A Celebration of Kindness

by HEAB on October 16, 2009

There are some amazing people in my life, and I am so grateful for their kindness to me and CD.

This assortment of goodies arrived in the mail from sweet Averie, AKA The Raw Dessert Guru.

Thank you so much Averie!

Thank you so much Averie!

Our package contained Vegan Blondie Macaroons, Raw Vegan Donut Holes, and Raw Peanut Butter Cookie Dough. CD started sampling immediately after dinner, and everything was gone by the next day. I may have helped just a little. ;) Thanks again Averie!

Yesterday, I arrived at work to find this exciting delivery waiting for me…

Clean Eating Magazine

Clean Eating Magazine

Jill, a friend in Nashville and devoted reader of HEAB, dropped off all of her recent issues of Clean Eating Magazine to me after reading in a recent post that I wanted a subscription. Wasn’t that so incredibly thoughtful? Thank you so much Jill…CD thanks you too. Hehe. My goal is to try at least one new recipe every week.

Debbie, another friend in Nashville, is now selling her amazing Curry Hummus, and CD and I were lucky to get a jar from her first batch. Debbie, we love this stuff!

Love the presentation Debbie.

Love the presentation as well Debbie.

What’s a girl to do after receiving so much love? Why, celebrate with a delicious breakfast of course.

Quinoa bread with tahini and kabocha butter.

Quinoa bread with tahini and kabocha butter.

Wow wow wow. Everyone is raving about Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter these days, but I knew I could make my own healthier version at home. So I did, using leftover roasted kabocha squash. Click here for the recipe. You’ll love it, and you can easily sub pumpkin or butternut squash if you can’t find kabocha. Oh, and you can click here for the quinoa bread recipe. Just sub quinoa grains for the oat groats.

Happy Friday my friends. :)

P.S. Erica is giving away not one, but two yoga sticky mats. Click here for a chance to win.

Claire October 16, 2009 at 8:44 am

Thank you soooo much for the Kabocha butter recipe.I can’t wait to try it.It is really sweet that people share with you,but you share with so many daily:-) Thank you,Heather!Have a fabulous weekend.cc

Diana October 16, 2009 at 8:44 am

Oh wow, those goodies look so… good! :P
So does that breakfast :)

VeggieGirl October 16, 2009 at 8:44 am

Aww lovely!

Jessica October 16, 2009 at 8:46 am

How nice! Those desserts so look amazing!

Evan Thomas October 16, 2009 at 8:46 am

Such great friends! Raw cookie dough and donut holes. I never would have imagined the day but wow those sound good

brandi October 16, 2009 at 8:49 am

kabocha butter sounds so good, Heather!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 16, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hi Heather! Thank you for the gracious honorable mention here and the recipe links…wow you didn’t have to do that, but thank you!!!!!!!! More importantly, I am glad that the goodies I sent made it in one piece (you know the ole USPS one never really knows what’s gonna happen with your package) and I am so glad that you guys enjoyed! I forgot that CD has a huge appetite…sorry, I should have sent more :)

Anyway enjoy all those Clean Eating mags and the salsa too!

Happy Friday, Sweetie!

xoxo
averie

Jill October 16, 2009 at 8:51 am

Heather and CD…

I have always had a warm fuzzy for you both…and now that you’re husband and wife, that spot just gets even warmer!! So, I am happy to provide you with those great magazines – I had good intentions when I bought them…but let’s just say, I could never pass of that “clean” eating to my hubby. I hope you enjoy the recipes…and I cannot wait to read about them. Besides, knowing that I am contributing to your healthy lifestyle makes me smile so much!!!

