I Did A Half Marathon

by HEAB on October 18, 2009

on the bike. ;)

CD ran a half this morning at his marathon pace.  He signed up to do the race as a training run for his full marathon in December.  I served as his trusty water bottle girl and rode alongside him the whole way.  We won. 1st place overall in 1:13:09, and that was running at his marathon pace. Boy, you’re crazy.

CD, love those sexy running legs of your's. :)

CD, love those sexy running legs of your's. :)

Let me back up and tell you about the disaster that was my breakfast at 5 AM. Well, no, I’m not going to tell you.  Let’s just say it was a hilarious debacle that involved protein powder and the ice-cream maker.  Yes, I attempted to make ice-cream at 4:45 AM, and my vision of oat bran topped with protein ice-cream did not come to fruition. ‘Nuff said.

Moving onto lunch.  So, I feel like maybe I’ve hugged one too many carbs this month. As much as I love my grains and squash, I’ve been craving more protein in my life.  Rice protein powder is great, but sometimes, I just need a good savory meal. Following the race this morning, I didn’t want a smoothie. Nor, did I want tempeh, eggs, or fish.  I wanted chicken, and after a trip to Trader Joe’s, that’s exactly what I ate for lunch.

Raw salad topped with chicken. Just what I wanted.

Raw salad topped with grilled chicken. Just what I wanted.

Underneath my protein fix was a bowl of Lemon-Miso salad, which I have not made in forever.  Why? So good.  CD is on a miso kick himself.  Every day he takes a thermos full of homemade miso soup to work for his afternoon snack, and on that note, I leave you with…

CD’s Random Comment of EVERYDAY:

Miso Horny.

Heather’s Random Thought of EVERYDAY:

Just one day CD…can we get through just one day without hearing that phrase…please. ;)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Wow what a run/bike ride!!! Haha CD’s random comment had me laughing out loud. Have a fabulous time at the POM Blogger Harvest Tour!!

eatmovelove October 18, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Wow! Way to go CD!!! Awesome race :) And that salad looks so fresh and delish – yes a girl needs some protein in her life for sure! So I just posted a ‘dilemna’ I’m grappling with now Heather – if you or anyone care to take the comment to provide some advice/comments/suggestions…I’d really really appreciate it! Thanks and I hope CD and yourself enjoy some relaxation and good eats after all that !!

Callinae October 18, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Wow. He is one fast guy!

Mmmm squash

Danielle October 18, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Congrats to the both of you! That’s awesome :)

And I totally know what you mean about craving protein. Happens to me sometimes too and I try not to eat meat or chicken because of personal reasons and I’ve somewhat lost my taste for it. This girl’s gotta have her fish. Sub in some tuna atop that delicious salad and I’d be all over it, better watch out ;)

Have so much fun on the POM Harvest tour, that just sounds absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to hear all the wonderful things you bloggers have to say about it. Safe and happy travels!

Jessica October 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm

The POM tour sounds like such a blast!

greenbean October 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

it’s official. kabocha is the truth and the light of squashes. thanks HEABS!

Erica October 18, 2009 at 1:17 pm

awwwwwwwww! I bet he loved having you there (both for the water and the support!!) You guys are so cute. Loving that lunchy salad. Have a blast on your trip. I= jealous ;)

balancejoyanddelicias October 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Heather! this is sooooooo exciting! I’m going to meet you in person tomorrow!!!!!!!! What about a yoga session before dinner? What time are you going to arrive at the hotel?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Coco,I know – I saw your name on the list. Can’t wait to meet you! Let’s see, I arrive in Fresno at 12:50, and so I should be at hotel by 2 PM. Would love some pre-dinner yoga!

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Holy cow, CD is FAST! Congratulations! Must’ve been all that good-quality water he was drinking ;) .

I wish I would crave protein. I eat it because I know I should, but my mind is always saying, “I want chocolate, I want oats!” It very rarely says, “I want beans or a veggie burger.” Oh well.

Miso horny LOL!! Too funny :)

Lara (Thinspired) October 18, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Matt is sitting here peeping over my shoulder as I read and is seriously envious of CD’s time. Wow! Congrats to him!

