Bird Vs. Bean

by HEAB on October 27, 2009

Last week, I was on a chicken kick and made Michelle’s Mediterranean Chicken Salad from her guest post over at Smoothie Girl.

In HEAB style I ate little protein with a LOT of steamed veggies.
I followed Michelle’s exact recipe but added a little fresh basil. Delicious, and I decided to make the recipe again yesterday since I had leftovers of all the ingredients. However, I was all out of chicken. So, instead, I doused a block of tempeh with Braggs, roasted it in the oven for about 15 minutes, and chopped it up in the food processor for a batch of mock chicken salad.
Tempeh “chicken” salad with steamed veggies and roasted kabocha.
Guess which one I liked better? Well, I have to admit I liked the tempeh version. I know there are many of you out there who are not tempeh fans, but I just love its nutty texture. So much better than tofu in my opinion, and it’s one of the few soy products that does not bother my belly. Plus, it’s a fermented food which I love.
How about you? Tempeh lover or hater?
Please forgive any technical difficulties. Not only am I working on a new blog design, but I’m also trying out a new blog publisher. Any Ecto users out there? Anyway, there have been several I’m going to throw my computer out the window moments this morning…but that may have been caused by the smoke alarm that WON’T STOP BEEPING, even after removing the battery. AHHHH!!!
Much love to you all. :)

Jessie October 27, 2009 at 9:56 am

I LOVE tempeh! I could seriously eat it everyday. Your “chicken” salad looks delicious. :)

Abby October 27, 2009 at 9:57 am

Your salad looks delicious.. I need to try that out. You’re like me.. I always have more veggies on my plate than protein. YA for the roasted kabocha.. YUM! :)

Kim October 27, 2009 at 9:58 am

Heather, I tried roasting squash in the oven the other night and LOVED it! Thanks for the great idea!

Erica October 27, 2009 at 9:58 am

Very cool- love the two different takes on 1 recipe. I liked the taste of tempeh but the texture drove me nuts :(

Leah October 27, 2009 at 10:04 am

I have never even tried tempeh before. But it sounds tempting :P

I don’t even know if I can buy it here in the UK?! Beats me!!

Jessica October 27, 2009 at 10:05 am

I’ve never tried Tempeh. I’m a sinner.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 27, 2009 at 10:06 am

Good luck with the technical problems! I’ve never tried tempeh either, I can’t believe it ;-) I need to get on that, I’m sure I would love it.

The Foodie Diaries October 27, 2009 at 10:07 am

Never actually tried Tempeh! Its texture always looks strange to me–but I have a feeling I’d like it.

Mama Pea October 27, 2009 at 10:07 am

It’s crazy, but I used to HATE tempeh and nooch, and now I LOVE them both! I had to ease my way in with the tempeh, starting first with the fakin’ bacon, but now I just love it! I’m going to try a tempeh stroganoff recipe on my man this week and see if I can make him feel the love too :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 10:16 am

Mama Pea, Please let me know if the stroganoff recipe works. ;)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 27, 2009 at 10:14 am

Haven’t tried tempeh yet, but neat idea using it in the recipe instead of chicken!

Good luck with all the computer stuff!

Carolyn October 27, 2009 at 10:18 am

..I feel your pain with the smoke alarm… have lived that…

Roasted kabocha squash slices with the rinds almost cut off this AM. The thin remaining part tasted like potato skin that way…yummm

…i haven’t eaten Wilson yet… But his days are numbered…

Cooked that orange “almost hat kabocha-nut” squash whole in the oven…sent it in to work with Paul! Very mushy…but he loved it…

Can wait to see the new HEABS webpage design…

Ozlen October 27, 2009 at 10:20 am

Hi Heather,

Two questions-

How do you roast your kabocha?? because mine tends to fall apart unlike yours all nice and intact. Second I was wondering if you or anyone have ever used a yogurt maker to make oatgurt. Thanks so much for your help inadvane.

take care,

Ozlen

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 10:40 am

Ozlen, Scott in OH used his yogurt maker for oagurt, and I posted about it here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/08/15/im-completely-out-of-jay-robb/ .