Jill

Erica October 16, 2009 at 8:52 am

awww the kindness is so wonderful :) What great goodies. The tin the hummus comes in is just gorgeous! Thanks for the shout out- you rock ;)

balancejoyanddelicias October 16, 2009 at 8:52 am

you got such great friends, which means you’re such an amazing woman! :D
I’m soaking some grains now to make that bread! :)

Gina October 16, 2009 at 8:57 am

Heather, is it necessary to soak and dry the quinoa or millet or whatever grain you’re using? I made it with the oat groats, and soaking them made sense to me because I always soak them, but after they dried…they sort of looked…exactly the same. Let me know, I really want to try it with millet! Oh and odd thing…my cat loved it too.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 9:06 am

Gina,Well, not sure. Soaking the quinoa was kind of a pain – those little suckers stick to everything. I didn’t dry them out very well either, and when I tried to blend them into a flour, I overheated my Vita-Mix. Had to finish the job in my food processor. However, it made for some super moist bread. I love the slightly sweet/salty coconut oil taste. Next time I make it with quinoa, I’m skipping the soaking. As far as soaking the millet goes, I was just following the instructions from the original recipe sent to me from one of my readers, and she got it from a cookbook. I would think the recipe would work just fine without it – let me know if you try. Hope you have a good weekend Gina! Love, H.

polly October 16, 2009 at 8:58 am

A sweet peach draws attracts sweet friends. :) YOU are teh example of kindness each day, Heather. Each of your words are heart felt and so sincere. Love you, friend! I am blessed to know you!!!

Enjoy those yummies from Averie muffin.

XOXO

elleneatsbeats October 16, 2009 at 9:01 am

yummm at all those goodies! My boss gets sent clean eating, so i already read it at work. free subscription :)

Deborah Barnett (The Perfect Bite) October 16, 2009 at 9:16 am

Ah – Heather…. so glad you and CD are enjoying the hummus. He did let you have some, right? ;o) I’m also still so glad that Chris took my advice and asked you out… I’m still floating on the glory of that one! ;o)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 9:25 am

Debbie,I’ve had one spoonful of your hummus, and we only have about 1/4 of the jar left. I kid you not. CD has eaten most of it straight from the jar! P.S. – I’m very glad that Chris took your advice as well. :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie October 16, 2009 at 9:25 am

Aw, such amazingly sweet people in your life! I need to look into that Clean Eating magazine. Is it new? Any insight into what it’s like?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 9:29 am

Alisa,I think Clean Eating has been around for a few years. I occasionally buy it at various health food stores, I love it – great recipes, but I could do without all the advertisements for Hydroxycut. If you’re at all a fan of Tosca Reno, you’d love it.

Pure2Raw Twins October 16, 2009 at 9:48 am

I normally have to always make my own sauces,spreads, etc due to my food allergies and now a raw foods lifestyle, so I understand about making your own pumpkin butter HEALTHIER. Yours looks yummy!!

lilveggiepatch October 16, 2009 at 9:56 am

What fabulous goodies! Averie’s treats always look Uh-MAZING.

Devan Geselle N October 16, 2009 at 9:56 am

awesome post :)
we are all definatly surrounded by beautiful people, always. and we shuold never forget to take a moment and celebrate the wonderful people in our lives!

awesome treats you got. The curry hummus would be PERFECT with kobocha squash, i think. yum :)

molly @thevegandorm October 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I am so jealous of all those goodies! that bread also looks delicious!

Liz October 16, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Clean eating is an awesome magazine! I saw an issue of it at my gym and read it while I worked out. I was very impressed.

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) October 16, 2009 at 1:30 pm

You deserve every bit of kindness these ladies are throwing at you for all the good you put out into the world!!!

marla October 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Clean Eating is an awesome mag! Your Quinoa bread w/spread looks delicious. BTW, I would make my own Pumpkin Butter too!!

Ozlen October 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Heather!! I roasted my butternut and labocaha this morning slowly per your instructions actually… the house did not smell lovely -unfortunately I wish it did. But the taste was awesome. I especially enjoy being able to eat the skin. Great idea and loved it! Thank you.

Since eating Kabocha I find that I dont need or crave the sweet stuff anymore it is all those natural sugars I am sure even butternut did not taste that sweet after a taste of kabocha yummy! Thanks for the idea

Ozlen

Annabel @ www.feedmeimcranky.com October 16, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Wow! what awesome gifts you’ve got there! Raw treats, Clean Eating Mag and curry hummus? It’s like Christmas over there! :D

Shelby October 16, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Aww, I wish I got exciting goodies in the mail!!!