I am glad you got your chicken today. Sometimes it’s all that will do, right? I am so weird with chicken, I go through spurts of wanting it all the time and then not wanting it at all. Sounds like you are kind of similar :)

So cool that you get to go to this POM event. Have fun, and please give NorCal a kiss for me!!

Leah October 18, 2009 at 1:25 pm

At first I was thinking “wow, I didn’t know she was running again!” but then I continued reading :) I can’t get over his race time! wow! I love how supportive you and hubby are of each other. It’s simply adorable.

Enjoy the harvest tour!

balancejoyanddelicias October 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm

great heather! I’ll arrive Fresno 2PM, so I guess I’ll be at hotel by 3PM. this is soooo exciting!!!
I’ll send you an email with my cel so we can communicate :)

Diana October 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Have fun tomorrow! :)

Melissa October 18, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Heather,
I have been a follower of your blog for a while now and find your story very inspiring! I LOVE to see your yummy recipes, which has challenged me to be more inventive and nutritious in my meals! Also, it was from your website that I found my beloved Polly! Yoga is Yummy definitely has changed me for the better! One other thing, today I ran the MCHM and saw your hub kick some serious butt!!! I remember when he past, my running buddy and I were like “dang he’s fast, then is that a bike that just flew by behind him??” Now I know it WAS! Hope you all had a blast! Congrats to the hubs!

Blessings!
Melissa

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Melissa,We crossed paths!!!! So fun, and I love hearing from local readers. If you ever want to meet up, just let me know. Off to check out your blog, and congrats on your run today. I wish we could have met, but I left immediately after CD finished to meet a friend for coffee. Maybe next race. :) Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Love, Heather

Melissa October 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm

my BLOG is really sad, and new…so don’t hold it against me!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Melissa, Not sad – not sad at all. It was nice to meet you. :)

Anne P October 18, 2009 at 1:51 pm

LOL to the “miso horny” hahah that’s awesome. also, great job on the half to both of you!!!

Heather October 18, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Congrats, CD! What a rockstar. Hope you have fun in California!

caronae October 18, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Wow, thats fast! Have fun at the POM tour. I love pommegranates!

Emily October 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm

way to go CD! couldn’t have done it without his water girl, no? :)

I love your creativity! at 5 in the am no less! I bet your recipe will work out next time.

CD’s comments sound like some of my husband’s comments :)

VeggieGirl October 18, 2009 at 2:35 pm

FABULOUS!!!!!

Maggie October 18, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Enjoy the POM tour!!

OMG… I love CD’s comments.

Mama Pea October 18, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Oh my gosh, have a blast on your trip! I love CD’s comment. Maybe you would get sick of me in real life too :)

Samantha October 18, 2009 at 3:31 pm

LOL Love the random comments of the day…just perfect. I guess most men have that “turn everything into something sexual then chuckle” gene eh? The hubs is thousands of miles away under the water somewhere and his emails are still riddled with them. ha ha!

Miso is great, I should eat it more, love it. That salad is enough to entice me! I’ve been eating Heidi’s broccoli crunch for over a week solid now. Might be time to mix it up! ha ha!

Shelby October 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Too much protein actually makes me feel really sick. I haven’t been eating much lately because of that. I know, it’s bad, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. That salad looks pretty darn tasty though! I just ran out of miso, oh no!

Me love you long time ;)

Susan October 18, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Haha, you two are one winning team!!! CD and my Chris must share the same sense of humour, that line sounds familiar :P Also, love that you are going with your cravings!

Evan Thomas October 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Congrats to CD! That time is craaaaazzzy. And I felt accomplished after running mine Monday in 1:48, he must have felt like he was flying!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Evan, He was. I could barely keep up…on a bike!

