Almond Adoration

by HEAB on October 23, 2009

Almonds are back in my life. Oh how I missed them. After 3 days of breakfasts on the go and lots of eating out, it was so nice to get back to some Heather food.

I’ve been craving lots of green and protein after one too many Larabars during my trip to California. No more bars or sandwiches for me for a while.

Lunch yesterday was just what I needed.

Roasted veggies with grilled chicken and almond butter.
Ever plopped some almond butter on a fresh from the grill warm chicken breast? No? Try it. I promise you it will not disappoint.
Next up, I made the best batch of homemade almond milk ever thanks to Gina.
Look, no separation!
Every time I’ve made my own almond milk, it separates into a watery mess with almond foam on top. It’s fine for smoothies but was never that great for much else…until now. Click here for the recipe. I tried using the almond pulp to make gluten free bread. Disaster! I’ll have to work on that one.
Last but not least, my one almond-free meal as of late, today’s breakfast…
Chocolate protein oat bran with Fudge Babies and POM arils. Heavenly.
Calling all photographers. I’m working on my blog banner, and I’m in need of a clean crisp photo of raw almond butter. Does anyone have a picture I can use? If so, one batch of Maple Nut Oaties is on its way!
Anyone else having a blah workout week? I’m so not feeling yoga, but I think my body is just tired from all my travels. Hope everyone has a good weekend. I’m hoping to try out a new homemade pizza recipe. Stay tuned…

Maggie October 23, 2009 at 9:15 am

I’ll try to do an AB pic :) I’ve never had it on chicken! Love it on kale though. I always think of whatever I’m having it on as an excuse to have AB – just a vehicle. Yum.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 9:23 am

Thanks Maggie – that would be great. I bet your new camera could get an awesome shot.

VeggieGirl October 23, 2009 at 9:17 am

I can’t go one day without my beloved TJ’s raw almond butter – so glad you have almonds back in your life :-D

Rest up, my friend!! Yoga can wait xoxo

The Foodie Diaries October 23, 2009 at 9:17 am

AB on chicken!? I’m on it.

Lauren October 23, 2009 at 9:18 am

Is your weather crappy? I know sometimes I get in a workout funk when it is. Traveling will do it too! I did make the plunge and sign up for a gym membership-Chicago weather is just so brutal and I just don’t have the space/motivation to do it in my home with DVDs I get bored with. Besides Polly’s dvd. I love that girl and her yoga. Looking forward to your pizza recipe!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 9:24 am

Lauren,Yes, weather in Nashville is total crap. I’m so over all this gloom. I need sunshine in my life soon!

Erica October 23, 2009 at 9:18 am

mmm roasted veggies with almond butter? This might be on tap as part of my dinner tonight!I haven’t attempted almond but but it sounds super easy. Maybe something to put on my to make list. Hope you have a great weekend Heather.

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama October 23, 2009 at 9:20 am

Nothing beats home cooked meals – too much eating out makes me feel so gross after a while. Welcome back!
Healthy Eating
Tasha

Graze With Me October 23, 2009 at 9:28 am

I love the idea of almmond butter on chicken. I don’t eat chicken, but I do eat turkey – maybe I’ll give it a whirl at Thanksgiving. I may get some strange looks though….!

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 23, 2009 at 9:32 am

Ohmigosh the pomm-y pic is just so vibrant. Put that on the top of your bloggie!

In all seriousness, I’m sure someone’ll offer a fantabulous pic. I mean, when Maple oaties are involved, it’d certainly have me running for the nearest camera if I thought my novice skills had any chance!

Devan Geselle N October 23, 2009 at 9:34 am

my eyes were glued to your fudgy baby pom oat bran..
delicious!

im glad you are back. and have almond butter back in your life!

xo

Abby October 23, 2009 at 9:36 am

Your oat bran is incredibly pretty.. lovin the pom arils.