Averie just sent me the same package and they were gone in less than 5 minutes. SO GOOD. She is the queen of raw desserts!

Kabocha Butter?! Um can you say YUM!!

Emily October 16, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Quinoa bread?! Intriguing!! Lots of yumminess going on in this post!

fartygirl October 16, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Roasting my first kabocha as we speak.

I swear, you follow me around the market, Heabs. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 16, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Yes, it’s me. I’m your stalker.You buy lots of goodies – all my favorite things. :) Hope you have a good weekend.

missyrayn October 16, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Those are some nice friends you have!

Becky October 16, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I love Clean Eating magazine! What sweet readers you have! The quinoa bread, kabocha butter and tahini combo just looks amazing. Last night I mixed tahini with a little honey as a dip for my apples…loved it!

eatmovelove October 16, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I’ve never seen a Kombucha squash…it looks like acorn – does it taste similar? I did find a ‘Sweet Potatoe Squash’ and a ‘Carnival Squash’ at the store though and picked those up! – never seen or heard of those before!! Have you ever cooked/baked with these before?? If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Definitely want to try the Pumpkin butter recipe!! I picked up Sunflower Seed Butter recently and am in love (after never having tried a ‘seed’ butter before) – I get the “Nuts To You” Brand – I live in Canada – do you get it in the States?? Check my blog for pictures if you want to see !!

(and again HEAB – thanks for taking the time to email me before and being the first to comment on my blog…your “go for it” line really made me realize that I just need to start pursuing my dreams – which is to hopefully write and involve it with my ‘foodie-ism(!)’ and love for health…somehow!! (yeah…have to figure out that m-i-n-o-r glitch haha!! ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 17, 2009 at 6:26 am

EatMoveLove,,So glad you’re “going for it” :)

Kabocha is much sweeter than acorn – it’s like a cross between pumpkin and a sweet potato. I don’t think I’ve ever had a Carnival or Sweet Potato Squash, but I bet they’re yummy. I would just cut them up, scoop out seeds and roast them like you would your acorn or butternut.

Love Sunflower seed butter, but we don’t have the Nuts To You brand here – only ones I’ve seen are the Trader Joe’s brand and Sunbutter. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Love, Heather

the dainty pig October 16, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Mmmmmm!
Looks delicious. So delicious :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention in your last post on the deliciousness that is kabocha: one of my favourite kabocha toppings (on baked or steamed kabocha) is a spoonful of coconut oil. Let is melt on top, and then add a sprinkle of cinnamon, and if you want some crunch, a few sunflower seeds. Amazing.

Have a great weekend!

psychoj1 October 16, 2009 at 8:14 pm

So much kindness and love going on! It’s fabulous :) Yummy too!
<3 jess
xoxo

Maggie October 16, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Averie’s goodies are awesome. I starred the kabocha butter. I wonder if it would work with unripe kabocha. hm.

Jackie October 16, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I work at a co-op and all the squash we have right now is beautiful! We got in these amazing blue squash just the other day, I was told I could have one as a sample!! I was really stoked but the selection wasn’t to great or they were so huge I was afraid of it. But, I took a kabocha squash instead! I’m so excited to roast this sucker up, your pictures and recipes sound divine!

CaSaundra October 17, 2009 at 6:45 am

Wowee! You were showered with foodie love! I really want a subscription to Clean Eating as well–I’ve only read a few issues, but it’s great! Maybe Santa will deliver some under my tree? Lol!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 17, 2009 at 6:58 am

Oh my gosh, curry and hummus are like two of my favorite words. I bet that was delicious!

eatmovelove October 17, 2009 at 8:20 am

Thanks Heather – your right I can’t go wrong with squash – I’ll bake them up and smother them in veggies’ and spaghetti sauce more than likely! I’ll post some pics! Yes I love Sunflower Seed buter – perhaps I’ll try a ‘give-a-way’ in the near future of some yummy Canadian products that the U.S may not get (once I get some increased traffic!).
BTW – I also really like that you take the time to comment and answer everyone’s questions/comments – it’s nice to know you care what your readers think!