Nicole October 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Hey! CD Rocks! I ran 8 miles today in 1:14:03 and was so excited with my time, and CD beat me by a minute with a half! He rocks! (not negating my time, I’m just sayin..)
Also, you rock for riding along with him. I think it’s cool that you were allowed to ride next to him…most races I’ve seen don’t let you do that.
BTW Miso Horny made me laugh out loud. Too cute.
Have fun in Cali!! Be safe and I can’t wait to hear all about it!!!

carolinebee October 18, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Dude CD is crazzayy! In a good way :D And u aren’t too shabby either! Have fun this weekend take lots o pics!

missyrayn October 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I love the CD quote of the day because it reminds me of Hunni. Today I thought he said he was going to give me weed when talking about tea leaves. When I tried to clarify he said “no the weed’s for me the tea is for you.” Silly boys.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 18, 2009 at 5:42 pm

What a very fast boy you are married to! Wow!

Ok so I would be remiss if I didnt say I would LOVE to be hanging out with you and Gina in N Cal. OMG what a great time it would be! Anyway, I hope you have an awesome trip Heather!!!!!

xoxo

Carolyn October 18, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Ok, i looked at that picture one too many times…freezing cold or not… I have to make the miso salad again… I’ll just turn on the fireplace in October…. grocery list for tomorrow…spinach, zucchini, mushrooms…dig out the spiralizer… ;-) Be warm for me in Cali!!!

Brandi October 18, 2009 at 5:53 pm

great job on the half :)

I’m SO sad I wasn’t invited to this POM tour!!! I want to meet all of you so badly.

I hope you have a great time :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 18, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Brandi, I want to meet you too! When are you coming to see your friends in Nashville?

Marcia October 18, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Wow. That’s just crazy smokin’ fast. Like, an hour faster than my 1/2 will likely be in three weeks.

Have fun in NorCal! I live in SoCal, and I do love NorCal for little trips. So much greener.

Kim October 18, 2009 at 6:42 pm

WTG CD! That is one fast half!

I ran a half today, but took me a little longer than that! ;)

Jennifer R. October 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Have a super time at the POM trip. My friend, Shirley, will be there too. She leads our local Gluten Intolerance Group and her blog is http://www.glutenfreeeasily.com — she’s awesome!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Jennifer,Shirley was on my plane from Dallas to Fresno. She is so kind, and I cannot wait to sit down and read her blog. Love her positive attitude about being gluten free, and I bet she is a great leader for your group!

homecookedem October 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Amazing!! That is a crazy half marathon time!! Congrats CD!! :)

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 18, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Ah, I am so jealous of your trip to CA! Have a great time :)

CD and you are so hilarious, I love it!

charlotte October 18, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I think that’s the best CD comment I’ve ever read! Have fun on your tour – learn lots of smarty pants stuff to share with the rest of us:)

m i c h e l l e October 18, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I had no idea POM was up in my neck of the woods! Sounds like so much fun! Looking forward to hearing about it :-)

Lele October 18, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I had a carnivorous moment yesterday, too. I know I get enough protein, but I guess sometimes a woman’s body goes “meat! give me meat!”
It’s always good to respect what your body asks :D

Meredith October 18, 2009 at 7:52 pm

How fun! Enjoy the POM tour!

Gena October 18, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Catching up on so many posts, my very sweet Heather! What cool goodies from AVerie, and what a cute photo of you in this post. Congrats on your biking half! xoxo

Jess October 18, 2009 at 8:48 pm

WOW-that’s a super fast half marathon! Congrats to CD! I love that you biked it :)

Mmm, chicken is the best!
<3 jess

Teresa October 18, 2009 at 9:17 pm

CD- you cuhrazy boy! Seriously Heather I don’t know if I could have kept up with him on a bike. Props to you! I bet you guys were the cutest in the whole half-marathon.

There’s nothing like listening to your body. And yum to miso!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 19, 2009 at 4:15 am

Teresa, Yeah, it wasn’t easy. I got in quite a workout!

Erin October 18, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Congrats CD! Dayum that’s fast…so impressed :)
And as for his quote – he sounds JUST like Rob, who can’t get enough of “love you long time.” Eternally horny. I thought it would decrease with age… ;)

Devan Geselle N October 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Miso Lemon Salad would be delicious! :)

GREAT job on your half a mile!! SO awesome of you and CD!!

Shannon October 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm

wow, that is one crazy time, but you two rocked the half :) and i got a kick out of your breakfast adventures!!

have fun on the POM tour!