My camera is nothing special so Im not your girl for the photo BUT im really excited to see what pic you end up using for your blog! :)

gina (fitnessista) October 23, 2009 at 9:44 am

for some oaties, i’ll be taking pics of almond butter all day haha
so glad the almond milk turned out well!!!
that oat bran looks like heaven :D
miss you my cali friend but hopefully i’ll get to see you again soon!
xoxo

alli October 23, 2009 at 9:49 am

almond butter tastes great with just about everything, no? i’ll have to try it on some chicken asap!
yesterday i jotted down as many HEAB recipes that i could and had me a HEAB cookathon last night :) made the chocolate truffles, almond butter, maple nut oaties (OMG!so goooood!), and kale and raddish chips (dont remember now if i got those from you)
now this morning im eating my first bowl of oat bran (ack! why have i been wasting my time with regular oatmeal when oat bran is so much betta?!). i mixed in some pumpkin butter, almond butter, banana slices, and topped it with a chocolate truffle! best.breakfast.ever.
this cookathon aint over yet, i’ve got big plans for this weekend :)
it is so satisfying to eat delicious food that is also good for me. (now i just need to convince the hubby ;) )
why people waste time/money on diet foods and unhealthy crap i have no idea!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 9:53 am

Wow Alli. Glad you’re enjoying some HEAB recipes. That makes me happy. Don’t give up on the hubby quite yet – surely he liked the Oaties, no?

Scorpionne October 23, 2009 at 9:51 am

I’m new to your blog and it’s great :) And I saw your chicken breast with almond butter on top. I’m curious. Do you make your own almond butter or you use store-bought?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 9:55 am

Scorpionne, I do make my own almond butter: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/homemade-nut-butter/. However, the one in the chicken picture is Maranatha’s roasted.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 23, 2009 at 9:54 am

I have definitely felt the need to rest more this week! I ran out of almond butter a few weeks ago and have been using PB but I really really miss AB. Need to get it back :)

courtney October 23, 2009 at 9:57 am

Yum! Your roasted veggies/AB combo always looks so good. It has inspired me time and again to make the same dishes for me and the hubby! He loves your lunches and dinners! The POM tour looked like so much fun, I got to tour Barleen’s headquarters recently (they do smoothie flax oils like banana strawberry and chocolate raspberry) and it was fun to see where everything I ate came from. So are POM pomegranates organic? I was curious how they grow them?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 10:06 am

Hey Courtney, So glad you and your husband are enjoying some HEAB meals. So cool you got to tour Barleen’s headquarters. I used to use their flax oil all the time before I switched to Udo’s Oil. Barleen’s makes some great products.

As far as the POM Wonderful pomegranates go, no, they are not organic. Organic certification is super expensive, and organic produce usually has a much shorter shelf life. I was told they do spray the pomegranates with some pesticides but they use as little as possible. They also spray the fruit with a “sunblock” to keep the pomegranates from getting a sunburn, it is an all natural clay. Before the fruit is juiced, it is washed thoroughly & covered with fungicide and a coating of wax. I’m hoping to go into more detail in an upcoming post soon about the whole process.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 23, 2009 at 10:02 am

Thanks for the hookup on the almond milk! Sorry the pulp GF bread action didnt work but hey, the milk alone is a major feat, don’t I know. And yeah, doesnt it feel good to eat REAL food after eating bars, smoothies, and road food? Glad you’re back in your element and hopefully the yoga will flow for you. No pun intended :)

Emily October 23, 2009 at 10:11 am

oat bran may not seem to be a highly crave-able food, but on your blog it always is :)

Erin October 23, 2009 at 10:13 am

Wow, we are too similar!
I’m so behind in the blog world…but I am doing well in the real world :)
I have been eating chicken and AB and tons of roasted kale and brussel sprouts. I’m on carb overload after being too busy and low on groceries. I’m taking a little oat break. I’ve eaten the chicken AB combo for breakfast! Living alone has made me lose all sense of normalcy, haha.
I’ve been in a yoga funk too. I just can’t do it when I feel rushed…I’ve been really into indoor climbing lately. Maybe you should explore something new!
Take care, my dear!

lexi. October 23, 2009 at 10:26 am

so glad the almonds are back!! great job with your almond milk!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 23, 2009 at 10:30 am

Wow, homemade almond milk. I definitely want to try that!

alli October 23, 2009 at 10:43 am

You know, we didn’t have breakfast together this morning. :(
I’ll whip us up a batch Sat. or Sun. morning and let you know how he likes them! He’s an oatmeal fan, so I’m sure he will love them.

alli October 23, 2009 at 10:46 am

Oops, I just reread your comment, aparently I was thinking you meant oat bran.
YES! he loved the Oaties! That’s a winner for sure!

leslie October 23, 2009 at 11:20 am

i love the almond butter idea – i always forget to use it in savory dishes. it’s such a habit to put it on oats – or directly in my mouth. :)

i usually feel the same way when i get back from traveling – it’s so nice to have “me” food! i love to travel and try new foods, but it does feel wonderful to come back to my ingredients. looks like you’re enjoying your almond and oat bran reunion!

