Pizza Slop

by HEAB on October 25, 2009

Using this recipe sent to me by Allie, I attempted a homemade millet pizza crust with onions and rosemary. Looked good, no?

After adding my toppings (tomato sauce, Kalamata olives, and fresh basil), I broiled the pizza for a few minutes.

Still decent looking.
Then I cut into that baby…

Yeah, that didn’t work out so well.
At least it was not a total Heat the Salmon Butt disaster since it still tasted good. Allie, next time I’ll follow your advice and use chickpea flour. I don’t think using my cast iron skillet was the best strategy either. What a mess!
Oh well, my dessert made up for it.

Protein Ice-Cream. No ice-cream maker required…but you will need a Vita-Mix. ;)
Into the Vita went:
Blend until all fluffy and creamy. Who needs Papa John’s and Baskin Robbins?!?
Off to my first yoga class in over a week. So excited to get back into my yoga groove. Later my friends.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 25, 2009 at 7:58 am

i have had SUCH a major pizza craving for the last week, and messy or not that looks fantastic! I’m going to aim to try a new grain this week… maybe millet or amaranth… oh, and kabocha finally :)

VeggieGirl October 25, 2009 at 8:00 am

No worries!! Hell yes for a redeeming dessert :-D

Evan Thomas October 25, 2009 at 8:03 am

Haha, oh well, I would have been impressed with that pizza up to the last pic :-) I like a good thin crust, herby sauced anything

molly @thevegandorm October 25, 2009 at 8:10 am

i love messy food! i’ve never thought of making pizza crust in a skillet, but now that i think about it, it would be a good way to make a personal, thin crust pizza.

Nicole October 25, 2009 at 8:34 am

The pizza still looked yummy to me, mess and all :)

Erica October 25, 2009 at 8:35 am

Taste is what really matters! Glad you enjoyed it. I love that you had pizza and ice cream but like a way healthy version. You rock! Enjoy the yoga

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 25, 2009 at 8:44 am

The pizza looks great! Interesting pizza crust! Never would have thought of adding onions to it, but that’s a great idea!

fartygirl October 25, 2009 at 8:45 am

I don’t get why that crust didn’t work. Did the onions throw it off? I don’t see how chickpea flour could help either. Chickpea keeps everything kinda slimy. Maybe it would help if you de-veganized it and threw in an egg?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 11:39 am

Farty, I don’t think I cooked it long enough.

Allie (Random Teaspoon) October 25, 2009 at 9:11 am

OH NO!!!! Please blame me…or even better, blame Mark Bittman!

In happier news, I made chickpea baked ‘french fries’ with a VERY similar recipe that my 4-year old adored (dipping it into ketchup of course)! Just keep the flatbread in the oven until it dries out (slice with a pizza cutter into strips), but it back in until it crisps up, then crunch away!

“Can I have more of that french fry bread?” Music to my ears!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 11:41 am

Allie, Not your fault. I don’t think I let my bread cook long enough. Your fries sound delicious – might have to try that soon.

Gabriela October 25, 2009 at 9:56 am

That pizze looks tasty even falling apart! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Mama Pea October 25, 2009 at 10:02 am

So I was watching Top Chef last night and this guy made a sauce and added…xanthan gum!!! I was like, “Yeah, I knew that!” I’m sure he’s reading HEAB every day too!

Happy Sunday!

Abby October 25, 2009 at 10:03 am

That kind of stuff happens to me all the time.. as long as it tastes good!! I bet the millet gives it a great crunch… yum! :)

Jessica October 25, 2009 at 10:21 am

Well, pizza slop doesn’t SOUND appealing, but it sure looks great!

missyrayn October 25, 2009 at 10:30 am

Sometimes the ugliest food has an awesome taste :-) I love making food at home that would be aweful out but tastes amazing and is healthy.

Teresa October 25, 2009 at 10:36 am

Hey I figure not everything can be a culinary beauty, so as long as it was tasty then all is good! Seriously it sounds delicious and sure does look scrumptious in the pan. And your desert, ok, now you’re making me lick the screen…

Diana October 25, 2009 at 10:47 am

That whole meal looks yummy, even if a little bit messy :D

Shelby October 25, 2009 at 10:58 am

Mmm, I love me some ice cream!

And that pizza still looks terrific!

peaceandpeanutbutter October 25, 2009 at 11:15 am

Hey not all of our meals ‘look’ pretty, but they taste damn good!!

That protein ice cream sounds delicious!!

Have a great day, HEAB!

balancejoyanddelicias October 25, 2009 at 11:34 am

a nice attempt! :D
enjoy yoga dear friend…. it’s so good to go back to it after a week of absence.

Pure2Raw Twins October 25, 2009 at 12:03 pm

The ice cream looks yummy! Have fun at yoga : )

janetha October 25, 2009 at 12:22 pm

even though it was a tad sloppy it still looked delicious!!

Emily October 25, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Sorry your pizza got stuck in the pan, but it still looks good! I still love the combo of rosemary and fresh basil.