Allie (Protein Girl) October 19, 2009 at 6:48 am

I too have recently hugged one too many carbs… but they are good huggers, so nice and warm!

So sorry to have laughed when I read about your protein ice cream crisis! I’ve recently had not one, but TWO failed batched of sugar free meringue cookies, so I feel your pain! (when egg whites deflate, turn ‘em into protein bar cookies, I guess!)

Lyss October 19, 2009 at 7:41 am

CD = SPEED DEMON! That’s ridiculous, and he should be on cloud 9 right now!

Chelsea October 19, 2009 at 7:58 am

Wow, CD is wicked fast. Congrats on the win.

Emily October 19, 2009 at 8:28 am

That’s INSANELY fast!!!
Looks like a great salad – I’ll have to try that.
Have a great trip!

Hanna M. October 19, 2009 at 8:38 am

I have a miso lust right now… ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 19, 2009 at 10:41 am

CD is pretty much a running beast. At this point I will assume he was born in Africa.

I’m loving miso lately myself. Is homemade miso soup as simple as dissolving the paste in hot water? I could go for that right now–the office is wicked drafty!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 19, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Diana,Yep, that’s how I make my miso. 1 heaping TBSP and about 12 to 16 ounces of super hot water. Easy. Yummy. Warm. You can sip it and cozy up to your space heater. :)

lilveggiepatch October 19, 2009 at 11:43 am

WOW. Congrats, CD!!!

vickith October 19, 2009 at 12:20 pm
Heather Eats Almond Butter October 19, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for the link Vickith! Baba Ganoush…Mmmmm. :)

Grace October 19, 2009 at 1:05 pm

First I must say, I too have been eating way too much squash and sweet potatoes this month…yet I’m still not sick of either haha. And the blogger tour sounds amazing! Have fun!

Erika October 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

CD makes comments like that too? I thought it was only my husband who repeats the same quotes, jokes, etc over and over and over!

Have fun on the trip to CA. I love pom and pomegranates so I am very jealous. I have been experimenting with juicing pomegranates, still can’t figure out the most efficient way, so please take notes for me! :)

Tiffany S. October 19, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Congrats to you and CD!

OMG OMG – I’m so excited about your POM tour I can barely stand it (and Fresno is the armpit of California but now I have to LOVE it because so much yummy produce comes from it!). That is BEYOND awesome!

For the record, I’m officially addicted to Oat Bran! I didn’t think I’d like the texture AT ALL (since I didn’t grow up with hot cereals) but now I can’t imagine eating my eats any other way. Groats? What was I thinking?

Have a Pom-tastic trip!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 19, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Tiffany,Hello from Cali. :) Yes, oat bran – I never want anything else. I literally think I could eat it 3 times a day, but try and limit myself to once or twice. So good!

Pure2Raw twins October 19, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I wish my little legs could go that fast! Congrats! And the POM tour event sounds like a lot of fun! I can’t wait to hear all about it! Sorry that your am ice cream bk idea did not turn out… I have had many for those! LOL

Quix October 19, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Just found your blog. Good stuff!

What a killer time! My first half in June took me an hour longer, hehe. And yay for you riding along! My guy did that for me during long training runs, it helped me practice running without music and keep at a slow enough speed to stay relatively conversational. Plus, I got him for 2 whole hours! I loved it! :)

traveleatlove October 19, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Wow that is a crazy pace! Have fun at the POM tour, wish I was there!

runningaroundnormal October 19, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Wow… WAY to go on the half! You and CD are amazing. That time is incredible. Have fun at POM:)

glidingcalm October 19, 2009 at 8:48 pm

hahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahah miso horny.

gosh CD! congrats to you both!!!

HAPPY TUESDAY HEAB!! :D

Oh and I have to do this (read my last post to know why):

Foundation species [ "ecosystem engineers" ]: plays major role in “shaping communities by creating/enhancing a habitat that benefits other species”. (E.x. elephants push over/uproot trees, creating forest openings in the grassland and woodlands of Africa-> provide growth of other grasses and forage plants for smaller grazing species like antelope. It also increases nutrient cycling.)