MelissaNibbles October 23, 2009 at 11:23 am

Have you tried almond butter on a sweet potato? I mix a spoonfull of almond butter with Greek yogurt and serve over the potato. It’s heaven!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Melissa, I love putting nut butters on sweet potatoes and winter squashes. They were meant to go together. :)

Paula October 23, 2009 at 11:38 am

Breakfast looks yum-mo!

Hannah October 23, 2009 at 11:41 am

Heather,

I realize the tahini obsession was last week’s kick, but I saw this and thought of you immediately!

Check it out! The recipes look pretty delish!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hannah, My tahini obsession continues. Thanks for the link! :)

balancejoyanddelicias October 23, 2009 at 11:42 am

I’m so making that almond milk! Love all your eats Heather! I don’t have anything but veggies since I got back!!!
oh… and kabocha! I think I’ve devoured a huge one already!!! hhahahah….

Marina October 23, 2009 at 11:43 am

I recently made a batch of almond butter. I have to try it with chicken :)
I should also try almond milk, but I’m too scared to make my own :)

runeatsleep October 23, 2009 at 11:44 am

Almond Butter? Awesome. Almond Milk? CRAZY awesome! I’m definitely trying THIS ONE very soon…

polly October 23, 2009 at 11:46 am

Hot chicken with almond butter? OF COURSE! :P the yummiest combo ever known to almond butter lovers everywhere, I tell ya. ;)

A raw almond buttah picture? going through my photos now….

Love you, peach! XOXO

peaceandpeanutbutter October 23, 2009 at 11:50 am

YUM! Look at that breakfast!!

Lisa October 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I’ve never tried AB on chicken–but I you would have put it on the veggies you had with the chicken. I love topping roasted or sauteed veggies with it! :)

eatmovelove October 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Wow, have never thought of topping my chicken with almond butter – that will have to change! Can’t wait for the pizza recipe, I’m in love with any and all things pizza (which can be both good and bad) :)

missyrayn October 23, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I know the feeling of wanting to get back to your own food after traveling. My stomach can’t take too much pre made stuff.

I never thought to add almond butter to chicken. I love my TJ’s raw almond butter and I just might have to try this.

brandi October 23, 2009 at 1:36 pm

love the pom arils on there – they’re so pretty!

lola October 23, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Your food looks sooooooooooooooo good! :)
and i can’t wait to try and make some almond milk for myself :)

Quix October 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Almond Butter on chicken, huh? Never would have thought of that but it sounds kinda awesome!

joelygolightly October 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Oh my, the words fudge baby and breakfast in the same sentence? Sounds great!

Mama Pea October 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Are there almonds in your pizza recipe? Because I think that would be delicious!!! I may be playing with my camera soon if it means another batch of your oaties!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Mama Pea, Nope, no almonds in the pizza…I’m attempting a millet crust. Should be interesting.

Deb October 23, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Chic n ab is kinda like a Thai dish when they use pb. Yum! I remember a body builder at the gym had a trough of slop he was eating…of course I asked what it was. Brown rice shredded turkey n pb. At 1st I thought it was weird (obv a LONGtime ago). He let me taste…yummmy!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 23, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Deb, I think the turkey n pb with brown rice sounds delicious. I made the chicken salad from Michelle’s guest post on your blog. Yummy. :)

livingfreeforever October 23, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I told a friend of mine last night to try almond butter on a sweet potato and she thought I was crazy! I’ll have to tell her to try it on chicken too:) Your breakfast with the fudge babies looks delish!

Glad you had a good trip. Hope you catch up on your rest this weekend:)
XOXO

Shannon October 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Mmm, almond butter! i’ll have to try it on chicken :)

Katie October 23, 2009 at 4:37 pm
Fit Vegan Girl October 23, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for posting the almond milk recipe – I’ve had the same problem with it being to watery. Almonds are soaking right now! :)

Fit Vegan Girl October 23, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Err, too! ;)

Emily October 23, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Those roasted veggies look so good! I feel good about my cooking at home, but I really struggle when eating away from home. Even good-ingredient bars leave me unsatisfied. Looking forward to more of your delicious eats!