Your dessert looks amazing. Sadly, I don’t have a Vita-Mix, but maybe I’ll try to whip up a tiny batch in my food processor. :-)

Maggie October 25, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I did something similar to this with polenta once… messy but half decent. I have been using my skillet for frittatas recently :) Love the cast iron skillets.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 25, 2009 at 12:45 pm

GReat looking ice cream and enjoy yoga for the 1st time in a week! Be gentle to yourself :) Whenever I use gums in ice cream it gets toooo goooey. I need to try your method!

Liz October 25, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Haha,at least it tasted good!

Food-Fitness-FreshAir October 25, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Millet pizza crust, that sounds awesome!! How’d it taste compared to the original dough?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Food-Fitness-FreshAir – still tasted good. Kind of spongy though. I don’t think I baked it long enough. I was hoping for a thin crisp crust.

joelygolightly October 25, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Hey, pizza is good no matter how messy it gets when you eat it!

Peanut Butter Bliss October 25, 2009 at 4:31 pm

i totally had a what I call a HEAB meal :) it was a huge baked butternut squash with TJ raw almond butter for dipping!! haha i thought it would make you happy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Peanut Butter Bliss, Very very happy. :)

glidingcalm October 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm

i want to try that protein ice cream! i bet it’s only good with j robb though!

MarathonVal October 25, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I’m with ya, after being away all weekend (in the boondocks of Illinois, no less) I ate far too many Larabars and Raw Revolution bars. I love them both dearly, but I miss my greens!! Sadly, it was impossible to get any veggies cooked sans butter or cheese while in the boondocks….

Adi (oatonomy.com) October 25, 2009 at 7:01 pm

You put Baskin Robbins to shame! Seriously.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 25, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Yeah, I’m with Janetha- it still LOOKS like it tasted good even though it wasn’t purrrrrty. Love Allie and her blogs- she’s a rock star.

Wow, why no yoga all week? Bet it’ll feel very good.

Miss you-seems like forever since we caught up!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Deb, I know – miss you too! No yoga classes after spending half the week in CA and the other half of the week trying to recover. All I did was ride the stationary bike or walk. Still not caught up on rest. Yoga felt awesome today – 90 minute hot vinyasa class. I’m already sore! Will email more soon. Hope you had a good weekend. Love, H.

Elina October 25, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Eek, like you said – at least it tasted good! It’s good to take chances sometimes!!
If you have a minute, check out my V8 soup giveaway :)

Carolyn October 25, 2009 at 8:21 pm

“Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever”

Navin R. Johnson
(Steve Martin in The Jerk)

Vicki October 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I am so going to try that ice cream! Yummy!

Say, Heather – Can you some time tell me exactly which veggies you use in your grilled veggie concoctions? They look great…and I am always at a loss at what to buy once I get to the store! It’s like I have a brain freeze! I’m getting tired of my staples of brocolli and cauliflower!

Thanks again for being an inspiration! I always look forward to reading your blog!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 26, 2009 at 7:20 am

Hey Vicki, Never met a vegetable I didn’t like, but honestly, Costco dictates what goes into our roasted veggies on any given week. For now it’s Brussels sprouts, mushroom, broccoli, and onions. CD doesn’t like bell peppers, but I like to toss them in for a little color. Hope you have a good week. Love, H.

Whole Body Love October 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I’ll take the HEAB version over the franchise any day! Now, do you deliver? ;)

eatmovelove October 26, 2009 at 5:27 am

Actually, I don’t see anything wrong with it?!! But I love pizza and will take it in any shape, size of form :) I need to try some ‘healthier’ versions of ice cream…sadly, I have a bias and ridiculous attachement to Breyers Cookies & Creme :(

Glad the Yoga went well. There is nothing like Vinyasa to make you feel great again. I started the training this weekend by the way and will be blogging about it as I go along. For now, I am still very ‘cautious’ and unsure about it still (if that makes sense??) – but at the same time, I’m feeling somewhat excited (?) about it and am happy I stuck it out this weekend….yeah, that doesn’t make sense haha – but I don’t know how to describe it really. It is exhausting though! Not just physically because this weekend was more listening and talking…but mentally (although sitting x-legged and getting up for salutations makes for one tight-hipped gal!)

Have a great Monday to all :)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) October 26, 2009 at 6:43 am

I made a pizza version of socca that had a similar recipe. Check it out: http://glutenfreegidget.blogspot.com/2009/08/socca-it-to-me-pizza.html

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 26, 2009 at 9:35 am

Oh well, it all ends up in the same place at the end of the day though, right? Better luck next time. :) As for ice cream, I may not have a Vitamix but I did just WIN AN ICE CREAM MAKER from Shannon (Tri2Cook)!!!! OMG I’m so stoked it’s stupid. The depth of my ice cream addiction knows no bounds, and now it has the machinery to support it. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 26, 2009 at 10:26 am

Diana, Congrats – you will love your ice-cream maker!!!

Hayley October 26, 2009 at 6:17 pm

That pizza crust looks amazing! Even if it didn’t turn out quite as presentable as you’d hoped I’m sure it still tasted delicious. Your POM trip looked like it was so much fun and quite informational! Now when I see pomegranites in the store I think of you. :)

Vicki October 26, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Thanks, Heather for the suggestions! It really helps me! I feel veggie-challenged lately…!!!! :D