I Love Fall

by HEAB on October 29, 2009

First off, I must send more love to Zesty for changing my blog header yet again. It’s perfect now, and I love it. Zesty, I promise you no more emails from HEAB. ;)

The rain finally subsided for a few hours yesterday, and I took a little stroll around my neighborhood soaking in all the beautiful fall colors. Since you couldn’t be with me, I took along my camera.

After my lovely walk, I came home to a fall themed bowl of warm goodness.

I made rice cooker oatmeal, and felt a little piggish when I decided on 1 cup dry oats. What can I say? I was hungry. I tried to be more of a Dainty Pig by adding a wee little Honeycrisp apple to the mix. Oh, and let’s not forget the cinnamon, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Our entire downstairs smelled like apple pie by the time my oats were done. Before eating them, I stirred in one scoop of Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder and let the bowl chill in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Delicious and super satisfying. However, there was no nut butter involved. No worries. I made up for that little mishap later in the day.

Chocolate protein ice-cream in the waning almond butter jar.
I’m a bit obsessed with this combo. If only I’d discovered it back when it was actually warm outside. Thank goodness for my Costco HeatDish!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) October 29, 2009 at 2:02 pm

The fall leaves in your neighborhood are gorgeous! Perfect day for a big bowl of oats!

Jessica October 29, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Those are some beautiful fall colors! Unfortunately all of the rain in my area has taken down all of the pretty leaves. I also like this header better. :)

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Pretty colors, I love Fall and think it is much too short of a season.

Love the new layout – Zesty did a great job! And holy yum, that ice cream sounds delicious.

Evan Thomas October 29, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Fall is definitely prime oat season

homecookedem October 29, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Such pretty fall pictures! And I love this header!! :)

Brandi October 29, 2009 at 2:08 pm

what a beautiful walk :)

your oats sound SO good! I didn’t have any today, and now I want them.

Happy Thursday Heather!

Mama Pea October 29, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I’m now convinced that all meals of any kind can be served in a waning nut butter jar. Good use of the word “waning” too. Triple word score on that one!

Leianna October 29, 2009 at 2:09 pm

You live in a beautiful area/neighborhood. Looks like it was a calm/relaxing walk!
And coming home to warm oatmeal sounds amazing!

Tina October 29, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I am silenced by the beauty of Autumn…

The oat meal in a jar is great! I think you might start a trend here ;)
xx

nutritionbyeve October 29, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Love the fall foliage. This weekend, my husband and I spent time driving around the suburbs of NYC (we don’t get out of the city much) and were in awe by all the leaves – it was breathtaking!

VeggieGirl October 29, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Fantastic fall foliage!

Claire October 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Great pix!I wish we had more of a Fall where I live. cc

Graze With Me October 29, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I missed all the fall colors here in Colorado. We had a short summer, followed by about a week of beautiful fall foliage and then it froze killing all the trees mid-color change. Now the trees have brown leaves on them and if you want to see some snow take a look at my latest post!!! Insane, it broke tons of tree branches all over the city too.

I love apple pie oats and that ice cream looks great but makes me a little cold just thinking about it….

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 29, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Gorgeous! Oh and the leaves are pretty too. :)

Kate October 29, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Fall is my favorite season. How could it not be, with all the beautiful leaves and perfect weather?

I think I’m one of the few bloggers yet to try nut butter jar oats. I’m finishing off a jar of AB pretty soon though, so the time is near!

~Jessica~ October 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Those pictures are absolutely lovely :)

I also agree with you that the new blog header is perfect now ~ love it!

I could quite easily have a whole cup of dry ingredients so we can oink along together…though I would never, ever describe you as piggish in any way. Your diet is one of the most healthy and balanced in the blogging community, so there. I think Katie (Chocolate-Covered) and yourself are fantastic examples to everyone.

xoxox

Sophia Pflieger October 29, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I love fall colors too. Leaves me with the warn fuzzies! I just don’t like the super cold frozen stuff that follows fall.

charlotte October 29, 2009 at 3:42 pm

And this is why fall is my favorite season! So pretty!! (love the new layout too!)