Pure2Raw twins October 23, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Glad that you got your almonds!!! Yeah my sis taught me how to make better almond milk from 105 degrees too! So much better now!! LOL. I have days/weeks that I don’t feel like yoga or working out either. Just rest and you will find your groove again!! LOL

Melissa S. October 23, 2009 at 8:10 pm

yay for almonds back in the life!!!

broccolihut October 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Aren’t pom and chocolate a heavenly combo? One of my favorite oatmeal creations feature pom juice, pom seeds, and chocolate chips.

m i c h e l l e October 23, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Oh I looooove the pic of the sauteed veg esp. the brussel sprouts – looks great!

Amanda @ Panda Lunch October 23, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Really, is there anything that almond butter isn’t good on? I tried your marinutta the other day on some GF pasta and veggies, so delicious!! I would have never thought to mix almond butter with marinara sauce!

I know exactly what you mean about getting back to your food. I used to look forward to trying all the new food when I would travel, but now I mainly live on Larabars and other packable snacks when I go anywhere, and I’m always SO relieved to get back home where I can control all the food choices!!

And yes, this has totally been a blah workout week. The sunshine needs to come and stay for a while. This rain is making everything funky!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 24, 2009 at 7:55 am

Amanda, If it’s sunny this week, let’s walk, ok? Love, H.

psychoj1 October 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Glad you are loving almonds again–they deserve our love :D

<3 jess

CaSaundra October 24, 2009 at 6:50 am

That breakfast looks so patritoic!!

Can’t wait for the pizza recipe–I have 2 coming this week also! =)

Pizza party!!

Shelby October 24, 2009 at 7:56 am

Horray for almonds! I haven’t been eating much almond butter, but this post makes me want to buy some ASAP!

Erin October 24, 2009 at 8:23 am

Hey Heather… what’s your method for roasting vegetables? Lately I’ve just been coating eggplant, red peppers, onion and butternut squash in a little bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and rosemary (totally delicious, by the way!. Do you use oil or anything else? What kind of veggies do you roast? I think I need to branch out from my combo, even though I love it. Thanks!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 24, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Erin, Your method for roasting veggies sounds so good. I love rosemary – makes the entire house smell so good! Lately, I’ve been roasting a lot of Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. I always throw in a chopped onion, mushrooms, and a colorful bell pepper if I have any. My method is pretty basic. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and while I’m chopping, I’ll put a TBSP of coconut oil in my 12 inch cast iron skillet and place it in the oven to coat and melt the pan. I then remove the pan, dump in my veggies, and add salt & pepper and any other spices and herbs. Then I stick back in the oven and roast them (I make a ton and so it takes a while) for 45 to 55 minutes stirring once or twice. That’s it. So yummy.

Tina October 24, 2009 at 8:50 am

Hmm almond butter on chicken…I want to try that! Except I’d probably use peanut butter haha.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 24, 2009 at 10:25 am

Can’t say I’ve had AB on chicken but coming from you it doesn’t surprise me. :) I believe you that it’s good! Although since your tahini week I’ve discovered that as far as sauce purposes go, tahini tends to be just a lil thinner and spreadable, but that’s also because I’m devoted to TJ’s raw chunky AB, which is quite pasty by the time you get to the bottom of the jar (aka now).

Hey I made that oat groat bread stuff for din din last night and boy howdy is that great or what?! Came out totally different than I expected but it was perfect nonetheless. I made an Indian type dish and used it as my “naan” accompaniment. Will post about it this coming week sometime. That recipe’s a keeper – thanks for the heads up on that one!

Bon weekend to you, HEAB.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 24, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Diana, I currently have some millet bread in the oven. Subbed olive oil for the coconut oil and added onions and rosemary to make it a pizza crust. Oven beeping right now.

OK, pizza crust total disaster. Going to have to fine tune that one. So many kitchen disasters lately. :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Love, H.

tosha25italia October 24, 2009 at 12:39 pm

yum for almonds – the milk looks fantastic! and the pom seeds look s o goood

Diana October 25, 2009 at 11:40 am

I can try to get a good photo for you if you still need it!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 11:44 am

Diana, That would be awesome. I was hoping to use this photo ( http://www.domestifluff.com/images/food/almond-butter1.jpg), but I never heard back from the photographer. I’ve received several and was going to post them on my blog tomorrow and let my readers choose. Would love to have a photo from you if you have time today. Thanks so much! Heather