As far as roasting kabocha goes, I slice my little pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, and place the halves face down on a cutting board. I then slice it into strips – about 1/2″ thick and roast on parchment lined baking sheets (usually takes 2) in a 425º oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Comes out perfect every time, and I usually just eat it plain.

Evan Thomas October 27, 2009 at 10:20 am

Definite tempeh lover here. I love its nuttiness. But I’m not sure how I would go about flavoring tempeh and preparing it myself in a dorm, so I usually get premarinated tempehtation or fakin’ bacon tempeh

JessicaR October 27, 2009 at 10:25 am

Ugh, the smoke alarm. Is it hard-wired into your home? Mine was, and I seriously considered jumping off the second-floor balcony when it wouldn’t stop beeping. I had to call my boyfriend and have him mess around with the wiring so it would stop. Although I had to buy a new one because the parts that I did get off the alarm had been shattered into a million pieces (by me smashing them with a hammer in frustration? nooo… never… what kind of crazed individual would do such a thing? ;) )

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 10:37 am

JessicaR, Not sure, but the beeping has stopped now…was about to grab the hammer myself. :)

MelissaNibbles October 27, 2009 at 10:27 am

Brussels sprouts make any dish divine. Great dinner!

Julie October 27, 2009 at 10:28 am

I love tempeh! I like it more than tofu actually.

Whit October 27, 2009 at 10:41 am

I adore both tempeh and tofu. I do think I would prefer the chicken version though. ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 27, 2009 at 10:42 am

Tempeh definitely takes getting used to, but I love how nutty it is too! And as much as I love my veggies, there’s something nice about biting into something you can tell is more calorically-dense. And in a good way! I’m so done buying tofu…not that it was a staple to begin with…bring me tempeh and miso and I’ll be soy happy. :P

So when you have a sec, have a look at the pics of that oat groat bread I made after reading about it here. Mine was all floppy like a flatbread – not cakey at all, which is what I expected from your picture. Don’t get me wrong, it was DELICIOUSSSSSS, but totally not what I anticipated! Carb-huggable nonetheless. :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie October 27, 2009 at 11:02 am

Kabocha, my love!!!!!!!

Teresa October 27, 2009 at 11:02 am

I definitely don’t eat it often, but I am a tempeh fan– one of the few sources of soy I rarely eat. Much better than tofu too! But ya know what I do eat of lot of- KABOCHA. SO GOOD! Maybe someday we will share our love of Kabocha together and have a Kabocha feast. Until then…

Runeatrepeat October 27, 2009 at 11:06 am

I love tempeh too! Looks good :)

Susan October 27, 2009 at 11:15 am

I’ve only been able to find pre-seasoned tempeh burgers in these parts. I kinda go back and forth with it. Some days I loooove it (same as you, it’s a texture thing) other days I think it tastes like old socks. I’d really like to try just the plain tempeh blocks so I can make up my mind already :P

Mary :: A Merry Life October 27, 2009 at 11:18 am

I’ve never tried tempeh! I’ve heard good things about it, so I hope to try it soon.

Your blog always make me want almond butter and we are out of it here! Hopefully some is coming soon. :)

Juicy Jessy October 27, 2009 at 11:25 am

oooooo i will try that tempeh recipe! i’m currently not a fan, but i guess it’s that i don’t exactly know what to do with it :-)

caronae October 27, 2009 at 11:28 am

I baked up my first kabocha a few days ago and I already got another one from the farmer’s market! I’m a tempeh lover, I also like the nuttiness. Happy Tuesday!

eatmovelove October 27, 2009 at 11:28 am

I picked up Tempeh the other day – but have no idea what to do with it! Seems like I’ll get a few good ideas here! Can I treat it the same as tofu…just grill it or bake it in the oven? I do eat tofu but want to try tempeh as I heard it’s supposed to be ‘better’ than you than the other soy products? My stomach is weird to everything really…so I have no idea if it’s really soy it’s sensitive to or not.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 11:30 am

EatMoveLove, Yep, just cook it up like you would tofu, except you don’t have to press any water out of the tempeh. Tempeh is fermented making the proteins easier to digest. Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Food-Fitness-FreshAir October 27, 2009 at 11:39 am

It took me awhile to get the hang of Tempeh, but it’s definitely grown on me and now I love it…I’ll have to try out this recipe, looks good!

joelygolightly October 27, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Your steamed veggies always look so yummy in photos! Makes me want to cook up a batch of brocc and brussel sprouts!