Katie October 29, 2009 at 3:43 pm

What a beautiful neighborhood! Oh, and I am becoming an addict of almond butter…I think I may even like it better than pb. :0

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Katie, That’s my girl. :)

Carolyn October 29, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Whenever i have talked about smoothies in the Vita it’s been your ice cream recipe here…almost like frozen marshmallow fluff… only better… It also tastes yummy with Vanilla (whey for me) and some PB2 mixed…but you need a little sweetener in there…a few berries and you have a peanut butter sandwich… I’ve even added a packet of the diet hot chocolate in there…that little 25 calories of hot chocolate yum packs a wallop…

Thanks so much for telling me about the gums… It makes all the difference!

Now i want one…

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Carolyn, I’ve tried the hot chocolate in my smoothie before. Talk about extra chocolate yum. That sugar free stuff good! It tempts me so at the grocery store, but I’ve found an extra spoonful of dark cocoa powder plus a little stevia is almost just as good.

As far as the gums go, thank Smoothie Girl Deb. They changed my life too. :)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) October 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm

lovely photos!

missyrayn October 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I love walks with beautiful fall colors. I’m hoping to take another one tomorrow or Saturday with Hunni.

I loved the other header but this one is great too :-)

Dee October 29, 2009 at 4:19 pm

You live in a beautiful area. All we see right now is white snow! Boo hoo. And your header looks fab!

Erica October 29, 2009 at 4:20 pm

BEAUTIFUL pictures. Josh’s mom mentioned to me that it won’t stop raining there! I hope it lets up for the weekend. haha I’m not sure you can call yourself a piggy for eating oats! Looks like a delicious combo to me- yum to cooking apple smell

Shelby October 29, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I wish I could smell those oats right now! Sounds heavenly!

Diana October 29, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Your neighborhood looks beautiful!

The Foodie Diaries October 29, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Love the header, and all the gorgeous fally photos!

ardickens October 29, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I must say, I was certain that Tennessee autumns would pale in comparison to ours in Wisconsin…I have been proved wrong! The campus is stunning right now! :-)

Kristy October 29, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I’m a lurking frequent reader, and I think I might actually live near you. I’m about 1/2 mile from Belmont. Love the blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Hey Kristy, Yes, you do. I’m off West End near I-440. Small world. :)

Carolyn October 29, 2009 at 5:27 pm

i have that dark cocoa powder and stevia…hummm…will do that next time… duh… that’s why we love ya… seeing the obvious potential in food ingredients, before we all do… see below…

That pie recipe thing still has my brain swirling…!!! Honestly i think i would just immediately eat the bowl of crust fixins and never make the pie… but i am mentally preparing to try the whole thing…

ps… I ate kabocha-wilson roasted whole (muffin ingredient) and roasted the orange semi hat buttercup at the same time… when i opened them up the Kobacha was much darker fleshed inside!!! Both tasted yummy……hummm… i’m moving on to avocados now for a while…hehe

thebalancebroad October 29, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Oh wow, Heather…your pics are absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes I wish I could move somewhere with palm trees and beaches…then I realize there would be no fall. And leaves changing. And I think I would move right back just for that. :-)

I’ve been craving oats more and more these days, too -even for dinner! And sadly this apple lover has never added apples to her oats. On my list to try!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 6:48 pm

TheBalanceBroad, Nothing wrong with oats for dinner. Try it with an apple. :)

MelissaNibbles October 29, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I’m making couscous right now and am tempted to put them in an almond butter jar…

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Melissa, Do it…probably too late now, but try it next time. :)

Abby October 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Beautiful pics.. the changing of the leaves isnt as vibrant in NC as it was in PA.. I really, really miss it!! Fall is a wonderful time.

I am a big fan of rice cooker oatmeal.. it gives it a different texture! :)

Enjoy your scenery!

Susan October 29, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I’m in front of my costco heat dish right now :) Loooove the new header! AND your neighbourhood. I’d be taking the doggies for walks all the time too if I was there :)

Heather October 29, 2009 at 6:04 pm

The new blog is so pretty, but HOLY FALL LEAVES beautiful! We don’t get that down here in Florida :( So sad.

Jess October 29, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Beautiful pictures on your walk–and of your food :D

Yum!

Maggie October 29, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Yayyy for rice cooker oats :)

Katie October 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Oh that is too beautiful! I am so jealous – we are covered in snow here in Colorado. That ice cream combo looks unreal. It’s a must try.

Samantha October 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm

The fall colors sure are beautiful! Makes me miss home!

The new blog looks great and as always, your food looks wonderful and whole and healthy!