Tina October 17, 2009 at 8:20 am

Raw pb cookie dough?!?! Sooo jealous!
I’m going to Whole Foods today and am absolutely picking up squash. I’ve had enough of drooling over it on here ;)

Rita October 17, 2009 at 3:41 pm

that breakfast looks great! as do all those goodies. :)

Brittany October 17, 2009 at 4:14 pm

You are one lucky lady to receive all these lovely gifts. I love recycling magazines- especially expensive ones like Clean Eating.

I also love that you made your own Kabocha butter. I definitely need to try your recipe as I am in love in with TJ’s pumpkin butter.

Lynn (The Actors Diet) October 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm

how brilliant are you with your homemade butter?!?!? awesome awesome!

glidingcalm October 17, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Aww Averie’s goodies always look amazing!! And hurray for Clean Eating magazine!! I need to start reading that one more often- I really enjoy it!!

Love your tahini obsession too!

Happy weekend Mama!! Hope that bike ride went well!

Jenn (eating bender) October 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Hi Heather – how are you?

So glad to see that you’ve received some delicious packages and magazines :) Friends are so amazing. That curry hummus looks so intriguing and Averie’s yummy bites would have been gone from my apartment in hours.

I’d love to catch up with you soon about your holiday plans in AZ. I will be there the entire last week of December! I really hope I can see you and CD again.

Lara (Thinspired) October 18, 2009 at 4:12 am

Hi Heabie! Hehe…can I call you that, or is that weird?!

So many goodies here. You have such devoted and sweet readers! The Clean Eating stash is especially awesome ;) I see one issue in there that I have…the one with the penne/turkey dish on the cover. I have made it a few times, it is delicious and easy. Oooh, just remembered the pasta thing…hmm…perhaps you can sub with eggplant or zucchini? I know you can HEAB-ify it ;)

If you ever want any British goodies, you can always hit me up with your address so I can pass on some yummies from overseas, too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 4:26 am

Lara, Of course you can call me Heabie. :)

wendy October 25, 2009 at 6:24 am

I am so jealouse of your magazine stash! I have just found Clean eating in a local store and I so wish i had found it sooner! It is an awesome magazine.
Love your blog too! I am so glad i stumbled across it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 6:56 am

Wendy, So glad you found me. :)

wendy October 26, 2009 at 6:33 am

glad your glad i found you!
i see you said you work in nashville…i am about 2 hours from there! i love nashville!
i don’t get to go to nashville much but when i do i make sure to hit up the knitting stores and this awesome used bookstore we found a few months back there.
i also love to stroll through whole foods. that place is major sensory over load!
oh i guess it would be nice to ad i am from Murray ky but i doubt you have been through or heard of it…maybe Paducah ky though? it is about an hour from where i am.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 26, 2009 at 7:17 am

Wendy, I’ve heard of Murray, KY. A former coworker of mine went to school there. Whole Foods – I know, right? I could spend hours in there. Is McKay’s the bookstore you like – it’s on Charlotte and definitely the best selection in town. If you ever want to meet up for lunch at Whole Foods when you’re in town, just let me know. :) Hope you have a good week. Love, Heather

wendy October 27, 2009 at 6:51 pm

no we didn’t go to that bookstore…but i looked it up and i am gonna have to make time for it! the one we went to was bookman bookwoman….
I am surprised you have heard of murray! usually people are like “where?”.
Whole Foods is like …gosh….I would say William Sonoma of my world…but William Sonoma is William Sonoma o my world as well(not that i can ever afford anything in there aside from free samples:)).
When i get to go in WF i bet you i walk every square foot! I just want to look and look…oh wait…it is like the christmas toy catalog of my adult life! I just have to poor over it and make sure i don’t miss any opitions.
Lunch sounds good somtime when i am there again. Hubby’s mom lives in Dixon tn and we used to come and go from Nashville all the time but since his grandmother passed we just don’t get down there anywhere near as much. I am planning to be down that way for a book siging by Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond on the 8th of dec…but that will be a get there ,get a signature and turn around trip:(.
Have a good week and love the new lay out! Wendy

{ 1 trackback }