Shelby October 27, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I haven’t had tempeh in a long time. I don’t love it but I don’t hate it either.

Sweet Cheeks October 27, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I adore tempeh! I don’t have it very often though because it is hard to find around here. Bummer because your meal sounds fantastic!

Lily October 27, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I love tempeh so much that I eat pieces of it broken right off the cake. No cooking or seasoning…I know, I’m a freak.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Lily, I do the same thing!

Kristen October 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I agree-nuttier is better! :-) I had a Reuben which used tempeh at a local restaurant and it was ah-mazing!

Devan Geselle N October 27, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Oh wow! Tempeh chicken salad? I will need to make that, asap! :D

Nicole October 27, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Ok, I guess I’m going to have to give tempeh another try. I tried it once but it could have been the recipe I made…does it take on the flavor of what you marinade it in like tofu does? Or does it already have a flavor of its own that is only enhanced by certain spices?
Oh and the rain–must be the rainy weather traveled down to you. This summer in Boston, it rained for 6 weeks straight…no joke…from the end of May, all of June, and then again the second half of July..luckily the weather in VA has been much better. I know how you feel…like it’s never ending. Keep your head up! It could be snow and ice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Nicole, Tempeh kind of has its own flavor. In fact, I like eating it plain straight from the package. However, my favorite way to eat it is to squirt it with Braggs and roast in the oven. I like it better than tofu b/c you don’t have to press water out of it, an it’s more dense. It’s chewy rather than slimy. So, it will take on a flavor from a marinade, but not always required in my opinion.

glidingcalm October 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm

oh tempeh!! it has been wayyyyyyyyy too long. I miss that soybean of love. love the little protein LOTS OF VEGGIES. my fav. way to eat.

gluck with the new blog design and smoke alarms!!!
smoke alarms can be such pains in the bottom!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 27, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Hi Heather!
Tempeh-No b/c I am anti soy. I did make a salad dressing using 1 Tbsp of vegan mayo that has canola and soy in it, but that 1 Tbsp lasts me like half a week. I reallly avoid soy. I have some chronic health conditions that I dont blog about but when I eat soy, I feel it, period. So I just avoid. Tempeh is a big fat no-no for me. Even fermented food love still no-go.

Smoke alarm-Brand new house and mine was going off twice in the last 4 days. I about flipped a lid. Once was from cooking and yesterday it was from running the a/c. Was 88F here yesterday.

Roasted a squash in your honor today :)

Ecto-OMG IT ATE TWO POSTS OF MINE. And I never used it again. I cannot tell you how much I freaked. Freaked. I am a Firefox MAC user. Perhaps it’s better/easier for PCs, but if I was on a PC I’d be using Windows Live WRiter as I hear that’s the best. But for MAC there is nothing. There is anohter one that I forget the name of but I also hated it. It required an extra step to upload pics to Flickr first.

What are you using now? Or before your trial of the new software?

xoox

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Averie, I was just blogging through Wordpress, and it took sooooo long to upload pictures. Ecto is much faster, but I’m still trying to figure it all out and actually missing some of the things that Wordpress allowed me to do. I think it will just take getting used to something new.

RunToTheFinish October 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm

thanks for the link! i’m looking for all new ways to incorporate veggies!

on the rocks October 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I definitely prefer meat over tempeh. I don’t mind eating it, but I have kinda of “hide it” in things.

Tiffany S. October 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I’m a Tempeh virgin, but my mom ate it once and said it tasted like the sole of a homeless man’s shoe. Like Averie, I also avoid soy so there’s two reasons I can live without it. Not to say never, just highly unlikely.