Jessica October 29, 2009 at 6:39 pm

The pictures of your neighborhood are gorgeous, I love the new layout!

eatmovelove October 29, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I adore fall. Love love love it. Do you put almond butter or any nut butters in your oats?? I wonder sometimes if I ‘overdo’ the nut butters and trail mix…I eat alot of it during the day…maybe it’s hard on my tummy (I’m just to figure out my belly woes sorry !).

Also – what does that “ice cream” taste like? Could it possibly taste like the real thing?? I like my ice cream harder and not too much like yogurt or soft – this looks melty – although good!

Oh and the xantham – is that natural sweeteners you add? Also curious about recommendations for yogurt?? I love yogurt and get natural plain stuff but usually add honey and berries to it…I also love alot of the commercial brands, which have good nutritional info, but usually have sucralose added (about 15 mg/100 mg)…any opininons?? Thanks.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 7:09 pm

eatmovelove, Love fall so much. Definitely my favorite season!

Never met a nut butter I didn’t like for my oats. I eat a lot as well – anywhere from 2 to 4 heaping spoonfuls a day…sometimes more. :)

My protein ice-cream does not taste like real ice-cream, but I love it. I don’t know if you’d like the texture since it’s a lot like soft serve which is my favorite. It’s nothing but almond milk, protein powder, ice, and the gums. So, fairly plain, but it satiates my cravings for ice-cream.

Xanthan and guar gums are thickeners. You can read about them here: http://www.theglutenfreelife.com/xanthanguar-gum/

I try and avoid dairy as well as sucralose. That being said, I used to be a HUGE fan of Greek yogurt – one of the dairy products I truly miss. Have you tried it? Fage was my favorite, but the Trader Joe’s brand is much cheaper. Get the plain, and add some honey and berries to it – you’ll love it. Super thick and creamy. Trust me, you’ll never buy regular yogurt again.

Katie October 29, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I love FALL! Only reason why I seriously don’t think I can leave a place that has seasons :) Um aren’t we all gluttons? I made sweet potato fries for a snack just because that is what I was craving… CRAZY craving!

Erin October 29, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Beautiful fall picures Heabs! Love the new blog layout and pictures too. Very clean lines! :)

I’m thinking of trying some of the Jay Robb’s powders. I’ve become obsesseddddd with making breakfast smoothies and the Whey powders are just grossing me out. I know you recommend Jay; do you think that would be a good place to start??

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Erin, I love Jay Robb’s rice protein powder. His whey used to be my favorite back in my dairy days, and the rice took some getting used to. Not sure if you would like it if you don’t like whey. What is it you don’t like about them? The fact that they’re dairy, or is it the taste? As far as rice powders go, Jay Robb is my favorite (stick to chocolate or vanilla. Strawberry…not so much), and Sun Warrior makes a good one as well.

joelygolightly October 29, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Ah, you captured my fav part of fall- the gorgeous leaves!!

Chris Hill October 29, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Hey Heather !

Great pictures!

I need to try some of those recipes! ;-)

I weighed myself today and I went down to 187 lbs!

Chris

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Awesome Chris!

Liz October 29, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Love love love all the fall colors! I wish we had them over here in CA.

balancejoyanddelicias October 29, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I love love fall colors! It’s soooo pretty! It makes me happy just being outside! :)

Melissa S. October 29, 2009 at 7:55 pm

wow…so beautiful at your home!!! i wish mine looked like that!!!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 29, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Oh, how I love the fall too! The pics of the leaves are beautiful :) Oats too, ha ha…

Pure2Raw Twins October 29, 2009 at 8:47 pm

We love fall…one reason why we moved to NC from Florida. Love the changing of leaves : ) oh and cooler weather is a plus too.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 29, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Wow, that is one thing I can’t get in So Cal *unless in the mtns* is those COLORS!!

Thanks HEABS for the gum shout out- they changed my life too! :-)

Must.Get.Ice.Cream.Maker.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 5:58 am

Deb, No ice-cream maker used. Just lots of ice (2 handfuls) and the gums in the Vita-Mix.

Julia October 29, 2009 at 11:34 pm

The new header looks fantastic! And thanks for the fall color tour! I’m missing most of it here in Cali!

Erin October 30, 2009 at 6:32 am

I wish we got pretty leaves like that here in wilmington, NC. If only I could have gotten a few days off to make it toward the mts…but no luck. Next year!!! I miss pretty trees! love the fall…leaves, oatmeal and squash! :)

beforeandforever October 30, 2009 at 6:45 am

What a beautiful neighbourhood.

