/dp/B00000JGRT. I think mine is a little smaller.

Calories – well, for the batch using the almond milk, it was less than 150 calories. Not bad at all.

Teresa October 16, 2009 at 9:19 am

Awww… Thanks for the Shout Out! And since I haven’t even had a chance yet to take that farmer’s advice, I’m going to follow your lead and cook the squash a little less than 2 hours! Heather you’re the best! I love that you’re willing to try anything.

So this was just a thought I had- the said kabocha I bought from said farmer had bright orange skin. Now I’ve bought Kabocha with both green and orange, reddish skin. Do you think there is a difference between them?

Have an awesome day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 9:27 am

Teresa,Thanks for the tip. Cooked kabocha is much easier to cut into. :) I’ve never had the orange variety, but my friend Justine just tried it. She said it’s a bit sweeter and doesn’t roast up as crisp as the green. She said the green is better for kabocha fries, but the orange would probably work best mashed, pureed, or in desserts.

Tina October 16, 2009 at 9:24 am

Heather you are making me CRAZY craving kabocha!!! I need to go to Whole Foods desperately.

Grace October 16, 2009 at 9:27 am

I just made one of these the other night! I also roast mine in the oven. When I first brought one of these back to my apartment from my garden back home, my roommates were in shock. “That’s just decoration right? You’re not going to eat that…”

But sure enough, I roasted it up and they loved it.. Yum-o

Alisa - Frugal Foodie October 16, 2009 at 9:28 am

Sorry, more questions! I just bought my first kabocha squash (on sale of course!). What method (time/temp) did you use for roasting it? That sounds like my style.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 9:30 am

Alisa, I slice my little pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, and place the halves face down on a cutting board. I then slice it into strips – about 1/2″ thick and roast on parchment lined baking sheets (usually takes 2) in a 425º oven for 40 minutes. Comes out perfect every time, and I usually just eat it plain.

brooke October 16, 2009 at 9:57 am

love this, heather!

im such a buttercup (kabocha) fan/addict. i have been for years. and im so glad im not the only one who craves it on a daily basis…or who eats a 4 lb. squash for dinner…

i did a post a few weeks ago on how i prepare it. i like to steam it in the microwave (pierce with a knife) then cut/scoop, and bake on a foiled lined baking sheet for about an hour or so at 375. it yields creamy on the inside, crispy on the outside. oh my gosh so good…just plain. oh, and i too stock up. i hate when i get an underipe squash! its just not the same texture (water-y?) + sweetness. so i always look for the ugly ones with spots or ”warts” lol.

yum, i’m curious to try the slow roast process! enjoy xo

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 10:02 am

Brooke,Yes, under-ripe squashes are the worst. However, I find that roasting them usually negates any under-ripeness. I’d love to try your method for cooking kabocha, but we don’t have a microwave. Sounds perfect!

I only have 1 squash left and will be re-stocking this weekend. I’ll make sure to look for the warts. Thanks for the tip. :)

Lola October 16, 2009 at 2:34 pm

I read this post yesterday and just knew I had to try your favorite kabocha cooking method. Whenever I make squash fries I always use some type of oil but never really thought it would work to cook it totally plain. I went to the market and picked up a new kind of kabocha! It was local and bright orange! The guy said it was still called kabocha but a different variety. I couldn’t tell much difference between it and the green skin. Maybe slight less sweet? Not sure. Will have to try more!
I loved the plain roasting method!! Yum yum yum. The crunchy crispy pieces were my favorite… they were much drier than if I were to use oil so I would say they aren’t at all like squash fries, they are in their own category. The category of YUM! I like both though! Thanks for the new cooking method! Oh and can you say FULL? I ate the whole squash! :) Happy weekend. Hope you are well!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Lola,The category of YUM – ha, I love it. Here’s to a weekend full of squash YUM. Love, Heather

runningaroundnormal October 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Wow I would never even think of Kabocha ice cream! All of it looks great, really.

m i c h e l l e October 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer? OMG, I am going out to look for it immediately! Sounds sooooo delicious :-)

Kabocha is one of the few veggies I have yet to prepare at home. Maybe it’s time?!

Jin October 18, 2009 at 7:56 am

I completely share your love of kabocha!
Here in Vancouver, a little farm market sells them for .29/lbs! REALLY cant go wrong with that right?!
So we have three boxes full of them. yeah, i know. My living room looks like a squash patch right now!
But gotta love ‘em! I think I eat half a kabocha everyday…I agree, they are that good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Jin,So jealous of your squash collection. ;)

Lindsey @ Sound Eats October 19, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Thanks to you revealing the alias of kabocha (buttercup) I finally was able to try it tonight! It showed up in the pingbacks, but I linked to you here.

Thanks HEABS!

ashtangamami November 11, 2009 at 10:58 am

got my kabocha yesterday…can’t wait to see if i love it as much as you do :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 11, 2009 at 4:28 pm

AshtangaMami, I can’t either. I hope you love it!

Carbzilla December 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Ack – we had an accidental Kabocha burning this evening when I *thought* I’d set the timer for 40 mins but must have missed a button on the stove. Oopsie.

I’m pretty sure they can be salvaged.

I can’t count the times we say Kombucha/Kabocha but I figure it’s a good thing that we’re even throwing words like that around, right?

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2009 at 8:38 am

Carbzilla, Oh no! I hope you had a back-up kabocha/kombucha. :)

Ruby December 31, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Ah.. I was just reading this post because I really like Kabocha Squash,
and I know this discussion was written years ago, but for those like me who read this, Kabocha Squash is completely different from Butternut Squash. Kabocha has less fat and Carb content, and is less in calories. In Asia, especially Japan and Korea, Kabocha is popular, and that is where Americans got Kabocha. Butternut comes from a completely different region.
This is how to tell Kabocha from Butternut. Kabocha has a harder, rougher skin that is dark green possibly with light green stripes and yellow parts. it has a dark, dark yellow or orange inside and tastes sweeter than all other squashes and stays firm, whereas other squashes easily fall apart. Butternut is less sweet and is not as round and bumpy as Kabocha Squash is.
Overall, Kabocha Squash is the best of all winter squashes, in terms of nutrition, taste, calories, and uses (because it can be boiled, steamed, baked, pureed, added to soups, etc.)
There are side effects, however. As other people mentioned, Kabocha squash turns your skin yellow, because when too much beta carotene (potential vitamin A) is consumed, it stains cells and fat. consuming even 2-3 cups of Kabocha each day for one week or more will cause dramatic skin changing, so consume moderately.

HEAB January 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for all the info Ruby. I agree – kabocha is THE BEST. Wish it was easier to find around here. Happy New Year – hope your 2013 is filled with lots of kabocha love…and that your skin doesn’t turn yellow. :)

elfmirfkin January 30, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hi everyone,
I just bought one of these but can’t find any info on the skin. Am i supposed to peel it?

HEAB January 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Elfmirfkin,
I roast and eat my kabocha squash without peeling. Here is my method: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/roasted-kabocha-squash/

Enjoy!