I post pics quickly through WordPress but I do reformat them with Photoshop Elements first. I make them smaller and save for web. That’s what takes the longest – then they upload super fast, but then again I post smaller pics.

Seattle’s full of rain (what a shock) and I have a cold so life is moving at a snail’s pace lately.

Weird – my smoke/carbon monoxide detector went off the other day when I ran the Vitamix. It’s now down on the counter with the battery removed. Big help it’s doing there!

Good luck dealing with your frustrations! At least your eats look fabulous!

polly October 27, 2009 at 4:05 pm

hello love bug!!!

Girl.. almond butter is so yummy. Just had to say that. Hope your brussel sprouts and temph and kabacha were yummy!

Did you know I’ve never eaten any of those 3 things, like ever? hehe I know, I don’t get out much. ;) hehe

Love you, my friend. It’s raining today in Indiana too, did get in a short walk to the store for walnuts. I made some new cookies for D today. Okay, gotta clean my kitchen… Ab is done with her homework at last. Almost time for KNITTNG! :D

I might have to eat some beans tomorrow… you made me hungry for my black bean and pumpkin combo. Do beans count as a veggie? hmm. I am thinking yes. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Polly, I don’t know about the beans, but the pumpkin should cover your veggie quota for the day. :)

Samantha October 27, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Need to make this recipe SOON! I’ve been slacking on making meals, we’ve been so busy and so tired. Seems like most lunches and dinners are raw veggies with hummus, or green monsters. Something prepared sounds decadent right now!

I too prefer tempeh to tofu. Not a tofu fan at all. I forgot to pick up almond butter yesterday, have to run back to the health food store today and will snag some tempeh while I’m at it to try this recipe with. Thanks for sharing!

balancejoyanddelicias October 27, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I haven’t tried tempeh yet… some people says it lacks flavor, others love it. So I guess I need to try it to give my own opinion.
which brand do you use Heather?

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Balancejoyanddelicias, I usually just buy the Trader Joe’s brand. It’s cheap and good. :)

missyrayn October 27, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Got any other good Tempeh recipes. I just bought some but don’t know what to do with it.

I just made my first Kabocha tonight. I steamed it and then purreed it with cinnamon, nutmeg, agave and almond milk. So delicious like pudding. I even added some pumpkin granola on top and loved it :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Missyrayn, My favorite way to eat tempeh is to marinate it in Braggs and roast it in a 400 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. However, you can use it in any recipe as you would chicken or tofu. Love it!

So glad you found a kabocha. Your *pudding* sound delicious…especially with the crunchy granola topping. Yum.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 27, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Love tempeh, but I’m meh on the Braggs, though I do use it. Funny story: this weekend I didnt have any worceshire sauce for bloody marys to serve the familia in honor of Annie RHo’s birthday (or it being noon), so I spritzed a couple of Braggs squirts and they said that they were YUMM. I did have one myself and it was good! So there’s another use for Braggs! Bottom’s up! :-) Sooooo off topic, but oh well! :-) Miss you!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl October 27, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Heather, would you believe I’ve never had tempeh?! Nope, I haven’t.

I’m not really a “tofu person” so I guess that’s why I’ve never tried it – that, and I try to stay away from soy in general.

And about the publishing program, I’m using Windows Live Writer (just the last couple of posts) and I’m loving it!

How exciting about the new blog design. It’s always neat to experiment and upgrade and see new designs. :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Michele, I’ve heard only amazing things about Windows Live Writer, but I’m a Mac. I think I can make it compatible, but I’d have to buy a bunch of software. Maybe they’ll make it easier someday b/c I never want to go back to a PC. Love my computer.

MarathonVal October 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I love tempeh too, but I was wondering, why do you say you love fermented vegetables? Is it just for the taste, or do fermented foods have particular health benefits? Thanks Heather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 7:20 pm

MarathonVal, I posted about the health benefits of fermented foods here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/05/30/dont-fear-the-good-bacteria/. :)

Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 27, 2009 at 7:08 pm

I have never tried tempeh but that all looks amazing. I will need to have some in the future, for sure!

eatmovelove October 27, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Okay…so why are alot of people against tofu and soy by the way? Is it because the soy is fermented and difficult to digest? What kind of ‘symptoms’ do you get ?! Like, ‘digestion’ stuff (bloating, indigestion, reflux…is that what you mean??).