I have some AB left in a jar and I may try my oats in a jar over the weekend – I have been inspired by you to do it for ages but haven’t got round to it yet!

Anne October 30, 2009 at 6:52 am

The only thing sad about this post is that you feel piggish for your choice of 1 cup. NO worries about that; I live with the motto that a person should never feel guilty for those things. And 1 cup of oatmeal is so normal! Maybe I will try to break into the Jay Robb or Sun Warrior. I can only handle 1\2 scoop at a time though because anything more just lies in my stomach like a log.

CaSaundra October 30, 2009 at 6:58 am

Love the header! :-) It fits the blog peeeerfect.

Your neighborhood looks so charming–at least
you got beautiful fall foilage, we didn’t get
barely any! :-(

Nicole October 30, 2009 at 7:27 am

I love fall too. The only things I don’t like are shorter days (clocks back this weekend! BOO) and that it leads into winter. I’m hoping that being in VA will help take the anxiety off of winter, since I hear it’s much milder here than in Boston and upstate NY. Makes complete sense, but I won’t believe it until I see it…(such a skeptic)

Tina October 30, 2009 at 7:28 am

My campus is full of beautiful trees right now! I love it. Leaves are so pretty, and I love the huge piles of them on the ground.

One of my pb jars is getting dangerously low…it’s almost time for oats in a jar :)

Ozlem October 30, 2009 at 7:53 am

Heather.. You are solely rsponsibl for my kabocha squash addiction. Latly I have ben skipping the oatmeal chia and all and eating roasted kabocha with pb or ab or whatever I hav on hand. Simplicity at its bst..So I chcked out the caloris in kabocha and I was amzed that 1 or 3/4 cup of it is only 30 calories!! Can this be true?? I am shocked, tasts so sweet and ummy. Sorry but I do not miss the oats. And ys I have also tried pb and kabocha (move over jams, preserves etc) sandwiches on sprouted bread. Yummy.. What do you think??

Love!! Thank you!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 30, 2009 at 8:50 am

Ozlen, I know – I’m the same way. Although I still love my oats, I now eat kabocha every night after dinner and just restocked my supply yesterday. It’s amazing with nut butters and toast! I have to be honest – I’m a little skeptical of the calorie content as it’s so sweet and delicious, but I read the same thing, 30 calories per cup, Someone told me that’s makes it less calorically dense than an apple. I like the sound of that…not that I’m counting. :) Hope you have a wonderful squash-filled weekend. Love, Heather

glidingcalm October 30, 2009 at 8:25 am

love your headerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
soo perfect for you!!

your neighborhood is lovely!! beautiful colors… I haven’t noticed much of that yet…….but I also haven’t been looking too hard. I need to take a break from the books and appreciate Autumn!

gosh protein ice cream looks amazing….i wouldnt totally make it, but am afraid it would be poopy without jay robb.

love youuuuuuuuu HEABERS!

anne October 30, 2009 at 8:32 am

Love the fall foliage photos!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 30, 2009 at 9:11 am

Wow, so beautiful! I’d do all of my exercise outside if my streets looked like that right now!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 30, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Love the new header!

The trees are so gorgeous!

Rosey Rebecca October 30, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Beautiful pictures. I love the fall!

JessinNYC October 31, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Aw, is that Belmont Blvd? Even if it isn’t it reminds me of that street and your photos make me me miss that neighborhood.

Heather Eats Almond Butter October 31, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Jess, Nope, it’s Whitland Ave…not too far from Belmont. I used to live right off 12th South – love that hood!

Blair Rowan November 1, 2009 at 8:57 am

Hi neighbor! The lulu girls have been talking about your blog and I just now put 2 and 2 together. I can’t wait to try out some of your recipes! I’m revamping my diet…trying to take out gluten and dairy…so this should help. So good to see you yesterday and I’m sure I’ll see you on the mat soon:)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 1, 2009 at 9:08 am

Hey Blair, Isn’t our neighborhood beautiful right now? I love all the colors! Good to see you yesterday as well. So excited about the new store. Thanks for reading my blog – I don’t do much gluten or dairy, and so hopefully, you’ll find some helpful recipes. See you soon and enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Love, Heather

Jill Mann November 1, 2009 at 11:20 am

You are living in a post card picture. I am from Texas and we do not have all the beautiful colors like that. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

thelocalguide November 1, 2009 at 7:39 pm