I will definitely be doing the tempeh soon Heather! I’ll post pics when I do. Tonight I had tuna (yum first time in a while) and a ‘boat-load’ of veggies – I too eat a ridiculous amount…with spaghetti sauce of course :) (i’ve got a problem I know it’s not normal…)

Oh and one more question!! – what’s your take on meat and vegetarianism/veganism, etc…it seems that so many people/blogs are all about not eating meat and overload of protein, etc…have you heard of Vega products and “Thrive Diet”…similar type of concept…

I’m very confused with it all. And wonder if I would serve my body/running performance better by fueling it differently? But at the same time , I don’t want to ‘eliminate’ anything from my diet and some days I just feel like chicken or fish or eggs and I also adooooore cheese…

Any opinions (from you or anyone !) Thanks! (Oh and love the header – yummy)

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Eatmovelove,
I’ll email you here in just a bit.

Pure2Raw Twins October 27, 2009 at 8:01 pm

We have a Mac too! Have thought about trying Ecto but have not got around to it. We are still searching for something…hopefully soon us MAC users will have a good blogging software ; )

We are not big soy people, does not sit well with our stomachs. We actually never really liked tofu…couldn’t stand the texture. But in the past had tempeh a few times and liked it.

Melissa S. October 27, 2009 at 8:20 pm

i haven’t been able to view your blog either than the mobile version lately but i wanted to say i love the new header!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 27, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Melissa S. Thanks. I love it too. :)

m i c h e l l e October 27, 2009 at 8:35 pm

So glad you tried (and liked!) the recipe! I am going to have to try it w/ tempeh now. Having vegan parents, I have definitely tried it before but it’s been a while.

You inspired me to get some brussels goin’ in the kitchen the other night! ;-)

Good luck on the blog transition … Am looking forward to the new look as I am Lara’s!

Tiffany S. October 27, 2009 at 8:45 pm

eatmovelove – besides making you gassy, the jury’s still out on soy & women’s health/thyroid in particular. I can only speak for myself but since I have a thyroid condition I try to avoid it. (I say “try” because one of my new fave things has a bit of soy in it and I ignore it. I’m not perfect.)

Colleen Cameron October 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Hey Heather!
Love the new layout! The pictures look great!
I had Tempeh for the first time last week, and I must say, I prefer it to Tofu! I love all the big hunks of veggies packed into every bite :D !

Emily October 28, 2009 at 6:31 am

I have loved tempeh when made by others, but I haven’t made a particularly successful dish yet. I’ll have to try again. I’ve also never cooked with Braggs. I’ll have to do some more research.
I can’t wait to try your Kabocha though – looks amazing.

Rosey Rebecca October 28, 2009 at 6:32 am

That chicken salad looks so good! I’ve never had Tempeh. I hear it’s amazing though! :-) Love the new header!

CaSaundra October 28, 2009 at 6:47 am

I’ve actually never tried tempeh yet–so I must!

Scott in Ohio October 28, 2009 at 7:02 am

Hey Heather! The blog banner is looking great!

I’ve yet to try tempeh due to not-so-good experiences with tofu. I love the “good germs” and my sister-in-law speaks highly of it as well so it will make it to my plate soon.

Have a great day! We could use some sun up here in Ohio, too.

Tina October 28, 2009 at 7:23 am

I looove tempeh too. It looks a little scary, but the taste is just so good. I need to experiment making it in different ways. Love the food as always :)

Justine October 28, 2009 at 7:36 am

Loving the get up Heabs! You know how I feel about tempeh :)

~Justine

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama October 28, 2009 at 8:16 am

Wow – I am loving the new site layout! Clean and fresh! :D
Healthy Eating
Tasha

Lara (Thinspired) October 28, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Still haven’t tried tempeh but yours looks like meatloaf, so I would probably try that without fear.
Hey, I just realized that Zesty must have been two-timing us ;)